Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Highlander Transmission Problems

Comments

• Options
    mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    Sure, I'll help. Take your 4 year-old cars' problems and visit a used car forum.
  • Options
    ft20ft20 Member Posts: 15
    As if there aren't enough issues with the transmission on this SUV, add one more to your list....

I have a 2005 V6, AWD. I bought the car used with just 10000 miles on it. I have maintained it according to the owner's manual and have not abuse it in any shape or form. During an oil change at 62000 miles, the mechanic told me that there is a transmission fluid leak. I did some research on my own and found out that there is a TSB out for the transmission fluid leak on this model/vin. I can forward a copy of the TSB if anyone wishes to have it. If you read the bulletin, it becomes quite clear that the there is a faulty transmission seal that is prone to failure and Toyota has recently changed the seal in newer models. They are essentially hoping that no one will have this problem and even if they do, it would be outside the warranty period, as in my case! To make the long story short, took the car back to the dealer, they looked at it and sure enough is the seal that is mentioned in the TSB that has failed. The dealer quoted me a price of $1300 to have it fixed. The repair would have been covered under the 60K power train warranty but since my car now has 63K, I am basically SOL. I just called Toyota last night to ask for their assistance but not getting my hopes up. I think it is unfair for a company to know about a problem and not stand behind their product. I will keep you posted on what I hear back from Toyota.

In the mean time, if your 2004-2006 highlander is under 60K, please check for this leak problem. Make sure you document it and have stupid Toyota pay for this. Otherwise, get ready to fork up some dough soon as the warranty expires. Toyota should be ashamed of their business practices.
  • Options
    So a week after contacting the customer assistance line, I was informed that Toyota will NOT cover any of the expenses related to fixing this faulty transmission seal. I have contacted the corporate office by mail and am waiting to hear back. Any other suggestions?
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    $1300.00....

Just which seal are we talking about here..??

And what is the severity of the leak?
  • Options
    The official name for the seal is the trans-axle bearing retainer seal #2. Essentially it is the seal that seats between the transmission and the front differential. From what I understand, the seal itself cost only $20 or so but replacing it involves removing the entire transmission and the labor cost associated it! The leak is not terrible, just a few drops. However, I would like to replace it soon before it fails completely and the transmission seizes.
  • Options
    If I understand correctly as to exactly which seal has failed then I wouldn't bother spending that much money. Check with the dealer but I'm pretty sure that seal isn't under any pressure other than that provided by gravity. A quart of ATF costs what, $4.00..??

If you lose more than a quart between engine oil changes then maybe there is cause to worry, otherwise....

Looked up the TSB and the seal involved has to do with the right front axle/halfshaft bearing within the PTO, Power Take-Off, for the rear driveline.

With only 63,000 miles I would contact the Toyoat factory rep for a warranty repair.
  • Options
    Weird...

The TSB calls for the entire engine, transaxle, and PTO/transfer to be pulled from the vehicle as a unit and then the PTO separated for work on the bench.

From looking at the TSB and then looking at the underside of my '01 AWD RX300 it's pretty obvious to me that this bearing seal can easily be replaced absent even removing the PTO.

Your dealer may be looking for an easy $1300.00 for $200 in labor and a $10 part.

My reading of the TSB leaves me with the implication that your leak is the result of improper assembly at the factory. In that case I would REALLY lean on the Toyota factory rep for full compensation.
  • Options
    Thank you for your input.

I wrote a letter to Toyota corporate after my attempts to address the issue over the phone failed. Any suggestions about getting in touch with factory reps?
  • Options
    You can often make an appointment with a factory rep through the dealer.
  • Options
    06driver106driver1 Member Posts: 4
    Can you post a link or a copy of the actual TSB?
    The only ones I find are at alldata.com and they charge a fee.

I have a 2006 Highlander but seem to be having the same problem. Thanks for the info. posted but if you have a full TSB, that would be helpful. I'm almost at 60,000 miles and want to be ready if Toyota gives me trouble.

Everyone have your transmission checked before 60K!!
  • Options
    I am not sure how to forward the complete info to you. I have subscription to ALLDATA and can cut and paste the information to your email address.

Drivetrain - Fluid Leaks From Transfer Case Vent
    TRANSMISSION & CLUTCH
    TC008-07

Title:
    TRANSMISSION FLUID OR GEAR OIL
    LEAK FROM TRANSFER CASE VENT

Models:
    '04 - '06 Highlander (AWD) & Sienna (AWD)

June 11, 2007
    Introduction
    Some 2004 - 2006 model year AWD (4WD) Highlander or Sienna vehicles may display a transmission fluid or gear oil leak from a vent on the right side of the transfer case. The leak is from the transfer RH (right-hand) bearing retainer No. 2 oil seal. Production improvements have been implemented to prevent this condition from occurring. Follow the repair procedure below to replace the RH bearing retainer No. 2 oil seal assembly.

