Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Highlander

Comments

• Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    "I went to the Chicago auto show this weekend with my husband and left with a renewed appreciation for the Highlander"

It was our visit to this show last year that led us to purchase the Highlander a week later. We were at the show about 2.5 hrs with at least 1 hr of that time spent as my wife went back and forth between the Highlander, Pilot, and Murano. Back to back test drives the following weekend left no doubt about the choice.

This year it's my turn to pick a new car!
  • Options
    sitara24sitara24 Member Posts: 5
    Does anybody know how the the AVG miles per gallon is calculated in Highlander Ltd? Does it take into account all the miles from the last time that number was zeroed out or it is a rolling average of let say last few days or few miles?

Thank you for the help.
  • Options
    srcsrc Member Posts: 2
    Change oil every 10000???????? What about the filter??????????
  • Options
    The computer is apparently reset when the fuel filler cap is removed so the average is based on miles driven since your last fill up and some algorithm based on speed or engine revs or something. In my experience, the computer is about 1 mpg too high vs. an actual calculation (miles driven/gallons used.)
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Unless the manufacturer is recommending otherwise, there's no reason to think the filter can't handle 10,000 normal driving miles. If you were concerned, you could pay $10 for an oil analysis and see how your oil is holding up.

Love the oil wars:

Engine Oil - A slippery subject Part 2

Steve, Host
  • Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

I have only had three fills of the tank but the digital read out appears to be very accurate with less than 0.5% error apparent. Discrepancy is likely to be variation in level of fill from tank to tank.

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    ken7707ken7707 Member Posts: 13
    On the Highlander, is AWD active all the time, or does it only become active when slipping is detected by the computer?

I can't seem to find the answer reading through the forums.

Thanks
  • Options
    While waiting for replies in here, check out Toyota 4WD systems explained. The Search This Discussion tool may help you find posts too.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    at all times, but is only "enforced" if a wheel or wheels slip.
  • Options
    I tried two HL's at the same Dealership. One had a Manual seat and the other had the 8-way Power seat.

It seemed to me that the Power seat felt more comfortable and after I made a few adjustments I was good to go and it felt great!

I struggled with the Manual seat on the other HL and I couldn't quite dial in the same feeling I had using the Power seat...My hand was getting tired trying to find a good spot...LOL

The salesman told me that the functions are the same and if I spent the time, I would get the same comfort level on the manual seat that I had on the Power seat of the HL...I tried but could not get there.

Is this true what he said, or is there a difference between the Power and Manual seats?

Thanks
  • Options
    generally have more vertical travel...
  • Options
    desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Were the seats of the same material? i.e. there is a distinctly different feel to a leather seat vs a cloth one.
  • Options
    rust1rust1 Member Posts: 13
    Power seats are the best IMO. I liked the Santa Fe I test drove, but hated the manual seat. Spoil yourself, and go power.
  • Options
    They were both the same material...

It wasn't so much the feel as it was the comfort level...I felt better in the powered seat...

I hope I can get the Powered seat without having to get one of those packages that I do not want...

I have not started the final process yet...But I'm getting ready to start dealing soon :)
  • Options
    Leather seats with power often go for a fairly low price on ebay. I bought one for a 97 ES300 that even included the memory ECU and put it in the drivers position of my MH.
  • Options
    dawneedawnee Member Posts: 59
    I tried posting this in the Prices Paid area but got no responses at all. Just need some advice as this will be first Toyo purchase and am not sure how flexible dealers are. Only have experience with GM dealers.

I am looking at a 2005 HL Ltd 4x2, white. It has TO,VV and list for $31,784 and with my research I feel that $29,077 is fair price, not including rebate, so with rebate $28,077 plus tax, tags, fees. I have calculated the payments here on Edmunds and they are in my budget because their calculators project the fees for tags, tax, etc. So it gives a truer bottom line price. I also have a trade-in but I feel it is better to make the deal on the 05 and then haggle the trade in separate.

Does this sound too ridiculous? It is basically $2,707 off sticker before rebate.

I am in the Southeast area of the country.
  • Options
    The Southeast has a captive Toyota distributor (SET) and they have a reputation for higher prices, different option packs, and add-ons. The Gulf States distributor is similar. link.

