Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• makabemakabe Member Posts: 50
    GAP insurance covers the difference between what you owe, compared to what the vehicle is worth in case it is totaled. Say you put little or no money down and your loan is for MSRP + sales tax + license + accessories. 6 months later the car is totaled, but the insurance only wants to pay 14K and you still owe $17.5K. A common mistake is when people buy the GAP coverage when they made a large down payment. But, sometimes GAP coverage covers deductibles as well--check the fine print and understand that insurance companies are in business to make money, not to pay it out if at all possible.
  • johnnyb11johnnyb11 Member Posts: 50
    Honda Care $1295

Just an FYI to others about to buy a Fit - The honda care warranty, which I think is totally worth the money - has a negotiable price. I was first told that it would cost $1195. In the end, I got it for $799 - 7 year, 100k mile, $0 deductible.
  • jimmy5150jimmy5150 Member Posts: 30
    I have GAP insurance thru my insurance company....$35 a year.
  • odysseyhadafitodysseyhadafit Member Posts: 1
    I got my car on 5/2, a gray Sport AT, from Maroone Honda in Miami. The dealer is part of the AutoNation Group. I was surprised at the price I got and the fact that there were no bad surprises. I used the internet to get prices in three different counties by entering appropriate zipcodes. I got 8-9 responses with only 2 or so price quotes. One quote was way over MSRP. This one, however was $25 UNDER MSRP. I responded to the e-mail and asked for the out-the-door-price and asked whether or not there were any dealer fees. They repsonded with $16,495 + $989 tax + $160 tags and they would absorb the dealer fees. I wanted to run down right away and get that in writing but he didn't have the model I wanted. So, that raised my suspicion until he called me to tell me that a shipment was arriving and he had the VINs. What really blew me away was when i got down to the dealership and said I had a trade (2003 Ford Expedition), they gave me $1500 MORE than CarMax. So, needless to say, I am very happy with the price and the fact that i only had to wait a couple days for the car. God has blessed me, I hope he blesses you too!
  • moonchildmoonchild Member Posts: 15
    Congrats on your new FIT and your deal. I have the same one and love it. I hope you will be as happy. :D
  • waltersbgwaltersbg Member Posts: 28
    I figure somebody has to serve as the counter example, it might as well be me...

In my part of the Country (Oregon and SW Washington), finding a fit at all is a challenge. If I go to autotrader right now and look for all fits (any color or model) within 200 miles of my home, I find a total of 10. Of the 10, 6 show "starting at" prices that are over MSRP. One of them shows a starting price of $19396!

I'm a careful car buyer and I've never before paid over MSRP for a car. I've sat in dealerships with a laptop and spreadsheets beating the sales people into submission. I've used autobytel and carsdirect to simplify the buying process and get below MSRP prices.

The problem this time was that I decided that I wanted a fit just as they were becoming very, very hard to find in the area.

The first place I found a fit to test drive was a dealership about 30 miles away. They had one which was already sold but was still in the show room for us to be able to look at it and sit inside and stuff. I then called around the area and found one other fit that was unsold. It was a automatic, which is not what I wanted, but we went and test drove it. Now I knew for sure that I wanted a fit. The challenge was to find one.

On Wednesday morning, I found one at a dealership in a Portland suburb. I already knew that this dealership was asking over MSRP, but I figured that I needed to go see a black one anyway and there was always a chance that I could talk them down to MSRP. I got pre-approved for a loan at my credit union before I went.

I went to the dealer on my lunch hour. I told the sales guy immediately that I would not pay over MSRP and that if his manager would not let him come down to MSRP that I just needed to head back to work. We then went inside and he took down all my info and the vehicle info. At that point he went to the manager to "get the price". He came back with a price that was $2500 over MSRP! I just stared at him for a while before I said, "I told you that I wouldn't pay over MSRP. I mean that."

After several more go-arounds, the manager said that they simply could not come down to MSRP. At that point, I really did have to get back to work, so it was easy to just stand up, thank them for their time and walk out. I don't think they worried too much because they probably will sell that car this weekend for well over MSRP, if they haven't already.

Early the next morning, I re-tried another dealer and the Internet sales guy was just driving to work and said they did indeed have a black, base, 5M on the lot. He said that he would get back to me in a few minutes with his "very best deal".

