Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• swiftlivesswiftlives Member Posts: 8
    I just got quoted $25,877 OTD for a Package 3. That includes $339 Tag/Tax/Title fee.

Personally, I'm thinking I should get the price closer to $25k, but I'm not sure if that's realistic.
  • pragmatist1pragmatist1 Member Posts: 26
    According to Edmunds, they quoted you about $1400 over invoice, plus the tag/tax/title fee, which also includes profit for them. Not to mention that the dealer also gets the holdback, which is I think two or three percent. I am getting phone calls frequently from dealers who know I'm thinking of buying. When I went into a dealership to test drive on Wed afternoon, there was absolutely no one in the place. I would bargain very hard - things are completely different from where they were this past summer.
  • deltaforcedeltaforce Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a new package #2 today for $23890, but what a battle.The car I had been bargaining for on the internet was sold by the time I got to the dealer. Needless to say I was a little upset. Now is the time to buy. I walked out three times and they kept luring me back. I think I could have saved a couple extra hundred, but four hours later I was spent. It really pays to do your homework on all the package deals and cost. Numbers were flying like fur at a cat fight. This was not the experience I had hoped for. I thought dealing on the internet would save me all the hassle.
    It must have been late that night that I wrote about my purchase experience because I actually paid $22890. Invoice was $23068 I still think in retrospect that I paid too much given the economy. $22688 should had been my target. I still ended up with the color I wanted, so I can't kick myself too hard.
  • pragmatist1pragmatist1 Member Posts: 26
    Was it a 2009 base model package 2? What part of the country are you located in?
  • szilberszilber Member Posts: 2
    I just got a 2009 with package 5 at invoice. Think I left anything on the table?
  • scottc3scottc3 Member Posts: 137
    The question is, are you pleased with your purchase? If so, don't mind what we tell you. If you feel you got the car for a good price do you need verification from us to confirm this?

Be happy with your purchase.

sc
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    It's the PRICES PAID forum..

We are here to discuss prices..

Happiness? That's just a fortunate byproduct.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I'm in So Cal. The Prius was a Package #2.
  • rayskumrayskum Member Posts: 1
    bought a package2 today for 23K + taxes(Chicago). Negotiation wasn't easy. They bargained for last $50 also. I am not sure if it is below invoice but I think it is a fair price. This is definitely a buyer's market. Don't hesistate to bargain hard.
  • LKC77LKC77 Member Posts: 1
    That's the car I want with package #2. I like the price you paid. Which dealership in So Cal?

Thanks!
  • HelloWorld2HelloWorld2 Member Posts: 1
    I saw the posted special ad at

http://www.toyotapaloalto.com/onlinespecials/onlinenewcar.jsp?ptitle=New%20Vehic- le%20Weekday%20Specials

The dealer is in the San Francisco area and I believe it is for package #2. The price $21,888 looks pretty attractive.
  • krishreddykrishreddy Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

I bought a 2009 Prius Touring + Option Pkg # 6 + Preferred Accessory Package for $27,800.00 out of the door from Dublin Toyota, in the SF Bay Area.

Here is the breakdown:

26323.06 -- Prius Touring + Option pkg 6 + Preffered Accessory Package
    2176.19 -- Sales Tax (Contra Costa County, CA)
    55.00 -- Doc fees
    245.75 -- License, Registration, CA Tire disposal fees
    ---------------
    - 1,000.00 -- Toyota rebate
    ---------------
    27,800.00 -- Out of the door
    --------------

I paid cash + credit card for the purchase.

cheers,
    Krish
  • gerry10gerry10 Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone have the Toyota money factors for the 2009 Toyota Prius Option #5 and Option #6 for the month of January that would be great. I'll also need the residual percentage please.

Thank you very much for the help.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi gerry10. Toyota is not currently providing lease support on the 2009 Prius. As a result, if you want to lease one through Toyota Financial Services, you will have to use its standard lease program. TFS' standard buy rate lease money factor is .00295 for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Tier 1+" credit tier.

TFS' residual values for this model vary by term and mileage allowance. You never mentioned what either of these variables are, so for now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. The 36 month, 15k residual value for any '09 Prius is 61%.

