Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• boberonicusboberonicus Member Posts: 7
    > I'm skeptical on the lower offers simply because I am wondering how much in dealer
    > add ons and accessories are they going to try and slam me with and which ones
    > will refuse to take all that extra pricing off. Any advice/tips?

You should ask for "out the door" quotes. This should include tax, non-optional stupid dealer add-ons, etc. I did this and was fairly happy with the process. This was not for a Fit purchase. Anyway, the dealer I finally dealt with tried to pump me for a lot of extra nonsense, so my wife and I spent an agonizing 90 minutes (maybe it was 30 and just seemed like 90) saying "no, we don't want that either." and eventually they took our check, which we had made out before arriving at the dealer.

In future, I'm going to send the dealer a check for the pre-agreed upon amount, ask them to cash it and ask them to charge me $50 to deliver the car and whatever papers they want me to sign. Keep it as bloodless as possible...
  • meltronmeltron Member Posts: 5
    I had one of those dealers from the list email me again and say "if i could get you the car/color you want without any dealer add ons and $50 below msrp (15,905) could you come in today?" I didn't get it until later though because of work..

As far as asking about an OTD price.. I did ask one guy from Honda Cars of Mckinney and he said, "I can't really talk about all that on the phone."
  • boberonicusboberonicus Member Posts: 7
    > As far as asking about an OTD price.. I did ask one guy from Honda Cars of
    > Mckinney and he said, "I can't really talk about all that on the phone."

An OTD price over the phone is useless. "Oh, I thought you said..." You need the quote in writing (fax, email, etc.) Even then, they play tricks. One guy refused to reply with my original email, he just sent a brief email with a "price". But for what? You must create a precise specification of your request (trim, options, colors that are OK, tax, prep, license, etc.) You send it to five dealers. Three of them get back to you with a formal reply, you're good to go.
  • seadogdocseadogdoc Member Posts: 1
    Today, I too got the exact same deal at Maroone Honda in Hollywood. No other dealer came close including those associated with Costco. The Honda dealer closest to my home told me that no way in hell they would sell me at this price.

Thanks for posting this!!!!!!!!!!
  • meltronmeltron Member Posts: 5
    So, Wednesday night I got my blackberry pearl-sport-manual.

car-16,250
    doc fees-50
    ttl-1,015

Since I do a TON of driving, I went ahead and got the 6 year/120k mile warranty for 1,165.

I recommend Jim Mcnatt Honda in Denton!!!!!! I did a ton of visiting to ALL honda dealerships around dfw and they were by far the best!
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Ended up at Maroone when I got my Civic in 2006. Lowest price in the area also and I went through the internet salesman. Hate going to their dinky service department but got the 5k, 10k & 15k services, so I've still got to go back one more time. Looked at the Fit also at the time but it felt so small compared to the Civic that I checked it off my short list. Still very happy with my Civic.
    Also wondered about their inventory since their store is on such a small piece of property.

The Sandman :)
  • feddupfeddup Member Posts: 11
    Good choice on the BBP pearl paint. stellar color!!! Owned mine for about a month! In the future you might check out the online price of extended warranties. The eight year/120,000 BTB warranty which my dealer wanted $1800 for could be had online for $790 (their price $735). This is where they make their cash! The same companies that sell accessories at decent prices (collegehills and bernardi) sell extended warranties at decent prices too! Supposedly if you live California or Florida there are special laws/rules governing extended warranty purchases but for the rest of the nation online is the way to save money.
  • ellenocellenoc Member Posts: 25
    This forum has been very helpful to me in making a new car decision. Hope adding my experience helps someone else.

When the transmission went big time on my 10-year-old 170,000-mile Subaru Impreza, I rented a car while researching a new car. Since I believe a car should last more than 200,000 miles I wasn't willing to consider another Subaru and I suspect the redesigned Impreza wouldn't suit anyway. I show my large dog and need a small car, good mileage, with a back floor that goes down flat and has enough room for the dog and all my show equipment.

So I made a list of likely models and drove a Fit as my first test drive. As I told a friend afterwards, I thought I'd fallen in love. But I went on to dutifully check out the other models on my list. None matched my memory of that first test drive in a Fit. So I went to the dealership I knew would sell me the car for a flat price (MSRP) with no added fees and no hassle. They had only one MT Fit Sport. Silver, the color I wanted. When I drove that car I was so disappointed. It didn't match my memory of the first Fit test drive at all. I just didn't like the feel of the way it shifted, rode, etc. At first I put it down to liking the first Fit I drove so much just because it was the first new car I'd driven in a long time.

