Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Transmission Problems

Comments

• zhoodzhood Member Posts: 1
    i have a 90 pickup it holds first long and then shifts hard at 3500 rpm with reg driveing and it makes roaring wineing nois when going down the road like it comes from the converter i got the tranny at the junk yard and installed it my self not a mechanic i am a mason please help some on at napa said some thing about a tv cabel i do not know please help
  • jbh40jbh40 Member Posts: 5
    The transfer case has a input shaft seal that is bad, pull the transfer case and replace the seal.the fluid in the transmission is seperate from the transfer but when this seal goes bad it lets all the fluid from the transmission go into the tranfer case.Your transmission will need to be rebuilt, it sounds like the band is burned out. you will not have second gear or overdrive when the band is burned up. HOPE THIS HELPS.
  • Lady3bgloverLady3bglover Member Posts: 24
    We all know Chevy/Gm isn't known for their transmission production, unless it's on a performance vehicle. After #3 on my '02 Silverado (2 were replaced by GM), I've upgraded to a performance trans with a Vig 3400 stall and Servos.

I agree... get the cooler. B&M has a nice set up and it's relatively easy to install.
  • byanceybyancey Member Posts: 3
    Found out it's the ignition switch (not the key tumbler) that was bad. Seems it supplies 12v to the trans and when it would lose power, it went to "limp-home" mode. $30 switch, $20 labor, and problem fixed. I looked at the old switch and it had carbon on the contacts. Mechanic also said it could cause the electric fuel pump to quit.....too much computer stuff nowdays....

BY
  • combine_dudecombine_dude Member Posts: 1
    2008 sierra 4X4 crew cab 6.0 V-max trailering pkg. About 1500 miles now. I drive like an old lady most of the time (I have to use a hand brake control-so kinda hard to take an agressive drive as bad as I may want to) but I do get on it now and then on the straights. As compared to my 2002 Chev 2500HD 6.0 this new one acts like it has a rubber band in the throttle linkage (I know it doesn't have a linkage but this description paints the best picture for you). The response you get doesn't seem porporsional to the amount of pedal movement you apply.You can move out easy, then press a little to pick it up a bit, and get not much response, so then a little more, and sometimes a little more before you get much, then it comes alive and keeps pulling hard way beyond where you would expect it to level out (almost like a turbo lag). Then you gotta get way out of it to level out at a reasonable speed. This seems strange. Is it just the way drive by wire is? Not a big issue just wondering. A bigger concern is when I slow down (pretty slow) to make a turn, like into my driveway (100 yds long) and then press on the gas slightly to take me up the driveway there is a slack point as if you slipped it into neutral for a split second before it starts to go again. I believe it is more prevalent when the pick-up is cold. I'm a newby here. I read all 400 or so tranny entries-pretty interesting. Lots of good heads out there! My AFM 6.0 has me a little scared after reading some of the comments in that section. I would invite any of you who really KNOW (not just strong opinions) GM engines to put my mind at ease. I was "Ford to the core" from age 12 but (after openning my mind enough to consider all brands) starting in 2002 have bought 5 GMCs and 2 Chevys and liked them all. Hey, I'm also pretty computer/internet challenged. Where'd that car picture next to my message come from? Please take it easy on this old farmer in your response!
  • madman4madman4 Member Posts: 1
    I own an 03 Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax w/ an Allison transmission. My problem started not long ago as a hard shift between 2nd and 3rd. I decided to change the fluid, filter, and give it a trany flush. Since then the truck has gone into limp mode twice at highway speeds, not good. It does this when everything is good and warm, when the trany is cold everything works properly. I would really like to get an idea of possible solutions. If they don't involve doing a rebuild on the trany I would like to do the work my self.
