Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Congratulations on getting your new Prius, LAPRguy. Thanks for taking the time to give back and share the details of your lease with everyone. If you'd like, you can also hop on over to the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience with others as well. Enjoy your new ride :shades: .

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • mokiavellimokiavelli Member Posts: 60
    Tracy Toyota in Northern California e-mailed me that they are offering 5 Priuses w/ MSRP of $24,095 for $18,997.

On a separate note, if you go to Carsdirect, you can get a package 2 for $21,331 in Northern California. So, most dealers should be able to go much lower.
  • MobyJayMobyJay Member Posts: 4
    wow... who at the dealer I should contact to get this price? Would you mind sharing?

Thanks,
  • mokiavellimokiavelli Member Posts: 60
    You should be able to contact the internet department. The person who contacted me was mbedolla at tracytoyota dot com
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    This week I had the oppertunity to get aquainted with the "new" 3rd Generation Prius in the Windy City. The new one is very similar to the 2nd Gen. Prius. There are subtle differences exterior wise but the big difference is mostly interior. The center console is much different and should prove popular to most folks. The dash layout is improved and all previous Prius owners ..get ready to relearn where all the gadgets are. The upscale (loaded) Prius finally has a sunroof although it looks awkward in the open position. Then there's the "solar panel" on the roof. Simply put, it looks cool. Door sills have lited "PRIUS" nameplates. There are subtle things like fancier Hdlites and taillites but overall again I say, not as much of styling changes as many fans were hoping for. Oh, some upperend models have extending steering wheel, better drivers seat adjusters, and, while your looking for cupholders that have been relocated, you can ponder the higher price that seems to be coming our way. No offering as of yet but I'm guessing starting price in the area of $25-$26K and loaded way over the $30 plus bracket. We'll see pretty soon. I'm guessing late spring.
    Hi Xcarsalesman. What you heard is correct. The cash incentives that Toyota is currently providing on the Prius are not compatible with its special lease program.

Car_man
    Host
  • arsenalfanarsenalfan Member Posts: 3
    I'm in the same boat and would love to know where you end up buying. Looking for package 2 (or higher) and so far Jim Coleman (Bethesda) has internet special on their website for $21993; Koons says the lowest they'll go is $21999 via email salesman. I'm trying to do mostly via email (first one to $23000 OTD wins). Where'd you find the $23400 OTD person? Going to buy by end of March.
  • myboyslandcmyboyslandc Member Posts: 5
    Warrenton Toyota offered $23370 OTD, Koons and Leesburg Toyota were both around $23700 OTD. If you aren't buying until the end of March you should definitely be able to get $23k OTD considering the 2010 comes out a month or so later. You can probably do better than that.
    Thanks for the info and please let me know what you do! I'm undecided on a car (we need a car whose sole purpose is non-rush hour commuting 15 min one-way) - and are flipping a coin between the Fit (but no VSA unless $19k OTD), Prius (23k OTD currently), Mini ($23k OTD), and perhaps Mazda 3 hatch ($18k OTD).

Between the $18k Honda Insight and the 2010 Prius coming out in March, I think the 2009 Prius will drop further in price in March/April (provided the dealers still have them). Jim Coleman had 9 package #2s on the lot yesterday.

In the end what it comes down to is me figuring out what perks are worth what to me (ie Mazda's 0% financing, Prius' Smart Key and 46 mpg average, Mini's fun factor but have to drive to Sterling VA for the free service).
    Hey I saw your Priuschat posting that you scored a package 6 for $25xxx OTD - would you tell me the dealer and salesperson in NVa? If I could replicate that, I'd buy right now (leather, smartkey, everything...wow, sweet deal)!!

Thanks.
    It was Koons Tysons Toyota. I'm not allowed to mention the salespersons name per the forum rules. In the interest of full disclosure I must say that a new salesperson had apparently misquoted me a package #5 price and the sales manager agreed to honor the quote. It was about $25750 OTD. I can't believe they'd do this for me if they weren't making something, so maybe you can just e-mail all of the area dealers and see if one of them will do the deal at that price. It even had wheel locks, mats, cargo net, and bumper applique installed! Plus I had no trade and bought no extras so they didn't really have any other room to make something back. Good luck!
  • nissan1207nissan1207 Member Posts: 12
    A dealer is quoting me 26,500 OTD for a prius with package #6 (price includes the 750 cash rebate).