Resigned myself to more research of more models, maybe more expensive ones. But kept thinking about it and in the end gave in to the urge and went back to the first dealership (where I knew I'd have to go through the negotiation hassle) and asked to drive the Fit I'd first test driven again. They still had that Silver Fit Sport, but right next to it was a Blackberry Pearl MT Fit Sport and on impulse I asked to drive it instead. And once again I was in love. So on 11/19/07 I bought that car and paid $200 more for it than the one that I didn't like, but am so taken with this car I just don't care:

$15,700 price for car
    399 "delivery and handling"
    821.05 sales tax
    7.20 temporary license tag

$16,927.25 total

My concerns in this purchase (other than the always present one of will this be one of the good ones or a lemon) were: (1) the paint because of posts from people who had paint just come off when they first washed the car. Mine seems to be okay there as I washed and waxed it after the first week without problem and have washed it again since. (2) MPG as there seem to be a lot of posts from people who are getting much worse mpg than they should. Also evidently not going to be a problem with this car as the first fill up I did yielded 35.8 mpg. This was about half highway and half around town errand driving. Some of the highway was stop and go during rush hour and a lot of it was at speeds in excess of 75 mph. Colorado speed limits tend to be 75 on highways outside of metro areas and IMO it's dangerous to do less than the speed limit on these roads. I used the cruise control at 80 when I could. RPM was about 3800 at 80-82. (3) Power. Maybe my standards are low. I find this car positively perky and have no complaints about around town or highway driving. Yesterday I was on the highway for hours on a day windy enough the radio mention a truck rollover caused by high winds. I could certainly feel the wind pushing at the car and had to pay attention, but never felt worry that I'd be pushed out of my lane, etc.

Unlike others, the lack of a dead pedal doesn't bother me. In fact, when I first read those complaints I didn't know what they were referring to. Finally figured out it was the annoying lump next to the pedals in the Impreza that I never used. Also don't have any yen for a center arm rest. The rental car had that and it just made me feel hemmed in.

Cost of insurance was a pleasant surprise. It's going to cost me only about $40 a year more to insure this car new than it did the 10-year-old Subaru. I expected to pay double for insurance on a new car.

All in all after the first thousand miles I'm still in love with this adorable "microvan" that absolutely su
  • kaydenskaydens Member Posts: 47
    Does anyone know why the MPG on the same car would differ to that large a degree?
    I have a FIT sport AT and only got 28 on all high way driving. I know AT is slightly less efficient than MT, and the sports is less efficient than the base, so the sport AT is actually the least gas efficient of the 4. I, like many others who has bought the FIT is totally in love with it. But the only two things that bother me a little are: the truth about MPG (is there any truth in that you have to "break a car in" and that fuel efficiency will gradually get better?) and the fact that my magic seat doesn't seem to fold completely flat. I need to push the back of the front seat down REAL HARD to get it to squeeze in and even doing that it doesn't FIT appropriately as it should.
    any word on these two issues would be really appreciated!
    congrats! the love for FIT is a widely shared sentiment
  • ellenocellenoc Member Posts: 25
    I don't have any answer to your mpg question, although I don't think there is any difference between the Base and Sport in gas efficiency. Postings on mpg vary so widely it's hard to understand, even taking individual differences into account. My salesman (and the manual) said that break in was simply driving the first 600 miles without aggressive acceleration. I tried to make sure the tach never went over 4000 for those first 600 miles, although I know I slipped and let it go to 4500 a couple of times. I've seen posts saying mpg improves once the car has been driven a while. Guess I'll get to see if that's true with mine.

