Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Top 10 Turnaround Tips for GM/Ford/Chrysler

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    well you have to let sales statistics speak for themselves, and they don't speak all that well for GM and Ford in particular.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    "However unless your rich, who can afford a new one(mercedes) ? "

Weren't you talking about buying an Escalade or CTS-V? Seems kind of ambitious for an under-30 security guard...are you rich?

The key is to let someone else eat that initial depreciation. For the price of a new CTS-V, I could buy an 04 model AND a C43 AMG....
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    I have wealthy in-laws that had a vacant 2200 sq. ft. house on a 473 acre farm where I currently live. Guess what happened to me last friday during the divorce medation. Well my MIL got our house during the divorce thus we have to move. :cry: I won't beable to afford a new Slade or CTS-V and is one of the reasons why I was holding off my purchase decision on a slade. Now I'm Joe-Six-Pack again with rent/mortgage and can't buy my dream vehicle :sick:

I went from classy to ashy :surprise: But I'll be alright. My Mother in-law was so happy to throw us out on the street all because of her bitterness torwards my wife having a good relationship with her dad. She is a sicko. She told us we had 2 days to move last friday at 8 p.m. Then she came back and wanted us out that night. :surprise: She was hugging my son, and we asked her why are you hugging and loving on him when you want to throw him out on the street tonight ? :surprise: She didn't say anything. She told her sister to look around and see what's in the house and she started to go through are stuff. My wife told her aunt you stop right there. We called the sheriff and the independant lawyer that held the mediation and asked him if she could legally throw us out tonight. He told her to contact her lawyer since he couldn't be involved. Well we contacted the judge saturday morning and asked how much time we have to move. She said 30 days. Well my MIL wanted the eviction papers served at work so I'd be fired and the judge said no. Why would you want to try to get your SIL fired from his job ? Well that place is mine now and I want them out. I contacted my employer that night to warn them of her threat. They said she is nuts and you've been living there for about 3 years. I've pumped money into this house and fixed alot of it up and she's going to be that mean and bitter torwards us ?

Well thankfully we found a place to live in Dumas Tx. I've lost all respect for my MIL. Would a normal person expect their kids to choose sides in a divorce ? My parents never did during their divorce thankfully.

So fintail, I will be rich someday. Not for awhile though :D Maybe 2030 CTS-V :P or a good used 2007 CTS-V in 2012.

Rocky
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    I feel really bad for you, man! Who's your MIL? Livia Soprano? Maybe you should simply throw a bucket of water on her and she'd melt! Your post makes a good argument against marriage. That's why I'm still single after all these years. It's too much of a risk to get married this day in age. If any government wants to promote so-called "family values," they should either outlaw divorce or make it extremely hard to obtain. The kids always suffer the most. What does your son think of Grandma now? My parents are still together after 42 years. If they could do it, anybody could!
    Hire all of us as board of executives to make Cars, Trucks, SUV's, Vans, Wagons, CUV's, that every person would want to own. ;)

Rocky
    I feel really bad for you, man! Who's your MIL? Livia Soprano? Maybe you should simply throw a bucket of water on her and she'd melt! Your post makes a good argument against marriage. That's why I'm still single after all these years. It's too much of a risk to get married this day in age. If any government wants to promote so-called "family values," they should either outlaw divorce or make it extremely hard to obtain. The kids always suffer the most. What does your son think of Grandma now? My parents are still together after 42 years. If they could do it, anybody could!

I'd take Livia for a MIL over my current one. Marriage works when 2 people aren't quiters, but when one in the marriage is a few quarter panels short, of being a fully built car, then your going to have problems. ;) My son is only 2, and daughter 6 months, but my son saw mom crying and getting yelled at by grandma, and was yelling back at his nutty grandma. :( I interuppted her, and pointed this out to her.

Well I'm glad your parents are blessed to last that long. I'm going to do everything in my power to reach 50 years "god willing" ;) You have to have a connection with your potential spouse before you get married. My wife and I have our ups and downs, and sometimes we have to take our differences to the shop to be repaired. ;)
    (talking it out) 3 1/2 yrs. and going strong for us. :shades:

Well back on subject:

I do see GM, Ford, Chrysler, turning the ship around. They all have to keep Quality at the highest level, while making fashionable cars. They all need products for each segment. I however feel GM is taking the solictice idea a lil' to far. Soltice, Sky, Stingray, and maybe a Saab knock-off ?????? GM might be making a huge blunder here. I just hope I'm wrong on this badge engineering, otherwise GM in 5 years will have to start cutting this line-up too.

