Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• kwingkwing Member Posts: 5
    $16,800 OTD? What was the price of the vehicle before tax and licensing fees?
  • klisselklissel Member Posts: 10
    The price before tax and tags was $15,709. With tax and tags 16,824.
    This is a copy and paste from my original posting.... shouldn't be too confusing.

2008 New Automatic Honda Fit Sport

Sales Price - $15,709

Tax (6% - PA) and tags and all fees $1,115

No Trade in - N/A

Out the door 16,824
  • xanmaster44xanmaster44 Member Posts: 2
    I just find it confusing because you got a fit sport for 1000 under MSRP when fit's are pretty tough to find!
    good work though, I wish I could do the same.
    The dealer I bought from sells the most hondas in the state, so they get money back from honda on every sale per month. He did say it was a great deal and the only reason I got it is because the sales manager approved it. He also said that they are going to start selling them a little above invoice in the coming months because of the hot demand.
  • fitisgofitisgo Member Posts: 40
    You did indeed get a really good deal. The generally accepted dealer invoice price on this car is $16123. Dealers also get a 3% holdback/refund from Honda when they sell a car, which would be $501 on this model, taking the dealer actual cost down to $15,622. If you paid only $15,709, the dealer made less than $100 on the vehicle you bought, and if you factor in their other costs, the dealer lost money or, at best, broke even.

In the last 6 months I have bought 3 new 08 Honda Fit Sport Automatics for myself, my wife, and my son, and the prices I paid were (before tax/license) $16,322, $16,187, and $16,123.

I think you will see many Honda dealers charging MSRP (and getting it) of $16705 for this car as demand continues to increase (along with the price of gas).
  • watsacwatsac Member Posts: 49
    To readers who are located in the Baltimore area, the Northwest Honda dealership in Owings Mills, MD just received a shipment of Honda Fits and, as of 2:30pm today, 4 of them were still available. I'm posting this because that is where I bought my Honda Fit and had a pleasant experience. As a frequent contributor to this Forum, I thought others would want to know when and where Honda Fits are available.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Hoping for a big discount on a car with a miniscule markup that is in high demand and short supply will only cause you stress and frustration.

The MARKET will always determine pricing.
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    ...well said!!!!! ....some of us do not understand how the business works...we are all part time buyers who deal with full time sales people,we are always at a disadvantage....best advise is to get informed very well so when a fair or good deal comes our ways we don't throw it away thinking that we can do better...in the FIT Sport AT invoice is $16k and sticker (including dest) is $16,735, I got mine in April and paid $16k and consider that I did well...good luck to all
    We are the largest volume Honda dealer in nine states and we sure don't "get money back"

At 4-500 dollars, when sold at MSRP, they are already a little above invoice!

At 1000.00 below invoice, they lost a lot of money.

Did you have a trade in?
    I had no trade in. They wouldn't of sold the car if they lost money. The dealer told me that they get money back for making so many sales. That's what he told me.

Why would any dealer sell the car if they were going to lose money? Especially, if the car is easy to sell right now.
  • nichevonichevo Member Posts: 3
    Picked up my Fit about three hours ago, it was a fun ride home although it will take some getting used to, (I was driving a Ford Ranger.) I lurked here for a bit reading and learning so, thanks to all of you for the information you provided.
    Congratulations on your purchase.

I am replacing a 1997 Ford Ranger as well. We are having a child and my wife wanted me to get a car that we can both drive with a car seat in. We decided to keep the Ranger as a third vehicle and not trade it in.

Here is the good news. By driving the honda fit everyday to and from work plus running errands as long as we put 12,000 miles on it a year, we will save over $500 in gas money compared to the 3.0 liter V6 Ranger. That $500 is enough money to pay for the ranger as a third car on our insurance policy. So basically moving from 2 to 3 vehicles is not costing us any extra money with the Fit's gas savings accounted for.
    "Why would any dealer sell the car if they were going to lose money?

You tell me. I have no idea.

Selling a car that is in high demand and short supply at a loss makes no sense whatever.
  • mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    I am going to have to agree with isell. I just "booked out" a used 2007 Fit Sport A/T with 12K on it here in edmunds. According to edmunds, this car used sells for $16609.00! KBB has the same used car at $17815.00 (wow!) and NADA has the car at $16275.00. So between the three most trusted valuation sites the average price for a USED Fit Sport A/T is $16899.00 - which is MORE then MSRP for a brand new one!

