Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Transmission Problems

Comments

• grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

After my ECM was reflashed, I thought I was seeing a further problem. Then circumstances forced me to accelerate at maximum power from zero to 100kmh (62mph) rapidly in succession.

Transmission behavious changed rapidly. Might be worth trying this and shifing to a premium fuel from a reputable supplier (Shell etc.)

Cheers

Graham
  • froggfrogg Member Posts: 16
    In the middle of my ongoing problem with the Highlander, I took the car to an independant mechanic. We went for a drive, with the mechanic behind the wheel. He demonstrated how the computer reacts to "who is behind the wheel"; the shift points are more firm when the car is being driven more aggressively. He explained that the computer raises fluid pressures, to accomplish this. It not only tailors the shift patterns to the driver, but it is protecting the trans when an aggressive driver is behind the wheel. Unfortunately, this doesn't relate to my problem. I've also tried switching to 93 octane, and it helped for a while, but has since lapsed into its old ways. I went back to regular, with no change in the problem.
  • webgoodwebgood Member Posts: 95
    frogg--Is there a difference between a "re-flash" and "re-program"? When the dealer did mine, it took just over an hour as opposed to "quickie" of 10-15 minutes. I wonder if we/they are talking about/doing the same thing. Best regards.
  • 1bythesea1bythesea Member Posts: 52
    Just thinking out loud...could our HL's have faulty catalytic converters or O2 sensors? Do I understand correctly either could cause hesitation problems? Or am I really making a stretch here?
  • kam108kam108 Member Posts: 16
    I have posted previously in a different thread about my transmission problems in my (previously owned) 2005 Highlander. I had hesitation problems, with sometimes a surging following the hesitation. I thought this was bad enough, then when the vehicle was not quite a year old, a newer, awful thing happened to me! I put my foot on the brake while parking, and instead of the car stopping, there was a severe acceleration which I could not control with the brake pedal. I slammed into the truck in front of me. I know that sounds bad but I'm glad it was there to stop me. Of course good old Toyota could not find a problem with my car. I filed a complaint with NHTSA. I then proceeded to read other Highlander and Camry (the Highlander is based on the Camry and has the same transmision.) To my horror, I discoverd that there were many complaints identical to mine!! Some of these people had severe accidents, and like me had unexplained vehicle acceleration when they put their foot on the brake! Some had witnesses, but to no avail! Toyota denied my claim telling me that two systems can't fail at the same time. Why has this happened to so many people then?
    As for the "fix", I had that done to my Highlander in between getting it repaired from the accident, and trading it in. When a sales person from a dealer was driving my Highlander so that he could give me a trade in price, he returned and asked if I had been having any trouble with my car. He said he had a severe hesitation, and then the car just took off like it was turbocharged!! So much for the fix!
    It's too late for me, but I sincerley hope owners of these vehicles get their cars fixed before someone gets killed! :mad:
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    You do realize, of course, that at trade-in time it's okay to admit the delay/hesitation problem is vey real..

But think they told the next buyer...?
    At trade-in time if I'm asked about the hesitation my comment will be..."Don't you know...the vehicle needs to get used to YOUR driving habits." Give them the same feed back we've gotten.
    Impossible to believe...

Ford has the answer.....!

From the new 2007 Ford Edge PR..

"The electronically shift controlled transmission also features a variable displacement pump, which matches the amount of fluid that gets pushed through the transmission to driver demand, making it more efficient."

At full lift-throttle all of the FWD Toyota/lexus vehicles begin an upshift just as the engine RPM drops to idle. With the engine at idle the upshift will exhaust/use most, or possibly all, of the pressurized ATF.

Now if you happen to re-apply foot pressure to the accelerator pedal just as the upshift begins the engine/transaxle ECU will "know" to delay the onset of engine until the low engine "idle" RPM can build enough ATF pressure to complete the corresponding downshift.

The most obvious answer would be to increase the volume of the fixed volume ATF pump so enough pressure/flow could be provided for two sequential QUICK shifts with the engine at idle. But then most of that added volume would be bypassed, disapated as heat, as the engine RPM rises above idle.

Ford's answer, apparently, is to have a variable displacement ATF pump so it can be switched to high volume when quick/SOLID shifting is required with the engine at idle. Makes me wonder if that allowed them to eliminate the ATF pressure bypass relief spring/valve also.

That would REALLY increase transaxle efficiency.