Applicable Vehicles
    ^ 2004 - 2006 model year Highlander (AWD) and Sienna (AWD) vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below.

Production Change Information

Warranty Information
    Applicable Warranty*:
    This repair is covered under the Toyota Powertrain Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

Parts Information

Required Tools & Material

Required SSTs

Components
    Copyright © 2008 ALLDATA LLC
    Terms of Use
  • Options
    rviradiarviradia Member Posts: 44
    does the rx330 have the same tranny issues?
  • Options
    ellieweezerellieweezer Member Posts: 1
    Would you please send copy of TSB for the 2004 Toy. HL Trans. leak. Thanks, Steve

steveray319@msn.com
  • Options
    jmyongjmyong Member Posts: 3
    I do have the EXACTLY the same problem on 2004 Highlander. I have also found my leaking problem during oil change. I'm also out of luck at 70K only for 3.5 years. Do you have any resolutions on this?
  • Options
    I got in touch with Toyota customer assistance center and miserably failed to get supported on transmission leaking issue on my Highlander with 70K. I bet we are some of the few with that much of mileages start experiencing the problem. I bet this faulty part will be an issue to all eventually as they add more mileages. Following ft20's step, I also have written to Toyota head quarter and no response. I had to leave my car to the mechanics because they initially have charged for $250 for replacing the gasket and now claiming it's the faulty issue asking for $980 to fix. I'm frustrated the situation for both the mechanics as well as warranty situation with Toyota. I'll keep you posted the progress.
  • Options
    Update...

I ended up paying 50%, $695.95 at the dealer to fix the issue. It was a poor fit of the sealer. I believe Toyota is well aware of the issue and applied the fix for a newer model. I have 70K miles on it, ad may be the one of the few got into the trouble earlier. Toyota flat denied to pay in full, nor process the recall. If you have 2004-2006 Highlander, please be aware. They will get you for $2000 price tag that should been a recall item.
  • Options
    justrumjustrum Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 highlander (FWD). I noticed a fluid leak that was below the drivers side below the headlight. When I first looked under the hood it appeared to be coming from a small diameter hose that leads from the radiator, travels along the front of the car to a small cooler housing.

Today I took a closer look and the fluid is transmission fluid, the leak only appears to be coming from the noted hose, but is most likely leaking onto that hose.

Anyway, it's a tight working area and impossible for me to see for sure where the leak is coming from, but it appears to be in the area of the cooler box (if that's what that is). This box I am referring to is about 1 foot or a little longer below the drivers side headlights.

A few questions:

1) Is anyone familiar with this area of the car and the problem?

2) Am I looking at major repair? I would attempt to do it, but I can't get to the area to see what I am doing. I did consider taking out the wheel well cover, but not sure if that will give me access.

3) Is there a free repair manual around here so I can see what exactly is this box?

I took the battery out and the battery tray to get a better look today and it's either coming from the tube/hose that connects the cooler to the transmission or coming from somewhere on the box.

After I reinstalled the battery and added some fluid I started up the car and ran it for a few minutes. When I turned it off there were large drops of fluid dripping down at a rate of a sizable drop every 3 to 5 seconds.

I'm puzzled.
  • Options
    kenlwkenlw Member Posts: 190
    if it is transmission fluid (reddish and oily to the touch), this is probably the cooler line from the transmission to the cooler (either within the main radiator or a separate radiator-looking cooler). It may that just tightening the connection at one end would fix it, or it may be (more likely) that the hose/tube is damaged, in which case it will need to be replaced. You'll need to locate the EXACT point of leakage. Clean the entire hose and see if can find the origination. Remember, things drip down, not up.

Depending on your comfort level, replacing the hose may be simple. Or not.
  • Options
    It's difficult to tell where it's coming from. It is in such a tight area that viewing it from below would be difficult since it would result in fluid in the eyes (not a good thing) and from above you can't see the underside. It also appears that it is dripping onto one of the hoses, so that doesn't help to pinpoint the location.

I thought about removing the wheel well shield and accessing it from there, but I have to make sure that it actually can be seen and reached from that approach. It appears that two lines are going to this "mini cooler", one from the transmission and one from the radiator.

I would attempt to do it myself, but it is a timing thing since my wife needs the car for work. Tomorrow she will use my son's car, but I don't have the time to fix it. So now my concern is getting ripped off by a mechanic.

