Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    It's not a commercial site (it's gov. of Canada) so it should be ok to post it.
    http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/menu.htm
    There are other sites as well, and a few people are importing for profit. I hear Toyota is suing one of them.
    I just Googled for "Importing a vehicle from the US into Canada".

You should make sure the US dealer will not pull any "bait and switch" activity before going down. You'll need three copies of the documents to cross the border, as well as a letter from Toyota that the vehicle meets certain standards, and you will be expected to pay duty (6% I think), and GST. PST may be in there too depending on where you are. The taxes are additive on the duty - i.e. the GST is on 106% of the US price you paid. I don't know about the PST - we don't have it. ;)

Once in Canada you will have a limited time to "bring the car up to Canadian standards". This will probably just be DRLs. A Toyota dealer can do the DRLs for you for $250 (from someone in BC who imported theirs). I'm not sure what they do. Mazda vehicles with HIDs use a separate bulb for DRLs. Some other vehicles (such as the Chrysler mini-vans) use the orange running lights.
    Canadian Tire has the contract to do the final inspection.
    It should be possible for a Toyota dealer to switch the "market zone" or whatever it's called in the cars' software to Canada, so everything reads metric. Not sure about this though. If not, the odometer will be stuck in miles. The speedo and the rest (I think) will switch to metric with a button on the dash.
    Once the inspection is passed, you can register the vehicle.
    You will need temporary reg. and insurance -before- you leave Canada (unless you trailer or truck it up).

One of the sites you will find if you google gives detailed step by step instructions.

The guy in BC I "met" on PriusChat saved $5500 or so. We figured about $5000, allowing $1000 for "travel expenses". A local dealer has offered me $2500 below invoice. Tempting. I -would- like the HID headlamps though. They are very effective.
  • cruising7388cruising7388 Member Posts: 125
    You may still be able to qualify for the HOV sticker if you
    act promptly after taking delivery. For starters, check with DMV now to determine if the county in which you will register this vehicle will result in a reqirement that you apply for a Fastrak pass and transponder and provide the evidence of this with your application to DMV for the HOV
    stickers. If you do have to open an account with Fastrak,
    remember that the application form for the Prius is a hybrid application form rather than the standard one.
    As soon as you have evidence of the Fastrak account (assuming you need one) send your application for HOV stickers off to DMV. BTW, they will only accept the original confirmation of the account that comes with the
    transponder. No copies accepted. Do not wait until your plates arrive which may take months these days. Send your
    application with a copy of the temporary registration.
    DMV may bounce your application because you don't have
    plates yet, but at least it puts you in the queue.

The Corolla is a dynamite car and you can really deal
    on that car. However, the Yaris has been eclipsed by the
    Honda Fit which is receiving rave reports. More important,
    even though the Fit is strictly a gas engine model this
    year, it was designed to incorporate a state of the art
    Hybrid power plant which is rumored to go into production
    in 20078 or 2008. I hazard the guess that the Prius will
    take a hit when the Fit Hybrid hits the street. But, rumor
    also has it that by 2008 the Prius will have evolved into
    essentially an electric vehicle using lithium batteries
    with a gas engine assist when needed. Exciting, eh?
  • nycdragonnycdragon Member Posts: 14
    Just wondering whether I am eligible for $3150 tax credit if I will take delivery of 2007 model by 9/31/06? Does the credit apply to 2006 model only?
  • kienkien Member Posts: 5
    I have also pre ordered a 2007 Prius, and hoping to take delivery by 9/30/06. I called Toyota of America, the person I talked to said the '07 Priuses are "trickling" in.

I have read a couple of conflicting reports. One says it does not matter what year model as long as you take delivery of a new Prius by September 30.

Another report says the '07 Prius is not on the IRS approved list.

Personally I feel it is a matter of time that IRS will add to its approved list.
  • ck90211ck90211 Member Posts: 159
    Theoretically any new Prius place in service before Sept 31 will get full credit, 2006 or 2007. But my Toyota salesman estimated that 2007 Prius won't arrive in soCal (probably earlier than rest of the US) until early Nov. Even if he was blowing smoke, a 2007 Prius would have to be on a ship or loading in Nagoya now (late August) to make it to your dealer by mid to end of Sept. Best to check the Toyota production schedule online (I think some earlier postings have the URL) and decide for yourself. Personally I am waiting for my 2006, hopefully arriving in a week or 2.
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    the gov will recertify the 2007 model for the credit after it comes out
  • yuanyuanluyuanyuanlu Member Posts: 3
    Can anybody who has a HOV sticker in California tell me if the sticker is generic or has a identification number on it? I need HOV for my work-home commute but I heard HOV stickers are running out. I just bought a prius yesterday at MRSP.
    This needs some clarification. I assume you mean that a 2007 model will qualify for the Federal tax credit but isn't it nevertheless going to be the reduced credit of
    $1575 or are you saying that they will reinstate the full
    credit?
    The HOV sticker is not generic and has a serial number. It also comes with a certificate. Consequently, it can not be transferred because it is only valid on the vehicle for which it was issued. Also, as a practical matter, the stickers are of the type that destruct if you attempt to remove them once they are applied. Some folks have put the stickers on a sort of post-it note clear adhesive that can be removed without defacing the stickers but as a practical matter they could only be used on another Prius or other HOV eligble hybrid. But it would be illegal to use them on any vehicle other than the one for which they were issued.
    While isn't a high liklihood, a traffic officer could demand to see the original certificate issued with the stickers to determine if the certificate details matches the vehicle bearing the stickers. If they didn't, you could count on your whole day being ruined.

