Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• xkiddx13xkiddx13 Member Posts: 122
    yes that check with your DL# that still uses your SSN, you dont think the DMV has your SSN, you are sadly mistaken, and the reason why they require the check even on cash purchases is government standards, so drug dealers and others in illegal business, dont buy the car with stolen money ect.. so they cant have away to launder the money. but i guess you dont know any of that then, even at some shady dealership the same checks are done. and if you dont wanna buy at our dealership that is just to bad for you when we can get the best deals on most cars you are looking for, and the service here is impecable, and we are also know as the #1 honda dealership in america, for volume of cars sold.. plus we just won the presidents award... so if you dont buy here many many many others will.. matter of fact i started working here, because i bought my car here awhile ago and found this place was much better then the last dealer i worked at..
    I dont know what dealership your talking about but we sell to ppl anywhere, we are in los angeles county, city of cerritos to be exact. and we sell to ppl in san diego, san fransico, las vegas, even oregon. if the customer wants something we have we will do anything to let them have it..
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    my dl does not have my ss#, and i never have to give out my ss# to purchase a car
    I bet they do, you just dont know it... your ssn is very easy to get just off your first and last name...
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    your ssn is very easy to get just off your first and last name...

I know a guy named Mark Smith. What is is SSN?

I think you need to do a little more research on that one.
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    I guess that you are referring to our dealership. The Fit will be sold at MSRP and Pre-sold at the same. The Fit's that are Pre-sold will not have any dealer installed options on the car, unless the customers want them on. The Fit's that make it through and are available for the "retail" side will probably a set of splash guards and maybe wheel locks on the Sport.

We don't do ADM's or "Market Value" mark-ups. After things settle down then there will probably be some discounting, although there's not much spread with this car.

We do approx 185-225 Hondas per month and although that's not a huge number by West coast standards, we are set to have 7-9 Fit's per month...thats a miniscule amount of any car of this type.

Now, there are some people talking about SSN's being required by a dealership. I cannot tell you why they would ask for this. I know that it is illegal for anyone to run your credit without your authorization. Here in MD you cannot run anyones credit from a drivers license. Maybe in the states that use the SSN as your DL number, but I don't know if any of those are left.

To the fellow who said that their dealership will sell to anyone, anywhere...more power to you. We prefer to have our customers closer to us. Each dealership has a different philosophy I guess.
  • thebillthebill Member Posts: 194
    We ask for a copy of your lic. because we had a vehicle stolen a while back and our insurance requires it. Also, the lic.'s in the area do not included SSN so it is impossible to run a credit check. It is also againt the law to run someones credit without the consenting.
  • reddroverrreddroverr Member Posts: 509
    Put my $250 deposit down back in 1/23...was the first one awt a "confirmation" order later this week

How does that work? Do you have a fixed price already? If so, what is it?
  • shneorshneor Member Posts: 66
    Tried to get AAA pricing, but there won't be any at least for awhile. But the dealer ordered one to my specs (base manual). How much? I don't know yet, but it will be priced at MSRP (plus delivery, tax, license, etc.). The dealer did not ask for a deposit.
  • bostonjazzbostonjazz Member Posts: 51
    I recall that April 20 has been one of the rumored dates for the Fit's arrival (on the lots?).

We called our salesperson at the dealership (where we put down a deposit quite a while back) and they had still not received any more information from Honda - neither the dates NOR the pricing.

For those of us registered in the "Society of Fit," Honda sent out a marketing e-mail that mentioned at the end:

"...download new wallpaper and stickers so you'll be ready when the Fit arrives on April 20, 2006"

So, I take this to be a "semi-official" arrival date.

The next question is when/how soon pricing information will be available.
  • tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    Why is Detroit ignoring this rush to efficient high quality
    cars? I see Scions everywhere and Honda is late to the party with the FIT.Ford offers nothing like it (low 20 mpg).GM had Daewoo build the AVEO but with cheap as the objective. The Caliber is stripped when priced like the FIT
    (13k-14K).The last American car people went ga ga over was the PT cruiser and gets low 20 mpg.Now the lots are full of them.
    "So, I take this to be a "semi-official" arrival date."

I think you are right, although until we have our Ride and Drive things will be typically Honda mum.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    The basic Fit is adequately equipped for my needs, except that it lacks cruise control. Can cruise control be ordered as a stand alone option, or is one compelled to upgrade to the Sport model to have this particular feature?
  • brek1brek1 Member Posts: 19
    This has been an ongoing question people have in the forums. There has been no information indicating that it will be available. I hear you could get it installed aftermarket, but the cost will be high especially if you want steering wheel controls. But it wont be available through Honda without upgrading to the Sport.
    I don't see Fit pricing posted, so I'll post what I've received from Honda. If it's a dupe, please don't beat me over the head with it.