  • mtceintlmtceintl Member Posts: 2
  • mtceintlmtceintl Member Posts: 2
    After a recent snow storm, rare for this area, I ran into a problem with my 2001 2500hd with the Allison transmission. It locked up in 2nd gear and I lost indication of selected gear on the panel. After it was left in the garage overnight it returned to normal but the lockup happened again a couple of times. DTC code of 0708/0709
    "range selector problems. Loss of indication became worse. After digging around on many forums and into the GM service bulletins I found something really interesting which ultimately solved my problem. There is evidently, a bit of a design problem in that when you turn left any water or snow gets sprayed up directly on to the park/neutral/ backup switch, which is also the range selector switch. If the selector shaft o ring is worn or cut, water penetrates the switch and the problem begins. I changed the switch and everything back to normal. Out of curiosity I drilled out the rivets and opened up the switch. Sure enough the o ring was damaged and there was water in the switch. The switch had water repellent grease in it but the water had caused high resistance across the terminals.The things they don't talk about !!! Hope this helps someone else.
  • jeff2500hdjeff2500hd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2500HD also and it has the 6.0 gas in it. Tro help you out I bought the truck new and from day one it runs cool. Only on a hot day especially pulling my camper it will go upto 180 to 190. During winter months I rarly see it move. Take Care....
  • grampy1grampy1 Member Posts: 140
    2004 K1500 sierra, 4 speed auto,4.8 lit.

Whats the best/accepted way to service the tranny? i hear different opinions. My owners manual just says "service the transmission". I don't know what that means.
  • speedboy1speedboy1 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 chevrolet silverado RWD its got 126000 kms on it now is there a 5 speed auto available for it because mine feels like it has 5 gears
  • rcgsilverrcgsilver Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with 2000 silverado, it was a dry yoke in the drive train. it took two years and about six trips to the dealer before they found the problem. it was fixed under warranty. i hated driving my truck those two years, i hope\ this helps.
  • akjbmwakjbmw Member Posts: 231
    I had a '98 K1500 that felt like a "fifth" gear when the torque converter lockup occurred. No idea if yours behaves the same. Also, when lifting your foot off the gas pedal, it coasted for about five seconds before starting a deceleration action. It was OK once I got used to it.
  • msfexpmsfexp Member Posts: 1
    My '02 Sierra 2500HD has the same shifting problem. When I attempt to "kick it in the butt" at speed hoping it would drop into a passing gear, the truck acts like it wants to, but then just "dogs down" unless I back off the accelerator. Had this happen before and the deal told me it was the oil filter...yes, oil filter. The previous oil change had a Wix filter installed. Evidently that has an affect on back pressure, typically 4-6 lbs., but was causing 8 -10 lbs. Filter was replaced by Genuine GM parts and the truck ran like a top.
    Again, about a year later, same thing. Wix filter was installed again, and again same problem. However, when I replaced the Wix with a GM/Delco filter, the problem didn't get solved.
    Does anyone out the have any other suggestions?
  • killerbee2killerbee2 Member Posts: 2
    I recently noticed my transmission shifting hard at times. It normally shifts really smooth,but occasioinally hard. I noticed it more often now that the weather is warmer. the tempeature guage for the transmission runs around 150 degrees. I don't know if the fluid and filter has ever been changed. I bought the truck used and was wondering if it was okay to change them with the mileage at159000.
  • 2001silverado2001silverado Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem on my 01 Silverado with a 5.3. I didn't see that the originator ever responded. Please help?
  • bumperdudebumperdude Member Posts: 19
    i have 5 silverados in my fleet (2000-2008). as soon as they show any sign of something going on w/the tranny i have them serviced by a shop with a good history. no crooks. they can look at what comes out of the tranny and tell if i'm in for a bad day or just a flush. good luck.
  • whorl16whorl16 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Silverado 2500-HD 6.0 liter gas with 104,000 miles on it. The transmission shifts very smooth while accelerating, but during deceleration or braking, the vehicle starts shuttering and acts as if doesn’t want to down shift. Has anyone experienced this problem or have any ideas. Thanks.
