Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Best Fictional Character Car Spokesperson

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited March 2014 in Subaru
Someone posted that they should put Harry Potter in a Subaru Tribeca to spur sales, Crocodile Dundee has been used, so it gave me an idea to have a little fun.

Which memorable movie character would you use to try and sell which car? And don't restrict yourselves to current movies. What could you sell using Rhett Butler(Clark Gable) from Gone With The Wind, or Randle Patrick McMurphy(Jack Nicholson) from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest??

Only reminder I want to give is to keep it clean. I KNOW it could be very funny to use references to certain types of films, but we can't do that, and let's NOT go there. Other than that, let's have at it.

Would Indiana Jones sell you on Land Rover??

Of course, to be funny, the commercial would have to have Indiana negotiating all the perils of modern life that a Land Rover could save you from... like getting through construction zones, picking up kids at school, etc :P

Comments

• varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    How much would it cost Chrysler to have Elmo hawking minivans for them?

• subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I didn't take any pics of it, but Ford had big (red, naturally) stuffed Clifford dogs perched on a Ford Explorer at the Chicago Auto show last year and this year.

-Brian
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Put Patrick Stewart's Captain Kirk at the helm of the new Lincoln Zephyr (Capt. Kirk is classy and affluent, yet he's practical too!), or maybe being chaffeur-driven by Jordi (sp?). Yeah, the chaffeur thing is better, shots of the car all around, then the cabin, then him in the back seat saying "make it so" with his usual gravitas, and the car taking off quickly, smoothly, silently. :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Uh oh.. Here come the Trekkies...

Don't know his character's name.... but, I'm pretty sure it isn't Captain Kirk.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• derrado1derrado1 Member Posts: 194
    :P Not quite a Trekkie. But I grew up with one.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I think he's more of a Citroen CG spokesperson:

image">
  • harrycheztharrychezt Member Posts: 405
    and made isuzu look like it had a chance of passing other japanese automakers, back in 87-88 time frame9and a brief priod about 3-5 years ago, they tried ot bring him back, and it failed to help sales) "Joe Isuzu", the "honest" car salesman!
    About 03, at the local autoshow, they had a cardboard cutout of Joe Isuzu at the Isuzu stand, trying to get people to look at the VehiCross.

He put Isuzu(briefly) on th emap, so-to-speak, for sales.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    While Joe Isuzu was a fictional character in an ad, I'm thinking more along the lines of characters from movies that haven't been used to sell cars. Like having the Terminator sell Hummers... oh yea, sort of happened already. :blush:

OK, how about Sarah Connor from the Terminator pushing the Prius or some other hybrid!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Lee Iacocca...oh, you meant WAS fictional, not talked fiction....sorry :P
    Was that a SHOT? ;)
  • ubbermotorubbermotor Member Posts: 307
    Indiana Jones would have to do Mercedes, and he would have to be hanging off the hood at the time.

The "Dukes of Hazards" for the new Charger. Hey, it would be a move up-marker from the "its got a hemi" guys and their trashed Duster (I think that used to be my car, and I want it back).
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    Speaking of Star Trek, Capt. Kirk (Shatner) would definitely be pitching some rowdy, rough-around-the-edges car like a Mustang or Camaro...

Maybe an ad showing him getting off the Enterprise back on Earth, and getting into his 2504 Ford Mustang. "It's...got...plenty of...POWER!" ;)
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...but certainly fictional was the ersatz "Harley Earl" used in Buick ads in the recent past. The real Harley Earl would never stop vomiting if he saw a Terrazza or Rendezvous.
    ...the old public service ad about pollution with the crying Indian? Shoot, we could have Harley Earl, Bill Mitchell, and Alfred Sloan each shed a tear as they look upon GM in its current state.
    How about Inspetor Clouseau in a commercial where he's extoling the virtues of his new Hyundai? :P

Could use the old standard of having him say Hyundai with a butchered pronunciation...hehe
    ...drive a Citroen 2CV? Maybe for what a modern version of a 2CV would be like a Scion Xa, Yaris, Fit, or Versa.
    I don't think the C2V was his everyday ride:)

I know he drove one as part of disguise... and it wound up in a swimming pool I believe...LOL
    Perhaps Lt. Columbo could star in a new Peugeot ad... like when he finally comes into a dealer to trade in his old warhorse!

