Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Si Sedan

Comments

• aaronr121aaronr121 Member Posts: 91
    This is my first Honda. I know a tiny, little bit about the SI models heritage. A few friends have owned SI models and those cars were always fun to ride around in.

The i-vtec stickers will not be removed from my car! The SI model is very low key, in my opinion. Unless you are an enthusist, the general public just sees it as Civic.

I've always been a fan of low-cost, factory built hot-rods. The Civic was the best choice out of all the cars out today.

4 doors, naturally aspirated, low cost of ownership, high resale, good price... Plus a high-reving, high-tech engine (you gotta love an 8k redline!) And it loves to be thrown around on the back roads.

The only other vehicle we seriously considered, in this catagory, was the Focus ST/Mazda 3 (not the Mazda Speed 3). While both were decent, the Focus STs I chcked out stickered at nearly 20k, hard to find, and, in comparison to the Civic, out of date. Fun cars to toss around. But the limits were nowhere near the SIs.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    why does having that sticker on mean you want to race? many si's have had this decal, it would be blasphemy with out it! you possess one of the most advanced mass marketed engines out there, wear it with pride!

a ricer is a ricer if you make it one, there is nothing 'ricey' about the si in that regards. The si looks clean enough as it is. i can think of a ton of other cars that you could have chosen that are sporty other than the si to avoid this althogether.

Plus doesn't every car manufacturer use some form of VTEC now?

no not really actually. you'd be suprised how very few cars used varible timing and dual over head cams on their engines. they do exist, but they don't have it down to an art the way honda does. they pioneered the technology!
    Awesome posts! and thanks for the responses!! :)

blairspeed: glad you like your car, i bet moving up from the ep hatch is quite a feat; your si hatch is actually my favorite 'looking' si especially with the 17's that were availble with it and with the factory ground effects; but the performance was sorely lacking. I still think they should have slapped an EX on the back of it instead of an SI. it would have done soooo much better and would have been that nice 'not exactly and si but not exactly a regular civic either' that the civic line really needs.

again, great posts EVERYONE! :)
  • cz75cz75 Member Posts: 210
    I've driven nothing but Honda since I graduated from HS, all the way through college and grad school. Since I keep them for at least 7 years, that really isn't that many. After I got my first, the folks went Japanese, going to Nissan, then Acura.
    I agree. There is nothing 'rice' about these cars. There's no 2 foot tall wing, ridiculous ground effects kits, obnixious muffler, etc.

Rice doesn't only apply to 'asian' car either. It can apply to domestics too. It's a deragatory term for a cheesy looking car, that's trying to look much racier that it is.

I like cars that are modifed in apparence, so that they look like they could have been produced by the factory. There are many Mustangs and Camaros running around here that look just as hideous as the LX Civics that have been 'improved' by their owner.
    you sir, are respected.

thanks for the post, its STILL a common misconception that this is only applied to asian cars. Actually if you look it up on wikipedia, most of the pics shown are dodge neons. :P

good info nonetheless. i still think that some wings like the ones mugen makes for the civic are still very nice looking...not exactly ricey, but more boy racerish. The honda ground effects kit is very nice though, nice aggresive touch without being over bearing.
    Thanks.

I don't mind a nice looking car that's been modified and it looks tasteful and could be mistaken for a factory piece.

I'm not of the old man mind-set. The guys that don't consider anything past '72 a 'real' car. I hate that redneck attitude. I've seen plenty of creations by supposed 'real hot-rodders' that look horrid.
  • kork13kork13 Member Posts: 90
    First, on the sticker... I just went out for dinner with some friends, and as soon as I pointed out which car was mine, one of them imppediately mentioned "Wow, vtec and dual overhead cams..." So on a vain note, having the sticker advertising your engine does still garner respect from people, as it seems to have for a long time.