The problem with this number is that TFS places restrictions upon what options can be residualized. This makes it very difficult for consumers to calculate the actual dollar residual values for specific units. It is so tricky that TFS provides dealers with lists of the actual dollar residual values for the units that they have in stock rather than relying on them to calculate them on their own. As a result, it is difficult for consumers to calculate sample lease payments for Toyota models on their own.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Thank yo so much for the reply Car_man.

Toyota seems to enjoy making some things complicated with purchasing a car, and this residual issue is a prime example.

Anyway, I think I can at least get a close idea for a payment with your numbers.

I am thinking about a 36 month 12K or 15K lease. Any idea about the residual for the 12K lease?

Thank you again for the help!
  • alt6alt6 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Krish,

You got a great deal! I was at Dublin Toyota today(1/13/09), and coudn't get the same price. Would like to chat with you if you had a few minutes.

Thanks,
    Al
    atejwa@hotmail.com
  • 3c33c3 Member Posts: 76
    Like the gas price, Prius prices have gone up since a couple of weeks ago.
  • tivorewardstivorewards Member Posts: 1
    Got an email from a chicagoland dealer today ... Email basically says the Prius's aren't in as much demand since gas is down. They claim they have inventory and that they will let all prius's on the lot go for invoice.
  • krishreddykrishreddy Member Posts: 3
    Hi Al,

Could have been that it was an end of the year special.

Around the time I was in the market for a Prius (last week of 2008), I saw a similar price quote on craigslist from a dealer in Oakland who was quoting $750.00 below invoice. It was for a Prius Touring with Option 6, with a few more options in addition to Option # 6, such as glass breakage sensor, ipod kit, etc. That deal would have cost me $28,600 on road.

I decided to go with Dublin Toyota because I live pretty close by and I did not need the additional options that the Oakland dealer was offering.

A couple of days back, I was talking to the sales mgr at Dublin Toyota, who mentioned that they got a lot of calls from all over CA, after I posted my experience and they may not offer the same deal anymore.

Good luck,
    Krish
  • ralphwiggum1ralphwiggum1 Member Posts: 31
    anyone finding a great deal in california around the bay area? wondering if it's worth waiting for the 2010. yeah, i know it's going to cost a bit more, but since i'm not seeing any great deals right now...
  • DolsDols Member Posts: 1
    A NY dealer offered to take $25k for a 2009 Prius with package #5. That included the recent $500 rebate, but I had to pay docs ($300) and registration ($150). Does anyone know if this is a good deal? Or should I wait for the 2010? Thanks.
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    In a nut shell....It's "GOUGING!!" Look...the paperwork is an angle for the dealer to grab profit under the guise of legit charges. If it were reasonable charges they would be in the range of $100.00 to $150.00....more than fair tack on charges. Some dealers only let you know these inflated charges at the time of closing. Buyer beware. It pays to know.

P.S. I sold cars for 5 yrs. I know of what I speak.
  • cmyawncmyawn Member Posts: 51
    Hello All,

I am in heated negotiations with a local NC dealer on a Prius Touring Model Package 6. He has agreed to price at invoice. He claims a money factor of .00274, which is better than I had hoped, but he claims a residual of only 59% for a 36 month, 12,000 mi/year lease. That seems low.

I am hoping for a residual of 62 or 63%. What is the official Totota Finance number for a Touring Model package 6 with 36 months, 12,000 mi/year?

Thanks

Mike
    Someone here probably knows this better than I do, but it seems that each Toyota car is residualized differently and the dealers get the residual number for each car from Toyota. I have also heard that the higher up you go in option packages the lower your residual tends to go. I hope that helps.

Oh, and for what it's worth in my state (KS/MO) Toyota just yesterday (1.14.09) started a $750 dealer cash incentive with the Prius.
  • cmyawncmyawn Member Posts: 51
    Gerry10, Many Thanks.

In looking at the incentives page on edmunds.com, that is also true in NC. So a dealer selling at invoice is still making the $750. Plus holdback. Plus his dealer prep profits.
    i have an offer for $24100 for the same car (package 5). i'm also in the same boat as you--wondering if prices will come down in the next few months because of the economy, the honda insight, or...
  • ck90211ck90211 Member Posts: 159
    Sorry my post has nothing to do with new Prius price paid, but just wondering what people think my 07 Prius (pkg 2) w 25K miles and CA HOV sticker would be worth, if I sell it (SoCal or NoCal).

