Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• carrera993carrera993 Member Posts: 26
    Hi, new to this Prius board. Looking back the previous "leasing" post was back in July 2006, and not much Prius leasing data seems available anywhere (PriusChat included). Is this due to the lack of lease support from Toyota, or are most folks just buying their cars? I'd like to crunch the numbers on a 3 yr lease, but don't have residual, MF data to work with.
  • kapeedkapeed Member Posts: 2
    Hello All:

I am looking at 2007 Prius with Pkg #5 in Northern California. The price quoted by a dealer is $26,200 + (tax & Registration).

Please Advice,

Thanks in Advance,

David
  • cruising7388cruising7388 Member Posts: 125
    That's not too shabby. MSRP is 27,875, invoice is 25172 plus advertising expense of about 550 which for some reason is not included in the Edmunds invoice tabulation. Also, their TMV figure is way out of line. You may be able to squeeze out a better deal somewhere, but not by much.
    Who is the dealer? Northern Cal dealers do not have a reputation for being sharp with their pencils. Package 5 is a good high end choice. The additional tab for leather seats is not worth it, IMO.
  • kapeedkapeed Member Posts: 2
    Maita Toyota in Sacramento.

Thanks.
  • ajmaajma Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2007 Prius with Package 2 yesterday from Walnut Creek Toyota for $22,180 (MSRP $24,169), this comes to about $350 below invoice when Toyota's advertising expenses are included.

They told me I could pick any Prius in their lot (they had more than 50 in stock in all colors and packages) for $350 below invoice. They were also willing to sell Black color Prius with package 2 for $21,998.

I talked with about 15 dealers in northern CA, and Walnut Creek Toyota's price was $200-250 better than others, and I didn't have to negoatiate hard, nor did they hard sell warranty, color protection, etc.

Thanks.
  • waterpolo76waterpolo76 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my Prius in Palo Alto.
    2007 Prius package #4 HK, black with tan interior
    Paid $26,340 out the door
    No extra fees.

It looks awesome.

I called 3 or 4 dealerships and everyone kept saying $27,500-$27,000 out the door. Then I got a quote for $26,400.
    A few of the dealers who quoted higher said "watch out."
    Then one said he'd beat it, who originally quoted me $27,000.
    But there was no BS - got the car at $26,340.
    The market has changed - IT'S A BUYERS'S MARKET NOW !
    Yes, the worm has turned in spades. The demand for the Prius was spurred tremendously by the Sept 30 2006 deadline for the $3150 Federal tax exemption. Those buyers who withstood the temptation to run with the lemmings have been handsomely rewasrded. The reduction of the tax exemption of 3150 to $1575 has been more than offset by the undepreciated value of a 2007 model in addition to a much lower out the door price for the package of their choice.

In this case, it wasn't the early bird, but the wise old bird that kept their powder dry and now are reaping the benefit.
  • karkwestkarkwest Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased new Prius, package 6, with floor mats, at $27,050 in Orange County. Dealer charged addtional $55 for document prep fee and would not budge on that. Out-the-door price, including fees, sales tax, license, registration, was $29,475. During the paperwork signing, they tried hard to sell me the extended warranty (6 years, 100,000 miles for $1450), a security/alarm system and some kind of special wax application, all of which I declined.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Good job declining.

You can get the platinum extended warranty on line for $990 or so (7 years - actually misnamed - it's a four year extention). You can buy it at any time in the next three years - until the new vehicle 3 year warranty expires.

The security/alarm is probably the glass breakage sensor. I think it goes for around $250. They just install it, plug it in, and enable it in the vehicle system (all the Prius are already set up for it).

Just about all dealers try to sell the "special wax" treatment. I use Zaino. Works better, and I control when it's applied and how.
  • shivashivashivashiva Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to the messages above (particularly #415) I was able to purchase a Prius (Touring with Pkg #6) today for $27132 (MSRP $29614 /Invoice $26832)

This price was basically $300 over dealer invoice (or ~$2500 below MSRP)

Manhattan Beach toyota (freddie) had this price...plus they offer free car washes for life). They tried the warranty upsell but didnt push hard - was able to buy car and get out quickly.

Tustin Toyota had the second best price $200 more. $27362 I could have negotiated them down but didnt want to drive to orange county.

Culver City would not meet the price paid in message #415. So Bay toyota - like most others including Santa Monica Toyota) wanted $1000 over dealer invoice (i.e. $27832).

Thanks to all of you I am now a prius owner -not sure if anyone can help me with a car pool sticker ;-)
  • happy_harryhappy_harry Member Posts: 1
    Hello Waterpolo76,

If I may inquire, what Sales Tax Rate applied in your sale, for example 8.25%? I am using your post/amount in my negotiation with Walnut Creek Toyota.

Thanks for the info.

Harry
  • sheandhesheandhe Member Posts: 2
    We just got a magnetic gray 2007 Prius, package #2, for 21,880.00, with mats, out the door $24,100.00 (8.25% sales tax) from City Toyota in Daly City. They even offered to drop it off within thirty miles.

We contacted a Fleet/Internet Manager who advertises on craigslist after Downtown Toyota in Oakland dicked us around. Initially we were to purchase the same car/package for 22,404.00 not including tax, license and "fees". The day we were to purchase it they said they sold it and then made no arrangements to honor the price. Thanks Downtown Toyota-you just saved us $600.00!

Take our advice, save yourself the time-do not go for the bait and switch at Downtown Toyota in Oakland. We also got quotes from Walnut Creek, Hayward Toyota, SF Toyota, Vallejo Toyota, Fremont Toyota and Marin Toyota.

Go directly to City Toyota, they offered a no hassle, no pressure-straight forward buying experience and they are diligent about earning your business. We wish we could post our internet/fleet manager's name-he was awesome-professional and knowledgeable. First name starts with a J. Last name starts with a F.

Good luck!
  • sheandhesheandhe Member Posts: 2
    We love our new Prius! It came with those little rubber door protectors (we weren't expecting that), a carpeted trunk mat and a full tank of gas. They also offer the first oil change for free!

AND total out the door, $24,076.30!!

We were in and out within 45 minutes. We didn't even get the hard sell on the extended warrantee! No glass etching, fabric "protection" scams.

We appreciated J.F.'s professionalism and his respect for our time and intelligence.

We can't say enough great things about this sales manager!
  • snehanshusnehanshu Member Posts: 3
    We got our 2007 Prius Touring edition with package #5 for $26,500 + taxes and documentation. Total = 28,727.17.
    This was in Sandy, Utah.
    We also had an offer for $27,200 before taxes for Package #6, but we are not big fans of leather and chose package #5.

We are happy with our new Prius :)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A national news magazine is looking to interview recent Toyota car buyers that switched from owning a GM vehicle (Chevrolet, Pontiac, GMC, Cadillac, Saturn, Buick, Hummer, Saab). If you are interested, please send an email to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, January 29, 2007 containing your daytime contact information.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Welcome carrera993. Historically, Toyota has not provided any sort of support on the Prius, but it has been slowly introducing special programs on it lately. It is now providing special financing rates and special lease money factors on the 2007 Prius in many areas. Toyota's lease program often varies by region. If you tell me what state you are in I may be able to give you an idea of what this car's current money factor and residual value should be like in your area.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • vag1vag1 Member Posts: 1
    hello
    i am being offered lease of 2007 touring model with package#6 at $ 438 per month for 36 months, 15k miles per year. and $2000 down.
    any comments on this offer.

vag1
  • carrera993carrera993 Member Posts: 26
    Thanks Car_man: I am in the SF Bay area.
  • addiaddi Member Posts: 33
    Hello Car-Man,
    I live in Southern Indiana and I can also visit Kentucky.

Could you give me the M.F. and Residual for these areas.

Thanks. Addie.
  • spinyspiny Member Posts: 4
    Posters on this forum were helpful in conducting my car search , so will post my experience. Two weeks ago bought a Barcelona Red with grey leather, package 3. MSRP was $27150, which included about $300 of add-ons(Houston gulf-coast distribution point). Paid $25600 + TTL at Toyota of Plano in Dallas metro area. Usual negotiations hassle, but fairly quick and straightforward. They claimed invoice was $25400, but hard to tell. No hard sell on extended warranty or anything else. Overall, pleasant to deal with. Although many dealers had good supply of Prius, it was difficult to find this particular car. Have driven about 550 miles, like the car, fun to drive, and averaging about 42 mpg in mostly city driving.
  • smoscatosmoscato Member Posts: 5
    I am looking into buying a new Prius, and this board has been very helpful. Thanks! Do any of you know whether it is even possible to get a package 1? I find lots of 2s, but no 1s. I live in Los Angeles.

Thanks.
  • grayw0lfgrayw0lf Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all for giving me a point of reference with regard to pricing! I took delivery on a Metallic Grey '07 Prius with Package #5 for $25,429 at Alexandria Toyota in Alexandria, VA on Saturday. (Note: the price is before tax, tags, and dealer processing fee.)

For anyone looking for an '07 Prius with package 4 or 2, there seem to be a lot of them in the Washington DC metro area..

My buying experience was a bit extensive, so I will cut to the chase and provide details if requested: The dealership that I purchased my car at is Alexandria Toyota ( http://www.alexandriatoyota.com/ ). Rob Barnhill proved to be an honest, friendly and straight-forward salesman. Since I had already "done my homework" the purchase process was rather easy. Between Rob's knowledgable assistance and the generosity of the New Car Sales Manager, Jeff Wells, we were able to come to an agreement and make the sale happen. The last kudo goes to Eliseo Rivera for his understanding regarding my lack of interest in any add-on purchases beyond that of the car itself. I never expected such a low-key/laid-back attitude from the finance office. Quite often they are the "bad cop" to the salesman/salesmanager's "good cop"! All-in-all, Alexandria Toyota has earned its reputation for excellence on the sales side of things!

The "short-short" version of my review is this: For a "no pressure" purchasing experience, go to Alexandria Toyota and see Rob Barnhill, Jeff Wells and Eliseo Rivera!
  • cagooniecagoonie Member Posts: 3
    I just picked up my 2007 Prius with package 5 for $27,600 out the door. It's black w/ grey interior. I LOVE it!
    :shades:
  • sonyswsonysw Member Posts: 34
    Do you mind to give the breakdown. I am in S. Cal and looking for package 5 too. Thanks.
    I bought mine at Crown Toyota in Ontario but Symes Pasadena was offering me the same price. My advice is to deal w/ the salespeople via email or phone. I had three dealerships out-bidding each other for my business. By the time I actually went in to the dealership the price was already negotiated and we just filled out the paperwork. It was pretty painless. Hope this info. helps. Good luck!!
    Whoops...I forgot to list the price breakdown, it's as follows:
    Vehicle price- 25,315.07

Doc. Prep fee- 55.00
    Sales Tax- 1,966.18
    License+tire fee- 263.75

For a grand total of $27,600.00 out-the-door!
    BTW sticker price was 28,074.00
  • greenpeacegreenpeace Member Posts: 3
    I am deciding if I should buy or lease the Prius. I love the vehicle and can possibly see myself in it for 5 plus years. However, in the past I have been a leasee and have never had the same car beyond 3 years.

I've negotiated a price of 27,685 - this is 1500 less than the MSRP and 1,000 over the dealer invoice. However, after taxes and fees my price is 29,656.70. This is for a Prius, package 6.

Any thoughts? Thank you.
  • tennis5tennis5 Member Posts: 1
    I too just bought a Prius from Alex Toyota - they are very nice (though I worked with a different rep.). I got the white, Pkg #2 at $21,750 plus tax, etc (below invoice according to Edmunds). I wish to thank the others here for posting their experiences. I felt like I had a whole lot of confidence in the negotiations b/c of this thread. I have a question though -- I see that I shouldn't have signed on for the extended warranty at the price I did ($1650) -- did you purchase and if so, at what price? I may look at the Mass dealership mentioned to bring it back to where it belongs.
    I negotiated a lease for the Prius #6 package of $430/mth at 15k/year. This lease and purchase price is 29,656.70 (after taxes and fees). This is 1000 over the dealer invoice and 1500 under the MSRP.

Is this a good deal? Based on technology develop and the Prius produt life would you recommend leasing or buying?

Thank you.
  • merkaba44merkaba44 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased my 07' Silver Metallic Prius base model from Dorschel Toyota.

I used the internet method, negotiating with several dealers in Upstate NY. It came down to two dealers (Dorschel Toyota & Hoselton Toyota) both in Rochester, NY, however, the negotiations were protracted (two weeks).

I finally agreed to a price of $21,100 (MSRP, including delivery is $22,795, Invoice is $21,039), plus $99.95 Dealer Prep fee, $147 Registration Fees, $45 Document fee and $1503 taxes.

The total OTD price came to $22,850 and I received $1695 off of MSRP. I wasn't pressured to buy an extended warranty, add-ons etc. and the Business Manager was both laid back and friendly.

Overall, a pleasant buying experience, but having done a lot of research helped it to be so.
  • runonmd1runonmd1 Member Posts: 11
    I'm wondering about the "dealer prep fee." Is it mandatory, or is it a dealership "profit center" add-on?

Isn't getting the car ready for you the dealership's responsibility, rather than something you should have to pay for?

I may be wrong, but it seems to smack of gouging the customer.

Richard
  • merkaba44merkaba44 Member Posts: 2
    It is a way for them to make more profit and sometimes you can get them to drop the fee.

In my case, I factored it into the overall price I paid & it was part of the deal I negotiated, which as a couple of hundred dollars better than the next lowest offer. If you go to carbuyingtips.com, they offer a free spreadsheet (among other things) to allow for a dealer profit of 3%-5% and even with the dealer prep fee, I hit my target price/dealer profit of 3%.

I have had them drop the fee with other cars I've purchased, but that make & model vehicle was not a hot seller like the Prius has been.
  • grayw0lfgrayw0lf Member Posts: 2
    Sorry for the long delay in responding to your question! I chose to not take the extended warranty. Taking it would have bumped my payments above my target amount. There are those who would argue that purchasing an extended warranty is a good idea. However, I did some research and found that most Prius owners haven't had a lot of mechanical trouble with their vehicles. So I feel pretty comfortable with things as they stand on my side. :)

Regardless, congrats on your new Prius!! It is truly a fun car to drive. Now I just need to get my fiance to feel more comfortable with driving it.. LOL!
  • darinfdarinf Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a blue Touring package 6 today in Chula Vista, CA (near San Diego) for basically $3000 below MSRP. (The price included a $277 accessory kit: floor mats, cargo net, and first aid kit (whoo hoo!). They refused to take the "kit" out of the deal.

I could easily get invoice pricing from almost any dealer down here. One dealer had $4000 off Package 6's! Of course they were gone when I got there.

Oh well, anything at or below invoice I think is a decent price.

-Darin
  • lisa36lisa36 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to purchase a black 2007 prius with package #4 with a leather upgrade. I have been offered $26,386.39 OTD.That includes a $45 doc fee and $206 license fee. Is this a good deal? I am in Santa Cruz, Ca.
    The extended warranty can be purchased at anytime before 3 years / 36,000 miles.

Even if you purchased the warranty -- you have up to 30 days to cancel with a full refund (at least in Michigan).

I actually buckled under the warranty pressure and agreed (agaisnt my better judgment). After coming home and doing research on Toyotafinancial.com, I realized that I was overcharged by more than 200 dollars. Needless to say, I will be cancelling the extended warranty and repurchasing at a later time before the 3 years/36,000.

Hope this helps!
  • ukr2ukr2 Member Posts: 3
    I also posted this on PriusChat.
    ------------------------------------------------------

Last Monday, Jan. 29th, I saw the Toyota commercial that there is no wait to get a Prius and 0% Financing for 2 months. I was waiting for this.

The next day I called my Auto Broker, Bill Long, in Rochester, NY. He called the area dealers, called me at work and I signed a financial application Tuesday afternoon. On Wednesday they approved my application. They found the car I wanted at another dealer and swapped it to my dealer. Bill got the dealer to drop to $200 over invoice for the Prius and bump their trade-in offer for my '99 Avalon, with 94k mile, which was accident repaired, but in very good shape, from $4000 to $4500. Then Bill found another of his clients might want the car. He negotiated a win-win and sold my car for $5700.

Yesterday, I picked up my 2007 Metalic Grey #5 with carpet mats and Rear Bumper Applique for $28174.38 Out the Door.

$25984 Invoice plus $200, $1832.88 7%tax, $45 Dealer Processing Fee, $90 Licence, Title, Registration, $10 NYS Inspection and $12.50 NYS Waste Tire Mgt Fee. $1173.93 payments for 24 months. 0% Financing is available until the end of Feb.

Last Saturday Toyota's website dropped their #5 MSRP $200 and the dealer still had the old price and will send us the new invoice. Hopefully I'll get the $126 invoice refund.

Most important is that I put Zero Effort and Zero Time to get the car and sell my Avalon. Bill did it all for his $375 fee. He more than earned it. This is my 5th car using his services. If you're in the Rochester Area he's in the phonebook. Mention my name.

If you enjoy calling, emailing or driving from dealer to dealer, spending time negotiaing and bickering with wheeler-dealers, getting pissed, then working out the new car terms with the trade-in or posting ads to sell your old car, Go For It.

For the fee, an Auto Broker is Great.

Ken Reasoner
    Victor, NY
    ukr2@yahoo.com
  • addiaddi Member Posts: 33
    Car_Man

Hello. I am now ready to pull the trigger on a Prius.
    Could you give me the residual for FEB for the Prius
    Touring with the Pkg #6. I believe the M.F. for 24 months
    is 0.0 and 2.9 for 36 months. As you know from previous request above I live in Southern Indiana.

Thanks,

Addi
  • sonyswsonysw Member Posts: 34
    I am about to get a prius. I live in CA. If I get the car before the end of Feb 07. Do you think I still can get the HOV lance sticker ? Do you know when will it last ? I know they issue another 10,000 stickers. Would you share this info ?
  • darinfdarinf Member Posts: 3
    All the stickers are gone. They are not accepting any more applications.

Just do a Google search to confirm.

-Darin
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I am about to get a prius. I live in CA. If I get the car before the end of Feb 07. Do you think I still can get the HOV lance sticker ? Do you know when will it last ? I know they issue another 10,000 stickers. Would you share this info ?"

If this is primarily a communter, and if you can deal with CNG, you can get a Honda Civic GX; it qualifies for a silver sticker that is permanent (the hybrid stickers expire in a couple of years), and includes toll bridge access (not sure about toll roads).

And the Civix GX is the "greenest" car this year, according to the most recent list. Plus, it still qualifies for a full tax credit. The "kicker" is: CNG is about $1.99 a gallon!

The only drawback is finding the CNG to power the car. It goes a little over 200 miles on a tank. Refueling stations are around, but you need to research this subject before buying. However, if you want to invest a bit, you could take the tax rebate money and by a "Phill", which goes in your garage and fills up the GX from your home gas lines.

Just a thought...
  • toyotashoppingtoyotashopping Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a Prius in the Detroit area. Do you know if I can get 0% financing for 2 years here? I have seen advertisements for this financing by California dealers lasting through February.

What type of pricing could you find here? I tried using Costco's Auto Plan and was offered $500 below MSRP, which doesn't seem great based on what I see in this chatroom.
  • jw4jw4 Member Posts: 1
    Dealers in the NY Tri-State area swore it couldn't be done! ALEXANDRIA TOYOTA did it without too much prodding. New 2007 Prius with package 2 for $21,750 + $279 + $44 = $22,073. I still need to register and pay tax in NY, but I'm already home with my new Prius and temporary plates. The 0.0% financing for 24 months was an added benefit.

