Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit

Comments

• anotherscottanotherscott Member Posts: 93
    You asked what advantage a Focus might have over a Fit... The Focus is also on my short list, so here's what I came up with. I'm actually looking at the Focus ZXW, because the main reason the Fit might not work for me is insufficient cargo space. Normally the ZXW would be pricier, but there's currently $2500 cash back which makes it aobut $14,500 (Edmunds TMV) as I would equip it (i.e. with ABS and side airbags, which as it happens, also makes it a more valid comparison with the $14,400 Fit).

So, in that configuration, price is about the same either way.

Focus advantage:
    * Much more cargo capacity, over 70 cubic feet, vs. about 40 for the Fit
    * At the price I spec'd, I also included traction control, which is not available on the Fit
    * the CD player plays MP3 discs (a minor point, I know, it just happens to be something useful to me; you can also spring for a 6-disc changer with steering wheel controls as an option)

Disadvantages:
    * fuel economy (rated 26 mpg sity vs. Fit's 33)
    * I'm guessing it won't be as fun to drive, though Focus in general has gotten high marks there
    * it's presumably not going to have the Honda quality/reliability, though they have been pretty good lately

The cars I've been looking at are the Fit, Focus, Matrix (possibly used), and Aerio. Each has pros and cons...
  • sd_driversd_driver Member Posts: 49
    I've decided that a locking gas cap is just not worth carrying around the extra key.

If someone wants to siphon gas, it'll just take 2 seconds with a screwdriver to take off a locking gas cap--or open one of those locking filler doors for that matter.

Stealing gas is just not worth the risk. I'd think there'd be much more profitable lines of criminality than that.

As for protecting you against vandalism (sugar in the tank; etc.), it would only take a few seconds more to pop the door or the cap without leaving a noticeable mark. Besides, these days, sugaring a gas tank might get charged as a "terrorist act". Are people going to risk that for a practical joke?

But if it helps you sleep easier, buy the lock.
  • jeffhendrjeffhendr Member Posts: 9
    "It certainly sounds like it delivers in the handling department, and has great acceleration....but how many people here are shopping on that basis? "

I've noticed a few comments like this scattered about this forum, but I'd have to say that the Fit's handling is a major factor in my decision to pay $15+ for a compact car. I've always been big on performance, and haven't ever put that much thought into gas mileage and cargo space...until now. As gas prices have shot up, I've been thinking more and more about going the practical route--trying to find a car that will last forever, get great gas mileage, but will STILL BE FUN TO DRIVE. The Fit gives me the best of everything. (Previous cars: 1995 Pontiac Firebird with a modified 400 horsepower V8, 1993 BMW 325i--gladly sold this last week and very much looking forward to the Honda Fit)
  • jonniedeejonniedee Member Posts: 111
    Besides, these days, sugaring a gas tank might get charged as a "terrorist act".

LOL ;) - sad part is I could see this happening :cry:
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    Actually, I really could see it happening, as well ... but to SUV's and other large, gas-guzzling vehicles, by eco-terrorists. :surprise:
  • vchiuvchiu Member Posts: 564
    It is interesting to see the Fit is just doing average in Europe Tests. I see many reasons

1) there is a strong offer in subcompacts with French, German and Italian brands. many such models are not available in the US

2) Most Europe tests are done with manual shifter, automatics being a small fraction of the available models

3) Many models come with Diesel, which is not available on subcompacts in the US

4) the FIT comes with small 1.2 and 1.3 Engines which makes it sluggish while most subcompacts available in the US at least come with 1.5/1.6 Liter

It would be interesting to have such European models avaialble in the US. Those looking for Economy cars would really get a good comparison
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    Actually, the Jazz does remarkably well for its age in the hyper-competitive European B-segment market.
    While I think the days of the current generation Jazz winning awards in Europe are coming to an end, it still beats the competition in many ways. Totalcar, the most highly respected car show/website in Hungary tested 5 B-segment cars last summer. Jazz beat them all. It was also rated the "Best car in Hungary" :surprise: when it came out on top in a survey of 10 000 vehicle owners. That survey is now at 15 000 owners, but I think the Jazz is still at the top. I know it still scores well in other countries too. I was reading a recent issue of CAR magazine (UK) and the Jazz was still considered a respectable contender...probably the oldest model in the category too!