Is this a good price? This is in Seattle - I would like to make a purchase either this weekend or next. I could also wait till the end of March if there's a possibility of getting a better price than what I would get today.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!
  • joeforjobjoeforjob Member Posts: 37
    How much is the selling price after rebate before tax, document fee? Which state are you? In the end of March, you should get a better deal. Good luck!
    Base price = 23,375
    Total Accessories = 3,150
    Destination charge = 720

Total = 27,245
    Rebate = 750

Final OTD = 27,245 - 750 = 26,495

The dealer didn't mention any taxes or document fees. I'm assuming OTD means the price includes taxes and any other charges. Isn't that what it is? Please let me know.

This is in the state of Washington.
  • joeforjobjoeforjob Member Posts: 37
    Are you sure that your OTD price includes tax, document fee and DMV? If yes, the price is good. If no, you may wait a better price until 2010 coming out. I bought a Prius with Package3 on 1/31/09 and paid $24,2**.** includes tax, document fee......... more. I am in NY and the rebate is/was $500.00 for this car. Good luck!
  • Sunny369Sunny369 Member Posts: 11
    Obviously you didn't do enough homework shopping for Prius :P

I am in Seattle too. I think a big reason for buyers in WA to buy Prius this year is no sale tax. This policy started from 01/01/2009 and it will last two years.
    You are right Sunny369. I didn't do enough homework on the prius. I just know that I like the prius with package 6. Do you think the price quoted is fair? The dealer did give me an indication that if I picked something in stock (which I will), he's willing to sweeten the deal. So what's a good price to pay including everything?
  • dogsonboarddogsonboard Member Posts: 23
    You are being quoted MSRP. There are Priuses languishing in lots all over WA (and other states), so you don't need to pay MSRP. Here's what I'd do in your shoes to save $1K or more (and I live in WA too):

-- Decide if you really need the car now. If not, prices will be better in March, better still in April (as Honda Insights and 2010 Priuses hit the lots, 09 Prius prices will surely drop)

-- If you do need it now, go to http://autos.yahoo.com/2009_toyota_prius_4_door_liftback-price_with_options/ and figure out what the Pkg 6 *invoice* price is. That would be my target.

-- Tell the dealer you'll be soliciting bids from 4-5 others. Then shut up and see if he offers close to invoice. If not, thank him and call 4-5 others and ask what they'll offer. As each one makes an offer, use it in the next call.

For about an hour of work, you'll save $1K or more off of the MSRP-offer you have in hand.
    Thank you. I'll wait till the end of March then. But ...

Does it matter that I don't have to get financing for the car? I mean, the fact that I could pay cash for the car -- will it give me an advantage? I could show up at the dealer's with 24,000 cash and say, "No negotiations" and show him the car I would like (grey prius with pkg 6). Do you think I could do that? Or should I still wait till end of March?
  • dogsonboarddogsonboard Member Posts: 23
    Does it matter that I don't have to get financing for the car? I mean, the fact that I could pay cash for the car -- will it give me an advantage? I could show up at the dealer's with 24,000 cash and say, "No negotiations" and show him the car I would like (grey prius with pkg 6).

There is one advantage: you won't be turned down for dealer-financing ;)

I'll be interested in what others with more experience say on the core question, but my generaly sense is no, how you pay for the car doesn't (or shouldn't) affect what you're willing to pay for the car. Settle the price first, and then it's on to how to pay for it.
  • bob104bob104 Member Posts: 94
    Yes, make the deal first. Then on to how to pay. That's Consumer Reports' advice, too.

Yes, I'd wait until the new 2010 Prius and the Honda Insight come out. I bought an 02 Honda Civic in Sept. 2002, after the 03's had come out and got it for $1600 below INVOICE, not below MSRP. Based on that pricing you would (theoretically) be able to buy an 09 Prius #6 for $23,700 plus tax, tag, docs, etc, about $3,000 less than you are being quoted. The best price is for what's on the lot.
    Prius is very popular in our area and for years they seldom had more than one or two on the dealer's lot. Now there is a row of 20 or so visible from the street. Last year some dealers were getting more than $1600 over invoice. Fair's fair.