On ricers, I was born/raised on Guam, a little Pacific island, and EVERYONE there loved to turn their civic or whatever into the stereotypical ricer. Those quickly became annoying, and I tend to sneer at them on the road. The '07 Si is a very nice blend of the 'normal' car that most people have, with the spice of a ricer's attitude... The engine can race, but it's not been tricked out to do so. The exhaust puts out a good low note, but it's not obnoxious, nor designed to draw attention. Essentially, the Si could be called a ricer by someone who doesn't know anything about it, but the Si is much more subtle than a ricer that some teenager has spent all his lunch money on. That subtlety is actually one thing that drew me to the Si.
  • tfm1973tfm1973 Member Posts: 14
    i think some of you misread my post. i don't race. i don't think the civic si has been riced out. in fact i love the way the car looks. didn't think the spoiler at first was especially great but it's grown on me. at least it's not god-awful like those on a WRX or EVO.

i'm just wondering if VTEC is such a important part of Honda's heritage (and it is - i've owned 8 Honda's now in my lifetime) why is it a STICKER on the side of the car that can be peeled off easily?

i think if they made it a tasteful metal emblem - i'd have no problem with it. but a sticker?!

anyways. i still love my Si Sedan. there is nothing better than revving it up to 6000rpms and hearing that engine.
    One negative I've noticed over the last few days, just to show that there actually are some downsides to the Si... It's great that it can hold 5 people (I've had myself and four friends all packed in, and they were actually reasonably comfortable in the back), but as the driver, I realized how much of a performance hit having an extra 3 or 4 people is on the car... The engine drags on accel, and the rev's are about 300rpms higher than normal at any given speed... Long story short, if you add any more than 1 or 2 people, you lose quite a bit of performance... :cry:
    i thought you had trouble taking it off? ;)

metal would look horrible. and its 'decal' not 'sticker'. ;)
    yeah, this is the problem with a high performance engine with average torque. you gotta ring it out even more.

i wish i could combine the handling of an si with the torque of a gti; that would be perfect.
    actually the engine in your car HAS been tricked out to do so; out of all the sporty compacts nowadays the civic si is one of the very few that is actually asking for it; i think honda did it on purpose: naturally aspirated, great handling, room for a turbo, its totally obvious. That and the fact that the k series is legendary and is extraordinairly hardy even after high hp modifications.
  • blairspeedblairspeed Member Posts: 11
    Ive heard the K-series engines have more potential then the F20 engines in the S2000s. :-)
    Ive heard the K-series engines have more potential then the F20 engines in the S2000s

i dunno if its 'more' potential...there are some pretty modded s2k's out there with incredible hp numbers. I think you just see more k series that are modded; they can be swapped into a lot of different chassis for 'relatively' cheap, whereas the f series in the s2k is set up for rwd.

having said that, there is a little known f series engine called the f20 (the engine in the s2k is actually the f22.) that was used in the european accords in an 'Si-R' trim:
    it was a 2.0 that came in a manual and auto version, with 200 hp/ 140 bls of torque and 180hp and 132lbs of torque respecitively. These engines are great in older accords, as they fit the chassis perfectly and are relatively inexpensive.

k series are great though. its very popular to do a 'frankenstein' swap, they use the block of a tsx (k24) for the torque and a k20 head for the high revving hp. Great combo. A buttload of money. They are very sturdy for turbocharging as well.
    Ive heard the K-series engines have more potential then the F20 engines in the S2000s

i dunno if its 'more' potential...there are some pretty modded s2k's out there with incredible hp numbers. I think you just see more k series that are modded; they can be swapped into a lot of different chassis for 'relatively' cheap, whereas the f series in the s2k is set up for rwd.

having said that, there is a little known f series engine called the f20 (the engine in the s2k is actually the f22.) that was used in the european accords in an 'Si-R' trim:
    it was a 2.0 that came in a manual and auto version, with 200 hp/ 140 bls of torque and 180hp and 132lbs of torque respecitively. These engines are great in older accords, as they fit the chassis perfectly and are relatively inexpensive.

k series are great though. its very popular to do a 'frankenstein' swap, they use the block of a tsx (k24) for the torque and a k20 head for the high revving hp. Great combo. A buttload of money. They are very sturdy for turbocharging as well.
  • blitzebillblitzebill Member Posts: 25
    ...last Saturday (23rd), a habanero pearl Si sedan. traded my '05 accord coupe 4-cyl for it. the Si loves to get up and go, so getting thru that break-in period, as many of you have said, seems to take forever.

yes, i've noticed the 'rev hang,' but thought little of it...so far...

