Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Transmission Problems

Comments

• maxwell10maxwell10 Member Posts: 29
    i believer the 17 bolt is a 4L80E, i have one in a 3/4 ton chevy.
    mine shifts out of OD on a hill as is normally expected but then will not shift back into OD and then will shift hard thur gears at each stop.

Must stop truck turn off engine for about 30 sec. start up and every thing is fine.

Have a great Chevy truck day!!
    I may not be much help on truck repair, but I can tell you one thing you can put in the bank.
    A perfectionist should not buy a used Chevy truck, you have to expect problems every day or so, you must just learn to live with them and fix them when they get so bad the truck will not long go.
    I do not believe this is the life style of a perfectionist, I should know I have a son who is the same way, he bought a used Ford truck with 60K, I could not believe it. But he still drives it and is always asking me to listen for some unknown rattle or noise, as a Chevy truck owner, I say do not worry about it until you think the wheel is about to come off.

Have a great Chevy Truck day!!!!
    how many miles, if over 100K, truck needs a tuneup anyway. New wires and plugs

otherwise:
    might check wire to #5, could be shorting out on something,
    cheap fix, replace number 5 wire and plug could

When my trans acts up I stop, turn engine off for 30 sec. problem clears up and on I go, mine problem is some type electrial issue and your may be to as when it clears trans works ok, trans would never work ok if you had internal gear/clutch problems.
  • brjohnbrjohn Member Posts: 1
    I recently had the transmission re-built and after about 7k miles I had a grinding noise between gears. It seems to shift fine and is not slipping but at the top end of each gear I get a loud grinding noise and I have to let off the accelerator to stop it, then it shifts to the next gear. If I go easy on the accelerator it doesn't do it but I mean easy to the point of ridiculous. Also seems to do this when I am accelerating and hit a bump, almost like something is loose??? Is there any chance this could be a problem other than the transmission? The transfer case was low on fluid, but works, although it seems to go in and out when driving. Could the transfer case cause a problem like this? I need to know before I pull it for warranty. This is a automatic overdrive transmission on a 4wd. Any help or thoughts would be great.
  • durabrokedurabroke Member Posts: 2
    Sticky solenoids. There are 4 solenoids and for what ever reason some of them stick. My truck does thi when I park it for about 3 days in cold weather.
  • jon65jon65 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what would cause my 4 speed automatic transmission in a 1999 3500 GM box van to not shift into 4th gear (overdrive). all the other gears seems to shift fine but it just won't shift into overdrive.
  • slewrateslewrate Member Posts: 3
    I'm buying a 2005 Silverado 1500, 2WD, Z71 package, 5.3 L (327CC) Crew Cab next month and I'm wondering where I can buy a feesable and functional (proven) code scanner for this truck. As well, anybody know of good repair manual source for this truck. I won't be overhauling any tanny's but I would like to read the book or DVD and learn how to troubleshoot sensors and electrical stuff. I thank you all in advance.
  • rhtransrhtrans Member Posts: 84
    Its impossible to dianose that problem without hooking a scanner to your truck and reading data lines. There are to many factors. But i can make a suggestion, if you have the 4L80E trans in that vehicle, try switching the input and output speed sensors. they are the same sensor, a faulty input speed sensor can cause a no 4th gear. If your symptons change then that is the problem..if not you need a scanner. they are located on the driver side of the trans on the side of the case
  • grumphygrumphy Member Posts: 6
    I have an 04 silverado with 90.000 miles
    the trans slips shfting into second at slow speeds after it heats up.
    if you accelerate fast it shifts fine.
    i had it flushed at 75000 miles but they did not change the filter.
    could the filter be causing this probloum.
    thanks Joe
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    While the old filter could add to the problem, I think it was caused by the flushing. I've read many people having problems with somewhat high mileage doing trans flushes. The reasoning behind it was that the "flushing" dislodges gunk, which you would think is good, but not in all instances causing more problems at times than it solves.

I'm surprised that they would reinstall the old trans filter. I mean its the same as changing your engine oil and leaving the old filter in place.
  • nwalker1nwalker1 Member Posts: 17
    I bought my chevy silverado 00 new with the 5.3L and currently have 193,000 miles with zero problems to report about the transmission or motor. Plus the original spark plugs are still running great and gas mileage is still around 18 mpg combined city/highway. Plus I routinely overload the bed...I've had over 4000lbs. in the bed a couple of times too.
  • nwalker1nwalker1 Member Posts: 17
    I've had my chevy 00 since new with the 5.3L and valvoline flushes my tranny every 50,000 miles. I routinely overload the bed and currently have 193,000 miles and the tranny still feels brand new.
    Just so you know..a flush service and a transmission service are not the same. A flush is where a machine is attached to the cooler lines, replacing the old fluid with new fluid. This does not include changing a filter. A service is where the pan is removed and the filter is changed and sump is cleaned out. Late model 4L60E's have plastic 1-2 accumulators that can crack...also in 2003 gm went to a new style epc solenoid that has causing pressure problems at low mileage.
  • lentinelentine Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A GMC 2004 8.1 MOTOR AND ALLISON TRANS,EVERY THING WORKS GOOD WHEN I FIRST USE IT, THAN WHEN IT WARMS UP. I CAN'T USE REVERSE. THE OTHER GEARS WORK FINE, THE DEALER HERE CAN'T TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG. ANY ONE KNOW WHY THIS HAPPENDS?
    THANKS
  • viscernviscern Member Posts: 5
    Intermittent problem with truck kicking into gear after setting for a few hours or over night. Sometimes when I start the truck and put it in gear it takes right off. Other times it does not kick into gear and just revs up when I give it gas.

Could it be a clutch or oil pump problem? Or do I need to get a transmission job.
    What do you mean the dealer can't tell you whats wrong? A faulty mlp sensor can cause that also a speed sensor. But usually are very easy to detect and diagnose. But You may have a different problem. I suggest you take it somewhere else if they are not capable of diagnosing the problem.
  • psuscaperpsuscaper Member Posts: 1
    hello, I have a 2006 gmc 2500hd with the duramax and allison. Took it two the shop today and was not happy. Truck only has 45k miles on it, which I consider hardly broken in.

To make a long story short, it first turns out all 3 transmission lines to the cooler are leaking at the cooler. Is this possible for a truck only 2 years old and with 45k miles. Being ALL 3 lines went bad, doesn't it seem a bit sketchy???

Second, they had to replace a glow plug and when they got done with that, it still had a code problem. The truck had a recall on the plugs this past year that I had taking care of. Could the recall not have been in time and have caused damage to the engine????

I'm VERY upset with this truck so far, as I have had owned many gm trucks but never have had so many problems. I don't even really use this truck as a work truck as I did with my others.

any one out there with any information I may find amusing about the problems I'm having??

ss
  • yadayada3yadayada3 Member Posts: 1
    I took my truck to the dealer last friday,I made mention of the fact that I had a small drip of transmission fluid in the front of the truck .I was informed by the service tech. that the lines were improperly designed and that Chev. was hard at work redesigning new ones. I asked what the eta was on the new lines and did not get a response.I have also had to have my passenger side door adjusted because it keeps getting out of alignment and sounds like a wind tunnel @ hi-way speeds. I drove Fords for 30 years,, Really enjoyed my Chev tillI started to have all of these little issues w/ it. I mean who would produce a vehicle and put it on the market w/ faulty lines to the transmission...??? :mad:
  • hardlydirvinhardlydirvin Member Posts: 4
    I've got a 06 2500hd duramax that does not like the cold -40 below. yesterday 020508 my trans went into shift inhibit again. it is in the shop again the first time cost gmc a new tranny. have not heard yet about this time any other victims out there?
  • 04gmcsierra04gmcsierra Member Posts: 2
    I have a 04 GMC Sierra 1500, Z71, with the 5.3 V8. I bought the truck 7 months ago with 31k miles. Trans shifted perfect. Now with a little over 35k miles, the transmission upshifts really hard from 1st to 2nd. Also have a clunk from 2nd to 3rd. Brought truck into GM Dealer and of course they said they could not find to problem. GM told me that they were going to extend my drivetrain warranty to 7yrs or 70k miles. Has been over 3 months and still trying to get GM to send me the paperwork. Just today when I was changing my oil, and I noticed that the transmission cooler lines were soaked with fluid. Checked fluid level and was a quart low. Anyone have any ideas why my cooler lines would be leaking fluid?
  • mdsxs4mdsxs4 Member Posts: 9
    I don't know about the cooler lines, but I have a 2006 1/2 truck that was shifting hard into 2nd and the check engine light would come on. They had to replace transmission at 28000. This transmission had to be repaired at 17000 also.
    The dealer said that my transmission was full of metal shavings on all of the clutches.
  • daracodaraco Member Posts: 1
    Saturday morning when I cranked up my 99 Chevy K1500 it lunged about a foot and half. It was in park but still it lunged forward. Hasn't done that again but it is making a clicking sound like a card in bicycle spokes when its in 1st and 2nd gears. When it shifts out to 3rd and 4th the noise quits. This is a 4 speed auto tranny. Is it dying on me? What could be causing the clicking noise. It's like something laying on the teeth on a gear.
  • mack19mack19 Member Posts: 1
    I am taking my 06 in Thursday to Tucks in Hudson to take care of the hoses! It was in last week for the problem, butttt they did not have any hoses, they are on back order, because there are too many trucks out there with this problem...

Whats up with your glow plugs?
  • akmakakmak Member Posts: 1
    I just had the exact same problem. 08 2500 duramax chevy with 240miles. Truck said shift inhibited, was towed to dealer and the tranny had crumbled inside. I am under the impression they are fully aware of this problem but do not disclose it at purchase. I am considering taking this to the Attorney General with documentation and as many people as I can.
    my second tranny is is route. they do know about this problem .in jan 06 12 gmc trucks failed due to cold weather. mine took 28 days to repair. just 2 days from notification of LEMON LAW get out will it still has max value . new dealer seems helpful but i mistrust corporate owner ( had a 99 ram) get the picture!! when it rollsit is a great ride. if i can't trust it should have stayed with 1st wife still rolling in my rental POS
  • jbenavidesjbenavides Member Posts: 2
    Yesterday, I was driving out to my lake house and when I stopped at a light. I heard a loud "POP" and then the engine began to race. I thought the tranny slipped out of gear so I put it in Drive and nothing, same for 3rd, 2nd and finally I got some movement out of 1st. I was able to get the truck out on the side of the road and check the fluid level(which was OK) and then I called for a wrecker. After hearing the wrecker would take 2 plus hrs, I decided to try and make it as far as I could in 1st. After about 1/4 mile with the engine racing and the truck going about 8-10 mph, all of a sudden, the engine slowed down(rpm) and the trans caught. From there on everything worked fine. Put the truck in (D) and drove home, about 35 miles. The next day, I took the truck to Chevy dealer, they checked the tranny and told me that they could not find anything wrong, no computer codes or anything. My truck is a 2007 with 21k miles on it. Any ideas as to what the problem was/is??? What do I do if it happens again.??? I like the truck and this is the first time anything has remotely gone wrong. I'm planning on pulling my boat to the Texas coast in the next couple of weeks and right now I'm a little gun shy about doing it.
    have heard so many having transmission problems after flushing. However, transmission is one of the most negelected maintenance items. Transmissions that have received normal maintenance do fine with flush.

I agree, if high miles, I would not flush, just drain oil and replace filter, clean any visible material/gunk in pan area.

replace with gm quality oil. about 6 qts.

again, in 10k you can pull pan change 6qts and you will have most of the oil in trans changed.

to change to synthetic oil you need to clean trans, this would require sometype of flush and clean before adding new oil.
  • jbenavidesjbenavides Member Posts: 2
    We just as Maxwell said, It happened again yesterday and I barely got it to the dealer and he finally saw what I had said 2 days earlier. The tech put the diagnostic tool on it and guess what??? nothing...no codes at all, but there the truck was, engine running and the truck standing still in "D" and then in 3rd. The tech seemed very confused to say the least. I went by today, and they had the trans out of the truck and apart. Something about a 3rd gear failure.. They were to call GM today to get their input as to repair or replace the tranny. I told the service agent I wanted it REPLACED, but we will see. In all my driving of Chevys and GMC, this is the first time I've ever had any tranny problems. If the tranny is repaired, I'm feeling a little uneasy about keeping the one year old truck. Any feelings on whether I should get a new one or keep this one if the tranny is just repaired????
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I wouldn't settle for a repair job. Back in the early 90's I had a trans failure on a '91 Nissan at 28K miles. They replaced with a new one no questions asked. Course it could've been rebuilt but it lasted till 128K miles when I sold the truck. Worse case I would settle for would be a rebuilt with an extended warranty on the trans.
    from reading other forums, I believe your transmission thought it had a failure.

It went into limp mode, transmission goes to 2nd gear and you can limp home.
    guess that's why they call it that.

Hate to say it: probably will happen again, you may not be so lucky next time, depending on your location.

since truck is so new, might have transmission flushed, pull pan and look for metal particles in oil or on magnet, change filter.

Install a good quality synthetic oil

worth a try!!
  • buffitzbuffitz Member Posts: 1
    Was just talking to my brother in law in Falher in Northern Alberta and said there were a few 2500 HD's that burned out their allison trannies and torque converters a couple of weeks ago when it was below -40. They would start and while just sitting idling for 10 minutes or so would not get oil and fry the trans and converters. I've been dealing on a new 07 GMC Sierra Duramax withthe allison and am very concerned by this. GM is replacing these transmissions on warranty but what is to stop this from happening the next time the temp dips.
    The word was that one oilfield company up there had 80 of these units and over 30 of them had this happen that week!

Buffitz
    the only thing i know that might work would be to let it idle 24/7 till it warms up. this is the norm at deadhorse ak. and at my frozen abode in fbks ak. i was told there was a nationwide backorder on allison trannies. i' on my second. i have a 06. 25k miles. my advice is buy the gas it's cheaper anyway. you can laugh at them at the pumps.
  • tedp1tedp1 Member Posts: 2
    A friend has a 1999 1500 ext cab. Between 40 and 50 mph, the thing stutters. Tach is steady, so engine is not stuttering, but trans is. Anyone had this situation, or have any idea why? No codes show up on the electronic diagnostic device. Runs smoothly below 40 and above 50.

Thanks in advance,
    Ted
    Stutters or shudders? Most of the gm trannies will allow the clutch in the torque converter to slip anywhere between 30 and a 150 rpm at lower speeds depending on throttle position and load. it's called pulse width modulating through a solenoid to a the converter clutch. when at higher speeds, typically around 60 the computer ramps the modulation to around 100% fully engaging the clutch in the converter with no very little slip. If you are actually feeling a shudder, which is not not very common with a gm product by the way, most likely you have low fluid level or damage in the tcc circuit or converter the its self. i'd try changing the fluid and possibly adding some shudder fix(slip additive) to see if it would help the clutch slip smoothly. There is a modification that can be done to the valve body to allow 100% clutch engagement at all times...but help if there is another underlying internal problem. hope that helped.
  • ftrspeedyftrspeedy Member Posts: 7
    Twice now my 2008 1500 has gone into a partial limp mode. first time i lost cruise gear range indicater and trans shifted like it had a bad [non-permissible content removed] shift kit..dealer found nothing. Second time i lost gear range indicater and afm, had cruise and shifted smooth minor loss in power, just before this second the truck seemed more peppy than usual. any one else have same issues and what your dealer say bout it.
  • ftrspeedyftrspeedy Member Posts: 7
    i've had several friends that rebuild trannies tell me to put trans in neutral if u let it sit and idle for extended periods, 1 so that the fluid can circulate threw the trans and not starve any vital parts and 2 it warms up slightly faster too. the problem for the allisons cld be fluid starvation, try puttin them in neutral, i don't let my truck idle in part for more than 3 minutes, if its really cold i go out and start in and put it in neutral right away.
  • comdoctorcomdoctor Member Posts: 1
    I have an '01 Siverado that has a shifting issue. When going down the road at light throttle it seems to shift up through fine. When throttle is applied, trans goes right to second gear and stays, even at WOT it wont shift up. When going 45 -50 mph and let off the gas, the trans upshifts (can drop the shifter to 3rd and feel it so i know it is up in OD). As soon as throttle is applied, the trans goes to second and stays until i let off.
    Any suggestions? I've read about a throttle position sensor, is this on the tranny or under the hood? Would this cause this? The shop i use did a filter and fluid change 2 days ago and recommended a new trans. If the thing shifts up with no load, could it be some sensor? They also said they didn't get any codes, seems not uncommon for this trans. 460le i think.

Thnaks in advance,

Maine Chevy owner
  • slewrateslewrate Member Posts: 3
    Anybody use/own a HP Tunner / code scanner and/or MPVI Pro feature! Anyone recommend a scanner for my 2005 5.3L Silverado? Help me here, I'm looking to buy some software or handheld unit to troubleshoot my truck! Thanks
  • ericg3ericg3 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 2005 1500 4x4 with a automatic transmission issue. After driving, I come to a stop and when I go to accelerate I notice that the tach revs up and the truck seems like it is in neutral. The shifter still is in drive. I have to press the four wheel drive button and then I can move forward. This is intermitent and sometimes happens when I am going in reverse. I took the truck back to the dealer and they said that they could not duplicate the problem. This is driving me crazy. Anyone have any ideas?
  • bobjob360bobjob360 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 GMC Sierra HD Auto 110,000. When im in drive it starts out smooth until i hit 10MPH and acts like im in neutral then kicks back in. I took it into a shop and was informed that the tranny fluid was black but on the bright side did not have any metal shaving in it! He told me that i need either a new tranny or a Torque Converter. I believe that it does not need a new tranny for the following. When i shift from P-R you could feel the change and acts just fine in R. But when shifting from P-D321 its so smooth you can even tell which is weird. This neutral feeling also happens when in cruise going up a hill and kicks down which will give me that neutral feeling! What is wrong is it some kind of sensor or torque converter? Note i have had the service engine light come on alot lately but was told something else.
  • sundance_112sundance_112 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Sierra with similar though not exact symptoms. The dealer informed me that the error codes suggest that the issue is the encoder motor, which is a device (mounted on the front differential) that shifts your front differential in and out of 4WD. It responds when you push the Auto 2WD 4WD and 4WDL buttons on your dash. My encoder motor no longer responds to my button pushing (i.e., will not shift in and out of 4WD), though up to recently it responded intermittently. An encoder motor is more than $700 installed at the dealership. I found a place online where you can get a remanufactured one with a lifetime guarantee for just $299. I have been told that it is a simple installation for anyone who can turn a wrench and plug in a lamp. I'm going to order it today.
    friend i really appricate the info except it doesn't explaine all of allison problems:new tranny/torque converter 3 new tranny lines new starter 8 new injectors and 16 new push rods. this all happened at the dealer. i didn't know a 45k truck was supposed to self destruct at 29k miles. maybe fred flintstone wasn't so stupid after all !! still driving my rental pos
  • tedp1tedp1 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry for the delay. Thank you for the help. I'll let him know and see what he says.
    Ted
  • svroomsvroom Member Posts: 1
    When I floor the accelerator for passing gear, the transmission does not upshift when it should. The engine will wind to 4500 RPM and the transmission is in low gear or second. The transmission works fine normally.

no DTCs for the transmission. :confuse:
  • chevyjameschevyjames Member Posts: 1
    I have A 01 silverado 4.8L great truck!
    but every so often starting from A stop it will
    seem to hesitate in the tranny. almost like the
    the brakes stick.Any one have A problem like
    this?
  • ryoung6179ryoung6179 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 Silverado 204,000 on it, has always ran great except a couple of weeks ago I noticed that when I take off The trans shifts way to quick into the overdrive gear which bogs down the truck. It's fine when I manually shift progressive through the gears. Any solutions?
  • fiberguyfiberguy Member Posts: 1
    Looking for anyone else that has an 8.1 with the 6 Speed manual---Mine has developed a rattle near the base of the shifter, it only can be heard under acceleration or load. It happens in all gears dealer can not tell me if this is normal since they work on very few of these transmissions.

I am hoping maybe another owner can help.

Thanks
  • grumphygrumphy Member Posts: 6
    I have an 04 1500 silverado with the 4.8 motor.
    The tranny slips only when hot and at low rpm when shifting from first to second.
    on fast acelration it shifts fine.this only happens from first to second and only when hot on low aceration.trans was flushed but no change.
    thanks for any help
    Joe
  • bigt442bigt442 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 1997 Silverado 4l60-E transmission with no reverse, I rebuilt the trans and now the truck is locked down and will not move even in neutral. It shifts in every other gear and will move forward. You can tell it shifts into reverse but acts like the brake is on, what could the problem be? any clues? This makes the 4th one I have rebuilt and this is the first time with this problem. :confuse:

PLEASE HELP!!!
  • fordfan_17fordfan_17 Member Posts: 175
    ok drop the pan and put the 3 8mm bolts where they are supposed to be i know exactly what happenned. as i made this mistake myself quite a few years ago all 3 8mm bolts go 1 to left of epc solenoid and 2 even with wire connector what has happened is you one of these bolts in the wrong place if you need a picture lemme know ill get it for you