Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    Yes it finally arrived today. Cost to me was $0 as I traded in my 2008 Honda Civic Si in for it. So it was a wash. The dealer gave me an even swap. My Si had 11,700 miles on it.
    No Floor mats, nothing extra but a 2009 Fit Sport Auto, so overall I'm pleased. :D
  • ohplezzohplezz Member Posts: 74
    I'm in socal and I've been shopping for a fit for a couple of days and I was wondering what you guys from Socal thought about this offer for a new 09 fit sport manual. I've got him down to this. I'm in SD. I've heard I can get better deals in OC or LA or riverside county at Penske Honda but it is a major pain getting up there for me. This is my best offer from a SD dealer. Yea or Nay??

Selling Price 16,318.00
    Documentation fee 55.00
    CA License fee 182.00
    CA Tire fee 8.75
    CA Electronic filing fee 28.00
    CA Sales Tax (7.75%) 1268.91
    Total OTD Price $17,860.66
  • goldenmonkey76goldenmonkey76 Member Posts: 5
    My wife and I picked up the Fit yesterday. We did pay MSRP but the dealer gave us the floor mats and 3 free oil changes. The bottom line is this is the best vehicle for us and the price was reasonable to me ($18,900 O.T.D).

We put about 70 miles on it yesterday. We both took turns driving it as we did our errands. I thought it did very well in city traffic. It didn't feel underpowered at all to me. It was smooth and a pleasure to drive. It has a really comfortable driving position. We took advantage of the magic seats while shopping and we thought they were sweet. We look forward to having our Fit for years to come.

Good times..... :)
  • dhectorgdhectorg Member Posts: 25
    i think this is an excellent price on a '09 fit sport manual. this is the same model i purchased, but with armrest and floor mats for $18100 OTD. good deal!
  • timberdoodle1timberdoodle1 Member Posts: 2
    been shopping and have a quote for 15682 plus 120 doc fees plus tax for this model, includes 3 oil changes and free washes. New, less than 10 miles, tidewater blue. Could I do better?
  • 2newshoes2newshoes Member Posts: 3
    That sounds pretty good. What part of the country are you in?
  • timberdoodle1timberdoodle1 Member Posts: 2
    Erie PA dealership. Went ahead and purchased it yesterday- they said they had never sold one for this low a price, but did it because of end of month volume and having some manuals in stock and to get us as customers, We were going to buy another Scion -have a 2005 XB- and used that as leverage in dealing.
  • absconfusedabsconfused Member Posts: 73
    Shenor,

My 07 Fit is going to be totaled this week. can you tell me how much they gave you for it?

One person posted on fit freaks that he got a check for more than 19,000!!! I am praying to get enough to cover a new FIT so I am eager to hear about your experience,

thanks!
    :(
    I am trying to catch up with the 09 Fit Sport MSRP and I found a couple of places that noted the MSRP to be 16,060 and with dest. charge 16730 but everyone seems to be saying MSRP is 17500...I am a bit confused about all this and I am wondering why I am finding this type of discrepancy....

Both prices are for the automatic sport...

my fit might be totaled this week it is an 07....

thanks! :confuse:
  • Sbu_01Sbu_01 Member Posts: 1
    I also live in SoCal, to be specific I live in SD. I purchased my vehicle from dch honda of lemon grove, I felt very happy with the deal I got, seeing as its my first car purchase from a dealer. This is a 2009 Honda Fit base model (Manual Transmission)

Selling Price: 15083.05
    Documentation Fee: 55.00
    Sales Tax :1173.20
    License Fee: 98.00
    Registration/transfer/titling fee: 82.00
    CA Tire Fees: 8.75
    Total OTD Price: 16500

Dont Give up and keep negotiating.

P.S. The lowest estimate I recieved was at Pacific Honda in Clairemont for 16300.00 OTD. Strangley enough they didnt have my car they had "sold it just last night" ;)
  • fithappyfithappy Member Posts: 5
    $16,060 is for manual transmission without destination charge. auto transmission with destination charge is $17,580 MSRP. You can find the details at : http://automobiles.honda.com/fit/
  • djsg143djsg143 Member Posts: 20
    BUT got beat up a bit by the F&I guy and need to go back tomorrow for round 2:

Basically I started at $17085 for a Storm Silver Metallic Fit Sport, even threw in the center console and they brought it to a Price of $18677

OK So I put a combined $3300 down on the car and get a rate of 7.99% and end up with payments of $336 for 72 months....I was hoping for under $300...