The main thing keeping the car back is the price, which is a bit high compared to the competition. Of course, the time for a FMC (full model change) is nearing for the EUDM Jazz, it's still a competitive car.

I think a good addition to the Jazz line in Europe would be a low-volume 1.5i ES Sport model to replace the not-so-sporty 1.4i ES Sport. Even the smaller Suzuki Swift has a 1.5L engine producing 102 HP.

"2) Most Europe tests are done with manual shifter, automatics being a small fraction of the available models"
    Manual transmissions are by far the popular choice in Europe. I think it's 95%+ in many countries and automatics are very rare. I have never actually seen an automatic transmission Jazz :surprise: (or Fit for that matter), and the popular 1.2i engine can only be had with the 5MT!
    I feel the same way, Jeff. I'm looking for cargo space, high MPG, and low cost... but don't want to sacrifice fun-to-drive. I almost bought the Scion xB, but it wasn't fun. The Fit is comparable in cargo, MPG, and price, so the fun-to-drive factor is what would make the difference. (I also like the side airbags, but really wish the base stereo played MP3 CDs; xB was the opposite.) If the cargo area turns out not to be enough for me, I'll have to go with something with lesser fuel economy, but I hope to avoid that.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    My only real gripe with the Fit is the rear sil. The thing has a nice, flat cargo area and it's WIDE. Yet, the opening is rounded at the corners, making what should be an opening that you could slide a 36-40 inch square box into shrink down to 30 inches square or so.

I really REALLY hope they address this with the upcoming reworking of the model.
    1) Currently sold CVT in China is good. little slipping feel. sometimes a bit jerky in very slow manoeuvers but nothing like a big issue.
    about 3500 RPM at 85Mph stabilized. Engine stays very discreet unless when flooring the gas pedal.
    City mileage : 9 L/100

2) Agreed. Even add a turbocharger with direct Gasoline Injection like VW. would be a dream

3) Agreed as well. I prefer a more informative gauge, rather than two leds saying either "too early" or "too late"

4) allow display of Liter/100 or mpg + trip mileage at the same time

5) improve road noise insulation
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I bet that design offers better structural reinforcement, which is critical on a small, light car.
  • gonzo99gonzo99 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks to all who wrote opinions/info on the 14" versus 15" wheels.

I wonder if anyone can point me toward a link that show pictures of the AMERICAN colors for the Fit? There are so many diffeent color pages from different countries, that I can't keep them straight.

Thanx.
  • tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    Seriously I am Fat and little cars make me
    claustrophobic but I would love a fun hatchback
    so why do I obsess about the Fit car.I presently
    have an SUV that gets 15-20 mpg and it is not fun.
    It is about 8 inches wider than a Fit so it fits me.
    One of my hangups is warranty and 3/36 is not a good
    warranty.Whenever a sales person mentions extended
    warranty I say if you don't trust the car you are selling
    why should I.At least the Fit has a 5/60 warranty
    on the drivetrain which is equal to Toyota
  • ansandovansandov Member Posts: 7
    YOU'VE BEEN WRONG ALL THIS TIME GUYS......

Regarding the gas cap lock... great news!...YOU DON'T NEED ONE!! I repeat.. YOU DON'T NEED ONE! :)

Let me tell you that I was under the same dilemma when I bought my Fit thinking "how can they missed the inside shift PULL to unlock the Gas door like every Honda I've known". Thinking to must buy a locked cap... then when I went to fill up the gas the first time myself (11/05) I noticed that I couldn't open the Gas door and I was "WHAT?... A defect! oh No! :cry: .... (by that time My car was locked due to some snack Shopping during the trip). any how,so I unlocked the car with the Remote.. got in side.....went back to open try to open the gas door and ......Voilá...for some strange reason the door was free again.