I'll give you a real world story however. In Febuaray of 2007 I sold a Honda Fit Sport A/T to a friend of mine. He drove it up until April of this year. In that time he put about 15000 miles on it. He advertised the car on carsoup and sold it in 24 hours for $300.00 MORE then what he paid for it. He hated to sell it but Northwest Airlines transfered him to Japan.

To address the other thing, the national advertised invoice is $16158.00 with $321.40 in total hold back (HTP+1%). Here in Minneapolis the mark-up for a Fit Sport A/T is $382.00 (thanks to our $200.00 co-op advertising fee for the six metro dealers) + $321.40. So the actual cost of a Fit Sport A/T is $15836.60 ($16036.60 in the twin cities).

So if you buy at MSRP or invoice you're getting an awesome deal and if you dont like the car you can always sell it and at the very least break even on it!
  • tronmechtronmech Member Posts: 1
    I bought a Honda Fit from Atamian Honda on the 19th. Let me tell you about our experience.

Before sale:
    + Came straight out and said that they can't keep Automatics on the lot, so don't expect haggling. OK, MSRP is pretty decent -- 16,705 for the fit sport. $17,943 once you add in the tax and doc fees.
    + When we said that our credit union could give us 3.5% APR on a 36 month loan, while they only had 5% APR, they bought their rate down to 3.99% and gave us $75 cash -- which is difference in the interest we would pay if we went with 3.5% from the credit union.
    + Didn't try to sell us stuff we didn't want or need (paint "protection", extended warranties, etc.) at least partially because we said up front that we didn't want them.

After Sale:
    - The only way I found out that my delivery date was when *I* called *them.*
    - The sales rep simply didn't want to talk to me when I called to check the status of the car.
    - They could not or would not explain why -- when the car has been sitting just 50 miles away for *4* days -- it hadn't arrived yet.
    - They would not "take ownership" of the delivery process, expecting everyone to just sit and wait for their car.

My personal favorite is this. I got a call from the sales rep today to explain why the car was still in the rail yard in East Brookfield, MA. He tried to tell me that the transportation coordinator told him that "the car comes in to the US in Portland, OR, and the floods in the Midwest have slowed down deliveries." This would normally fly, except that the car has been in Massachusetts SINCE BEFORE MONDAY. If you want to feed me a bunch of BS, at least try to make it Plausible BS. Don't insult my intelligence.
  • igloomasterigloomaster Member Posts: 249
    Both come with A/C, which is great. I'm leaning toward the base model Fit, as I don't really need all extras the Sport comes with (though they are nifty.) However, does anybody know if the base model comes with that cargo cover thing in the back? I can't find this info anywhere on the net. The dealer only had the Sport on the lot when I was there buying a Civic last month.
    The base model does not come with the cargo cover, also it does not have floor mats included. :(
    Sports don't come with floor mats either.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    The floor mats and cargo cover are optional on both Base and Sport.
  • wgewge Member Posts: 16
    We bought our first Fit three months ago. It is a Tidewater Blue base 5-speed manual. We paid, excluding taxes, title, etc., $14,385, $200 below MSRP. It included mud guards in the price. My wife and I just purchased a second Fit, a Milano Red base 5-speed manual with no accessories from a different dealership for $14,585 which was MSRP at the time we put down a deposit a month ago. The dealership where we got our first Fit wanted $14,850 for another so we shopped around. We dealt with the internet sales staff for this second purchase and they did a great job in communication, keeping me informed as to VIN and progress in the car's travel from Japan to Tennessee. I see now that Edmund's lists MSRP for this car at $14,620 which is the TMV price and which appears to be due to an increase in destination charges from the previous $635 to $670 with the base price of $13,950. So, perhaps I got the second car for a little below MSRP as well. So far my experiences with both Honda dealerships have been very positive and I think I have paid fair market prices for the two Fits.
    Just wondering how much the 2009 fits will go up in price. I am guessing 2 - 3%. Does anyone know, generally speaking, what percent it will increase? :confuse:
  • fitdrivrfitdrivr Member Posts: 1
    I did a ton of research before buying my 08 Fit Sport (just tonight!) and was told the 09's would increase by 2% and should begin shipping in August. I decided not to wait because I didn't like the design changes in the 09.
  • mockingbird296mockingbird296 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone actually purchased a Fit with Costco pricing? I tried to sign up on the Costco website for this program and got a message saying that Costco doesn't do pricing for the Honda Fit. It looks like others have gotten pricing though. I'm confused.
    Some cars that are in short supply can be excluded.

