Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• whiterice42019whiterice42019 Member Posts: 9
    If anyone would like me to introduce you to my sales guy, please email me at whiterice20@gmail.com. This was purchased in the North east.
    My color was white. If you want me to introduce you to my sales guy please email me at whiterice20@gmail.com
  • sweetoothsweetooth Member Posts: 23
    Is this number 23988 including tax, fees and title?
    I just did :-) Please do email me dealer's info and also please confirm that this price is out the door, right? 21908 includes everything, so tired of dealer tantrums...want to be prepared when i get there...
    Hey 3c3, Victorias1,
    Can you please give me the website for Concord internet department, i would very much appreciate it. I live in the NorthEast and am looking to buy a prius with atleast package 2 ASAP. I am new member to this site and have been trying to read through the links to see what's the best price i can expect to pay for this car.

I wonder if i upgrade to package 5, would i get better discounts? I am sure about not wanting leather. So, i pretty much want to stick to package 2 if i could clinch a good deal.
    Also, would a CA dealer deliver through a local dealer in Northeast?

All your help would be deeply appreciated.
  • bratiebratie Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone,
    I am in SoCal and just leased a '08 Prius with package two. I had a trade-in worth $1,000 and put $650 down. My price is $355/mo for 36 months with 12,000 miles. I feel like that's a pretty good deal. I leased it at Toyota of Hollywood from a great guy named ROY.
  • ramleramle Member Posts: 10
    We just purchased a new Prius package # 6 with cargo net, floor mats and added two way heated seats for 6,250. We also got extended 7 year 75000 miles warranty for 1,190, but have a week to change our mind. Is it worth it? we thought that with all the electronics and hybrid stuff we should have it, but now not sure about it and about the price of the warranty.
    yes 21,908 was OTD
  • scottc3scottc3 Member Posts: 137
    FOR SURE, 100% accurate, you should get the 7/75 for no more than $800. I can scan and email you my actual sales slip on my Prius if you need it. Tell the dealer you have seen on the web that it should be $800 and no more... then start to walk away... they will not let you leave.

sc
  • ramleramle Member Posts: 10
    Does the state makes a difference? we are in MD. The sales person didn't deal with the warranty it was par tof the finance department. She offered 1850, than 1400 and than when we said we do not need it and will not take it 1150.
    How can I get them to lowere it to 800?

Thanks
  • 3c33c3 Member Posts: 76
    OTD is "out the door", which means including tax and other official fees. Prices reported here should NOT include tax and fees unless you also specify those numbers.

For extended warranty, just google "prius extended warranty". Less than $1000 for 7/100K coverage.
    Hi Whiterice,
    Dealer told me this price does not include tax, title or other fees. this is only car's price with package 2. Did u have to pay taxes separately?
    I live in CT and in CT there is not tax. I did registered the car myself.
  • goldmantxgoldmantx Member Posts: 4
    I was quoted a price of $22,764 for a Silver Metallic w/Package #2 OTD (+TTL).
    They have some other fees included in this price but so far this is the best I've seen as they can't keep the pkg #2 in stock.
    What does everyone think?
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    If I may, I'd like to just say.....If the price is several hundred dollars then perhaps it's worth haggling but if it is just a few dollars more importantly check out the dealer's service satisfaction and how well customers feel safe and reliable with them. My dealer has been exemplery in all respects. That was more important to me than a few dollars. Funny thing back when we first bought our '04 Prius was getting the color we wanted. Blue was a must and that was worth the wait (3 months). to us.
  • gotkrusgotkrus Member Posts: 2
    I am getting OTD quotes for 24,500 and up (25K) for a Package 2. I think I may be able to negotiate it down to 24k OTD, but is that even a good deal? What do you think? Can I do better? If so, how much better?

The Prius Package 2 seems to be difficult to find and hard to negotiate as they are super popular in California.

THANKS!!
  • kenny081kenny081 Member Posts: 1
    I'm in search of a Base Prius with Pkg#5.

One of the quotes I got was $26,840 OTD from Longo Toyota and I'm still working with the others. The guy said it was about $100 over invoice and he gave me a $400 graduate discount.