When asked about the Honda Care, I stated "no, thank you, my insurance with Geico offers what you would in your economy plan"...he said I would have to pay for the plan and since they were closing, I signed.

What I did not realize until this morning over coffee and documents is that the $336 payment offered to me at the very beginning of negotiations already included $1865 for Honda Care....had I paid more attention I probably would have been at that $300 payment I so desired....
    :mad:

So gang here is my question to those of you experienced (since this is my first new car):

Can I cancel the Honda Care and redo the payment sheets to reflect a lower financed amount?

if not what are my options at this point....I don't want to end up paying interest on a product I never wanted to begin with and a product they hid in the numbers to sell to me.

I am going tomorrow and expect some games/resistance... can you give me any adivce?

OH and to give a big heads up THE DEALERSHIP was Metro Honda in Jersey City, NJ, Route 440...not sure who the F&I guy was...Salesperson was as good as can be expected....
    unfortunately, you've been had, but it's your own fault. i used to sell cars and the best advice i can give to consumers is...

1) know EXACTLY what you want BEFORE you go shopping. this is easy enough to do with sites like edmunds out there.

2) know EXACTLY what the car should cost BEFORE you go shopping (again, use sites like edmunds to help you)

3) have a backbone...and don't be talked into anything you don't need or want! the burden is on YOU to make sure you're treated fairly.

the fact is, most people just aren't comfortable being forceful and direct with car salespeople, so they walk in at a disadvantage. you need to go back and tell them that you never intended to buy any add-ons and that they must make it right and redo the loan. don't be afraid to be forceful...and don't take no for an answer. ask to deal directly with the dealership manager, if necessary. good luck!
  • mistermagoo78mistermagoo78 Member Posts: 1
    I feel your pain. My wife hates the car buying process because I do lots of research and don't mind holding my own and even walking out if the terms don't fit MY needs. Couple of weeks ago I paid $644 for a 6 year 100,000 mile Honda Care Extended warranty on a Honda Pilot zero deductable. Night before last I paid $795 for the same plan on a Honda Fit. Both were good deals, but at different dealers.. Research will tell you that these plans are usually a waste of money, esp. on Honda's. (I just like the peace of mind.) I had made up other ground with my over valued trade on the Fit, and held my ground on the Pilot until magically a lower interest rate was available as a favor to me. (A scam, but I played along 'til the paperwork was signed. I have since COMPLAINED to the General Manager about their tactics. (The interest rate was finally down to what I knew I qualified for.) I got a couple of free oil changes out of my complaints.

I don't know the time limits on undoing contracts, you might could use that. You could certainly cancel the policy and get a refund. (I got nearly $200 from the policy I had on the '05 Civic I traded for the Fit. Civic had 78,000 of the 100,000 mile policy.
    And the F&I guy went into it with me that:

1) The cancellation might adversely affect my rate since I am a tier 2 (720 credit score) customer and at his discretion he lowered my rate with the purchase of a 1950 Honda care warranty...

2) I would not be able to buy this exact same plane further down the road and the coverage would not be as good.

I was almost swayed but held my ground because times are tough and paying 7.99% on 2k over 5 years for a product I may never use didn't seem right.

He said fine, I filled out my section of the cancellation request, he said he would put it in for me in the afternoon, told me that if they cancelled the $2k would go against the principal and that it may affect the rate/payment and he would call me to let me know

is this last part true??? I was expecting the total financed amount to lower (from $19k to 17) and the monthly payment to lower as a result. Also are there any other tricks they may have up their sleeves I should be worried about? :confuse: ....I thank both posts earlier and hope that someone can continue to provide advice.
  • taximom5taximom5 Member Posts: 43
    Last I heard, by federal law, you have THREE DAYS to cancel the whole deal.

Which is exactly what I would do if I were you. Bring the car back, tell them you want your money back--and they have to take the car and give you your money back..

Tell them why, too--tell them that it is because they were dishonest. Tell them that you will give Honda a documented letter explaining how disgusted you are with this dealership.

And then LEAVE and don't ever go back. Try another dealership. Heck, try a different car.