Base manual $14,400
    Base automatic $15,200
    Sport manual $15,720
    Sport automatic $16,520

The prices above include the $550 destination fee.
  • joedirtjoedirt Member Posts: 36
    Why would anyone pay anything near $16,000 USD for a car as small as the Fit, when you can get a much larger, safer, and nearly as fuel efficient car for about the same price?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic. I really don't get it.
    Maybe if you think of the Fit as a Mini Cooper with 5 doors instead of 3 it makes the price easier to swallow.

Consider that a Kia Rio5 is nearly $16k with automatic. So maybe a loaded Fit for $16k is not so outrageous.

However, it is more than I would pay for a car in this class. I don't need to have the sharpest-handling entry-level car or cleverest cargo area. But a base Fit with a little discount (ha!) wouldn't be out of the question.
  • b_a_r_racerb_a_r_racer Member Posts: 4
    Exactly Backy, joedirt should be asking the Mini Cooper owners this very question. Joedirt, I'll answer your question with a question of my own: have you ever driven a go cart?
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    Some people don't live with the mentality that bigger is better. The Fit is able to incorporate a tremendous amount of interior space and awesome versatility...nearly the same amount of space that many much larger vehicles have. If I can have everything the Fit offers (including excellent safety features, great handling, reliability, etc.) in a package this size, why not?
  • anotherscottanotherscott Member Posts: 93
    Joe, I'm probably going to buy a Fit, though the base model at $14,400. But, at under $16k, what would you actually recommend that is much larger, safer, and nearly as fuel efficient? If you gave a specific recommendation, maybe it would be easier to say what would make a Fit a better choice for some people. For example, do you have a recommendation that also has comparable reliability to a Honda? And over 40 cubic feet of cargo volume with the back seats down?

Also, as another poster here said, larger, in and of itself, is not necessarily better. Smaller cars are often more fun to drive, and easier to find parking spaces for. They are also arguably safer because they are more maneuverable... it's better to avoid an accident in the first place than hope you're the bigger of the cars in the accident, and if the Fit is in an accident, it does have plenty of safety built into it.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    I only know of one other option.(other than a couple of year used bigger car) The Suzuki Aerio SX Premium.

I get a TMV price from Edmunds of $14,177 after rebates! $15,936 for the AWD version, which should be safer as well.(Honda makes an AWD Fit, btw, for Japan - but not here)

Since it's about the same size as a Fit, and the same price, let's compare. 25/31Mpg - not stellar. Appears to have better features, though, and a LOT more power(155HP!). 2 gallon larger tank, so same range. ABS, bigger cargo area, 4 wheel independant suspension(a plus over the Fit), alloys, cruise, and so on.

I'd give it a serious look. Same money as a Base Fit for what appears to be a Fit Sport clone. Definately better than a Jetta. Yes, the reviewers aren't so happy with it, but for $14,000? That's a whole other story. You can't get any of the competition except MAYBE a Vibe at the end of the year for less money.
    Another option that is larger, safer, and has about the same fuel economy as the Fit, for under $16k, is the Civic DX. Even after adding A/C and an aftermarket stereo, you can get one for under $16k + T&L. It's about 20" longer than the Fit and has much more usable rear seat room. It has the best-in-class crash test scores. And its fuel economy compares very well with that of the Fit. You will sacrifice cargo room of course.

If you need a hatchback and some fuel economy can be sacrificed, other options under $16k are the Elantra GLS and the Vibe/Matrix.
    Interesting choices there. I do need the storage space.

Vibe/Matrix looks like a good competitor. Reliable, lots of cargo carrying capacity, plus you can get AWD ($). It does start at a higher price than the Fit, though... in a brief look, it seemed like the only way you get them price comparable is to load the Fit and strip the V/M. Apart from that, though, I just never warmed to the look of the V/M. Of course, the Fit isn't exactly a thing of beauty either... I guess I won't really know how I feel about its looks until I see it in person. The other thing is, lots of reviews say that the Fit is fun to drive, something you don't really hear about the V/M, and that counts for something too. And, oh yeah, the fuel economy.

I don't know much at all about the Suzuki, but it does look like it gives you an awful lot for the money, and I do like AWD. I wonder how its cargo carrying capacity compares. Again, you do trade off on the fuel economy. Also, according to CR's surveys, reliability is only average, and for some reason, owner satisfaction is poor.

For that matter, Vibe/Matrix owner satisfaction is only average. I kind of like that the Fit (Jazz) ranked first in customer satisfaction in the U.K. for both 2004 and 2005 (J.D. Power survey).