A second option would havre been to have an ATF pressure storage accumulator (like the ABS pumpmotor asembly). But putting one of those in an already "crowded" six-speed transaxle is probably out of the question.

Anyone know if any of the newer Toyota/Lexus transaxles have either? Absent one or the other the delay/hesitation issue will undoubtedly continue.
  • roberto7roberto7 Member Posts: 5
    Am I glad I registered to this site! I, myself, just had a recent problem with my 2001 Higlander but unlike you, I slammed into my house! And I thought I had a "blackout"! I now realize that I actually did put my foot on the brake pedal and not the accelerator; fortunately and I still consider myself lucky, I only got the shock of my life with no bodily injury and that no one was in the dining room at that time(although my wife was an hour before the accident!). After having the car fixed, my wife noticed hesitancy when she backed up and we've been fighting the insurance company since because all this time we felt that the transmission was damaged after the accident. But after reading your letter, I now know who to run after...the dealership, since they had just checked the transmission in Sept., '05 and that what happened was actually an accident waiting to happen! :surprise:
  • roberto7roberto7 Member Posts: 5
    I recently posted a problem I had with my HL but this is by no means aimed to smear Toyota because I love their cars. Now, we all know that these are machines and prone to problems every now and then but when you experience what I just experienced, that is, slamming your house after pressing on the brake pedal, you cannot help but begin to have second thoughts: Are U.S. made cars really as safe and dependable as their Japanese made counterparts?(Toyotas are now made in the U.S.) ;)
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Are U.S. made cars really as safe and dependable as their Japanese made counterparts?(Toyotas are now made in the U.S.)

The Highlander is now, and has always been, made in Japan.
  • mer66mer66 Member Posts: 14
    I had the exact same thing happen to me with my Honda Pilot last year! I put my foot hard on the brake pedal and the car took off and I hit the wall of the parking garage where I work. When I reported it to building security he said the same thing had happened a few months earlier involving an Izusu Rodeo. And, when I was telling my neighbor about it he said his son had that happen with his Nissan Pathfinder too! I am wondering now if it is a flaw common to all Asian SUVs?
    Always be sure, make sure, the driver's side carpet is somehow tied down, firmly, such that its forward edge cannot lie over the gas pedal but behind the brake pedal.

Happened to me twice in ~10 years both times in rental cars.
  • ekoeko Member Posts: 3
    I've had bad O2 sensor on one side of the V-banks (1MZ-FE), and drove about 1K miles w/o noticing problems. No hesitation. Late I found a lot more of sludge on intake valve seats and air passages which are corresponding to the V-bank side with bad O2 sensor. I think the sludge is result of my driving with bad O2 sensor. May be the ECM was not adjusting the timing correctly for the cylinders in that V-bank. So, it took an hour or two to get all the stuff clean. Anyway I wish I had it fixed right when I got the MIL light on.
    However, I noticed a hesitation when cleaned the trotle body - a vacuum leak and clogged air passages could cause hesitation. Funny, but my 1MZ-FE stops with air pipes removed from the trotle body, when old 5S-FE runs ok.
    I'd recommend to check intake, trotle body, vacuum lines and EGR. It could be as simple as loose or swapped vacuum lines.
    Good luck.
  • vishweshvishwesh Member Posts: 2
    Hesitation and the following surge if you keep pressure on the gas pedal is what I experienced too and I drove a brand new highlander AWD for 1300 miles.
    The cruise is another problem. It overshoots by 5 miles/hr at times when you put the vehicle on "resume".
  • garywigarywi Member Posts: 54
    This is what I observe:

Transmission – can’t find correct gear. Driver always fighting to slow the car down without the help of transmission.

Examples:

City driving. At 900 RPM, 25 MPH, car is in 5th gear! Taking foot off gas does not slow down vehicle. Will maintain speed! Constantly fighting car to slow down.

City driving, coming to a stop sign. Transmission downshifting, but driver must fight with excessive breaking to slow vehicle. Car surges forward from 3rd, to 2nd, to 1st.

Pulling into garage at home. At 10 mph, 900 RPM, car still in 3rd gear as I pull into my garage. Needs excessive breaking. Then just before I stop, car finally shifts to 2nd, then 1st, with a nice surge forward. Must apply more braking.

Can you change the shifting characteristics of this transmission? Less shifting!
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    A rogue car! :surprise:
    "...Transmission - can't find correct gear. driver always fighting to slow the car down without the help of (the) transmission...."