At this time of year, they WANT to sell, and it should be no trouble in this economy to find a car.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Sorry to hear about what happened and felt the same kind of pressure 3 weeks ago when buying our daughters 1st car...they pushed us to buy everything in the closing room but we stuck to our guns and declined everything...politely. Felt a change in his attitude after that but hey, I'll never see this F&I guy again. Unless we buy the Elantra for our other daughter.
    When I bought my Civic back in '06, that guy was really high pressure and pushed the extended warranty. He got kinda flustered when I mentioned the supposed quality that Honda's are supposed to have so why buy the warranty. Also in Florida, we can't buy a warranty online so we get hosed on the price. So far, car's been great except for some warranty issues which have been taken care of very professionally.
    Good luck and hope it all works out!

The Sandman :)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    There is no 3 day right of recission on car deals..

But, they can't change your rate based on whether you purchase an extended warranty, or not.. Actually, if they want to change your rate, that would be your opportunity to refuse to sign another contract and return the car.

Since you just signed the contract yesterday, they should be willing to re-write it, without the warranty. But, if they won't, he is correct, the warranty amount will be sent to the bank, and that will shorten your term, but not change your payment. That's because you financed the warranty.

You were right to go back and cancel the warranty.. the price was outrageous. You can buy the same warranty on-line for much less, and you have up to 6 months and 6000 miles to do so, before the price goes up.

Sounds like a sleazy place to do business..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• beach57beach57 Member Posts: 1
    I contacted several local dealers two weeks ago to inquire about pricing on the 09 Fit with Navi. All said they are selling at MSRP and would not go any lower. Two weeks later, four dealers are now willing to sell at invoice price and actually have numerous cars sitting on their lots that are unsold. I live in the Baltimore-Washington area of MD. I assume this is due to the slowdown in car sales. Anyone else buying at invoice price now?
  • fitisgofitisgo Member Posts: 40
    The Omaha, NE, area has 3 Honda dealers. The 2008 models all sold out and there was a real shortage for a couple months, when the 2009s arrived. When the 09s first showed up, they were selling at MSRP and the dealers couldn't keep them in stock. Now that the national economic crisies has arrived, sales are way down, inventories on the lots are way up (cars that used to be sold before they rolled off the delivery truck are now sitting for days/weeks), and, I suspect, prices are back down to Invoice, which is about what I paid for my 08 Sport automatics in Dec 2007, Mar 2008, and Jun 2008. If you are a cash buyer (no financing or your own independent financing) with no trade, you are in a very good position to get a new 09 Fit for a great price.
    the update:

The F&I guy called late last night to tell me the "good news" that I could cancel the warranty and not affect the rate.

just like you mentioned , the monthly payment will stay the same, a fact I confirmed with Honda care over the phone.

However when I called Honda, they had no record of my vin...perhaps it is to soon so I will wait till monday to see.

The F&I guy did request that I bring in 2 pay stubs and 4 references which makes no sense to me to ask for 2 days after the sale and a signed contract....what is his possible angle here? I will also wait till monday to give this to him so I can run it by you all and others to see if there is some possible harm in giving him this.

i admit it was a shady place to do business and if i could do it again i would at the dealership my uncle got his 09 from....you live and you learn i guess.

now I am wondering what to do about the center console.....I ordered it and the price and installation is part of the financed amount....stupid I know, but I really wanted the center console...but its been a few days and I still haven't gotten a call about it....can and should I cancel it, have the amount refunded and order one online?
    there is no 3 day return guarantee, but your rate CANNOT be changed! whatever rate your credit score qualifies you for is your rate, regardless of price or add-ons. as another poster suggested, if they persist on adjusting your rate up, you can cancel the entire deal...because that is fraud.
    this will work out for you, as long as you hold your own! do your thing!
    I am just giving my two cents here but it sounds like the guy did not do his job if he did not have your pay stubs prior to closing this deal! Heck, I would go in and tell them you want a refund! I once returned a Toyota....cars can be returned. It is not easy and I am not saying it can be done often or easily, but if you focus on something, frequently you can make it happen.

