Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 350

Comments

• mss443mss443 Member Posts: 10
    Yes.. it does play both MP3 and WMA CDs. Yes.. there is iPod integration available which will show the text on the display panel.
  • mss443mss443 Member Posts: 10
    For 36 months lease of RX 350 with Premium Plus and Navigation unit, through Lexus Financial, the dealer says the residual will be 0.59. (Price: $41,138) For 15,000 miles, it is 0.57. But, for a vehicle with FACTORY-INSTALLED Rear Seat Entertainmen System,he says the residual will be 0.55. (Price: $42,780). If it is an after-market DVD, I can understand. Since it is a FACTORY-INSTALLED unit why accelerated depreciation? Can anyone shed some thoughts and share their experience? This is a good dealership in Central New Jersey.
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    Since the MRSP charges for $2,000 on it the depreciation of RES itself is faster compared to rest of the car. They want you to bear more cost on the RES during the lease.
    You are better off getting separate LCD units that you can hang off the back the headset, they are less than $500.
  • suntradersuntrader Member Posts: 2
    I just paid $1800 below invoice!

2007 Lexus RX 350 has MRSP of 43023, invoice of 39473, and I paid 37,679!

Good luck to those planning to buy!
  • bigbadbuffbigbadbuff Member Posts: 3
    they let you eat into all but $200 of their holdback? Lucky.
  • lvn098lvn098 Member Posts: 26
    Suntrader,

From where did you get the car at that price? Thx
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A couple of people are trying to find out similar info in the Lexus RX 350: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion, and that's probably a better place to hang out for deal info.
    "n a surprising move for the Lexus brand, prices on many of the popular options on the 2007 Lexus RX 350 have been slashed by as much as $940."

Brand Drops Prices on 2007 RX350 Options (Inside Line)
  • jbgoldbejbgoldbe Member Posts: 1
    Please let me know where you purchased this vehicle! The best price I am getting is $500 over invoice in the Chicago area.
    Thank you.
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    I saw the little MP3 logo by the slot for the
    CD player on my test drive car. So I believe
    it does have MP3 capability.
    Well, it takes me about a decade to buy a new car too. Here's the latest on the RX 350. For 2009. :shades:

First Look: 2009 Lexus RX SUV (Inside Line)

Wow, this looks really interesting. Gives me
    something to look forward to when the lease on
    my 2007 RX is up in 2010!
    P.S. Picked up my new car this morning. The
    more I drive it, the more I realize I made the
    right choice. I've owned several cars over the
    last 20 years and I've got to say so far nothing comes close to the build quality of the
    Lexus products. I can't believe how well
    executed everything in this car is. Now I
    understand why this is Lexus's top-selling
    vehicle!!
  • bosi77bosi77 Member Posts: 37
    If I was anyone looking to buy a lexus RX350 I would wait to compare it to the Lincoln MKX coming out next month
  • gnu892gnu892 Member Posts: 9
    I heard somewhere that the RX350 has some kind of ambient lighting, as well as some light in the footwells and cupholders? Just thought I'd ask an owner since we've only tested during the day. I'm gonna miss the halo of light when I get rid of my E320.
  • glarry1glarry1 Member Posts: 13
    "The price on the vehicle's performance package has been slashed by $940 and is now $4,055."

Ummm....so when and where did the Performance Package actually become available?
    Every time I ask I hear there's no such animal available in the U.S.!
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    Yes, there is lighting in the footwells and center console cupholders! I believe the price reductions on the popular options packages ended Sept. 5 or thereabouts.

Pete :)
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    You have to special order it ~ I placed an order on July 13 and was told just last week that it'd be in by the end of October! Go figure!
  • rx350canuckrx350canuck Member Posts: 2
    I took delivery of my RX350 in June and have had it back to dealer 3 times to try to get it to stop pulling to the right while driving. I always had to hold it against pressure - like in a cross wind - even if there was no wind. Anyone else had this trouble? I have over 7000 KM (4400 Miles) so far and really like it except for the steering troubles. Dealer swapped tires to other side, adjusted alignment twice even though it was 'in spec'. Haven't been out without wind since last attempt to see if it is corrected now.