the dual dash is not a bother to me, i listen to the engine to shift, and once the break-in is over, will jjust let it all hang out anyway ;) ...

i'm 53 and loving every minute of it, my other car is a '90 miata with 82K on it...

getting used to 2 clutches has been a re-learning experience though...

my saleman told me about premium fuel and also said i could tank it up with reg unleaded, but probably won't do so, at least thru the break-in period, if that means anything...

i've seen only a couple other Si sedans around here, and people do notice the car, which is fine by me, and i'm used to it from having a miata...

this looks like a great forum with great people posting, i'll bookmark this place!

i'm having trouble staying out of the car, or just going into the garage to look at it...the only mod i've done to it so far is add an XM radio to it to keep my account that i had with the accord...

this car is going to be fun! :shades:
    Cool blitzebill. I have a Habanero pearl sedan too. Love that color.

I've noticed the rev hang too, but that doesn't bother me at all. It doesn't seem to hurt driveability. The thing that's weird to get used to is a gas pedal that's hinged to the floor, instead of hanging. I know weird issue, but I typically drive with the toe of my shoe near the bottom of the pedal, not the whole foot.

It is easy to heal-toe though.
    ...has anyone tried reg unlead in their tanks?

as i said above, my saleman said it was OK to use reg unlead, but i'm sure peak performance is hindered...
    any of you who have a few hundred or a thousand miles on your Si notice a change in the tone of the exhaust?

the miata's exhaust tone tends to broaden that throaty tone over the miles, and i was wondering if the Si's tone will change over time...it's a sweet, hefty purr so far...
  • civiclove1civiclove1 Member Posts: 5
    I bought this Civic SI/ 6 speed manual trans. in April 07. (LOVE THIS CAR) and have always noticed a kind of hesitation when accelerating in 1st and second gear. This happens more so when it is cold. I took it to the dealer and of course the dealer was unable to match the hesitation at that time. I'm using the proper fuel, 93 octane Shell gas and have tried Mobile with techron as well. This car runs strong but the hesitation is present sometimes more than others. I'm getting great gas milage and love everything about the car. **I also find myself opening the garage door just to look at this car** ( Fiji Blue Pearl ) I just want to see if by chance anyone else has experienced anything like what I'm experiencing. I've heard that it is caused by the Drive by Wire throttle system.
    Blitz, I'm at around 2.5k miles, and i've yet to notice any change in the exhaust tone--still purring like a beauty. I have noticed, however, that you hear it best between 2500-3200 rpms. ;)
  • nighthawk1nighthawk1 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking for someone with a 2007 Nighthawk Black Civic LX or EX sedan to swap trunks with. I have a 2007 Civic Sedan Si and do not like the look of the large rear spoiler. I'd prefer the small rear spoiler or no spoiler at all and am willing to do an even swap. My email is Crow2Zero@aol.com and I'm in central NJ.
    There's a few people here that felt the same thing. The car does seem to like a warm-up period when first started. Mine feels a litle hesitant, choppy, until it gets some heat build-up. It's probably just a combination of an all aluminum engine, tiny 4 cylinder, and emission controls.

Occasionaly, after the car is warmed-up, I'll get a hesitation on light acceleration in 1st gear. But, I've experienced the same thing in other stick shift cars. It could be becuase of the drive-by-wire system, the PCM's programing and small, low torque 4 cylinder.
    well after using my first ever half tank of premium gas (the car's first 218 miles), i got around 30 mpg...not bad i'd say for a brand new car.

my '05 accord coupe got in the low 40s last fall on a trip to st louis and back (to east central ohio).
    After only 17 days, Im just about to hit 2,000 miles on my silver Si Sedan. Ha Ha, thats alot of driving. The exhaust tone hasnt changed at all yet but I do know over time exhausts do tend to get throatier...time will tell i guess. Btw, this car is alot of fun to drive. Now that the car as some miles, the clutch and shifter are alot smoother and easier to engage. The engine seems to rev even easier and the v-tec change over seems to pull a bit harder although im sure its all relative.
    Has a comparison between the SI sedan and the new Sentra Spec. They were able to nail a 0-60 in 6.3 and the 1/4 in 14.8. :surprise:

Motortrends numbers are always quicker than everybody else's tho.
    yeah thats amazingly fast for an si...i guess their gti's run 0-50 as fast as a mazdaspeed3!
    So far all the reviews I've seen peg the GTI about a tenth, or two, quicker than an SI. The Mazdaspeed3, that things in it's own league.
    I'm envious of how quick those things are. Low 14 sec quarters, that's a bit too much of a speed demon to hand the keys over to the wife. Plus, I'm just a fan of naturally aspirated vehicles.
  • barrettheadbarretthead Member Posts: 28
    just got 36.4 mpg from va beach to philly in nighthawk black si sedan. quite pleased with those numbers. did not even use cruise control except for about 10-15 minutes.
  • joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    I have a Type S RSX and it has typical coupe blind spots are the Honda coupes,the same? My 6 spd gets 25mpg around town ,and 31 highway.I use 91 0ctane,sometimes 93.
    Some people have told me to go middle grade and the sensor will adjust the fuel.
    Also, how are the cup holders and do you get a lumbar support.
    I'm torn between the Mini S and Mazda 2.3 (reg Gas)Well,the Mini takes 91 ,but the milage is unreal.Both cars offer heated seats.Mazda milage not great.
    Some have posted paint quality is sub par Honda ,but it always has been.
    My low end torque is maginal,but once in third gear I can go light speed.
    So what to buy?Civic SI,Mazda 2.3, or Mini CooperS :confuse:
    buy the Si...and you'll never look back...('cause the others will be way far behind)
    I would imagine the coupe would have blind spots. 4 door isn't bad at all, nothing out of the ordinary for modern vehicles.

You could go down in octane, and shouldn't have problems. But, you'll lose performance and MPG. Saving $2-3 at the pump could cost you a couple mpg.

Cup holders are excellent! Very deep, hold any size drink, and seem very sturdy. And lumbar support is excellent. You will not move in hard conering. Makes egress a little difficult, but nothing a normal sized person would worry about.

When you ask about the Mazda 3, are you referring to the Mazdaspeed 3? Both the 3's get great reviews. The Mazdaspeed 3 seems hard to get ahold of right now though. The 3 is a nice car, comprable to a LX or EX civic. They say they are sporty and reliable packages. But not a 'sport' model.

The Mini's are always reviewed well and have great gas milage and good reliability. A few acquiantances own them and they like them, but just about everyone I talked to have had to replace their run flats. Run flats can't be fixed. You get a flat, plan on buying 2 new tires.

Personally, I'd never buy a vehicle with run flats. I'd rather have a AAA membership and a can of fix-a-flat.

You just need to test drive the vehicles. I love my SI and all the members in this forum love theirs, so we will all recomend the SI over anything in the price range.
    Very good MPG. I thought a good driver could easily hit 35 mpg on a long cruise.

I'm actually in the Philly area, you from this area or VA? How long of a drive is it? We were actually thinking of going to VA beach this summer.
    The "long cruise" to Philly-VA Beach is actually a stop and go ride with speed limits ranging from 35mph to 55mph. The route is via 95-1-113-13 which I highly reccommend rather than 95 the whole way down. The drive takes approx. 4.5-5 hours with not much to look at. Therefore, 35mpg is spectacular, 35mpg isn't easy on any car unless you drive constantly at 45mph with no stops. My wife and I are originally from right outside of the Philly area but we currently reside in Va Beach.

Overall, we're pleased with the real mpg so far with the SI. Waiting to see results from a long trip using the cruise control. Expect to best previous numbers.

Once again, avoid 95 at all costs unless traveling in the wee hours (excluding the northen region to get to route 1).
    its all up to you of course, but i thnk that the Si is a different class of refinement and daily driveability than you are used top with the rsx, and i love the rsx. all your opttions are not bad, i have friends that have a mazda 3, a cooper, and me with my si. they all love thier cars but are all amazed at how much larger mine feels from the inside on the road and the quality of the ride. i still have a few questions about mazda's, long term wise.

the coper and si are decidedly more fun, and i am seeing really really good mpg numbers from my si, cooper good as well, so paying the extra 2-3 bucks per fillup is not that big of a deal to me for the premium for more with the cooper or si, especially when i see better mpg to boot.
    incredible mileage for your si barret head.

you must not EVER floor it. its safe to say you are the only person on the face of this earth who will ever see mpg numbers like that on his/her si.
    i drive pretty conservatively most of the time, when i do wind it out a bit the mileage does drop for sure.