If the dealer won't meet your out the door price, try shopping in Tennessee or states north.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    I've got the manual seats, and my cousin's got the power seats. There is more vertical range in the power seats, but there's two things that the manual does better. First, it goes a little farther back - important for us tall folk. And second, when you move the power seat all the way back, it automatically tilts the seat back. I prefer the seat to be flat, and the manual seat lets you do this- you can raise or lower the front of the seat; and you can raise or lower the rear of the seat independently. The power seat won't - it forces some interaction. It lowers the rear of the seat when seat is moved all the way back. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    vatrojanvatrojan Member Posts: 3
    SRC: Don't believe the marketing hype. Synthetic oil and a good quality filter will hold up to at least 10,000 miles (or more) if you change at least both at least once per year. Mobil 1 is now offering an extended oil that's good up to 15,000 miles or once per year.

Many auto makers are stepping up to recommending longer oil change intervals. Cadillac and Mercedes come to mind. The days of the 3,000 mile oil change are over unless you feel the need to waste your time , money and want to do your part to spoil the environment.

VaTrojan
  • Options
    Suspiciously, when manufactures started offering free maintenance for 1, 2,or 3 years whatever the case may be, it was now okay to extend the oil change interval. My Jaguar is every 10k and they cover all maintenance for the first three years. I personally am not comfortable as it takes me a year to get the 10K so I change it myself at 5k, 15k etc. That much short hop, stop and go driving is hard on any oil.
  • Options
    coug2coug2 Member Posts: 34
    I live in WA, but am working with a dealer in CA who can get me the HL equip how I want. I'm wondering if anyone knows, however, if the HL from CA are different in anyway from the HL outside of CA? Specifically, are CA HL different because of CA emission laws?

Thanks in advance...
  • Options
    gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    Can someone tell me why the Central Atlantic region does NOT order any Highlanders with side air-bags other than Limiteds? Has $30,000 plus now become the minimum threshold for purchasing a safe car?
  • Options
    edhedh Member Posts: 246
    Has your dealer looked around ?

we got the o4 basic v6 with side air bags and a lot of other stuff includ $300 sales tx for 27714.
    our SE dealer had to look around only 3 in the whole Se district at that time
    they got one in 1 day from 250 miles away-
  • Options
    sitara24sitara24 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 02 Ltd 4WD. I want to add a subwoofer (I am not too impressed with Bass). Can someone help me with this as to what kind, where to put and what are the connections?

I really appreciate any kind of help
  • Options
    bikeman3bikeman3 Member Posts: 85
    gpolt, dealers seem to have a problem ordering vehicles with safety options, such as ABS on the corolla its nearly impossible to find one with ABS. dealers seem to think we won't pay for safety so they dont even try. If there is adealer out there taht will respond Im sure we would all appreciate it
  • Options
    I'm not a dealer - far from it. But I was speaking to 5 of them trying to order a Tacoma with VSC/TRAC a while back - and found that the dealer isn't the real problem. Toyota makes a line of such strong selling vehicles that it can tell the dealer to take what they make. You can't even "order" what you want - at best you can send in a "preference". No kidding, that's their term. In my case, Toyota still refused to build it. Pretty arrogant, and it gives me the urge to deal with other manufacturers. Trouble is, they're all trying to emulate the Big Success Story of Toyota. I also couldn't find a Nissan Altima 4-cylinder with ABS, in over 4 months of looking. Bought a used 4-cylinder Highlander instead. It's great, by the way - for what it is.
  • Options
    pcritpcrit Member Posts: 27
    It took me 5 weeks to get an HL AWD with side airbags, because Toyota ships very few of these to the southeast region too(I'm in Atlanta). I had to "move up" to the Limited, all leather, heated seats, etc., just because that's they way it was equipped. I got a decent price ($200 over factory invoice), but I was forced to pay more in order to get the side airbags in an AWD.

So the answer to your question is, yes. I think it's a calculated decision by Toyota in order to sell more of the higher-end vehicles because they know that they will definitely sell, and not remain on the lots for the '05 clearance sales in the late summer. By the way, I really like the HL.
  • Options
    vlanman25vlanman25 Member Posts: 49
    I"m not an expert in this area and I live in Mass. but it's my understanding Highlanders like most cars sold in the US have 50 state emissions which in the Highlander's case appears as an option with "FE" on the sticker.. -Ken
  • Options
    star51star51 Member Posts: 17
    I'm one of those drivers who like to check over their shoulder when changing lanes, but find that tinted windows reduce your visibility.

Do any of the 2005 Highlander trims come with clear-glass windows, or at least a lighter tint?
  • Options
    There is an option AG (appearance package)that includes the privacy glass, mudgards, etc. It would seem if you don't get this option, you won't have the privacy glass.

