Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Transmission Problems

Comments

• chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    edited December 2011
    I am not a GM employee. I am however an owner. The guys that are unhappy have every right to voice to concerns regarding their ownership experience. However, spewing have truths about their vehicles or GM is not satisfactory.

When I see a half-truth, or a statement that is not accurate I will respond.

You have one guy on this forum spewing hate against GM because he was sold too much vehicle and should have never purchased a truck for a "grocery getter" and his says GM stinks because he is driving about a truck that weighs two tons and his gas mpg stinks. You don't buy a truck for mpg (regardless of manufacturer)...that's for sure
    Sorry but if keeps "eating at you" you should sell it. I have told others the same thing. Let us know what you end up buying and what they gave you fro a trade. I would expect your looking at no more than 20K for a trade in.

Good luck!
  • peteputpeteput Member Posts: 10
    Chuck1
    I rather have a 10K loss than a 55k total loss. But this is my last GM. It's not your concern what I purchase, but for sure, I will more diligent in my purchase. I made the mistake of assuming that because I had such a great truck before, that I would have an even greater one. I can bet you there won't be any clunking noises or, lag of power, or AFM issues, or sudden down shifts coming at a stop.

You know, the GM stance of "it's operating as designed"! When you design crap, it works like crap. It operates as designed.
    I wish I had my old truck again. I was told once they put allot of money and engineering into this. Obviously not enough. They rushed the product out. And lastly, the old saying about they sold this many trucks this month. Please, Ford had the number one selling truck for years, and it would rust just by looking at it. Numbers don't state anything apart from people getting the best bang for their dollar. What is the best valued purchase for that month.

GM owner or not, does not matter if it was a Ford, GMC, CHEV, Dodge.... I would not put up with any of the problems I currently have with my GMC. And believe me, I am very vocal about GM's poor quality regarding trans and I tell them out right, don't purchase a GM. :mad:
  • mloeckermloecker Member Posts: 26
    U tell em Pete- ha! People think it is fine to spend thousands on a truck; drive it away from the lot, lose an instant 30% and then more when you trade it off because you were really disattisfied with it. We are stuck with the crap unless we want to take a butt whipping and dump it. Well, as long as my pile of bolts gets me to and from work- I will put up with it. Conversation is over. Hugs and Kisses Chucky! :lemon:
    Your right it's not my concern what you purchase. However, I was looking for a comparison once you made your purchase. That was my only point.

If you don't wish to provide a comparison, then that's your business.

Good luck on your next truck.
  • adeemadeem Member Posts: 7
    Peteput

I have been following all the complaints which I my self had as well on my 2011 gmc and feel ashamed that gmc hadn't done anything about it.
    My question to you and to all the people complaining especially in the US, can't you escalate the issue to an official federal establishment? I can understand we in Saudi Arabia CAN NOT, but you in the US should be able. I remember back on 1986 buying a camera in one of the states and when I was not satisfied with it after two weeks of usage I was able to return it with full refund.
    edited December 2011
    Anybody here in the states can go to NHTSA (http://www.nhtsa.gov/) web site and lodge a complaint whether it's real or imagined.