Anyway, thanks for your input. I wish I could locate a diagram of this part of the car, but I've come up empty.
  • Options
    mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    This sounds very much like a damaged or leaky transmission oil cooler line like others have suggested.
  • Options
    And that is what it ended up being. The line that runs from the transmission to the cooler had a rusted clamp and that's where it was leaking. A guy that works where my wife works came over and fixed it.

Now I find out that you can't get the transmission fluid at any of the local stores, you have to buy it through Toyota. So it will have to sit until tomorrow.

Thanks for the help, it saved me a lot of money - I owe all of you a beer.
  • Options
    kenlwkenlw Member Posts: 190
    yes, you can get the fluid at a decent auto parts store, Toyotas are pretty popular! But if you want to wait to get it at the dealer, that will work fine.

glad we can help. Pay it forward.
  • Options
    eddie_eddie_ Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Toyota Highlander 4WD and I have serious problems with the transmission. When I shift from Park to Revere it does not turn it on, it just goes to neutral. Also, when driving, it tries to shift but it just kicks out and the car won't accelerate. Please help. I tried everything, replaced the PCM, took apart and put back the transmission and found no problems with it. Anybody know what it might be?
  • Options
    flounder42flounder42 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I was wondering if you had received any resolution to your issue. I think I am experiencing similar problems but not completely the same. My issue is that when I put the car to R, there is no response, as if it's in neutral but you can't manually move the car. And in fact, it's the similar problem with N. It's almost as if the parking brake is on even tho it isn't. If you could let me know how you resolved your problem, I would appreciate it.
  • Options
    pete74pete74 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks guy's,

Straight to the point. My wife's 04 Highlander, 64,000 miles. Transfer case leak.
    Dealer wanted full price to fix. I did my research just on a hunch, if you will, and found this forum on the subject. I took all the info and the ALL DATA post, wrote down and got on the phone. with my new ammo locked and loaded, I went to work on the dealer. A hour later got a call. We decided to pay for half the repair.

There is a obvious design problem here. To all Highlander owners. Don't settle with the dealer with out a fight. The forum saved me a bunch of money !

Thanks Guy's !

Now my question is if or more likely when it will happen again ????????

Pete
  • Options
    sactoskiersactoskier Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2003 AWD V6 Limited Highlander with 115,000 miles. About 200 miles ago, the transmission started slipping during the third to fourth gear shift. HL goes into neutral, the revs go way up, then it shifts with a clunk. I can minimize the clunk from a stop by accelerating to 25 mph, taking my foot off the gas, letting the revs drop down to 1200 rpm (at which point the trans will shift to fourth gear), and then stepping on the gas. There are no problems in first, second, third or fourth gear. The car runs fine in fourth gear. It is only a problem with the third gear to fourth gear shift.
    Tried not using overdrive, but problem persists. This is my first problem with the HL. I always get my HL serviced at Toyota dealer at 5000 miles intervals.
    Dealer says the trans needs to be replaced. In California, the price is over $4500 for the "new" trans. Dealer will give me a 10% discount on parts and labor.
    Any thoughts?
  • Options
    carterkcarterk Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 Highlander 4 cyl, bought new. I had this same problem last fall (except I could only describe it as a "loud clunk" when I accelerated!!) Because I had purchased an extended warranty (7 year total, I think) the dealer replaced it, and gave me a rent-free Rav4 to drive while waiting for the trans. to arrive. Service rep said it was $5000 if I had paid for it. Funny thing, now there's a "thud-click" when I turn the steering wheel; the service rep drive it and said nothing is wrong..... Are they just wanting me to buy a new car?
  • Options
    pacocpacoc Member Posts: 7
    I own a HL 02, Limited, V6. 60K miles on it and never abused the vehicle.
    But new are having very serious heating problems on the AT.
    It occurs only on highway. Since I live in a country with so many mountains the car get the AT over temp. alarm.
    Yesterday I had to stop 4 times on the road in order to get it cold and remain driving, at only 2,000 rpm. Very slowly return to home.
    I have sent the car to the Toyota shop al least 4 times in the last year to have them service the transmissión.
    I´m planning to make the service in an independent shop using an equivalent ATF oil
    Any help from the experience you have had? .

