Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus RX 350

Comments

• Options
    jav08jav08 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks maximafan, but the funny thing is that I live in Southern CA, so I guess that I should have named it something other than "cold" start, but it tends to occur anytime that the car has been turned off for more than 8 hours or so. Our mornings have been colder lately (for SoCal), so hopefully when the temps go up, it will be less noticeable.
  • Options
    catdaddylongcatdaddylong Member Posts: 53
    Just bought a 2008 AWD RX 350 that has the roof rails and crossbars. I am thinking of buying the Thule Luggage bag that straps on the roof rails. My question is, do you place the bag on top of the crossbars or do you place the bag in between the cross bars and place a protective cushion between the roof and the bag so the roof does not get scratched ? I read on another forum that those rolls of foam with the waffle holes like you line shelves with or tool boxes work real good to keep the clear coat and paint from being scratched.
  • Options
    I guess I'll answer my own question. Found several web sites that have PDF installation instructions. You sit the cargo bag down betweent the cross bars and side rails and then attach the front and back of the bag to the cross bars and the sides of the bag to the side rails. I am going to buy the foam material to place between the roof and the bottom of the bag to protect the paint from being scratched. Hope this helps somebody else that has this question.
  • Options
    maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    jav08, I live in Florida, so I know what you mean. But I still find that little bit of noise after I start the car first thing in the morning and then after it's warmed up, it goes away. I'm so used to it by now that I don't think about it much.
  • Options
    Yes. The weight capacity is 165 lbs and the center of gravity is raised with more weight on the roof but that doesn't answer my question.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Did you read the label regarding roof and/or roof rack weight limit??

It also pertains to safety with regard to rollover susceptability.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ...weight capacity is 165 lbs and the center of gravity is raised …

That works out to the center of gravity being raised by about one and half inches - I wouldn't worry too much about that. :)

However, I do not know the answer to your original question.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    edschereredscherer Member Posts: 1
    I too drive an RX-350 and let me share a story regarding Mazda. In 1987 I purchased a new Mazda 323 LX with 5 speed transmission. At just over 24k miles (when the warranty expired) a main bearing in the transmission failed and the transmission had to be rebuilt - at my expense. At approximately 60k miles the same bearing problem repeated itself and I took the car to my dad's mechanic who rebuilt the transmission for the 2nd time. The mechanic was perplexed to see the bearing failure and investigated the case of the transmission carefully to find a casting defect in which one of the lubrication ports was obstructed and that was the cause of the bearing failure. I started a letter writing campaign and got to a Sr. Vice President - I don't recall her name. I argued that this was a manufacturing defect that was present when the car was new and the initial failure occurred just a few hundred miles out of warranty. She characterized this expense approaching 3,000.00 "routine maintenance" and informed me that any further action on my part would meet with strong resistance from Mazda's legal team and pointed out that Mazda has much deeper pockets than I. At that point I vowed to NEVER purchase another Mazda and have subsequently owned Hondas, a Toyota and 3 Lexii. Mazdas are cheaper to purchase but when you need manufacturer support my experience is that Mazda is in a league of its own - and I don't say this in a positive way. While a couple thousand dollars less to purchase than a similarly equipped Toyota or Honda, items like brake pads, filters, etc., are significantly more expensive (at least they were in 1987) than Honda and Toyota. Its your money but if I were you I would stick with a Toyota or Honda or even Nissan product because when that Mazda is out of warranty even by a mile if it needs a significant repair due to a manufacturer's defect you will be SOL. The CX-9 is a nice looking vehicle and I bet more fun to drive than my RX350 but I bet the RX will be rolling many more years and miles than the CX at a total cost of ownership below that of the Mazda. Truth be told I would much rather drive a reliable vehicle like the Lexus for the reasons stated above. Good luck if you ever do have dealings with Mazda executives because you will need it. Regards, Ed
  • Options
    ladydriver123ladydriver123 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone already own a 2009 RX? I am looking to buy in April and wonder what I can expect to pay for the AWD vehicle with the Premium Plus Pkg. My dealer already has stock in the 2009's and wants me to buy now so he can get me a "great deal".
  • Options
    My front passenger side floor mat does not have hooks to hold it in place like the driver's side or the two floor mats in the back seat. Are all the 2008 RX350's this way or do I need to get the dealer to fix this ?
  • Options
    I'm really not worried about the center of gravity either. I think some people forget that the RX is a SUV and I plan to use mine for more than going to the grocery store or Wal-Mart ;) I plan on hauling my dog to the duck lease, pulling a light boat for fishing and use it to transport me to the Elk woods. Granted these situations will probably make up about 5% of my driving, the other 95% I want to be comfortable and arrive in style so to speak. I think I answered my own question on #412 of 418. If anyone else has other idea's I would appreciate it.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    It isn't your, or anyone's normal driving style that is a problem with the rollover issue, the problem is, occurs, when you use a quick evasive maneuver to avoid an accident.
  • Options
    Pete, thanks for the confirmation. I called the Lexus dealer and had them go look at several on the lot. They said the the same thing. What is surprising they had to go look. You would think this question would have come up before.
  • Options
    pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    My 2007 RX has the hooks only on the driver's side, presumably the 2008 is the same!