It has never, NEVER EVER, been a good idea to use engine compression braking for slowing the forward motion of a FWD or front biased AWD vehicle, not even with a manual transmission, but most especially so with an automatic one.

Back quite a few years ago now the AAA started recommending that owners of FWD or..., vehicles practice quickly shifting their transmission into neutral in preparation for the day when that practice might pay off and save lives.

I strongly suspect, and would be willing to bet money, that late in the last century the automotive insurance companies went to the automotive manufacturers and disclosed the statistically FACT that FWD or.., were more prone to accidents in adverse weather conditions that their RWD or rear torque biased AWD "brothers" (and sisters?/).

The 99 RX300 is subject to premature transaxle failures simply because the transaxle firmware was revised to accomodate a shift pattern that resulted in more frequent upshifts. By 2001 Toyota had realized their mistake and adopted a higher capacity ATF pump so teh new "safer" shift pattern could remain. When that also turned out to be a mistake they went back to the lower capacity ATF pump, but with DBW, e-throttle, to prevent the engine from developing torque until the transaxle could be properly downshifted.

Of recent note...

Ford has just received a patent in which two techniques are described that while applying only directly to their hybrid series speak VOLUMES about the hazards of engine compression braking on FWD or.., vehicles.

Ford hybrids, Escape and Mariner, use regenerative braking to (re)charge the hybrid battery. The patent describes a technique wherein the level of regenerative braking to be used is reduced substantially if the prevailing outside temperature is hovering around or below freezing.

GET IT...??

Regenerative braking (engine compression braking{??}), is potentially HAZARDOUS, especially so when the probability of encountering a low traction roadbed surface is elevated by climatic conditions.

The second technique involves disabling regenerative braking the instant the brakes are applied so as to prevent regenerative braking from interfering with the anti-lock braking system's ability to keep those front, stearing, wheels rolling.

Will we soon see Toyota and/or Lexus FWD vehicles that allow/use engine compression braking when the prevailing temperatures are above freezing?

Not on your life...!

Another recent development..

Ford has announced that the new Ford Edge will have a variable displacement ATF pump in the transaxle to improve overall efficiency.

It will certainly, undoubtedly, do that.

But the reasons, the real reasons, go a bit beyond that explanation. Ford has its own history of 1-2 throttle lag, downshifting delay/hesitation in their FWD and front torque biased AWD vehicles.

With a variable displacement ATF pump the pump capacity can be adjusted, dynamically, to fit the situation. If a lot of pressure/flow is needed for a quick downshift with the engine at idle the ATF pump can be adjusted to provide same. When the engine RPM is at a cruising level, or even on the high side, and no shifting is required, the ATF pump's displacement can be minimized.

I'm will to bet that Toyota and Lexus FWD or.., vehicles already use teh variable displacement ATF pump, at least as of the 2007 model year.
    Thanks wwest. You seem very knowlegable. What am I going to get Toyota to do on this transmission next week? I do not like it at all, that I have to fight the car to slow down. I don't have to do this on my Corolla. I went to a back road in Arizona last night. I got the Highlander up to 40 mph and then took my foot off the gas and coasted to see what would happen. The damm car would not stop. I coast for two miles and final applied brake. After a mile, it got down to 15mph, in 3rd gear at 900 rpm. There are times when I am going about 35 in 5th, and it will not slow down of I take my foot off the gas. I stays at 35 as if I had the cruise control on.

Gary
    Other than downshifting manually, unless they even have a way of defeating that, I don't know of anything you or the dealer could do.

If you wish to "feel" the effects of engine compression braking go test drive a BMW X3 with an automatic transmission.

Keep in mind that engine compression braking on a FWD or front biased AWD vehicle can be very hazardous if you happen to encounter the right (wrong!) roadbed circumstances. Even in everyday driving it is entirely possible that engine compression braking will interfere with your anti-lock braking system and thereby result in an accident.

Perhaps sometime in the future Toyota will adopt, license, the Ford patented technique but I have my doubts, that would only cover adverse roadbed conditions due to freezing.
    I mean, I don't want braking with the engine like I would have down shifting a 5 speed manual car. I just dont want this trunk to drive itself at a speed it chooses. If I am making no inputs, it should not drive a 30mph in 5th for one mile!
    I know.