...there was a UK print ad for some econo-box that featured the actors from the British sci-fi show Doctor Who. A couple of them were in the car, and one (I think it was Tom Baker, the guy with the scarf) looked on in curiosity.

The tagline was "it's bigger on the inside than on the outside."

(if you're a sci-fi dork, you get it) :blush:
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    A few years ago, Ford had a limited edition dark green Mustang model it named Bullit. Would like to see Ford offer a current version Mustang in very dark green, with light high-perf V8 engine, no plastic body appendages, wheels similar to movie car, black interior, upgraded susp and manual trans, etc. The current Mustang body is close in appearance to the original 67 or 68 model they used in the movie.

Thought I saw a Ford commercial in recent years with a Steve McQueen (Bullit) look-a-like. Would have this guy do the commcercial for this hoped-for latest Bullit version. Have been away from Ford for quite a while, but I would probably be very interested in this one if they made it.

Think that McQueen had experience in race-car driving in organized competition.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    I'm trying to think of a good MB spokesperson...too bad most are evil or dead (often both)
    Dennis and/or Harry Callahan could extoll the virtues of full-size Ford RWD cars. Let's hope that Ford has a big upgrade coming soon for the full-size RWD cars. These guys could relate to most Americans mid-year age right up to golden senior. Ford could probably sign on Dennis, but Harry is too busy and rich to want to help Ford out. Dennis could use his New Yawk accent and talk about how smooth the new big Ford rides, while not being mushy, and how easy it is on his prostrate when driving over city potholes.
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    The biggest missed opportunity in vehicle advertising was not having Rowan Atkinson, a.k.a. Mr. Bean, pop up in a Mini ad.

Although, they seem to have done well enough without him. :P
  • jesses1jesses1 Member Posts: 9
    A number of years ago, when there was a British sports sedan called the Sterling (sp?) imported into the US, they had an ad that traced a Sterling being driven over mountain roads with very European scenery. The car screeches to a stop and Patick Macnee who played John Steed in the old Avengers TV show emerges from the vehicle and says, "Perhaps you were expecting someone else?"
    I loved that ad. Made me want a Sterling (I didn't know much about cars then... :P ) in the worst way.

I think there were 2 of those ads, one that featured a Bond-girl-type in scuba gear I seem to recall...
    Thought I saw a Ford commercial in recent years with a Steve McQueen (Bullit) look-a-like. Would have this guy do the commcercial for this hoped-for latest Bullit version.

Through the magic of CGI, that was Steve McQueen driving the new Mustang in those ads.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    If I may interject, Mini could use the character of Sam Lowry, he drove a rather small car (a Messerschmitt KR200) in the movie "Brazil".

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    The Sterling was essentially a British-built Accura Legend, with an emphasis placed on "British-built."

One of "Mr. Bean's" real cars is a Maclaren F1. 0-60MPH in 3.2 seconds, and a top end of 232MPH.

It uses a BMW V12 with 627HP@7200RPM and 479 lb/ft@5600RPM. I guess Rowan is a major car freak, and can afford the stratospheric prices too.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    The Tazmanian Devil was pretty good for the Chevy Monte Carlo about 5 years ago. ;)

Rocky
    ...but it would be funny to see Al Bundy promoting "the Mighty Dodge!"
    OMG that would be funny lemko. I wished they'd do a reunion show or bring back the characters. Bud and Kelly could have disfunctional family's of their own. Kinda like a meet the parents type plot only more crude. :D

Yeah Ed O'neil would be a good spokesmouth for dodge if done in a humourous fashion. :shades:

Rocky
    Yeah Ed O'neil would be a good spokesmouth for dodge if done in a humourous fashion.

There is a guy that looks and talks kinda like Bundy doing a commercial on tv. Think it is a loan company. He is member of golf course, shown on rider mower doing lawn, does barbeque, etc. and complains about being in debt up to his eye balls. He would be good spokesperson for bland Ford 500 or Dodge minivan.

Would swear that Married with Children had a live audience. Vast majority of so-called comedies on tv are not, are dreadful and need laugh track recordings to try and make tv audience think that show is funny.

