Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sgtdevlinusmcsgtdevlinusmc Member Posts: 13
    Looked into CarSense; smart move on my part (one of very few-especially when it comes to cars.) I owned a 2007 Buick Lucerne CXS with 9000 miles on it which came equipped with an annoying vibration which GM's "Mr. BadWrench" cold not fix after many, many tries (9). The service manager looked me straight in the eye and told me that he could not fix my car. Period. I was eventually asked to leave the dealership for "haranguing the employees" and told to "find something else to do" by the dealership owner. Like I really liked bringing the car in for service that they could not perform satisfactorily time and time again. They chased the vibration for months by putzing around with wheels, tires, motor mounts, etc. The problem was an internal engine problem. Went with Lemon Lawyer and ended up getting GM to cough up $4k which doesn't sound like much; but it became a deal maker for me. Meanwhile, back to CarSense. I had been scoping out Hundai Azera since day 1; should have gotten one instead of the Buick nightmare. Anyways, CarSense had an 08 Azera with 12k miles on it in pristine condition for $19,900 - a no haggle price. I had only been offered 16 or 17k for the Buick; but CarSense gave me $20k. I swapped my Buick Bomb for the Azera ( a much better car in every way imaginable) and got $10 change. The best deal that I could get from a Hyundai dealer was $16,500 for the Buick and around $23,500 for the used Azera. I have purchased and traded over 40 cars in my young life; and I must state emphatically that this transaction with CarSense was by far the easiest and fairest that I have ever experienced. For anyone looking for an Azera - or any car - for that matter (used that is), I would sincerely suggest looking into CarSense. You can't go wrong. SemperFi
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national reporter is looking to speak to consumers who purchased a Hyundai vehicle recently (within the past four months) because of the Hyundai Assurance Program. Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Friday, June 5, 2009.
  • hc106hc106 Member Posts: 10
    When I went shopping for a new car in 2007, after doing my online research, I had decided it would be a Hyundai Azera Limited or a Toyota Avalon . At the time my sister owned a new Avalon, and I drove it before going shopping.

Since I had driven the Avalon, I went to the Hyundai dealer first. The list price on the Avalon was $5000 more than the Azera; after driving the Azera, & finding it comparable in handling, ride comfort, etc, to the Avalon, I didn't even bother going to the Toyota dealership as it would have been a waste of time.

I have not regretted the decision. I have 25,000 miles on it with no problems, & am extremely happy with my Azera Limited. I will replace it with another Hyundai when the time comes. I would also like to note that I found the transaction at Baytown Hyundai in Baytown, TX, very pleasurable. The salesman and personnel were curtious, knowledgable and informed. Above all, they wanted to sell cars and we were able to negotiate a price that was around $400 over invoice. I have had the car serviced there since purchase, and have been very happy with the service department also.
  • dcrobbie22041dcrobbie22041 Member Posts: 15
    My dealer, Alexandria Hyundai in VA, set up my automatic lock system (to not unlock automatically when put into park, but still lock the doors when shifted out of park) and limp home mode for free in the first month after I bought my 2008 Azera in July 2008. I do have to mention, however, that the Service Dept. people didn't really have a clue what I was talking about except for my reference to the manual, but wrote it up and referred it to the Korean mechanic they have on staff. Said Korean mechanic came out to see me while I was waiting (Korean language service manual in-hand) to confirm what I had asked to be done. All done perfectly.

My hunch is that Seoul hasn't done the greatest job of writing up the minutiae of some of the settings in the English service manuals and materials that dealers here have and I was lucky enough to be at a dealership with Korean mechanic and some Korean salespeople. Alexandria Hyundai seems to get a lot of business from the local Korean community here in Northern Virginia and I fully intend to keep going back. Great buying and service experience so far with my 2008 Azera so far. This is my 3rd Hyundai and 1st one I bought from this dealership.

Additional note, avoid Fairfax (VA) Hyundai like the plague! Rip off artists, if they can get away with it, in both the sales and service departments.
  • larry134larry134 Member Posts: 40
    Good luck for 17k. I was just at a hyundai dealership looking at a 09 sante fe. I have a azera '08 limited with the ultimate package. They offered me $18,000 for my car! Ofcourse I have only 8013 miles on it as of today
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Then it will go on the lot for 23k and someone will actually buy it. The question is why would you want to trade anyway? Seems like a nice ride.
  • bmb1767bmb1767 Member Posts: 64
    I live in Eastern NC and have been researching a Genesis and finally decided to do it with the current lease program. Contacted every Hyundai dealership from Raleigh to the coast giving numbers via email and could we make a deal.