Rocky
    I'm in between a Rock and a hard place now on my next car. :cry: I was dead set on a new 07' CTS-V as my next but probably won't beable to afford it now. I'm going to have to perhaps limit myself to a under $40K car, but still want a sedan and the fun factor of the CTS-V.

Any suggestions ????.....I guess can wait and see what the 6 speed LS-2 G8 is going to look like for sure, I guess. :sick:

Rocky
    Ah that's a shame, sorry I brought it up. Cases like that explain why hitmen were created.

But hey, if typical GM style residuals keep up, you could still afford one of those in a few years. Local Caddy dealer has an 05 CTS-V for 39K...at that rate...
    It's alright pal. My wife and I will be better off in the long run. The house we live in now was suppose to be part of our inheritance from my in-laws when they were still married. So we made it our home and I never thought my MIL would give up so much to my FIL during the divorce mediation just to get this property. My FIL got more then he ever thought over her wanting to kick us out. I guess it benefited him greatly. Moving away from here does have it's benefits. We can get unlimited long distance once again(telephone) and I'm 25 miles one-way closer to work. We also won't have a $409 dollar gas bill for heat living in the "country" or a $200+ electric bill. ;) We can avoid the energy [non-permissible content removed]'s that charge out the butt for utility's. But yes my overall cost of living will go up thus resulting in some cuts like premium of new car. I guess like the Big 3 I will have to "downsize" my next car choice until my wife get's her degree. I want to buy GM since I get a employee discount and of course many in my family work for them. Unfortunatly the best car for the money in my opinion perhaps would be a Acura TL 6-speed w/Navi and VR, but I'm not sure if I dare open that can of worms again. ;)

Hopefully GM will build a car in the near future that both my wife and I want to own as much as the new 07' CTS-V.

Rocky

P.S. the mexican mafia idea crossed my FIL mind. ;)
    If you really want a car, the base Lucerne doesn't look bad to me. I saw one at the Philly Auto Show and I certainly wouldn't be ashamed to be seen in it. I would probably keep the Seville in that case than trade it. I'd get rid of the Park Ave. Insurance costs would get out of hand keeping all 3 of my cars and adding one. The Brougham is with me for life.
    lemko, The Lucerne is a very nice car. I want something on the Sporty Side with all the bells and whistles. A Acura TL like GM car would be perfect. :cry: Lots of luxury and sport ;) Maybe the G8 ? :sick: The "TL" is in my budget at a hair over $36K too.

Rocky
    ...the G8 but never see any pictures. I guess it's supposed to replace the Grand Prix. If it still existed - I'd go for that Northstar-powered Bonneville I saw before Pontiac discontinued it. It was around $35K and a sharp ride!
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    I remember seeing that Bonneville at an autoshow last year. Pretty cool.

What I wondered was: was it front-wheel-drive? If so, wouldn't there be tons of torque steer with an engine like that? :confuse:
  • jvc23jvc23 Member Posts: 5
    I could be wrong about this, but I read that in the early 90s Ford and GM wanted to trim and improve their dealer network, but that local lobbying (city and state level) put up barriers to doing this. This has made it costly and difficult for GM/Ford to reduce the number of dealers and to discipline the bad ones. The can do it, but it ain't cheap nor easy.
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Any suggestions ????.....I guess can wait and see what the 6 speed LS-2 G8 is going to look like for sure, I guess.

I think there's a mildly used Pontiac GTO out there waiting for you. GMNA had nothing to do with the interior, so it's actually pretty nice inside, and the kids are small enough that they can climb into the back seat easily. And if you don't like the horribly anonymous nose the GTO got, you can get one of the dozen Holden noses shipped over from that Aussie aftermarket shop.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Have you considered a Saab 9-3 Aero lately? They look like they are fun to drive.
    Need 4 doors, want a stick, and want gadgets and decent power and fuel economy. Think Acura TL w/ a 6 speed + VR-Navi. Hell I'd take the paddle shifters like those found in the Lexus IS 350

Unfortunatly no Big 3 cars yet offers this. :sick: The current CTS-V offers the stick, decent fuel economy, good power, but has minimal gadgets and a terrible interior :cry: + it is $53K and change. My discount would only shave around $6K off the MSRP. I guess the G8 is my only hope. :mad:

BTW- lemko the Bonneville GXP is a nice car. The Goat is nice, but currently I can't handle the 2 door thing anymore. 2 kids in car seats and my big body trying to strap them in the backseat is like playing "Twister"

It (Bonneville) unfortunatly doesn't have the technology I'm looking for. Hell they are asking $24,995 for a 2004 at Greg Lair Pontiac in Canyon, Tx. I'm so darn dissapointed right now. I might just throw in the towel and stick to inexpensive used cars until GM makes me a car I want to own and can afford new. :sick:

Anyone see's a "deal of the decade" on a Olds Aurora, Deville Concours/STS, GMC Jimmy/Envoy, Blazer/Trailblazer, or Yukon/Tahoe, lemme know. ;)

Rocky

P.S.

