Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Computer Problems

Comments

• MountainguyMountainguy Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Ford F250 Super Duty Diesel
    with an air bag light on. Used a scanner
    and is flashing 032 code. My Chilton manual
    does not have any information for air bag codes
    and says to take to dealor. Any info on this type of
    problem or info on this trouble code would be appreciated.
  • greenhornitgreenhornit Member Posts: 2
    turn the key on and the ICM relay clicks cont.,no power to fuel pump or glow plugs. PCM must be out right?
  • tibodo6tibodo6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 f 250 v10 and it has the same problem but the engine light will flicker and not run right. if the light stays on theres no power i've narrowed the problem to the computer plug in my truck condensation get's in it and causes it to short out so i take it out and dry the computer side i still have not came up with a solution to stop it from condisatiing from but it stops it from happening for a good while
  • trobld12345trobld12345 Member Posts: 1
    i got the same problem with my truck but when mine first did it it sheered the gears in my rear axle nd cracked my tranny replaced them and it has a hard shift and no power with the pcm hooked up disconnect it got some power back but then my torque converter went out had a shop run a diagnostic they told me the pcm was bad because it didnt send a signal 6 months later im just about fed up i think it could be the condensation when i took it out it looked a little wet but havent hooked it back up due to the torque converter being out any ideas on how to keep it dry :confuse:
  • robing1robing1 Member Posts: 1
    check your peddle assy. or throttle position sensor(fuel peddle) it has 3 bolts that hold it in place and a plug assy that needs to be disconnected. if you replace this assy it will fix your problem. what leads me to believe that is i had the same problem with one of my trucks and i could run it using cruise but the peddle wouldnt work. it should fix your problem.
  • snowman61963snowman61963 Member Posts: 5
    Went to start up truck at work all gauges showed fine except for speedometer and tach did not go through cycle. Had power to rest of dash lights but could not start truck, any ideas??
  • aurrelioaurrelio Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys... there is a possibility that my check engine light turn's on because my gas cap is no good?
  • aurrelioaurrelio Member Posts: 2
    first time using this....anybody there?
  • emtdawnemtdawn Member Posts: 26
    This is not constantly monitored by any one person. If a question regarding our particular vehicle is asked, we get an email if we chose to "want to respond" to questions asked about our particular make, model, etc. I was checking in regarding a question as to whether or not your "check engine light" would come on if your gas cap is bad.. in an F-150 model. That's when I saw your post. This isn't like a live "blog" where someone is sitting here waiting for someone else to write something or ask a question. If you have a question, type it in and submit it. Someone will come back and respond to it if they can answer you or if they can tell you where you can find the answer, particularly if they know! Good luck.
  • doc46doc46 Member Posts: 2
    vehicle only cuts out or misses and ck engine lt only comes on when wipers are on ( even when dry) in intermittent only, i noticed others w/ same problem any fixes?
  • doc46doc46 Member Posts: 2
    did you ever get it fixed? i have the same problem, 02 f-350 thanks
  • dave205dave205 Member Posts: 4
    Nick,
    I have the same issue on a 2001-can you tell me what fixed it. Wire assembly to the throttle? I know it is not the fuel filter.
  • dave205dave205 Member Posts: 4
    You may want to check and see if the cam senser is working.
  • marknjillmarknjill Member Posts: 1
    i have a 94 f350 with a 460 engine runs great no problems but when i tow my rv and i shut it off it spews coolant into the puke jug but if i idle it for a few minutes then shut it down it doesnt do it i thinking the clutch fan isnt keeping up this a new one and done the same thing on the old fan what do you all think.thanks
  • melisalynmelisalyn Member Posts: 1
    already changed the batteries and both fuel filters. Everything we have read says that if the glow plug light comes on, then it works and that isn't the problem. Was working one day and the next it wasn't. What else could it be?
  • danielgast46danielgast46 Member Posts: 1
    I am disabiled so things i can afford to do are limited
    I bought a 1989 f350 ton dually that someone changed out the engine. it was a 460 with e4od EFI
    now it has 1987 e150 5.0 Aod EFI . I drove it for week before buying. I was worried about having power I have to say i was impressed it ran out great and got very good milage but couple days after paying for it, it died going down the hiway running about 65 mph tried to start in nuetal but it would not engage starter i had to come to a complete stop and start it. it died 3 more times so i let it set a few minutes and it started and ran went to gas staion filled the tank and it ran fine for 2 more days.
    When it died again i managed to go to mechanic shop they put new distributer in it $186.00 it made it home died when i parked it and it has not started since.
    i bought some books did the koeo test. the books tell what the codes mean but dont tell how to fix it another waste of money. the codes are:
    67 nuetral drive switch open
    52 power steering preasure switch open
    81 air management circut 2 failure
    41no HEGO switching detcted or system lean
    32 EVPvopltage below closed limit
    29 insuficaint input from speed sensor
    18 spout circut fialure or spark angle
    33 EGR valve opening not detetcted