My dealer experience:

Joe Pecheles (Greenville): This was actually the 2nd Hyundai I tried to buy from them in the past 2 months. Friends were looking for an Elantra. They tried to play games with me then (Sales Manager and Salesman) and lied to me when I stopped by a couple of weeks ago to look at the Genesis (BTW I did not give them my name either time.) Never even responded to me regarding the Genesis after emails.
    JERKS!

Medlin Hyundai (Rocky Mount): Contacted me 3 days after receiving my email. Also would not give any numbers on the phone regarding friend's Elantra.

Southern States (Raleigh): Agreed on Genesis, but BS me on trade-in and Genesis lease incentives.

Lee Hyundai (Fayetteville): Okay, just slow to get back with me on numbers. by the time they did I had bought a car from............

Hyundai of New Bern (New Bern): I ended up buying my friend's Elantra from them after calling one time and talking to Sales Manager. Gave great deal in writing and only kept my friends long enough to get paperwork done. Wally and Liz were great.

I went down there to look at Genesis and talk numbers after initial conversations. Not feeling really good thinking maybe financially I needed to wait until next Summer. They had an 2009 white Azera. LOVED IT. Just about everything you get with a loaded Genesis for A LOT less $$$. Worked with Liz again as well as Bobby and Cecil. Mr. Strickland (owner) was also very nice and friendly. No pressure, easy process. :0)
  • 101649101649 Member Posts: 192
    after all this, what kind of a deal did you get???
    I purchased a 2009 Azera Limited Ultimate Navigation package with Bluetooth, carpet mats and beautiful white paint. Traded in 2004 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer with 120,000. Had a little negative equity due to plumenting SUV values due to prior high cost of gas.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but got below invoice, plus $1000 rebate, plus special financing rate that my credit union could not touch. :)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is looking to see if you were looking to purchase a Toyota or Honda vehicle but after doing some comparison shopping, purchase a Hyundai or Kia because of price/value . Please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by Friday, October 9, 2009.
  • craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    Just signed on to a used 2008 Azera Limited with Ultimate package.
    White pearl,
    Beige leather
    42,000 miles
    $17,000 OTD(this figure includes tax, tag transfer etc..)

I've been a Hyundai owner since 1988 having owned a '88 Excel, '92 Scoupe, '98 Sonata, 2001 Santa Fe, 2007 Santa Fe and my wife currently drives a '08 Hyundai Veracruz Limited that she loves.

I drive a company car(Grand Caravan) but considering my son is learning to drive and I wanted a sedan, I felt the Azera would make an ideal used vehicle purchase. When you factor in the impressive engineering, features, quality and surprising depreciation of the Azera, it became a screaming bargain!

Cannot wait to detail this car and make it shinier than new.

Craig
    I have the same exact car except mine is 2009. You will love it!
  • craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    We've had our '08 Azera since Saturday and we are really impressed with the ride. I'm assuming we have the updated struts as our car has 42,500 miles and rides fantastic!

Whats so remarkable is we also own a Veracruz with the same 3.8 litre engine and the Azera accelerates and shifts sooooo much better. Hard to believe they're the same engine!

Craig
    Enjoy your car. I love my 2009! I hope to add on mud guards this weekend to keep the paint in great shape. :)
  • cecaldcecald Member Posts: 2
    After researching Azera's for a week (as well as prices all over Virginia), I finally decided on a used 2008 Azera Limited with what I believe is the ultimate package (telescoping steering wheel, adjustable pedals, etc) with 40K. I called approximately 4 dealerships, and the best price I negotiated was $15,300 OTD through Charles from Hall Automotive in Va Beach.

Charles was an absolute gentlemen, along with being very easy to talk to and negotiate with. I'm very glad to give him my business.

The other dealerships include one in VA beach whose internet salesperson (Scott) hung up on me (details: I let him know that I was looking at another Azera which had a price $1500 less than the one he was selling. He tried to justify his markup by saying it was due to the fact that his carried a transferable warranty, and he could ALMOST guarantee that his had better tires and fresher brakes. I then said that I could buy brand new tires and brakes for less than $1500. Then he hung up.) Another dealer in Richmond, VA had two Azeras with the exact same mileage and details, but couldn't get the price even close to the $15,300. Still, they didn't hang up on me.