Pete :)
  • Options
    Just looked under the hood of my 2007 RX350 to examine the air cleaner filter after 20K miles. I believe my 1999 RX300 had metal clips to release the cover but this apparently requires the removal of several hex head bolts. Embossed in the plastic is FOR AIR CLEANER SERVICE SEE OWNER'S MANUAL. Unfortunately not a word to be found therein on this subject. Is the filter indeed accessed by removing the several bolts and is this a DIY project? Any cautions or caveats to be observed? TIA

Pete :(
  • Options
    I have had my new RX for a week and it has had a viberating rattle coming from the middle dashboard area where the Radio, CD player and Outside Temp, etc are located. I plan on having the dealer fix this when I take it back in after a month for the personalized settings appointment. Has anybody else had a rattle in this area and was it corrected to your satisfaction ?
  • Options
    Edscherer, I will agree with you that right now, in my opinion, there isn't any CUV out right now that does everything as nicely as the Lexus RX. I also drove a 1988 Mazda RX-7 back in the late eighties. I drove it for almost seven years with no major problems except new clutch and tires and A/C compressor that occurred just before I decided to trade it in on a 4-door car. So I must say my experience with Mazda was the opposite of your experience. But everyday is a delight in my RX350, expecially with the satellite radio on or a great CD!! (By the way, I've noticed that the base sound system on the Lexus RX sounds very good when playing CD's!
  • Options
    #423 of Feb 26, 08; anybody?
    Just looked under the hood of my 2007 RX350 to examine the air cleaner filter after 20K miles. I believe my 1999 RX300 had metal clips to release the cover but this apparently requires the removal of several hex head bolts. Embossed in the plastic is FOR AIR CLEANER SERVICE SEE OWNER'S MANUAL. Unfortunately not a word to be found therein on this subject. Is the filter indeed accessed by removing the several bolts and is this a DIY project? Any cautions or caveats to be observed? TIA

Pete :(
  • Options
    I called the dealer and told him about my dashboard rattle and he suggested that I drive the vehicle until I get 5000 miles on it and bring it in for the free oil change and if I still have the rattle they will address it then. He said a lot of times these rattles will work themselves out but this subtle vibrating rattle is starting to drive me crazy and I only have a 175 miles on the RX so far. I don't know if I can last that long. I also was reading on the RX330 maintenance and repair and a lot of people had this same rattle in their Lexus. Some mentioned an anti rattle kit that can be installed for the dash. Anybody ever heard of this ?
  • Options
    chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    http://www.lambros.net/tsib/2007LS/L-NV005-06.pdf
    Looks like the lower pin location matches for your RX.

Lexus quality begins to go down the tube.
    I can't believe they carry this issue over many years and for
    many models.
    I wished I saw this TSIB before I purchased my GS350.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Chuck. When I take it in for them to fix the rattle I will suggest that the lower pin on the windshield may be the source of the problem. I can see now why the service mgr was not to eager for me to have this done at my 30 day personal setting appointment and suggested if I still had the rattle at 5000 miles they would address the issue then at my free complimentary oil change. I also have an 2005 ES330 that is quite as a mouse and before that I owned a 1995 ES300 that also was very quite with no rattles. I drove my 2000 BMW Z3 this weekend (it's a garage queen) and it's a true sports car that does not have any rattles. You can imagine how on a brand new vehicle and especially a Lexus how irritated I am about this. I do have confidence that the dealer will resolve this issue as I will just drive a courtesy car until they fix it.
  • Options
    Just curious but how many here have driven their RX off road ? I like to hunt and fish but I also like the luxury and smooth ride the RX gives in 95% of the driving I do. However, the other 5 % I will use it for hunting, fishing, camping and taking my dog to field trials. This will entail some off road driving. Any body have any problems with traction in mud, snow, rocky terrain?
  • Options
    prazpraz Member Posts: 163
    My ES350 was in service for 10,000mile and also for rattles in dash and rear. I was given a RX350 w/nav as a loaner. I would like view my pros and cons:

Pros:
    Smooth ride
    Easy access
    Nice dash layout
    Rear Leg room
    Fuel Economy
    Design stands out even though it is pretty old
    Nav (sometimes did not recognize it's location) and back up camera are good

Cons:
    Limited front leg room
    Cannot view the traffic lights when sun visor is down
    Uncomfortable arm rests
    Door handle made my knee uncomfortable
    Rattles in dash and rear
    Cheap interior materials
    Too many on the road

I had it for a week and hence spent some quality time with it.
  • Options
    napanapa Member Posts: 6
    We just came back form the dealership, and almost ready to buy. One issue - please do not laugh, but a major factor in selecting new car's model is getting a small SUV/crossover that will allow us to put our two dogs in the cargo section with a pet barrier so they and thier fur stays in the back. All the salesman say no problem, just go to the pet store, but has anyone out there installed one in the Lexus 350 and had it work and stay in place?
  • Options
    Weather Guard makes a pet barrier that will work. Personally I think the plastic Kennels you can buy or better as they keep your dog in a contained spot that would be safer in an emergency stop or accident. I have a beagle and a lab and carrying them in a kennel has been no problem.
  • Options
    drolopdrolop Member Posts: 1
    I have the same rattle in my RX 350. Has your's been fixed?
  • Options
    Not yet. I am going to have the problem addressed at my first 5000 mile oil service which is free. I talked to the service manager today as it has been 30 days since I bought my RX 350 and today I was scheduled for my personal settings service. I had a dental appointment after the Lexus service as they said it might take several hours to fix the problem. At the 5000 mile service I will arrange for a loaner and they said they would fix it then if I could stand to wait that long (I only have about 450 miles after 1 month). I don't hear the vibration rattle if I have radio or the CD playing. If I don't have the radio on you can hear the faint vibration rattle coming from somewhere in the center dash area behind the radio, air vents, when you encounter a rough road or hit some bumps. On a smooth road you may not hear it. It is not that bad but it is irritating and it is something you might expect from a Ford but not a Lexus ( I owned a Ford Explorer before I bought the Lexus).
  • Options
    prazpraz Member Posts: 163
    There is a TSB for fix rattles in ES and RX.
  • Options
    fry2fry2 Member Posts: 3
    I had a problem for a brand new RX 350 AWD. 2K mile too. Strange sound when changing gear from R to D especially in the morning when the engine is cold. I am in CA. Dealers said it is "normal" and may be gone after more driving. Frustrated with this considering a $40K + Lexus. Some $20K + SUV may not behave like this as you said. Don't know what to do and will drive more and see.
  • Options
    md_outbackmd_outback Member Posts: 185
    Please read this if you have a rattle coming from the rear cargo area of your RX: Several RX forum members have reported a rattle coming from somewhere in the rear cargo area, possibly caused by the retractable cargo area cover. I too had the same noise and mentioned this to my Lexus dealer. Their solution was to line all possible contact points with a stick-on felt material. Unfortunately this did not eliminate the rattle at all. The good news is that I recently noticed that the source of the rattling cargo cover may be vibrations from the rear seatbacks. I could actually see the vibration while looking in the rear view mirror. After some investigation I determined that the seat backs were vibrating because when I had returned the seats to their normal upright passenger position (after I had them folded forward for cargo), the carpet material on the back of the seat got bunched up between the seatback and the rear cargo floor. I simply (but carefully) tucked the carpet down so it didn't bunch up and the vibration and the rattle disappeared. My guess is that the bunched up carpet resulted in a slightly loose seatback latch, allowing the seatback to vibrate. This could have caused all kinds of inter-related vibrarions and rattles. Hope this fix works for you too.

MD
  • Options
    Md, was this on the 60 percent portion of the rear seatbacks on your RX that was rattling, the part that has the fold down middle
    console with cup holders? I have had issues with rattles coming
    from the 60 percent portion of my rear seatbacks. I've taken the
    car in in the past for the problem and it's only been temporarily fixed. As of right now I still have the rattle. I've ended up just keeping that portion of the rear seatback folded down so it doesn't annoy me.
  • Options
    md_outbackmd_outback Member Posts: 185
    maximafan,
    The vibration was a bit more pronounced on the 60% portion, though both seatbacks were visibly moving and both had the bunched-up carpet problem. I just have to remember to tuck in the carpet when I raise the seatbacks to the normal position.