i have put new oxygen sensor and new map sensor
    fuel pumps( all 3) new distibuter module new EGR still wont start
    I am considering removal of THE EFI and goinig carb
    any suggestions or help out there?
    Thanks Daniel
  • dolphinscoachdolphinscoach Member Posts: 1
    Was wondering if anyone has heard of this. 2003 F-150. After parking and walking to the front door the truck was trying to turn over by itself. Is this a computer problem.
  • mmafanmmafan Member Posts: 2
  • mmafanmmafan Member Posts: 2
    OK...I have been facing problems with my 02 F150 for a couple weeks now and can't seem to get anywhere. I have pulled the code 1504 IAC circuit malfunction and have replaced the IAC Valve but still pull the code and my truck runs like crap under load when accelerating. When just sitting at idle it's fine and I can rev it up and it never misses. Put her in gear and accelerate and she goes to hesitating and running like crap. The warmer the weather the worse she runs. I have checked all kinds of crap and can't find anything that test bad. Please help me out. What is all included in the IAC circuit? What else should I check? I have 139k miles and just now am I having a problem. The dealership said to replace the IAC so I did and called them back and they said replace the plug...get real...I'm not made of money!!!
  • fordproblems2fordproblems2 Member Posts: 1
    whem i get in to start it turn key over and theft light starts blinking odometer has------- al the way across and it will crank but no fire . but take key and turn over two or three times dont matter wich way and every thing is fine it cranks right up but turn it off and try it nothing have to do proses all over again oh its a ford f150 super crew 5.4 triton please any help before i have to take to shop trying to fix my self dont got money to take it to shop. if so email me at cmonty51@yahoo.com
  • connon1connon1 Member Posts: 15
    900 miles on it and tonight sitting in the driveway the dealer installed alarm goes off. I check it out and the indash display is lit up. I open the door which turns off all power delay functions then close and lock up only to see the dash power back up by itself! Now what do I do ? Wait til morning and find the battery dead? I sit in the truck for a few minutes with no keys and the power seats start to move and the climate controls start to cycle through the settings.really strange. Anyone out there with similar experiances ? If it starts in the morning then back to the dealer.
    If you haven't already done so, go out and disconnect the battery cables so that your battery doesn't drain. This of course will also take care of your light problems temporarily.