As to the seats, did your salesman show you how to move the front seats all the way forward before tucking the magic seats down? If that's what you're doing and the back seats don't fold in completely easily, I'd take the car back and have the service people look at it and make sure something doesn't need adjusting.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Make sure the 2nd row seat is in the reclined position before trying to fold down the front seat. Reclining the 2nd row moves its seat bottom back by just a little that makes the front seat fold neatly in place.
    Thanks! That worked!!
    should've read the manual first, DUH!
    still ticked about fuel efficiency though.
    I drove my best-behaving tank on all highway, stayed only within 2-2300 rpm at between 55-60 mph, and still ended up with only 30 mpg....
    is anyone having the same problem?
    I keep on hearing about how people are getting close to 40 mpg on the highway, and that makes me starting to believe that there's something wrong with my fit!
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    i get 40mpg driving on the highway at 65mph on cruise easily in my sport auto.
    yeh I know.. I've heard that's what people are getting... I am really hoping it's because my FIT is brand-spankin'-new and it's just the cold winter we are having up here in New York. There's is a nother discussion board that talks about the high MPG variance of the FIT where some are getting the good ones that will do well over 38 mpg on the highway, and some are only getting somewhere around 25 mpg on the highway. I realize that person driving styles plays a big role in that, but I am a very careful driver... =( I guess we'll see...
  • countrymomcountrymom Member Posts: 14
    We get really poor mpg.. if we're lucky 26... don't know what we are doing wrong.
    Everyone thinks we get great mpg. We bought our FIT a few months after we bought our Pilot because of gas. We never would have bought the FIT if we had known how poor the mpg would be. Very disapointed.
    mimi :(
  • absconfusedabsconfused Member Posts: 73
    I get around 27 mpg...i was surprised..people do think we get good mpg's! Then, you get blamed for the way you drive with poor mpg but i have tried driving every which way to increase the mpg's...oh well.... :cry:
    I am getting only 21 MPG in all city driving!!! HELP! I know it's New York Winter and New York City Traffic, but 21MPG???!!!
    I have a brand-spankin' New 2008 Sports AT at just over 800 miles... only getting 21 MPG in 95% city and only getting 30MPG on 100% Highway....
    do I have a lemon??!!
  • mjheremjhere Member Posts: 4
    Thought I'd add my buying experience here since I enjoyed reading others before I made my purchase.

Dealership was having "Penny over Invoice" sale (or so they say) and this was the lowest price I found after contacting 6 other dealers. No trade. No financing.

2008 Honda Fit Sport - Auto (Blackberry Pearl)
    $16,123 Invoice
    71 wheel locks
    1134 7% tax
    7.50 tire fee
    254 reg/title fee
    97 doc fee
    $17,686 out-the-door

I hope this info is helpful to someone shopping for a Fit! I am loving my little purple mom-mobile! ;)
  • handcrafthandcraft Member Posts: 11
    2008 Honda Fit Sport Automatic (Tidewater Blue) purchased at Jim McNatt. All standard equipment except for wheel locks (not sure how much they actually charged for that).

$16,972.97 Vehicle Cost (so $900 over the MSRP, which I unfortunately didn't see until after we bought the car--long story)
    $50 Doc Fee
    $1060.81 Sales Tax
    $37.17 Dealer Inventory Tax
    $2000 Extended Service Contract (7 yr or 120K mile)
    $59.80 Registration Fee
    $33 Title Fee
    $23.75 Vehicle Inspect Fee
    $11.50 Road/Bridge Fee
    $1 Other Official Fee

$20250 OTD or, if you don't count the overpriced extended warranty, $18250 OTD

First, let me say that you should never buy a vehicle when you're sick. Yeah, that should be a no-brainer. Also, I should have done more research. I checked Consumer Reports online, and read everything there, but I didn't find any forums until today (the day after I bought the car). My bad.