If the gov't feels it's warrantied then an investigation starts. Adeem, there is only 14 people complaining on this website. I am afraid that's not enough to start an investigation.
  • jasonreynoldsjasonreynolds Member Posts: 2
    i believe that gm, a.k.a. "GOVERNMENT MOTORS," SHOULD BE obligated to replace or repair any or all vehicles with transmission problems because of the faulty engineering design of the 4L60E, focusing mainly on the 1999-2001 2WD silverado or sierra. i myself am on my fifth transmission because they still haven't developed a rebuild kit or modification for its shifting problems. i mean christ sakes, have they ever heard of a factory recall? all the other motor companies will stand behind their products and take responsibility for their mistakes. why not GM? too many of these trucks HAVE THE SAME ISSUES. IT IS NOT MISUSE OF THE OWNER, IT'S IRRESPONSIBILITY OF GM.
  • jasonreynoldsjasonreynolds Member Posts: 2
    i believe that gm, a.k.a. "GOVERNMENT MOTORS," SHOULD BE obligated to replace or repair any or all vehicles with transmission problems because of the faulty engineering design of the 4L60E, focusing mainly on the 1999-2001 2WD silverado or sierra. i myself am on my fifth transmission because they still haven't developed a rebuild kit or modification for its shifting problems. i mean, for christ sakes, have they ever heard of a factory recall? All the other motor companies will stand behind their products and take responsibility for their mistakes. why not GM? Far too many of these trucks have the "SAME ISSUES". IT IS NOT MISUSE OF THE OWNER, IT'S IRRESPONSIBILITY OF GM.
    I have since paid for my truck twice because of this issue. However, during the time i made my purchase I was unfortunately misled into thinking this was a great decision on a good trusting truck. To me this falls under the same category of "FALSE ADVERTISING". Then again, your slogan like a rock did state its reliability as far as getting you where you need to go. Last I checked a rock wasn't very transit!
    1999-2001

So you want GM to fix trucks that at average miles driven per year (15,000) would make them have 150,000 plus miles on them. I don't think there is an auto manufacturer in the world that would do that.

In addition, if that were my truck it would have been gone after the second transmission issue, if what you say is accurate.
  • donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    If you really are on your fifth transmission you are a glutton for punishment. That vehicle (had it been mine) would have been own the road long ago.
  • stoneybrokestoneybroke Member Posts: 83
    2001 Silverado Z71, 4wd with 5.3 auto. Runs like the proverbial clock. Normal maintenance, change tranny fluid, pumpkin oil and transfer case fluids at 60k. replaced battery and tires at 50k. I change oil using 10w30 Mobil one every 8k. 90% highway driving gets 18mpg. darn thing does ride like like a stone boat. After reading these posts, I'll keep the old chevy.
  • manyafixmanyafix Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2012
    Almost everytime I shift from forward to reverse the engine stalls. Any ideas? Also when I try to back up my utility trailer loaded w/1000lbs, up a slope, the truck doesn't move. I step on the gas pedal,but nothing happens. The motor doesn't rev and the truck won't move. If I can get a little momentum and about 1500 rpm's then she'll move. what do ya think? Also, when I'm stopped in gear the truck sounds like a diesel till I put into neutral. I don't think the engine is bad, it idles with 40lbs oil pressure. Could it be a bad torque converter? I had the truck over to a local chevy dealer to diagnose it and after an hour later, they told me I needed a new trans. because it wasn't shifting right. This truck runs great and shifts perfect except for the few areas I just described. Any ideas?
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    It sounds like you need a new transmission. In this case, dealer is correct.
    this truck drives and shifts with no other issues. why would the trans be bad? could this be a torque converter problem?
    Yes, it could be a torque converter. But it would be nonsense to change out the converter and not rebuild the rest of the transmission.

You need a rebuild or different transmission.
    Thanks for your opinion, the previous owner did replace the trans but I suspect he didn't change the converter.
    That's a half-way repair and proves my point. To go in to a tranny and not rebuild is silly.
    Best of luck whatever you decide.
  • shawn2eshawn2e Member Posts: 5
    I have an 07, but the new body style. I had the clunk problem and it was a bad solenoid in the transmission. Was replaced twice... not sure if the same one though. But I've had work performed on the tranny 4 times already.
  • ashoasho Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! Chuck1 and Sara
    It is or was a little overwhelming when I came across this while researching the truck. I was able to use the extended test drive on a couple of vehicles. 125m worth Per truck! Being a lifeless geek I decided to use the time to examine the reported problems myself..
    1) I was able to trigger the reported hesitation on two occasions. It would appear to be triggered by a combination of throttle position and velocity. I believe the situation occurs when the engine is in the upper gear ranges at lower rpm and mph (lugging) when the throttle is depressed… IE trying to enter the freeway. ( acceleration traveling up or down the ramp followed by slowing or pause in acceleration to mesh with traffic) My experience, I noticed the truck in 4v mode and likely 5-6th gear at 40 to 45, I depressed the accelerator (1/2 to 2/3 never to the floor just enough to force down shift) and noted a short pause….. keep in mind I was trying to throw the software a curve!!!
    +++(Note) I noticed that the read outs don’t always concur… v4 is shown and mpg dips into the single digit range, how is the data provided to the display??? Real time? if so could the problem be communication on the bus? Is there and interrupt that is not getting serviced?
    2) The roads I used had fairly drastic changes in elevation. The mileage appears to take a big hit with any sort of hill climb, flat roads using the accelerator I found 17-22mpg, flat roads using the cruise control I found 17-26mpg. Hill climbs with the accelerator 3-10mpg Hill climbs with the cruise control 3-13mpg .