Thanks for advice :(
  • la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    I assume you already tried test-driving on roads with the crown opposite from where you normally drive. If this is so, I would try making an appointment ahead with the service manager at another dealership.

I found this to be a very effective method to get things finally corrected that a previous Lexus service department was very politely "helping" with under warrantee and getting paid by Lexus to complete, but did not ever effectively complete the repairs. Just kept going back there for ineffective but polite non-service, until I called and told a different service manager how much work was on each warrantee ticket, and still ineffective help.

I never gave them a hard time and gave the manager several chances to make each problem right, but I never go back to the dealership that's close to work now.
  • rx350canuckrx350canuck Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the suggestion la4mead. I have monitored the pulling when driving on 4-lane divided highways - when I am in left lane with left crown, it has almost been no drifting - then cross back into right lane, drift to ditch on right.

I don't have many options fo rdealerships here - my nearest dealer where I purchsed and have had the service is 1 hour away. Next closest is 2 hours - so I'd prefer to not have to travel there - but if I still have the drifting - when I can trst it without wind - I'll have to try the further dealer.
    Finally got some solid info on the Performance Pkg.!

Requires a Special Order and about 60 days for delivery.

Based on conversations w Kuni Lexus in Denver, CO.
  • mb280mb280 Member Posts: 27
    I have had my RX330 since July 2004. From the beginning the car wandered ever so slightly. A year later the dealer adusted the cam. It is a bit better now. I replaced the original tires with the Bridgestone Alienzas--also a small improvement.

Unfortunately, if the RX is what Lexus is all about, I doubt that I would purchase another one. My wife's 1999 Mercedes ML320 while more truckish gives one a much more secure feeling when driving. Even my 1994 C Class with almost 200,000 miles feels safer.

What I found most intriging was that the RX with 4wd nevertheless hydroplanes consistently in heavy downpours. My other cars do not.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • bobc6bobc6 Member Posts: 1
    I'd like to connect my iPOd to my Lexus RX350. When I wrote to Lexus they said they do not offer an aftermarket product that the dealer can install. Does anyone have experience using an aftermarket product for their RX350? When I checked with Best Buy they did not have one for the '07 RX so I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions.
    Thanks,
    BobC6
  • clemdiaclemdia Member Posts: 10
    Did you ever decide on anything? Any feedback? Curious about the same thing -- best way to connect iPod --
    Google found the Part# IPBCK Scosche iPod Car Transmitter & Receiver Kit, seems like this would probably work on the RX350:
    Scosche

Has your RX350 w Performance Package arrived yet?

Or, does end of October mean November 1st?
  • kutrakutra Member Posts: 8
    I took my RX 350 for a 6mo/5000miles service last week. Since then I am noticing some oil leakage under my RX350 when it is parked. I touched the puddle of liquid and it definitely is an oily liquid; definitely not the condensed water from the air conditioning unit. I have driven about 50 miles since my service but the "engine oil less" light or any other indicator hasn't come on as yet. Any idea what this oil could be and where it's from? What should my next steps be?

Thanks,
    Kutra
    I would return to the dealer and have them inspect their work, you are under full warranty.

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    You may be looking at a $1100 bill to replace the rear main engine seal. Our 92 LS400 once came back from Lexus of Bellevue after an oil and filter change with an engine oil leak.

Best explanation I ever heard was that most likely the crankcase was overfilled and then run that way for a period of time until the seal blew.
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    It has finally arrived on Friday, October 13 (exacly three months after my inital order) ~ but, to make a long story short, I wound up with the 07 Acura MDX instead!