Yes, it is getting late in the day for getting these stickers because the enabling legislation puts the program into limbo after 75,000 have been issued to give DMV an opportunity to study the traffic impact of the program. So there is no guarantee that the program will croak but there is also no guarantee that it will be continued either. Get your application in ASAP after you receive a temporary registration. Also, determine whether you are in a jurisdiction that will require a Fastrak account for applying for the HOV stickers. It's required in all of the Northern Cal Bay Area Counties. Don't know what the situation is in SOCAL. And remember to keep copies of all your paperwork. All documents for the HOV application have to be originals. DMV has a penchant for returning applications with xeroxed copies.

Re the MSRP purchase price, you didn't steal it, but you didn't get hosed either. And this puppy will save you big bucks on gas. I just returned from a trip to Lake Tahoe from the Bay area, through the Sacto flatlands, up into the Sierras and return driving at the Prius sweet spot which I find to be around 62 mph. Mileage was 55 MPG on the nose, verified by the return fillup. That's not too shabby! So you pay through the nose for the vehicle, but it keeps dribbling back to you a buck at a time.

BTW, there's enough public resentment regarding the HOV propgram by the gas guzzling community without unnecessarily aggravating it. Prius owners with HOV stickers driving in the HOV lanes should avoid driving at 35 MPH to get their nine zillion miles per gallon while
    a hundred drivers behind them are gritting their teeth and cursing the day the hybrid was ever built. Particularly in the HOV lane, the name of the game is to go with the flow.
    Prius drivers who want to maximize their fuel savings should move over into the Granny lane. That's where you'll find this frugal dude!
    Pathstar

You're correct that both VSC and side/rear curtain airbags are useful safety devices and I'm in agreement with Consumer Reports that critical safety features should not be an option in a modern vehicle but a requirement for every trim level of any model sold in CONUS.

However, I don't think your "big however" is correct, (but understandable) because of the murky marketing of the Prius
    by Toyota. Yes, in the 2006, the side/rear curtain airbags are an "option", but it's an "option" for which there is no option because you can't by a Prius without this "option".
    If you look at any of the 8 packages offered, this "option" is included so there is no way you can exclude it, even if it's one's poor judgement to do so. The 2007 Prius is expected to have a 2% increase in MSRP but that is based on the MSRP of the Package #1 2006 model which includes the airbag array. So by all means correct me if I have this wrong, but the way it appears to me is that the 2007 model will have a 2% increase across the board for the packages offered and that the airbag array will simply become a standard feature. Any way you slice it or dice it, that adds up to to the MSRP of any 2007 package costing more, not less money than its 2006 counterpart.
    "Do these dealers think buyers are lazy/stupid/ignorant?"

Well, they don't think that all buyers are lazy, stupid or ignorant, but they well know that some are. Let me frame it this way - There are three kinds of people in this world:

1. A bunch of people that make it happen

2. A bunch of people that watch it happen

3. The hapless remainder destined to plaintively whine,
    "What happened?"

Anybody in the business of selling anything will make that rough estimate of the potential customer in front of them and arrange the pitch accordingly. For example, often you will find, at an auto dealer, an entry on a vehicle sticker called ADM (After Dealer Markup). I've walked into the dealership and asked a saleman why he would want to insult my intelligence that way, and his immediate response is to tell me to disregard the ADM markup. I ask him why they bother to do it at all and in a moment of refreshing candor, he responds that some people just ante up and pay it! Welcome to Category 3!

What you have to understand is that the brick and mortar auto establishments are relatively inefficient market places with respect to the dynamics of supply and demand. The inventory and integrity of each dealership may in no way resemble the dynamics of another dealership within easy driving distance. However, the internet branches of these dealerships operate in a highly efficient market structure that approaches the efficiency of the stock market with respect to the dynamics of "bid and ask". Brick and mortar operations start with MSRP or higher and work down toward dealer invoice. The Internet counterparts invariably work from dealer invoice and move up toward MSRP from invoice. Consequently, while excessive markups are not unknown by internet sales operations, it is not usually the case.