It might be a glitch in the computer system but it also sounds like a short in the elctrical system. Pray that it's in the computer. Electrical shorts are so darn hard to trace. Make sure you keep tabs on date, time, in case you are dealing with the "Lemon Law" at one point. Good luck,
    Dawn
  • connon1connon1 Member Posts: 15
    Brought into the dealer this AM their subcontractor alarm tech says he believes it's the remote start or even the pager/keyfob itself. He disabled the alarm until I can bring it back for svc. I fully expected to find the battery dead this morning but it atarted right up. If it wasn't pouring last night I would have disconnected the battery. I hope this is the end of it, I waited 10 weeks for this truck and I dont relish the thought of a lemon.
  • atopperatopper Member Posts: 1
    try cam sensor there was a recall on this also so save receipts for sometimes reinburses also save old one.
  • ladyratrigladyratrig Member Posts: 2
    we have a 97 f-150 the check engine light is on and when the engine warms up and gos the truck shacks what could this be ?
  • ladyratrigladyratrig Member Posts: 2
  • wchambers1wchambers1 Member Posts: 1
    My check engine light came on, I took my truck to Discount Auto so they could hook up their machine and give me the codes...my computer is not working. Any ideas as to what might be wrong with the computer and how to fix it? The truck is running fine...never had any problems.
  • vcanslervcansler Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 F-150. One morning I tried to start my truck and all it would do is turn over. After a few tries it started, but after you shut it off again it might start, it might not. We noticed that when you turn the key and the THEFT light is blinking fast it will not start, but when you turn the key and the THEFT light stays on then it will start. Once it starts it runs great. I've heard this is called anti-theft mode. I've also heard that it may not be recognizing the key. What else could cause this or how much would a dealer charge to fix something like this??
    Thanks Vicki
    Here is what the answer to your code problem:
    Intake Air Control circuit malfunction :)
    Take it in, shouldn't be too much. Especially if you tell them in advance what's wrong. Good luck,
    Dawn
    Can you sit there when it won't start, and by turning the key again, usually get the truck to start? At any rate, go to Auto Zone, get them to put the machine on the truck and see what codes you get. Sounds like you have a computer that is malfunctioning. Did you notice anything that it might have been doing before this started? Engine light, anything?
    P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor circuit fault . There is no po-344 code. Now, this may make you feel a little bad... "and I am yelling"... "DID YOU REPLACE THE STUPID SENSOR"???????????? This is bad, this is why your engine is cutting out and this is why your "check engine light is on"... if you don't know how, take it in to the garage and tell them to replace the sensor. Now, that wasn't hard was it. It's causing your computer chip to act up, which is causing your truck to miss. Doesn't matter if it's in intermittent or not.. it "needs to be replaced".
    Go in to Ford, not the same one that wants $1,500 for the tranie.. have them hook it up to the diagnostic machine. That should give you some error codes that can tell you what might be causing it. If you don't want to go to Ford, take it to Auto Zone.. NOT discount auto..Auto Zone. If you have codes and you don't know what they mean, give me a hollar at my regular email addy. They might not let me post it, so you know the sign for @ and so write to me once you have had it diagnosed.. with code numbers. emtdawn "at" earthlink.net and let me know the numbers of the codes.
    No, they aren't all the same. The 99''s have several codes that are different.Read below;
    9202 Fuel Sender Open
    9204 Fuel Sender Short to Ground
    9213 Anti-Theft Number of Programmed Keys is Below Minimum
    A103 Antenna Not Connected / Defective Transceiver
    9317 Battery Voltage High
    9318 Battery Voltage Low
    9342 ECU Is Defective
    9356 Ignition RUN Circuit Open
    9364 Ignition START Circuit Open
    9600 PATS Ignition Key Transponder Signal Is Not Received / Damaged Key or Non-PATS Key
    9601 PATS Received Incorrect Key-Code From Ignition Key Transponder (Unprogrammed Encoded Ignition Key)
    9602 PATS Received Invalid Format Of Key-Code From Ignition Key Transponder (Partial Key Read)
    9681 PATS Transceiver Signal Is Not Received (Not Connected, Damaged, or Wiring)
    A103 Antenna Not Connected Ä Defective Transceiver
    A139 PCM ID Does Not Match Between HEC and PCM
    A141 NVM Configuration Failure (No PCM ID Exchange Between Instrument Cluster and PCM)
    A143 Odometer NVM Memory Failure
    5284 Oil Pressure Switch Failure
    1197 SELECT/RESET Switch Circuit Failure
    D011 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Engine Air Intake
    D027 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Engine RPM
    D041 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Vehicle Speed
    D073 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Engine Coolant
    D123 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Odometer
    D131 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Fuel System
    D132 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Odometer
    D147 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Vehicle Security
    D148 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Audio Control
    D262 Missing SCP Message
  • gtmentgtment Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 F150, aftermarket remote start. I pushed the remote start today, it started, made a horrible metallic sound, like something broke, which I assumed was the starter. I changed the starter, which was acting up slightly for a few months prior, still won't start. I checked all fuses, they are all ok. I hear the fuel injectors engaging, all the lights work fine. I had an issue with the remote start and the PAS system a few months ago, and learned how to disconnect the remote start. I did that, still won't start, and my arming system is fine, meaning that the vehicle is not armed while I am trying to start. I wonder if the sound I heard was the flywheel teeth breaking?? I looked at the old starter and there are 6 teeth with excessive wear, like a stripped screw. The rest seem decent. Any ideas??? The truck has about 46K miles and my husband is pissed. PISSED. I was a mechanic for several years, and this one has me stuck. I've changed a hundred starters and never had this problem. The new starter bench tested at Oreilly's ok.. but, maybe I'll try checking it myself.. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    By the way, today the inside unlock buttons will not unlock the doors. I have to manually open the pass. door from the inside. Rechecked starter, and it is good.. Totally lost here.
    Well.. In the light of day :) I found a fusible link (aka-a bigger fuse in the fuse box for the normal person) that had blown. I didn't see it in the dark, but went today and re-checked every fuse. Problem solved!
  • eastexasoutdooeastexasoutdoo Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 F150 is doing exactly the same thing. Did you ever find out what the problem was?
  • vcanslervcansler Member Posts: 2
    yes .. it turns out the ignition is somehow wired into the door panel with the window and door lock controls .. we popped the door panel off and some wires were kind of loose .. pushed them back in and it has started fine ever since
  • slucidoslucido Member Posts: 1
    could be your cam sensor. I had replaced mine when the engine stopped on me. according to your millage you have, it might be covered under warranty. call the dealer first.
  • ricka1130ricka1130 Member Posts: 1
    My ford F-350 diesel truck will not release the 4 wheel drive what can I do to release it?
  • willy24willy24 Member Posts: 1
    has anybody switched thier v10 over to e 85 and if how did it go
  • pipfindrpipfindr Member Posts: 34
    what causes the Codes P0470 and the P0299?
    I do know the P0470 is Exhaust back pressure and the P0299 is turbo underboost. I just want to know what causes this and how to fix.
    thx
  • dbernharddbernhard Member Posts: 7
    I can tell you exactly whats wrong...This has been a common occurance with ford f-series for years...don't know why they haven't owned up to it. The problem is with the GEM (generic electronic module) and it screws down to the back side of the interior fuse panel. This circuit board controls the functions of the things you mentioned plus the auto power window circuit and the heater fan motor, and gauges. The problem is not really the GEM proper, which is a good thing because that circuit board retails for well over $600., but it is due to water entering the cab during rain storms through the cowling and dripping on the GEM case and the top of the fuse box. The water actually enters the fuse box where it shorts the connections that the GEM is plugged into. I just finished a repair on mine for the same thing without replacing the GEM and it's working great. I took pictures and wrote a little narrative on how to fix it. If you're interested, email me at denbe47@yahoo.com and put in the subject heading GEM, and I'll email you the directions. It takes only a few tools and probably a couple of hours to get it back on the road.
  • onejerryonejerry Member Posts: 1
    when driveing my engine jumps like i am pushing the pedal up and down and cruise control stopped working same time please help going nuts
  • concreteman1concreteman1 Member Posts: 11
    almost blow off going down the freeway,any one out there with the same problem ford told me over warannty 36000 mile,truck has original glass,you think thay would cover this i guess the front windshield is not very inportant part of the truck.this just happen after it rained for a couple of days.this is a f-350 lairat 2008 :mad: ford said i have to take care of it my self.You think your windshield would stay on after 52000 miles!!!!. I hope no other ford truck owner go through this problem. just glad i wasn't crusing at 30,000 feet would have been suck out of the cab!!!!!!!
  • egeboegebo Member Posts: 1
    I am having a problem with my 2007 F150, 5.4. It has 33,000 miles. Recently when it sits unused for 3-4 days, I have an issue when first starting up. The tach and fuel gauge vibrate and take a few seconds to fire up. A clicking sound accompanies the shaking. The message center then indicates a "Tire pressure monitor failure" and the low tire pressure indicator comes on. All resets typically when the truck is shut off and restarted.
    Any recommendations would be appreciated.
  • dugout123dugout123 Member Posts: 1
    Question for you ford techs