The dealership is gracious enough to give me back my deposit (mainly because it has taken so long) and if you're looking for an 07 RX350 with the Performance Package ~ there's one waiting for you at Silver Spring, Maryland!
  • kutrakutra Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for your replies. I took the RX350 to the dealer who serviced it. The service agent said that it was engine oil...the technician did not tighten the drain plug correctly and hence the oil leaked. They have fixed it now. And they will also be giving me a complimentary 10,000 miles service since I had to return because of their fault.

I did ask them if there was any engine damage because of the low oil level. They said there was none. Not sure whether to believe them or what I can do about this. Any ideas?

Regards,
    Kutra
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Lexus RX 300/330/350
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • tjinlatjinla Member Posts: 2
    We have a RX350 that is about 4 months old and the air conditioner smells when used. We had the same problem with our RX330 and we had a big fight to get Lexus to resolve the problem by injecting a cleaner into the system. Is there something inherently wrong with the system that makes this continuing problem? We love these cars but the smelly air conditioner ruins the experience.
    Have you tried examining and/or changing the cabin air filter?

Yes, there is "something" inherently wrong...!!

In Spades!

The first thing WRONG is that these climate control system are designed by NipponDenso, ne Denso US. These designs are inherently flawed in too many ways to quickly list.

First, go to Lexus and have them set a few of the c-best options to other than the factory's (stupid Denso engineer's) default position.

1. Set the C-best option that will give you the ability to indefinitely disable the A/C compressor's operation by simply turning it off one time. The A/C will not be enabled again, through multiple restarts, until you turn it back on manually.

2. Set the c-best option that "unlinks" the A/C from operating automatically, with no indication, no indicator lit, in 3D mode, Defrost/Defog/Demist.

For many years I always disconnected my A/C compressor clutch connection during the winter months. The possibility of the A/C being efficient in dehumidifying the incoming airflow during the winter months is a TOTAL wildcard. Actually WORSE that that, you're more likely to draw aces and eights than any safe hand.

3. It is my understanding that as of more recent times, RX350, there is yet another c-best option that will help out. Apparently there is now a c-best option that can be set to prevent the system from automatically switching from heating mode (primarily footwell outflow with a goodly level of "leakage" of airflow to the windshield to help keep its interior surface above dewpoint), into cooling mode, cool and dry airflow to the face and upper body and NO warming airflow to the windshield, DANGEROUS, in a cool or cold climate, that!

My most recent test drive of a new RX seemed to indicate that even more progress has been made. Unless I miss my guess it appeared to me that while the airflow temperature was not raised significantly the blower speed was raised when I switched into 3D mode after the system had automatically switched to cooling mode on a rather COLD day.

Progress...S..L...O.....W......L.......Y.

1989: "The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection."

1999: "The Passionate Pursuit of Perfection."

Soon after purchasing my new 1992 LS400 I learned that the best way to prevent the dirty gym socks odor from the A/C was to roll the windows down slightly each and every night as it sat in the garage.

Over a period of time I made several modifications to the 92 LS that helped to prevent the odor problem, the propensity for the windshield to fog over suddenly, and increase, dramatically, the ability to more quickly defog/demist the interior surface of the windshield.

The A/C in the 92 LS400 is disabled if the OAT declines below ~35F. I modified the OAT sensor such that at ~45F actual temperature its signal indicated to the climate control ECU that it was nearly freezing outside. MY 1992 LS400 therefore NEVER runs the A/C if the outside temperature is predominantly 45F or below.

Since the stupid Denso engineers decided to use, EXCLUSIVELY, (??!!) the dehumidification capability of the A/C to prevent, or even remove, windshield fogging, and since having that capability was therefore an absolute wildcard, I had to come up with a more reliable method of accomplishing this.

So I added a "hidden" switch that when flipped "on" adds a resistance, ~300 ohms, in series with the IAT sensor. If I notice that the windshield is beginning to fog over I first flip the switch and then activate the 3D mode. The additional resistance in the IAT circuit makes the climate control ECU "think" the passenger cabin has suddenly gotten colder and so it reverts to a SERIOUS level of heating, while simultaneously increasing the blower speed.