Couple these factors with the fact that internet purchasers are much more informed about the product and its value than walk-in trade because of the wealth of information available to them prior to making any commitment. The best example of this is the forum in which we are now participating. The Edmunds website with its fact packages, TMV analysis, and user forums is the most powerful tool ever provided to consumers to level the playing field between buyers and sellers in the auto market. These people deserve a medal for the billions of dollars they have saved consumers willing to spend the time to exercise some due diligence. And they don't ask us for a nickel of what we save!
    Well put, cruising. I guess even in cities like LA, there are people who don't go online, or don't pick up a car buyers guide at local grocery stores, and they are the one that dealers "business" managers skin. Update on my Prius ordeal. While I was waiting for my Prius, another dealer called and offered one (red) at MSRP; they had originally asked for $3000+. I went over, checked it out, and offered $500 less (not a big fan of Toyota red because a fear of fading). They decided they want to wait for 2 extra days, which they did sell at MSRP. So I am back waiting. Looks like SoCal Prius supplies is still tight, and probably will be tight until after Sept.
  • pragmatist1pragmatist1 Member Posts: 26
    Where are you getting this price? I couldn't get them below essentially 22000 + tax, tags, title (including any of their fees) in March for the package 2.
    Well, I have always shied away from red in the past because of 1) the tendency to fade and 2) the issue of bleed through if you ever wanted to repaint with another color.

I'll have to say this, though. I have a 2000 Toyota Tacoma truck in red which was not the color I would prefer. But the truck is six years old now and has received absolutely no TLC and has spent these years in a coastal environment.
    But if I wash it and throw a coat of wax on it, it looks like the day it was delivered. So I'm beginning to wonder if the evolution from flat enamels of yesteryear to the current paint technology hasn't mitigated if not eliminated the fading issue. BTW, the Prius Red color, IMO is just gorgeous! The car looks great in that color - some of the other colors don't do the lines justice. I opted for white because my wife has a thing about high visibility for vehicles and white scores well in that category. An expected plus for me is that in a white Prius, my wife looks 20 years younger! I'm not kidding! Twenty some thousand bucks for the Prius is peanuts compared to what I'll save in ponying up for cosmetic surgery. ;-)
    thanks for your reply. Thank goodness that I don't reside in bay area that requires fasttrak on HOV sticker application(although I have an account for regular), but I do work in bay area, so I definitely need this previlige. Can I apply for sticker before I get license plate number? You were saying temporary registration,how to get it? We got temporary identification yesterday at the dealership, but isn't right that we need license number also? This thing takes about 6-8 weeks!
    Cruising, agree with your opinion on Prius' Barcelona Red, very nice. But I think 04 or 05 Prius may have a darker shade of red, which I fear, because I have a 95 Previa of the same color, that's really faded and scorched (white blotches on roof) from 7 years of west LA sun (it was garaged until then). And mine isn't isolated; every Previa I seen in SoCal have faded/scorched paint, all except white ones (because it hides better). I tried rubbing compound but couldn't bring the luster back. Had an old Benz that's hardly washed (and never waxed), and looks better than any Previa in SoCal. I figure since I need to drive my Prius at least 10+ years, best choose one that won't fade/scorch. Yeah, prejudice and fear die hard. I hope this Prius will change my perception of Toyota red/paint for the better.
    SOCAL has its hot days. The car looks awful (IMO) in black but kind of nice in white which is the best color for those hot days.
    The temporary registration is the paper you place on the windshield while DMV hunts around for some convict to bang out the plate. You can go to the DMV website to download an application. Put HOV in the search box and it will take you to a bunch of links, one of which is the application. In the application, put pending in the license plate box and include the original copy of the temporary registration and make a copy of it for your windshield. In the worst case, DMV will bounce the application as "incomplete" for lack of a license plate number. But it puts a firm date on record of when you made the original application which may be of help in getting you in under the wire later. And remember, if you are delayed until you get your plates, so is everyone else. I think you have a good chance of getting the stickers if you can get the registration process started out right away. Good luck!
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Twenty some thousand bucks for the Prius is peanuts compared to what I'll save in ponying up for cosmetic surgery