But only you, as the driver, can know, be reasonably sure of the road conditions you are currently driving on. Since the design engineers cannot possibly know or predict the roadbed conditions they have defaulted (FINALLY) into the safest procedure available for a FWD or front torque biased AWD vehicle.

I only wish they would use the same thinking with regards the defrost/demist/defog mode of their automatic climate control systems.

Engine compression braking on a FWD vehicle has been a serious safety issue ever since the original Olds Toronado was introduced back in the late sixties. Its about time something positive was done about that.
  • 05rubisahara05rubisahara Member Posts: 25
    Are the transmission hesitation and shift problems still prevalent in the 2007 models? How about the Hybrids or 4WD versions? I am strongly considering a new Hybrid Limited with 4WD but now I am hesitant or leery of the purchase.
  • avalon02whavalon02wh Member Posts: 785
    I would say maybe on some 5spd vehicles. Yesterday, I drove two Highlanders and a Rav4. Both Highlanders were 2wd, one had the 3.3L V6 & 5spd, the other had the 4 banger with the 4spd. The Rav4 was a 2wd, 4cyl with the 4spd. Only the 5spd had hesitation. I was rather disappointed. In the end we bought the 4 cylinder Highlander.

You should drive the vehicle in a variety of situations to see if you notice a problem. I wonder how big an issue the "shift problem" is on the 5spd. In the Consumer Report New Car Preview for 2007 the reliability history for the 4spd and 5spd transmissions are still very good (2001-2006). The CR reliability report for the 06 hybrid transmission was excellent.

You might also want to drive another car with a CVT so you can compare the driving feel.

My sense after driving the 5spd was that it would be slightly annoying in some situations. It was not the main reason we did not get the 6/5spd. The lower cost ($3K), nimble feel, better mpg and color won out.

Sorry I cannot help you more with the Hybrid. Did not even drive it. The floor model was $35K or so, way beyond what we wanted to pay for a vehicle.
    05rubisahara,

To my knowledge Toyota has NOT changed anything with the drive by wire/ECU on the V6 engines. Investigate '07 V6 Camry's and you will find many people are having hesitation issues so I have to assume the V6 '07 Highlanders will also.

It's so dicey as to whether you will get one that will hesitate or not. My HL did not hesitate until about 30 days after purchase. The TSB worked for about 6 months with hesitation gradually returning plus it now bogs 0-30 mph. For the past year I have suffered daily with this vehicle and am very seriously considering trading the HL in on a '07 Hyundai Santa Fe. Now that's a strong statement after having owned 7 Toyota's over 21 consecutive years. However, I'm not willing to risk obtaining another one that hesitates.

If you are set on a HL my recommendation is the 4 cylinder. But for the hesitation issue Toyota is still a great product. Best of luck on your decision.
    There are no two ways about it. The transmission in the 2005-2007 Highlander is a big defect. Shifting problems, wrong gear for situation, hesitation, always in overdrive. I bought a 2007 Honda CRV. IT'S WONDERFUL. It's transmission not only adjusts for throttle position and speed, but also the grade of the road. Example, if you are traveling on a flat or slightly down hill road, the transmission will not just shift all the way through the gears like the obselete Highlander. The Honda will STAY in the appropriate gear, 3rd or 4th, until 5th is appropriate. IF you let off the gas on a hill, you get engine braking. Who would have thought?! The Honda is not in a rush to get to 5th and does not get stuck there like my old 2007 Highlander. I encourage everyone I know to dump the Highlander as Toyota will do nothing about this.
  • billranbillran Member Posts: 113
    :sick: I am sorry to hear of your bad experience. I have had my 2005 Highlander V6 AWD for over two years and 35K miles and love it. Fast smooth acceleration and a quiet smooth ride and drivetrain that is as good as any I have driven, and better than most. I also have a couple coworkers and a neighbor with the same cars and I have talked to them a lot, and they have nothing but great things to say. In fact I have yet to meet someone in real life who does not agree that the Highlander is one of the best mid sized SUVs available today.

We liked ours so much we recently got a 2007 so both my wife and I would have these wonderful, safe cars to drive. Based on Toyota's published sales data there are way over two million Toyotas on the road with this exact drivetrain, and you will be hard pressed to find enough people with complaints to total even one tenth of one percent of those cars.

I am happy you found a car that you like. We love our Highlander and would highly recommend it to anyone.
    You may be correct about the 1/10 of 1%, however, based on the number of camry, tundra, solara, highlander, avalon, ES 330, and RX 330 owner blogs complaining about this issue it would seem the percentage is higher. Had I'd not had this issue, I may have felt the same way you do.

