Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Lucerne Prices Paid and Buying Experience

kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
edited March 2014 in Buick
Tell us what you paid for your new Buick Lucerne!

Edmunds Price Checker
Edmunds Lease Calculator
Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Comments

• jsieksjsieks Member Posts: 5
    I have selected a Buick (2006) Lucerne. CXL V8. Options are Sun Roof, Stabilitrac and confidence package. The sales price is 30,800.

The car is currently on order; sage mist. At this point, I believe I probably could chisel another 1500 to 2000 off the price but am not going to bother.

Upon taking delivery and driving for a few days, I will post a follow-up to this message.

If anyone is looking for a reason to return to purchasing an American car, the Lucerne is it.
  • dandydon2dandydon2 Member Posts: 77
    Would you mind stating prices in terms of the MSRP, including transportation, and invoice?
  • kkrinnkkrinn Member Posts: 14
    jsieks,
    I ordered the sage mist as well, and my price was just about identical to yours...In all of Columbus, there wasn't a sage mist CXL anywhere so I had to order it. Let me know how long you had to wait. BTW, I saw a CX sagemist here and it had a yellow pinstipe. I'm going to put that on mine 'cause I thought it really looked sharp and I also ordered the spoiler in primer paint. It doesn't come in sagemist, so the dealership will have to paint it to match. I'm surprised there aren't that many Lucernes in that color around so it should be distictive!
    I ordered my CXL v8 Lucerne with moon roof,stabilitrak and confidence package. I wish I had ordered the luxury package simply for the sake of the lumbar support. I can do without the heat seat and hot window water. The order took exactly four weeks. I'm very satisfied with the power, color and styling. If Americans are looking for a reason to buy an american car, this is it
  • janeandwaldojaneandwaldo Member Posts: 6
    I got a GMS Discount being my mother was a former GM (EDS) employee. We got our CXL V8 Lucerne with all the packages, Luxury, Driver Confidence, Comfort & Convenience. We got it in Glacier Blue Metallic. Looking at the buick website is this color even available anymore? The only options we did not get were the moonroof, engine heater, and we got six passenger seating as I am in a wheelchair and work my hand controls on the right side so console shifter and hand controls don't work well together.

All in all without dealer options and extended warranty we paid about 31-32 thousand. With the several dealer options we did such as glass etching, Autobond, 2 year extension on the warranty and several other things the final price came to about 36-37 thousand. I absolutely love this car and think it was worth every penny.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A promotional magazine seeks to interview Buick Lucerne owners who love their vehicles. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Monday, June 26 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your ownership experience so far.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
    Lucerne owner: Jim Sieks
    Model: CXL V8 Sagemist

Available most days in afternoon (retired)

...still enamored with the Lucerne after 3 months. It gets a bit unsavory to be buying 93 Octane at 3.30 but the car is behaving beautifully. We (my wife and I) are puzzled why we don't see any other Lucernes on the road.
  • iperiper Member Posts: 12
    The GMS price is not bad, but can we further negotiate it with dealder since it is close to end of the year clearance?

Did anybody buy a CX base model recently? what's the price?

thanks for your attention,
  • gatorraygatorray Member Posts: 4
    There are 8 posts and no one is saying how much they paid.
    It is probably possible to buy below GMS price; I would guess by 1000 , maybe 1500. I was pursued by two other dealers indicating they would make a better deal. I chose the Arlington, Mass dealer because of convenience , service and home grown competition. The relatively small discount did not persuade me.
  • waynenovotnywaynenovotny Member Posts: 22
    Bought a CX a couple weeks ago, paid $21,500. Great car, very quiet and smooth. Took it on a road trip last weekend and believe it or not, according to the DIC I got 33mpg at a constant 60mph. Overall on the trip we got 31.3, better than the 28mpg on the window sticker.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    That's consistent with what other 3800s have done in full-sized Buicks through the years. It depends a little on your driving style and fuel and temperatures. Keep the tires inflated to 33 - 35 psi. If I don't replace a car with a 3800 before they're discontinued, I'll look for used next purchase (after an older car for the kid--maybe that'll be a small pickup for me).