They wanted $18916.53 OTD when I first got there. I told them I knew this was the car my wife wanted, which probably wasn't a good move. They told me they couldn't budge on the price. I also had a 95 Saturn that qualified for the $3k AirCheckTexas trade-in, so I wanted to wait until Monday to make sure AirCheckTexas still had money in the funds for the use of my voucher. Anyway, it's a very long story that I would put behind a cut if I knew how to do one on this forum, but I bought the car that day and agreed on $18,250 (and didn't use my $3k voucher since it was a Sat and late and they said there was no way to see if there was any money left in the AirCheckTexas fund and probably there wasn't). I was very sick at the end of the day, and just wanted to get things over with. I had enough money to put down cash, but they convinced me to invest my money and take out a loan with them at 2.9% for 36 mo. Okay, made some sense. They asked about extended warranty, and I said I'd like to do that later. Went in to sign papers, and the lady doing the paperwork handed me a 7 yr/120K mile extended warranty agreement to sign. I told her I didn't want to get an extended warranty until later, after I had shopped around. She said I had to buy the warranty then and there or I couldn't get the Honda Care new car warranty and that if my car was in a wreck, that voided my manufacturer's warranty, so I wouldn't have a warranty and I'd be stuck with costly repairs on the Honda. Being sick and running a high temp, I said okay, not realizing I was in a Car Dealership (not exactly a place with the customer's best interest in mind). So I took the warranty. The next day after much rest, I read through the paperwork I didn't read when I signed it, and I found I didn't need to purchase the Honda Care warranty then and there. I compared the Honda Care warranty prices online, and found the same warranty at www.hondawarrantyinfo.com (Bernardi Honda) for $805. So I guess tomorrow I'm going to go cancel my Honda Care warranty since I have 60 days to do so, and if I can, I'll get the warranty from Bernardi Honda. If I can't, well, I just won't have an extended warranty. Today I also found the sticker for the car in the pack of materials in the glove box. That's where I found the car was originally at John Eagle Honda of Dallas (which might explain the 270 miles on the car that I didn't notice until today). Also, we only received one key, which seemed strange. Don't they usually give you two keys with a new vehicle? Like I said, never buy a car when you're very sick. I started out the day just going to get donuts for the kids, then I had issues with the tires on my Contour, so I bought new tires, then I was told that I had serious issues with the car (which I knew and had been putting off), so I thought I'd get a dependable car for the family. And then I bought a car. So 1. do your research 2. go in good health 3. bring a spouse or someone who can check your sanity and temperature 4. shop around 5. not sure, but certainly there is a fifth thing to keep in mind. Good luck to all of you considering a Fit. My wife loves the car, the entire 5 miles she drove it home. :) :confuse:
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Sounds like they must have added something else to the price as MSRP for the Sport with wheel locks is $16,759. May have been advertising fees. I definitely would recommend going to the rate your dealer section on Edmund's to post your experience. link title
    Hi. Thanks for the recommendation about rating the dealer. I didn't know that feature existed (but I'm rather new on Edmund's).

I called and asked what features were added, and the sales manager said I got the Pro Pack, which was wheel locks and splash guards and that they also put on pinstriping. I went outside and looked at the car, and it didn't have splash guards, nor pinstriping. So I called and talked to the fellow who sold me the car, and he said they tinted the windows and put on wheel locks, so I guess the extra was for the window tint since the windows are tinted.

I'm okay with the deal, I just wish the car didn't already have 270 miles on it. I saw the trip meter of 42 miles and thought that was the mileage, but when I looked at the car today (and at the paperwork that they had me hastily sign), I see the mileage at 270. I'm just worried about that 600 mile break-in period and how the car might have been driven during various test drives by a younger demographic. Here's to hoping that older folks like me and my wife drove it and they were careful not to floor it or slam on the brakes.

Thanks again!
    If any of you get pressured into buying the Honda Care when you purchase your car, I found out today from Honda Care that you can cancel within the first 30 days and once the cancellation goes through, you can purchase the Honda Care again from another dealer. At the dealership, I paid $2k for 7yr/120k mi, but Bernardi Honda has the same deal for $805. Keep in mind that this 7yr/120k mile kicks in after your original manufacturer's warranty, so really you're getting 4 yr/84k after your original 3 yr/36k, and you're getting 2 yr/60k mile or so on your powertrain. Since my wife puts on a lot of miles, the $805 might be worth the extra 60k miles coverage on the powertrain. But it's a Honda, so the odds are it won't need anything related to the powertrain until after about 200k miles (or so I hope). :D
    I called to cancel the Honda Care, and the lady in financing told me that the manager had made a mistake and 2.9% wasn't available on the 2008, only the 2007. She asked if I'd like to pay cash for the car or finance at a higher rate or lease the vehicle. I went in, handed them the key, and I guess I'll see where we go from here. Was something of a let down, but at least I have a chance to see if I still can use the $3k voucher for the AirCheckTexas Repair and Replacement Assistance Program. If I can, then everything might have worked out for the best. If I can't, well . . . something else will present itself.

So if any of you folks in DFW are looking for a Tidewater Blue Fit Sport, there's still one available. :D
    I am kinda glad for you that it worked out the way it did for you. sure it's a bit of a letdown that you have to give the car back. But like you say, now you might be able to use your voucher, and hopefully find a less slimy dealership and get a car with less than 20 miles on it!! and you did get to drive it for a couple of days for nothing!