  • whorl16whorl16 Member Posts: 2
  • onyx2onyx2 Member Posts: 3
    i have an 04 chevy 2500hd 6.6 that surges at idle. if i let the truck idle it jumps from 1000 to about 1500 every 4 to 5 secs. it only happens sometimes so it's kind of hard for me to pin point the cause of it. plus my engine light likes to come on an won't let me go over 2500 rpms. the code says something like (pressure regulator failure at acceleration). i know someone has to have same problem out there. if anyone can help with this please help.
  • annabelle1140annabelle1140 Member Posts: 1
    Had a new motor and tranny replaced 14 months ago. When I take off to drive the truck, I have to push firmly on the accelerator to get it going. Once the RPMs get high enough it shifts into 3rd gear and does fine from there. It seems to be skipping 1st and 2nd gear. Transmission shop did diagnostics, said it threw a code 66. He then bypassed the computer and said the transmisssion works fine. He sent us to electric shop, for electrical problem. They checked the wiring from the ECM to the transmission and said its fine, so it must be the main computer. We have replaced the main computer and still Not working correctly. Any clues, these diagnostic fees have emptied our pocket. Please help">
  • byanceybyancey Member Posts: 3
    My 2004 GMC started in 3rd gear off and on...Mechanic did tests, changed fluid, filter, etc....found out it was the ignition switch (not the key tumbler part) that was bad. Seems new electronic trans need 12v to work right. $30 part, $20 labor...problem solved.

Good luck
  • ineedhelp690ineedhelp690 Member Posts: 3
    hi,i need some help please.I just rebuilt a 4l60e with a rebuild video.I used a master overhaul kit.put new vette servo and new 2-3 shift solenoids.i didnt replace the wiring harness.i had rebuilt it cause i lost 3-4 gear.i put the transmission in and it doesnt have reverse,jumps when you put it in park.and drives forward in neutral.but as far as 1-2-3-od they work great shifts are better then ever.if anyone can help please do. thank you
  • helpnickhelpnick Member Posts: 2
    i have an 03 1500hd, and the transmission started overheating for no reason. I replaced the transmission and flushed out everything and it is still overheating. if you have any information about this problem please help me out. thanks, nick
  • helpnickhelpnick Member Posts: 2
    there is a sprag on the valve body with some teeth on it. if it is not on the right tooth it will cause your problem. also make sure the valve body has sealed properly if there is any fluid bypassing it will also cause these problems. I have access to alldata that can further assist you if you need it.
  • firejj09firejj09 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 Chevy 1500 Silverado 4x2. 10 -15 seconds after being at a complete dead stop not moving at all or anything, my truck will clunk and surge forward almost like i was rear ended. The dealer keeps lubing my driveshaft and yolk but that is not it. It almost feels like the truck stops in 2nd gear and 15 seconds later goes "O crap i'm in 2nd and shift down to 1st." i don't know if it is a computer thing or tranny thing or what. Has anyone had this problem as well and got it fixed. I have the settle back clunk from the extended leaf springs that the lube fixes but this is way different. Please post back if you know the fix or anything that could help.
    thank you i will be checking that out today. i tore the pan of yesterday and 2 or 3 bolts were loose. and i think one of the valvebody bolts are in the wrong place.im going to take the valve body down was wondering if you would know where i can get a bolt diagram at to double check my bolt locations.thanks for the help.
    well in stead of dropping the valve body i decided to tighten up the bolts and found that they were all in the right place and that didnt do anything.still moving in neutral and nothing in reverse.weird how i can dive it though and still have all gears but reverse has nothing.park jumps and neutral drives. i will be checking the spacer plate and gaskets next any tips on putting the gaskets on while tranning still in would be appreciated.And any other info would be helpfull at this time.thank you
  • dotr04dotr04 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 chevy dually 3500 1-ton and am having trouble with the tranny. After driving on the freeways for a period of time then getting off an off-ramp, the truck ssems like it is in neutral - when I shift to a lower gear nothing happens and when I try to put it in park or reverse it won't go in (makes a grinding noise). It drives fine and their is no slippage when I just drive around town, stoplight to stoplight, and drives fine when on the freeway, but when I get off the freewayit;s like it gets stuck in the gear it's in and wont downshift when I slow down. Eventually it will go back into gear, but not because of something I do - just does it by itself? any ideas?