When he called me back, he said that the sticker on that car had a price of $500 over MSRP. At that point, I was ready to thank him for his time and say goodbye. However, he continued on to say that the car had mud guards, floor mats, and a cargo tray installed and that he would give those to me for no charge, "to make up for the fact that it's over MSRP".

Hmmmm...now I needed to stop and think -- which is NEVER a good thing when you're in the heat of battle. I had to quickly figure out how much those accessories, all of which were the ones I wanted, were worth. Doing the approximate math quickly in my head, I saw that the total deal would be about $150 more than it should be based on MSRP and normal accessory prices. At that point, I gave in. I was late for work, tired of shopping, and just glad to have found the car I wanted. I also was thankful that he was at least trying to make a deal.

The time at the dealership went fine and everybody was very nice and helpful. The only bad part was that we had a possible trade-in with us but there was some oil seepage found around the head gasket. The dealer wasn't just trying to scam me because they didn't even want to offer me on the car after that. We just brought it back home and now we'll try to figure out what to do with it. It would have been nice to reduce my sales tax by the value of the trade-in but oh well. At least we got a new car before the old one had any serious trouble.

So, after that incredibly long story, here's my deal:

Base fit 5M: $14,900 ($500 over MSRP)
    floor mats: $0 (normally something like $109)
    mud guards: $0 (normally something like $130)
    cargo tray: $0 (normally something like $100)
    document fee: $50
    trip permit: $20
    sales tax: $0 (bought in Oregon, which has no sales tax, so I'll be paying my Washington sales tax when I register with the DMV)

Total: $14,970

The car so far has been great. I'll write about that in the driving experiences thread.
  • bwhicksbwhicks Member Posts: 1
    I guess I am surprised at some of what I have found. I'm wanting to get a Fit in the orange. This will be my first new car so I figured why settle for something (like color) that I am not really hip on. I had no idea it would be this tough to find the sport fit in the color I want. I am calling dealerships all over the place just trying to find one in stock. This leads me to the second "problem". Is it pretty much impossible to get any kind of deal on these Fits? It bugs me that I will be paying MSRP for a car. Just feels like getting ripped off :( . So has anyone gotten some decent deals? I would love to basically get one for 16K so $500 off. You would think I was wanting it for $9995. I had one dealer basically take the position that I would pay MSRP and should be greatful for that. Guess who I'm not buying from. ;) . So I left wondering, am I going to have to pay MSRP or wait for months for the hype to die down? Any suggestions?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    So I left wondering, am I going to have to pay MSRP or wait for months for the hype to die down?

Probably. If you are anywhere near Chicago you might check with Grand Honda (they are on the Web and their URL is obvious if you know the name). They advertise good deals on Hondas.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Grand Honda sold out of Fit after they advertised Fit Sport Automatic at $15,500. Or at least that is what they said late last week.
    They should be obtaining more soon. Grand Honda has not had the Fit in their latest print ad's.
  • wave54wave54 Member Posts: 211
    So I left wondering, am I going to have to pay MSRP or wait for months for the hype to die down? Any suggestions?

Suggestion: Yes, wait for the hype to die down. If a car is in limited supply and hot, the dealers are free to sell for whatever the market will bear. Nobody OWES you a deal and MSRP is just that -- the suggested selling price.

No one complains when they get thousands hacked off the sticker of a slow-selling model. If people want a car that badly now, they may have to pay over sticker.

Personally, I'd wait 6 months -- by that time the Versa and 07 Aveo will be on the market and prices may stabilize (unless gas goes up to $4/gallon).
    Also the '07 Accent hatchback starting at $11.5k before rebates/discounts should help provide some pricing pressure. I don't know that the Aveo will help there, since the 5-door hasn't been redesigned for '07, but the sedan has.

I called Grand Honda in Chicago. They are no longer giving discounts on the Fit due to high demand, but would sell them for MSRP.
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    The Civic came out last year and a Civic EX right now sells for around $300 less MSRP.