I feel for you guys been there myself with Toyota…. You spend your hard earned cash and have nothing to show for it and to top it off no one appears to care. They send you to arbitration where you sit across the table from Toyota executives who decide if they want your truck…
    It would be interesting to compile a list of the vehicles with the problem and compare. What are the models, what options, average air temps, road conditions, Speed, manufacturing date, etc. Find the commonalties.

Anyhow I m still on the fence……
    edited January 2012
    If you combine Chevy and GMC pickup truck sales for 2011 they come pretty close to Ford. While I respect your taking time for the test drive, obviously, based on the numbers sold and the number of posters (last count 15ish) who say they have problems, most people are not finding a severe problem that keeps them up at night.

Congrats on GM for selling large numbers against new redesigned Ford F150!

P.S.-I just returned from a trip after Christmas from Salt Lake City NV to Southern California. I make this trip often, and I decided to let the AFM "do it's thing" and keep the cruise control set to 70mph. Consequently, the truck achieved 21.2 mpg between Mesquite NV and the Inland Empire portion of Southern California where I live. That was very impressive. (2011 Silverado Crew Cab w/5.3).
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Shawn2e,
    I just wanted to make sure that you are not experiencing any current concerns? I would be happy to assist to the best of my abilities if you were.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • hogie25hogie25 Member Posts: 1
    Ok so i am 17 years old and my transmission just started having problams this morning when i drove to school. it has 250,000 miles on it and the transmission was replaced at the dealer when my parents bot it new at the dealer 16 years ago. my dad drove it off the lot with a new after market allison 4 speed transmission and it has been in the family ever since and i drive it every day and when i drove it home last night it drove just fine at highway speeds and then this morning the transmission wouldnt shift any gears at all i could only go 20 and then it would rev up and im wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what i should do repair costs are not an issue but please give any and all suggestions
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I would say take it in to a trans shop for a rebuild. That might cost more than what the truck is worth.
  • ceb66ceb66 Member Posts: 70
    edited January 2012
    In addition to the clunking banging slamming growling lagging steering pull A/C defrost cycling off, since new; my new 5.3 liter six speed with AFM (now) won't clear the message Washer Fluid Low Add Washer Fluid from the Driver Information Display. THE TRUCK IS LESS THAN ONE YEAR OLD, MORE PROBLEMS?

Not to mention the brakes squeal and the synthetic oil turns black 1000 miles after oil change?

ANOTHER trip to the Dealer. More than 9 in only 9 months of ownership? I'll use the term some of the young guys at work use; "are you kidding me man"!

More widespread new Sierra Silverado problems? In addition to the 5.3 liter Active Fuel Management and transmission clunking banging surging slipping complaints that are all over the internet, the DIS fowls up in less than a year also?

Yup, that's what I bought a new GM truck for. So I can average a trip a month into the Dealership for quality problems to hear "it's operating as designed" it has to adjust to my driving habits" again.

Terrible quality GM. Just horrible.

If you're considering a new Sierra or Silverado, test drive it for long periods in the mid 40 MPH range with the Driver Information Display on "Instant Economy." Listen for clunking , growling , lagging etc.

Lotta guys complaining about the lack of quality in these newer GM trucks. Don't just look at the new GM transmission complaints, look at all the newer complaints. The Crew Cab guys and thier noise issues on other sites etc.

Specially' since the TARP money bailout and CAFE standards increase in 2009. The two seem to coincide with many of these GM truck quality control complaints.