Married was a genuinely funny show - for guys. Wife did not like it, think that many women did not like it.
    Does he keep his right hand in the top of his Dockers ? :D

Rocky
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    xrunner2 (totally off topic) -

Yes, "Married, With Children" was filmed live. I attended the filming of an episode back when I still lived in SoCal. Was one of the last episodes that neighbor "Steve" was in.
    Yes, "Married, With Children" was filmed live.

As opposed to being filmed dead?

smart butt ! :P

Rocky :D
    OK... thinking caps on! :P

Which cars would you have the following characters sell?

Cody Jarret (James Cagney) from White Heat, memorable line: Top of the world Ma!

Inspector Harry Callahan, Go ahead... make my day ;)
    I've honestly never heard of any of those names. I have heard of the movie White Heat. :surprise:

What the heck is Top of the World Ma ? Is that a silent film ? :surprise:

Go ahead... make my day - Was that a onstage play back in Wyatt Earp times ? :surprise:

Rocky
    Which cars would you have the following characters sell? Cody Jarret (James Cagney) from White Heat,

Oh anything with air holes in the trunk. :blush:

LOL... OK... so you're OLD too! ;)

Actually, for Dirty Harry I'm kind of thinking of one of the displacement on demand vehicles. He could pull up at a stop light, look over at the driver of the vehicle next to him and say...

I know what you're thinking. Is he running on all 8 cylinders or only four? Are you feeling lucky punk?
    "Which cars would you have the following characters sell?

Cody Jarret (James Cagney) from White Heat, memorable line: Top of the world Ma!

Inspector Harry Callahan, Go ahead... make my day."

Jarret would have a Caddy...something big. Arguably the same model that Tony Montana ("Say hello to my little friend!") would pitch... ;)

Callahan...no question...Ford Crown Vic. Not pretty, but functional and damn tough.
    Well I am a Cagney fan big time.

How about Wiley E. Coyote for Yugo

The Road Runner for the new Bugatti

Elmer Fudd for whatever Cheney drives.

Speed Racer for Corvette, or better yet racer 'X'.

Matt Dillon for anything Dodge.

Thurston Howell III for Cadillac.

Jack Benny for Chery.

...Speed Racer in a Nissan 350ZX or a Supra if Toyota still made it. He was in a commercial for the VW GTi a few years ago.

How about Tony Soprano for the Escalade? He drives one in the HBO show. Silvio Dante has a Seville STS and Paulie Walnuts is alternately seen in an Eldorado and a DeVille. Phil Leotardo has a very tacky Lincoln Town Car. Tony B. was seen in a big 1975-76 Eldorado convertible.
    Elmer Fudd for whatever Cheney drives.

:D

"I'm hunting wabbit."
    Was one of the last episodes that neighbor "Steve" was in.

Was that Marcy's first or second husband? Every character and casted actor, including dog, was excellent. Writing was superb. Think they started running out of steam in last year. Wonder if anybody is selling DVD sets by year.

To keep this message on-topic, think that Marcy Darcy could do Mercedes commercials. Kelly could do Mustang convertible (with white interior) commercials. Thunderbird would be better, but not in production now.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    Yep, you can get the show in season DVDs now.

And it was a fantastic show, it still just cracks me up.

I think Steve Rhodes had a MB named 'Klaus' - I am pretty sure I remember something about 3 series BMWs, and by the time Jefferson D'Arcy was around, they might have had a MB SL.

In an early episode, Peggy has her own car - a Pinto. There was an episode with the Bundys and a new ca. 1988 Mustang convert, too.

I remember Kelly doing an ad for the Allante.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    suddenly appears in a remake of 'The Guantlet' ... in a Hummer and everyone scatters.
    How about Dr Evil doing a counter-ad to the VW "depimp your ride" ads where he crushes VW's :P
    How about Sanford and Son doing ads for Ford Trucks?

Any James Bond villain who owned large yacht and had good accent. He would appreciate the finer things.

For real people, Jay Leno or Michael Jordan would be fantastic spokespersons for Bugatti. Both could afford and like cars.

But, Bugatti really doesn't need hyping. There are people lined up to get one and Bugatti is supposedly (according to WSJ) very choosy about who they will "let" buy the car. Has to be a car guy (person).
This discussion has been closed.