Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    you take them in ever 5K miles and have them serviced by the dealer, they 'll last for at least 100K miles, if not 200K.

I think it's better to say for the Fit to get it serviced based on it's maintenance minder, and you don't need to take it to a dealer for every oil change/tire rotation, which is the main service you need to do.
  • scottc3scottc3 Member Posts: 137
    Guys, Out the Door, means the final price, including all taxes, license, fees, ... Also statements like $15,600 OUT THE DOOR tell us nothing. Is this a sport model, the base model, have floor mats? any other extras, like extended warranty.

We need to be specific if this form is going to help anyone.

Yesterday I put a downpayment on a Sport FIT, auto, at $16,200 which included the $635 doc fee. The total OUT THE DOOR was $17,773.04. This is about $15,900 for the car alone. This morning I went to another local dealer, told them I wanted to buy a FIT 'right now", I had done my research and I'd give them $16,000 (which included the $635 dest charge).. they told me, $16,200 after the salesman spoke with the 'man' - I was talking to the "internet sales' guy, not a person on the lot. When I got the same price, and they didn not stop me when I walked out, I assume the $16,200 is a good price at this point for this car.

Good luck to you all.

Scott
  • davethecarnutdavethecarnut Member Posts: 248
    No DOC fees!!! pure junk fees.. get the final price then pay sales tax and registration fees only( includes title).

The LO-Jack doesn;t reduce your insurance premiums in California. Save your money....or else put it on your 71 Hemi Cuda convertible...
  • scottc3scottc3 Member Posts: 137
    As mentioned davethecarnut, not getting LoJack. Decided to take your advice and get the 71 Hemi,.. (not!).

sc
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    In some areas some sort of documentation fee is very hard if not impossible to negotiate away. There is a set doc fee in some states, which is not much, around $50-75. But in some states, there is no set doc fee so dealers are free to charge as much as they want for it. That adds to their profit so should be negotiable. Or if not, just something to consider in the overall price of the car.

For example, if one dealer is offering the Fit at $15,000 plus $399 doc fee, and another is offering the same car at $15,400 plus a $50 doc fee, which is the better deal? (Also consider you will pay additional tax on the extra $400, but not on the $399 doc fee.)
  • kj898kj898 Member Posts: 2
    Guys, Out the Door, means the final price, including all taxes, license, fees, ... Also statements like $15,600 OUT THE DOOR tell us nothing. Is this a sport model, the base model, have floor mats? any other extras, like extended warranty.

Let's see, I posted:

"2008 Fit Sport MT"

My understanding is that this means 2008 (year) Fit (model) Sport (trim) MT (manual transmission).

Also posted:

"15,600 out-the-door"

$15,600 out the door wasn't meant to "tell us nothing," but rather to say that this is what I paid including all taxes and fees. I didn't mention any extras because I declined all options and additional warranties. The price before all the taxes, fees, etc, was $14,420 ("for the car alone," to use your terminology). This was the best price I was able to get on the Internet, and I got it from two different dealers.

Sorry if I wasn't clear the first time.

The car was purchased in Maryland.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    It's a Honda. My Toyota 4Runner has 350K on it, and it's a nearly identical 4 cylinder engine, technology-wise(yes, it's an old model - heh). So the drivetrain is nearly bulletproof. Actually, simpler as mine is 4x4. The Fit is a simple FWD design.

$1200 buys two clutch jobs, and that's about all that's going to fail that's important to the working of the car. You son... he can fix his own window regulators or a/c vents an other minor stuff that breaks on most every car when the time does finally come for minor repairs. But, with the Fit, there's not much *to* break in the first place. I'd op for neither option and enjoy the savings.
  • gevans17gevans17 Member Posts: 27
    Document fees are total [non-permissible content removed]. One Honda dealer said he could not waive his $400 document fee. I told him I wanted to meet his $400/hour secretary. Went to a different Honda dealer and paid $50 bucks for documentation.
    So the $50 doc fee you paid was not total b.s., right?