For the Fit, anyone have any guess how low it can go selling from MSRP? I doubt it will go down too much. Not for the next 6 mos at least. I think as long as you get it at MSRP now, its a fair deal. I would definitely not pay over sticker.
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    Keep in mind that there's not much difference between dealer invoice and MSRP, so even if for some freakish reason, the price drops like a rock to invoice, you're still only talking about the price being between 600 and 700 bucks lower.
  • speeden71speeden71 Member Posts: 2
    Even worse in Atlanta area. No sport AT's to be had. If they come in, they are sold within hours or at most a couple of days. Several dealers are taking orders for VIN's in the pipeline. BS dealer add ons range from 500-800 over MSRP. Again this is for Sport FIT AT's. Basically they say take it or leave it. Especially if you want a color other than silver or black (like the blue I ordered.)
    Volume on the Civics is around 300k a year for the U.S. Volume for the Fit is about 40k. Prices could stay high for some time, until initial demand is satisfied. A lot depends on how the other new cars in this class fare vs. the Fit, and how much of the demand they pick up.
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    I guess the inventory varies from state to state but in NYC before I got my Fit at this dealer, I checked a few dealers and they were all selling at MSRP and not over.

A friend also just checked out the Fit a few days after I took delivery of mine and they told him the best they can do is $200 off MSRP.

So it seems to me the Fit is very attainable here in NYC. Initially, they were forcing me to buy the showroom car but I said I'll wait for the next shipment. 4 days later, I got the color and model I wanted. So how is that possible if the thought is they sell like hotcakes and the VINS are all already presold?
  • mauicedarmauicedar Member Posts: 34
    Pre-ordered my Fit in January from a North Dakota Dealer. I was able to order my color and model exactly. List plus any options I choose at College Hills Honda discount prices. Tags to drive out of state $10.00, no state sales tax in North Dakota and 129.00 fees. They now have all Fit's sold until July and require some extras. They have stood by their word on my sell. It paid to commit early.

I'll sell it next year if the hybrid comes out at plus 1800 with next generation Fit. They'll fix the dead pedal and seat adjustment then. ;)
  • bigmike91bigmike91 Member Posts: 18
    Unfortunately I don't see anyone getting a Fit for much less than the MSRP anytime soon. There are not many available right now, and the high gas prices are making small four cylinder cars attractive to people who would not have been caught dead in one a few years ago. When the Chrysler PT Cruiser was introduced several years ago dealers were selling them for more than the MSRP at first; after awhile, the novelty wore off and Chrysler was actually forced to offer incentives to get people to buy them! You will probably be able to get a good deal on a Fit at some point in the future, but if you want to own one right now, expect to pay the MSRP or close to it.
  • ptchangptchang Member Posts: 7
    Preordered Fit Sport with Automatic to get the color and interior I wanted (white/beige). Telling me about 3 weeks. Checked out few dealers & the best deal which I finally agreed on was MSRP with free rubber mats ($109 retail) which I was going to purchase otherwise.

I'm happy with the deal since the price is pretty low to begin with. I figure the MSRP is only $700 or so over the invoice. Although I recently bought Volvo XC90 about $2000 BELOW INVOICE...
  • socceruksocceruk Member Posts: 1
    I bought my fit in April and took delivery on May 2, 2006. I managed to haggle the dealership down on the price; I ended up paying $13,600 + tax for the base model. From the looks of it, I got a great deal. Oh, and I love the car!
  • ripwilsonripwilson Member Posts: 13
    >Grand Honda sold out of Fit after they advertised Fit >Sport Automatic at $15,500.

$15,500 is approx $300 to $500 below invoice, which means the dealership is going into their holdback money.

A car in demand like this is not going to be sold for $15,500.

I believe what you posted, so don't take it personally. I just mean it is a typo or a hook to get people in the door. I see this all the time. I'll never forget the $199 per month lease payment on the new Chevy Blazer. It never existed. Just a hook to get you onto the showroom floor.

Rip
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    Whenever you see a price like that you HAVE to look for the fine print, which will ususally say something like, destination, dealer installed options, processing fee, tax and tags not included.

Some ads will even go so far as to have verbage like this: price after $1,000 down payment.
    "... so if you dont buy here many many many others will.."

That is a terrible attitude. All through the years I have wanted a Harley Davidson, but never bought one because their institutional philosophy toward their customers is just like yours.

I realize your attitude doesn't reflect that of Honda's, which is why they need to identify you and send you down the road, to perhaps...sell new Harleys.

Rip
    Thank you.

Let's keep the threads on track.

I came here to read about prices and experiences and I'm reading Fit vs. everything posts.

It's like we're posting about who would win in a fight: Godzilla, Rodan, King Kong....

Gheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh!
    Rip
    A car in demand like this is not going to be sold for $15,500.

