Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Transmission Problems

Comments

• Options
    el_hoppyel_hoppy Member Posts: 43
    very well written, thanks
  • Options
    I'll add this then. one year and one week to the day I bought my truck and reported the problem and GM STILL ignores me.
  • Options
    ceb66ceb66 Member Posts: 70
    edited November 2011
    I temper my messages with the thought, that at the very least, some guy or lady that's considering the new purchase of a General Motors Cadillac 5.3 liter six speed, Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 liter 6 speed or GMC Sierra 5.3 liter six speed happens upon here and asks the salesman;

"Do you have any transmission issues with this truck? Does it clunk or bang? Can I take it for a long test drive in the 45 MPH range to determine how seamless the Active Fuel Managent system is on this "unit"?"

And, if they're sold/told by the salesman (who in my case was colorblind!) "no, in fact, the 5.3 liter gets better mileage than the 4.8 liter" and they purchase the "unit", and it turns out to have the identical problems (other than mpg) as the one in my driveway and MANY, MANY others have, I can understand why they may post a visceral massage. I may not agree this is the format for it. But I can understand their frustration. Especially after purchase when a sales manager looks a grown, 45 year old man in the eye, and says "it's operating as designed"!

I want my clunking, banging, pulling, slipping rattle trap of a truck fixed. It's not in my personality to be derogatory. It is in my personality to spread the word!
  • Options
    chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    edited November 2011
    Ceb if you do a google search and look at other discussions you will see that there are more happy owners than the 14 unhappy ones here. I understand your unhappy and out to make sure the world knows it. GM has sold 50,000 units a month for the past several months. So people are test driving these and find them satifatory.

The V8 to 4 is seamless it seems in most trucks but yours. It certainly is in mine. The 6 speed while certainly not refined works and shifts through the gears satisfactory except for your truck.

As soon as your in an equity position get rid of it and buy a Tundra, Dodge, or Ford. Then you will not be unhappy.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Forgot to mention and would like any reccomendaion: The Active Fuel Management AFM seems (not sure) to turn GM's semi-synthetic oil prematuraly dark. Never seen synthetic go dark so fast.

From 4 to 8 cylinders, truck seems to really labor growl lag and sometimes slam bang when picking up the the slop slap in the drivetrain that many complain about.

The AFM doesn't seem to actuate properly from 4 to 8 cylinders.

Heard many others feel this is the shift from 5 to 6 six gears in the six speed transmission but really appears to be the 4 cylinder mode growling lagging and laboring. Maybe premature oil discolor is due to AFM?

Heard this is the same engine and transmission in the 2012 5.3 liter Silverado Sierra. I hope new buyers drive this truck extensively before purchase to determine the operating as designed features are for them.

Also hoping they'd have a fix for the General Motors 5.3 liter six speed tranny and AFM issues that so many are complaining about.

Let me know if you have the oil issues also.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Ceb -if you go on the following place-

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1480740

you will find out that the oil turning dark means it's working. And it is NOT A PROBLEM but a solution.
  • Options
    peteputpeteput Member Posts: 10
    Sorry to hear another GM dissatisfied owner. In regards to only having a small number of owners complaining compared to thousands of truck sold and owners not complaining. To start off, Not everyone is aware of this website. Secondly, engine and tranny are the balls of a truck. If they dont work seemlessly, then you notice it pretty quickly. The fact that on the first drive test, i only noticed that the truck was shifting allot more then my previous 1500hd. but i was ok with that. But no clunking occurred during the 15 minute round trip. Times are changing with GM. the fact that they can stand with firm hands stating that its acceptable to have the problems were experiencing. just shows the QA has gone down.
  • Options
    jjvforddudejjvforddude Member Posts: 2
    GM STILL STINKS!!!
  • Options
    Did your 1500HD have the old 4-speed? The new trucks are prone to down shifting. That's they way the truck's power train is set up. There are other places on the web (that I will not name because it's not fair to Edmunds) that many owners meet (more than the 14 unhappy ones here) that are very happy with their trucks.
  • Options
    walker55walker55 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at a 4.8 4 speed Extended Cab LS for around $25,000. I see all the postings with the problems of the 5.3 6 speed. Is the 4.8 a better bet even though mileage suffers a bit?
  • Options
    what year is the truck your looking at?
  • Options
    There are fourteen people on this board who do not like their transmission. If your looking at the new trucks, yes the small 4.8 has the same transmission. However, GM has sold 50,000 trucks each month for the past several months. Take the truck on an extended test drive and make up your own mind.

IMHO the 5.3 motor is the best for balancing power, economy, and towing capability.

Right now you can't beat the deals out there if your looking to buy new.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
  • Options
    chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    the small 4.8 has the same transmission-

Correction here -according to Chevrolet's website the transmission is a 4 speed.
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Yup the 4.8 comes with the 4L-60e.
  • Options
    sierraz7onesierraz7one Member Posts: 2
    Walker,
    I LOVED a 4.8L/4-spd Powertrain that I owned a few years ago!
    You will NOT notice any difference in power. It's only about 4% less (302 vs 315hp)
    You could expect very similar mpg...

The transmission was very nice shifting as expected.

For the record my 2008 5.3L/4-sdp w/ AFM was awesome too. From my perspective it all went to crap with the introduction of the 6-spd.
  • Options
    walker55walker55 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at a 2011. Seems to be more 5.3 v8s available out there than the smaller v8.
  • Options
    gtp3800gtp3800 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2011 silverado extended cab with the 4.8 and 4-speed and the drivetrain intermittently bangs, clunks and the truck surges when applying light throttle at low speeds... apparently the 4-speeds are just as crappy as the 6-speed.
  • Options
    It's good to know now even a transmission they have been producing for sometime has issues as well.
  • Options
    lstriplstrip Member Posts: 42
    edited September 2011
    so chuck, how do get gm to address these issues?
  • Options
    gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Gtp3800,

Have you worked with a dealership or with Customer Assistance towards addressing this concern?

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have the 2011 LT Silverado 6 speed w/the 5.3. I have 8,000 miles on it with ZERO issues. That doesn't mean it's not clunky at times. But it's satisfactory.

BTW-GM truck sales were very good for November -

http://media.gm.com/content/dam/Media/gmcom/investor/2011/DeliveriesNov2011.pdf

A little over 46,000 units Silverado and Sierra combined!
  • Options
    its sad hear of yet another unsatisfied customer.
  • Options
    so how many unsatisfied customers does it take for GM to fix their mistake?

you say only 14 here complain, that's 14 too many.

AND if its only 14 bad transmissions then why not fix them? after all, whats 14 transmissions to a company like GM?

still an unsatisfied customer.
  • Options
    Hoppy - you took it to the dealer, they found nothing wrong.

Sorry your unhappy. When your in an equity position, buy a Tundra.
  • Options
    ashoasho Member Posts: 2
    Sara
    I am currently working with a dealer to purchase a GMC truck, it will quickly become WAS without some sort of explanation. A clear and concise definition of the root cause and corrective actions needs to be provided or my hummer will be my last GM purchase. Ever! Not trying to be harsh but I do want to be clear. The hummer is gone totaled during the wind storms……… I was hoping to continue partnership with GM….. we’ll see what you have to say?
    Thanks
  • Options
    I'm sorry that your HUMMER was totaled, and appreciate your interest in continuing to stay with GM.

Having read the forum posts from the past few months, and coming to a firm understanding of the concerns described (hesitation when gas applied, "clunks" and "slams", and so on), I have looked through the resources I have available to me as a Customer Service Representative to see if I could provide a "clear and concise definition of the root cause and corrective actions" for you and other forum members on this matter. Unfortunately, at the moment, I have no such information.

I realize my responses to previous posts may have appeared to be quite limited (directing those with concerns towards dealerships), and can see how that would be a frustrating response for you, our drivers. The dealers have the technical information to better address these concerns.

On my end, I enter information into our database and when our drivers work with our dealerships, the dealers do the same. These all help GM to make decisions on products, including future products.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    49chevy49chevy Member Posts: 5
    I got a nice response from Sara and that was it. GM has a nice article in their latest owners magazine about the guy in charge of the power train, but he obviously has not been on any of the sites with customers complaining about hesitation on acceleration (one of my issues) or the transmissions not shifting correctly. Be very careful looking at the GMC trucks and maybe the Chevy ones. The salesman will promise anything and the service department will just tell you "that's how they all run" and "they are working as they came from the factory" and will not go further to stand behind the vehicle and resolve unhappy customers.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Asho,
    The problems with the transmission are not wide-spread. If you go back through the 1,000 plus posts here you will see they are authored by about 14 people. Please keep in mind that GM sells approximately 50,000 trucks a month. You don't read about they other hundreds of thousands happy owners.

IMHO Sarah does not have any information because there are not any drivability issues that prevents these trucks being operational. Even those that complain admit their trucks that are in many cases, two or three years old get them where they want to go.

These trucks are a great value and the 5.3 is bullet proof. If you keep your highway speed at 70 and below the AFM works great and the truck gets 20mpg.

No, I don't work for GM but I am an owner. I got very tired of the half truth posts on this forum and decided to provide additional facts.
    Good luck on your decision.
  • Options
    spyoptic20spyoptic20 Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys I recently bought a 2003 silverado 1500 with about 60k miles. The truck is in excellent condition it drives smooth shifts smooth too. A couple days ago I was driving on the street doing about 35-40 mph and I accidentally pressed the tow/haul button. The rpms went up a little bit which means the truck must have downshifted anyways it was a 100 yards from the time I pressed the button till I came to a complete stop and disengaged the tow/haul. I am now noticing that when I turn on he truck it almost sounds as if something were engaging but can't figure out what is making that noise. Like I said before the truck shifts smooth thru every gear! I already checked the fluid and it still looks new! Could switching to tow/haul option while driving have damaged my transmission? What could be making that noise? Could the tow/haul option still possibly be engaged causing the noise on startup? Any help would greatly be appreciated thankss
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    49chevy,

"GM has a nice article in their latest owners magazine about the guy in charge of the power train"

With the widespread complaints General Motors is receiving with the new 5.3 liter six speed trucks with AFM, I'm surprised they'd publish a fluff piece raving about these new General Motors trucks and send it to existing owners.

I'd understand an article to potential owners but not to so many disgruntled current newer owners.

The GM mail clerk that delivers that engineer's mail is liable to get a hernia hauling complaint letters to his office!

If you're considering a new General Motors truck or SUV with the 5.3 liter six speed; test drive it in the mid 40 mph range for a long distance. Tell the salesman to turn the Driver Information Center (DIC) to "Instant Economy" mode. Watch it from 4 to 8 cylinders. Determine if it bangs, slips, slams, lags, growls, air conditioning cycles on and off when accelerating, steering pulls right or if the interior rattles when the temp drops below 50 degrees like my 2011 Sierra does, you may think twice! If you do notice any of those "issues", don't be alarmed if the sales manager looks you in the eye and says " it's operating as designed intended " and "It has to adjust to your driving habits ". Many new GM truck owners have heard that.

The GM engineers and the Plant Quality Control people drive these trucks. They're given new cars and trucks as take-home vehicles for months. They know the transmission and AFM issues exist. Why else would the dealers be so versed in identical responses "operating as designed" when confronted with so many identical AFM and transmssion complaints on new Sierras and Silverados. Maybe because GM writes their "playbook" and tells them how to respond?

They even put "internal" corporate responses/directives out regarding how to "deal" with multiple, similar complaints on the 5.3 liter six speed.

They know they've got issues.

They're too widespread and too similar.

Maybe Edmunds and similar forums will start to question GM's current truck powertrain issues when they review the 2013s?

Kind of odd that we haven't seen the 2012 Sierras on the lots this late in December?
  • Options
    49Chev-
    Ceb is on a one man crusade to tell everyone how awful the GM trucks are. And in America he is certainly entitled to his opinion.

However, there are plenty of people who take these trucks on test drives and find them satisfactory, that's why they sold 45,000 last month. They only trail the F150 by a thousand or so every month, so they sell a respectable number.

Ceb- the reason why you haven't seen the 2012s is because GM has a 120 days plus inventory of the 2011s in dealer's inventory.

49Chev-remember, all these posts on this forum are generated by 14 authors...that's all.

And then, they all have been told by myself that a $300.00 aftermarket tune (Black Bear Performance or the like) would fix their issues but they refuse to do this and be happy.

After all, posting on this forum and being miserable are free.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    49chevy,

I reread my last message to you and have to clarify. The first few paragraphs of my last message were in response to your quote about the poor engineer that GMC featured in their latest owner's mag article. I know from reading your previous messages that you are a current owner of a new GM truck with transmission issues. The same issues many of us here and on other Forums would like GM to address with something more than the banging, slamming, slipping, pulling is "operating as designed."

The portion of my last message recommending potential new Sierra and Silverado buyers take the trucks on long test drives in the mid 40 mile per hour range with the DIC on "Instant Economy" wasn't aimed at you. It was a message to possible new buyers to ensure they didn't inherit the operating as designed - it has to adjust to your driving habits features so many of us new Sierra and Silverado owners are advising GM about.

Sorry for running the two issues together.

I guess if nobody said a word, ‘Sarah” would never have checked on the widespread transmission issues being reported to GM and its Dealers.

Sarah, please keep checking. Let us know if there’s current 2011 GM internal documentation to Dealers like the 2010 GM document (that my DS said was valid) regarding how Dealers should handle new owners complaining about the clumsy six speeds and AFM.
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Is your truck 2 or 4 WD?

Tow/haul mode and be engaged/disengaged on the fly. The only thing it does is modify the shift points.
  • Options
    Ceb66,
    Thanks for continuing to post your experience and displeasure with your truck. In spite of the "chucks" continuous posting of sales numbers and attempts to squelch the conversation, you are doing a great service to
    those that may come here in search of information.
    You had posted previously that you thought the AFM issue and transmission issue were being confused. I absolutely believe this is true with me and my truck. I had replied to you that I had monitored the 4-8 cylinder cycling and felt mine was seamless. After that post I have come to realize it is more likely the AFM causing the majority of the problems. The slamming, banging and sluggishness continues even with 20,000 miles on my truck. It used to be an issue only between 40-45 mph but has recently become an issue anywhere between 20-60 mph.
    I have also recently been experiencing something else you mentioned.
    The rattling lifters in the morning. It doesn't happen all the time but really sounds bad when it does. I am also experiencing significant vibrations between 65-75 mph. I have replaced wheels and tires and had the new tires balanced twice and still get the same vibrations.
    As someone else on this board suggested, my truck runs great aound town in M5.
    But, I should not have to do that to avoid the AFM/6 speed issues.
    And as our Buddy Chuck said, we could reprogram the truck and be happy.
    Again, I should not have to pay for this when my truck is under warranty and this is a known issue. Plus, it would void my warranty.
    I will be taking my truck to a new dealer soon. Hopefully I will get better results than I have had.
    Thanks again Ceb66.
    Larry (Happy. But would be happier if GM stood by there product)
  • Options
    Hello Spyoptic20,

I can understand your concern on this. I looked into your owner's manual, as well as other resources. The tow/haul option, as you likely know, reduces the frequency and improves the predictability of transmission shifts when pulling a heavy load. There is a statement in the manual that operating the tow/haul mode without a heavy load will not damage your vehicle. The mode will automatically shut off each time the vehicle is powered down.

There was no specific information on whether or not to engage this mode only when the vehicle is stationary. I see that you already have heard back from obyone, but if you would like for us to verify with our Technical Assistance Center on the operation of this feature, please send us the last 8 digits of your VIN in an email with "TAC Question" in the subject line.

Thank you,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    claude12claude12 Member Posts: 2
    Can you tell me where you got the video? I need to replace my solenoids.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    claude12claude12 Member Posts: 2
    My truck has a 1-2 Shift Solenoid "A" Circuit Error. I need to replace the solenoid. Where can I get diagrams/photos of this process?
    This is a 1500 LS 4wd. Is it a 4L60E transmission?
    Any help will be appreciated.
  • Options
    spyoptic20spyoptic20 Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    crottercrotter Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2011 Sivlerado and when I put the tailgate down, it doesn't lay flat to match the bed. Dealer said that is just the way they are made now. The cables aren't the problem, if it did lay flat it would be about 3/4 inch higher than the bed. Is this just really bad design or what? Any comments or suggestions?
  • Options
    worriedtooworriedtoo Member Posts: 3
    I have read the last page of this topic and comments about only a few negative posts.I am sure that does not equate to the actual number of owners having issues with a clunk in the power train.
    #1, as one person stated,"how many people are aware of this blog"
    #2, it takes time and effort to register as a new contributor to any blog(I almost did not because of that)
    #3, There is no benefit from investing time and effort since after reading some of the blogs you have already found out that
    a) you do in fact have a brand new 2011 silverado 4x4 with 5.3 v8 and 3.42 rear end with 1025 miles that OCCASIONALLY clunks
    b) lots (probably most) of people with these vehicles have the same issues
    c) GM is very aware of the problem
    d) GM so far is not dealing with the issue(maybe it will go away-head in sand tactic?)
    SO as a new entry to this blog THAT IS MY 2 CENTS!!!

My concern is what damage is taking place when the clunk occurs. STEEL on steel clang,clunk,bang is NOT good no matter how the problem is attempted to be minimized.

Any one who has driven a stick shift rear wheel drive vehicle with a worn universal joint knows that once you start hearing that clunk that it only gets worse until you are forced to replace it.

Also, if you ever had a gear in the rear end break a tooth you get very loud clangs.
    So that is what my concern is.What damage is being done and where?

If anyone out there has SPECIFIC information on damage I feel that is what we should all be trying to identify.
    With only 1025 miles on my Silverado I am concerned that I made a HUGE ERROR investing in GM again
  • Options
    "If anyone out there has SPECIFIC information on damage I feel that is what we should all be trying to identify.
    With only 1025 miles on my Silverado I am concerned that I made a HUGE ERROR investing in GM again"

There have been zero reports of damage - so your theory about that aspect is incorrect. There are people that have many,many owners that have more miles than you , and while their trucks do "clunk" at times the truck otherwise runs well.
  • Options
    "If anyone out there has SPECIFIC information on damage I feel that is what we should all be trying to identify.
    With only 1025 miles on my Silverado I am concerned that I made a HUGE ERROR investing in GM again"

There have been zero reports of damage (the clunking at this point doesn't seem to lead to the rear end needing replacement or the like)- so your theory about that aspect is incorrect. There are people that have many,many owners that have more miles than you , and while their trucks do "clunk" at times the truck otherwise runs well.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    chuck1919,

My point was that I do not know if damage is occurring or not when you hear the clunking. Clunking is usually two pieces of metal banging together. For example, if two gears are meshed together properly there is no slop or gap between the teeth but if there is too much gap or slop between the teeth you can get a bang or clang type noise when the slop is taken up when you apply power to the gear train.That is why there are specific tolerances for gear to gear contact.
    Also I am only guessing the clunk that I hear is coming from the rear end,it is definitely from the back end somewhere.
    And so far the clunk has only occurred 4 or 5 times but since the truck only has 1000+ miles it had me very concerned and that is why I am spending some time researching the issue.
    You said there have been no reports of damage.I am curious how you know this.
    As far as any theory, I DON'T have one. I'm searching for information on whether I SHOULD be concerned or not.
    My only previous experience with noise any where in a vehicle was that it always was a problem in the making.
    Thanks for your reply chuck
  • Options
    It's not necessarily the rear end. It's the binding of the drive shaft due to building up of the torque in the power train. IF you do more research you will find this out. How do I know there is no rear end damage? Because it would be all over the Internet as is this clunking thing is.

There are vehicles out there with well over 50,000 miles on them with no rear end (or rear end noise) concerns. When you have gears off spec or a bad bearing in the rear end you know it.

It is exactly posts like yours that has made me get involved in this board. It's OK to have fears about clunks in a brand new vehicle, however the sky IS NOT FALLING and your Silverado will give you many miles of service. And in the event it doesn't you have a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty!

BTW-GM sold 45,000 (combined GMC/Silverado) last month. You don't see these things at the side of the road broken. Therefore, drive it and don't worry about it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    chuck1,

Thanks for your reply. The mystery of the cause for the clunk will still require inquiring minds to search for answers but I certainly appreciate your information about the torque build up as a possible cause. You are right that it would be all over the internet if the clunking resulted in broken parts.But in the short time that I have spent researching the problem(only today) I have seen the CLUNKING issue discussed on a lot of internet sites. Apparently the clunking is associated with a variety of locations in the drive train depending on each power train configuration.
    So yes I will worry less. I have to assume you are associated with GM somehow or just a dedicated GM owner.But that is none of my business.
    Thanks again for your input I will probably not post again unless I have additional information..
    worriedtoo...(maybe less)
  • Options
    shoobirtshoobirt Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced a whining or whirling noise in first gear on these six speeds? I traded in my '07 Silverado for a 2011. Never heard this noise with my old truck.
    I was told it was normal. Of course. Guess I got 100k miles to find out. I know it's the new coporate way to cut corners and go with cheaper materials and charge more for it. I was comparing my '07 window sticker to the 2011: 90% US/ Canadian parts on the 2007, 61% on the 2011. Sad.
  • Options
    well. I have a 2010 sierra 4 crew cab 4X4 and I have had it for a year. I have decided to cut my losses and sell it. I know I will loose but it's not worth keeping it long term as I hate driving my truck. It's looks great, but don't drive it.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    We finally know that CHUCK1919 and CHUCK1 are one and the same.
    The way you know about any complaints chuck is because you ARE employed by GM.
    A "happy" truck owner is not going to hang out on a forum discussion, provide the inside info that you have, continually spout the sales numbers, and bad mouth a post describing problems with their vehicle.
    you are here to discredit any conversation that GM doesn't like.
    and they don't like conversation about their truck problems that they refuse to address.
    I had my truck in service at a new dealership and still get the same answer...operating as designed. BS
    Larry
  • Options
    mloeckermloecker Member Posts: 26
    Guys.... I think we all know "Chuck" and his goals on this forum. I discredit all and any responses from "Chuck" of any sort as they are bogus replies and he should disappear from this forum. We are know in today's busy economy and all if we had no issues with our GM vehicles that we would be doing something different than posting topics of dissapointment in respect to our vehicles. GM will and is going to do nothing about our clunks/ bangs/ squeeks or whatever is all wrong with them until these issues pose a safety concern.