Thanks for illustrating my point with your real-world example.
  • vbnsmanvbnsman Member Posts: 15
    The best quotes I have gotten in the Hou TX area are:

17400 OTD 2008 FIT Sport auto

15200 OTD 2008 FIT Sport manual

Has anybody in the area gotten better? I am especially interested in the auto.
    If I could get in the low to mid 16000s I would buy today. :shades:
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Here they run about $500.00 more the last time I checked so price doesn't sound too bad.
  • davethecarnutdavethecarnut Member Posts: 248
    Hmm...ok, backy, I guess it is a state to state thing...Are they saying DOC fees are part of the registration purpose? Or are dealers up front in saying that they are a profit "cushion"? But gevans has the right attitude. It's a free market. Capitalism works two ways. The Buyer and the Seller have to come to an agreement. It ain't all about the Seller. But some dealers like to think so. In California, they try to do the DOC thing and they sometimes try to do the "advertising fee" thing. It's laughable. Just remember three things: purchase price, sales tax and registration.
    There is some "documentation" work to do on a new car. But some dealers charge more than is necessary to cover their costs for the work, if it is allowed by law (see below). So then it adds to their profits.

I consider advertising fees part of the cost of doing business. If a dealer wants to add on a special fee for "advertising", that's fine with me, but it all goes into the mill for calculating their bottom-line price.

And that is what it's all about for me. What is the dealer's best price, before license/title fees (which will be the same in a given state for a given car, no matter who the seller is) and sales tax (which is a set percentage for a given area, but will vary with sales price)? I really don't care how they go about figuring out what their best price is. They can toss in big documentation fees or advertising fees or whatever they want into it. But that's the number I'll compare to other offers from other dealers.

P.S. I don't have to play the documentation fee game where I live, in MN, because it's a set fee, built into new car contract documents. The last time I bought a new car, four years ago, the doc fee was $50.
    I mostly agree with backy. Before I bought a 2008 Fit Sport AT, I had several sales offers from different Honda dealers. My experience was, if they choose, dealers can adjust the car price and fees in order to meet the final price (drive off) offer. I saw this several times when they would write up a contract at a higher price, tear it up and come back with a contract to meet a lower offer.
  • lozroycelozroyce Member Posts: 4
    my wife & I are trying to get a new fit, and just found out about the voucher how long does the process take and how difficult is it to recieve the voucher for air texas..thanks any information would be very helpful
  • lozroycelozroyce Member Posts: 4
    i did go to it and have filled out the application. But was wanting to talk to someone that has gone through the process..I need to get a new car asap..
    thanks,
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    I just purchased my 08 Fit Sport (Milano Red)....what a pleasant expirience it was....I am in NJ....the price I got from DCH Paramus Honda was unbeatable...other said it could be done but DCH did...
    Honda Fit Sport 5AT sticker was $16,705 (including dest of $635). This is the price of the car alone...I got it for $16,000.00...(including $635 destination). Nobody around could or would do that number.

Then I got taxes (in NJ 7%) plus in NJ you pay $1.50 x 4 for tire disposal..I know the car is new but that is how the state makes more money....dealer doc fee was $199.00 (reasonable considering others want up to $400) and then registration for $ years $232.00 ( another NJ trick to get their hands on more money quickly).
    I am getting Honda's mats and cargo cover over the internet for almost 50% off the dealer's price.
    All in all I am satified with the selling process,which was done over emails..
  • scotty99scotty99 Member Posts: 9
    I did a bit better than that. Black on black 5AT Sport for $15,623, including destination. The full order:

