Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• I am considering leasing a Prius. Can anyone recommend a good Toyota dealer in the vicinity of Summit, NJ (07901)?
  • I just bought a 2009 package 2 Prius last week (Los Angeles area) and wish I'd found this forum before purchasing--it would have saved me a bit of guesswork. Of course I'll continue to wonder if my negotiating skills are up to par or if I could have gotten much of a better deal, but the price seems to be in the ballpark. The OTD price was negotiated and the dealer adjusted the base price to meet it.

Price: ~$22,600
    Tax (8.25%): ~$1,870
    License/misc: ~$245
    Docs : $55
    Rebate: ($500)

Out the door: $24,300

Good luck to anyone in the market!
  • No, it was not. They actually offered me a touring model and it only modestly effected the price (maybe $10 a more a month...$15 more down). I really wasn't interested in the touring model or the color they had available in that configuration.
  • LAPRguy,

I just came back from a dealership here in NC. They quoted me 379 + tax per month for a package 2 and 12k per yr. How are you getting a package 6 with the same payment I got. And also, the finance manager swore he never heard of 0.00151 MF. Should I keep looking for a better deal?

Thanks,
    Sam
  • I'm seeing $2000 factory cash splash-ads on some dealer-sites -- Santa Cruz Toyota, and Maita in Sacramento.

Anyone know

a) if this is just Cali or if it's nationwide?
    b) how it's working -- are dealers willing to knock it off MSRP or (invoice + holdback)
    c) if it's combine-able with the still-in-force $500-750-1000 customer cash rebate?
    d) if it's helping dealers *really* deal on prices?

dogsonboard
  • 3c33c3 Posts: 75
    $2000 for Northern CA only. Southern CA is still $500. You can check the rebate available for your area here:

http://www.carsdirect.com/toyota/prius/rebates
  • Hi cmyawn. Toyota Financial Services' residual values are the same for all Prius trim levels. Its 36 month, 15,000 mile per year residual for a 36 month lease of an '09 Prius is currently 61%. The residual for an otherwise identical lease of an '08 model is 58%.

Keep in mind though that TFS calculates residual values differently than all other banks do. It places strict restrictions upon what options can be residualized. As a result, it is very difficult for consumers to calculate dollar residual values for Toyota vehicles on their own. Dealers are actually given a list of the dollar residuals for every unit that they have in stock rather than having to calculate them using the percentages like most other brand dealers do.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • Hi gerry10. Unfortunately, since you have physically taken delivery of your new Prius I doubt that you will be able to get Toyota to renegotiate your deal using the enhanced lease program. Sorry that I don't have better news for you.

Car_man
    Host
  • Hey cmyawn. Unfortunately, what you were told is correct. Southeast Toyota is an independent distributor that uses its own captive finance company, SE Toyota Finance, instead of Toyota Financial Services. SE Toyota is actually a pretty annoying entity. They really only serve to add another middle man to the new vehicle purchase transaction that has to profit from your deal. They usually pack new vehicles with all sorts of annoying, over priced, unnecessary add-ons that consumers in your area have no choice but to get if they want a new Toyota.

I personally am so bothered by SE Toyota's existence that if I lived in the Southeastern U.S. I would choose another brand rather than dealing with them.

Car_man
    Host
  • Hi Gary. If you choose to, you can take advantage of Toyota's special lease program on the 2009 Prius and go with a zero down lease. Even though manufacturers usually include down payments on their advertised leases, consumers are always free to go with a zero down lease if they want to.

If I was in your situation, I personally would shop around in the New York area for the lowest possible selling price on the Pius that I wanted. Once I found a price that I was comfortable with, I would have the dealer calculate my car's monthly payment using its buy rate lease money factor. Toyota Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor for the '09 Prius in its New York region is .00151 for consumers who qualify for its Tier 1+ credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
  • Congratulations on getting your new Prius, LAPRguy. Thanks for taking the time to give back and share the details of your lease with everyone. If you'd like, you can also hop on over to the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience with others as well. Enjoy your new ride :shades: .

Car_man
    Host
  • Tracy Toyota in Northern California e-mailed me that they are offering 5 Priuses w/ MSRP of $24,095 for $18,997.

On a separate note, if you go to Carsdirect, you can get a package 2 for $21,331 in Northern California. So, most dealers should be able to go much lower.
  • wow... who at the dealer I should contact to get this price? Would you mind sharing?

Thanks,
  • You should be able to contact the internet department. The person who contacted me was mbedolla at tracytoyota dot com
  • This week I had the oppertunity to get aquainted with the "new" 3rd Generation Prius in the Windy City. The new one is very similar to the 2nd Gen. Prius. There are subtle differences exterior wise but the big difference is mostly interior. The center console is much different and should prove popular to most folks. The dash layout is improved and all previous Prius owners ..get ready to relearn where all the gadgets are. The upscale (loaded) Prius finally has a sunroof although it looks awkward in the open position. Then there's the "solar panel" on the roof. Simply put, it looks cool. Door sills have lited "PRIUS" nameplates. There are subtle things like fancier Hdlites and taillites but overall again I say, not as much of styling changes as many fans were hoping for. Oh, some upperend models have extending steering wheel, better drivers seat adjusters, and, while your looking for cupholders that have been relocated, you can ponder the higher price that seems to be coming our way. No offering as of yet but I'm guessing starting price in the area of $25-$26K and loaded way over the $30 plus bracket. We'll see pretty soon. I'm guessing late spring.
  • Hi Xcarsalesman. What you heard is correct. The cash incentives that Toyota is currently providing on the Prius are not compatible with its special lease program.