On the flip side, you could save some money and get a slightly used V/M or Suzuki, not an option on the Fit.
    If you are going to consider a Suzuki Aerio then I encourage you to look at the Elantra 5-door also. Priced well under $16k with rebates and discounts, lots of cargo room, solid car, comfy driving position and comfortable yet fairly sporty ride. Not quite as good fuel economy as the Fit but peppier (with the 5-speed). Oh and the long warranty.
    I know Hyundai has gotten better, so I probably need to get over my preconception there!

I also read more about the Suzuki, and it seems that the people who like it really like it. And one of the reviews that knocked it seemed to do so only based on looks, which is so subjective...

I'm still swayed toward the Honda for the best mileage and known Honda quality, but I should probably at least go take a look at the others...
  • kc456kc456 Member Posts: 12
    The Fit looks surprisingly like the Toyota Matrix.
    If I'm not mistaken, the Toyota Matrix was introduced in 2003? Therefore, it's the other way around. ;):D
    Okay, I saw a Hyundai today. It doesn't look nearly as good for carrying stuff... back seats don't fold flat... the rear hatch slopes down so you don't have full height at the back, etc. I'm not sure why anyone would consider this over the Fit... not as functional, worse fuel economy, worse performance, worse quality reputation, and I don't see any area where it is stronger.

I got a better look at Matrix/Vibe, too. It's really the Vibe that I don't like the look of, the Matrix is okay. That looks like a nice choice, flexible storage, Toyota quality. But you're still paying more money for a car with less fuel economy and weaker performance. But maybe a used one would be a good choice, especially for those in snow country who could benefit from AWD.
    You are mistaken on several points re the Elantra 5-door. First, keep in mind it is about 20" longer than the Fit. So even though the rear end slopes down, there is still plenty of cargo room and the load floor is longer. Second, the rear seats do fold flat. You lift the rear seat cushions so they fold up against the front seats, and the seat backs drop into place flat. Not as clever as the Fit's back seats, but they get the job done. Also, the performance of the Elantra is better than that of the Fit--e.g. 0-60 in 8.4 seconds with the stick vs. 8.7 for the Fit (as timed by C/D). Some other areas where the Elantra outshines the Fit:

* Exceptionally comfortable driving position with an 8-way adjustable driver's seat (including dual height adjustments and lumbar adjustment).
    * Smooth, quiet ride but still has good handling (although not as sharp as the Fit's).
    * Less hard plastic, more softly padded surfaces on the dash and door panels and plusher carpeting (lends a more upscale feel).
    * Features you will not find on the Fit such as traction control, one-touch power moonroof, heated mirrors, 4-wheel disc brakes, nice beefy side moldings and wraparound bumper moldings (keeps those dings off), perforated leather interior, and large center console with comfy armrest for driver and passenger. Cruise control and remote locking with alarm are standard even on the base model.
    * There's a lot more interior room, especially rear seat legroom. The Elantra is classed as a mid-sized car by the EPA based on interior volume.
    * The 6-speaker audio system is fitted into 1/2 of a double-DIN slot so upgrading it to just about any aftermarket unit is a snap.
    * They are less expensive than the Fit. A fully-loaded stick Elantra GLS 5-door with ABS/traction and moonroof can be had for under $14k. A base Fit is $14,400 and don't look for any discounts anytime soon.
    * And there's that 5-year/60k mile bumper-to-bumper warranty (2 years longer than Honda's) and 10-year/100k mile powertrain warranty (7 years longer than Honda's).

The Elantra is rated above-average in reliability by CR--it's no dog there. Both of mine have been solid, dependable cars. I am still interested in the Fit for my next car, but if I could pick up a '06 Elantra GLS 5-door on a big closeout sale later this year (all-new Elantra coming this fall) I would have to think seriously about it.
    The Elantra I saw was more stripped...did not have the leather, sunroof, etc., so did not look impressive. With those additions at the price you list, it does seem like it offers good value. And when I commented in the showroom about how the seats didn't fold flat, the salesperson was not savvy enough to tell me about the feature you describe there either.

While on the subject of other cars in this price range that carry a lot... The Ford Focus wagon has great cargo capability too. It has $2500 cash back now, which puts it well into the price range we're talking about, starts at $14k (edmunds TMV).

Though I still think the combination of fuel economy, fun to drive, and overall quality will favor the Honda.

You know, if the Honda gets 20% better fuel economy (as it looks like it does compared to some of the other cars we're talking about)... say 33 mpg vs. 27 mpg... that's about $200 a year savings (based on 12k miles a year and $2.80 a gallon). Though if you intend to keep the car a long time, you should also factor in the cost of an extended warranty if you're comparing something to the Hyundai (or risk an expensive later year repair wiping out those savings).