Best of luck in shopping!
  • asherayasheray Member Posts: 1
    I am wondering if anybody out there has any advice on practicality and safety issues for a family of 4 looking to buy a FIT???I have a 5 yr old son and newborn baby so looking for some input on whether FIT is fit for a family......I am getting a deal for $15,950 +T/L
    I have a family of 3, wife and I and a 1 year old. We switched from the Grand Caravan to the FIT and we are LOVING IT! We've had the car for a month and we have no complain at all. We are planning a second child and don't foresee any problem fitting two kids in the back seat and their strollers in the trunk. if you do get it though, make sure you buy two seat protectors for underneath your kids' car seats. I made the mistake of not installing that first before putting in the car seat and now one of the backseat has a little indentation from the carseat =((

but I say go for it!
    Yeah, I think it's best the way it turned out. I would like to get a Fit that hasn't been redlined several times. Last night the salesman told me the Fit didn't have a break in period and that the Fit had already been redlined, driven hard, etc. I pointed out that the manual specified a 600 mile break in where the RPMs weren't supposed to be high, and the salesman dismissed it, saying that he hadn't had a customer yet with a problem with a Fit. Given that the Fit was introduced to the US market in 2007, that didn't quite reassure me. I was more interested in the ill effects a "bad" break in period had on the longevity of the car (and on gas mileage, etc). I didn't think two years was long enough to tell that.

Well, here's to hoping I find another and am able to use the voucher. Thanks for the luck. I'm hoping this time I'll have a bit of experience and research to go along with the luck. Cheers, T :)
    Actually, even though the FIT has only been introduced to the US market last year, it has been around everywhere else in the world for the past 5, 6 years. 2008 is the last generation of the current FIT, so I am pretty sure they've gotten out as much of the initial bugs as possible. However, I totally understand and agree that after your buying experience there, don't believe a word these people are telling you. And DEFINITELY don't go back there when you are ready to buy!

Definitely stick to the manual, I don't think any car salesperson would know a Honda car better than the Honda engineers...

anyway, best of luck, again!
  • macsanmacsan Member Posts: 27
    Hi, I'm thinking about the Fit also, I 've driven a Versa, Scion XB, XD, Civic,Sonata and an Elantra. So far its between an Elantra AT and the Fit Sport AT. I've wanted to try the Matrix but didn't have a chance to yet.
    Can you give me your reasons for deciding on the Fit. Right now I drive a PT Cruiser, and a Chrysler T&C EX, (family car) I have 3kids 2- six yoa, and one 4yoa.I wonder if it is too small to carry 5 on short 100mile vists (Nana's home)? The Elantra isn't that much bigger.
    Are all the kids still in their car seats? I am assuming not, since I can't picture 3 car seats fit in the back of a PT Cruiser. If you are only putting one car seat in the back (or none) then you guy will FIT just fine. But don't take my word for it. Definitely go give it a test drive and bring everyone and all their car seats too! (I brought my sons and the dealer had no problem letting us install it to see how it fits) Factors that made me chose the FIT over the others are:
    1) I am a big believer in the Consumer Reports ratings. FIT is their "Best Buy" in its class.
    2) 2008 FIT is the very last generation of the current FIT, which means most of the bugs should have been improved through the years.
    3) The magic seat. My wife loves it that when the three of us (plus our one year old) go on long trips, she can sit in the back and stretch her legs out. (I am not sure if we're in traffic violations doing that, but oh well)
    4) While the versa has nicer interior finish, it just didn't have any character when I test drove it.
    5) it's a HONDA - which means standard safety features!
    hope this helps and happy shopping!
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    If you can wait, there will be an all-new Fit for 2009. The new model was released in Japan in October, and is slated to arrive on the North American shores probably by the spring, maybe early summer. The new Fit has more room and a tad bit more power (although heavier as well).

I personally like the Versa a lot, and if you use the rear seat with a child seat, you may appreciate the extra room that the Versa has back there. It does not get as high a mileage as the Fit, and also has had somewhat of a spotty reliability record in its first year. In general, though, I tend to regard the Versa highly for my kind of driving.
  • datumjdatumj Member Posts: 6
    22 pounds is a meager weight gain for a car. The U.S. will be a little bit more heavier due to the different safety regulations for the front bumper but even then it shouldn't be a significant weight gain. One thing that really turned me off from the Versa is that the rear seats do not fold flat, which I think is crucial for a small hatchback to have. If it did, I think the Versa would have definitely been the better choice for me as their CVT is rated as having the same city/hwy mileage as the Fit Sport AT which is great for a more spacious car.

From what the rumors say (Autoblog, Edmunds, Car and Driver, etc), the new Fit is scheduled for a mid to late 2008 release.....but I would take that rumor with a grain of salt. I don't believe anything, in regards to release dates, until there is an official press release from Honda.
  • wheelmanwheelman Member Posts: 52
    The question: Does your family fit in a Fit? Only way to answer that question is take the family to the local Honda dealer and put all of them in a Fit. Two other questions: In the next few years, how big will your sons and daughters grow physically ? And how responsive (acceleration, maneuverability and passing) will the Fit with the "full load" of your family and baggage? Off the line the Fit is not a fast car. Add another several hundred pounds of people and stuff...??? For sure, a realistic test drive which includes entering expressway ramps, driving up hills and passing slower vehicles is in order.