Price (incl. dest): $15,623
    Tax: $1093
    Tire fee: $7.50
    Doc: $289

Total: $17,247

Planet Honda in Union, NJ. If you're going to shop there, PM me, I'll share the referral cash with you.
    Thanks for the offer but I just got mine (red) Thrsday....and you DID much better than I...(don't be shy about it...lol) mine was $16000 including destination of $635...and yours was $15623...that is over $300 less...congrats you did great....Honda dealers have the habit of quoting prices without including the dest fee ($635)..and I found that invoice price on the Sport (including dest fee) is $15448..when I was quoted at all 3 Bergen county delaers they quoted a price without the dest fee which one has to add to that figure..all the cars that I previously bought through the years (Fords, Toyotas etc) the price and the negotiations as well, always included the dest fee...(after all that is how the MSRP sticker reads with a total at the end and the price that one negotiates on),so you actually got the car for about $175 above their invoice (full price including dest)...and I actually paid about $475 above invoice.(also including dest)...you did really well....here in Bergen county none of the 2 other dealers would come even close to my figures at DCH HOnda in Paramus and to be honest I did not feel like traveling out of the county,so all in all I did fairly well and lets not forget that the FIT is still a hot selling car and only a few dealers have decent selections and quatities...and you did VERY well!!!.
    I paid $17240 OTD on a 5AT Sport in SW Hou TX. About $40 more for the vehicle than svofan2. But I did get Lifetime oil changes as long as I own the car. :P
    ...you did well also... I guess the next time I buy a Honfda I will have to go to the great state of Texas...you are the second person that did this well...good luck...I guess after driving this little beast for 2 days we got a hot number in our hands for the money that we are paying,specially when you compare the Fit to the competition...
  • cargo1cargo1 Member Posts: 9
    Anybody here has bought the Fit through a dealer in Costco car buying program and can share the price and experience? Thanks.
  • wgewge Member Posts: 16
    After giving up on trying to buy a Prius, I got a base FIT with the manual transmission for $14,325 including destination charges. Final out the door was $15,186 with a trade on a '90 Caravan with 150 k miles which was valued at about $635. The FIT was over $10,000 less than what I could have gotten a Prius for and I calculated the price differential would take about 35 years to make up based on our annual mileage and the Prius vs. FIT fuel mileage. Interior room and utility is much better with the FIT and it is certainly much more fun to drive than the Prius. First tank of gas yielded about 39 mpg. The folks at the Toyota place were not straightforward; the Honda folks were direct and honest. Plus, I think I'll be able to work on this thing whereas it would have been a question with the Prius.
  • scotty99scotty99 Member Posts: 9
    So, some additional developments:

The offer I had originally for a Fit Sport 5AT (15,623 including dest, excl. taxes/fees) was for a vehicle still in transit - not yet at the dealer. I sold my old car faster than I thought, and brought my buy order to another dealer who had a purple sport 5AT on the lot. Over the phone, they said they could match it...in person, the manager couldn't...said his price paid, including holdback, was 15,800 and showed me the actual invoice showing costs and holdback. He offered 3 free oil changes (worth about $120). That was close enough for me, plus that dealer has loaner cars and the original dealer did not.

So, I purchased the car and drove it home. Total cash price, including taxes and fees, was $17,176.07. wouldn't budge on doc fee of $269 (lower than $289 at first dealer)...and I really liked the purple...
  • olawrencianolawrencian Member Posts: 1
    I tried the Costco program, but the Honda dealer is quoting MSRP. This is in Frisco, TX. Out-the-door is 17,900 for a Fit Sport with Auto. Apparently they can only sell with an add-on called EPP or something that retails for 599 which he is giving for "free". After reading through the prices people are paying here, I'm going to decline his generous *sarcasm* offer.
    ...you are right...I believe that the CSCO thing is a gimmick...besides others in TX have much better...good luck...
  • rioredcobrarioredcobra Member Posts: 1
    vbnsman what dealer in Houston?
  • fitisgofitisgo Member Posts: 40
    I have bought 2 new 08 Fit Sport 5AT cars in last 4 months. Both time I tried both the Costco & Sam's Club car buying programs (online) and got the response that there was not a Honda dealer in the Omaha, NE area that participates (there are 3 Honda dealers in this area). So depending on where you live, it seems there may or may not be participating dealers. I did not let this deter me. On a vehicle with an MSRP incl freight of $16,705, I paid $16,323 ($200 over invoice) for the first one at Williamson Honda in Lincoln, NE (50 miles away) and $16,167 ($43 over invoice) on the second at O'Daniel Honda in Omaha.
  • sabrosahindleysabrosahindley Member Posts: 3
    fitisgo-
    I am currently researching the purchase of a 2008 Fit Automatic base model. I have sent emails out to five dealers in Nebraska. Not sure if I missed any. Here is where I've sent them:
    Williamson Honda in Lincoln
    O'Daniel Honda in Omaha
    Superior Honda in Omaha
    Cornhusker Toyota & Honda in Grand Island
    Bellevue Honda

Any other info you can give me about their prices/fees would be extremely helpful for comparison/bargaining purposes.
    Thanks,
    Danielle
  • fitisgofitisgo Member Posts: 40
    One more Honda dealer to consider: Congdon Honda in South Sioux City - about 100 miles north of Omaha/Bellevue in I-29.

Documentation fees (as best as I can remember):

Honda Cars of Bellevue, $199; O'Daniel Honda in Omaha, $0; Superior Honda in Omaha, $35-40; Williamson Honda in Lincoln, $0; Congdon Honda, don't remember; Cornhusker Honda, don't know-didn't contact them.

If you choose to buy a Base Fit instead of a Sport, be aware the Base does not come with cruise control, and adding it afterward could either be expensive for the Honda part or you might get a crappy cruise control from an after-market store. If you look at the Fit brochure at all the equipment/features you get on the Sport for $1200-1300 more than the Base, I think it's worth it. If you don't need cruise control, then maybe the Base model is OK for you.