With the tiny margin in a Fit, the dealers don't have much to give.
  • anony_mousanony_mous Member Posts: 4
    Recently bought an '08 Fit Sport a/t for $15,700 plus tax/tags/title/doc from Autosport Honda, Bridgewater NJ. Very pleasant, low-pressure shopping experience, from email quote to purchase. Would recommend this shop to anyone in central NJ (though they don't seem to have too many Fits coming in). Seems some below-MSRP deals are still out there to be had despite the constrained supply of Fits.
  • mockingbird296mockingbird296 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! Just found out that Sam's Club also has an auto buying program and will get a quote through them instead.
    Wow...you paid 422.00 below invoice on a car we can't keep in stock!

"they don't seem to have too many"

I would think not when they are willing to lose money on them!
    Sorry, should have noted that price excluded the $635 destination as well. Not so ridiculously low, but still a decent deal.
    Well, that makes a little more sense.

I just have to wonder why they would feel the need to do that?

Did you have a trade in?
    No trade, cash purchase. This was an email quote from earlier in the month, and then I waited for them to get one in the right color. It seems to me like Fits have been a little easier to come by in NY/NJ recently than some other parts of the country. Perhaps this just beat the current rush of gas-price-driven demand, but it doesn't seem too far out of line with earlier reports here.
  • bizybeebizybee Member Posts: 1
    I bought the Storm Silver AT Fit (basic) on Memorial Day weekend. Paid a smidge below msrp. Hated the dealership. I gave them bad ratings. My sales guy who wasn't even there for the whole transaction (he went off to meet other customers) begged me to give him a 5 star rating. He even called me 3 days later and begged again. He said he'd get a bonus. NO WAY!!! Anyway, I started to think that I made a mistake on getting the Basic instead of the Sport. But I think I'm okay now. I just bought new 14" rims ($300).. new window tint ($100)... set of 4 floor mats ($20 from pepboys) and am going to buy a keyless remote... ($100 installed).

So I feel better now and my car looks sporty!!! :-D And it's only $520 out of pocket. I could live without fog lights. (not much fog in so. calif.)... the rear spoiler... and cruise control. So all and all... I feel like I'm ahead. Plus I got the 2.9% rate from honda for 5 years. YAY!!

I just got on kbb to price out my Fit on KBB. It has 1200 miles on it so far. Checked Used Car retail value... and it's at $18,105!!!! For a Basic AT!!!! OMG!! So that really says something. Because you all know it's MSRP is aroung $14K - $15K for Basic model. COOL!!!! :-P
  • wolftownjeffwolftownjeff Member Posts: 1
    2008 sport with auto, vivid blue.

Paid msrp+ freight = 16705.

plus 160$ processing fee and tax/tags.

Was able to work it out over the phone.

I GOT THE LAST SPORT AUTO (and it was vivid blue!) WITHIN 4 DEALERS, in central Va.

Rule Honda Staution Va.

It was getting to the point where you have to order an 2009.
    "It was Vivid Blue"

So, what color is it now? ;)
  • wptinker2000wptinker2000 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a Fit Sport in late April 08 for $16200, including delivery/transportation charge (they do add a $250 documentation fee - which they are up front on), from Honda East in Cincinnatti. I negotiated via the internet with several dealerships (first time doing it that way) and found it to be very easy and way less stressful than negotiating with sales people at the dealership. After agreeing to the price with Honda East I just went to the dealership and with absolutely no hassle whatsoever I was out of there in a couple hours. I would buy from these guys again...though, would still compete their price with other dealerships. I did talk to a Honda East rep yesterday (3 July) and the demand is such that they aren't selling below MSRP at this time.
  • watsacwatsac Member Posts: 49
    6 things you should never say to a car salesman

Phil Reed, consumer advice editor at Edmunds.com

http://biz.yahoo.com/cnnm/080702/070208_dont_tell_salesman.html?.&.pf=family-hom- - e
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Great article there. Just sent it to my daughter so she can read it before we get serious with her new car purchase. She also wants to lease her 1st car, which for her might be a good choice as she only wants the econoboxes we've been looking at for a few years. She thinks that once she gets a full time job, she'll want a nicer car and since she'll be fitting the bill for that one, told her to go for it. The 1st one's on us and we have a $15k budget to work with. She really wants a Mini Cooper, but I'm not springing for that...it's a nicer car than me and the wife drive!

