Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus RX 350

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    cwaynecwayne Member Posts: 81
    My previous RXes seemed to run better on premium gas. (mayby my imagination). On my 2010 RX I filled my tank with mid-grade and the
    check engine light came on. I called the dealer and he said mayby a bad tank of gas, sure enough I filled with 93 and the light went off. I had used mid-grade before with no problem.
  • Options
    12thmonkey12thmonkey Member Posts: 10
    I have recently purchased a rx 350 -2013 with premium package. I like the interior but I noticed the hand rest in the backseat does not have a wood trim. But Lexus.com shows the back hand rest with a wood trim. My dealer insists that its a error on Lexus.com ; wondering if any of you guys have the same ?
  • Options
    12thmonkey12thmonkey Member Posts: 10
    I recently purchased a RX 350 premium package (Parchment/MapleI Interior. I noticed after I drove drove home that back seat hand rest does not have a wood trim as shown on Lexus.com.

Dealership's explanation is that lexus.com has a wrong image .

Appreciate a response from anyone who has a similar interior.
  • Options
    tlwannabetlwannabe Member Posts: 7
    Hello, everyone,

I have really enjoyed reading this forum and appreciate everyone's openness.

I'm in a position where my car has died on me and I'm going to need to purchase a new car. I had been researching cars anyway so I don't feel too stressed. I'm leaning toward a crossover or small/med SUV to purchase.

I'm trying to decide whether it's better to buy a fully loaded "regular" car (toyota highlander, ford edge, etc.) or spring for the luxury car. I've been looking the Audi Q5, BMW X3, Infiniti EX35 (or 37 for 2013) and the Lexus RX350. I can afford the luxury cars, but just wondering if it's worth it. I have driven them all and like the RX the best, followed by the EX35 and the Q5. Just trying to be smart about the purchase and think about long term effects like reliability, maintenance costs, etc.

What made you ultimately choose the RX350 during your selection process? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I purchased an RX300, '00, since it quite clearly has a functional F/awd system plus an actual LSD. I traded up to the '01 RX300 to get HID, VSC, and TC.

Big, BIG mistake...!

As of '01 the VC fluid was reformulated such that it always remained FLACCID, NEVER any substantual level of engine torque coupling to the rear...

EXCEPT.

After the fact, once the front driven wheels LOST traction, then TC would activate, simultaneously dethrottling the engine FULLY, and braking the front wheel to simulate traction. Yes, this serves to force engine torque through the fully open center diff'l but with the engine now idling they is virtually NO TORQUE at any wheel.

Since the TC system makes a VC totally useless Lexus dropped the VC from all future RXes.

Now, with the F/awd system fully non-functional Lexus finally caved to the owner outcry and provided a TC "off" capability. Now you could at least "feather" the throttle to get up and going on a slippery surface even with only the front wheels being driven.

My advise to you would be that you should take a serious look at the Toyota Venza w/I4 engine. The Venza actually preceded the RX350 in adopting a new F/awd system. You can easily modify the Venza to have the front wheels "freewheel" via an aftermarket TOAD kit. Then apply a constant 12 volts to the ear clutch and you have a RWD Venza
  • Options
    tmakogontmakogon Member Posts: 74
    Aftermarket gps units can be mounted on the dash with mounting tape (grey double-sided adhesive tape, sold in hardware stores such as lowes or homedepot in small rolls). Suction mount only works on glass and has to come off. All dashes differ in their shape so check if any component of the gps suction mount piece can be detached and reused to help install the navigation unit on the dash more securely. This unit stayed securely in place since the time of the original post (nearly four years) until replaced with another gps unit with more updated maps for 99 dollars.
  • Options
    pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    I use a bean-bag type mount which stays in place but can be easily concealed when not in use to thwart theft. :)
  • Options
    flash17flash17 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2013 2wd rx350 how would I get the snow track switch to the on position..
  • Options
    bulldogdiverbulldogdiver Member Posts: 8
    My short 85 year old mother had a wreck yesterday and we are now car shopping. I am interested in a crossover type vehicle that is low enough that she won't have to climb up to get in but is higher than a regular sedan so she won't have to pull herself up to get out. What is the height of the driver's seat from the roadway in the 2013/2014 RX 350?
  • Options
    guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    Hello everyone! I have been considering picking up an RX in the neighborhood of a 2004-2007. These have something in the neighborhood of 120-180k miles.

I need something that is quiet and isolated and all of my research shows nothing beats the Lexus RX. I never in a million years thought I would consider something that is relatively mushy with no feel for the road as I love to drive. However, I have chronic migraines and hyper-sensitivity to many inputs and everything I read indicates the RX offers the most isolation for an SUV.

I have been driving a Celica since 2000 and boy oh boy, try loading a drumset or heavy guitar amplifier into this hatchback with the high lift-over, aka one must bend way over to get the heavy objects into the vehicle. That has been deadly for me, and now I am old enough where such could actually finish me off :'(

I have a great independent mechanic and do not mind repairs & restoration. My experience is the used vehicle is always less expensive in the long run than a new vehicle. (I would not buy a new Lexus for sure, it would be something cheaper if I did buy new.) I have read everything about these vehicles and understood that a used vehicle may need a tranny, struts, power steering rack, or any combination of these.

I just read the 400H forums, and wow, scary! Those just seem to be too high risk. Even if the volume of complaints is relatively low, any $5,000 repair is something that would not make financial sense. So although I think the latest technology is very cool and wanted to participate, I cannot see buying a hybrid.

I love the black and white versions of the RX, and the black is best. This vehicle would need some mean aftermarket wheel to take some of the femininity out of the vehicle. That is doable.

The existing car is a problem. I don't have room for extra cars, but I would hate to sell it. I have kept it in perfect mechanical condition, replacing things as new along the way. That means the $4,000 market value makes selling it a poor financial move. Maybe I will keep it as the Sunday joy ride. Not sure how to work that out yet.

The thought crossed my mind to pick up a southern car. Nowadays I just plan on keeping vehicles forever, so taking a perfectly clean car and restoring the mechanicals makes a lot of sense. Although people do tend to keep their Lexus vehicles quite clean, given the battering and rust the wheels wells of my Celica have taken here in Ohio, the allure of a rust-free southern car is quite strong.