Car_man
    Host
  • I'm in the same boat and would love to know where you end up buying. Looking for package 2 (or higher) and so far Jim Coleman (Bethesda) has internet special on their website for $21993; Koons says the lowest they'll go is $21999 via email salesman. I'm trying to do mostly via email (first one to $23000 OTD wins). Where'd you find the $23400 OTD person? Going to buy by end of March.
  • Warrenton Toyota offered $23370 OTD, Koons and Leesburg Toyota were both around $23700 OTD. If you aren't buying until the end of March you should definitely be able to get $23k OTD considering the 2010 comes out a month or so later. You can probably do better than that.
  • Thanks for the info and please let me know what you do! I'm undecided on a car (we need a car whose sole purpose is non-rush hour commuting 15 min one-way) - and are flipping a coin between the Fit (but no VSA unless $19k OTD), Prius (23k OTD currently), Mini ($23k OTD), and perhaps Mazda 3 hatch ($18k OTD).

Between the $18k Honda Insight and the 2010 Prius coming out in March, I think the 2009 Prius will drop further in price in March/April (provided the dealers still have them). Jim Coleman had 9 package #2s on the lot yesterday.

In the end what it comes down to is me figuring out what perks are worth what to me (ie Mazda's 0% financing, Prius' Smart Key and 46 mpg average, Mini's fun factor but have to drive to Sterling VA for the free service).
  • Hey I saw your Priuschat posting that you scored a package 6 for $25xxx OTD - would you tell me the dealer and salesperson in NVa? If I could replicate that, I'd buy right now (leather, smartkey, everything...wow, sweet deal)!!

Thanks.
  • It was Koons Tysons Toyota. I'm not allowed to mention the salespersons name per the forum rules. In the interest of full disclosure I must say that a new salesperson had apparently misquoted me a package #5 price and the sales manager agreed to honor the quote. It was about $25750 OTD. I can't believe they'd do this for me if they weren't making something, so maybe you can just e-mail all of the area dealers and see if one of them will do the deal at that price. It even had wheel locks, mats, cargo net, and bumper applique installed! Plus I had no trade and bought no extras so they didn't really have any other room to make something back. Good luck!
  • A dealer is quoting me 26,500 OTD for a prius with package #6 (price includes the 750 cash rebate).

Is this a good price? This is in Seattle - I would like to make a purchase either this weekend or next. I could also wait till the end of March if there's a possibility of getting a better price than what I would get today.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!
  • How much is the selling price after rebate before tax, document fee? Which state are you? In the end of March, you should get a better deal. Good luck!
  • Base price = 23,375
    Total Accessories = 3,150
    Destination charge = 720

Total = 27,245
    Rebate = 750

Final OTD = 27,245 - 750 = 26,495

The dealer didn't mention any taxes or document fees. I'm assuming OTD means the price includes taxes and any other charges. Isn't that what it is? Please let me know.

This is in the state of Washington.
  • Are you sure that your OTD price includes tax, document fee and DMV? If yes, the price is good. If no, you may wait a better price until 2010 coming out. I bought a Prius with Package3 on 1/31/09 and paid $24,2**.** includes tax, document fee......... more. I am in NY and the rebate is/was $500.00 for this car. Good luck!
  • Obviously you didn't do enough homework shopping for Prius :P

I am in Seattle too. I think a big reason for buyers in WA to buy Prius this year is no sale tax. This policy started from 01/01/2009 and it will last two years.
  • You are right Sunny369. I didn't do enough homework on the prius. I just know that I like the prius with package 6. Do you think the price quoted is fair? The dealer did give me an indication that if I picked something in stock (which I will), he's willing to sweeten the deal. So what's a good price to pay including everything?
  • You are being quoted MSRP. There are Priuses languishing in lots all over WA (and other states), so you don't need to pay MSRP. Here's what I'd do in your shoes to save $1K or more (and I live in WA too):

-- Decide if you really need the car now. If not, prices will be better in March, better still in April (as Honda Insights and 2010 Priuses hit the lots, 09 Prius prices will surely drop)

-- If you do need it now, go to http://autos.yahoo.com/2009_toyota_prius_4_door_liftback-price_with_options/ and figure out what the Pkg 6 *invoice* price is. That would be my target.

-- Tell the dealer you'll be soliciting bids from 4-5 others. Then shut up and see if he offers close to invoice. If not, thank him and call 4-5 others and ask what they'll offer. As each one makes an offer, use it in the next call.

For about an hour of work, you'll save $1K or more off of the MSRP-offer you have in hand.
  • Thank you. I'll wait till the end of March then. But ...

Does it matter that I don't have to get financing for the car? I mean, the fact that I could pay cash for the car -- will it give me an advantage? I could show up at the dealer's with 24,000 cash and say, "No negotiations" and show him the car I would like (grey prius with pkg 6). Do you think I could do that? Or should I still wait till end of March?
  • Does it matter that I don't have to get financing for the car? I mean, the fact that I could pay cash for the car -- will it give me an advantage? I could show up at the dealer's with 24,000 cash and say, "No negotiations" and show him the car I would like (grey prius with pkg 6).

There is one advantage: you won't be turned down for dealer-financing ;)

I'll be interested in what others with more experience say on the core question, but my generaly sense is no, how you pay for the car doesn't (or shouldn't) affect what you're willing to pay for the car. Settle the price first, and then it's on to how to pay for it.
This discussion has been closed.