You should do a review of your Lucerne. Click the reveiws button at the top of this page and then click "rate it".

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

A friend has the 3.8 in his Impala and I was always jealous because he got better mileage than I did in my Malibu with a 3.1.
  • onions2onions2 Member Posts: 1
    Picked up my Lucerne CX, which stickered for $26,740. The trade was for a 97 Taurus. I don't know whether I got a good deal or a bad deal.

Supplier Price: $25,617.39

Trade : $600

Document Fee: $75.00

Sales Tax: $1568.27

License Plate: $15.00

-------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL...........................$26,675.66

Base Rebate: -$1500.00

GM Card: -$2323.20 (Pending GM authorization)

Old Invoice: -$1000.00 (This vehicle qualifies)

----------------------------------------------------------

Calculates ................................. $21,852.46 Out the Door - Guaranteed.

Tack on another $500 for the bonus (which the salesman alerted me to) and the deal went for $21,352.46.

I hope this helps you.
  • gatorraygatorray Member Posts: 4
    MSRP - 30,380
    Invoice - 29,300
    Paid - 28,836
    Trade - 1997 Dodge Stratus ($2,500)
    Military Discount - $500
    Old Inventory - $1,000
    Tax & Fees - $1,900 (approx)
    Total Finance OTD $28,111
    0% for 60 mo - 468 per Mo

2006 Buick Lucerne CXL V6
    Drivers Confidence
    Lux Package
    Ent. Package
    Confort and convenience
    Pearl Nickel Finish rims
    Shifter on the Colume
  • no1b4me1no1b4me1 Member Posts: 41
    Gator, don't understand...you paid $28,836 - ($4000 for trade, military discount, and old inventory rebate) which would be $24,836. Then add the $1,900 in taxes and fees and you should have been OTD for $26,736 or $445.60 at 0% for 60 months? What did I miss?
  • chuck21401chuck21401 Member Posts: 11
    I just purchased a used 2007 Buick Lucerne CXL V6 with 17K miles for $22K + taxes/tags from a local Buick dealer.
    And???
  • chuck21401chuck21401 Member Posts: 11
    And what? :confuse:

I posted the price I paid for comparison purposes. The asking price was 25,988. First sale price offered was 22,900. I countered with 22,000. The sales manager responded with 22,200. I said I'd buy today for 22,000 and they sold me the car. I was also looking at a leftover new 2006 CXL V8 for 26500. I test drove the V6 and the V8. While the V8 has the extra power, the V6 has plenty of power for me. My last car was a diesel Mercedes so the Buick accelerates like a Corvette from my perspective. :shades: Plus the 07 has the longer powertrain warranty. I like the car so far.
  • richman64richman64 Member Posts: 15
    I'm thinking about buying a Lucerne. Last time I bought a GM, which was over 4 years ago, I was able to get a GM Employee Discount, plus use over $2K in GM Card rebates. However, from what I hear, I can no longer combine GM Card rebates with the GM Employee Discount (it was sweet while it lasted).

Since I now again have over $2000 in GM Card rebate points, I'm debating haggling, without the GM Employee Discount, so that I can use my GM Card rebate. My question is, how much is the Lucerne discounted from sticker price with the GM Discount? If I can haggle and buy it for close to the GM Employee price, then I'll be able to still use my GM Master Card rebate.