Even the CEO of this website, Jeremy Anwyl, cautioned the FEDs not push new CAFE standards on the automakers and the North American public.

Maybe GM was trying to appease the FEDs by pushing these unproven drivetrains too quickly with "clunky" results and widespread complaints?

My New Sierra = Terrible Quality.

And, like many, many new owners, Terrible GM Customer Support.

Just appeasement.

Every time you enter a Dealer or talk to Customer Service, tell them how disappointed you are with the drivetrain/powertrain. Keep it at the forefront. I'm going to.
  • bpowerhouse1bpowerhouse1 Member Posts: 1
    never do a flush my friend owns several jiffy lubes and has the tranny flusher and coolant one si i did both and 1 week later my trans went. so took to a grat trans shop he said never do a flush or change fluid !! drive it till the trans is done !! he did my trans in my 95 chevy 1500 hundred 8yrs ago and i pull 4 wheelers,sleds mowers and plow big lots in OVERDRIVE and have never had a problem i have referd many people and everyone loves him ! his name is vito at a-1 trans in villa park,il.
    "Not to mention the brakes squeal and the synthetic oil turns black"

I sent you a link for this on an EXTENSIVE oil information site that says this is normal.

If your going to continue to complain, at least keep it real......
  • lstriplstrip Member Posts: 42
    This is REAL!
    Both dealers that I have taken my truck to (4 times) tell me that they and GM are aware that the six speed transmission and the AFM have problems that need to be corrected but, they have not come up with the answer.
    Last service rep says his manager drives the 5.3L with six speed and has told him it sometimes feels like it is going to "throw him through the windshield". Welcome to my world! Yes Chuck, this is a complaint.
    Larry
    I have never said the 6 speed is the smoothest power train in the world. The post I cited above has proven to be a complaint without basis because the poster is dissatisfied with his truck.I cited a link which proves what exactly dark oil means. In addition, at times all brakes will squeak, regardless of the make or manufacturer.

This is exactly what has caused me to get involved in this board. Either outright lies or half-truths.
    edited January 2012
    If you're considering a new Sierra or Silverado, test drive it for a long (flat) run at 45 MPH with the Driver Information Display on "Instant Economy." Listen for clunking , growling , lagging etc. Ask the GM salesman if the "AFM" should be seamless (my salesman bragged about it). "Instant Economy" display will show the truck move from 4 to 8 cylinders in the mid 40 MPH range. Judge for yourself if the transmission is a clumsy mess. Or, if the AFM is actually as seamless as GM says it is.

Ask the Service Manager, not the Sales Manager (mine is/was a purveyor of "bovine scathology"), if GM is receiving much "negative feedback" regarding the 5.3 liter six speed with Active Fuel Management. Ask him if there are any "internal GM directives" instructing the Dealer on how to deal with all the complaints regarding the six speed transmission.

And, most of all, GOOD LUCK! With the enourmous amount of complaints and GM's non response of " Operating as Designed " and " It has to adjust to your driving habits" regarding the same issues with these new GM trucks, many of us have had bad "luck"!
    "enormous amount of complaints"

Yes, google these complaints and you will not find much. Check the NHTSA site and there is very little on there as well.

And remember, you have a 100,000 miles powertrain warranty should something go wrong.
    chucks
    the reason you are constantly on this board trying to downplay any problem is that you are on the gm payroll.
    Nope-not on GM payroll. Do I believe you have a PROBLEM with your truck? Yes, and it's unfortunate. Is the power train as refined as it should be in this truck? Absolutely not.

However in the vast majority of trucks the V8 to V4 is seamless. A custom tune (Blackbear, Predator, and others) takes care of the problems you are complaining about for approximately $300.00

I don't mind the complaints, but the half truths you guys started in with are unfair to those looking to buy.

Now others on this board have taken their complaints, half truths to other forums on the Internet. So it's not an issue of voicing one's complaints, it has turned in to a campaign to discredit and convince others every truck is like the 14 on this board.

