Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Durango

Comments

• valli2valli2 Member Posts: 10
    Just after buying my new "03 Dodge I noticed that the air conditioning was not as strong as I thought it should be and was coming mostly out of the two vents nearest the center. The two side vents nearest the doors on the driver and passenger sides were very weak no matter how high I turned it. Of course the higher I turned it on the more it came on the sides but definitely not as strong as the center ones or as it should be. I brought it in and after they brought in the "top guns" they said it was just the way it was made and nothing could to be done about it. Period. I even made them sit in another Dodge of the exact same model and year and sure enough the air BLASTED us away! But they claim they found nothing wrong. They kept the car for over 8 hours in order to take off the whole dash and look inside.I would love to know if anyone has had the same problem and what did you do about it? Also, is there somewhere else I can turn to get results before Summer comes around again and it is too late. Funny, but I do not SEEM to have the same problem with the heat. OH, and it is still under warranty. Thanks
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    You could always try another dealer. Dodge products can usually be serviced at any Dodge or Chrysler dealership. We used to have our old Dodge Stratus serviced at a Chrysler dealership and they would always honor any warranty work with no questions asked. Just an idea and you should always confirm with the dealer that they will perform warranty work on your vehicle. GM and Ford dealers will not do warranty work on cross brands (Chevy dealers will not do warranty works on Pontiacs, for example), but Chrysler is usually pretty good about allowing it.

What do you have the directional setting on when this occurs? I have noticed in my '03 Durango that when I have the directional setting on panel and floor together the flow from the panel vents is much less than when I have it on panel only. Most cars work this way.
  • golions7golions7 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the replies on the 4WD question.
    2001 Durango 4.7 SLT
    I had my truck serviced at the dealer today and upon bringing it home I noticed a whining noise when I had it in park. It seemed to be coming from the rear driver wheel area.

I brought it back to the dealer and the service manager indicated it might be the fuel pump. He brought out a tech and he confirmed it. They said when the weather gets really cold (9 degrees today)the fuel pump makes more noise. It's common and nothing to worry about.

Is this right? I'm still under warranty if something goes wrong, so that's some comfort.
    Thanks in advance
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Reporter Brett Clanton is looking to interview a few people who have bought or are planning to buy a Chrysler or Dodge vehicle because of the Hemi. Please call him at 313-222-2612 or e-mail him at bclanton@detnews.com by Wednesday, January 28. Please feel free to contact me at jfallon@edmunds.com with any questions.
    Thanks!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

My '03 Durango 4.7L V8 is much louder in the colder weather. It was -2 degrees here about a week and a half ago and the truck was extremely noisy. However, after warming up the engine and mechanical pieces were not excessively loud.

Does your whining noise go away after the truck has warmed up to normal operating temperature? If it does, I wouldn't worry about it. Are you having starting problems, particularly while the engine is warm, or have you had any stalling issues? Those are usually better signs of fuel pump failure...
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    if you guys wanna hear noisy fuel pumps just listen to any 96-00 chrysler minivan...constant hummm/whine. it's just the nature of the beast and nothing to worry about unless you are having driveability problems...
  • gchristy19gchristy19 Member Posts: 3
    just bought an 03 slt, and love it all but the gas mileage. the on board system reads 11.0mpg. i was hoping to find out if anyone has installed any special filters or has tried that tornado thing i see advertised. also my daily drive has many long hills, should i have the od on or off?
  • denimo1denimo1 Member Posts: 13
    I just took delivery on a new Hemi D Ltd. Ordered Aug 25, delivered Jan17 04! General impressions are good although I haven't done much highway driving yet,certainly lots of power around town. Room inside seems impressive when you look at the outside of the vehicle, but is still a little tight up front after my '00 Yukon ("The D has more space inside than an Expedition?" I dont know.) The front interior lights are really cheap-looking and feel like something from an eighties Hyundai.
    Pity Chrysler cancelled the U connect system (for Canada) I wish they'd told me before the vehicle arrived as I was ready to buy the $500 phone the system needs to operate. The option of a retractable cargo cover in back would have been nice, once you've used one they make good sense.
    It takes a 21 and 24 inch snow blade in front if anyone is planning to fit them. The rear wiper works great. Both the swept area and variable timing are superior to the Yukon. A rear mounted central locking switch in side the cargo area would be good, was this left off for safety reasons? The rear is definitely configured for people first, with cargo as an option, but its still a flatter floor than the Envoy. I have 275/55/17 Pirelli Scorpion Ice all round which were 200k's old off a Mercedes ML55.