To add insult to injury, after 21 years of loyalty I was highly dismayed at the lack of respect Toyota Motor Corp. demonstrated toward me. This idea the vehicle needs to get used to your driving habits is ludicrous. The dealership denial across the country (and I liked my dealership very much until this) where one has to show evidence this is not just your vehicle and there really is a TSB available is shameful.

Thankfully you have not had this very real problem. It is an accident involving a death waiting to happen. As I stated earlier, Toyota IS a GREAT product WHEN it runs correctly. All the best with your new HL.
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    I have seen billran's type of posts on other forums before, various makes. Many unhappy owners having issues with their cars than suddenly someone chimes in and says, mine is perfect, my nieghbours have the same vehicle, my co-workers also own the same vehicle and they have no problems. Nice he knows so many who own the same vehicle as he does. The poster will go as far as stating how many cars a manufacture makes per year, we own 2 etc. etc. Now I am sure (?) billran is enjoying his HL and is driving it trouble free. But for me personally I see red flags all over the place. Not convinced. Good luck to all those with your problems and hope they are corrected. :lemon:
    Well first of all I feel that personal attack is completely uncalled for. And I personally believe that these type of flame posts have no place in these forums. I have never said I doubted anyone's claims that their car had a problem, nor have I attacked them or their credibility, as you have mine. When someone posts however slamming an entire line of cars, one that I happen to own two of and love, I feel it only right to comment. I am not saying that every single Highlander ever produced is perfect. But the poster I was responding to had very bluntly stated that ALL of that model was defective. That is obviously untrue. It is the posts like yours that I find most worrisome of all.
    Your might want to keep in mind that up until just a few years ago EVERY 737 that Boeing built was DEFECTIVE. Every one of those was equipped with a multi-stage rudder hydraulic servomotor valve that had a rather serious design defect.

Luckily only maybe 3 out of ~3000 crashed as a result.

So every HL out there can be defective, seriously so, while most might never encounter the circumstances wherein that defect becomes critical to normal operations.
    Fair enough. In that case we could probably say that every car on the road could be defective in one way or another. No doubt your Lexus is defective as well in some way. I respect your opinion and knowledge and I know you and I have gone back and forth on this indirectly. There are an awful lot of people driving these cars without complaint, and mine has performed wonderfully under all types of conditions, so I still feel it wrong to condemn the entire line and suggest everyone dump them for Hondas, as a previous poster had.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    you make a good argument for avoiding mass hysteria and dumping one product line for another.

however - there is ample evidence people need to exercise caution w.r.t. purchasing these advanced vehicles with "smart/adaptive" controls. even people that have test driven units which were fine at the time of purchase have ended up having issues later.

the manufacturer and dealerships' ability to address these issues and completely satisfy the customer remain important.
  • tomdtomd Member Posts: 87
    My 2007 HL has 5,000 miles on it. This morning I was on the highway in the right lane and wanted to move over. I looked in my mirror and the person in the left lane was pretty far back so I gave it some gas and proceeded to get into the left lane. Well, it took between 1 and 2 seconds to "kick down" and when I looked in the mirror, the person in back of me was scaringly close. I guess when I want to pass, I have to make sure that I really step on it. My '99 Lexus ES300 had a similar delay so I don't think this is anything unique. Toyota transmissions have been criticized for downshift delay for years. I hope the '08 improves upon this. My wife's Mazda Tribute kicks down instantly. I don't understand why Toyota hasn't addressed this. They seem to have a fundmental flaw in their design philosophy regarding automatic transmissions. I can't believe that a company with all of their resources can't fix this. Apparently this can't be fixed with just software alone because they have tried this. I think there is a mechanical design limitation here. I keep going back to the same thing: Do they give their engineers the vehicles that they design to drive on a daily basis? I think they would uncover lots of problems before they become an issue.
    Keep in mind that your 2007 HL doesn't have a manual clutch but for your own safety needs to act like you have one and are using it correctly.

That's the design limitation the Toyota engineers hare been trying to get around since ~2000 for most modern FWD or front torque biased AWD vehicles.