    Thanks,
  • bimmerhedbimmerhed Member Posts: 2
    I was test driving a Z-71 4X4 and I noticed a Service 4WD message in the cluster. I tried to press the 4WD buttons but nothing seemed to happen. Also noticed a red led that indicated "N" that is located between 2 of the 4WD buttons. The truck has193K miles on it. If the transfer case or transmission needs servicing, will it deactivate the 4WD function??????
  • akjbmwakjbmw Member Posts: 231
    Any other folks thinking heat related?
    Plastic pistons in the valving process start to crack (older Sable/Taurasourus do) and get stuck in position from freeway speed heat? Maybe gunk collection?
    Find a trans shop or mechanic you trust.
    I would expect a shop to be required to do a whole trans redo. Liability issues would prevent a less expensive valve body "patch".
  • utlagatusutlagatus Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 GMC Sierra and experience the same problem. It doesn't happen every time. Let me know if you find out anything and I'll do the same.
  • kevinc70kevinc70 Member Posts: 3
  • kevinc70kevinc70 Member Posts: 3
    I have a check engine light on in my 2003 GMC sierra 2500 h.d with the allison and when I scan it a p0700 transmission code comes up and wont erase. The truck also has no reverse lights and the steering column indicator does not work, along with DIC (driver info center) could this be linked or just a coincidence. It seems to shift and operate fine. Just wondering if anybody had a issue like this or simular.
  • wwc_dawwc_da Member Posts: 1
    PLEASE HELP ME OUT ANY WAY YOU GUYS CAN!! I JUST BOUGHT A 1995 CHEVROLET SILVERADO Z71 TRANNY WAS NOT SHIFTING OUT OF 2ND TO ANY OTHER GEAR!!!!! SO I HAD IT REBUILT PUT IT BACK IN AND IT SHIFT'S HARD FROM 1ST TO 2ND... JUST LIKE IT WAS DOING BEFORE I HAD IT REBUILT... AS WELL AS IT STILL WON'T SHIFT OUT OF 2ND TO ANY HIGHER GEAR!!!????????
  • garlinghousegarlinghouse Member Posts: 2
    Hi, this is my first post. i am a former Dodge service advisor so I have some mechanical experience in trucks. I currently purchased an 03 chevy Z71 ext cab with 5.3l. I have the steering shaft clunk issue. a buddy of mine got a new steering shaft put in which is just like the original. he is starting to have issues again. my suggestion is purchasing a updated heavy duty one through LMC truck catalog. it runs about $379.00 and claims to solve this issue. second, I also have the 2nd to 3rd gear shift clunk underneath my truck at low speeds or going up hills. Another buddy of mine has an 04 sierra ext cab Z71 with 5.3l and had the same issue at 22k miles. He got this issue fixed at the gmc dealer where he lives, they replaced his driveshaft with a beefier one which looks like a 2500hd shaft not sure though but definately beefier than the stock one. he now has 40k miles and says he has had no further problems. Hope this is helpful, I plan to do the same with mine and also put the steering shaft from LMC when i have the money to do so (Damn Economy!). Overall i am pleased with my truck and absolutely love the ride, though not as exciting when flooring it like a Hemi but still satisfies my needs!
  • detbreakdowndetbreakdown Member Posts: 1
    I would suggest you have someone check the speed sensor it tends to get stretched out then it shorts out.
  • eug3eug3 Member Posts: 2
    I have 2007 Sierra that does the same thing. they lube the shaft today I dont believe this will work. I will let you know
  • guitaroguitaro Member Posts: 1
    My '97 chevy does not want to shift from 1st to 2nd at first, but after it does I can drive a hundred miles and its fine. This problem is getting more frequent and lasting longer everytime. If anyone knows anything I could sure use some help. Other than when I very first take off there is no hint off a problem.