The best price I've been quoted on the Sport Automatic, which has a MSRP of $16,705, is $16,133, which is the published/widely known "dealer invoice" price. Another thing to remember is that there is a credit the dealer gets from the factory when they sell the vehicle, called the holdback, that is equal to 3% of the MSRP of the vehicle (about $500 on the Sport Automatic, probably $450 on the Base Automatic). So even if you get the car at Invoice (which is not easy to do, but can be done), the dealer and the salesperson still make a little $.

Find out the Invoice price for the Base Automatic (you can get this at Edmunds.com), then try to negotiate a price in the range of Invoice to Invoice + about $200, and you'll get a good deal. Also, if you buy from a dealer with no documentation fee, that's more $ saved.
  • roeroiicaroeroiica Member Posts: 2
    $14,465, Base AT.

I got the floormats from autoanything.com. When I first got them I realized it was just cut from a large sheet of that rubber, but they really do fit well and look good and protect my floor. I was without floor mats for a week or two and that wasn't a good idea.

I just love this car :D
  • roeroiicaroeroiica Member Posts: 2
    To make a note: This was in Davis, CA. If you're anywhere in the central valley, another place with a good price is Stockton Honda, they gave me a price (over the internet) of about $14,565 for the same model.
  • sabrosahindleysabrosahindley Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for all the very helpful info! I will let you know what becomes of it. I've had cars without cruise and haven't missed it too much. Rarely use it in the car I have now. I did notice that most people buy the sport so I'm wondering if I should just fork over the extra cash for all the extra ammenities.

Thanks again for the quick reply!
    ..Sabrosa...(I like that name...)....why get a lower model for the sake of saving just $1200?....by getting the Sport with all the bells and whitles not only will you enjoy better but at trade in or selling time it will be worth more (private or otherwise) and you will have more of an interest in the vehicle...just my 2 cents.....( I hope you know what sabrosa stands for...lol...lol...)
  • girkabobgirkabob Member Posts: 1
    Last week I bought a new 08 Vivid Blue Pearl Fit Sport AT. My check to the dealer was for $16,491. This included the car, pinstriping (they wanted to charge me $99 initially for it) and dealer fee of $159. This doesn't include taxes, title, license, and temp. tag fees. I bought it at Dave Mungenast St. Louis Honda in South St. Louis County.

Their first offer to me was for $16,505 so I didn't talk them down much, but they refused to go much lower. I may have been able to talk them down a bit more, but the dealership is 25 miles from my home and I didn't want to keep leaving and coming back during the haggling process!

Other dealers in the area either quoted me sticker or the $16,505 ($200 off sticker). One dealership, Ed Napleton Honda, gave me an initial quote of $16,413 and told me that was $100 more than they pay for the car (since they have advertising fees etc.). I probably could have gotten it a little cheaper there if I talked to them more, but that dealership is much further from me and I didn't think it was worth it to have my dealer 45 miles away.
  • sparklzk27sparklzk27 Member Posts: 1
    That is the same color and trim level that I am looking to buy :) Has anyone bought a 08 Fit in NY (the Buffalo/ Rochester area)? Also, the dealership in my area that I looked at didn't have the color that I want, is it possible for them to order it or find it at another dealer? Thanks for any help.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a large daily newspaper who either just bought or traded-in their smaller vehicle (Nissan Versa, Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, Toyota Corolla, etc.). If this is you, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Friday, April 18, 2008.
  • hara78hara78 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

my wife and me paid for a Honda Fit Base 2008 MT in Tidewater Blue OTD $15,800 just 3 weeks ago. And I mean OTD = including all fees and taxes. I wonder if we made a good deal. The dealer was Spirit Honda in Los Angeles.
    Just got some floormats and remote keyless entry system at Bernardi Parts for ~$190 total - works perfect. That is about $16,000 for all the convenience we need.
  • wgewge Member Posts: 16
    Two weeks ago I also bought a Tidewater Blue 2008 MT with an OTD price of $15,175, but this included a trade for a '90 Dodge Caravan with 150K miles for which they gave me around $650, which I felt was fair. So, we are within $25 or thereabouts. I should have held out for a Fit service manual to sweeten the deal! I didn't think they would be so high. Got it from Trickett Honda in Nashville. We've been tickled pink with it but unfortunately my wife gets to drive it most of the time.
  • wabkywabky Member Posts: 2
    Just bought Honda Fit Sport Auto transmission for $15981 Total (I did not buy the floormats or any :) other stuff the dealer wanted to sell) I will buy internet fit floormats for about $88.