Yes, take the time to call around, asking what's the best price they can give you. Make sure it's truly the OTD price. Keep it cordial and don't give them your price until you're ready to say yes if they take it. Just keep asking if that's the very best they can do.

BTW, I think it's worth it to get a transferable extended warranty, especially if you plan on selling the car within the time frame. I got a Platinum (bumper-to-bumper, not including the obvious wear items like windshield, tires, paint, oil etc.) 6yr/100k for $1,000. Negotiate this in the after-deal dealing.
  • seatoyotasalesseatoyotasales Member Posts: 36
    Is the Prius you are looking at in Package # 6 a standard or TOURING model? Makes a big difference in pricing. And by the way, I sell these here in Auburn and they are going away pretty fast. A lot of the lesser equipped packages are hanging around more than the leather/nav ones. Toyota does not tell us in advance what next months rebates will be, if any on the Prius. I can't give my name here but ask whatever questions/pricing info you would like.
    I got my 08Touring6 for $500 more than non-Touring. The Touring is definitely safer with its stability control and wider tires but you spend $500 more, it gets 42 mpg instead of 44 mpg for non-Touring (CR confirms this) and the tires are much more expensive.

All in all, assuming that you don't get the $500 back at resale, Touring costs 1) at least $500 more 2) 13 gallons more a year 3) $200 more per set of tires (originals are good for about 30k miles). That's about $800-1,000 over 5 years. You can replace the factory Bridgestones Turanzas with Michelin Primacy and I think you'll get better wear.
    Thank you all for your help.

Here's one dealer's cost (not quote):

Vehicle base price $21,058
    Package 6 $2,835
    Destination charge $720
    TDA $505
    Gasoline $15
    Dealer Holdback $467
    Whsl. Financial Reserve $233

Total $25,833

Please note that he's just given me the dealer's cost and not agreed to this price. But what's TDA and what's Whsl. Financial Reserve? I read through some of the forums and they said I should be shooting for 5% above the dealer's cost as my final offer. That makes it: (21,058 + 2,835) * 1.05 = 25,087. The destination charge and the toyota rebate cancel each other making my final offer 25k OTD for an 09 prius with package 6. Is that a good price?

Please let me know. Thank you!!
  • nm_socalnm_socal Member Posts: 29
    I purchased my dear Prius in Sept '07, with the intent of keeping it long-term. But our needs have changed, and I am giving serious thoughts to turning it in and getting a Sienna. The payments would remain the same. Monthly gas expense will go up, but that's justifiable.

Can anyone guide me how much the trade could be worth? A dealer has offered $17.5k. An online tool at Toyotas of North America's website (http://www.northhollywoodtoyota.com) gives a range of $13-17k. According to Edmunds, my car is worth $17,400, but ... are you ready for this ... the same car from 2007 is worth $18k.

It's a package 5 (leather seats, bluetooth, reverse camera, key fob, etc. No navigation). Excellent condition. 20k miles.

I purchased extended warranty with the car. It seems I could return it and get prorated balance back. I also got pre-paid maintenance plan (all services for 3 years, to be done at my local dealership). Not sure if that could be refunded. Huge bonus for a local buyer! :)

How can I determine a realistic trade-in value of this car? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am in Southern California.
  • nm_socalnm_socal Member Posts: 29
    Oh ... another question. How is the trade-in amount expected to change once the 2010 model hits the streets? Is it something I should do right away, or take my time. Seeking some guidance.

Thanks.
  • triathlonjtriathlonj Member Posts: 25
    OK - my wife and I are getting serious about purchasing the Prius. We are planning on purchasing a Prius + Package #6, with as minimal as possible dealer extras.

Despite Toyota's pricing structure that makes it hard, if not impossible to compare deals apple to apple (overpriced dealer installed extras)...

Has anyone received a "killer" deal on such a car recently?

MSRP: $23,375
    Pkg#6: $3,150
    Destination: $720

Total $27,245

Edmunds TMV: $25,950

Who has beaten TMV and by how much?

Thanks!

PS: Once we buy ours, I will "show you mine" in return for you "showing me yours"

Thanks!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    Try posting a description of your car here:

Real-World Trade-In Values

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

So - went to the dealership tonight after work.