Not a simple task and insofar as I can see Ford (Edge) is the only marque having solved it, seemingly, so far.
    Sorry wwest, but you lost me. I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. Can you explain?
    There are times, places and circumstances wherein unintentional, inadvertent, engine compression braking, even slightly so, on a FWD vehicle can lead to loss of directional control. An icy downhill slope for instance, a place wherein you would normally disengage the clutch should you have one.

The AAA is on record suggesting that vehicle owners with automatic transmissions practice quickly moving the shift level to neutral in preparation for times, as above, when this capability might mean avoiding an accident

Engine compression braking can also interfere with ABS' ability to keep the front wheels rolling ever so slightly in some instances like the above.

Since the manufacturers of these FWD vehicle cannot predict, forecast, or have a vehicle system(***) to detect these circumstances the best thing they can do is prevent engine compression braking on their FWD vehicles altogether, ALL the time.

To that end late in the last century most manufacturers of FWD and front torque biased AWD vehicle modified the transaxle shift pattern. What now happens is when you lift the throttle, especially a FULL lift throttle, to enter a period of coastdown the transaxle will automatically upshift to alleviate any substantive level of engine compression braking.

No big deal, right...?

Wrong....!

What if, just at the precise moment the transaxle BEGINS the upshift, you see an upcoming opening in traffic into which you wish to merge.

So you FLOOR the gas pedal...

1001, 1002, 1003....

Oops, that "spot" in traffic just went by...

What happened...??

First, the transaxle had to complete the upshift, which undoubtedly would take 500 to 700 milliseconds. But now with the engine at idle there is no ATF pressure "reserve" to support a quick second sequential DOWN shift. So DBW was adopted to "protect the drive train". Allow enough time, again with the engine idling, for the ATF pump to build enough pressure to support, and complete, the upcoming downshift.

Only then will DBW allow you to go forward.

*** Ford was just granted a US patent over/for this very issue. The patented technique involves significantly reducing the level of regenerative braking of a hybrid vehicle (presumably applied to the FWD/AWD Escape and Mariner) if the OAT is near to or below freezing. The second technique involves INSTANTLY disabling regenerative braking if actual braking is applied and ABS activates.

Obviously our vehicles could be modified to only perform the upshift sequence if the OAT is close to freezing. But that wouldn't take care of an oil and rain slicked street nor black ice in the shadow of a tree line at 10 AM.

Just as obvious, the upshift would be too late and too slow if ABS were to activate during braking.

Ford has also announced that the new Ford Edge has a variable displacement ATF pump. Presumably to allow a HIGH volume of ATF pressure/flow at engine idle if needed/required while at the same time not being HORRIBLY wasteful of FE by continuing to PUMP HIGH volumes of ATF at 6000 RPM.
    Great explanation, makes a lot of sense! However, how do explain when driving along at say, 50 mph, the tranny is in it's top gear and you step on it to kick it down. Why does the Highlander seem to take so much longer to react than my wife's Mazda Tribute? Assuming that the software is taking the same amount of time in both vehicles to detect the change in throttle position and send the downshift command to the tranny (maybe this isn't true), the difference must be a mechanical design issue, no?
  • froggfrogg Member Posts: 16
    I continue to see posts on the subject. My experience is simple: The shift pattern on my Highlander is erratic. Even whenI have been the only driver for days, it is erratic. You might drive all around town, for example, and notice nothing unusual. Then, a block later, you step on the gas and as the trans leaves first, it doesn't go into second for a while. The engine revs up noticeably. If you are merging into traffic and this happens, you do the only knee-jerk thing: mash it. Of course, with the engine screaming, it really takes off when the trans engages. There are many other situations, including delayed downshifting when the problem is evident. I have had it to an independant mechanic, and he has verified that there is something wrong. Not an easy fix. Could be the computer. Could be a wiring harness. To fix it, a technician would have to spend some time with the car. Something that Toyota is not willing to do. They are only interested in reaching a point where they can declare the car....NORMAL. You hear that word - Normal - a lot when you take the car in, hoping to get it fixed. I have given up, and will get rid the car at the earliest convenience. As for those who love their Highlanders and are driving problem-free, I can only say that you are fortunate. But your happiness doesn't do anything to help me or others who have been stiff-armed by the company.
    that seems like you've got a bad transmission. i would consider this a safety problem. i think you're making a good decision by "moving forward" (in this case moving on).
    It does sound like a bad tranny. I get the occasional slight downshift delay but I have NEVER experienced the aforementioned scenario where the tranny leaves first gear and doesn't shift into second for a while.
    at some point i think you have to follow your gut feel. it's one thing to have one odd behavior, but multiple and unpredicatble ones?