If I buy the Fit, I think I'll buy their extended warranty, which covers most stuff to 120k miles for about $1400.

BTW... I figured that ditching my V8 Jeep for a Honda Fit is going to save me over $1200 a year in gas! Not to mention the likelihood that the Jeep will need $$ repairs over the next x years while the Honda will be covered by warranty. (My Jeep is a 98 w/80k miles... it's been reliable, but I would be gambling to expect 3+ years of no repairs at this point!)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    This discussion is for Prices Paid..

For all other discussions about the Honda Fit, please take it here: Honda Fit

thanks,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    "10-year/100k mile powertrain warranty (7 years longer than Honda's)."

One correction: All Hondas now have a 5 year/ 60k mile powertrain warranty.
    Thanks, I forgot about the change for 2006. So it's only 5 years/40k miles longer. :)
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Is there a discussion of prices paid and buying experience for a FIT anywhere in this discussion? :confuse:
    Maybe after the 20th, when people actually start taking delivery of their Fits, there will be.
  • coloradocraigcoloradocraig Member Posts: 14
    I just purchased a FIT sport manual for $15,720 (MSRP) plus sales tax in Boulder Colorado. No dealer "adders" to the price. Didn't have the color I wanted in the April allocation, so mine will arrive in mid/late May.
    You actually purchased it fully, or just put a deposit down and agreed upon a price?
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    My dealer won't allow me to pay in full, until the car keys are ready to be handed over. They say it's because they need to be flexible, should a) Honda decide to change the MSRP at the last minute, or b) the car comes in damaged, and they need to get me a different one.
  • drknifedrknife Member Posts: 25
    I just put a deposit down for a Fit Sport Manual Transmission in Blue. They are supposed to have the car Thursday!! We should be able to get it then.

If not I hope that it gets here soon.
    Also I will be posting a fully comprehensive review of all the Fit Sport features and such HERE.

The link above will not exist until after I have a Fit Sport.

Dan
  • coloradocraigcoloradocraig Member Posts: 14
    I put down a deposit and agreed upon the price. Cash on delivery.
  • coldstorage5coldstorage5 Member Posts: 76
    Hey what was the price??
    The MSRP ??
    Thanx
  • drknifedrknife Member Posts: 25
    for mine it was $15,740 US for a Fit Sport Manual Trans
    Thanx,
    was that the msrp or less??
    Were you able to negotiate a little????

Plus in nanuet NY. they emailed me that they have multiple Fits today ( Tuesday), to"check OUt"
    I didn't get to ride-n-drive it. I'll check it out later today.
  • sclairesclaire Member Posts: 3
    i am almost positive i won't get mine for under msrp :( is anyone???
  • jpmccormacjpmccormac Member Posts: 98
    "i am almost positive i won't get mine for under msrp :( is anyone???"

Dream on. It's a seller's market. The Fit and Civic are in high demand. Might as well wait six or 12 months and let the dust settle.
    I just got back, from two dealers in the nyc metro area.
    1) they had the Fit allready for sale. ( 3 at both dealer ships)
    2) I got the first guy to offer me $200 OFF THE MSRP. So a Fit sport for $16325. Im sure if I commited, I could of got $300 off.
    The second for the MSRP. Both sold me on the popular and newness, But hey the car wasn't supposed to be on sale until Thursday.

Be patient, Bargain, walk out. Dont walk in like sucker and you will be dealt with fairly

They wont be as popular as everyone thinks.
    The Fit is in super-high demand right now because of limited quantities. But the Civic is available at large discounts in some cities, e.g. saw a Chicago ad today for a '06 Civic LX 4-door automatic with spoiler and flaps, over $18k list, for $16,295. Problem with waiting on the Fit is that there will be lots fewer of those available compared to Civics.
  • mebmanmebman Member Posts: 100
    I just got back from my dealer and am so mad I could spit nails. We all have accepted the dissapointments of no cvt, lower than expected mpg, and higher than expected msrp. But when I got to my dealer to pick up my Fit he offered me 1200$ less than blue book trade-in value. My car is in MINT condition and they wouldn't have to do a thing to make 2000$ on it by offering me NADA blue book trade-in value. After doing the back and forth game to the manager for a very LONG time they came up to 1000$ less than blue book trade-in.
    I understand that they should make a profit, but to pay MSRP, and get 1000$ less than blue book trade-in , and to have to spend hours in this mind numbing back and forth game that they play is just wrong. Dealers are such scumbags!
    Enough is enough I got up and left.
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    Wow, Meb... that really sucks the big tailpipe. Is there at least a CarMax near you that you could see what they'd give you for it?