Now that's funny. I have also followed your other posts and agree wholeheartedly. Especially with the courtesy advice for those that want to squeeze every mile out of a gallon of gas.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large national news magazine is looking new Toyota owners that switched out from a Ford vehicle with their new purchase. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, August 23, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information, what Toyota car you purchased and what Ford car you left behind.
  • hvysnow1hvysnow1 Member Posts: 3
    I've been looking for quite a while now and finally pulled the trigger last night. I decided on a Prius instead of the TCH and HCH based on overall gas millage advantage, increased interior space, tax credit
    and LCD. I really liked the TCH and the styling is much nicer than the Prius, but that extra 10 mpg was a kicker for me. I felt the TCH and Prius both outperformed the HCH which was my third choice. I got a great deal from Charles Barker Toyota in Va Beach, VA
    MSRP - 26, 321 and I Paid - 25, 421. They provided a fair trade-in value for my Honda Pilot, but both selling price and trade-in value took a good deal of back-and-forth with the salesman. All-in-all a good experience. :D
    I pulled this information from a .pdf file on www.greenhybrid.com. Looks like the base prices will actually be cheaper with the increase in standard options, but the Touring Edition will run you a little higher. All prices MSRP.

5-DOOR LIFTBACK $22,175
    5-DOOR LIFTBACK Touring $23,070

OPTIONS
    Package #1 - $825 - Backup Camera, Smart Key System, AM/FM/CD/MP3 w/6 spkrs

Package #2 - $1175 - Vehicle Skid Control, Backup Camera, Smart Key System, AM/FM/CD/MP3 w/6 spkrs

Package #3 - $2550 - Backup Camera, Smart Key System, JBL Premium AM/FM/CD Changer/MP3/Bluetooth w/9 spkrs,
    Vehicle Skid Control, Security Alarm, Homelink

Package #4 - $3,180 - Backup Camera, Smart Key System, JBL Premium AM/FM/CD Changer/MP3/Bluetooth w/9 spkrs,
    Vehicle Skid Control, Security Alarm, Homelink, HID Headlamps (standard on Touring model), Fog Lamps

Package #5 - $5,080 - Backup Camera, Smart Key System, JBL Premium AM/FM/CD Changer/MP3/Bluetooth w/9 spkrs,
    Vehicle Skid Control, Security Alarm, Homelink, HID Headlamps, Fog Lamps, Nav System

Package #5 - Touring Edition Only - $4,455 - - Touring Edition: Backup Camera, Smart Key System, JBL Premium AM/FM/CD Changer/MP3/Bluetooth
    w/9 spkrs, Vehicle Skid Control, Security Alarm, Homelink, Nav System

Package #6 - $6,350 - Backup Camera, Smart Key System, JBL Premium AM/FM/CD Changer/MP3/Bluetooth w/9 spkrs,
    Vehicle Skid Control, Security Alarm, Homelink, HID Headlamps, Fog Lamps, Nav System, Leather Steering Wheel &
    Seat

Package #6 - Touring Edition Only - $5,725 - Touring Edition: Backup Camera, Smart Key System, JBL Premium AM/FM/CD Changer/MP3/Bluetooth
    w/9 spkrs, Vehicle Skid Control, Security Alarm, Homelink, Nav System, Leather Steering Wheel & Seat
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Well, yes and no. The 2007 will cost more, option for option, than the 2006. It's not easy to do the math because the package options for 2006 have different contents than 2007. But there is one exception - the 2006 Package #8 is identical to the 2007 Package #6.

2006 MSRP = 21725
    Package #8 +6890

TOTAL $28615 for 2006

2007 MSRP 22175
    Package #6 6350

TOTAL $28525 for 2007

So yes, it's true that this particular configuration will
    cost you $90 less in 2007 than it does in 2006. But note that in 2006, the VSC option was not provided on Packages 1, 2 3 or 4, while in 2007, VSC has been included in every package except Package 1 which bumps the price of those packages $350. I'm of the personal opinion that this option is certainly worth $350, but for those folks that don't want or need VSC, there is no way to deselect this option without taking Package 1 which won't even be available in many parts of the country.
    Hvysnow1, congrats on a great deal. I have no such luck in SoCal. In fact, my dealer (Miller Toyota in Culver City) has not even entered my order (Prius #3) for the past 2 weeks, and instead said they can offer me a Prius #1 for $28000 because it has leather, lojack, etc. I am thinking, why in the @#!% would you put leather and crap in a car that has no NAV, Smart Key, VSC, etc. The markup many SoCal Toyota dealers charge is insulting enough, but adding valueless blings in a plain car is really over the top. Anyhow since I laid deposit I continued to look for #3 at other dealerships, and hopefully someone will turn up one soon. I too compared Prius to TCH and HCH, and decided on Prius because it is the best bang for the buck. TCH base would be better if MFD/LCD is included, and HCH feels too much like a regular Civic, plus the hybrid in HCH seems to be an afterthought. Congrats.
    I purchased a prius last weekend and sales recommended Lojack for my new car. We wanted a peace in mind so we purchased it for $695. Anybody here also purchased Lojack? How was the deal? We still can cancel the deal before they install it this weekend.