Anyways, looking forward to closing the deal on Friday when I can make it down there to pick it up. Also, thanks to everyone for their prior posts as I utilized them for my research.
  • wobbly_earswobbly_ears Member Posts: 160
    @cecald,

In case you are yet to close the deal, I suggest that you hold out for a better deal. The price seems a little high.

Try looking through Carmax & see if the Azeras they have on their inventory matches your requirement. Down here in Texas, I have seen a lot of Azeras under 35k miles being listed for under 13-14k on Carmax & other dealers.
  • cecaldcecald Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the heads up, unfortunately, I've looked on carmax, cars.com, craiglist - and this seems to be the best price I can come to within a decent drive of Richmond, VA. Everyone else has theirs listed for around $17K up here. Maybe next time I'll take a trip to Texas to find one!
  • wobbly_earswobbly_ears Member Posts: 160
    They might be expensive in VA. But Carmax usually transfers cars from across the country for only few hundred dollars. I remember someone getting a car transferred from OH to TX for 500 from Carmax.

Just look around. It might even be cheaper to fly to Texas & drive back! (Just looking out for you buddy!)
  • dcrobbie22041dcrobbie22041 Member Posts: 15
    For anyone who has any doubts, my 2008 Azera Limited is doing fabulously, even after a major rear-end accident last year. The 22 year old driver of an Enterprise rental car (whose car was already in the shop from another accident) took out my left rear quarter-panel, tire, chunk off the steel wheel, and spun me around. I was not only uninjured, but managed to pull the car off onto the shoulder on 395-South in DC. The Chevy Malibu she was driving was totaled and she ended up 500 feet up the roadway. Only reason she didn't end up in the slammer was the fact that her boyfriend in the car was a DC cop.

5k cost to repair my Azzy, but Falls Church Auto Body (Virginia) did such a great job that my mechanic at Alexandria Hyundai said he wouldn't have noticed the work unless I had mentioned it when I asked to have them put it onto the rack so we both could see it. Only minor, millimeter sized, differences from what it should be.

My bottom line...safe car, saved me from whiplash...definitely will drive it until it dies, even if I can afford a fancier car in the meantime. 'Mi-Ok', Korean for 'beautiful pearl' will be my girl for a long time...
  • bobdhwkrbobdhwkr Member Posts: 4
    I've had my 2011 Azera Limited for about a month now and, so far, I've been very pleased! Very uneventful purchase. I paid cash and didn't qualify for any incentives. The finance guy was very efficient and didn't try to sell me a bunch of extras. It was done as fast as I could sign the papers & write the check. The price was $300 below invoice plus they gave me $800 more on my trade in than my CarMax appraisal. I was very pleased because I didn't have a very desirable vehicle for trade. I test drove 7 cars before making my decision. It’s not often you find the least expensive choice to have the highest quality!
  • jamazerajamazera Member Posts: 149
    check out the difference between dealer invoice and dealer cost and see how well you did
    Who knows what true dealer cost is, but I think I did pretty well for where I live & the number of dealers to choose from. They matched the lowest price I could get in a 100-mile radius, and then gave me $800 more on my trade than anyone else, plus they didn't charge for the $100 floor mats on the sticker. The $775 transportation fee was in the sticker price. I read on the Internet dealer hold back was $902 on these cars, but couldn’t find any info on factory incentives for the dealer. The only add on, besides sales tax, was a $399 "administrative fee, they refused to negotiate. If I missed something in the process I would like to know, so I can be better armed next time.
    check around on the internet...Edmunds.com is a good start
    I would think you probably got more on your trade in because you paid cash for the car. Only question though.....curious as to why when paying cash, you didn't get a 2009 or 2010, and not lose about $7000 when you drove the car off the lot.
    Because of my past experience two things I will never do again: Buy an American car or buy a used car. Plus I liked the bigger engine in the 2011 and I wanted the full 5 year-60000 mile warranty. Other dealers knew I was paying cash, but didn't want the trade in.
  • SilverBullet00SilverBullet00 Member Posts: 102
    I'm confused, how come you wanted the full 5 year-60000 mile warranty on a new Azera?. I thought you get a 10 year-100000 mile warranty on a new Azera. I got the full 5 year-60000 on my used 5000 mile 2008 Azera. :confuse:
  • cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    Let me be the first to welcome you to the AZERA section of Edmunds. Regardless of what kind of deal you got on your Azera - you're going to love the car for years to come.
    Thanks for the welcome. I'm really impressed with this car, especially after test driving six others. I thought it was the best on almost all counts & the least expensive!
  • mozartmanmozartman Member Posts: 19
    I bought 2008 Azera Limited with Ultimate package last week from private seller. Car had 12,000 miles on it. Paid $15,000.
  • oskidunker1oskidunker1 Member Posts: 213
    That sounds like a good deal. Here in the San francisco bay area a dealer is trying to sell a 2006 for 16K and private partied want $1500 for 2007's with 45k on them. way too much.The market can't be that wide for these cars. I imagine you could get a great deal.
  • mozartmanmozartman Member Posts: 19
    Well, about a month ago, before I started looking for my "new" used car I saw news report on TV that used car market was crazy this year. Later, when I decided to buy slightly used Azera, I began searching Autotrader and local Craig List.