The Sandman :)
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Actually, her instincts are pretty correct here. A base model Mini, because it is small, frugal(gas crunch and all), and limited production - already maxed out at the ONE factory that makes them - they depreciate an actual $1K per year if you decide to sell it later privately.

Eg: 18K for a new base Mini - manual transmission(she can learn - tons of pluses here as well, plus it's nearly impossible to do distracting things like put on makeup and eat while driving stick) - It depreciates about $1K the first year(technically 2K since you are also paying tax and first time registration, much like a motorcycle has various fees new that aren't there used)

35+ mpg, cute, and holds its value well. Obviously you don't lease this car. I'd say if she can cough up the $3K for the difference, she can get a base model with maybe 1-2 small options.

Or go cheap - get her a two year old Pontiac Grand Prix for $9500 or so. It's big, safe, and gets about 25mpg combined(29-30 highway). GM vehicles are the best models used right now as they mechanically are decent but they depreciate like a rock. Let some other person eat the initial 40% depreciation. Two months is the optimal time here as the 2009 models come out and that means that the 2007 models will be two years old. 2007 was the start of GM's 100K drivetrain warranty)
  • absconfusedabsconfused Member Posts: 73
    Hey Sandman,

I am no expert and have no interest in one name plate or another, I am just a teacher...But, I will say that whatever reliability ratings I found when I was looking around last year for a car were unfavorable for the Mini Cooper. This was very upsetting to me. I would like to believe it is not true but I found enough to get me away from this very adorable car. So then, please dig deep in your research to cover your bases. I cannot remember where I looked but probably I wound up on a number of sites like discussion boards, perhaps I might have looked at consumer affairs, consumer complaints..I wish I could remember but you know when you are looking around for info you just keep searching and get lost in cyber space!

As a teacher, The Fit works for me due to being able to put all sorts of stuff in the car easily to transport and people seem to envy me but I would love more plush seats and map lights....But I do like driving a small car.

Anyhow, I will agree with your daughter for wanting a mini b/c there is nothing cuter!

later!
    sue:)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter from a large newspaper is looking to speak to consumers who traded-in a larger vehicle for a small compact car to save money on gas, but spent money on options to get something more comfortable and appealing. If you’re interested in speaking to the reporter, please contact Chintan Talati at ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than July 9, 2008.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Edmunds.com
    Corporate Communications

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• sunrise52sunrise52 Member Posts: 3
    I recently took delivery of an 08 Fit Sport manual for $15,600 including doc fee of $100, plus taxes, wheel locks for $99 and license/title fees. Drove off the lot for $16,400 and I expect some cash back, possibly $100 or more, on the license/title fees because I bought from a Maryland dealer but registered the car in another state with lower fees where I also have a home. I used Consumer Reports (we're subscribers) and Edmunds as guides in negotiating my price, and that helped.

The dealer was Criswell Honda in Germanton, Maryland. I started via the Internet and continued with the deal in person and over the phone. When he could not find a car on hand nearby in an acceptable color, the salesman reserved one of the last 08 Sport manual cars his dealership expected from the factory. It took about three and a half weeks for the Milano Red Fit Sport to arrive but I was in no hurry and didn't mind.

One other dealer was more than a thousand dollars higher and wouldn't budge, larding the price with an $873 destination charge and a $400 doc fee. All I can say is, look out for this sort of thing. The saleswoman was at least up front, admitting her boss simply adjusted the fees up as customers negotiated the price down. "We're not giving away anything on Fits and Civics right now," she said. Other dealers wouldn't come down below $16,200 before fees and taxes. And they were a bit rude to boot. The people at Criswell were polite and fair, even though they knew they had a hot product on their hands. Because of this, they got my business and probably will again.

I've driven the car 200 miles and am very pleased so far with the construction quality, roadholding, steering, braking, and economy. The ride can be a little choppy on some roads. The shift linkage is fantastic. The Fit is commendably quiet for a small, inexpensive car, and amazingly roomy. The back seat really does accommodate adults -- it's better than the Civic's. I've bought an after-market dead pedal from Zeta but haven't installed it yet. Maybe tomorrow. The gas pedal is a little close and there's nothing to be done about it. I'll need to put a pad on the seat to make the cushion more comfortable for me. That will come from AutoZone, but I'm very slim and have had to tinker with seat padding on nearly all my cars, so no big complaint there. The retaining hooks for the all-weather floor mats were a bit of a pain to install as I'd heard, but not impossible; I just did that this afternoon. I also bought an after-market center armrest with storage compartment for about $50 via eBay and installed it in five minutes flat. It's great.