Took AMTRAK from NY to Alexandria, VA. Then a quick Metro to Crystal City. Dealership picked me up.

Everything was prepared. No hard sell for extra warranty, etc.

Fun Trip, Great Car and a very honorable salesperson. Too bad he's moving over to another area of the dealership.

The postings on this site saved me a bundle!
  • drbreecherdrbreecher Member Posts: 1
    I have a white 2004 "Car of the Year" Prius with 24,000 miles with the California passenger lane stickers already on. Doesn't do me any good since I am now living in Corpus Christi, TX, but I am thinking of selling it on e-mail. It's in very good condition inside and out and excellent mechanical condition. I have the extended warranty which I believe is transferrable. I bought the car at the Mile of Cars Toyota dealership in San Diego. What do you think I can get for this car on E-Bay? You could write me at mbreecher@gmail.com
    Yes, the extended warranty is transferable, but the HOV stickers are more problematic because they are not issued to the vehicle but to the registered owner. Check with Cal DMV to see if the stickers transfer to the new owner.
  • jpricejprice Member Posts: 58
    As a matter of fact, I believe that the stickers *are* issued to the vehicle and are transferable; if you lived in California and sold a car with the stickers, you could not get new stickers for your next Prius, because the supply is gone.

jprice SoCal '05 21586 total miles lifetime MPG 48.6
    As a matter of fact, you are quite correct. Here is the pertinent paragraph from the Calif DMV Hybrid page:

The 85,000 Clean Air Vehicle Stickers (yellow) that VC §5205.5 allows for hybrid vehicles have been assigned. Original Clean Air Stickers will no longer be issued to hybrids; however, substitute stickers may be issued if the original is damaged.

All Clean Air Stickers remain with the vehicle they were originally issued to and cannot be transferred to any other vehicle. If you purchase a vehicle that has a Clean Air Sticker you may transfer the sticker to your name.
    If you acquire a hybrid vehicle with Clean Air Vehicle Stickers attached, and are a resident of Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano or Sonoma County, you must obtain a Bay Area FasTrak account before you drive as a sole occupant in a high-occupancy vehicle (carpool or diamond) lane.

All Clean Air Vehicle stickers will expire January 1, 2011, unless the law authorizing their use is extended beyond that date.

Carpool lane use may be restricted at any time by state and federal law for all Clean Air Vehicles carrying fewer occupants than the posted minimum requirement, if their presence is determined by the California Department of Transportation to contribute to increased traffic congestion, increased travel times, decreased sustained travel speeds, or other factors affecting any carpool lane or segment of that lane.

Clean air vehicles that meet the posted minimum occupancy requirements for carpool lanes are not subject to the above restrictions.
    Hi vag1. What are this car's MSRP and selling price. These are very important numbers to know because the selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Dealers have been providing some pretty attractive discounts on the Prius lately. If you let me know what these numbers are, I will gladly give you my opinion of this deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    No problem carrera993. I haven't seen Toyota's specific lease program for this car in its San Francisco region, but in most other regions Toyota Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Prius with 15,000 miles per year are .00113 and 55%, respectively. Unfortunately, using this data to estimate what the lease payment should be like on the car that you are interested in because unlike most banks Toyota Financial Services' residual values are for "base" vehicles without any options. It places restrictions upon what options can be residualized and caps on the values of the ones that it does allow.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hello Addie. You never mentioned how long you want to lease your Prius for, so for now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. I'm not sure exactly what region you are in, but if you are in Toyota's Chicago region, its current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Prius with 15,000 miles per year there are .00055 and 55%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its "Tier 1+" credit tier and pay a security deposit at lease signing. Unfortunately, using this data to estimate what the lease payment should be like on the car that you are interested in because unlike most banks Toyota Financial Services' residual values are for "base" vehicles without any options. It places restrictions upon what options can be residualized and caps on the values of the ones that it does allow.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
This discussion has been closed.