Happy motoring!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Gchristy19, if the Tornado worked, why wouldn't all the manufacturers factory install them? I think they are rip-offs - save your money.

Gas Mileage Tips

Steve, Host
    Hi!

I have an '03 SXT 4x4 with the 4.7L V8. I average 14-15mpg (my truck has 4,000 miles on it now). I would recommend keeping your overdrive on all the time (unless you are towing something).

Most of those tornado devices are useless. The only "special filter" that may help is an aftermarket air filter for the engine (like a K&N or Accell KoolBlue). Those are less restrictive than the standard air filters and allow the engine to breathe a little easier.

However, the fuel savings with a less restrictive air filter may not be worth the cost of the filter (usually around $50). Some people report better mileage with these type of filters while others say there was no appreciable change. I personally wouldn't spend the money on one unless it was a crucial component of a significant performance upgrade for the engine.

Have you been using 4WD a lot? That can bring mileage down. Also, a higher concentration of around town driving versus highway only or city/highway mix will drag the mileage down. Driving up hill a majority of the time can have an adverse effect on mileage, too. There are so many factors. Cold/winter weather drops mileage as well.
    K&N doesn't tout gas mileage for air filters on their web site I don't think (not counting testimonials). Air box replacements may be a different can of worms.

K&N Air Filters, bolt-on power?

The easiest way to get 10% better mileage is to check the air pressure in your tires.

Steve, Host
    thanks for the info, ill definatly check the pressure and look into the air box you mentioned. as far as the tornado your opinion seems to be the majority, guess ill stay away from that.
    hi ryster the options i have are awd, 4hi and 4 low and for the most part its in awd. i am in a cold and wintery area so i guess that doesnt help. i wish i could be getting 14-15mpg. thanks for the info
    Hi!

On the FAQ page of K&N's site there is a discussion of the mileage benefits, if any, of installing a K&N filter. It is FAQ question 1.

gchristy - the awd system will bring mileage down a little as it is always engaged. I would say, based on the awd system, driving hilly areas, and the cold weather that 11mpg would seem normal for your vehicle. My 14-15mpg figure is basically mixed driving in 2WD. When I use 4WD in the snowy weather, my mileage drops significantly (goes down to around 12mpg).
  • brian211brian211 Member Posts: 69
    Looking at 04 durango. Also explorer, envoy, ranier and 4runnerand endeavour. If you have an 04, durango,what was deciding factor in your purchase over other makes. I know it hasn't been out long, but are you satisfied with the purchase?
  • tvishtvish Member Posts: 6
    I would be interested in knowing if this feature will be available on the Durango Hemi, as it will be for the same motor in the '05 Dodge Magnum.

For those wondering what I mean by Multi Displacement System:

Quote from www.allpar.com website
    http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html

"The 2005 Chrysler 300C and Dodge Magnum RT will be the first high-volume, modern production vehicles in North America to feature fully-functioning cylinder deactivation when they go on sale in the spring of 2004. The Multi-Displacement System (MDS) will be standard equipment on the Chrysler 300C and Dodge Magnum RT.

The Chrysler Group MDS seamlessly alternates between smooth, high fuel economy four-cylinder mode when less power is needed, and V-8 mode when more power is in demand. In short, owners of the Chrysler 300C and Dodge Magnum RT will receive the powerful benefit of the Hemi engine with the fuel economy that they would only expect from a smaller, less powerful engine.

"The MDS was part of the engine's original design," said Bob Lee, Vice President Powertrain Product Team, Chrysler Group. "This resulted in a cylinder-deactivation system that is elegantly simple and completely integrated into the engine design. The benefits are fewer parts, maximum reliability and lower cost."

This system should triumph where the Cadillac 4-6-8 failed because of the speed of modern electronic controls, the sophistication of the algorithms controlling the systems, and the use of electronic throttle control. The HEMI will be able to transition from eight cylinders to four in 40 milliseconds (0.04 seconds).

The HEMI engine with MDS has completed over 6.5 million customer-equivalent miles through Chrysler Group’s development and durability testing.

The system deactivates the valve lifters. This keeps the valves in four cylinders closed, and there is no combustion. In addition to stopping combustion, energy is not lost by pumping air through these cylinders.