"Drive like your life depends on it."

The WheelMan
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    FWIW, when I put my name on my local dealer's wait list for the 2009 Fit (I was the first to do so), they told me it would not arrive until fall 2008, rather than spring or summer.
    Well, if you've been following my saga, you'll be glad to know I have a Honda Fit again, and this one is a keeper.

Although the internet Bankston guy said they had 2 light blue Fits, the dealership did not, and the internet rep wasn't there when we arrived, which annoyed me at first, but at least he gave me prices before we arrived, so I had something to bargain with.

All of the Fits had been pinstriped, which I really don't like, and certainly didn't want to pay $299 for. I told my very nice sales fellow about this, and he was able to have the $299 dropped--actually, he was able to keep the $299 but get me tinted windows for free. So my dealer add ons were a tacky pinstripe and what I'm hoping will be nice window tinting (I take the Fit back next week for the tinting).

I had a $3k voucher from AirTexas (thanks much, State of Texas) for my 95 Saturn with 175k on it and which I just sunk $2k into only to find my transmission was going out and I had three broken engine mounts (but I was still driving it and planned to keep driving, so the program did take a polluting car off the streets).

Here's what I paid for a silver 2008 Honda Fit Sport Automatic with a pinstripe and tinted windows:

Vehicle: $16501 (so $16202 without the tint)
    TTL: $1058.39

My tax was lower because I had the $3k trade-in on the voucher car.

So I drove away with a new Fit for $14559.39, which is a great deal in my book.

And the car only had 3 miles on it when I bought it tonight. They still hadn't taken the protective plastic off the seats or the protective coating off the hood and roof (they did before we left, of course).

Bankston didn't offer as many sodas (none, in fact) as Jim McNatt, and the salesman wasn't super slick, but Bankston had a great deal and the salesman was very honest and understanding and didn't try to "sell" me anything. He didn't make much of a commission, but I'd certainly go back to him when I buy another (and more expensive) Honda that has more commission-room for him.

Thanks to everyone on this forum and to Edmunds for great information that helped me make an informed purchase.

Cheers, T

PS For those families looking to buy a Fit, we have two children who are both in car seats. One of them is 1 and the other is 3. They fit fine for now, but they are closer to our seats, so I notice them a bit more--which can be good and bad. I had a lot of coffee before the drive home, so I was on edge and the crying seemed 1000 times louder than normal. But I was also able to talk to the kids without yelling, which was nice, and I was able to easily hear them. The plan is when the kids are older, we will buy another Honda--one a bit larger--and either keep this Fit as a commuter car or use the Fit as a trade-in. Good luck to all of you still in the throws of making a decision about the Fit!
    Thanks again for wishing us luck. We went to another dealership and ended up with a silver 2008 Fit Sport Automatic with tinted windows and a pinstripe (and only 3 miles on it) for $14559.39. Very happy that first deal didn't go through. I really liked the tidewater blue, but the silver is nice too. Cheers! :)
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    FWIW, when I put my name on my local dealer's wait list for the 2009 Fit (I was the first to do so), they told me it would not arrive until fall 2008, rather than spring or summer.

Thanks. Maybe that dealership has the most up to date release information. Sounds like summer at the earliest at this point, and possibly later.
  • mjheremjhere Member Posts: 4
    For those families looking to buy a Fit, we have two children who are both in car seats. One of them is 1 and the other is 3. They fit fine for now, but they are closer to our seats, so I notice them a bit more--which can be good and bad. I had a lot of coffee before the drive home, so I was on edge and the crying seemed 1000 times louder than normal. But I was also able to talk to the kids without yelling, which was nice, and I was able to easily hear them.