You just need to find the the angle of what the injustice was and stay on it until you feel like you cannot fight anymore...I am now wondering if they had some computer program showing fake credit scores! I would look into this angle. I know credit scores can vary from the three agencies but still, did they tell you which agency they used? You could check with that agency (just pay for the report, it will be worth it) and find out what your score was that day. Who knows? You could crack open a huge case of them misleading the public with artificially deflated credit scores...there are so many games that can be tried out by a dishonest dealership. I do not believe most are dishonest, but the few dirty ones can be very dirty.

This whole deal smells funny. It's not the price you paid that's the problem b/c we all learn from our experience....it is everything...the credit score discrepency, the throwing in of the warranty in a deceptive manner, etc etc..And you can cancel the armrest since they have not called you...Years ago I did that with lojack...it's nuts, they take your money and it takes months to get the stuff!! Unreal!

People say I am a bulldog b/c when someone wrongs me, I sacrafice a lot of my time, energy, and sanity to seek justice either by phone calls, letter writing, or small claims court. I have been known to sit in law libraries for days...This transaction is weighing on you and I think you need to look closely at each issue and work on it...The more you uncover, the better your case will be for returning the car but if you find that they lied about your credit, you would have them big time!

Well, good luck and just remember that at the end of the day, the extra money you spent over the amount you would have liked to spend is not earth changing or life changing and it is valuable experience for the next deal. I am soooo much different now than I was years ago on my first car. It's very hard to find your voice in a dealership, which is why it is best to find a dealership who will agree to terms before you walk in....they want to sell cars, they can at least firm up a deal before you come...something that everyone can live with. This approach works but not with every dealership but you find one that it works with and you promise yourself you will walk right out if they try and change the terms...

Anyway, take care, good luck, and seek justice if you have been wronged in any way. :mad:
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    This old rumor keeps coming up.

As the others have said there is no 3 day right of recession on cars.

This applies to solicited sales such a door to door vacuum cleaner sales or a time share. Not cars,
    I never said that there WAS a three day right of rescission on cars. I am saying that I have indeed returned a car in the past! People can choose to attempt to assert themselves and try to seek justice where there is injustice.

And, in some states, you cannot even buy a car on the spot because there is a waiting period to allow people to change their minds so things to vary from state to state but that is really not the point here, I am just mentioning it.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    And there are some dealers that have a stated return policy, e.g. one dealer group in my area has a five-day, 500 miles, no-questions-asked, 100% return policy on their cars. I think as the car market tightens further, we might see more of that kind of thing as dealers try to differentiate themselves.
  • taximom5taximom5 Member Posts: 43
    Well, either the law has changed since 2007, or the 3-day thing is only the law in PA.

When we bought our Kia last year, we were told by the dealer that the law was that we would be allowed to change our minds with in 3 days (72 hours). I assumed it was federal law, but I guess it was either state or city?
    It wasn't you that said that. It was taximom.
    backy, are you sure it isn't an EXCHANGE program?

Otherwise that program would be ripe for abuse!
    Here in Atlanta there is a dealership that has a return policy like backy said...it helps you buy with confidence...I do not think most people would return their cars b/c they probably fall in love with them. As for Honda, usually prices stay fairly high so it's not like someone can go from one Honda place with a return guarantee and find a cheaper deal somewhere else...In 07 when I shopped Team Nissan in Lithia Springs GA had that deal about returning and the Team Honda place might have had it too but I just cannot remember...

Anyway, returning a car definitely varies from state to state and dealership to dealership....
    No, it is not an exchange program. As for "abuse", it would be a lot of trouble for someone to buy a car just to drive it for a few days, then return it with no real intent to buy it.
    In most cases, you would be correct but you underestimate what some people will do.
    Has your dealership ever offered a 5-day, 500 mile money-back return policy on new cars? If so, what were the results? Did you find there was a lot of abuse?
    We know better than to do something like that.

There would be a tremendous amount of abuse.
  • kolesokoleso Member Posts: 3
    > Anyone else buying at invoice price now? Do you mind to tell which dealerships offered you invoice price? I am shopping for Honda Fit Automatic, basic in the Washington metro area. Dealer claims their MSRP is $15,300 and destination charges $670. After two days of shopping, the lowest OTD offer I have now is $16,845. I am VA resident, therefore tax is 3.2%. Simple math gives (15300 + 670)*1.032 = 16481, excluding title and tags (70-100 bucks, my gestimate). So the dealer still wants $300 above the MSRP. Or they can call these $300 extra bucks "processing fee", ADM, profit, whichever. What was your experience?
    Here is my two cents and I am writing from Atlanta btw...