I believe what you posted, so don't take it personally. I just mean it is a typo or a hook to get people in the door.

I know from past experience that Grand Honda does indeed sell at the prices advertised.
    Illinois maintains strict oversight over vehicle sales and advertising. Illinois Attorney General both past and present has prosecuted for deceptive practices such as bait and switch and currently lending practices of some dealers are being investigated.
    As a result, dealers have to sell for advertised prices. Also, in IL the document fee is limited by law to $57.33.
    In some other states the document fee can be as high as $399 or higher.

Bottom line, $15,500 for Fit Sport Automatic was a real price. The smoke and mirrors that is present in auto advertising is greatly diminished in Illinois due to legislative and enforcement.

Most recent experience with Grand Honda is when a friend purchased a Ridgeline and I told him about the Grand Honda price he first went to other dealers and they said Grand Honda could not sell for that price, that they would be losing money. Well, a call to Grand Honda and the Ridgeline was in stock and the advertised price was honored with no additional accessories or maint agreements or enviromental protectection etc., and the Silver Ridge' is now regularly in the company parking lot.

I don't take it personally. :)
    Whenever you see a price like that you HAVE to look for the fine print, which will ususally say something like, destination, dealer installed options, processing fee, tax and tags not included.

Some ads will even go so far as to have verbage like this: price after $1,000 down payment.

I agree. Read the ad, read the fine print, understand what is being sold, call the dealer and verify that they have in stock the vehicle at the price you want to buy before wasteful uses of time.

New 2006 Honda Fit Sport Automatic $15,500
    No added accessories. ($57.33 doc fee, taxes, license fees not included)
    Destination was included.

Note: As of last week, Grand Honda was out of stock of Fit and would not sell incoming Fit stock at same pricing as their original shipment.

I am in no way associated with Grand Honda or any other dealership. My motto is to buy at the best price and buy local if possible.

My point is that there are deals available on Fit, no one should pay over MSRP.
    New 2006 Honda Fit Sport Automatic $15,500
    No added accessories. ($57.33 doc fee, taxes, license fees not included) Destination was included.

That is the deal of a lifetime. Congrats to you.

Enjoy that fine machine.
    Rip
  • jimmy5150jimmy5150 Member Posts: 30
    So one dealer in the US has been below MSRP and has admitted the price will be at MSRP with there next shippment.

A month ago I was ready to trade my xB in, but after waiting 2 weeks with no opportunity to even test drive a Fit....I have cooled a bit on the purchase.....supply and demand may rule the market, but its safe to say there are a few other folks like myself who were ready for an impulse buy, but just didn't have the product in front of them to make the decision.
  • nordonordo Member Posts: 12
    I just signed the paper work for my new fit.
    Here was my deal.

Vivid Blue, 5sp Man, Sport

Accessories Included:

16" HFP WHEELS

Steering Wheel Cover (BLUE)
    08U98-SLN-100B

All Season Floor Mats
    08P13-SLN-100

Meter Panel Trim (BLUE)
    08Z03-SLN-100B

Switch Panel Trim (BLUE)
    08Z03-SLN-100E

Cargo Cover
    08Z07-SLN-110

Cargo Tray
    08U45-SLN-100

(3)Honda Oil Filters w/Washer
    15400-PLM-A02

(1) Air Cleaner
    17220-PWA-J10

I traded in a 2001 Civic EX 5sp in good shape with about 70,000mi and will get a loan for $8950.
    The $8950 will be my out the door with all of the above when my Fit gets here.
    Can’t Wait!!
    Anyone know of any at their local dealers that may be willing to trade in Oklahoma?
  • purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    As a resident of Hellinois, I regularly peruse their adds. I know people that have purchased from them AT THE ADVERTISED PRICES.

Congrats to those that were able to get one at $15,500
    Just to illustrate the difference between Honda and Toyota regarding customer assistance with availability / locating:

Last week I searched high and low, trying to locate a Toyota Yaris liftback, color Absolutely Red, auto trans, with All Weather Guard and Convenience packages. Couldn't find one after days of calling multiple dealerships.

I finally went to Toyota's website and clicked the 'Contact Us' hyperlink. Found the toll-free national number and called. Spoke with a guy there, explaining my situation, telling him I would drive anywhere within the region to buy this vehicle.