That is the exact opposite of my experience. Isn't that strange? I previously drove a 1999 Saturn SL2 (now hubby's car), and my daughter is much further away from me in my new Fit. I used to be able to pass things back and forth to her in the Saturn but now I can not reach her from the front seat. That is so weird that we have completely opposite experiences with the same basic cars. :confuse:
    That is interesting that are experiences were opposite. I will say that I drove our Ford Contour the most, so my perception of them being closer in the Fit might be relative to the Contour vs the Saturn. In the Saturn, we had 3 bad engine mounts, so it was a rather loud car, so maybe that drowned out the sound of the kids crying a bit. Our Saturn was loud; the Fit is louder than the Contour (in terms of road noise), but not nearly as loud as the Saturn. Since we only had the one trip home from the dealership (we haven't gotten insurance on the Fit yet, and our insurance on the other cars was only liability, so I didn't want to chance driving the Fit and having a wreck with only liability)---umm, as I was saying, we only drove the Fit home with the kids, so I didn't try handing them toys or sippy cups or anything, so perhaps physically they are farther back. I'll know more this week. For certain, the kids in their carseats are closer than they are in the Contour though. And maybe with the Saturn they were as close or closer but I just couldn't hear them as well. Also, I think maybe the fit of the Fit's front seat and where it is positioned might make passing things back and forth more difficult (or at least different than the Saturn). Our 95 Saturn sat very low to the ground, and I always felt like I had to stoop down to get in or to get the kids out. I find getting the kids in and out of the Fit (the one time I actually put them in and took them out) easier than the Saturn. Thanks much for sharing your experience. I'll see in the next few weeks what I'm up against as far as handing things to the kids and trying to pick up items they've dropped, etc. Cheers. :)
  • danlongdanlong Member Posts: 11
    For those researching price... I finally bought the an 2008 Fit Auto Base (1.5 months ago) the price I paid was:

$14,900 selling price including destination
    $600 dealer fee
    -------
    $15,500 + TTT

It is interesting to note that the dealer would not budge on the "dealer fee" -- instead they lowered the selling price by about $400. I could of saved $100 more if I had driven to a dealer about 60 miles away but my wife was pregnant at the time and we didn't want to risk a back of the car baby delivery.

There was a $200 difference between their price and mine (lowest price I got by email from another dealer), I wanted to split the difference at $100. It's funny, but we had to do the "I am walking out of here" before they would agree.

Good Luck!

-d

P.S. This was in Central Florida (Courtesy Honda, which is an AutoNation company). The whole experience wasn't great but it wasn't as bad as some other dealers. The good experience was they didn't try to sell me anything extra and the "checkout" was very fast (30 minutes for the paper work and about 10 minutes to sign everything). It still took an hour+ to get to the selling price.
  • pilsnerpilsner Member Posts: 8
    I bought a Fit Sport with manual trans. on 12/27 at Honda of Oakland. Paid $15.5 K including destination charge and before tax and title. Paid by check, no financing. I accepted their lowball of 500 for a beat-up 96 Camry so I might not have gotten that price without the trade-in. The fact that the sales people didn't haggle at all worries me a bit now... but I am fine with the price. I wasn't looking to try the "they want to make their quota at year-end so the price will be low" angle; I was just fed up with the Camry and was ready for a new car.

One thing I have to say about them, though. There was a $55 "document prep" fee that the finance guy tacked onto the bill and that I foolishly didn't notice until I got home. Nice sleight of hand on his part -- I caught a similar scam a year ago but missed this entirely. Maybe it was because I was stuck standing around for an hour waiting to sign everything off and had gotten drowsy. Maybe it was the hypnotic powers of his mile-wide necktie....

Even though I should have caught it, it's pretty cheesy. It's like leaving your briefcase in his office and finding that he stole cash out of your wallet. It's not enough to get me to put a stop payment on the check, although I considered it. It is enough to be aggravating as hell. They definitely alienated a potential service customer for $55; I will not be doing any business with Honda of Oakland unless it is warranty work, in which case I will happily be a pain in their [non-permissible content removed]. If anyone needs to be reminded, look carefully before you sign, no matter how much they talk or otherwise try to distract you. I was in a hurry and that is a mistake when dealing with a scuzzy car dealer.

Second gripe is that the TPMS monitor light was on from the moment I got into it. The salesman said it just needed to be driven for a few miles, and that if it didn't turn off to just bring it in and they would fix in a few minutes by re-setting the computer. Well it didn't go off, so this AM (2 days later) I call the service department and they said to just bring it in and they would fix it. When I arrived however they said I would have to leave it until Monday. Only after griping a bit on the phone did I get a service person to tell me to make sure the tire pressure was right. I checked, they were all at 38, so I dropped to 34 all around and the light cleared. I'm glad there wasn't a real problem because I would be without my brand new car after only two days.....

On the upside though, I feel like I got a decent price and I definitely like driving the car. I just would not trust the people at Honda of Oakland for a moment.
  • kolonyakolonya Member Posts: 6
    Put down a deposit today on a Manual Transmission Fit Sport, fresh off the truck.