I was searching every day for a month. The cheapest price and mileage I found was 2009 Azera Limited with 13,000 miles in Florida (and I live in Michigan) priced at $19,880. Then I decided to search Craig List in the nearby states. And I found this car in Ohio Cleveland area. And I drove there two time, to test the car, and then to get it because this was a steal.
  • romil01romil01 Member Posts: 75
    The following is a lease I signed on a 2013 Azera with Tech Package (all accessories, paint protectant, leather protectant, and window tint included):

36 months / 15,000 miles per year
    MF = 0.00136
    Residual = 55%
    MSRP = $37,565 (asking price $39,040 with dealer options added to include protectants and tint)
    Invoice = $34,969
    Price Paid = $34,479
    Adjusted Cap Cost = $33,962 with $2250 worth of rebates
    Out of Pocket = $0 + Free iPad Mini

Total monthly payment including NV sales tax = $480.
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    edited February 2013
    REF: 1103
    why isn't the cap cost lower?
    34479 - 2250 + 595 = 32824 (not 33962)

Adding $180 tax on the 2250 still makes it 33004
    is something missing?
    Because the doc fee and title fee and sales tax on the cap cost reduction are also included. I tried to get them to remove the doc fee but they wouldn't. Hyundai isn't currently providing any incentives to the dealers on the Azera.
    You need to go back and complain about this deal.
    1. The doc fee in Nevada is completely optional (i.e., negotiable)
    2. There is $1000 lease bonus cash on the Azera:
    "Lease Bonus Cash Leasing Bonus Cash
    Requirements and Restrictions:
    Customer Bonus Cash is available towards leasing. Available on 36-48 month term contracts. Must finance through Hyundai Motor Finance.
    Leasing Bonus Cash Start End
    $1,000 01/03/2013 04/01/2013

Raise some hell with them; they were not honest with you.
    edited February 2013
    I know the doc fee isn't mandatory and I told them exactly that, but they refused to budge on it.

I actually did get the $1,000 lease cash, in addition to the $750 loyalty discount, and $500 military discount for a total of $2,250 in incentives.

The doc fee was really the only part of the lease I wan't too happy with. I was able to get out of my Sonata lease a few months early though and not have to pay the disposition fee, so I can't complain too much.

I don't know what good complaining would do anyways since I already signed on the dotted line.
    OK, i understand better now. You did get the 1000 lease cash as part of the 2250. Nice upgrade from the Sonata; I am jealous. My Sonata lease is up in 2 months but i am shopping the new Accord. Enjoy your new luxury car!
    edited February 2013
    Thanks! Yeah it really is significantly nicer than the Sonata...and it should be since it is nearly double the price of the base model Sonata GLS I had. The engine is smooth and powerful, it is much quieter inside, the interior is amazing, and the Infinity sound system is pristine. No joke, this car is nicer than some of the much more expensive luxury cars I test drove. The panoramic sunroof and in-cabin ambient LED lighting at night are also pretty sweet.

I also shopped the new Accord, and it is a great car. I liked a few things about the Azera better...especially the looks and the feel that it is more of a luxury car than the Accord. The interior is nicer too. The Accord is a bit more reasonably priced, gets better mileage, and actually accelerates quite a bit faster if you get the V-6. But overall, I still like the Azera more.
    April MT tested the '13 Azera...came in second to Avalon.....Azera base $33145 as tested $37,290.....get an Audi....
    I drove the new Avalon. It is a nice car, but the Azera's interior is better. Also, there are zero incentives on the Avalon right now and the money factor is high. It would have cost me over $100/month more to lease an Avalon, and that is in Touring trim which doesn't even have leather. To get leather, you are looking at $39K min for an Avalon which would have pushed the monthly payment well over $600/month. I could have leased a Mercedes E Class for less than that.