Apparently the climate control firmware in my 2001 AWD does not allow (presumably some digital signal processing was added) "sudden" changes in the IAT sensor output. Additionally, modifying the OAT signal to prevent A/C operation during predominantly cool/cold weather also resulted in an incorrect OAT readout on the Nav display.

So I have had to resort to other methods, modifications.

There is now an additional microprocessor in my 2001 AWD RX300's climate control system. When I switch to 3D mode the up/down temperature set signals are "intercepted". When the new microprocessor "sees" that the system has been put in 3D mode it automatically raises the temperature setpoint to MAX HEAT. That, of course, results in the blower speed quickly going to maximum speed.

So when, anytime, I put the system in 3D mode I virtually instantly get lots, TONS, of heated airflow to the interior surface of the windshield.

Discomforting, yes, in spades, but much better then the alternative, possibly leading to an early grave, provided by Denso. Now I have the ability, once the windshield is mostly or completely defogged, to modulate the temperature setpoint while remaining in 3D mode.

Once I return the system to normal mode the new microprocessor will return the setpoint to the temperature it was just before activating 3D mode.

Go to airsept.com and read up on their EED, Electronic Evaporator Dryer. Many Ford dealers, due to A/C odor complaints such as yours, will modify, with Ford's blessing and expense, the A/C system using this same EED.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Tjinla, I've only experienced that unpleasant
    smell once in my RX350, and I've had the car
    since August. I was on vacation in the mountains at the end of October and I believe
    I was trying to "defog" the windows when I got
    a whiff of that nasty smell.
  • tjinlatjinla Member Posts: 2
    Had the filter changed on the last RX and that lasted for a couple of weeks before it started smelling again.
    I think I saw somewhere that the newer LS series has a UV light within the A/C plenum area to "kill-off" the microbes that cause the mold and mildew odor due to the "leavings".

I have a 12 volt version, UV light source and air circulation fan, in our MH for the same reason. About the size of two cigarette packs end to end.

Seems to work.
  • rpacrpac Member Posts: 83
    THIS IS COPY OF EMAIL I SENT TO STEVE. I AM POSTING HERE SO THAT MORE PEOPLE COULD READ IT. THANKS!

Hello Steve - I'm kind of new to this forum stuff but I really desperately need some help. I originally posted some of my problems in post#1356, 1363 under the RX330. Now I am back to square one.
    Just a week ago I traded in a blue RX350 for a bamboo RX350 with full entertainment system. Something I have wanted for a long time and I sunk every dime I had into this car. Now I find that some of the same things are happening that have happened to my previous RX330's. (My previous blue RX350 ran perfectly). I would take it back but I think they sold it.
    This is what is happening. During the day, (I live in L.A.) warm climate the car runs perfectly. No problems. As soon as the weather changes, i.e.: I park the car and go to a restaurant for dinner. The temperature when I come out is about 65. The car runs smoothly but now a louder than normal groan/humming sound is coming from where I don't know.

Until I tried switching off the a/c. The noise stopped. I took it to dealer. I asked if it was a serious engine problem or perhaps the a/c condenser? They didn't know because it was warm and they could not duplicate the noise, but would check with a fact rep soon. I am really worried this time. If it's the condenser, hell I'll pay for it. But why does this happen when outside temp changes? Next week we are supposed to have cooler weather and I expect this problem will continue all the time then. It's very embarrassing to listen to this noise when passengers in the car ask what is wrong. I really love the car but cant see living it with this problem forever.
    I just don't understand I guess. I mean when I switch the a/c off it stops. So I guess it may be the condenser. I don't know. Yet while listening very carefully I think, I mean I think it is coming from the right side if the engine. This is just a guess is all.
    One other strange thing. When I sit in the driver's seat of course I hear the noise. If I put my head down like trying to get underneath the instrument panel I cannot hear the noise! So maybe it has something to do with other components near the top of the engine. I just don't know.
    I hope I am emailing you in order and I am sorry for taking any of your valuable time, but I am really at the end of my rope now. Considering I am 73 and somewhat sick I thought this car would last me until I die, but I don't know. I just don't know.