Oscar
  • Options
    I asked the service manager if there was a way to reprogram the transmission computer module on my 2003 Highlander. He checked and said that there was no way to re-program the module. Fortunately, this Toyota dealer participated in the Costco Executive Member 15% discount program and I replaced the transmission. I also received a loaner Prius.
    The transmission was replaced with a "rebuilt trans". The transmission case is a used case, but all of the internal parts are new. I think that this is a better solution than using AAMCO, which only replaces the worn parts and the price is about the same.
    Regarding your extender warranty, doesn't that end after 100,000 miles?
    I sent an e-mail to the local Toyota dealer to thank the service manager for customer service. I also asked them to forward the note about the transmission problem to the regional Toyota service representative.
  • Options
    nross718nross718 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 V6 all wheel Drive Highlander,as I was driving last week I heard a large clunk sound in which my car would not move afterwards. It was inspected by an auto mechanic and my transmission is bad. I only have 69,000 miles on the car. My warrenty recently expired and the car will paid off this year. The quote that I received was 2400 for a used with 39,000 miles and 4000 for a rebuilt. Please help me on how should I handle this. Is it normal for a toyota transmission to go with 69,000 miles?
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that, but I have same model of HL, 60,000 miles, never abused, and seems is too at the end of his life. Mine is getting hot on the road when climbing. I have made service to the tranny at the Toyota dealer and it works for a while but on about 1,000 miles return to the same condition.
    I have not received any logical explanation fro toyota. This week I will try by repalcing the oil with a Mobil oil compatible with the ATF Type IV. I hope tihis works because I am not in the mood to spend too much money on that car.
  • Options
    lmsmedley2lmsmedley2 Member Posts: 1
    A similar problem for me. Our transmission gave out at 100,000 miles on a 2002 Highlander V6. Toyota wanted $4300 for a new one. I went to my mechanic who could do it for $3900, get a rebuilt one for $3600, or a used one for $2200.
    The used ones have a 90 day warranty, and apparently 90% of them work just fine.

I went with the used.
  • Options
    I filed a complaint with the department of transportation at:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/

I don't know if it will help, but maybe Toyota will read the complaint.

">
  • Options
    naldynaldy Member Posts: 1
    When hot transmission does not engage on reverse,It starts slipping and if you accelerate it vibrates.
    If there is a mechanic out there please reply.I have the transmission down in parts looking for torn parts, unit has less than 65000 miles.Mechanic is replacing parts but will not say exactly what is the problem. :lemon
  • Options
    Well I took my car to Lee Myles Transmission and they said my planetary gears went which is very common in Highlanders. They are chargin me $4000.00 for a rebuilt! they did offer me a used but I am afraid of the same thing happening in a year or so.
  • Options
    Complain complain and complain. and complain somemore to get the toyota tranny fixed.

I filed a complaint with the Department of Transportation at:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/

I am sure that Toyota will read the complaint or if there are enough problems with the Toyota transmission, the Feds will force them to correct the problem. The complaints could also lead to class action law suits. This is a safety hazard that could lead to numerous car accidents due to slipping and poorly shifting automatic transmission.

So don't :cry: get :mad:
  • Options
    Well thank you very much ! I did just that. As soon as I read your reply I filed a complaint because this was unexpected and expensive. So hopefully I will receive a reply from them regarding this matter. And I stopped :cry: and became :mad: !!
  • Options
    Lexus RX and Toyota HL transaxles have been failing prematurely, all for teh very same design flaw, since the RX was first introduced in '98.

And you think Toyota might pay attention when..??
  • Options
    carterkcarterk Member Posts: 4
    "Regarding your extended warranty, doesn't that end after 100,000 miles?"