No. Hollywood was quoting me at $26,334.00

Has anyone gotten a better deal in the Los Angeles Area?
    Or can anyone recommend what I should do to get a better price?
  • eba55eba55 Member Posts: 20
    Did you get the used one? Have you tried the Santa Fe dealer- they seem more flexible. I've been watching/looking in NM for awhile now. Let me know how you do and if you buy new or used. GOOD LUCK!
  • dougpiercedougpierce Member Posts: 3
    Paid $23,459.71 or $24,900 OTD (all taxes & fees included)
    Went to (Toyota of Gastonia) by Charlotte, NC and after a few trips back and forth we settled on 2008 Prius with package 2 for $24,900 out the door (all taxes & fees included). They didn't have a Prius on the lot but could get one in a day or two. We'll see if the wait's that short, but either way I don't care. I can wait and I think I got a deal that was fair for the both of us. They didn’t make t easy though; I had to work for it. The problem for consumers is that dealers can't keep the cars on the lots (much like the VW Bug or resent Mustang craze) so it makes negotiating difficult. They know they will sell it to the guy behind you if you’re not going to pay their price. My saving grace was that I was willing to wait and bought without a trade in. Here's a tip for all of you who aren’t in the know; don’t bring a trade to the table if you can help it. They just use the trade as leverage to work the numbers against you anyway. Sell it before buying and if you just can't wait than try a CarMax dealership. They normally give you $2k more than the dealer if the cars in good condition. ;) I hope this helps you make better choices.
  • 3c33c3 Member Posts: 76
    If a dealer cannot keep the cars on the lot, you don't really have much bargaining power, so expect to pay close to MSRP. When I bought my pkg#2 at the end of February, some dealers in Northern California had over a *HUNDRED* Priuses in stock, and many people paid for less than the invoice prices.
  • anchovyanchovy Member Posts: 3
    Seems these change so fast. And with gas over $4 feels like there's no wiggle room.
    Any thoughts on this from recent SOCAL Lease takers:

Package 6
    12K miles p.a.
    MSRP( really?) $27,884 (inc mats)
    Residual: 15,110 (that sounds more like 15K miles to me)
    zero down, $768 drive off total
    $487 per month

The fleet manager did offer $400 p.m . with 3500 down so I know theres some room. I'm not looking to break balls, just get the fairest deal poss that I feel top tier credit deserves.

And remain slightly indignant / entitled...

thanks!
  • tphsseniortphssenior Member Posts: 11
    anchovy,

That means you're paying approx $27,000 for the car. I've seen it go for a lot less on the forum - more like $26,400 which would make the payments around $465. I'm assuming the payment included tax? I worked out a deal in So Cal for $464 a month including tax for a 15K, 36 month lease with 0 down on a pkg 6.
  • anchovyanchovy Member Posts: 3
    Interesting. the best I have gotten so far is 478 pm with nothing down and 12K miles.

A friend on mine scored the same lease for 420 a month and 1500 down - lucky boy
    tphssenior - how long ago did you get that lease? I know they are getting tight
  • tphsseniortphssenior Member Posts: 11
    It was around 3 weeks ago. They said it was a $100 over invoice deal.
  • hihostevohihostevo Member Posts: 59
    I tried to contact the dealers that were mentioned... the Walnut Creek with the $25,997 Touring pk6 deal or the $25343 for the standard with package 6....

Did not even receive any responses to my email inquiries......... :-(
  • janeovjaneov Member Posts: 1
    My son will be commuting to college in the fall, so a Prius makes sense. My son-in-law can get me a 2002 Prius with 60K for about $8,000.

1. Does this sound like a good deal? Don't know what's on it.

2. What's this thing I hear about changing the batteries and costing a few thousand?

Please enlighten me.
  • oreoleeoreolee Member Posts: 1
    I am currently residing in the San Francisco Bay Area and was wondering which dealership you went to for that great deal.
  • txduckertxducker Member Posts: 1
    I am shopping for a Pkg #2 in the Fort Worth, TX area. I have been looking for two weeks and the cars are selling fast here. I have used Edmunds internet quote tool and most of the initial offers from dealers close to MSRP if they even have the package and color I am looking for. It appears that many of the cars are sold before they hit the lot or they are gone in a 1-2 days. Here is one internet quote I have for my wife's favorite color.
    Prius pkg 2 - 24,365
    tinted windows - 180
    total MSRP - 23,845 and also the offer price.
    This car is not on the lot and is being delivered from the Gulf state distributor.
    Salesman says this MSRP is his lowest price. Edmunds TMV shows a TMV of $257 below MSRP.

Are other people in TX seeing similar pricing for pkg #2?
  • sharon22sharon22 Member Posts: 28
    I've been trying to figure out the best OTD price I can get in this area and can't find any for less than $24,900. The southeast prices seem higher than those in the western states. I've been quoted an internet price of $22,700 from a Roswell dealer, but then their "add-on" fees are about $1,500 before taxes. Dealers don't have any on their lots and it's really hard finding ANY Toyota model in Silver Pine Mica to even look at. Finally, today I found an Avalon in that color over at the Mall of Georgia so will make the 1 1/2 hour drive there just to look at the color! I also want to see the lighter shade of blue, but can't find it. Does anyone have any buying experiences in this area or suggestions?
    Is this a picture of YOUR car? If so, what is the color -- Seaside Pearl or Spectra Blue Mica? It looks great!
  • rmirmi Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know why you can't get a Package #3 in SoCal? You can get one in San Francisco, but not in Los Angeles.
  • imaneeshimaneesh Member Posts: 2
    I basically requested a qoute from almost all dealers in Texas last month. I was willing to fly to their dealership, then drive back. The best I got was probably $100-200 off MSRP. Rediculous.