I hate to even consider selling this car. I love HOV privilege, the free parking (in LA), the mileage, the cleanliness, etc.. But I am also moving to Virgniia where the CA HOV sticker is no longer useful to me.

So thinking about selling it in CA, then maybe buy another one (or something else) once in VA. Not even sure I am selling it but just wondering what I can sell it for.

Thanks for any feedback.
    what color is it? i might take it off your hands for you--easiest sale you ever made huh? haha
    It's silver. I know it's way too common but sure made it easy to stay clean and looking new.
    let's email--you can find mine under my profile.

james
    Hey Ralphwiggum, thanks for your interest in my Prius but I decided to keep it for now (it's loaded onto a auto transporter earlier today). This Prius is growing on me, and who knows, I or someone in the family will be back in CA before we know it (and putting the HOV sticker back into good use). Plus I really don't see any replacement for it, other than another Prius, and I rather have the sticker to go with. Thanks anyhow.
  • dogsonboarddogsonboard Member Posts: 23
    Seem to be quite a few Priuses in inventory on dealer lots here in Pacific NW. One salesperson said: gas at $2 and recent huge snow pushed people to trucks / SUVs, away from Priuses.

Is below-invoice or at-invoice OTD reasonable to aim for? I have an MSRP minus $1250 offer in hand (no negotiating -- called, he offered) from one dealer on (Base + Pkg 3) but am likely to shoot for invoice OTD. Thoughts?
  • Sunny369Sunny369 Member Posts: 11
    I am in Seattle and I am also interested in Base + pkg 3. Could you be a little specific about what the invoice price for pkg3 is? Although I saw the invoice price for base model is 20,900 online, I cannot find what the invoice price for pkg 3 is. The lowest price for Base+pkg2 I received from dealers now is 22,500, but I think it could be lower.
    i believe invoice for package 3 is 22959.

for a package 2, i'm also getting quotes around 22,500. with the 1000 dealer incentive, i think we should be getting invoice pricing (or below), but so far none of the dealers around me, San Francisco bay area, will go down to invoice.
  • joeforjobjoeforjob Member Posts: 37
    Dols,

Where did you get this offer? Could I have the dealer name? Thanks.

Joe
  • newhonda4menewhonda4me Member Posts: 8
    Hi,
    I'm in PA and was considering trading in my Accord for a Prius. Im attracted to a used 2008, base Package #2 with 13,000 miles which has a 100000 mile warranty worth $1400. So here is my dilemma: a dealer is offering a new 2009 at $23234 (inludes the $750 incentive), but the used 2008 is $24389. I cannot understand how they expect to sell a used car for more than the used car. This makes the new car attractive, but shouldn't I get a better price on the used car? Any insight is welcomed. I also understand the 2010 is being introduced in a few months and the price of the 2009 is expected to drop or be sold as a lease car.

Should I just get the new car or try to deal down the used car?
    Call me confused: I'm getting "vehicle inquiry report" pricing from dealers that includes the following line-items, all added to get the "invoice price":

Base price + options + destination charge + TDA + gasoline + dealer holdback + Whsl. Financial Reserve.

This seems wacky -- aren't holdback and fin. reserve, the last two items, amounts that the manufacturer gives to the dealer to compensate them? I'm thinking those should not be added to get a true invoice cost that the dealer has incurred -- the dealer hasn't paid holdback or fin. reserve, have they?

Oh, and TDA, which a dealer has explained as a share of national advertising costs -- is that in your experience negotiable?