See how much inventory there is in the nearby dealerships so you can gauge supply and demand. If supply is up, then present an OTD offer that you think is reasonable and see if anyone takes your offer. I just got a great price an 09 FIT at a dealership but of course the majority of the dealerships do not want to budge.

You simply have to be nice, present your situation and your offer and do not get discouraged. The majority of the dealerships might not want to deal with you, especially if their supply is down but if the supply is up and/or they just want to move a few cars after christmas and before new years (which according to some experts is a good time to shop for a car) then you just need one dealer to work with you just a bit so that you can each benefit from the transaction.

Having cash/check to pay for the car is a plus in my opinion in this type of transaction....

anyway, be patient, do not give up and remember you are the one buying the car and many are not buying cars right now so it might be that you are in a good position but it's all about the local inventory. Around here, the cars are listed on cars.com so I was able to search for the FIT and see just how many there are here and I was able to track how fast they moved in and out and which dealerships got new ones b/c it showed up as a new listing...This is all good information b/c you might not want to waste your time with a low inventory dealership but you just never know. The important thing to remember is to be nice, be sincere and understand that dealerships have the right to want to make money but you just want some help in being able to afford the car....

good luck! :shades:
  • psychoticgaspsychoticgas Member Posts: 5
    Multiple dealers in Houston TX willing to sell for $200 below invoice. Just picked up a 2009 Fit Sport for $200 below. Had to haggle a bit afterwards to get a good price for my trade in but they eventually did well on that too.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    That sounds like a very good deal, was that for the automatic?
  • cpryancpryan Member Posts: 1
    I have been trying to convince several Honda dealerships in NJ to sell me a base model '09 Fit for $10,000 dollars cash. They all think I'm being absurd. Here's what I tell them to convince them that my offer is in fact very reasonable.

If you've been following the NYTimes (or any other major newspaper in this country) for the last few days, you know that all of the major car companies (all of them) just crashed into a brick wall. That wall is comprised of insanely overspent American consumers who can longer use their homes as ATM's to buy cars with, whose investment portfolios (assuming they had one) just got cut in half, who most likely owe their mortgage lenders more then their home is worth, whose job may or may not exist in a few months, and who have probably just been told by their credit card company that their credit limit is being drastically reduced. And that would describe someone in a good situation. To top it all off, the Yen will only continue to gain on the dollar as the Fed has made clear that it intends to flood the market with green backs to encourage interbank lending which is supposed to eventually help consumers somehow(?). Ergo, the Japanese companies need to sell these cars quickly to reap the greatest return. There is not a single piece of good news in this market for anyone trying to sell something like a new car, i.e. a very expensive item with a long life.

The party is truly over. The house is on fire. And, it is almost certain to burn to the ground.

If, over the last few years, you have been saving diligently, living within your means, and looking forward to the day that you had the SAVINGS (not credit) to make a large purchase, i.e. a car, this market is so insanely ripe for huge discounts it isn't even funny. Sadly, the dealers have not yet accepted this. They are clinging to the past, pathetically so. The dealers will be forced, eventually, to offer huge discounts or accept that they will not sell cars. Honda and Toyota are going to be forced to instruct their dealers to make these deals until the cars stop piling up at U.S. ports. It is all inevitable. Ah, the free market! Gotta love it when it works for you.