He absolutely would not help me locate a vehicle. Found out from a local dealer's new car sales manager that corporate will not do this as it may show favoritism toward high-volume dealerships who, by statistics, would probably have the car. So Toyota literally chose to lose the sale instead of referring the customer to the dealership who had the vehicle.

Honda: Getting a little impatient with my local dealer, thinking he was hesitating to pull the trigger on a trade.

Called Honda national customer service located in Southern California. Spoke with a guy, explaining my situation. Told him what I was looking for. He queried the database and gave me the names of the five nearest dealerships (and their telephone numbers) that held the vehicles matching the query.

Called all of them. All the Fits in question sold within the last couple of days. Turns out my local dealer was truthful. There are none for which to trade.

The national customer service rep made an attempt to turn me into a Honda owner, and my local dealer was being honest with me about the trade info.

Kudos to Honda. And goodbye to Toyota.
    Rip
  • jrlncjrlnc Member Posts: 48
    I had an eerily similar experience.

Read my post on the "New Honda Fit Owners..." thread:

My Experience

The bottom line is that I was ready to buy a Yaris from the Toyota dealer. Their slowness to find the car with my preferences is what led me to look at Honda just out of curiosity. I was not even interested in Honda at all at that point.

I test drove a Fit on a Friday, loved the car and wanted to make a deal on it. Unfortunately that dealer wanted $1200 OVER MSRP. On Sunday I put in a quote request at Honda's website. They turned my request over immediately to another local dealer. On Monday I was contacted by Honda dealer #2's internet salesman, internet sales manager, and dealership manager. They confirmed all my preferences and options and gave me a firm written quote. I thought that I'd be waiting about 2-3 weeks. They said they would have to trade with another dealership and would let me know when they located a blue Fit Sport m/t. They called me Thursday to get my credit card deposit to secure a vehicle they had located. Friday afternoon they called to say the car came in and they were washing and prepping it (state inspection and mechanical checklist). I picked it up Saturday morning. They worked a 3-way trade with 2 other dealerships to get my car. The vehicle was $397 over MSRP, but included floormats ($99) which I wanted anyway so $298 extra for pinstripes, paint sealant, 1st oil change. I figured I'd pay MSRP anyway, so not bad. I especially appreciated that they worked a 3-way trade to get it. I credit this experience both to Honda's responsiveness and this dealer. They worked their [non-permissible content removed] off and deserved the sale. Kudos to Honda and this dealership. Too bad Toyota - and I was a former Toyota owner too.
  • ramoramo Member Posts: 66
    Ordered a DX on April 6. Thanks to crimsona on this forum, who knew that Fits were arriving 3rd wk. in May in Canada. We motored to dealer yesterday on a whim, in time to see a huge shipment of TWO Fits getting first wash after arrival. One LX was sold, the other had been, but order was cancelled due to illness. So, do we buy the one LX, $2000.00 more than the DX, or wait for the DX which we were told may or may not be produced anytime soon? Even that choice was a bit of work since the dealer had to consult with the sales person who had ordered the DX for us. That person was not available yesterday. Another salesperson helped us out and we bought the LX at MSRP less trade. Overall service would have been vastly improved with no cost to Honda, if I had been given approximate dates of expected deliveries and an option to purchase an LX if there was a problem with DX production before dropping in, magically, on the right date. Thanks again CRIMSONA! I am satisfied with value for my buck, just wish the transaction had gone more smoothly. For me, buying new is stressful, especially when I am acutely aware of the cost of new vs. used. This car will be with us for a long time as I am more than satisfied with the design. Really happy that my hubby and I could agree so readily on this car. Bye, Tercel you have been dependable and reasonable.
  • crimsonacrimsona Member Posts: 153
    Congrats on the purchase (and one hell of a voodoo lucky charm ritual). After the May batch, as far as I know, the next is early July - yikes. I'm still waiting for mine, should be arriving these 2 weeks :(
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    Honda sold 250,000 Fits in their first year of release in Japan. Honda is only releasing about 40,000 Fits to the US this year. I would say they could easily push 200,000 if they could get them on dealer lots in the USA which they couldn't if they wanted to. It's a global car and Honda in no way has the capacity as they have to split demand across the world, and they're also trying to free up factory space for the high demand Civic Hybrid.