$15605 plus tax and dmv fees ($300 off MSRP). I hope this is a good price....

Located in NY
    out of curiosity, are you in/around the new york metro area?
    I keep on wanting to find someone to compare MPG who drives around NYC.
  • kolonyakolonya Member Posts: 6
    No... I live upstate...
  • dagreldagrel Member Posts: 2
    How does the fit handle and ride with the Nokian WR tires? Am considering the same tire.
  • brian81brian81 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a silver Fit sport w/AT in Bethesda, MD.

Price: $15595 + $635 dest. = $16,230 (MSRP: $16070+$635 dest.).
    Tax: 6% = 979.80
    Docs/Processing = $100 (maximum in MD by law)
    TTL = $210
    OTD price = $17519.80

Included: wheel locks as part of "dealer appearance package".

Advice:
    1) Use Edmonds.com to get quotes from local dealers (as many as possible).
    2) Print out the quotes from the dealers who actually send you a quote with the price in it.
    3) Go online to online websites of dealers from 2) and check inventory to make sure they have the color/trim you are looking for.
    4) Choose dealer with best selection and go test drive vehicle (ask for the internet sales person -- the one who sent you the quote!) Bring quotes with you!!!
    5) Show salesperson all of your quotes. Tell him to match your lowest one. When he says his dealer has added a special XYZ package tell him you'll accept your second lowest price quote to account for package XYZ (roll eyes when doing so).
    6) Say no to paint, alarm, etc... (The sport trim comes with an alarm system already installed and it even includes a red blinking light to make you feel better. You don't need anything more unless that's just your thing).
    7) Bring a copy of capital one's latest Blank Check rates and tell finance guy he must beat it to get your business (must have good credit score of course).
    8) Say NO to extended warranty. He will try and tell you he can only sell it to you only at the time of sale but you can buy the honda care warranty anytime before the car has $6k miles on it. Get an online quote. Best rates I found currently was $899 for 8yr. 120k option w/ $0 deductible. Better yet, invest that $900 and have a down-payment for your next car when your fit doesn't break down.

9) Last but not least: If you are not trading in. Drive your current vehicle to dealership BY YOURSELF. Negotiate price, financing, etc... as above. If happy, sign the paperwork but DO NOT TAKE DELIVERY OF THE VEHICLE. Tell your saleman you must drive your vehicle home and you will be back in the morning to take delivery (he will resist because the deal is not complete until you take delivery). He will even offer to drive your new vehicle to you but tell him whatever you have to and just wait one more night for your Fit. Why? Now you can go home with all your paperwork and have the whole night to make sure you are not getting screwed! I had originally taken the 8 yr. 120k extended warranty for $1580 but after a few minutes of research I found the $900 price. Next morning BEFORE taking delivery of the vehicle I told them I was declining the warranty, they took it off (with some grumbling) and then I drove the car off the lot feeling good. (BTW, you have 60 days to cancel the warranty if you already purchased one).

10) check out collegehillshonda.com for accessories (much cheaper than dealership). In fact, print out the prices on collegehillshonda.com before going to the dealership so you know exactly how much you should pay for those floor mats, wheel locks, etc...

11) Enjoy your new fit!
    Very sage advice, especially the part about not taking the Fit home that day. When I purchased my first Fit, I bought the HondaCare for more than twice what it would cost online, and the Fit already had 300 miles on it from being test driven at the dealership, etc., and I was talked into taking it home that night although I drove by myself in a car I wasn't trading in.

I was lucky, and the dealership made a huge mistake by giving me 2.9% financing (or something ridiculously low) on a 2008 Fit, which Honda wasn't offering, so the dealership tore up the contract, and I drove the Fit back to the dealership and happily gave them the keys, did my research on Edmunds and then bought a Fit elsewhere for several thousand less and paid cash for it. Cheers!
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    Great advice.
    Had a question on the Honda Care and the fact that you can return it within the 60 days past purchase. Do you know if they would still sell you one on line if you returned the one bought from the dealer at higher price? Better yet, do you think the dealer may refund the difference if you showed them the online quote not to lose a sale? Just wondering since a friend of mine over paid for her TL Honda Care at a dealer. Thanks.
  • sethwomansethwoman Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I just bought my Fit sport Auto yesterday and I live in the Bronx. I don't do a lot of driving but when I notice the MPG, I'll let you know. What MPG are you getting in the city?