In One sentence: there I was again, amazed once more by the Fit.

Cut to the Chase:

THERE IS A METALLIC PIN (ELECTRIC) THAT WORKS IN SYNCH WITH YOUR DOOR LOCKS....EVERYTIME YOU UNLOCKED THE DOORS THE GAS COMPARTMENT GETS UNLOCKED. WHENEVER YOUR RIDING AND/OR HAVE YOUR LOCKS DOWN THE GAS DOOR IS LOCKED...PRETTY NEAT!!!
    EVEN BETTER THAN THE LIFT PULL...YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT. :D

What did I told you...YOU DON'T NEED A GAS CAP WITH LOCK!

:surprise:
  • reddroverrreddroverr Member Posts: 509
    I hope the dealers tell people about that, because it will confuse the hell out of a lot of people.
  • cdoccdoc Member Posts: 41
    Now THAT'S intelligent design.
    Ansandov, not to doubt you, but I thought your car was from Mexico? I know the Canadians have been going nuts over the locking fuel filler door issue over on FitFreak.net... and they HAVE the NA car.

So, I'm still not 100% sure, until a canook comes on this board and confirms it.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    I read that comparison in CAR as well. They sure praised the Grande Punto, which is good for Fiat considering how much they have riding on that one model...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    But wouldn't that be wasting 25+ gallons of perfectly good, gasoline? :) They'd never be so wasteful. Maybe recycling someone's bumper stickers could work. :shades:
    I dunno... they've been known to burn down buildings (made of perfectly good wood), torch SUV's in parking lots, flatten tires... I wouldn't put it past 'em.
    What is unusual is that the fuel filler door is located a few inches higher on the US and Canadian models than anywhere else. Why they did this :confuse: , I have no possible idea, but if they moved the fuel door, who knows what they did to the locking mechanism on it.
    Ya know Hungarian, I didn't notice they moved the fuel-filler door, until I read your post. Everywhere else, the door is located in such a place, that it is bisected by the body crease, whereas in the NA Fit, it sits entirely above it. Good catch!
    My biggest complaint about the base Fit is that it doesn't play MP3 CDs. Does anyone have any thoughts about the viability of a replacement stereo? Maybe some overseas folk here could talk about whether recent Jazz/Fit models elsewhere have had aftermarket stereos available? I'm disappointed that Honda didn't include that feature, and further disappointed that they don't offer a stereo upgrade short of going all the way to the Sport, and further disappointed that they have an odd design that looks like it will be hard to go aftermarket...
  • makabemakabe Member Posts: 50
    For the cost of a replacement stereo, you could get the ipod link AND an ipod. Loss of MP3 CD compatibility doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
    The ipod link doesn't interest me much because of what I read here:

http://www.nuxx.net/hondamusiclink.html

I think it would be simpler, faster, safer, and less frustrating to use MP3 CDs.

On my current car, I use an iPod (3G) through a cassette adapter, and even that is so clumsy that I hardly use it. (Of course, on the Fit, with no cassette player, that isn't an option either, and the FM things are awful in NY.)

I think navigating the scroll wheel is just too dangerous to do while driving. It requires too-sensitive motions, which means more of your attention (i.e. to move it "just a little bit"), and it requires that you take your eyes far off the road, for multiple seconds. With an MP3 cd, the more hierarchical structure, large anchored car-radio controls, and big text display closer to your normal eye-line mean you can do some basic navigation pretty easily, and swapping CDs is also easy, so you can pretty easily change what you're listening to.

With the iPod, apart from "skip song," whatever I pick at the start of the trip is what I end up with for the whole trip, because it's awkward/unsafe to operate while driving. So I think Honda was right in realizing that a whole different interface is needed for a car, but from what I read, their implementation isn't quite there. At least for now, MP3 CDs would seem a much better choice, at least for me.