toyota should know when "enough is enough" and give a good customer a break.

i'm not sure this person has had someone check the fluid level in the transmission. if it were grossly off, i could see how the inconsistent behavior could arise...

possibly even some bad shift solenoids...

but, otherwise, it doesn't seem like a transmission control computer programming/flash issue, or wiring problem. it also doesn't seem accelerator sensor or throttle position sensor related either.

if they haven't done anything for the customer, you'd think they'd replace the transmission. they've been doing that for some of the owners of new camrys (at least).
    Is anyone with a Toyota or Lexus RWD or rear torque biased AWD/4WD having these kinds of problems, downshift delay or engine revving between upshifts?

TSB for either RWD or..?

Anyone...??
  • jamo22jamo22 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Toyota Highlander & the Transmission shifting pattern is so erratic and unpredictable that it causes me to continually tromping on the gas pedal and become an agressive driver.
    Too many times, I have stepped on the gas & the car just goes into a time lag before it finally shifts.
    I have taken it to Toyota & they tell me mall is well, and that it shifts, not on a preset pattern, but based on a sensor that determines your velocity & if you are trying to increase or decrease. It is a very poor explanation and even poorer transmission.
    My wife has a 2002 Highlander with electronic transmission & it learns your driving pattern & adjusts accordingly. It is great. What happened Toyota?
  • jamo22jamo22 Member Posts: 2
    Read my post, you are not alone & it is not limited to RWD.
    Jim
    go to another dealership, and get their "it's operating normally" in writing.

video tape what your car is doing and diplomatically, with the help of a lawyer, suggest to toyota that either they fix the vehicle, buy you out, or you post it.

toyota needs to be shamed a whole lot more i guess into "moving forward" and taking care of it's owners with shifting problems in their brand new rides.

your dealer is giving you the party line.

you may need a TSB, and that might help some, but more likely, you have a defective part in one of these areas:

torque convertor,
    transmission,
    throttle body assembly,
    accelerator pedal assembly
  • rexhendersonrexhenderson Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2003 HL with automatic transmission. Arriving home today, my shift surprisingly would not let me set to Park without extreme use of force on the shift button and lever both. It will not crank in Park anymore. I now have to force it back out of Park and put it in Neutral to crank the engine. Shifting works fine except for Park. Has anyone experienced anything similar and if so do you know what caused the problem?
  • eesti006eesti006 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a Toyota Highlander from a Maryland Dealer on April 1, 2007 and this car has some serious problems. The entire throttling, shifting, and braking mechanism is out of whack. When you start the car it idles at 1500 RPM. Then when the car warms up the car's idle speed is so high that the car will go 25 mph on its own (on level ground). The car has a tendency to accelerate erratically going from first to third gear.

Shortly after I purchased the car I took the car back to the Toyota Dealer and told them about this erratic throttling/shifting problem and they insist "its normal". This explanation is basically baloney and indicates to me that Toyota executives know they have a problem. The Toyota company have apparently instructed the dealers to use this standard line "Its normal". They even made me sign a statement when I picked up the car that the 3 problems I had complants about were "Normal". So the dealer refused to do anything about the problem. The salesman also indicated this is "Normal". Same lingo (how strange).

The car is dangerous because the throttle speeed is set to high and I am very apprehensive regarding winter weather (approaching) with the car accelerating when I want to slow down.

The car I purchased was masde in Newark, New Jersey and I bring up this point to warn any one who is contemplating purchasing a New Toyota Highlander should be extremely cautious if they discover the car was manufactured in Newark, NJ. Drive the car alone and test drive it at least twice because the problems aren't readily noticeable all the time.

I have now had the car about 7 months and its a lemon and also very very dangerous. I pray I won't get into a terrible accident this winter when throttling and shifting problems could become a potential "death trap".

Dave
  • skinnytonyskinnytony Member Posts: 121
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. One note, though: I don't think Toyota has a plant in Newark, NJ, do they?
  • andypandoandypando Member Posts: 1
    Having the same problem here as well, also a 2003 Highlander. The problem started randomly about a year ago and has gotten progressively worse, now to the point where it is a real inconvenience. A friend told me that it is a linkage adjustment between the shifter and the transmission, but I think it may be the park safety interlock hanging up. Anyone with some answers please help us!!! andypando@msn.com