At $9,000.00 off sticker these trucks are a good buy if you need a truck.
  • super6sierrasuper6sierra Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2009 with a 5.3l, 6speed, 4x4, 3.42 rear end. It came with the Z71 package and has the 18" wheels. I have been having problems with the transmission and I am wondering if anyone else has experience similar problems. 55k miles.
    Here is what happens.
    When I pull away from a stop, it shifts very, very quickly (under normal driving, when I hammer on it, this doesn't happen) down into 2nd and third gear...it goes to 2nd before I even make it through the light. So, when I want to then bring it up to speed, it is already locked down into usually 3rd and wants to stay there unless I go past probably 3/4 throttle, at which point it jumps down violently to what feels like 1st. Seems like it is tuned very, very aggressively for mileage. Very, very annoying as it does that all the time..so neighborhood/slow speed city driving really stinks. Tranny is very confused. If I put it into tow/haul, it stays in gear much longer and there is no issue. Seems like it might be tuned for an engine with much more torque or a 3.73 or 4.10 rear end.

2nd. When slightly rolling (1mph or less) and then trying to accelerate, there is a slight 1/2 second delay, then the power kicks in and everyone's head jerks back. I have to be very, very, very gently on the pedal and feather it through this until the engine/power engages. This seems like it might be a throttle issue or something to do with the fuel delivery. Does this truck have a throttle cable, or is it electronic?

3rd. Problem. Towing. Under hard acceleration (not w.o.t., but well past 3/4 throttle) and towing 2k--4K trailer, there are multiple times where the tranny "jumps" or slips in between 2nd-3, 3-4, and 4-5. Engine revs slightly and it jerks into gear. Again...seems confused.

I have had this truck to the dealer for warranty work on tranny. There are no codes. They could find nothing. I explained everything to my dealer as I have in this post. It is due to go in again. I checked tsb's and couldn't find any that seemed to be related to the issues I am having. HELP
    chucks
    you can deny it all you want but the evidence is there.
    you have presented numerous documents that customers are not given access to. you are always on here immediately trying to refute what YOU feel is "half-truths". you constantly talk sales numbers and now its the discounts. sales numbers have nothing to do with this issue.
    how do you know that the v8 to v4 is seamless. mine is not. it slams and bangs between 20 and 60. and the problem seems to be getting more frequent. i have had gm service managers and salesmen tell me that "they all do that".
    instead of paying you to sit on these forums to promote the company, gm
    needs to be reaching out to these once loyal customers and resolve their issues.
    then you could have a real job.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    When are you scheduled to go back in? If you would like to get a Service Request set up with us, please send us an email with more information (including your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and dealership). We can assist in trying to get this transmission concerned for you so you can continue enjoying your Sierra.
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • el_hoppyel_hoppy Member Posts: 43
    thanks lstrip.
    still no fix for my truck. I am very disappointed in GM.
    chucks says "A custom tune (Blackbear, Predator, and others) takes care of the problems you are complaining about for approximately $300.00 "

I asked the gm service rep what would happen if i disabled my afm.
    his response was "you lose your warranty"

this is not something i should have to pay someone else to fix.

why doesn't gm offer this fix?
  • mloeckermloecker Member Posts: 26
    I agree with you ceb66- GM has a bad design and they know it, but it all comes down to sell, sell, sell and who cares about the issues. It will catch em.... just give it time...... look at Toyota--- Now.... take this same truck and put a size larger tire on it... then you will see how crappy of a AFM design they really have--- upshift/ downshift/ upshift/ downshift/ clunk on 2nd gear shifting from start- just bs, pure bs.
    Buy a Ford they don't have issues either-

http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=102411
    Chucks
    You are spreading "half-truths"!

Here is the BIG difference...

"This is a KNOWN issue and there is a fix for it. Don't wait till your first service, get the truck in there NOW."

time for gm to step up!
    Here are the numbers for 2011

Chevrolet 1500 - 332,105 units
    GMC Sierra - 117,524 units

Total - 449,629 units total

compare this against Ford F150@358,762 units. The Tundra sold approx. 86,000 units.