Thanks!
  • hybridturtleghybridturtleg Member Posts: 5
    My dealer has alerted me that the car should be coming in the next 5 days. Needless to say, I am very excited... :shades:

My question is - what do I have to be careful of at this point? We already agreed upfront on MSRP, which seems standard in the Bay Area. He promised a fair trade-in value for my SUV (which he preliminarily estimated through Edmunds figures, amounting to about $2000 below Kelley - any suggestions on this?). And I've told him that I'll be paying cash.

Based on what I've read, I know not to purchase the extended warranty through the dealer. Are there any other surprises coming my way? LoJack? Mats? Paint? Tires? I'm not the car whiz here - have never actually purchased a car on my own in the past - so any heads-up or words of advice would be much appreciated! Thank you. :)

PS. Think i can make the car pool sticker?
    I guess it depends on the reason you want it. My understanding is that Lojack is essentially a system to recover a stolen car. However, I don't think the Prius is particularly high on the list of car thieves who seem to
    focus on the Accord and the Camry.
    Go over the car with a fine tooth comb for scratches, dings etc. If there are, either arrange for them to be fixed at their expense or work out an adjustment in the MSRP. Don't leave the lot with verbal assurances. Got to be in writing.

It's supposed to be delivered with a full tank of gas. It's actually computed into your MSRP.

If you are paying MSRP for the Prius you should get a robust tradein on on the SUV and while it's not realistic to get the full Kelly blue book value, it should approach it. The utility of Lojack depends upon the theft rate where the car will be principally garaged. I believe that fiber mats front and rear are included in the MSRP as an option you can't refuse. If you are not getting the mats as part of MSRP I would avoid getting the Toyota mats because IMO they are overpriced for their quality. Toy also provides heavy duty deeply ribbed front and rear black mats which are of excellent quality and less expensive. Some Prius owners have used Costco rubber floor mats which can easily be shaped for the Prius.

I would avoid any paint protection options. Tires ...well they are always a compromise on vehicles trying to get the highest MPG possible. Some owners strip them immediately and replace them with performance tires. I've never felt that the OEM tires are that bad performance wise and unless you have hot rod genes in your DNA, I think you will be satisfied with the OEMs.

When you are passed to the finance office you will get a strong pitch to buy both the extended warranty and also the prepaid maintenance policy. No harm in passing on both at this point.

After market. A set of seat covers will probably more than pay for themselves at the point you sell or trade the car. There are excellent covers available from GT covers. They have a web site.

Don't get uptight if your MPG is not as high as the figures recited in this forum. It takes a while to get fully tuned into the technique that maximizes mileage. Also, it is widely reported that mileage improves after the car breaks in a bit. One tip ahead of time: Cruise control is a mileage killer except on essentially flat terrain.

And yes, I think you have a good chance of squeaking in for the HOV sticker. In the worst case, even if you don't, the stickers expire on Jan 1, 2008 at which point either the entire program will crash or you may have a fresh opportunity to apply for them.

Anyway, you're in for a treat driving this car. It is a whole new driving experience.
    CK90211, sorry to hear about the pain you folks go through in CA. Here in the Mid-Atl. most dealers have between 2-5 Prius' on the lot and usually 1 or 2 TCHs. I talked to many that have sold vehicles to SoCal individuals. Not sure if this would work for you, but I know www.fitzmall.com has a good listing of Prius' and they are all listed under MSRP with minimal processing fees. You might be able to save a few thousand by having a car shipped to you from a dealer over here. In any case good luck!
  • hybridturtleghybridturtleg Member Posts: 5
    Cruising, thank you - that was exactly what I needed! Who knew that a brand new car could still have dings? Very helpful. And will post on the final dealer experience when I am through (buying from Berkeley, who claims to be the largest dealer in Prii in the country).

Can't wait to join the community and play the mileage game...
    Hvysnow1, thanks for feeling it for us in SoCal. I actually spend a lot of time in DC area (family there too), and aware of discounts. But I decided to buy in SoCal, for the extra CARB states warranty, and because added costs for driving back to CA (gas+hotl+food). Id on't mind driving 1 day for discount, but 3-4 days is a bit much. Hope you are enjoying your new Prius, as I am sure I will enjoy mine (when it gets here). While I am waiting I am thinking maybe I should splurge for Nav, ha, more money out of pocket.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    I live over in West Marin, so all I hear ad naseum on the radio is: :Nobody, but NOOOOOOOOOOBODY beats Berkeley Toyota!!!!