Customers will experience estimated fuel economy gains of up to 20 percent under various driving conditions, and a projected 10 percent aggregate improvement. Improved fuel economy is realized without any change in customer experience—drivers will receive the benefit without changing their driving habits and without compromising style, comfort or convenience."
  • jgillamjgillam Member Posts: 3
    I have now had my 04 Durango, 4x4 Hemi SLT since late December. I now have about 2000 miles on it, mostly driving in rural areas -- I live in Arkansas. I looked at other options, even considered buying an 03 of something to take advantage of rebates, etc. I made my choice on the basis of features for the cost and power of Hemi. For the price of the Durango, I believe you cannot find comparably equipped truck/SUV for the money. It is priced at the level of a mid-size and yet in many ways has the size of the larger vehicles.

I have found the steering to be extremely responsive, plenty of power and smooth riding. Some have criticized the interior as less than appealing or even cheaply done. I have not found this to be so. While I may look at it differently, as I am driving this in rural areas and I do not want something that is so fancy that I am afraid to get it dirty. I owned a Chevy 1500 4x4 four door extended cab truck before. The Durango rides with the smoothness of a car and yet the strength of a truck. Rough roads are no problem for this vehicle.

I recently picked up three five shelf (6 foot tall) bookshelves, in boxes, from Staples and was able to slide them into the back with no problem. In the next few months I will make my annual trip to Nebraska to pick up meat from a rancher -- I will haul 6 - 7 head of butchered and frozen meat back here to Arkansas for members of my church and friends in the community. Total weight of meat will be in excess of 3000 pounds, in a trailer, and would expect no problems with the load.

Some have complained about the gas mileage for the Durango. I am averaging about 15 - 16 overall and getting 19 or slightly more when it is all highway driving.

If I had to do over again, I would buy a Durango -- the 04 addition as the older models were too small.
    Sounds good. My problem is a don't know how easily this vehicle will drive in nyc. My dealer also has jeep, chrysler and mitsubishi models. Don't care for cherokee, but I've foung the endeavor quite compelling. Its smaller with all wheel drive. Here in the city, they're considering taking suvs over 6,000 lbs and making them trucks. Durangos, expiditions, yukons , humvees etc. Would be banned from certain streets. So I might have other factors to consider. I've never had an suv. Does the durango handle like a clumsy truck, or can some one like me handle it without much difficulty. Have you driven on snow? Hemi? Have you noticed ball joint problems that have hampered earlier models?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    While you cannot rewrite history, you will have 30 minutes to make any changes or fixes after you post a message. Just click on the Edit button that follows your message after you post it.
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    CR just rated large SUV's, and while they say the new Durango is much improved over the last model, it still only managed 13th place, according to them. As I recall, they really hated the last Durango. But they are biased against truck like vehicles in this class, and prefer car based ones.
  • st5onest5one Member Posts: 2
    I understand Dodge quit making the SXT. Does anyone know why?
    carguy,

CR seems out of step with most everyone else. almost every other publication has said the durango is either close or is the NEW standard among mid and full size SUVs.
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    Yes, I agree. The other mags are singing the praises of the new D. I was just pointing out that CR seems to weigh heavily against truck based SUV's and that's mainly why the D gets a poor rating. That was my point.
  • svevarsvevar Member Posts: 160
    To be fair, CR should really divide the mid-size SUVs into two categories: real trucks and glorified station wagons. The Honda Pilot, which I'm guessing is their top pick, might be great on road, but it doesn't have a fraction of the Durango's (or Expedition's, Explorer's, Trailblazer's, etc) off road or towing capability.
  • jgillamjgillam Member Posts: 3
    Brian211, I grew up in Nebraska and just recently returned south to Arkansas from Nebraska. Snow has been a major part of my life -- thank God it rarely snows here! I have not yet needed to drive the Durango on snow, so I am only responding to what I know about the needs of driving on snow and how this vehicle handles compared to my old 2000 Chevy Silverado 4x4.

The responsive steering is absolutely amazing. My first test drive in the new Durango, I was a little nervous about the quick reaction and response of the vehicle. I found myself over steering when I made turns. The first time my wife drove our Durango, she was weaving all over (our side of the highway). She made the same comments that I did. I found as I adjusted my habits from the truck to the Durango, I was in far greater control in the Durango. I am on rough roads often due to the weight of trucks hauling rice and beans to the plants and grooving the highways. The Durango is a joy on in this environment.