Way to go GM. Your back!
    Chucks
    Congratulations to your employer GM.
    Now use some of those profits to take care of known issues with our trucks so that you can MAINTAIN that status.
  • adeemadeem Member Posts: 7
    These numbers you are talking about do not roll out the issue that we are facing problems with GMC trucks. I just do not understand why GMC does not believe its customers and keep saying it is normal. I have been driving all kind of cars including GMC trucks for more than 25 years, you think I do not know what is normal and what is not with regard to transmission behavior?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    edited February 2012
    GMC knows what is normal and what's not. It is a matter of economics as it's cheaper to state unable to duplicate or operating within specifications than to have a fix that may encompass a million trucks and cost hundreds of millions of dollars to implement.
    edited February 2012
    The 2010 and 2011 5.3 liter six speed transmission with active fuel management had/has many complaints. The 2012 models have the same drive/powertrain.

If you're considering a new 2012 Sierra, Silverado, Escalade, Yukon or Suburban;

test drive it for a long (flat) run at 45 MPH with the Driver Information Display on "Instant Economy." Listen for clunking , growling , lagging etc. Ask the GM salesman if the "AFM" should be seamless (my salesman bragged about it). The "Instant Economy" display will show the truck move from 4 to 8 cylinders (not 8 to 4) in the mid 40 MPH range. Judge for yourself if the transmission is a clumsy mess. Or, if the AFM is actually as seamless as GM says it is.

Ask the Service Manager, not the Sales Manager (mine is/was a purveyor of "bovine scathology"), if GM is receiving much "negative feedback" regarding the 5.3 liter six speed with Active Fuel Management. Ask him if there are any "internal GM directives" instructing the Dealer on how to deal with all the complaints regarding the six speed transmission.

I don't want anyone to get stuck with the problems GM stuck me with.

Alot of guys are complaining to their Dealers about the clumsiness of the six speed and the annoying AFM.

Before you buy, ask the service staff if they're receiving negative feedback regarding these issues. It just takes a minute to possibly save yourself months of annoyance.
    Which one would you have bought instead? A Ford?

See my post #1170.
    edited February 2012
    "Alot of guys are complaining to their Dealers about the clumsiness of the six speed and the annoying AFM."

There are approximately 15 guys complaining on this forum. Gm sold 449,000 units of the Sierra/Silverado combined last year (2011).

I guess "alot" leaves much to interpretation.
    edited February 2012
    "When I pull away from a stop, it shifts very, very quickly (under normal driving, when I hammer on it, this doesn't happen) down into 2nd and third gear...it goes to 2nd before I even make it through the light. So, when I want to then bring it up to speed, it is already locked down into usually 3rd and wants to stay there unless I go past probably 3/4 throttle, at which point it jumps down violently to what feels like 1st. Seems like it is tuned very, very aggressively for mileage. Very, very annoying as it does that all the time..so neighborhood/slow speed city driving really stinks. Tranny is very confused. If I put it into tow/haul, it stays in gear much longer and there is no issue. Seems like it might be tuned for an engine with much more torque or a 3.73 or 4.10 rear end."

I am not a GM representative-just an owner. Everything you described in the above paragraph seems to be to me-normal. Yes, the first gear in the six-speeds is what is known as a "granny gear" and is "very short". The truck will downshift without too much effort. I believe you are right, it's all tuned for mpg. As far as the tow haul mode, Yes, it is designed to hold the gears much longer.

You didn't say how long you owned your truck, but an extended test drive before your purchase would have revealed all of the above to you.

If you use tow-haul mode around town and keep the gear selector in 4th or 5th it seems to help.
  • jimwagjimwag Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 GMC Sierra 5.3 L eng. with 50k miles. It also has tranny problems which I can not figure out. It has an auto. trans., and when I press on the gas it fills like a manual that the clutch is slipping. It comes up with codes P0740,p0785,p2761,p0753,& p0758. The P0740 says torque conv. clutch solenoid circuit. I do not know where that ciruit is .
    I don't know if we have similar problems, but it sounds like GM has a problem with there trannys.
    Good luck on your problem.

Jim