BTW, remember that the Prius is built pretty low to the ground so when you pull into a parking space with a header curb, stop short of it or you will hear an obnoxious scraping sound. It's not visible and it's not serious but it sounds ugly enough to want to avoid.
  • mjtianmjtian Member Posts: 48
    Hi, I am from the STL area and was wondering if anyone has any experiences with their purchase of the Prius here in STL? Any suggestions or horror stories? I purchased my current Camry from Lynch and have bought from Lou Fusz in the past. I have to admit, I love Toyota vehicles but am not a big fan of their dealerships. I am looking to dump my Camry for a pump friendly Prius in the near future. Any comments will be appreciated.
    I have no info regarding Prius marketing in the St. Louis, but IMO, you have to do some math before making a purchase decision:

1. I'll hazard the guess that the production of the 2006 Prius has come to an end and that they are tooling up for 2007 production. That means that 2006 availability will be limited to vehicles still in the market stream.

2. The $3150 Federal Tax Credit will drop to $1575 on October 1, so to get the benefit of the full credit you would have to have this vehicle delivered to you by September 30. If that is not practically feasible, then you should wait for a 2007 model.

3. Even if you can sneak in under the Sept 30 deadline, you will be buying a vehicle that for resale valuation purposes will be one year old within weeks after you buy it. Unless you operate the vehicle for more than five years, that loss of resale value is probably greater than the $1575 hit that you will take on the tax credit after October 1.

4. Although the packages for the 2007 model will be a little different, the 2007 is essentially unchaged from the 2006 model so it isn't going to release a lot of pent up demand which could drive up dealer asking prices. MSRP for 2007 will be nudged up a little but this is offset by the inclusion of Vehicle Stability Control in all but one of the 2007 packages.

What I would do is determine if the Prius package you want is immediately available off the floor from dealers in your area and if not what the wait period is. This will clarify where you stand with respect to the tax credit. Then I would determine the depreciation for a year old 2006 Prius and make the decision on that basis.

Regarding dealerships, like any other business with branches, some are great, some good and some pretty bad.
    The best way to sort that out is by recommendations from friends, neighbors etc. But despite what you may hear, having your maintenance work done by an independent mechanic will not invalidate the warranty. Actually, there is very little maintenance required on the Prius - oil and filter changes plus routine inspections. For warranty repairs, of course, you will have to use a dealership. The standard warranty is 3/36 but the battery warranty is extended to ten years and the emission control warranty is also well extended.
    Concerning when Toyota ends 2006 Prius production. I used to work for a JPNese company supplying machines to Toyota assembly plants in JPN/Worldwide, and typically everything is built by June. Besides some obvious reasons, many JPNese companeis do this because most companies now have a weeklong holiday in July, so they need to get last year's things done before letting people off. And July is typically when factories do shut downs for change-overs, cleaning, maintenance, etc..
    That certainly consistent with the Donlen tabulation for the Prius which shows that the final order for the 2006 was supposed to be entered by 5/10/06. Orders for the 2007 are accepted on 6/12/06. Intial 2007 production starts in 08/06 and initial delivery is scheduled for 10/06. So interestingly, while consumers are snapping up 2006 models as fast as they trickle in through the distribution chain, the factory is already building 2007 models for distribution in October. Because the Prius is so unique, it has no direct competition, so their release schedule is relatively unaffected by the competition. Knowing that there is a real world customer out there to purchase every Prius you can build, must make for a comfortable nights sleep for the movers and shakers in the Toyota Prius building and marketing teams. It's such a disappointment that our domestic giants, Ford Chevvy and Chrysler have not had the same success. Why are we such slow learners?
    Since all Prius (for worldwide) come out of 1 factory (I think), the annual production runs probably ends even sooner than June. The factory I was more familiar with produces Corolla (only) and that runs longer (till June). In regards to easy life Prius team has, no team at Toyota has easy life (even no Toyota suppliers have easy life). But I admire Toyota for taking a leap of faith (and sunk lots of money) on hybrids back in the mid 90's, for the exact reason you (cruising7388) said, to get into something that has no direct competition. Japan's $6-8 a gallon probably helped solidify their resolve (to develop hybrids) too. Taking a leap of faith is tough to do for any Japanese because of risk aversion, but for Big3 there is simply no excuse (because Big3 constantly talk about "INNOVATIONS"). What sickens me more about Big3 is their responses to hybrids so far. First they bad mouth it. Now they talk about how flex fuel, E85 will make SUV's and trucks better than hybrids. Pretty soon, they will demand the feds to buy out their pensions. But they still won't have a viable technology/product. I guess Big3 knows that no US politicians want to be responsible for US auto demise, so they can "white"mail themselves out of this jam. Sorry to stretch this Prius discussion beyond its scope.
    I am tired of waiting for SoCal dealers to deliver a Prius before end of Sept. at MSRP. Also kind of apprehensive about missing the Sept. tax credit deadline. I think all 2006 Prius have been allocated, and not much more will come to SoCal this coming month. I am planning to shop around DC area, any suggestions on dealers and likely discounts (at end of the month)? Is VA/MD a CARB state? Who else is a CARB state? Thanks.
    Sorry, I don't have any info regarding DC area dealers