TIA.
  • Sunny369Sunny369 Member Posts: 11
    For me, I will definitely get a new one because I can get sales tax exemption in WA but not for an used one. At the same time, that 100,000 mile warranty is standard, which means you also can get it if you buy a new 2009 Prius. I prefer to get a new car, but it is your decision. :P
  • barginbbarginb Member Posts: 3
    Hello
    I am really surprised at the price you paid. I was just quoted 24800 O T D in Reno Nevada for a 2009 and I thought that was 600 dollars to much. Could this be because you purschasedyour Prius in August when the prices were high?
  • newhonda4menewhonda4me Member Posts: 8
    See, that's why I'm confused. I'd prefer new too, but it's the warranty that's the attaction. In WA I'd make the same decision as you. Here in PA, there's no longer any tax exemption and the warranty is only for 36000 miles. Only the used Prius have a 100000 mile warranty. Thanks so much for your insight though!!!
  • jack008jack008 Member Posts: 2
    can you tell me which dealer did you buy from? does $22890 include factory rebate, detestination fee, tax, and doc fee?
  • jack008jack008 Member Posts: 2
    is it after 1000 factory rebate or before? I think price is very good if it is before factory rebate
  • velo2k77velo2k77 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a new 2009 package 2 prius back in October and the warranty is 36000 miles bumper to bumper. 100000 on the hybrid system. Then I also believe the drive train was warrantied for 60000 miles. I would think a used prius would carry any remaining warranty depending upon how many miles they put on it.
  • dvinedvine Member Posts: 1
    Any opinions on this lease?

Any suggestions for a good online or telephone lease advisor?

Bob Richards Toyota (SC) I reside in Aiken, SC

2009/1224 A
    Silver Pine Mica/FA 41
    MSRP $23,375.00
    Package 3 $2,555
    Delivery, processing and handling fee $775.00
    "Extra Value Package MSRP Discount -$450
    Total $26,255

Closed end lease worksheet from dealer:

36 months, 15,000 miles/year
    Selling price $24,711.25
    $300 SC sales tax & $39 registration
    Subtotal $25,050.25
    "Administrative" fee $895
    "Closing" fee $499

Gross Cap Cost $26,444.25
    Cap Cost Reduction - Rebate/non-cash credit $2262.68
    Adjusted Cap $24,181.57
    Residual Value $15,061.68
    Total Depreciation $9119.89
    Monthly Depreciation $253.33
    Monthly Rent Charge .00279 (Approx. 6.7%) $109.49
    Total Rent Charge $3941.63

Base Monthly Payment $362.82
    Total of Base Monthly Payments $13,061.52

No Security Deposit indicated on worksheet

--------------------------------------------
    Residual Value Calculation
    MSRP $26,424.00 (on lease document)
    Difference of this number from sticker MSRP of $23,375 = $3049+

Difference of $1930+ when Package 3 costing $2,555 is included in sticker MSRP
    (Does not include the delivery, processing and handling fee of $775 or $450 discount).
    x 57% residual = $15,061.68
    -------------------------------------------
  • barginbbarginb Member Posts: 3
    We just took delivery of our 2009 Prius with package # 2. The vehicle inquiry report had the same stuff as yours. It was very confusing so we said we don't care about all this mumbo Jumbo, we would like the car for this price. We were about $1200.00 apart so we agreed to split the difference. we got the car for $23000.00 plus taxes. We may have shaved $300 off that but we didn't feel like going through the hassle of driving 30 miles to the nearest other dealer and starting all over again.
    Our advice is to forget all the charges they add on, just give them the lowest price you are willing to pay and deal from there. When we got the invoice all the numbers had been adjusted to the price.
  • mokiavellimokiavelli Member Posts: 60
    I just went to carsdirect and put in the same options as krish (touring, package 6 & preferred- msrp 29,444). Came up with $26,641 plus tax, license and fees. That seems to be baseline. I would think most dealers can beat that.
  • mokiavellimokiavelli Member Posts: 60
    Sorry to respond to my own posting. Keep in mind, in about 3-4 months, the redesigned 2010 Prius will be coming out. I would say target below invoice minus the rebate in Nor Cal or So Cal.
  • RobynnRobynn Member Posts: 18
    After several dealers and phone calls, I finally got the invoice for the 09 prius with package 5 before the 500 rebate. I have not made my decision yet and would like to see if it's a good deal.
    I was hoping to get 500 below invoice on top of the rebate. Any tips on how? :)

i'm in southern california.
    In which state did you pay 23K + tax for Prius Pkg 2? I'm in WA.

Thx
This discussion has been closed.