That's my take on the supply and demand issue. I would be happy to pay MSRP if you can find one. We love our Fit Sport.
  • dawsonmpdawsonmp Member Posts: 12
    Got my Silver Fit Sport 5 spd. on April 27th. The more I drive it the more I like it. My only complaints are that I wish it had a dead pedal for my left foot and I can't see the radio display in the bright sun. A 6 spd. would be nice too for 70+ driving. The May Car & Driver rated 7 similar cars and Fit was number one. I paid $15,720 plus tax and tags and a $99 processing fee. The salesman let me use his 10% discount to buy the all weather mats. They didn't give me anything but didn't inflate the price either
  • jrlncjrlnc Member Posts: 48
    Congratulations dawsonmp on your new silver beauty. :) Please post pictures when you can. I consider that you got a good deal since I've been seeing others go for MSRP and up. I paid MSRP plus $298 in unwanted options because of lack of availability of the Fit Sport 5 sp in blue in my area. (I could have gotten Red or Silver at MSRP, but preferred Blue as first choice)
    Since I picked up my car last Saturday, It's generated lots of positive comments and interested lookers.
    Because Honda is advertising but not importing many of this model, I expect there will be plenty of support to keep the prices up. The Fit seems to be the favorite of several reviewers and magazines.
  • tonkstonks Member Posts: 12
    Late last year it became apparent that it would soon be time to replace my 1993 Honda Civic del sol, which had served me faithfully for seven years (it had previously belonged to a family member).

After the del sol, the prospect of driving anything else seemed a bit boring. And I really wanted something small nose-to-trunk like the del sol, which makes even current-model Civics seem huge in comparison. I was half-heartedly considering a Jeep Wrangler when I learned that the Fit would debut in the States this year.

Woo hoo! A car, by Honda, the same length and width as the del sol. Good gas mileage estimates, lots of nice standard features and (gasp) back seats! It looked good on paper, but the engine was smaller than the del sol's and the car was a couple hundred pounds heavier, so I thought I might be disappointed in the test drive.

I cleared my schedule on the last weekend in April for car shopping.

After miserable customer-service experiences with two Chicagoland Honda dealers (that's another story), I was ready to give up on the Fit. I called a third local dealer (O'Hare Honda) on a lark and asked if they had the Storm Silver Sport MT in stock. Yes. Could I test-drive it? Yes.

It was a sloppy, rainy day, which was a great way to test the foul-weather handling. After handily beating out a highway-speed semi while merging, I was sold. From the del sol, it usually took me quite awhile to get accustomed to a different car, especially other manuals. But the Fit drove exceptionally well in the test.

I paid sticker ($15,720) plus $441 in options (all-season mats and Apple iTunes Music Link) plus documentary service fee ($57), Illinois taxes and title ($1309), for a total of $17,527.

After three weeks I still love it and lament every missed opportunity to drive it (i.e. the days my colleague drives the carpool).
    I would like to thank everyone for posting their information here; is has been a big help to me, and I'm sure many others feel the same. I think it is safe to say that no one is going to buy a Honda Fit for much less than MSRP anytime soon; there are simply more buyers than available vehicles right now.
  • earthearth Member Posts: 76
    Late last year it became apparent that it would soon be time to replace my 1993 Honda Civic del sol, which had served me faithfully for seven years (it had previously belonged to a family member).

After the del sol, the prospect of driving anything else seemed a bit boring. And I really wanted something small nose-to-trunk like the del sol, which makes even current-model Civics seem huge in comparison. I was half-heartedly considering a Jeep Wrangler when I learned that the Fit would debut in the States this year.

Woo hoo! A car, by Honda, the same length and width as the del sol. Good gas mileage estimates, lots of nice standard features and (gasp) back seats! It looked good on paper, but the engine was smaller than the del sol's and the car was a couple hundred pounds heavier, so I thought I might be disappointed in the test drive.

I cleared my schedule on the last weekend in April for car shopping.

After miserable customer-service experiences with two Chicagoland Honda dealers (that's another story), I was ready to give up on the Fit. I called a third local dealer (O'Hare Honda) on a lark and asked if they had the Storm Silver Sport MT in stock. Yes. Could I test-drive it? Yes.

It was a sloppy, rainy day, which was a great way to test the foul-weather handling. After handily beating out a highway-speed semi while merging, I was sold. From the del sol, it usually took me quite awhile to get accustomed to a different car, especially other manuals. But the Fit drove exceptionally well in the test.