With a responsive steering and the traction control system in the Durango, I believe snow should be no problem. While the Durango has the built feel of a truck, it is far smoother than a truck. I guess I would say that it has the structure to handle the needs one may want and yet the driveability of a smooth car.

As for city driving, until I returned to Nebraska for a three year stay (five years ago), I had spent the last 25 years in Houston and Austin, TX; Birmingham, AL; and St. Louis, MO. All of my children grew up learning to drive in cities. This Durango is a joy in city traffic. High enough to see where you are and sturdy enough to handle the situations you get into. I realize these are not NYC driving issues!! You might ask your dealer for some names of buyers in your area and check with them for their response.

Good Luck in your hunt.
    Thanks, I'm concerned from moving from my monte carlo into such a bigger vehicle. Whether an old dog like me can master the extra size with out too much difficulty. I'm going to test drive one, also pacifica and endeavor at same dealership. Further comments appreciated. Also nyc plans to ban suvs over 6k from some city streets. Always something here.
    By the way. I've been reading boards from explorer owners and trailblazer, envoy owners. They are having all kinds of problems with the vehicles. Anybody have any issues concerning chryslers reliabilty and response to owners problems. The other posts seem to have problems ford and gm won't address.
  • ywilsonywilson Member Posts: 135
    Boy do I know this. The code means that your overdrive unit is going bad. The reason the dealer cannot find the problem is, due to the fact that the tranny is electronicaly controlled, every time you turn off the ignition and restart it the tranny reset's itself. The problem will dissappear for awhile. I went through this for awhile and i just traded mine (2000) in for a 2003. I did not get the 2004 due ti first year bugs and all. If the problem happens again tell your wife to just pull over to the side of the road, turn off the ignition and count to 10. Once it is restarted the traany will drive like nothing happened. By the way to repair this will require a new tranny at around $5,000.00. This is what my dealer was going to charge me. It was cheaper to do the trade in for the 2003.
  • st5onest5one Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2003 SXT last week and am wondering if there's anything anyone can tell me from experience. Good, bad, or indifferent.
    Thanks.
  • durangovadurangova Member Posts: 4
    Just purchased the 04 Durango 4x4 SLT, 5.7L Hemi. Love it, picked it over Tahoe and Expedition after much research (including Edmunds) and several test drives.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced an unexpected acceleration (stuck throttle) when the engine is cold and not warmed up yet. Started the car today, and started driving without letting much time for warm-up. First stop out of parking lot, and with foot off the gas in prep for braking, engine reved on it's own, quite a lurch. Had to stomp the brake really hard and fast. Engine throttled down after that, and have not seen the behavior since.

Don't know if it's a one-off, or if this is a problem seen by others that's not quite made the TSBs yet. I'll be having things checked this week at the dealer.
    there is a recall on 3.7l v6 and 4.7l v8 durangos for throttles that can freeze up. however the hemi has an electronic throttle and isn't affected by this recall...
    Are none of you newer owners getting any deals worth crowing about?

Dodge Durango: Prices Paid & Buying Experience

Steve, Host
    Nothing Special on deals. No rebates. Just negotiate from Invoice.
  • scb147scb147 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I was looking at a '98 Dodge Durango, and I was wondering if they still installed cup holders back where the third seat would be even if the third seat wasn't an installed option.

Thanks!
  • cjaubertcjaubert Member Posts: 17
    I had a 2002 Durango and loved it, while finding it a bit pedestrian. It had the basic features I wanted - three rows, big but not too big, nice looks - but not all the "bells and whistles" that my 2000 JGC had, and that I like very much. I anxiously awaited the '04 Durango when I started looking for a new SUV in the fall of '03, and I ordered a Limited 4WD Hemi one the first week I could. I waited and I waited and I waited, but they kept delaying the intro here, and my order was not close to coming in.

Then, I had a car I wanted to trade in. The offer I got was too good to pass up, but the Durango was not here and I did not want to lose the tax break on the trade in. So, I bought an '04 Sequoia 2WD Limited in early December.

I liked the Sequoia OK. It rode VERY nicely, was quiet, and obviously very well built. But, it did not have all the stuff the Durango has. My Durango came in about 10 days ago, and they delivered it to me to test drive it and consider trading in the Sequoia. Well, after about 10 minutes, I fell in love with the Durango. It is AWESOME. It is powerful, as smooth and quiet as the Sequoia, has every imaginable option, and appears to be just as well built.