Dealer was Boch Honda, good selection of Fits.. a few dealers I checked did not have any. Note that I called and maid the deal which was for cash, I brought a bank check with me for the full price.
  • zombietom3zombietom3 Member Posts: 74
    I'd like to add my voice to the move to exclude destination charges, taxes and registration fees from reported prices paid. ALL that matters in order to compare one regional deal with another regional deal is the model, any extras, the vehicle price before dest charge, and the dealer add-on/document fee/whatever they want to call it surcharge. I get no information at all when someone tells me his total cost. I just care that a certain model can be had for a certain price before all the predictable and controlled additional costs.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Its usually agreed that OTD is not very descriptive. Taxes can vary from 100 to 1500 on this vehicle depending on state. If one keeps a list of the sales tax rates for each state one can decipher it. A 15000 price paid with a 700 dealer fee is basically a 15600 or so price paid.

Its been said many times it would be better to post price paid sans title and taxes, or itemize the purchase. OTH people really don't have to post their info here either so one takes what one gets or gets them to elaborate.
    I just received this fresh quote from a dealer in Vallejo CA, about 20 minutes away:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding the beautiful 2008 Honda Fit. I have the Storm Silver 2008 Sport Fit with the 5 speed automatic that you desire in stock and available for immediate purchase. It arrived yesterday from the factory.

Your exclusive Avery Greene Internet Department price for the Sport Fit model will be will be $16,122.84 plus all applicable tax, license and documentation fees. This price includes $635 Honda destination and all dealer handling charges".

It looks to me like they are quoting right at Invoice and I wouldn't expect to do better unless Honda sales slow down and they start giving incentives..
    You are right at invoice.....but you can try to go down maybe a $100...I did and it came out to $16k here in NJ,maybe in Ca is different, but hey what do you have to loose,right?...good luck the FIT is amazingly good...enjoy it
    Thanks. I don't really want to squeeze the last $100 out of the deal and I'd be very pleased buying at Invoice.. I'd rather have the dealer remember that it was an ok deal when I come back needing service or there is a warranty issue or ....I don't begrudge them making a little off me. I don't give away what I do for a living either.

The truth is I'm not quite ready to make the move, but will be in some months. I know things might change by then, but wanted to know first hand what kind of deal is out there. The second response I received to my request for quote was MSRP and I won't be replying to that offer. The last response (I sent three RFQ's) is not here yet.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I guess I'm curious...if you aren't going to be buying for "some months" why are you shopping now?

I get this a lot and I never understand why people do this. The market is constantly changing due to supply and demand. As the summer months approach, demand will increase and prices will probably reflect this.

The California market must be much worse than I thought. Even at MSRP, the profit margin on Fits is nothing.

We can't keep them in stock and they are usually pre-sold a month or more before they arrive.

Amazing how markets can vary!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter would like to talk with recent buyers of the Honda Fit, Ford Focus, the Smart car and other subcompacts. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience no later than Tuesday, April 29, 2008.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• hondalibrarianhondalibrarian Member Posts: 5
    I am considering a 2008 Fit Sport MT. There is just one Honda dealer in my city (though a few others within 75-100 miles). When I called the local place to inquire about a test drive, the salesman said they don't have any on the lot because the car is in such demand (true; they rarely show any in their website inventory, and when one does show up it is gone within a day or two). I have not yet asked for a quote.

I can reserve an incoming one with a deposit, which is refundable if I decide not to buy once I drive it. My question is this: am I going to wind up paying what the dealer wants me to pay because of the demand situation, or is it worth the effort to negotiate and solicit quotes from other dealers?

If we're talking about a difference of $100-$200, it isn't really worth the time and stress to me to try to squeeze a relatively small amount of money out of the deal. I just hate to feel that I have naively plopped down a significantly larger amount of money than I needed to.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    The time to talk price is before you give them a deposit. Given everything you've related, they will want MSRP.

If you want to pay less, you will have to introduce some competition to the equation. Of course, you'll have to balance that out against the convenience of buying from your local dealer.

The difference between the best deals and MSRP are only about $500-$700, so watching out for excessive fees and add-ons will likely save you more money than trying to find the absolute bottom deal.

Good luck!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator