Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Transmission Problems

Comments

• jbickhamjbickham Member Posts: 13
    Well, exact other than mine is a Sierra...but same thing. Did the transmission replacement fix your problem? And i'm curious to know if anything is different internally in the new vs the old transmission.
    Lady3bglover, How do you register your vehicle online with GM?
  • galvezfjgalvezfj Member Posts: 12
    after the transmission was replaced it has worked good. Its been about 5k since the replacement. My truck now has 12k on it and it has been working good since then. I will know for sure once the summer comes again because thats when i tow around my jet skies. the way i explained it to the tech was it felt like the clutch was staying engaged for about 3-5 sec longer than it should. Bad enough if i gave it gas i was reving the engine and not moving.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    jbickham,
    I am unsure if Lady3bglover is talking about this or not, but if you were to visit https://my.gmc.com/web/portal/managemybrand?g=1 you could set up an Owner Center account where you can keep track of service history, check into recall and warranty information, and so on.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Sorry to hear that you're still working with your dealership on your truck, jbickham. If you wanted for us to check into this further with you and your dealer, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, the name of your dealer, and a brief summary of the situation).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    There are many trucks with this issue. Please keep us posted. Some have had the solenoid replaced only to have the problem return since it's a TCM issue.
    Soo....i swapped out the car they gave me for a loaner for a 2013 Sierra...si after work when the transmission was good and cool...i figured, why not? Lets see if i can make this one do the same thing. SUCCESS! I made it mess up exactly how my 2012 does. Maybe i should go on a test drive frenzy.
    Respectfully,
    It only goes to show your wasting your time. This issue while annoying, doesn't affect anything else, it seems at this point. Either keep the truck or see if you can get out of the deal and buy another brand.
    I hear ya. But the transmission isnt functioning correctly. I am curious to know how the transmission will act if this slip occurs while pulling a heavy load or while off road in 4 low. I expect more out of a truck with a 42k sticker price. I agree it isnt hurting amything now. But i bought this as a 10+ year truck.
    I am currently towing a 5,000 pound - 28 foot travel on a coast to coast pleasure trip with my 2011-5.3 Crew Cab 6 speed. I can tell you that it does the same thing with this load behind it. It isn't really any more severe.
    How often does your truck do this? Mine only does it once when the tranny is cild and only if i am accelerating at a " oh crap i just pulled out in front of a semi" rate. And only when i leave work because i am leaving the parking lot and pulling out on a 65mph highway. Leaving from home through the neighborhood it does fine. And when i get to the main roads ranny is warm so it shifts fine.
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    Same as yours...only when cold or the first shift after sitting an hour or two but the power train is still warm.
  • sadcanucksadcanuck Member Posts: 3
    I have had my 09 since new..ordered it in.
    I have had 2 others before with an Avalanche in between. Not too many problems.
    This is the worst I have ever seen.
    Along with the clunking cold engine, which they cannot seem to find is the problem. They have changed my bumpers 6 times because of rust, my head gasket, my deflector gasket, my pistons, fuel management module, my side mirror on the driver's side is no longer power (of course after the warranty was over). The truck was burning oil. The dealership near me has changed over 25 sets of pistons in 09 trucks this year alone.
    It is the 5.3 and talking to one gentleman I know...he says the 5.3 is a piece of crap now, and is instructing people to buy the 4.8.
    G.M. of Mexico, is not doing it for me anymore. I have purchased over 16 different G.M.s new, this was probably my last.
    Ok, here's the latest. Just got off the phone with the dealership. Gm had them leaning towards some seals in the transmission that may have been not sealing correctly...?? they replaced those seals and it is still doing it. GM has created a case on this issue and actually had the dealership take 5 trucks off their lot and drive them to see what happens. 2 of the 5 did the same thing. Data was taken from all of those trucks and sent to GM so they could investigate further. The tech at my dealership is scratching his head and doesnt want to say if it's computer or if it's mechanical. GM is supposedly going to be further researching the problem, so they say... I asked the service manager if he thought it could be a computer problem and he said he isn't sure. I agree GM may know more about this problem then they are letting on, but hopefully now they are going to further investigate it. The dealership told me they would keep me updated about any responces they get from GM. So...i guess we both just have to live with it for now. I'll update if i hear anything else.
    Thanks....appreciate the update!
  • adeemadeem Member Posts: 7
    Hi Sarah,

Can customers from Saudi Arabia contact you regarding GMC Truck issues? If so, what is your contacts/email

Thanks
    Hello adeem,
    Have you already tried working with Customer Service in your region?
  • bigman55434bigman55434 Member Posts: 22
    Here's a new problem I just experienced with my 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3L 4wd truck: After backing up about 200 feet, I put the truck in drive, and nothing. No gear, no throttle, no nothing. The truck just sat there and idled. I tried shifting the truck to park, and still nothing. In park, I hit the gas pedal, and no change in RPM's. It's like the computers were locked up. Figuring it was a computer or software glitch, I shut the truck off and restarted it, and operation was restored to normal. Thanks GM for engineering such a POS!!!!
    bigman55434,

Hopefully this was a one-time thing and will not be returning. If it happens again, or if you decide to get it checked out with your dealership, please keep us updated as we're available to check into this further with you.

• adeemadeem Member Posts: 7
    Hi Sarah,
    I already contacted customer service in my region and explained the problem I am facing with my car's transmission and their usual answer is ' this is normal for 6-speed-transmission' or wait till GM tell us there is a problem and we will recall all vehicles having this problem.' I am neither willing to wait Indefinitely till warrenty expire nor risk my life driving the car with this problem.

I am totally unhappy with the way the transmission behaving/shifting at low speed. It clunk and slams like crazy. Driving the car becomes risky to me in crowed areas with heavy traffic. GM got to have the gutts to admit the problem and fix it.
  • alcianfarinialcianfarini Member Posts: 11
    I bought a new 2011 Yukon, it was my 5th new Yukon since 2000. I've been complaining about the transmission since day one! This is the worst performing truck I've ever owned. Gm wore me out, numerous return trips to service only to be told the same thing "it's normal". Hey GM......it's not normal! These trucks need to be fixed, recall them now, what do you need....a class action law suit to force you to do the right thing?
    adeem,

If you would please email the following information to us at socialmedia@gm.com we will forward it to the appropriate parties who can further assist you:
    Your name and phone number
    The VIN of the vehicle
    A brief summary of the situation

Thank you!
    Adeem,
    We all have this issue. You seem to be the only only who thinks it's unsafe. I had my truck at a dealer today for an oil change. The service writer acknowledged there are issues and said that many customers are asking for a fix. He did go on to say they haven't seen any 6 speed transmissions blow themselves apart, it's just a shifting issues.

My advice to you is either accept it until (or if) there is a fix or buy a Dodge, Tundra, or a Ford, OR whatever else is available to you in your part of the world.

Again, it's not unsafe and there is no fix...yet.
    edited January 2013
    Thanks Sarah at GM customer service for the reply. However, in my dozen times bringing my trucks into the dealer for service, and working through GM customer service, I have come to the conclusion that 1) GM customer service is a complete joke, and has done absolutely nothing for me....EVER. 2) The dealers are hamstrung by your idiotic policies and even more idiotic engineers. They are limited in what they can do, and unless a part shot out the bottom of the transmission, or the thing quits working, there is nothing they will or can do to help me.

I have gone to the lengths of contacting a lemon law attorney for my previous truck, which was a 2011 Duramax, and GM did zero to help. Your engineers hide behind your corporate attorneys and do nothing to help the customer. Case in point: You advertise up to a 700 mile regeneration interval on the Duramax diesels for 2011. I was getting around 500-600 in mixed driving, which I thought was good. Then you morons recall the truck for an emissions update due to an underperforming SCR system, and all of a sudden my regen intervals drop to 175 to 200 miles, regardless of driving habits. It's not just me, it's most owners that are experiencing this. You did ZERO to help me. No engineering support, no buyback money, no discounts, no NOTHING. You can go F yourself. I hope you enjoyed the revenue you got off me for my 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2011 (x2) Sierra's, because it's the last dime you are getting out of me. Thanks for designing such [non-permissible content removed] trucks, and completely alienating your customers. I switched from Ford's in 2004, and I will be going back to them. Ever since 2007, your vehicles have sucked. Severe driveability issues, and quirks that you would expect from a 20 year old vehicle, not one I just bought off the lot. Hell, my 1976 Mercury Monarch I drove in high school with 150k miles ran better, shifted 10x better, and gave me none of the headaches your new GM trucks do. That's a sad state of affairs, GM.
  • dthatcherdthatcher Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2013
    Have a 2011 Sliverado 1500 4x4 with 25K on it. It's has been in the dealer shop since 12/17/12.The transmission broke {first gear"}pulling away from a gas pump!! The main part that broke was the "Sun Shield" which I hear is common. It took two weeks for the part to come and it was broke intransit!!!!!!! It's now going on four weeks with no results. I have filed a complaint with GM and have requested a new replacement tranny, along with loan payment assistance Now I wait to see if local GM people will approve. Has anybody had the same issue.
    You won't get any help from GM other than a bunch of empty promises and excuses. They have people like Sarah troll these forums to make it look like they care, but they don't. I challenge anyone on this board to post a story where GM customer service actually did something substantive to resolve a situation. Good luck getting your tranny fixed. I'm hoping mine blows up and takes the case with it. This POS never shifted right. Heck, one time I was leaving work, and it would not shift out of first gear. Then at 30mph and redline, it finally dumped into (I think) 3rd or 4th gear, and limped away. It did this for 3 miles in traffic. And of course the throttle is electronically controlled, so when it dumped into a much higher gear, I got very little throttle response. GM can take all this electronically controlled crap and toss it over a bridge. My 2004 and 2005 Sierras shifted flawlessly. So did the allison in my 2006 Dmax. Everything since has been garbage, except for the Allison in my 2011 Dmax. The GM crap-o-matic 6 speeds are junk. Period.
  • galvezfjgalvezfj Member Posts: 12
    i had similar issue in 2012 silverado 1500 z71 4x4. My tranny took a dump at 4k, then it was rebuilt and failed again at 8. i had enough with it, contacted gm and the dealer pushed to get a new tranny put in. going on 13k and have not anymore issue. hopefully it stays that way. Main GM customer service i was in contact with send me a check for the amount of my monthly bill. for all my trips to the dealer. my closest dealer is 90 miles away. wish all the luck to you
    We're glad to hear that everything was resolved, galvezfj! Wishing you many happy, problem-free miles in your Silverado!

Thanks bigman. I figured as much. Just to let you know I requested a new tranny from GM and the dealer yesterday. I got a call later in the day advising the mystery part just showed up!!!!!!! The dealer has decided to fix the problem rather than wait from the local gm rep about replacement. They also advised that I would get payment assistance. Now I told my service tech I did not like this one bit, and the tech told me they told this to dealer management that I was not happy and still wanted a replacement. I think there has been more conversations about this than I know. Well if this breaks down again there will be no discussion a new tranny will be put in. That is if I keep this POS.
    Thanks for this information. I'm going to take this reply post to the dealer I want them to understand what is going to happen should my tranny breakdown again ( which it will)
  • moorecarpentrymoorecarpentry Member Posts: 1
    i have the same problem. same year and same mile... did you ever figure out what it was?? look forward to your response.
  • agrattonagratton Member Posts: 1
    2007c1500 pickup shifting hard bang 1st second .scan with tech 2,unable to communicate with vehicle.vehicle either has a defective module or an electrical issue (per dealer). anyone know where to start to look for electrical issue ?
  • colin455colin455 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    I have a 2009 Chev 2500HD that I wish I had never bought. The transmission hesitation has nearly killed me (literally) twice. Upon pulling onto a highway and attempting to accelerate (was still rolling) the trans slips between gears and does not engage! Vehicles coming toward my door and I have to pull over until it gets it's act together and works. Of course - no code. Trans slips upon starting from stop occasionally and then engages hard enough you think it's going to snap a u-joint. Again - no code. On highway fumbles between gears and AFM on inclines and is a joke. I've shifted lever to drive and had indicator on dash not move and no transmission reaction. Put back to park and try again and works. Of course - no code. All are intermittant enough, I can't replicate for mechanic, no code to scan for. Wife, several friends, my son have all seen it do these things but all I get is "It is operating normally", and "it has to learn your habits" crap.
    Has ANYONE figured a fix for these - or something that I can take to the dealer?
    EXCEPT you "chuck" GM jackwad(s). Read 40+ posts of you clown(s) extolling "we are spouting half truths", and "we should sell at a loss and buy Toyota"! Not to mention, use a FIX that voids our warranty.
    I am a real customer, have real problems and am getting NO help or recognition from GM. I like the truck and used it for what it was built for. I'm not moaning about the fuel economy rating lie. I just want my transmission NOT to kill me and work properly!
    Can anyone but "chuckles" offer an opinion or a fix that WON'T void my warranty?
  • jjacksjjacks Member Posts: 16
    Hello chuck, I see you're still as delusional as ever. You must like herky jerky shuttering clanking junk. If you haven't figured it out yet, nobody else does. We know you work for GM so give it a rest. Nobody in their right mind would be so proud of a turd.

So me and GM made a deal. I would trade in my 2011 vibrating herky jerky clanking turd for a 2012. In the process, the GM area rep of 25 years was canned. That's a start. Now I am the proud owner of a 2012 herky jerky clanking turd. It has a bad vibration at around 60-63 mph. I haven't wasted my time going to the dealer. I did have all four corners balanced, and checked before balancing. Vibration still there. It 'could' be a tire, but after my last experience, I kind of doubt it. I'm just going to put a new set of michelins on it and see what it does. If the vibration is still there, I know it will be from the flywheel back. 2 weeks after the 2011 was traded in (not at my local dealer, who wouldn't do a damn thing), the service manager at the dealer with my 'old' 2011 called me up and asked what I thought was causing the vibrations. Ha! The service manager called me.....apparently he couldn't get anything out of GM. I told him I thought it was in the transmission and that was the reason it was traded in. I told him good luck.

Like I said, my 2012 is a turd just like the 2011. I thought I could deal with the shifting via software, but I have to get past the vibrating first.

Even if that is possible, it is HIGHLY doubtful the shifting issues can be addressed with software. ALL of the local dealers for every brand don't even do warranty work for their transmissions, they take them to a local trans shop. I went by there and they told me that GM has been coming out with software updates like every other month. Sometimes they help and sometimes they hurt. The problem is the design. First and foremost, more gears does not equal better. The 6 speed transmission is actually 7 speeds. 6 gear sets and lockup converter. The 4.03 gear ratio is too damn low for a gear that is used regularly. 4 to 2.3 don't work. Couple that with a spragless, clutch to clutch design and you get herky jerky low speed shifting on deceleration (the lurch). No amount of software will be able to detect residual fluid that is not fully drained from a clutch pack. The problem is that even though one solenoid is released and the other is engaged, the releasing clutches have a delayed release and therefore you have 2 clutch packs fighting against each other, hence the herky jerky. The old 4l60 (4 speed overdrive) transmissions aren't designed as clutch to clutch (direct) shifters, as they have sprags that allow for seamless gear engagement overlap (no herky jerky).

Then you throw in 'Torque Management' (TM) which is a fancy way of saying GM programmed the engines so that they take tons of timing out of the motor during shifts, in a half assed way of of softening the herky jerky and synchronizing shifts. The reason why you think you're gonna get killed when you stomp it and nothing happens, is because that retarded [non-permissible content removed] transmission has to think about what it's supposed to do, and at the same time, depending on the driving condition, engine timing can go from 45 degrees BTC to -5 degrees ATC. In other words, when you take 50 degrees of timing out of the motor and the transmission has an IQ of 70, expect bad results.

45 degrees of timing is exactly 10 more degrees than is ever needed, except GM came up with 'flex fuel' engines....a fancy way of saying programmed in case of using E85 ethanol. Hence the timing problems. (45 will work with E85) The motor doesn't know what fuel it is burning, so it goes places in the programming it should never go. NICE.

The reason the transmissions shift pretty good under acceleration is because you get some 'slippage' which masks the direct clutch to clutch engagement. More load = more slippage= smoother. Idling down the road at 40 mph....retard starts thinking gas mileage...shift from 6th to 4th, skipping 5th.... RESULT = clank, shudder. etc. Take some timing out in the process too = no pedal response.

Personally, I'm tired of thinking someone has rear-ended my [non-permissible content removed] every other day. GM has had this transmission out for several years now. Either it can't be fixed, they're do damn stupid to figure it out, or they just don't care. Not options in my opinion.

After the tires,,,,if it is smooth at 60mph, then I will try to program some 'on-purpose' slippage into the transmission. If that don't work, a 4l60, 65, 70 etc sprag type transmission will be put in it. F GM and their crap warranty. I like driveability. 6 speed trans equipped vehicles SUCK SUCK SUCK, AND ALWAYS WILL IF THEY ARE DESIGNED FOR 'CLUTCH TO CLUTCH' SHIFTING.
    I agree, terrible transmission and GM continues to deny it! Let's start a class action law suit!!!! Maybe GM will hire an engineer from Toyota and finally get it working correctly!
    edited February 2013
    Curently on a 9 month trip around the country trip towing a 29 foot 5,000 pound travel trailer with my Silverado. I have asked dealers about TCM updates through several states. ALL OF THE DEALERS response is that GM HAS NOT come out with any software updates for the TCM. They said many are asking for it.

So we seem to have conflicting information.

A transmission swap is very involved since you have both TCM and ECM controls that would need to be reprogramed. It's not that easy.

If you decide on a "tune" or have the skill yourself to reprogram your truck, kiss your warranty good bye.
  • shawn2eshawn2e Member Posts: 5
    I had the same problem a lil over a year ago and took it into the dealership under warranty. It was a bad sylinoid that was stuck in performance. They replaced it and changed out the fluids and filter for me and shifts like a lexus!
  • timotytimoty Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1996 chevy silverado 2 wheel drive. i have had two transmissions put in and i still have this same issue. When it shifts from 2nd to 3rd it flares up before shifting. what could be wrong with it?
  • fisherbobfisherbob Member Posts: 1
    Auto tranny shifts into gears and moves fine for about 30 seconds then nothing turn truckoff for 30 seconds same results anybody got any advice
    Mine also does the same thing. Between 2nd and 3rd gear, especially when the tranny is not up to full operating temp, it acts like it is going to miss a shift, and then the engine computer limits the RPM until 3rd can engage. It really is a disappointing transmission all around. I have chosen to accept it for now, and will probably be buying a Ford or Dodge the next time around, which will absolutely be before the warranty expires on my 2011 Sierra 1500. I am tired of GM's mediocre engineering, and then them blaming it on the customer, telling them to adjust their driving style.
  • duffy74duffy74 Member Posts: 1
    my 2011 silverado is a constant disappointment. from the shotty brakes to the diff that has metal in the oil and locks up, and the bedrails the dent from falling acorns in my driveway.
    my first car was a 1966 el camino and Ive owned a chevy ever since.
    I will never buy another gm product.... today I was accused of being racist by a cheverolet costumer service agent, when I said that I was having trouble understanding him due to his non english accent. I was blown away! I have more but figure gm doesnt care they already got my $44K
    Sorry to hear of your trouble. It's been two months since my 2011 transmission was repaired. I got to say I'm very lucky the mechanic who repaired it knows his business. I've had no problems so far "Knock on Wood" but also I understand two {2] does not make a "Star". The tranny does shift better than before with no hard down shifting that a lot of people complain about. I have a 6.2 lt engine and when you stomp on it the transmission response like you want it to. I agree GM needs to get people that can speak English. If that's being racist then so be it. Good Luck but I still wouldn't buy the new eight speed Dodge
  • trannyproblemstrannyproblems Member Posts: 1
    Welp, looks like I got a bad one. less than 500 miles, I bought a rolling piece of crap. 2013 6 speed with 5.3. It's like mr. toads wild ride at disney land, and yesterday it almost got me killed.. when it lagged on acceleration.. I believe this is a TERRIBLE safety hazard.
    I gave up on my 2011 GMC Yukon, here's what you do: Take it back to service three times, make sure your service receipt states clearly that you brought it in for shifting and acceleration problems. They will tell you the same thing they tell everyone else.......it's normal!!! Then call your local lemon lawyer and let them take over, oh yeah.....if you continue to drive your truck don't forget to increase your life insurance.
  • bolo100bolo100 Member Posts: 1
    i get the same in my 2012 silverado crew cab 1500 exactly the same worries me a bit and now i wanna bring this up with the dealership i bought it from u have any success in finding anything out with whats wrong with the truck?
    Good morning bolo100,

We see you're planning on visiting your dealership to get this looked into. Please keep us updated on your progress there, and if you should need anything don't hesitate to contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

• oldcamarosruleoldcamarosrule Member Posts: 1
    I want to thank everyone for the info. I read every post on the GM trans issues. I was going to trade in my 99 Silverado for a new one. But after that forget it. I broke something in my rear end today . I will be fixing it. And i am going to pick up another old 67 69 camaro. Back when they made good cars. I spent my life perfecting the best show car paint jobs money can buy. And i am going to go back to driving the old cars full time. The wife and kids of course will keep driving the Nissans or BMW. I never have any troubles with them. American corporations have sold out to China and everything that comes from there is nothing but junk. And that is what is on most of these American made car's. Before i read your post my problem was how they justify the money they want for a new truck when they are paying 50 cents an hour for the parts on it. Again thanks for the heads up.
    Your right - doemestic manufacturers haven't made a decent car in the last 40 years or so......:)
  • ashlegashleg Member Posts: 1
    A few months ago, the transmission felt like it was slipping and wouldn't shift from 1st or 2nd. It would only happen occasionally and got worse as time went on. We took the truck to a transmission shop where they replaced the solenoid and a couple of other things and sent us on our way. Worked fine for a couple of days and then occasionally wouldn't shift. $400 and a week later we were right back where we started.
    Took it to a different transmission shop where they felt the ignition switch was faulty. Replaced it, and then they thought it was an issue with the computer. The shop replaced a number of parts including the computer and as it stands we have spent 1400 on fixing this issue and now it's not starting. The infuriating thing is that almost definitely tomorrow, it will start perfectly. I do believe the people working on it are trying to fix it. The intermittent and changing problems that began with the non-shifting transmission seem to really have them stumped. If this sounds like anything someone has seen, I'd appreciate any input. I realize it's an older truck but we would like to keep it if we can.
    Thank you in advance for any thoughts.
    The transmission issue is normal. The dashboard going out is not. The six speed transmissions are not the most smooth shifting transmission. However, this hasn't affected reliability.