I drove the Audi A4 and A6. The A6 was nice, but way too pricey and the lease was pretty awful on it. The A4 was decent, but the Azera has a better interior. I also have kids, so the tiny trunk and back seat in the A4 didn't quite cut it for car seats and strollers.
    A6 is very nice......how about a Cadillac CTS???? there are deals on them currently....
    CTS is a bit dated now, especially with a redesign around the corner. I was actually considering the ATS, it was one of the best cars I drove out of the 15 or so cars that I compared. But just like the A4, it was way too small (and the CUE system sucks).

Not that it matters now...I am in the Azera lease for the next 36 months and I love the car.
    cts is the best "barvarian/[non-permissible content removed] fighter "we have....ats is the 1 series competition
    I'm looking for the "black series" cts-v with all the goodies...at one time the fastest production sedan.....no longer since the panamera is now faster...but not just for speed....cts is a great car....i don't think the mid cycle redesign will change styling...caddilac is into the new "wedge and chisiled" style now..cts wagon is also very nice....currently own a black over black 06 (25k mi) azera premium that has been flashed and dynoed @ 300 hp at the wheels lots of carbon fiber upgrades also....wouldn't trade it for any other azera that i've seen.. my daily driver is an 01Santa Fe with 150k mi m both were bought new at first launch for both models
    edited February 2013
    Once you start tacking options onto the Cad, BMW, or Audi, they are way more expensive. For similar equipment levels to your Azera ( Heated Leather, moonroof, NAV, etc. ) the ATS, which has the same interior dimensions as the BMW 3 series ( except 2" less rear legroom ) is $42K and the BMW is $47K....and like you say - they have much less room.

For similar bucks, the Buick Lacrosse Premium II looks very competitive and features the HiPer strut suspension that eliminates torque steer in high powered FWD cars like the Azera. Our '06 Azera torque steers badly, get a downshift to 2nd on a crowned road and if I'm not holding on and anticipating the response, it would be easy to end up in the ditch.

Enjoy your new Azera!
  • penzfan1penzfan1 Member Posts: 28
    Speaking of the '06 Azera. I'm thinking replacing the shocks/struts on my '06 with 54k miles. Any suggestions? Thanks
    The HiPer Strut suspension is not simply a strut fix, but a different suspension design, here's a link:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/ford-revoknuckle-and-gm-hiper-strut-explain- ed-tech-dept

IMO, the Azera front end problems can not be fixed with a strut replacement. I guess if the struts on our Azera went bad - as exhibited by loss of damping, uncontrolled bouncing up and down, porpoising - I would look at a strut replacement with one of the higher end aftermarket products. Till then, we motor on with a front suspension design that has some problems.
    haven't experienced any suspension problems...did replace OEM Micheliins with Yoko S Drives...very much inproved ride...
  • antoniokantoniok Member Posts: 2
    Can someone share the information about price paid for Hyundai Azera 2013 in the Texas area with the selected options? Please indicate the price without taxes and title etc. Thanks.
  • simonstefanosimonstefano Member Posts: 4
    2013 Azera with Tech package, negotiated to 32k, no military or student discount. Love the car, but did not buy it and bought new Kia Cadenza instead. Horrible experience. As long time hyundai owner I've had enough! I owned Accent, then Elantra, and then 2007 Azera Limited. When i bought My 2007 Azera was the last time I had normal somewhat pleasant experience. Always recomenended Hyundai and help negotiated for my friends 2 elantras, 3 sonatas, 1 accent. Not anymore. Not sure what happened at all WA dealers, but they become greedy nasty liars trying to pull all tricks on the book.
    Trying to sell my 2007 Azera now, what do you think is a good price for 87k miles, but mint condition?
  • oumedoumed Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2013
    simonstefano,

I'm currently evaluating a 2014 Cadenza vs a 2013 Azera. Are you stating that your Cadenza buying experience was horrible, your Azera buying experience was horrible or both were horrible? So far, my Kia sales person has been laid back... perhaps too laid back! The Hyundai people have been as you described, so much so that I'm working on an internet deal with two other dealers 200-250 miles away that appear to be more on the up and up. We shall see.

Also, how do you like the Cadenza? I'm a bit put off that the Cadenza's UVO service does not offer remote start as does the Blue Link service on the Azera. Its odd, one can have dealer installed remote start added on a Kia Rio, Soul or any other lower model but that is not offered or even possible on Kia's new "near luxury" model Cadenze. Strange.