Thanx for the suggestions ya'll :D
    They are nice jchan, but I've never been thrilled about em'

But a great suggestion. ;)

Rocky
    The 9-5 w/ Sport Package maybe?

Sewell Cadillac-Saab-Hummer I think still has a 2005 Aero model if you're interested.

I'll keep my eyes out for a deal on an Aurora. :)
    Thanks pal....The Saab 9-5 Aero is nice, but unfortunatly lacks the gadgets. Where's the DVD 5.1-7.1 Surround Sound ? Where's the Voice Recognition ? Maybe in a few years jchan2, when Saab FINNALLY gets transformed ;)

Rocky
    If you can forgo some of the gadgets I think the 9-5 leftovers represent one heck of a deal.

The Saab Exchange of Morton Grove has demo 9-5 Arcs listing for $27,988ish on cars that originally had a $40,000 sticker. That's a good deal if you ask me.

But other than that, the Acura TL seems to be your best bet :D
    Yeah Saab does have some good deals. If they do a 24 month lease on the top model jchan2 I'd seriously consider one. ;) I might even consider that special Ann. 9-3 convertible (blue one) with blue piping :blush:

Rocky
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Need 4 doors, want a stick, and want gadgets and decent power and fuel economy.

Volvo S60 R - Spec Sheet

It's not the greatest sports car of all time but it's reasonably priced (especially if you qualify for Ford's X-Plan), has very good power, 6-speed MTX, AWD, 4-doors, and gadgets optional. Fuel economy is 18/24 with the MTX which is decent to me.
    If I had thought about buying a 2004 9-5 Arc when I bought my car a year ago I probably would have ended up with a 9-5- the 9-5 gives me everything I want- 30 MPG (I don't mind having a turbocharged 4 cylinder versus a V6) a seemingly spacious interior and a flat out good deal :)

The 20th Anniversary 9-3 Convertible was at NAIAS and it was very nice. I think Saab is only making 300 of those though, so they will definitely be rare :)
    Well it's looking like my problem is finally solved ;)
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=109673

IL Exclusive: Buick LaCrosse Super in the Works
    Date posted: 03-17-2006

DETROIT — A Buick LaCrosse Super, which takes its exterior design cues from the well-received 2004 Buick Velite convertible concept, will hit the market within the next few years, Inside Line has learned.

The car will begin to make its media rounds starting on March 28 in New York and again at the Buick Open in Grand Blanc, Michigan, in July. It will not be shown at the upcoming New York auto show, however.

Buick spokesman Dave Darovitz told IL that the LaCrosse Super will be equipped with a 300-plus-hp V8, the first V8 in the LaCrosse sedan. "It will have exterior styling heavily inspired by the Velite, including a waterfall grille," he said. "It's a good bet it will have portholes, too."

Darovitz said the LaCrosse Super will have interior differentiation from the current LaCrosse. He would not specify exactly when the model will hit the market, only vaguely describing it as "the next few years."

"We're not close to talking pricing yet, either," Darovitz said.

There are no plans for a Buick Lucerne Super at this time. The Super designation, which goes back to 1940, signifies the most premium trim level.

"The whole vision for Buick is to move upmarket and bring more style and technology to the portfolio," he said.

What this means to you: Buick is still leafing through its rich heritage for cures to its lingering malaise.

What this means to me : I guess it's about time for me to pull out the Aerosmith song "Dream On"
    While not a Velite Roadster (My Dream Car) it's the next best thang :shades:

Rocky
    There customer service is so bad here in the SW' they even make VW look like customer service award winners. :surprise:

Rocky
    I guess you better get in line :)
    Um, what is the likelihood that a V8-powered LaCrosse will have anything other than the old 4-speed slushbox and marshmallow suspension?
    V-8 100%

4 speed :cry: 75%

6 Speed Manuel :cry: 0%

6 speed automatic 25% :shades:

Rocky
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I remember seeing that Bonneville at an autoshow last year. Pretty cool.