Basic differences that led me to trade in the Sequoia: 40/20/40 Durango back seat affords easier access to the backseat for the kids (I have four); the in-dash Sirius radio (the add-on in the Sequoia worked fine, but was not easy to reach); fold-flat rear seats MUCH more convenient; memory seats/radio/a/c VERY convenient and MUCH missed in the Toyota; better steering wheel radio and cruise control buttons; rear doors open to 84 degrees that makes kid access easier; easier to use DVD with cool remote storage place (I wish the headphones were auto on-off, though); better visibility; rather much faster acceleration; the seat-belt recepticals in the Durango are hard plastic that makes them easier to latch with one hand (the Sequoia are on a strap that is limp and needs two hands to latch); and I like the little storage drawer behind the back row of seats.

Things I like better about the Sequioa: one-touch up and down windows in both front windows (only one touch down on the Durango driver's window); the little top console with the pad in it; seats a little (VERY little) more confortable; bigger sunroof; better DVD headphones (auto on-off); and there seems to be more room in the front seat, and more headroom.

Long story short - I got a great trade in from my Dodge dealer and I now and the proud and happy owner of the Durango. I cannot tell you how happy I am with this car - it is better in virtually every way than the Sequoia, and is more than $5K less when comparably equipped.
  • shulajshulaj Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for that post. Very good. I have driven and owned many SUV's such as Cad. Escalade, Explorer, Expedition.......and more. Before making my decision to order Durango, I test drove Volvo, Acura, Pathfinder Armada, Pacifica, etc etc. Some things I found about the DURANGO is the following.

Firstly, my Durango comes in in about 2 weeks. It is LOADED LOADED with HEMI but I left off the DVD as I am putting a bigger aftermarket in since the 6.5" is TOO SMALL and does not offer TV as well. I am putting in an AUDIOVOX.

While I think it is best SUV for me, there are a number of things I do not like. Here I go....but what do you think????

I am from Canada and you cannot get the Sirrus radio here.

Fit and finish is great however that dash is not very sexy like the new Ford 150.

Color selection is terrible on the Durango. No off-white. Red is ugly red.

Rims could be nicer

Need another HOT rim selection for those that hate the RIMs. (I ordered Chrome)

Why not PAINTED Door handles? Those black things are UGLY. Look at the EXPLORER. WAY nicer as they'[re painted body color.

No auto down windows ALL AROUND is dumb. Why not??? AUdi and VW has them on all cars....why not Chrysler?

Stereo was crap. Listen Dodge.....You need a TOP END good sounding steroe....not a big audio name with crap sound.

Need a JACK for MP3 Players right into the stereo like the Pathfinder Armada has! That is perfect for connecting an MP3 player. At least the stereo plays MP3 so I'll let that go.

Better (or different option) for step. I like aluminum for a step, or put one on like the X5. That molded one is not as nice.

Seats for driver and passenger is not very sporty looking.

Interior color choices are boring looking.
    I am glad my post helped. Here are my comments to your questions/issues:

Siruis: Sorry to hear that it is not in Canada. I REALLY love it.

Fit and finish: Have not seen the Ford, but, so far, the F&F on my Durango is great - I don’t have a single complaint.

Color selection: I agree, but I am almost exclusively a white buyer. As long as they have white, I don’t much care about anything else. I agree that the red is bad.

Rims could be nicer - probably true, but I hadn’t noticed. I got the chrome and they look pretty nice to me.

Why not PAINTED Door handles? Picky, arn’t we? (smiling)

No auto down windows ALL AROUND is dumb. I agree with you 100% - this is WAY annoying. Of course, it would probably have cost $5 to $10 to upgrade this. Big mistake not doing it, in my opinion.

Stereo was crap. I could not disagree more. The infinity in my car is awesome. Crisp, clean, loud, and no problems at all. I love the stereo.

Need a JACK for MP3 Players - I am not sure, but I think the in-dash CD player plays MP3 discs directly. Also, the factory DVD plays them, too, and has inputs. Speaking of the DVD, I agree that the screen is a bit small, but the hidden remote holder is great - my kids usually lose the remote an hour or two after I buy the car.

Better (or different option) for step. I ordered mine without running boards (the only option I did not get) - they always scuff my pants and make them dirty, and it is easier for me to get into the vehicle without a running board.

Seats for driver and passenger is not very sporty looking. I tend to agree, but they are okay. The Sequoia seats are more confortable.

Interior color choices are boring looking: Like the exterior color, I tend to only like/buy grey interior. This one is fine for me.

By the way, each time I drive this car, I like it more. It is truly a car I can live with in all respects. I STRONGLY encourage you to STRONGLY consider it. Good luck, and please email with any other questions.
  • shulajshulaj Member Posts: 11
    Hi.

You must have missed this at the beginning of my rant! I ordered a 2004 Durango with everything but the DVD as I am putting in a better and cheaper unit (with hidden remote) from Audiovox. I ordered the Kaki exterior and Dark Kaki Light Greystone interior. Could only see pics of that interior as there was not a single one in Ontario to view.

BTW: I have friends at Daimler who took great care of me. I paid $ 1000 under dealer cost through the employee plan (a relative is retired) and they get a check from Daimler for selling to employees.

I ordered it 2.5 weeks ago and it will arrive in 3 weeks.

I too have had white vehicles alot. My last SUV (which I just sold) was a white 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee (junk junk junk junk junk), before that a 2000 White Escalade (liked it), then a 2000 White 300M (loud road noise and returned it at 18 months into lease....came out of an Expedition (liked it).

I drove the Durango for several days straight and liked it more every time I drove it. Was very very nice on road. Quiet, comfortable and I thought well priced.

I drove the BMW X3 as soon as it was out (too small), X5 (still too small) and virtually sat in or drove everything. I would have bought the new (huge) Armada from Nissan but it did not have split 3rd row seats. When I go up north, I need 6 people and room in back for stuff. Without the split 3rd row, it kills the interior storage.

Anyhow, I will be trading my 2004 Durango in as soon as they announce an R/T or SRT version since I like the truck, but think the styling needs something. I found a website that showed some 2004's with 22" wheels. That is not for me, but I would like ground effects.

I would also like to see more horsepower.

Any ground effects pics from anyone?

Lastly, I see Dodge has a new campaign that will show a bunch of stupid celebrities in 2004 "done up" Durango's. It starts in the spring. See their web site.

Cheers everyone.
  • wantadurangowantadurango Member Posts: 1
    thinking about purchasing a 2004 limited edition durango. I absolutely love the car- but my main concern is depreciation. Unfortunately, I would have to finance for 72 months....Edmunds is saying that depreciation on these things is extremely high. Another question- the price would be $34,000-is that a fair price? There aren't any rebates, or anything like that. I guess I'm used to the idea that the dealers will rip you off, so am I getting a fair deal, or can they come down more.....Listing is at $38,000.
    This is an easy one. You admit that you “absolutely love“ the car. Let’s say, for argument’s sake, that the Durango depreciates $5000 more over 72 months than anything else (a premise that I do not agree with, by the way). Well, is it worth $5000 over six years to have a car you “absolutely love” than a car that you don’t like as much? I say, “absolutely.” I am in love with my new Durango, and I STRONGLY recommend it to you, and to anyone else.
    is it worth $5000 over six years to have a car you ?absolutely love? than a car that you don?t like as much?

What about the other $29,000? :-)

tidester, host
    I don't understand your question. I am assuming simply a $5K DIFFERENCE in depreciation, with all else being the same. In other words, the $29K will be spent no matter which car you buy.
    the $29K will be spent no matter which car you buy.

Thanks for clarifying. I didn't pick up on that - I was just focussed on total cost of getting the car you want.