Most of the driving so far has been in the city, and even with that, the car appears to be averaging more than 30 miles per gallon on its first tankful. I know it'll do even better on my first highway trip next week.
  • mechosmechos Member Posts: 2
    Price: $15,663 + $670 (Destination) + NJ Tax + $254 (DMV charges) + $199 (Documentation)

Total: $17936.81

Hope it helps someone!
  • riogreyhoundriogreyhound Member Posts: 5
    I really liked it. I went down to Goudy Honda in Alhambra. The base model was going for 17K+! Can anyone recommend a good dealer in S. CA or a way to go about getting a better price? I know they are in demand right now so I may wait.....
  • amethisteamethiste Member Posts: 28
    I got the following quote for a 2008 Fit Sport AT in BBP from Norris Honda in Dundalk, Maryland

$15,870 - vehicle
    $670 - destination
    $99 - processing
    $998.34- taxes **6% PLUS TRADE IN TAX CREDIT!!!!
    $237 - new tags, title, registration
    Total on the road price $17,874.34

I'm picking it up on Saturday. :D
  • orangebkorangebk Member Posts: 1
    I took delivery on July 11, 2008, from Pohanka Honda of Fredericksburg, Virginia...car arrived at dealership on July 10, 2008...had 3 miles on the odometer when I drove it away...my very first car (which I still own) was a 1966 Ford Mustang in Candyapple Red purchased new in 1966...finally I've come full circle back to red and I have to say it's a very attractive car...I have another auto in burgundy and it's an elegant color but it's nice to have red again for sure.

$15,951 Vehicle & Destination
    $0 Processing/Documentation Fee
    $0 Dealer's Business License Tax
    $12 Temporary Tag

$15,963 Total (This is the amount of the check that I wrote to the dealership)

The car came with wheel locks installed by the dealer and is included in the above amount...a pleasant surprise I might add...I will take care of all DMV costs myself directly at a DMV office...there was no trade-in...also no extended warranty, no tire-wheel extra warranty, no window etching, and no paint sealant add-ons...I'll take my chances...the entire deal was negotiated by email as the result of my request for dealer quotes thru honda.com.

So far the car has exceeded all my expectations...it hasn't reached 600 miles yet so it's still in "break-in" mode...I like the sport steering (it reminds me of a Mustang GT), the lack of interior noises/rattles, the ride (better than a Jeep Wrangler by a long shot and not quite up to Mercedes standards) and then there's that new car smell...have never owned a 5-speed automatic before & find it shifting up /down on our central Virginia rural roads but if it gets the rated fuel economy I really don't care...I'll experiment with the paddle shifters after the break-in period has past.

;)
  • bigelmobigelmo Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an Fit Sport AT model for $18000 OTD at Goudy Honda.
    Also, West Covina Honda in California gave me $15999 quote for the same car.
    Hope it helps
  • kagomekagome Member Posts: 1
    The forums here were so helpful when I was doing my car research that I really feel obligated to come back and share my final purchase price.

I bought a new 2008 Honda Fit, AT, base model on July 26, 2008. I live in New Jersey, and I shopped around the area Honda dealerships before ultimately buying from DCH Paramus Honda. I would recommend the dealership to anyone looking to buy a car, and not just for the pricing. Anyway, I paid:

$15,000 (vehicle + destination) + $1,050 (NJ sales tax) + $7.50 (tire tax) + $433 (registration, documentation, + dealer fees) = $16,490 OTD

I hope someone finds this information helpful.

Good luck and happy car hunting. =]
  • fit4life1fit4life1 Member Posts: 14
    I bought mine from a dealer and was forced to pay sticker price. I have bought cars before and was usually able to get them down 1000.00 or so. But this guy wouldn't budge. And based on the fact that 6 fits (their entire inventory) was sitting by the detail bay to be cleaned before their new owners picked them up, he would've just let me walk away cause someone else would've bought it.
  • igloomasterigloomaster Member Posts: 249
    Is it possible to still obtain a 2008 Fit, or are they most likely sold-out, only to be replenished with the 2009 model?
  • absconfusedabsconfused Member Posts: 73
    Inventory varies by area...they have them in stock in the Atlanta area. You can usually search the dealerhip's inventory online. I would rather wait for the 09 but that's just me. Honda has that little guy on TV saying it is time to make a deal now so in Atlanta, they might give a little off sticker, just depends on how the dealership is doing at the time you want to buy a car...