MD
  • Options
    michaelmmmichaelmm Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know what the major differences are between the models 9424A vs 9424C?
  • Options
    Try Toyota Customer Support Line:
    1-877-762-7666
    5:30 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific Time
    Monday through Friday

• Options
    gregd1gregd1 Member Posts: 38
    Anyone know the differences between the 2008 and 2009 models?
    I have done a Vehicle compare on edmunds. but they seem the same

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/nvc/edmunds/VehicleComparison?styleid=100835459&styl- eid=100975629&maxvehicles=5&refid=&op=3&tab=specs
  • Options
    sethnagasethnaga Member Posts: 50
    I am looking at buying a 2009 RX 350 with Navi and Premium plus. Does it really matter what I choose - Made in Canada or Made in Japan? The Made in Japan comes only in Red color. The dealer was telling me that made in Canada has a better noise control compared to the one made in Japan

Thanks
  • Options
    ac2000ac2000 Member Posts: 36
    I purchased a new 09 RX350 last month. The car is almost perfect except the strong engine vibration (and thus noise) when i am backing out the garage every morning and heading back home after work. The vibration goes away when the engine is warm. There is also slight engine/trans vibration from the steering wheel. Took it to the dealer and they told me it is performing as designed. None of the cars i owen before behaved like RX.
  • Options
    tmakogontmakogon Member Posts: 74
    Last November we just opted for the '09 RX350 as a FWD (as 90% do), without navigation. I mounted a Sony NV-U83T unit with bluetooth and a fairly large 4.8 inch screen, which navigates for less money: $150 vs. $2650 factory.
    Here's a link to the photo:

www.geocities.com/makogon/rx350-sony-nvu83t.jpg
  • Options
    la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    As good as the Lexus factory nav may well be, it can't overcome a few obvious and important hurdles:

1. Very high initial, as well as potential repair/upgrade costs.
    2. Not portable for handheld or use in another vehicle.
    3. Live traffic overlay on portable units.

Oh well, you can't win 'em all.
  • Options
    EverythingirlEverythingirl Member Posts: 4
    Hi, just got an RX350 for an amazing deal :shades: . However, more amazing was that my old Nissan Altima had an aux. port for iPod connection and the luxurious Lexus I just got does not have an aux port!!! :confuse:

FM adapters are horrible so does anyone have a recommendation for how to add an aux port so I can play mp3 from my iPod? THANKS!!!!! :blush:
  • Options
    apollonia1apollonia1 Member Posts: 11
    Lexus sells one that I had added on at the dealership. Ipod goes in the glove compartment.
  • Options
    majormc47majormc47 Member Posts: 1
    How much did your dealer charge you for it, and more importantly, how well does it work? Like the poster Everythingirl, I'm sick and tired of wimpy little FM adapters.
  • Options
    Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    How about aftermarket backup camera? That's more useful for me.
  • Options
    The Roadmaster VR³ wireless back-up camera system is minimally satisfactory but the Lexus OEM in-dash unit is much superior. Look for model VRBCS335W which is the second generation version with a larger screen and adjustable camera angle.
    http://www.roadmasterusa.com/?page=cameras#VRBCS335W

• Options
    huey4huey4 Member Posts: 2
    tmakogon

Thanks for sharing the photo of the Sony NV-u83t mounted on the dash of your Lexus RX 350. Perfect location and looks great. But how did you mount it on that specific location of the dash? I realize the Sony unit includes a sunction mount, but that type of mount would seemingly not adhere to the several small buttons (eg clock hour and minute buttons) located on this part of the dash. I'd like to install a Sony or Garmin GPS in the same spot on my 2008 RX's dash but I remain unsure if a suction mount will securely hold the unit. Help!

Huey4
  • Options
    rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    Has anyone driven the 2010 Rx who can compare it to earlier models or just comment in general on the 2010 after driving it for at least a few hundred miles?
  • Options
    tyler70tyler70 Member Posts: 82
    Hi Steve:
    how much was it before the price drop ? and why did they drop the price (not like I complain but just wonder ) thanks
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    From the link:

"This is actually a $900 price reduction from the 2009 Lexus RX 350, which cost $38,525 in front-drive form and $39,925 with AWD."

Why the price drop? Who knows - market conditions most likely.
  • Options
    go99go99 Member Posts: 5
    I am new ( first post!) and have a problem with my 2007 RX350. When i get above 45mph I pick up a vibration directly over the driver. Seems to me that the only logical place is the roof rack, but i can't seem to figure out the cause.

Has anyone else experienced this?