The emissons are for all 50 states.
  • Options
    michaelp1michaelp1 Member Posts: 14
    I was also concerned about the tinted windows, but have not found it to be a problem in switching lanes - the overall visibility with the HL is excellent given the large side mirrors. If you get tinted, I would advise not to get the dimming rear view mirror. I did, and find the combo of dimming mirror / tinted rear window a bit too dark.
  • Options
    star51star51 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks, desertguy and michaelp1, for the responses. Good point about not combining the dimming rearview mirror with tinted rear window.

Now a new question: if anyone knows, can you get different densities of tint, or are you limited to just one grade of tint for the windows?
  • Options
    eddieeeddiee Member Posts: 25
    Toyota seems to be far behind in commitment to safety. I have an 02 Highlander and my wife had a 96 Camry, that we wanted to replace with another Camry. We were going to get an 04 when they had good rebates but backed off when we couldn't find one with side curtain airbags. The side crash results for Camrys without side curtain airbags are not good. We still wanted the car so we "ordered" an 05 Camry SE with all the typical options that they bundle plus side curtain airbags. We were told that this would take 8 weeks.
    I checked back after 8 weeks and found that our "Preference" for side curtain airbags had been rejected several times. I think the salesman said that they submit their "Preferences" ever 2 weeks. He said that he had searched all the Northeast and couldn't find one being delivered with side curtain airbags. This is for the SE which is their sport model which you would think would even more likely have side curtain airbags.
    We finally gave up and got an Altima. They had several with side curtain airbags in stock.
    Toyota is dumb where they seem to think that people will not pay for safety. Just this year they made ABS standard where other manufacturers have had these standard for years.
    Toyota lost a sale from a previously satisfied, loyal, reliable customer (we have owned 4 Toyotas) because of this "Preference" foolishness and lack of commitment to safety.
    Eddie
  • Options
    Well obviously you can get various degrees of tint if it is after market but the factory tint cannot be varied. I actually love mine. It is extremely hard to see IN the rear windows but I hardly notice it from the inside looking out. In the Arizona sun it is a winner.
  • Options
    georgeb7georgeb7 Member Posts: 35
    I test-drove a 2005 Highlander this weekend. I did not experience the hesitation problem but did notice a different problem.

When I was driving on the freeway, I opened the two passenger windows in the back. The car started shaking and my ears hurt from a loud noise that resulted from the windows being open. Between the shaking and the noise, it was quite spooky. Had to roll them up to feel safe.

I had heard of this before after reading the NHTS (National Highway Traffic and Safety) web site. Sure enough it is absolutely true!
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Of the vehicles I own, the Highlander is clearly the worse in that aspect. It really does hurt my ears.
  • Options
    "I opened the two passenger windows in the back. The car started shaking.."

All vehicles do this to some extent. I cannot say that the HL is worse than others. I think in general SUVs are going to be worse than passenger cars but even my Olds Intrigue does it enough to be annoying.
  • Options
    rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    All vehicles do that to some extend but SUVs are worse for it. I have a '04 RAV that does it, and I had a '00 4Runner that did also. Also had 2 Cherokees in the 90s that did it. Don't put the rear windows down at speed, although a small amount down doesn't seem too bad IMO.
  • Options
    emprofemprof Member Posts: 2
    I purchased the Highlander LTD 4x4 a couple weeks ago. Here are my reflections: The vehicle handles like a big car. The V-6 engine makes the SUV feel much peppier than the 4 cylinder. The mileage appears to be ok for an SUV so I can't be too unhappy. I also have a 2000 Toyota Camry LE(4 cyl), which has been a terrific car. I got the LTD in part because I wanted the side airbags and decided to go the luxury route for the first time in many years. I also had to trade in my daughter's car, a 2002 Toyota Corolla. Because she never took good care of it, I could not just sell it outright. I very much like the spaciousness of the Highlander. I'm not big on car trunks, and having the rear hatch makes it easier to park. I suspect that the privacy glass has been improved over the years because I have not noticed any problem with visibility as was the case with my 1994 Plymouth Voyager minivan. In fact the Highlander has better visibility all the way around the vehicle than any of the many vehicles I have owned over the years. One of the reasons I purchased the Highlander was to increase my view of the road. I also got the LTD because it came with the JBL sound system. In addition to the nice sound, I especially like the fact that when you have this system, you get the antenna in the glass rather than an antenna mast. My wife likes cars with heated seats, so this feature is a plus.
  • Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

I wonder how this works but I have no problems winding the rear windows down but suffer mild buffeting with the drivers window down. I suspect the change may be partially due to different loading in the rear load space as I always carry two largish bags with my work/safety gear in them.

Try changing the volume in the rear compartment and see if this modifies the resonant frequency of the vehicle.