But even on the tanks that i fun drive, i still see upwards of 24-26 mpg in the city. that over 36 mpg tank waa the best i had yet, coming back from philly i had just over 35 mpg. i am moving to Portland, OR this fall and i am looking forward to what kind of results i will see with the cruise on for a few hundred miles.

I really have to say with the mileage i see combined with just how much i enjoy driving this car and operating the gearbox, i wonder how i could have even considered the EX.

on a follow up note, the suspension knocking or bushing pop that i previously experienced has greatly diminished.
    I don't kill the milage with an occasional WOT blast to 70 or tossing the car around on the back roads.

You just really need to accelerate conservatively in the other 98% of driving that you do.
    see this is my problem; if i had an si sedan, the simple nature of the car would make me not want to drive this way; i'd be flooring it and taking every twisty with glee!
    i used to average 38 mpg when driving mostly highway in my old ex, so i guess that means you'd get civic hybrid mileage with an ex! ;)
    Wow, you guys have lots of will power... let me tell you! Ive only been averaging 24-26 mpg as I like to drive my Si sedan with enthusiasm. I usually do full throttle acceleration until around 4-5k revs and shift until up to speed. I usually dont hit v-tec unless im getting on the freeway or find myself on a long open road.
    totally agree with your post! except for this statement that seems it wil never die:

I usually dont hit v-tec unless im getting on the freeway or find myself on a long open road.

if you had an older si like pre 2002, this statement would work, because the old vtec didnt engage until certain rpms. the newer i vtec is available throught the rev range, but it switches to so called 'hot cams' once you near the peak hp/torque rpm levels. so you are hitting something, your just not 'engaging' vtec, since its already been engaged from the moment you put your foot to the pedal.
    Hey, just curious... I'm in the Colorado Springs, CO area, and have noticed that nowhere has 92 octane like the Si asks for--rather, the highest rating anywhere is 91. Is that just a regional thing for some reason? Anyone think it should be of some concern, or just a minor annoyance that must be dealt with?
    Sounds just like a minor annoyance you'll just have to get used to. What about Sunococ? They offer a 94 octane (or at least they did). As long as you don't hear any pinging (detonation) you should be A-OK.
    Yes, I do have lots of will power. It's tought tho! Especially on some of the PA backroads, but then I go for it.

One road in particular, that's been my favorite for the past 20 years. You can't help yourself from driving like a nut on it.

Most of my driving is in traffic and congested freeways, so that helps me keep it sane and level. Today I actually just kicked the cruise on and left it at 60. The cops have been unreal the last 2 weeks.

July 3rd, I saw about 15 cops on my 35 mile trip to work. About 5 people pulled over. All week I've see at least 3 cars pulled over ever trip to and from work. So, it's not a good time for hi-jinxs.
    Hey Joem, actually had a chance to talk with a girl at work who owns a Mini (first year model). Of course I was helping her jump start the car at the time.

She's owned it since new and has numerous problems, un-resolved leaks, sensors going bad, lots of flats, anti-lock's no longer work.

Could just be becuase it's a first year model. But, doesn't sound good.
    Also, I remember reading something somewhere about certain companies in high altitude areas adding some sort of metal (magnesium something?) or whatever to their fuel... any ideas about what that's all about, and what companies do use it, or how i can avoid it?
  • nighthawk1nighthawk1 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a new 2007 nighthawk black civic si. I don't like the big sporty wing on the back and am looking for someone with a nighthawk black civic LX or EX to trade trunks with. Any takers? If so, email me at crow2Zero@aol.com. I live in NJ.
  • maggiesuemaggiesue Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone out there test drove the two cars, si and speed 3 back to back??? I was in Salt Lake last weekend, drove the speed 3, but couldn't find an si to drive afterwards. I have driven the si, but a while ago. I live in Denver, and therefore, loose some horse power from the high altitude on the si, the speed 3 was a blast to drive by the way!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!