Have you tried other dealers in California, preferably in the outlying areas rather than urban areas? No, Maryland is not a CARB state but it is a good state to buy a Prius this late in the year. Fitzgerald Auto Mall in Gaithersburg is a high volume Toyota dealer and they get a large Prius allocation. Check out what is coming in on their website: www.fitzmall.com. BTW, the vehicle will require a California registration to qualify for the HOV sticker. That might, however, be academic because apparently the program is going to be put on hold before too much longer.

CARB states are as follows:

California
    Connecticut
    Maine
    Massachusetts
    New Hampshire
    New Jersey
    New York
    Rhode Island
    Vermont
    Cruising, thanks for your prompt response. I am checking Longo Toyota (supposedly biggest Toyota dealer in the world), and they may have one in soon enough. Plus they seems to have firm allocation, not wishful alloation. I may also check other dealers more inland of LA, perhaps more chances, since western LA (where I live) is too rich and too image conscience (meaning lots of people on waiting list and paying MSRP+). I would bet Hollywood (and immediate vacinity) has a large Prius population. Perhaps I try NJ too, since I can bum free living from family. By the way, what is the extra CARB-related warranty? Is it a 15 year coverage on emission/batteries? Thanks again.
    A dealer you might try is Thompsons Toyota in Placerville.
    Give them a call and get the contact for their internet sales and try that. They are more out in the sticks where it's truck and SUV country where the demand for hybrids is not as strong as it is on the coast and in urban areas.

Re the warranties:

The basic bumper to bumper warranty is 3yr/36000 except for wheel alignment and balancing which is covered for 1yr/20000.

The powertrain is covered for 60 months or 60,000 miles whichever comes first.This includes the engine, transaxle and front-wheel drive system. Corrosion warranty is for 60 months, unlimited mileage.

Where Federal and CARB protection departs is with the emission control systems and the batteries.

The Federal emission defect is for 2 years/24,000 but the terms of the Toyota Basic Warranty bumps this up to 3 years/36000. The Engine control module , Catalytic Converter, the battery control module, the malfunction indicator light. battery and the hybrid control module is covered for 8 yrs/80000

The CARB state program provides a 15 year 150,000 miles warranty for any emission defect which includes:

Engine control computer module
    Throttle body
    Intake manifold and intake air surge tank
    Catalytic converter
    Exhaust front pipe
    Exhaust Manifold
    Fuel tank
    Battery Control computer
    Generator
    Hybrid control computer
    Inverter with converter
    Motor
    Coolant heat storage tank.

The only item not covered in this warranty is the Hybrid battery which has a 10 yr/150,000 mile warranty.

If there is anything above that needs clarification, you can talk to the California Air Resources Board at 800 242

IMO, the CARB warranty is a definite plus. It makes substantial portions of the Toyota extended warranty (4-7 years) redundant.
    Cruising, thanks so much for a very detailed explaination on what's covered regularly and in CARB states. It sure make a lot of sense to buy in CARB states, since everything on your list would cost thousands, and warranty is almost twice as long. I will check Placerville for sure. Thanks.
  • librarychick94librarychick94 Member Posts: 4
    Hi all:

I'm in North Central Indiana and am buying from a local Toyota dealer. The salesman is related to my best friend and I leased a Camry from him in the past. That helped me get a good deal on my trade-in, but I still don't have my Prius!

To give him some credit, I want a certain color and a certain package and he is having to find me one. I could have had a silver Prius pretty much that week. For that kind of money, I'm getting what I want. :D

So far, I'm fairly pleased with the price. Although, spending this much on a car is a new thing for me. I dont' have the paperwork on me, but I believe these numbers are pretty darn close. With tax it comes out to about $25,500, with package 4. The mats are included in that price. I believe the price on extending the bumper to bumper warranty was $885.00. Sounds like I got a fairly good deal on that.

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I'll post again once I actually get the car. I've done my research and I'm feeling pretty good about purchasing it. All the forums were a great help. Thanks to all who post!

LibraryChick94
    I don't know what it is about libraries but they sure are great places to find attractive and bright chicks. In my college days, that was always the best place to find the crem de la crem.