Thanks.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Stop in at a dealer and ask about using your employee discount and the GM card credits. Or call the GM card number on the back of the card. Their website might even address that question.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I had the exact same problem. The dealer said I could use the GM employee discount and the GM Card points only if I had some sort of special GM card .. I forget right now what the name was. Anyway, I almost walked when they told me that. To keep us from leaving the salesperson "sweetened" the deal enough to make us sit down again. I used the GM points in lieu of the GMED.
    A reporter is hoping to talk with Buick Lucerne owners who are long-time Buick loyalists. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, May 10, 2007 with your daytime contact info and a few words about your experience.
    A reporter is hoping to talk with Buick Lucerne owners who never before owned a Buick. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, May 10, 2007 with your daytime contact info and a few words about your experience.
  • jaysquared55jaysquared55 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at 2 different Lucerne CXS models, and was wondering if anyone might have some insight they could help me with. First off, I'm debating purchasing a 2006 model with premium paint, htd washer fluid/remote start/parking assist, htd & cooled seats 6-disc cd changer and 18" chrome plated alum wheels that stickers at $38,130, or of leasing a 2007 similarly equiped except it also has a pwr sunroof that stickers at $40,075. I'm looking at a 39 month lease with 20K miles/yr. I may qualify for some or all of the following: loyal Buick owner ($750), cash allowance ($2000/'06), conquest cash ($500 - we also have a foreign car) and SmartBuy trade-in cash allowance on purchase (for the '06 model). Since I need a high mileage lease, maybe with all the incentives for the '06, it might be less to purchase. What do you think, or what calculations should I make to come up with a good comparison estimate? Thanks for your help! (I'll also post this under leasing questions.)
  • wr_guywr_guy Member Posts: 13
    If the 06 is new, you should be able to get it for about $31k. I'd offer $30k and see what he says.

I have the same car and I wish I did not have the sunroof. It takes away headroom.
  • dlvhidlvhi Member Posts: 2
    Aloha

I am not sure this will help you, but I might as well share it.

I don't know how this compares to the CXS, but I just bought a new 2006 CX with the following options:

Driver's Confidence Pkg

Rear-obstacle-detection system, remote engine start, alarm

Comfort and Convenience Pkg

Auto Dimming OSRV Drv Mirror
    Auto Dimming Inside Rear View Mirror
    Illuminated mirror visors
    Universal home remote
    Rainsense intermittent wipers
    6 way power passenger seat
    6 passenger 40/20/20 split front seating

Ext - Dark Garnet metallic
    Int - Cashmere

My price out the door was $23,500.

I would appreciate if anyone has suggestions for seat covers that will protect from spills from young kids.

Also, any comments on whether I should get the extended warranty.

I bought an extended warranty on my Aztek 3 years ago because of problems with the A/C that seemed to happen after 3 years.

Thanks
  • dlvhidlvhi Member Posts: 2
    Aloha

I forgot to mention, GM increased their rebates on 6/25.

The rebate for a new 2006 Lucerne was $4,000.

It seemed that retail delivery had to be by 6/27 but that seemed like an awful short time fuse.

In addition to that rebate, I used the $750 Buick owner rebate.
  • tcb30tcb30 Member Posts: 1
    I have a question. I am trying to research the price on 2006 model year lucernes that are still on the lot. On Edmunds and other sites like this for new cars you can only get pricing information on 2007s and 2008s. How do you get an idea of what the price should be on a 2006 model that is still on the lot? Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Consider it a used car... Price it out that way.. then, add a premium for whatever you think the full new car warranty is worth..

That number will probably be less than they are willing to sell it for.. which is why it is still on the lot.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kiwikarkiwikar Member Posts: 1
    How is your CXL.V8 going. It is the color my wife is looking for, do you want to sell it or know of any others in Sage Mist for sale ? They dropped that color mid 07
  • sheepdog1sheepdog1 Member Posts: 36
    My dad wants my help looking at 07 Lucernes over the Thanksgiving holiday. Recently a local dealer was offering 07s 6k below invoice. Is that the best deal currently?
  • wvsarobwvsarob Member Posts: 2
    Where are they offering $6K below invoice? I am considering one and the only incentive I see is $2k incentive off best negotiated deal -- in PA.
  • waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    Looking forward to get a new 2009 Buick Lucerne CXL somewhere next year. The options I want are:

Custom Perforated Leather
    Chrome Appearance Package
    Driver Confidence Package
    Luxury Package
    Side Blind Alert
    Navigation
    Harmon/Kardon Speakers
    Steering Wheel
    Sunroof

What's the best, most reasonable offer I can get with the dealer with a MSRP sticker of $37,000. I am thinking on trying $8,000 off MSRP. Will that work? If not, how much MSRP off when you purchased your new Lucerne? Buicks aren't hot seller anyway, and I'm sure some dealers offer big discounts. Thank you for any advise given.
  • alanf51alanf51 Member Posts: 2
    I just finished negotiaring on a 2008 pretty loaded CXS. I paid about $150 below dealer invoice. I got my dealer cost info from tmv and another source, gm dealers have a 3% holdback on the invoice from GM for their overhead and lights, some vehicles and dealer have to pay a 2% group advertising fee. I don't think they have 8000 in a new vehicle. I got documentation from another source on dealer invoice, units sold per month and best deals from that source.