Though since I haven't actually seen/heard the Honda adapter in action, I will add, "I could be wrong..."
    Does anyone else thing the slogan, "The Fit is Go" is awful? I guess I'm just of the wrong generation...
    Don't feel bad. The whole marketing campaign has been a thorn in the side of a lot of people on this board, and many others, regardless of age.
    Don't understand the fuss around this. Of course the tank door locks with other doors through the centralized locking system. I never had any issue with mine

I thought the fear was that the trap lock would not be strong enough and that it could still be pry open.

I can't believe some people though the door would not be locked in any way.
  • sd_driversd_driver Member Posts: 49
    I think I see the reason Honda has had such a whack promotional campaign for the Fit.

I think they are going to bring the new, FMC Fit here next year. So they don't want too much hype, too big an opening for the Fit this year. They have to get it in the game here to compete with Yaris, Versa, etc., but they don't want to make too big of a splash. I think next year, with the FMC, they will have a huge, coordinated, sophisticated marketing campaign--and kind of act like the first year Fit here in the US was just some kind of anamoly.

They're saving their ammo for next year.

Just a guess.
  • mebmanmebman Member Posts: 100
    Your fit however is also not a North American Fit. I'm not so sure that they didn't leave out this cool feature on our model. The specs and features at Honda's website dont mention a locking gas cap. When I saw the N.A. Fit at the Houston auto show and I remember thinking that wasn't good that the gas cap didn't lock. Having said that, I didn't lock the doors and then try the gas cap. I hope you are right and this little feature is incorporated into the N.A. Fit.

By the way I still haven't gotten my car yet. My dealer says that the Fit is still stuck in the port of Houston (20 miles away) awaiting transport. :(
  • thatsmycallthatsmycall Member Posts: 54
    from uk.cars.yahoo-
    Theres an unmistakeable buzz you get behind the wheel of the Jazz Sport. Its that feel you get when you drive well-sorted BMWs, Porsches and Subarus, namely that this car has been built by enthusiasts, car nuts who cant resist engineering a big shovelful of fun into even the most sensible transport. Of course, the Jazz can play the sensible card with aplomb, but get it on a twisty road and itll plaster a big grin across your face in a way that few of its rivals could ever countenance.

...the inherent excellence of the Jazzs underpinnings mean that it never feels like its trying to hoodwink us with its competition credentials. This is a car that has motorsport in its blood. However distant the family link, its there.

You can feel it the moment you turn a wheel, whenever you feel the suspension load up, every time you lean on the low profile tyres. Its not hot, or warm, heck its barely tepid, but you wont care. The Jazz Sport has been tickled by the fun stick. Have you?
  • crimsonacrimsona Member Posts: 153
    The Canadian Fit does not have a locking gas cap, accessible with or without the doors locked. The lockable cap is a $61 CAD option from the dealer.

In response to the mp3 CD guy, the Sport trim in Canada has a mp3/wma compatible player. Also, all trim levels here have an AUX in port (even the base), which means that if you use the lineout, it should come out better than a FM transmitter or casette converter, moreso if you use the ipod dock's lineout instead of the unit's headphone out. There is ample space in the cubbyhole next to the AUX jack (which is located near the shifter, right next to/above the cig lighter).

One last thing. The deck provided by Honda has really weird contours, with the volume knob and oversized buttons. I'm not sure how you would go about replacing it, since removal of the cd deck would leave a circular hole where the buttons used to be. It's a hell of a mod to change decks, that's for sure.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I don't get it, and I'm 18 (probably close to their target, no?
    Some time ago, someone mentioned that the former generation 4-bolt Civic wheels would fit the Fit. After hearing that, I began to pursue the idea of purchasing accessory Civic wheels (there were several 14 and 15 inch choices for the 7th generation Civic).

The parts department at the dealer I ordered the car from says they don't know enough about the Fit if the wheels would work. However, I e-mailed College Hills Honda (hondapreview.com) and they said they would not recommend the older Civic wheels since they have a 45 mm offset while the Fit has 55 mm. While I know what the offset is, I'm not sure how much a 10 mm difference would affect the car's handling, etc.
    ...just a thought.
    They make 14 inch alloys for the current Civic Hybrid. Look a bit interesting, but at $169 MSRP each(read - haggle some), they appear to be the way to go.
  • mauicedarmauicedar Member Posts: 34
    Can anyone post the Car and Driver comparison which included the Fit?
    The Sport model in the U.S. has the MP3 compatibility too. It's just a big price to pay if that's the only thing one cares about in the Sport model over the base.

In the U.S., though, I don't believe the base has an Aux in port.
    Ah, so it's not a generational thing. I had wondered if that use of "go" might have been (coincidentally enough) similar to 20-something timbuk3's referring to a dealer as being "chill," i.e. a verb that the next generation turned into an adjective. If that's not the case, then the only other thing the slogan makes me think of is all the badly written manuals that have come with Japanese products over the years, clearly written by a non-native speaker (and sometimes rather funny, if somewhat indecipherable).
    Honda better re-think the no MP3 thing and FAST. I can get a $95 Kenwood CD player that will work with MP3s.
  • brek1brek1 Member Posts: 19

I think navigating the scroll wheel is just too dangerous to do while driving. It requires too-sensitive motions, which means more of your attention (i.e. to move it "just a little bit"), and it requires that you take your eyes far off the road, for multiple seconds. With an MP3 cd, the more hierarchical structure, large anchored car-radio controls, and big text display closer to your normal eye-line mean you can do some basic navigation pretty easily, and swapping CDs is also easy, so you can pretty easily change what you're listening to."

i totally agree with your thoughts on using an ipod. If you are using a 3g ipod, the honda music link wont work. I have a 3G ipod and i think im going to go with the sport model AND get an aftermarket stereo. its kind of a waste, but at least i'll have the Aux port (maybe use it with a cassette walkman...) and two extra speakers

However, I think in order to get a replacement stereo, you need a new panel for the dash. im not sure if its available in NA yet, you may have to import it and its probably a pain to install... :(
    You can use the Honda navigation system panel for aftermarket radio installations. Check out the following link: Fit Fascia (Note: if you order the panel from an overseas dealer, make sure you order one that was designed for a model with the steering wheel on the left. It's pretty likely, however, that these panels should already be in the US by the time the Fit arrives next week.)
    It's hard to say whether or not this would be feasible (since we don't have the actual car in the US as of yet--maybe one of the Canadian owners could provide some insight), but perhaps a BMW or Volkswagen fuel door actuator could be installed. Both models slide a metal pin into a hole on the edge of the fuel door when you use keyless entry to lock the doors--BMW version is electric, while the VW version (93-98 Golf) is vacuum-operated.
    Don't knock music link until you try it. All the bad internet buzz seems to be based around the voice inter-active Nav system's, NOT the standard systems like Fit has.
    My nephew has a new LX Civic with it installed and it works just fine.
    You need to LEARN how to work it. The best part is the Menu is spoken not displayed - you keep your eyes on the road and if you learn the button assignments you don't have to even look at the stereo.
    Just people bitchin' about new technology before they check it out first hand for themselves... :mad:
  • brek1brek1 Member Posts: 19
    My nephew has a new LX Civic with it installed and it works just fine.

Thanks for sharing the other side. Do you know if your nephew has a large ipod library (over 20gb), or something in the smaller (5-10gb)range? it seems that the honda tts system would work better for someone with a smaller library, but, of course, i havent tried so i dont know for sure.

either way, myself and the original poster cant test without buying a new ipod first since honda doesnt support 3G ipods.
  • bostonjazzbostonjazz Member Posts: 51
    This article is on the mark in my opinion.