Hold out for a BIG discount. Think way beyond invoice. It's only a matter of time.
  • fitisgofitisgo Member Posts: 40
    You can keep trying to convince Honda dealers to sell you a new Fit for thousands less than their cost, but it is not a reasonable expectation that any dealer will agree to that, unless they can somehow turn that major loss on one car into many new (unexpected) sales of additional Fits that are seeming to accumulate on their lots right now. I bought 3 new 08 Fit Sport automatics in the last 12 months for myself, me wife, and my son. The cars were all exactly the same except for color. The MSRP was $16,705. Bought them in Dec 07, Mar 08, and Jun 08. Invoice (without dealer holdback of about $500) was $16,122. I paid $16,322, $16,187, and $16,122 for the cars (vehicle only), cash purchase, no trade or financing. When the new 08 Fits were all gone and the new 09s were just arriving, the used values of 08 Fits (on Kelley Blue Book.com) were exceeding original MSRP. I consider those to be a great value in terms of price paid in exchange for the vehicles received. So realistically expecting to walk into a Honda dealer and pay $10K for a car that may have an MSRP of $19K (top of the line fit) with a bottom line of $17-17.5 car for invoice minus holdback, leaves the dealer with a loss of at least $7K. If you are successful at doing just this, please post the details to share with the rest of us.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    While all auto manufacturers are having a harder time these days, there is a significant difference between Detroit's Big 3 and companies such as Honda. Honda, after all this, is still projecting an operational profit of US $2 billion for the fiscal year (albeit it is about 1/3 of their initial forecast). The rise of yen is still contributing and likely to contribute to the drop in profitability, but the Bank of Japan, who has thus far not intervened, is very likely to step in and start buying USD (and dumping yen) massively in the near future. This is a virtual certainty if the current currency trend holds, since BOJ did it repeatedly when JPY was near this level before.

Even Toyota, whose forecast operational loss has been widely reported, is projected to have a net profit of about half a billion dollars (US) for the fiscal year, even though that's about 1/10 of what they were forecasting in the beginning.

The Japanese manufacturers are saying that they are hurting, and I believe them. The difference is, though, that their hurt is more like a bruise while Detroit's is more like terminal cancer.

What does this mean to us consumers?

Yes, there will be and are already deals to be had, even for Honda. However, just that Detroit is doing a fire sale does not automatically translate into the same for Honda or Toyota. Yes, it may turn into that if things get even worse, but I would hesitate to apply Detroit's desperation unconditionally to a company like Honda. They are hurting, yes, but it's a bad bruise, which may not require as drastic a sales move as GM, Ford and Chrysler, who all have a stage IV cancer.
  • fullframefullframe Member Posts: 3
    I bought my 09 Fit Sport and I been approved by Honda Finance @ Woodland Hills, CA. I signed everything, put $500 immediately and another check for $1000 that can only be used after two weeks. I thought the deal is done and final, but two days later I get a call from my finance guy requesting an additional down payment or a co-signer.

I told him I will put another $1000 and to give me another two weeks.

I really hope the Honda Review guy call me because I will give them the lowest score for the hassle they caused me. I should at least be compensated for this sudden change in the agreement.

What do you guys think? Should I threaten them that I will give them the lowest score or tell them I wont be shopping there anymore. :mad:
    This post is very entertaining. Even if Honda was hurting like the Big 3, which I do not believe they are, they still would not give that huge of a discount. There is no doubt that things have slowed for Honda. Loyal Honda customers seem to be going to the dealership trying to get invoice prices which in the past they have had difficulty doing. I witnessed deals being made on the Civic and Accords in this manner...And it is relatively easy to get a discount of three to five hundred dollars on the FIT as well.

Most Honda buyers are happy with invoice b/c they know they are getting a car with great resale value.

To walk into a Honda dealership and tell them 10000 cash is a deal is just funny. While cash is king, I hardly call 10000 cash when talking about a Honda...that's more like loose change.

Using cash helps a lot and I used cash and actually got the 09 FIT SPORT AT for 1500 off....this is where cash helps...you can help them meet their sales objectives etc...Still this was an unexpected deal and happened when I was looking at a pre owned FIT....

I am not sure why so many of us feel inspired to post a response to what seems like such an outlandish post...

Even with the Big 3, try making your offer for the Pontiac Vibe for 10000 and they probably might not take it either, depending on how the car is equipped but just for fun, maybe you should try that next...

good luck to you.....you might want to use a low interest credit card to pay for the remainder of the HONDA FIT and get some points while you are at it! :shades:
    I have no real advice as I am not really sure I understand what happened. Are you trying to make payments on a car that is on the lot already but you do not currently have the funds? Why are you writing post dated checks?

Listen, I do not want to be mean as I am sure you are very hard working and you just want to get your car and CA can be very expensive to try to live but it seems like you are operating on a layaway plan!

Seriously though, before you walk into a dealership, you should know how much you are approved for...HONDA has online applications and approval...I do not know what went wrong but with all the horror stories about financing, it would be so good to be able to avoid it by either having cash our signing up with a credit union to loan you the money.