Somewhere on this site there is a link for Capital one auto buying, In northern California their deal is $100 over invoice if the car is on the dealer in the programs lot. In southern california its $300 over invoice but a so cal dealer was willing to sell me the car at invoice and truck it 350 mile to me and have me sign the paperwork here.

I called the sales manager of my local dealer and aksed him if wanted to sell a car and told him what deals I had at other dealers, I completed the deal in about 20 minutes after a month of research and pricing. Given its the end of the year I may have gotten a better deal but there were only 3 cars in the state configured the way I wanted. I also get 2000 cash back from GM and the dealer got me a better interest rate by 1% and its lower than I was able to get from applying to 5 banks and I have excellent credit.

If you are going to finance I suggest you secure your financing first and then pick your vehicle.

I used fightingchance.com for price and negotiation tips.

Dealer Cost Item Retail
    750 destination 750
    33973 list 35950
    622.5 wheels 750
    742.85 heat and cool seats 895
    1614.35 nav sys 1945
    161.85 grillwer 195
    244.85 lane departure 295
    327.85 blind side 395
    124.5 heated steeerign 150
    747 sun roof 900
    0 paint
    39308.75 42225
    819.5 Advertising western region
    40128.25 total 42225
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    That's likely a bit too much off, to consider.

Figure out what invoice is on that car, and consider that your starting point, minus any rebates.

Hence, if it were a 2008 CXL with those options right now, should have an invoice right around $35,500--so that would be about your starting point. From that, and again just using now as an idea, you could subtract $2000 in rebate cash...so around $33,500.

Basically, a few months into a model year, and with the fact that the spread between MSRP and invoice is fairly small on a Lucerne...$8k off just isn't feasible. It is right now on leftover 2007's, with extra rebate cash available, but that's about it.

Just not going to happen, to get that kind of a chunk off, unless it's a leftover 2008 maybe this time next year. Determine invoice price at that time, subtract rebates, and that's your figure.
    Looks like I'll wait near the end of the year model. The only problem is, will the Lucerne with the 3800 V6 will still be in production by the end of 2009? Sources tell me that production on the 3800 engine ends at winter 2008, but it's usually a few months after winter 2008 that there will be some 3800 engines left before it will completely be depleted. If I am lucky, and I hope, I may get the early 2010 with the 3800 engine. The later I buy, the better, since more of my earnings will come in.
    I've also heard they were phasing out the 3800, which baffles me because as far as I'm concerned it's the best V-6 ever made.
    The 3800 is the last Buick-designed engine ever made. When it is phased out, there will never be a Buick that drives and rides like a Buick again. All Buicks now will get either the GM High Feature engine or the Cadillac Northstar engine. Although more powerful and many people are happy with it, to me, putting in one of the two engines in a Buick will not drive and ride like a real Buick as before in the past. Buick will lost its appeal and character once the 3880 engine is out. I will make sure to snatch one of the last 3800 Lucernes, probably in 2009 or 2010, and I will babied it and keep it as a classic for many years to come. I'm only 23 years old, so I'm at the right time. :)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I've also heard they were phasing out the 3800, which baffles me because as far as I'm concerned it's the best V-6 ever made.

Nearly 4 liters yet it doesn't deliver 200 horsepower, which a mainstream 4-cyl car can do these days. It's a torquey engine you say? Yes, it makes decent torque, but even that isn't competitive. Look below: one of these things is not like the other. :blush:

Buick Lucerne: 3.8L 197hp, 227 lb-ft, 4-speed automatic

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable: 3.5L 260hp, 245 lb-ft, 6-speed automatic

Hyundai Azera: 3.8L 263hp, 257 lb-ft, 6-speed automatic

Nissan Maxima: 3.5L 255hp, 252 lb-ft, Continuously Variable Transmission

Toyota Avalon: 3.5L 268hp, 248 lb-ft, 6-speed automatic

All of the competition makes much more power, most from less displacement. They all also get better fuel economy by as much as 3 MPG both city and highway (not helped by the antiquated 4-speed).