So I started calling dealers in Oklahoma. They were more willing to negotiate. I just got my Prius #2 for $23000 before tax from Putnam Toyota. I'll pay the tax/registration here in Texas. The salesperson was great and even brought the car himself. Great service.

Good luck.
    With the ’09 Prius supposedly less than 9 months away… I am wondering if it is “still” a good financial move to purchase an ’08 Prius?

Do any of you Prius owners have experience using your Prius in Real Estate work? If so, do your clients “accept” the smaller vehicle because it is more “green” or do you wish you were in a Lexus ES330 or RX330?

Thank you for your thoughts…………..
  • vagabondchefvagabondchef Member Posts: 107
    Buy a Prius, you can always trade it in a couple of years for the 2009.
    Bought a 2008 Prius off the lot, Metallic Gray Package #2 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin today for $22510.00 plus tax 5.6%, title fee $89, Dealer Service fee $98.
    Congratulations.......

I guess you think it is still worthwhile :-) then...

The '09 was initially scheduled for this fall... at least that is my understanding.

However, for "reasons" it has been delayed until first quarter '09 or at least that seems to be the majority of the rumors I am reading.

So I am just concerned about the possible effect on the value of my purchase with a brand-new updated version coming "shortly."
  • duffeyduffey Member Posts: 1
    Which dealer did you buy from?

Thanks
    I have not purchased a Prius yet.....

I was trying to Poll the members to see if it was still an efficacious decision given the changes that are going to be made to the '09 and the thought that it will theoretically be available in less than 9 months.
  • azgasazgas Member Posts: 1
    Am beginning search for 2008 Prius in Phoenix area.
    Could you please pass on any info that helped you find the right dealer and price?
    I bought it from Wilde Toyota. Any other questions about the process of buying it, just ask.
  • victorias1victorias1 Member Posts: 6
    Contact Ron Cooper at Concord Toyota. I am buying a Prius #6 for $27,530.89 out the door.
  • robbypicklesrobbypickles Member Posts: 2
    Prius #2 $24,125.00 OTD. I used MVCP.com to received the pre-negotiated price. It was a lot better buying experience for me.
    Hello Robby,
    Can you please tell me if by OTD, you mean it includes taxes, titles and everything?

Thanks
  • robbypicklesrobbypickles Member Posts: 2
    That was everything.
    Hi Robby,
    thanks for the quick reply. Does anyone has any exprience with Westchester toyota in yonkers? I read on internet that they say one thing in emails but once you get to the dealership, they give u a different price and don;t honour their email quotes....
    Which dealer to go to?...in tristate area...
  • m2mazda6m2mazda6 Member Posts: 20
    Started getting price quotes here in West Mich. best I can get is 300 below MSRP any body getting better now, no dealers now have them on lots so they don't have to deal
  • gadriver4gadriver4 Member Posts: 15
    [sharon22] in Atlanta area - any luck? I'm in Atlanta area & just beginning to search. I'm only finding 1 Prius on each lot from my searches. I don't think that gives us much bartering (sp?) pwr though. :cry: I haven't made offer yet just had husband pick up info on a Prius Union City Legacy Toyota can get while he was getting service on our Toyota. Are you saying a Roswell dealer offered you $24,200 + tax, tag & title? I assume it had package #2 on it? I've noticed all of ours in the South also have that dumb $700 add on of paint protector, VIN etching, etc. Blah.
    The picture is of the Seaside Pearl and no, sorry but it's just a picture I found on the net with the same color I'm getting. It's ready for me to pickup today, but I have to wait till Monday because I'm selling my truck to get it. :blush:
    Not quite. Roswell had quoted an internet price of $22,700, which initially sounds very good. However, the OTD price on pkg. #2 ends up at $26,127 (including 7% sales tax). Like you, numerous dealers want you to pay the $700 for the Toyoguard protection group -- rubbish! I don't want it either. The prices I've encountered so far have been $25,800 to $26,200 OTD. I'm not finding ANY Prius on ANY lots. I did find one in Greenville, SC. Contemplating if I want to drive 3 hours to buy that one. It's either that or ask a dealer to "order" one in their May or June allocations. Are you looking for a particular color? I'm partial to Silver Pine Mica, but like all Prius's, there aren't any on the lots. Stay in touch with me and let me know if you find any better deals than I've found thus far!! Edmunds.com shows a TMV price of $23,763.
This discussion has been closed.