'09 Prius Base $23,375
    Package #6 $3,150
    Carpet Floor/Trunk Mats: $199
    Vehicle Shield Package: $349
    Window Tint: $449
    Delivery: $720

Total MSRP: $28,242

Dealer Sold it to me for:
    $25,751
    $1,610 taxes
    $189 Title/Licence

$27,550 Out the Door.

Unfortunately Texas requires 6.25% tax (unlike Washington at 0%)

We are signing all the papers and taking it home tomorrow after work. All I have to decide on now is whether or not to take the extended warranty and if so, how much to pay for it.

Dealer Price for warranty
    7 yr, 75,000 miles: $1,545
    7yr, 100,000 miles: $1,945

We shall see...
    DON'T BUY THE WARRANTY FOR THAT PRICE! You can buy it from another dealer for about half the cost. As a matter of fact a popular online Prius Chat board has a dealer that will sell the 7 yr/100k $0 deductible warranty for $990.
    Yup - after poking around the net last night, I gathered as much. I'm going to call around a bit this morning and see what the going rate is.

Looking at a warranty booklet, it appears you can opt for the extended warranty anywhere within the 3 years or 36,000 miles you own the car. I wonder if it would be more financially sound to wait until just before the 36,000 / 3 yr mark just in case an accident occured in the 1st 2.9 years that totaled the car. Are the extended warranties refundable for unused portions?
    So, we got to the dealership after work on Friday. Decided to "kick the tires and light the fires" on the car before going in to sign the papers. We noticed a buzzing sound each time we depressed the brake pedal. We decided to have the mechanics check it out on Saturday before finalizing. Coming home, I read on different forums that this buzzing is most likely the sound of the brake accumulator. It is more audible on some prius' than others. The apparent test for this I read is to turn the car off and pump up the brake 3 or 4 times until the pedal is hard and see if it makes the same sound. If so, it is the accumulator - a common sound.

We're going to call the salesman tomorrow, have him pump the brake and if it makes the same buzzing, we'll go and finish signing the papers.

Does anyone have any idea what the manufacturer rebate will be in March for Texas? Is that decided by Toyota Corporate, or just the regional distributor? Just preparing myself for the inevitable buyers remorse after signing the dotted line tomorrow....
  • jjpriusjjprius Member Posts: 1
    We just signed papers to lease a 2009 Prius yesterday and just when we thought we were done the finance man tried to sell us a Toyota extra care platinum warranty (3 yr warranty $865). I opted for 15,000 miles per year so I will likely exceed the manufacturer 3yr/36,000 mile warranty. The finance man tried to tell us that the Toyota warranty is great for the 1st year but that Toyota only covers manufacturer defects for the following 2 years. He used an example of heat (we live in Phoenix) causing an air bag sensor or other computer sensor problem which would not be covered by the manufacturer. Has anyone else been offered this and does this make sense to purchase or skip?
  • rmirmi Member Posts: 3
    Sounds to me like that would be a manufacturing problem. Also sounds like an upsell to me, and I would pass. It was my understanding that Priuses have trouble in the cold, not the heat. So by that dealer's statement, are we to assume that Priuses then have problems in all types of weather?
    Yep, got my 6yr/100k extended warranty for $1,000 direct from the dealer from which I got my Prius. I have to admit that I kinda wonder whether it's a good deal even at that price as the first 3yr/36 are fully warrantied and then the drivetrain is warrantied 6yr/60k and the hybrid components are warrantied 8yr/100k and in CA the battery is warrantied 10yr/150k.
    http://www.toyota.com/prius-hybrid/warranty.html

What sold me on the warranty is that it is transferable one time. My plan is to sell the car at about 5yr/80k with a good year left on the warranty. I'm sure I'll easily get my $1,000 back at that time from a private buyer.
  • lostsailor1lostsailor1 Member Posts: 1
    Buying a Prius within the next several days. Quoted $21,500 out the door for Package 2 (HG). Any thoughts on this price? Seems really good. This includes the $1,000 cash back.

Also, what type of real world mileage are people getting with the '09 Prius?