What I wondered was: was it front-wheel-drive? If so, wouldn't there be tons of torque steer with an engine like that?

Yes, it was front wheel drive, and yes, it suffered from torque steer. The interior wasn't up to $25k car standards, either, much less, $35k.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    10. Don't give an old prune-faced VP the final word on styling decisions.

9. Don't be afraid to copy better cars, improve upon them, and advertise it.

8. Safety sells.

7. Make the flagship a mom car, not a Caddy or Lincoln.

6. What's a "UAW"?

5. Bring back refined versions of Muscle Cars.

4. Make maintenance cheaper, and advertise it.

3. 3 engine blocks and 9 engine configurations are enough.

4. Use more tubular steel in construction.

3. Standardize trim package names

2. Quality, quality, quality

1. Bring back the Mustang! (see, I was right!)

:P :P :P
    "1. Bring back the Mustang! (see, I was right!)"

Waddaya mean, bring it back? :P It never left. It's the only pony car that's been in continuous production since its introduction.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    That was a little tongue-in-cheek. You don't really call those little weird cars from 1970-2004 Mustangs did you? :)
    Yeah I do.

I'm not sure where you were going with your rambling ?

What is the UAW ? :confuse:

Rocky
    excuse me, What's a UAW ? :surprise:

Rocky
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    GM should simplify it's lineup and not try to spread it development costs over so many brands and vehicle lines. The cost are so high, it takes away from developing really good cars and trucks. Too many choices dilute the profits - do we really need all these - Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, Cadillac, and GMC? GMC is redundant, and Pontiac - what's the point? Combine models into fewer brands and make them better, not "just as good" as the imports.

Styling is starting to come up to import quality standard, so are the interiors, but they still need a little more work. GM did a great job with interiors for new models, but now they're all starting to look the same. Look at Impala, Tahoe/Yukon, and DTS. They all have the same look, as if they could've come from the same mold. Mechanically, they're all way behind. 5 and 6 speed automatics, and 6 speed manuals should be the norm, not the exception. They're starting to filter into new products now, but what took so long? They're always playing catch-up. Fuel efficiecy is getting better though.
    "That was a little tongue-in-cheek. You don't really call those little weird cars from 1970-2004 Mustangs did you?"

I just couldn't resist. ;) Funny thing is that to "generation Y", the Fox-bodies (1979-1993) are THE Mustangs. The classic-era ones have little resonance for them; when they were growing up, the roads were filled with squared-off, Euro-design coupes with nary a pony logo on them. So for them, you say Mustang and they think "5.0!" :)
    United Auto Workers.

I wouldn't dump *too* hard on the unions...nothing worse than a discontented, unloyal, grumpy vengeful workforce.

Many American corporations have turned into hell-holes because profits have been acquired through pension cuts and raising work hours.

On the plus side, this has driven unrewarded talent into small entreprenurial businesses....
    It's true, it's true.

Mustang:

old Mustang:

new Mustang:

new (old) Mustang:
    Mr. Shiftright, I knew that already. he was being sarcastic, but I didn't follow where he was going with his rambling. ;)

Rocky
    bumpy get me a good pick of a Z-Up Mustang and post it. ;)

Rocky
    They're too big to post, so here's a link. Scroll down past the six billion Ebay ads. Those hatchback Mustangs do seem to attract more than their share of backyard tint jobs, but this is the first time I've seen altezzas on one.
  • kevins3kevins3 Member Posts: 10
    I have an idea: Make the interior big enough for tall people have leg and head room so they don't hit their head or feel like being in a sardine can!
  • kevins3kevins3 Member Posts: 10
    Have another idea! Have the govt declare cars over 10 years old as antiques and can't be driven only in parades then people would have to buy new cars! LOL :surprise:
  • ubbermotorubbermotor Member Posts: 307
    Don't laugh, things like that have been preposed in the past.
    Wow! Make me a millionaire! Then I'd pick the following cars:

GM: Cadillac DTS Sport, Buick Lucerne CXS

Ford: Mustang GT, Lincoln Town Car

Chrysler: 300 SRT8, Dodge Ram pickup.
    "DTS sport" just seems like an oxymoron LOL
    I don't think I could spend that much time in the waiting rooms of car dealerships' service departments. One or two maybe, but six cars from the Big Three is kinda asking for it, IMO.
    Are you being a sarcastic ? Which is it ? The domestic reliability ? Or the service department's bad waiting area's ?

Rocky
This discussion has been closed.