Among the interesting points I agree with:

"Honda Fit a pleasing but pricey subcompact package" (headline)

"Unfortunately, it is priced beyond what comes to mind, too: $14,400 to start, an additional $1,500 typically equipped — as much as a larger, if less lavishly appointed, Civic."

"The Fit Sport, which Honda says will be the preferred version, starts at $15,720. Sport is all cosmetics; it doesn't have a bigger engine or stiffer suspension as the name implies."

Interesting that the Sport is the "preferred version" according to Honda - it's also the higher priced version, with a bunch of features many people might not want.

Anyway, many other interesting positives and negatives, certain to generate debate :)

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/2006-04-14-test-drive-honda-fit_x.ht- m
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I guess USA Today hasn't priced small cars lately. A Kia Rio5 equipped with similar features to the base Fit costs almost $15k (the Rio5 has alloys for that price). Same for the Hyundai Accent. The Yaris, comparably equipped, costs more than the Fit. So at least in base form the Fit is priced quite reasonably. Who needs the bolt-on plastic pieces and alloys? (Cruise and keyless entry would be nice options on the base Fit though).
    "Unfortunately, it is priced beyond what comes to mind, too: $14,400 to start, an additional $1,500 typically equipped — as much as a larger, if less lavishly appointed, Civic."
    Less lavishly appointed...yes, that's the point. You can get a Civic DX for only $14,760. That's only $910 over a base Fit. However, you will be forgoing many convenience features: A/C, power locks, power mirrors, CD player, etc. The base Fit is equipped almost like a Civic LX, save for the cruise control and keyless entry. Suddenly the $2,860 difference offers some price differentation.

"Here's betting that some potential buyers will simply not like the idea of riding atop 10 gallons of gasoline."
    Too bad for them. Are these the same people that never complain that their 3 children are sitting over the tank in every other car! You have to put the gas tank somewhere, and in my opinion the best place to put it is where the occupants are...the most protected area of the car. So what if you are sitting over it. If the gas tank happens to explode, you are just as screwed if you sit over it than if you sit 2 feet in front of it.

"Rear suspension's solid beam instead of better-handling independent setup."
    Wrong. The rear is a semi-independent torsion beam, not a fully dependent solid beam. It's also just as much of a space-saving measure as it is cost-saving.

"Sport is all cosmetics; it doesn't have a bigger engine or stiffer suspension as the name implies."
    Fine with me...I'm getting the base. ;)
    I wouldn't mind having the L13A, but I'm glad they keep the tight, sporty suspension settings for both US-market trims.
  • reddroverrreddroverr Member Posts: 509
    It seems they were somewhat thinking of an economy car as being a stripped down model. To some extent they are right...or it is a mindset thing? but, since they got it wrong by saying that the base Yaris doesn't come with AC, I am not sure how much stock I would put in the quality of the research.

I might think about an eco car with out electronic locks and such for a couple-three k less. I would have to plan on keeping it for awhile. I may be weird though.---don't answer that. ;)
    Do you know if your nephew has a large ipod library (over 20gb), or something in the smaller (5-10gb)range?

I bought the same 5th gen as his - 30gig.
    Side bar: Our local dealer has a video demo of Music Link that plays in a Keosk at their shop...maybe yours has access to it as well? :confuse:
    Again a visit to College Hills website and a look through the PDF of the Op manual should answer alott of questions...
  • coldstorage5coldstorage5 Member Posts: 76
    Hey, Just got backand wanted to share .
    1) I made the Honda worker look up at a private Honda site the MSRP for a auto Sport: $15950 + a destination charge of $500 = 16,450 with out tax. The base was around 13K
    I sat in all the b level cars. Im six ft and 200 pounds.
    I sat in all the seats played around with magic seats.
    I liked the room in all the seats. I like my driver seat all the way back and the rear passenger had plenty of room. I thought the engine room was cramped. Other cars had more engine rm. Tune ups wil take some gettin used to.

I saw the suzuki, Yaris, the kia and the Versa. All looked nice but the fit felt like the best buy. Th Versa seemed solid the others seemd cheap.