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    The Highlander/Kluger does seem to have more of this wind buffeting / "blowing over the top of the bottle" effect than any car, truck, or SUV I've had in the past. I take this as a sign of good design. But so what? All that needs to be done is crack open a rear window a bit - maybe 2 inches. There doesn't seem to be any air going thru the rear window - it just de-tunes the resonance. Problem solved.

And it's no mystery why this happens, either. The Highlander is extremely-well sealed against air exchange in to out. This is one of the things that makes it such a quiet ride. Sound is nothing more than the vibration of air at your ear, and if you can keep the air inside from vibrating like the air outside (like from tire noise, engine noise, etc.) you've got the job well in hand. I noticed some ways Toyota does this, while replacing my front speakers - the speakers themselves are used as noise barriers, as the speaker has a built-in housing that seals with foam tape to the speaker opening on the door. They do pay attention to this stuff. I've done speakers on perhaps a dozen cars, and never seen this attention to detail before. And it works - I'm always amazed after driving or riding in another vehicle, how quiet my 4-cyl Highlander is, going down the road at 75mph.
  • Options
    Which is also the reason, cause, for which you will occasionally have the interior surface of the windshield fogging over. Or encounter the horrid odor of mold and mildew exhausting from the A/C ducts.

No rapid "escape" path of the stale and humid passenger atmosphere absent lowering one of the (rear?) windows slightly...

What is that booming noise I hear?
  • Options
    Yup, I noticed the fogging too. So I put the HVAC into Defrost mode, and it clears up for awhile. No big deal. But I'm pretty sure it was you who has mentioned cbest(?) options awhile back, and one of those options was to not "link" the A/C to the defrost. I'd like to do this un-linking - how do I do it? Do I need to have it done by a Toyota dealer? It was not surprising to me that it was linked - most vehicles are these days. But it is surprising that the indicator light for "A/C" does not go on in the Defrost mode, even though the A/C compressor is running.
  • Options
    phrosutphrosut Member Posts: 122
    Since we like our HL so much and intend on keeping it, yesterday we purchased the Platinum extended warranty from our Toyota dealer. (We are at 34,000 miles and 30 months since our purchase). ToyotaWarranty.com had a better price, and our dealer matched it. The dealer also offered an option: for $200 more, if we don't use the warranty, we can get the full price (including the $200) refunded. Sounded like a great deal, so we took it.

At home, reading the fine print, I learned the following:

There is ONLY a 60 day 'window' at the end of the extended warranty to apply for the refund. If we don't apply in that window, we don't get the refund. Can't apply before that 'window' nor after.

We MUST still own (and provide a copy of the registration showing we own) the vehicle. If we've traded it, totalled it, or don't have a current registration, NO REFUND.

As I read it, if we use ANY part of the warranty (i.e. towing to the nearest Toyota dealer) then NO REFUND.

The contract (for the refund) MUST be in force for at least 48 months.

There were more 'rules' but I found those listed above pretty significant. We would have still purchased the package but it would have been better had we known the "exclusions" that applied (especially the one about us still owning the car in 2009). I remember one post on this forum about the expense of a heater control module at maybe 40,000 miles that exceeded $900 (tho Toyota eventually paid for 1/2). The thought of all the computer parts in this vehicle prompted my fear of future repairs.

Phil
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    You didn't read it before signing it? Having been burned by an OEM warranty, Warranty Gold, I would have read every word before signing it.
  • Options
    Dealer set option only.
  • Options
    There was a post a couple of years ago on Edmunds by someone who didn't use their refundable extended warranty (don't remember what manufacturer now).

They met all the criteria, but missed the window to claim the refund by a few weeks. No dice....

Steve, Host
  • Options
    marklinmarklin Member Posts: 12
    I was in a rush to work this morning, while backing the HL out of the garage, the side mirror hit the doorjamb and broke a small piece of the plastic cover. Since there's no damage to the mirror, and it'll probably cost a lot to replace the whole unit, I am thinking of using crazy glue to restore it. Do you think it'll hold against weather and trembling and vibration from roads?

Thanks,
    Mark
  • Options
    jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    I feel your pain...My wife did that with a car once, but bent the mirror back, rather than braking it...we thought we were going to have to replace the whole door, as the metal door frame was bent also....It cost us less than the door price to get it bent back, and, we suffered with an slight air noise till we sold the car.

Two ideas...
    1. Why not try it? I think it will work, but if not, you have nothing to loose. You can always replace the mirror later.

2.You might be able to find a used one....there are several online places to buy used Toyota parts. I don't have the links here, but a search for used toyota parts should bring up several.