Buick does have the V8 option, but it can't outrun these V6 vehicles because of the 4-speed auto, and fuel economy (at 15/23) pales next to the Avalon's 19/28 or even Ford, with 18/28. With the 3800 having a worst-in-class 16/25 estimate, it's no fuel miser either.

The Buick 3800 may be solid and reliable, but that's because its been around so long, all the bugs have been worked out of it. It's being discontinued too late, in my opinion. Give it the 3.6 and ditch the Northstar!
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I'm looking at a new Lucerne.....A dealer ha a CXL with a list price of $29,995...he wants $25,485...that's with $3,000 back from GM.

I was thinking of around $25,200......Is that reasonable? Or should I suggest even less?
  • alanf51alanf51 Member Posts: 2
    Check the TMV price

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2008/buick/lucerne/100890177/prices.html

you will get the invoice number there and what people are paying. I paid about $150 below invoice in early December before the rebates. I also put about 25% down and negotiated a rate that was 3/4' of a point below gms rate and the dealer made money on that.

You can also go through capitol one auto buying, depending on area and model they are about $100 over invoice for a car on the lot which can get you a starting price before you go into the dealer. I did all my research on-line, found the vehicle equipped the way I wanted then called the sales manger at the local dealer and asked him if he wanted to sell a car. He brought it from another dealer and sold it for the price I wanted.

You may want to take a look at fighting chances package and methods for purchasing. I found it very helpful.

http://www.fightingchance.com/index.php?js=y

I started here at edmunds and worked my way around.

Good luck - let us know how you do if you buy

A-
    My dealer is asking $25,485 for it. That already below $150 below invoice,with the additional $3,000 GM is currently offering...
    I managed to get the CXL,which listed for $29,995 for $17,200! I did have $3,400 in Gm credit card earnings,plus a further $2,000 off because my new 2001 Catera proved to be a bit "disappointing"...but still,GM is positively giving these cars away...
  • rivieraranchrivieraranch Member Posts: 28
    I am shopping for a new Lucerne CXL V-8. I am starting in Florida (where I live) and going north. These vehicles are not included in the GM employee pricing scheme ongoing, so they are another story.

I would buy for 30% off MSRP, but I am encountering resistance at securing any more than 22.5% off MSRP.

Any ideas on where I could go to look for a better deal?
    I think that 30% off sticker will be very hard to get. You could try to find ads in the Washington Post or NY Times,or other big city papers. Those advertised priced will probably be near the least you can find.
    You can always offer that price at a few dealerships,adding a %point or two if unsuccessful.
    I found several in the range of 27-31% off of MSRP; now my problem is the GMAC pull ahead does not give me enough relief from my lease balance. I would owe just over $1,000.00 if I buy now. On October 1st, if GMAC increases its pull ahead, then I would be in a much better position.
  • kevslucernekevslucerne Member Posts: 1
    I plan on taking delivery today of a 2008 White Diamond CXL V6 with every option except NAV. Sticker is about $35,500 and I got it for about $24,000 (~32% off) plus taxes etc. I do have the GM supplier discount at $3,500 plus $3,000 bonus for the Supplier Program. Out the door I am at $26,750 and I finally get a car with cooled seats!
    I am happy for you at such an acquisition.

I was recently offered a new platinum 2008 CXS V-8, MSRP $39,100 for $31,500.00 out the door under the supplier program with all the rebates, etc., but when I learned that my GM Card Points were ineligible for this program I backed out. I had $1,931.00 in points and I wanted to use them. There was no legitimate reason why I should be unable to exercise them with this kind of deal.

Instead, I selected a new light quartz metallic 2007 CXL V-8, MSRP $32,500.00, which after negotating it down, and subtracting my points, came to $21,500.00 out the door. I am to pick up the car this weekend. The only option is a sunroof, but it has the color I most wanted, with cocoa steering wheel, dash, and carpet and shale seats and panels.
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    Pull ahead is now at four months.
This discussion has been closed.