tidester, host
  • vik66vik66 Member Posts: 10
    Can somebody tell me how Dodge Durango handles off-road?
    I want to go a little bit more than simple dirty road, but definitely not rock-crawler?
    I was thinking to buy new one, 2004, with skid plates and off-road tires…
    I do not know anybody around who has and went off-road on it, and it’s useless to ask salesperson…
    Thank you for advice…
    I seem to be the biggest advocate of ’04 Durango’s these days, but I am afraid I have not drive off-road yet. I have the skid plate and the worst thing I did was drive over a parking lot bumper (intentionally) without any problem at all. Sorry I can’t be more help...
  • svevarsvevar Member Posts: 160
    The April issue of Car and Driver features a full-sized SUV comparison test, and the 2004 Durango comes out on top, just as it did in Motor Trend's March issue.
  • cwofergcwoferg Member Posts: 78
    I recently bought a 27' travel trailer that weighs 5000 lbs dry and will use it at around 6000 lbs. I am now in the market for something to pull it and I am between the Durango and the Armada (yes, I know about the resonance problem in the Armada and I also know I put the cart before the horse!). I know the Durango Limited 4X4 with a HEMI is rated at 8700, but has anybody actually PERSONALLY towed anything that heavy with it?
    The only review I was able to find on towing (other than regurgitating factory capability) was at http://www.truckinssuv.com/features/0402suv_durango/. They pulled a 6500 lb boat, but only put one sentence in it.
    "After a day of driving the Durango in nearly all trim levels, all three engine options, as well as while towing a 6,500-pound, 26-foot boat with the Hemi, we were surprised at the stability and agility of this truck."
    Not much help, but otherwise a good read. I am also aware of the Moter Trend article (have the mag) and am waiting to get a hold of the Car and Driver one.

Thanks
  • scottymac55scottymac55 Member Posts: 2
    I posted a message a few months ago about a potential 2002 D R/T purchase. Well, of course after seeing, driving and researching- I had to buy it. I absolutely love(d?) the damn thing, as anyone who saw it would.

Well, upon noticing some tire wear and steering wheel pull I decided to get my D alligned. Got the call back from the shop saying my upper ball-joints were in rough shape and the lowers are getting there too.

All I can say is: &%@#!!!! I purposely bought a 2002 as I thought the newer models had hopefully resolved, or, at least would have less ball-joint issues. So, now after owning the truck for 3 months and only 25,000 total miles on it I have to deal with that inevitable Durango curse.

I absolutely LOVE my D. But I am also pissed that this has happened. Yes, I have the warranty, but will this happen again at 50K? Ughhhhh...
    Considering an 04 durango. Also looking at other suvs. To those of you who decided to buy one as opposed to an explorer for instance, are you happy with the decision and how has the 04 durango been holding up? How's the 4x4 system on the vehicle?
    Mid-to-large sized SUVs is a shoppers paridise right now, lots of really good vehicles to select from.

Through both online research (mostly Edmunds and Consumer Reports) and test drives, evaluated the Tahoe, Envoy, Expedition, 4Runner and 04 Durango.

Was leaving a Honda CR-V, wife has an Acura MDX.

Liked the Tahoe, but $ value was just not there compared to it's competition, and I felt the design, ride and overall technology of the mechanics are getting tired and dated.

Did not like the Envoy, nothing technically wrong with it, just a personal choice.

Liked a lot of aspects of the 4runner, very nice vehicle all around, the iForce V8 is an incredible engine. But the seats and seating position were not comfortable for my frame. Since I spend about 3 hrs per day in a car, this was an important decision for my personal situation.

Expedition ended up being my runner-up choice. Nice ride, nice handling, more up-to-date styling and technology than the Tahoe. And prices are reasonable. The only reason it made runner-up and not first place was it's boxy exterior styling.

I went with the Durango w/Hemi. Liked the styling (you love it or hate it, I loved it), the new innovations that went into it, and the $ value was the best out there. And the Hemi rocks :>>. I was initially concerned about Dodge quality, having been personally burned by a '96 Dodge Caravan that seemed like it needed several thousand dollars work every 20,000 miles. I dumped it for the MDX before it hit 90K miles. But after doing a lot of due-diligence on the new Durango's quality; Checking NHTSA and finding very few complaints or TSBs, searching online and finding that the Newark plant modernization included a lot of quality improvement checks, and going over the vehicle in-person bumper to bumper, I decided to give the *new* Dodge a shot. So far, the bet is paying off. Opposite of what Consumer Reports states, fit, finish, and materials on my vehicle are of good quality. I have no gaps in my dash, or any sharp plastic edges on my seats. Ride is wonderful, handling is great. Zero defects to-date. The bottomless power of the hemi is sweet when you need it. And, I'm very happy to report, my gas mileage is far better than I expected. I am averaging between 17 and 18 MPG highway, and around 13 in city. I know that won't win me any "green" awards for conservation, but I went into the Durango expecting a dismal 12 or 13 MPG based upon CR's findings. They must have towed a house during the entire road test...

So - I selected the Durango, and am very happy to-date with that decision. I'll keep y'all posted if I find any problems, and how the *new* Dodge handles them if they arise.
This discussion has been closed.