I paid sticker ($15,720) plus $441 in options (all-season mats and Apple iTunes Music Link) plus documentary service fee ($57), Illinois taxes and title ($1309), for a total of $17,527.

After three weeks I still love it and lament every missed opportunity to drive it (i.e. the days my colleague drives the carpool).
    ------------------

Edited to read better : I paid sticker ($15,720) plus $441 in options (all-season mats and Apple iTunes Music Link) plus documentary service fee ($57), Illinois taxes and title ($1309), for a total of $17,527.
  • edt1edt1 Member Posts: 3
    Listed MSRP on my Sport AT was 15970. Invoice, according to Edmunds is 15297. I paid 15531 plus 550 for delivery plus 140 for processing the plates and title by the dealership. Am pleased with the deal since it was only about 250 over invoice. :blush:
  • edt1edt1 Member Posts: 3
    Wear your sunglasses when buying the Blaze Orange. It's worth the wait, though, if you have to have that color. The dealer told me that it might take a month or two to get my Sport AT in Blaze Orange. Five days later he said my car was in. Love it :)
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    What dealer did you get it from?
    If one dealer got six Fits in at the same time, maybe that means that there will be more Fits available across the country in the near future (at least I hope so). This is a nice little car, but if I buy one I would like to get it for at least a couple of hundred dollars less than MSRP. I don't mean any offense to people who have already bought one, but I'm not interested in paying more than MSRP for a car.
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    I had to drive between San Diego and Orange county twice this past weekend and on the way I saw 7 Honda transporters with 3 or 4 Fits on each of them. Most of them were Sport models, but there were a few base models as well. They are out there! :)

My dealer (to whom I paid MSRP...not a cent over) is now charging several hundred over MSRP. :P
  • goboilers1goboilers1 Member Posts: 2
    After much researching and test driving of different cars, my girlfriend decided the Honda Fit was best for her. I helped my her locate a Fit yesterday, and she's very happy and excited about her purchase. She wanted the Sport trim with AT in either the silver or blue color. We live in the Triangle area of NC (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) and had no luck finding one - waiting times ranged from 3-8 weeks for the next available. So, I called just about every Honda dealer in NC. Half of those did not have any Fits available, and the ones that did had the Base trim and/or MT. One had a Sport MT and was asking $17,500! Thankfully, I found one in Greenville, NC (about 1.5 hrs away) that was a Blue Fit Sport with AT. The initial price they gave me when I called was $16,908. I countered with the dealer invoice price of $15,970. They wouldn't bite and mentioned the high demand for the car. I gave them a final offer of $16,520 (MSRP) which they accepted. We drove down there to pick it up and she ended up paying $17,353 after taxes, tags, and doc fees. Floor mats were not included nor available at the dealer. Customer service at the Greenville Honda dealership was superb! She's very satisfied with the car. Our only concern thus far is the low ground clearance. She's already scraped the front end underbody while leaving a gas station's driveway, but now realizes she'll have to be more careful and mindful (her previous car was a Chevy Blazer). We're looking forward to our 1500-mile roundtrip to Indiana for Memorial Weekend in this fuel-efficient car.
  • johnnyvjjohnnyvj Member Posts: 112
    "Wear your sunglasses when buying the Blaze Orange. It's worth the wait, though, if you have to have that color. The dealer told me that it might take a month or two to get my Sport AT in Blaze Orange. Five days later he said my car was in. Love it."

Can you post pics, bwhicks? Interested in how the Blaze Orange looks like just sittin' in someone's driveway, i.e. under less than ideal lighting, etc.
  • fitcoupefitcoupe Member Posts: 9
    Johnnyvj,
    I now have 60 images on my Blaze orange Sport Fit, many
    regular in-usage shots in driveway, outside my 4th floor office window, etc.

Also added shots of all-weather floor mats (only 1 clip attaching
    front right mat, otherwise gravity-attached), parked
    next to 1) 1987 grey civic, 2) silver Element, 3) orange 2002 BMW, and 4) Silver Toyota xB

Will cross post this in the fit pics thread.
  • fitcoupefitcoupe Member Posts: 9
    Sorry, I forgot the url:
    http://pnwpest.org/len/fit
  • johnnyvjjohnnyvj Member Posts: 112
    Many thanks, fitcoupe! :D