Well, sacto, i'm not sure, but since I only have about 50,000 miles now, that won't be a problem!! The only problem is that I might have bought another Highlander, in a year or two, but now I'm not so sure. Is this tran problem continuing in recent and current models??
  • Options
    mclsmcls Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Highlander 4WD with 70,000 miles. I was told that my gasket has a slight leak. Nothing that needs to be done now. However it will cost $250.00 to replace the gasket. I ask the representative why it cost so much money. He said they charge for the labor to remove the transmission (not sure). Its basically labor cost. He also said that if I was closer to 60,.000 miles, then they probably would cover it. Whos to say they did see it leaking back when I had my oil change around 60,000 miles. Anyways, did you hear back from Toyota Head quarters?
  • Options
    This is what I have done, replaced oil completely, not only what goes to the pan, but what is inside tranny. For that we disconnected the hose that goes to the radiator and forced an flush, we refill again two times until the oil began to flow clear.
    What we found inside tranny was and burnt out oil, no viscosity and all blackened.
    I used Valvoline synthetic blend ATF which comlies with Type IV.
    Unit now no problem with tranny.
    I´m having VSC fault but that is related to ABS after replacing timing belt.
    Best regards and good luck.
    Oscar
  • Options
    csmoseleycsmoseley Member Posts: 1
    My '04 Highlander V6 4wd has 137,000 miles and lost it's transmission a few weeks ago, no warning. It is being replaced with a used for $2000. Had to go the cheap route and getting rid of it VERY soon. Also have had problems with the AC system. Toyota claims no problems with Highlander transmissions. Also, I was told that I had roadside assistance but when I called sitting with no transmission on the side of an interstate, I was told that they had no record of it. I am greatly disappointed with Toyota and will not buy another one.
  • Options
    Hmmm...regarding replacing the transmission oil, I know that Toyota had oil sludge problems with the 3.0 V6 engine. To cure this problem, Toyota and Lexus offered an extended warranty on some of the older engines. However, to correct the problem with the 2003 and newer models, Toyota insisted that the oil be changed every 5,000 miles.
    I wonder if Toyota has a similar problem with the transmission oil on HL? I've always had my HL served at a Toyota dealer, based upon the recommended maintenance schedules. Does anyone know when newer (than 2003) HL are supposed to have their transmission oil changed?
  • Options
    According to the manual for my 2001 F/awd RX300 there is no recommeded servicing of the transaxle for the life of the vehicle. When I discovered my ATF dirty and burned at only 40,000 miles the dealer advised me, and the factory verified, that the ATF needed to be changed every 15,000 miles.

I have heard that this was later revised to say that the ATF condition should be checked at every oil change and only drained and flushed if required.

The HL uses the same transaxle.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that. Mine is a 02, 4wd, 3.0l and have suffered with tranny oil high temp since it was about 30K miles. Finally this month I found a car shop where the owner involved himself in my car ande recomended to chage oil, it was burnt, black, and replace it with Valvoline synthetic blend ATF.
    As always now I have a VSC light on on the dashboard. It´s suppose to be a calibration procedure what is missing.
    I´ll let you all know when we perform it.

Best regards
    OScar
  • Options
    rpanaitrpanait Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    I have a 2002 V6 Highlander, 3.0L and for the last 6 months I have a strange problem with my SUV.
    When decelerating from over 60Km\h to ~10Km\h, around 20Km\h I feel a shift shock. It seems to happen when it tries to downshift from 2nd gear to the first one. But this happens only when driving over 60Km\h and it's not all the time.
    We checked the brakes, calipers, but it wasn't that.
    Reading this thread someone was mentioning about a TSB mentioning a re-programing of the ECM.

Before taking my Highlander to the nearest dealer I test drove it again and came up with these conclusions:
    - it happens only when I am over 60Km\h, in the 4th gear;
    - it does not happen every single time I decelerate;
    - if am in the 4th gear and I kill the over-drive before or when starting to slow down, so I manually force the transmission into the 3rd gear it won't give me this shift shock when reaching 20Km\h (when downshifting from 2nd to 1st gear);
    - it does not happen if I put in Neutral any time before reaching 20Km\h.

Yesterday I took the car to Toyota dealer and I told them about the issue and that re-programing the ECM might fix the problem. They could not reproduce the noise and at the end they scanned the Engine Control Module and the Transmission Control Module.
    They reprogrammed the ECM only and, weird, the service manager told me "it takes one week for the computer to relearn what it has to do". If I program a computer, I teach the computer what to do.
    I did not understand his explanation. Can anyone confirm these words to me, please?

Since yesterday I had 4 milder shift shocks so I am not sure if reprogramming the ECM helped or not.
    Any previous experience?
  • Options
    tcp2tcp2 Member Posts: 66
    I have a 2005 Sienna with the same drivetrain. This engine/transmission combo does do the hesitation, but driving "style" can mitigate the problem a great deal. Try rolling on and off of the throttle instead of stabbing it to the level you want it to be at. A smooth application of throttle works better than quick changes. Also, if you know a hesitation is occuring, hold the throttle steady for a second and let the transmission's brain catch up. It's not perfect, but honestly, I have zero problems with the engine and transmission. I must be trained to drive in this manner and it's not an issue for me.
  • Options
    My HL is the same model as yours, it had the same simptoms but with some diferent causes. Mine was due to an overheating in the tranny. After taking it three times to the Toyota dealer I took it to an independent shop. We discovered that the ATF was blackened, with no viscosity.
    I replaced the ATF with Valvoline semi sinth ATF and the over heating and all their simptoms dissapeared.
    Now I have a VSC alarm and is what I´m working on. As soon as I have the solution, I will share with you all.

Oscar
  • Options
    laps71laps71 Member Posts: 2
    I also have an 2002 HL. I have however a major problem now. Besides the black ATF, I now have grinding in the tranny. I am down completely.