Thanks.
  • aconsumeraconsumer Member Posts: 3
    "$21,500 out the door for Package 2" seems very good. Which part of the country are you in? Thanks!
  • coolacoocoolacoo Member Posts: 3
    Car_man,

I'm thinking about leasing a prius this month. I am undecided about what package and whether to get the touring model. Can you let me know what the money factor and residuals are for March in Southern California for the various packages and models with 10,000 miles a year? (If you only have the numbers for 12,000 miles, I'll take that.)

FYI these forums are great. I used the information from them last time I leased a car and saved thousands.
  • rxanandrxanand Member Posts: 33
    I am now seriously thinking about a Prius. Currently dithering about whether to get a '09 or a '10. Anybody in this part of the country buy a Prius recently? I am in Bergen county in the northeast corner of the state.
  • pinerivergalpinerivergal Member Posts: 15
    Hi, I am just wondering what the result was with the brake accumulator buzzing... did you end up with the car? Have been seriously considering Touring with #6 for some time now.
    Thanks in advance ;)
  • aconsumeraconsumer Member Posts: 3
    I would not buy 2010 model. New models are often buggy.
    Ya - we ended up purchasing it. I guess we'll get used to the buzzing eventually. It really varies car to car though. We took 2 other prius' for test drives and they did not have noticeable buzzing. I imagine if you try a hand-full of cars at your dealership before picking one out, you will be able to find one that doesn't buzz much.
    Final Breakdown....from closing paperwork...

Civic Pkg#6, window tint, "luster" pkg, floor mats
    Base: $25,893.50
    Sales Tax: $1,605.84
    Title/Fees: $250.66

Total O.T.D. Price: $27,750
  • pvcismyundoingpvcismyundoing Member Posts: 1
    Congrats on your new car.
    I'm looking at the same basic car, I think. Washington State. Was quoted 27444 MSRP, less 1000, less 500 rebate for 25944.
    Also trading in a junker with a "fair" rating for another 1825 off, still 25263 net, seems quite a bit higher than your package 6 car.
    Going to another dealer tonight.
    Did you get a chance to check out from any other dealers? I'm in WA too and would like to buy a prius + pkg 6 this month end. Let me know if you want to negotiate for the cars (yours and mine) together .. I live in Seattle downtown btw.
  • sacramento2sacramento2 Member Posts: 18
    Hi Just wondering if anyone purchased 2009 Prius recently in No Ca? Just looking for recent purchase price before I take a plunge.... Thanks in advance.
  • evadooevadoo Member Posts: 40
    I sent an email to 5 dealerships in Maine and NH requesting the price of $21,500 (plus NH registrations fees) for a 2009 Pine Mica Prius with package #2. The dealership that offered the best deal (Prime Motor Group in Saco, ME) was very responsive, polite, and conscientious at every stop so I have enjoyed doing the deal with them. We settled on an even lower price of $21,150 with 4.29% Toyota financing since other dealers were bidding for our business. :)
    Hi coolacoo. I'm glad that you find these forums so helpful. Here's the information that you're looking for. Toyota Financial Services' current Southern California buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Prius with 12,000 miles per year are .00102 and 61%, respectively.

Keep in mind though that TFS publishes residual value percentages for vehicles base MSRPs. It places restrictions upon what options can be residualized, making its effective residuals lower than its published percentages.

Car_man
    Host
  • thomasnpercythomasnpercy Member Posts: 4
    Any idea on how the introduction of the honda insight + the intro of the 2010 prius might affect the 09 prius pricing? Trying to decide whether or not I should hold off buying a new prius for a little bit..
  • victorias1victorias1 Member Posts: 6
    Hi Sacramento2 - I replied to your post on 03-16, however see it is not listed probably because I listed the name and cell number of the salesperson.

Contact Concord Toyota Fleet department in Concord, CA. They are awesome. I decided against a Prius #6 purchase for the time -- he offered $780 below DEALER INVOICE in writing. However in Jan 09 purchased 2 new Toyota trucks for an awesome deal. They even came to my home in Sacramento to pick us up to make the purchase.

I completely trust the salesperson in the fleet dept. who has been there forever - straight talker and great guy. There is absolutely no pressure. I will try and buy all my cars from this person in the future and that is saying alot as you know how the car buying experience can go! Good luck, I know you will not be disappointed.
This discussion has been closed.