Thanks so much Steve, for any help you can give me, and I am very sorry to be bothering you like this.
    Ron (rpac)
    Mr. Wwest - Please be so kind as to view my post #198. I emailed Steve and he suggested I post in this area for possible answers. I will also post in the RX350 Climate Control area as well.
    Thanks so much for any help you may be able to give me as it is much appreciated.
    Ron
    (rpac)
    What you are most likely hearing in your NEW Lexus is the air conditioner's compressor. Lexus has recently switched compressor types/designs. The new one is of a variable displacement using a "swash plate" concept to continuously vary the pumping volume within the range of minimum to maximum.

So while this new compressor still uses an electromagnetic clutch to engage/disengage engine drive, it does not use the clutch to cycle the compressor on and off as a function of refrigerant "demand", useage.

The old style compressor's output volume increased with engine RPM just as does your power stearing pump, usually creating TONS more volume/flow that was really necessary.

The new compressor's pump volume/flow can remain constant virtually regardless of engine RPM, increasing the efficiency substantially.

On the other hand your power stearing pump's fully pressurized excess volume/flow must be bypassed back into the sump, wasting HUGE amounts of energy at sustained high engine RPM levels.

Electric power stearing is now putting that loss to bed.

Variable displacement A/C compressor will also reduce energy losses.

Ford has just announced that the new Ford Edge will even have a variable displacement ATF pump for solving the FWD throttle lag, 1-2 second downshift delay/hesitation, while at the same increasing the transaxle's efficiency greatly.

FORD....!

Oh, you might want to go to your dealer and have them remove/change some of the factory c-best settings such that A)the A/C can be disabled indefinitely, B) and is unlinked from automatic operation in defrost/defog/demist mode, C)and prevent the system from automatically switching into cooling mode when the "human comfort equation" resides on the coolish side already.

This latter one will not only remove the discomfort resulting from coolish and dry airflow blowing into your face it will also help to keep the interior windshield surface warm, hopefully always above dewpoint.
    Thank you so very much for your most detailed answer to my a/c noise. However, I have one further question that puzzles me. Why does the noise appear ONLY when the temp outside starts to drop to the 60's?
    Hot outside, no noise!
    Thank you again - you are one in a million! Make that $64 million
    Ron
    When its coolish outside the variable displacement compressor probably runs at it lowest volume, at least most of the time. Also there could be some sort of mechanical resonance, sympathetic vibrations, involved. Anti-resonance tuning (balance shafts..) is relatively easy when "noises" follow the engine RPM as it rises and falls, but when it doesn't...

The climate control ECU "wants" to keep the A/C cooling evaporator as close to freezing as is possible, typically ~35F, without actually reaching the 32F freezing level. Obviously this would take less refrigerant flow as the OAT gets lower and lower and/or the system blower speed is reduced due to the passenger cabin being (already) near the setpoint and thereby not really needing much cooling capacity.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    I have not encountered this noise, such as you
    describe, in my RX350, and I've been driving
    in some cooler temperatures.
    Okay! What happened to the edit button?
    Anyway, I wish to add that I have not noticed
    any type of noise whether it's been cool outside or hot.
    Your missing edit button is probably related to the user name bug that crops up now and then - note that your first post has no byline. Apologies - this has been an especially difficult bug to figure out.
    Sorry, an oversight on my part...

"....not really needing much cooling capacity."

Unless you over-ride the A/C to off or have had the dealer remove the default c-best settings the A/C compressor will operate all year around except at OAT's of 35F or below.

"...not really needing much cooling or heating capacity."