I had a reading that my FICM was only at half of the voltage so I repleaced the FICM with a new one that came already programed, they told me that all I had to do was take out the old one and put the new one in and it would run. Here lies the problem after installing the new one when I go and start the truck it just makes a clicking noise and the starter does not engage. Do you think by installing the new FICM that computer now needs to get flashed? I had the truck running before I installed the new FICM but it was rough at first, I replaced the FICM the same day that I had it running with the old FICM installed. I even went as far back to installing the old FICM because the truck ran, when I installed the old one the truck did the same thing just clicked and the starter would not engage. So I am thinking that I might need to take the truck into a Ford Dealership and have the computer reflashed?

Please give me your thoughts

Thanks
  • frhrwafrhrwa Member Posts: 6
    anyone having problems with the display above (up where your sunglasses and remote garage door opener go) going off? mine went off once, came back a few weeks later.. now 3 months later, it went off again, and hasn't come back? also my Overdrive light on the shifter intermittently comes on.. shift to neutral and back, it goes out.. I have a 2002 f-250 SD Crew 4X4 7.2.... thanks..
  • four40four40 Member Posts: 2
  • four40four40 Member Posts: 2
    My 99 F-350 powerstroke ittermittantly runs rough then you can kill it & start up again & it runs smooth. I have added 4" exhaust, S&B cold air filter & ez chip from Edge Products. Did fine until 3 days ago then suffered power loss without towing. Had computer cleared and am running with chip turned off. With chip on & towing or heavy accerelation service engine light would go on & off, which Edge says is is normal with 7.3. 3 days ago service engine light started coming on almost all the time running without towing. Anybody know anything about this? HELP......

four40