Re the extended warranty, there are some things you should keep in mind: There is no hurry to purchase an extended warranty - if you want one, you can purchase it any time during the basic three year warranty. Additionally, if you have purchased an extended warranty, you have 30 days in which to request a full refund.

How well you have done on the extended warranty depends upon what warranty coverage is involved. The warranties available are:

3/50,000
    4/65,000
    5/60,000
    6/75,000
    6/100,000
    7/75,000
    7/100,000

Any of the above can purchased with either a $50 deductible or a $0 deductible.

Which warranty are you purchasing?
    Cruising you have such mastery of words. I checked Thompson/Placerville and no luck. No more 2006.

With Labor Day coming I thought more Prius would be available in LA for sales. Found most dealers away from coastal LA have 1-2 Prius on the lot, but loaded with add-on's. No one has white, not sure it's because no one else like White, or White is first to go. Found a blue with leather added, dealer wants $ 1200 (started at $2000), I offered $ 500, no deal yet. I am with Librarychick, for this kind of money, I too want it my way. But I find myself weakening on colors, prices, etc.. I guess fighting over $500 for a car I am going to drive for 10+ years is kind of pointless.
  • bayareashopperbayareashopper Member Posts: 4
    I've been thinking about buying a Prius since December of 05. I finally bought July 4th weekend. I e-mail blitzed about a dozen dealers from Salinas to Sacramento to Santa Rosa (I live in the East Bay) Most of the bay area dealers wanted to sell at MSRP or above, and required a wait list/deposit. Tracy Toyota e-mailed me the next morning saying they had the car, and would hold it for me if I came to get it the same day. I told them I didn't have a lot of time, and they let me fax my insurance info and drivers license ahead of time so they could start on the paperwork. They also faxed me a quote with the price and VIN# on it, so I could confirm they had the car and the price. I told them I didn't want the extended warranty or prepaid maintenance contract, and they didn't pressure me at all. I think I was in and out of there in about 1 hour-1 1/2 hours. (It would have been less, but I wanted to test drive it, and I hadn't set up insurance under my own name (I was on my parents insurance) so that took a while to set up. Note: I paid cash, so it might take longer if you do financing.

I paid approximately $250 under MSRP (or maybe not... when I compared to the Edmunds MSRP price,it wasn't $250 under because there wasn't an option for the floor mat/trunk mats which I got charged extra.) Anyhow... I paid approx $23,8xx + tax 8.25% + registration, came to $26K and some change out the door.

Tracy Toyota was efficient, pleasant, and quick. They even rushed to get my registration to the DMV so I could get my Lic # more quickly to sign up for the carpool lane sticker. I got my plates in less than two weeks. Sorry, this is long, but I think this dealership gives a buyer a great buying experience.
  • bayareashopperbayareashopper Member Posts: 4
    I forgot to mention that the $250 discount under MSRP from Tracy Toyota was for the Costco program.
    White is a funny color (or non-color). Most colors, people either like or hate. Nobody loves white but nobody hates it either so it turns out to be a good marketing color. Also the safety factor of high visibility adds to the marketing strength of white.

You really have to consider at this point whether it wouldn't be more cost effective for you to wait for a 2007 model that would exactly suit you.

But I think that your conviction that you will drive this beast for 10 years won't come true. If it was a standard design vehicle, that is certainly feasible. But in hybrid design, the evolution will be lightening fast by comparison. I hazard the guess that by 2008-2009 there will be a a fully electric Prius that uses the engine as a backup - just the reverse of the current technology. If you are driving your Prius for more than 4-5 years, I would be surprised.
    Cruising, I hope to get White because (1) it doesn't fade and hides dirt well, (2) I am going to do some marketing logo on my Prius, so everything stands out on a White car, and (3) stays cooler in hot climate.

I don't doubt the new Prius, whenever it does come out, will be even better. But for me I have driven my last few cars 13 (still have it), 12, and 7 years (sold it because $$$ Benz maintenance). And I got a teenage son who will be driving soon. So I expect the Prius to stay within the family for a long time to come. If I have urge to drive a new Prius I guess I will just need to have rich Prius friends like you. ;)

With long term in mind, waiting for a 2007 does not make too much sense, since I lose 1/2 of the tax credit, and the 1 year newer depreciation probably won't make much difference 10 years from now.

Gas in SoCal is dipping below $3 again! So perhaps Prius fever will be over soon. Until next spring/summer.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    I'm not familiar with US tax law, or how Congress handles things like your tax credit. However, after reading these and other forums for the last few months, I'd be very wary of using the tax credit in your assessment of when to buy. I've heard lots of people reporting they will not benefit from it, others reporting it gave them $500.

Bottom line, better talk to a tax accountant before acting on the assumption you will get to claim the full amount !
This discussion has been closed.