Maybe you can put a stop payment on the check that has not been cashed yet?

It just sounds like you have no car buying experience and they know it and they are taking advantage of you b/c they see some sort of opportunity....

This is a mess!
    Good luck and try to get someone to represent you like someone who has a lot of experience buying cars and let that person talk to the dealership.

You need to know your credit rating and how much you are approved for b/c if you are a high risk customer, then it could be they want more cash from you but of course they should have not changed the deal midstream! :mad:
  • fullframefullframe Member Posts: 3
    Actually, I put $1500 down and then a few days later the finance guy called if I can put another down. I told him I'll give him another $1000 in two weeks, so the total down is now $2500.

I thought the deal is done and signed, but this [non-permissible content removed] pisses me off that I have to come up with another grand.

I'll give that dealer bad survey for sure, unless I'm compensated somehow.
    It's Christmas so I'll be even nicer than I usually am. :)

If. a couple of months ago, I had read someone's post where they were trying to buy a new Fit for 4000.00 less than the dealer paid, I would have thought it was a typo or someone trying to be funny.

Not anymore. In the past few weeks, we have had people make offers on cars that were beyond ridiculous. Then they try to tell us how we should be grateful, given the economy to accept their offers?

And they are SERIOUS!

Last week I got an email on a used Infiniti G35 that was priced at (I think) 26,000. This guy thought we should take 5000.00 for it!

The sky isn't falling folks, this is temporary!

Merry Christmas to all of you!
    Well, I suppose putting money down on a car is not unheard of, but I am wondering if this car is in stock and also I am still wondering why the downpayment part of the deal changed. I guess I am wondering what if anything else might change next...

the interest rate? dealer addons that you do not want? etc, ect...

I do not know why a dealership would agree to give you compensation when they are trying to get more down payment from you and they are not stupid people so I cannot imagine this was an oversight by the initial finance person....the people who do the finance are pretty sharp usually....

well...best of luck to you but see what you can learn from this...don't think once you get this car you are out of the market for a long time...my 07 HONDA FIT SPORT was totaled and that is why I just got the 09 and a friend of mine got her car totaled about a year after buying it so you never know when you need to use your car buying lessons so try to read up on things and be more prepared next time ok?

take care!
    Hey Honda guy,

People are really dumb! If they do not know the difference between GM and Honda then they need to climb out of the cave they are hiding in. I do not want to be mean to GM or any other car companies but there is a reason why these people are in trouble...probably more than one reason! Anyway Honda might need to sell at lower margins for a little while but things will rebound and Honda will be fine...

I would be so mad if I worked at a Honda dealership and people treated me that way, telling me I should be glad for the completely insane offer! But, then again, at that point, you know who you are dealing with and I guess it is best to not even waste your oxygen and just say "thank you but I need to decline your offer, I wish you the best and have a happy new year"

As Honda owners, none of us should want the prices to drop too low b/c ultimately cars that sell thousands below invoice are cars that never retain their value and have no resale value. You might say who cares about resale but you care when you get ready to sell your car b/c you have your heart set on an updated/new/different car...you care...so stop trying to kill the Honda dealers b/c if the masses did revolt and were successful, what would be accomplished? A short term win and the decimation of a car company.

This would not happen in reality but I am just saying folks, you need to be reasonable and it is fine to ask for some profit sharing when making your deal if you are subtle and assertive but come on, that person who offered 10000 was not based in any sort of reality and needs and education and that goes for anyone else thinking that thousands off will yield a success. And with the Honda FIT and Civic being ranked #W1 and #1 on the Best Affordable Small Cars list on US NEWS AND WORLD REPORT, Honda has no reason to cave in.....

I think if you have no money, and you are negotiating for a car that has a crummy reliability rating then go for the jugular and negotiate many thousands off the MSRP or invoice b/c that's all that car is probably worth and if that's all the money you have, then that needs to be your plan but Honda will have no part of that on an entry level subcompact which is in big demand.

Happy Holidays and i know i am preaching to the choir. :shades:
    I don't take anything personal but I just shake my head in amazement sometimes, that's all.
  • mistermistermistermister Member Posts: 1
    Say psychoticgas, I am also looking for a 2009 Fit Sport in the Houston area. Can you list the "multiple dealers" who are willing to do that and who you ended up going with?

Thanks!