  • 05radoinbg05radoinbg Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone. Bought a 05 Silverado 1500 5.3L last week. It has 87k on it. I am a fleet manager and I only run Chevrolets and have been proven to the durability of these trucks but I may be proven wrong with this truck. I started noticing the other day that while driving at around 45 mph, without the cruise control, the truck has a lot of bucking and jumping and vibration. Had the tires rotated and balanced today and it still seems to be getting progressively worse. I have also noticed that when driving from 40-60 without cruise, the RPM's have a lot of fluctuation... and by the way, this is annoying as crap now that I have Flow Masters! I have also started noticing that every once in a while, the transmission slips when shifting from first to second. I have never seen this kind of problem out of my trucks at work so I am stumped on where to start. Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks!
  • Thunderman50Thunderman50 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Sierra 1500 that does the same thing. I can be sitting at a stop and all of a sudden it will clunk almost as though I've been slightly bumped from behind by another vehicle. Also has slight clunk on 2nd to 1st down-shift at 12 mph. I've had it to dealer 4 or 5 times. Changed out yoke, did nothing. At present time I'm battling GM at the national level and locally. I won't give up.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    At present time I'm battling GM at the national level and locally.

Battling to get it fixed or battling to get GM to buy it back?
  • pondrockerpondrocker Member Posts: 18
    i have noticed a few people mention the tranny clunk after stopping, mine doesn't clunk but it does seem to still be engaged when I try to stop,it is very hard to get it to stop easily, almost like having a very heavy trailer on the back. If i take my foot off the gas pedal, it will basically maintain that speed for at least 6-10 blocks, mainly between 45-55mph. I have never driven a vechile that doesnt slow down when your foot is off the gas? The tranny also hesitates for 2-4 seconds between the 2-3 shift point, almost slams your head into the steering wheel. I can feel vibrations through the floorboards & it seems to shutter in all the lower gears & the exhaust is extremely loud & odd sounding. On 4 occasions I have experienced a "surge", that is I released my foot from the gas pedal & the RPM's increased 500 & the engine sped up, lasts 3-5 seconds. Guys I have had this death trap into 3 dealerships, 1 of them 3 different times, the 3-4 clutch plates have been replaced, pcm upgrade, new PCM/computer installed, the pcm relearned many times, by the way this solves all the issues for about 500-800 miles & it morphs back into its old self. GM is of no help, 80 hours on the phone with them, now district rep in detroit is on the case, laughable. So please do not feel alone in your troubles, keep fighting, they want you to just go away that is their idea of customer service. If your new GM product works then I'ld knock on wood.Good luck
  • sonny24sonny24 Member Posts: 1
    Ihave a 06 Sierra with 34000 miles on it. Ive taken it to 2 different dealers for the clunk noise. The first told me it was backlash from the driveline.And that this was normal.The 2nd told me it was something about the 2nd to 3rd clutch, and that this was normal. So to make me happy the lubed the slip yolk and that lasted about a week and its back to doing it. Least to say Im takig it back again and now I have GM service rep from the factory involved. Also I had a black 05 and it never made this god awful noise.
  • txrednecktxredneck Member Posts: 8
    I HAVE A 89 CHEVY HALF TON PU, TRANSMISSION IS SLOW TO SHIFT, HAVE TO WIND UP THE RPMS, THEN IT SEEMS TO SHIFT FROM 1ST TO DRIVE SKIPPING SECOND. YOU NEVER FEEL IT SHIFT INTO OD AND DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD I CAN SHIFT BACK AND FORTH FROM D TO OD AND YOU CANT FEEL ANYTHING BUT IF I LET OF THE GAS AND SHIFT INTO D OUT OF OD YO CAN FEEL IT SHIFT DOWN. ALSO IF I SLOW DOWN TO MAKE A TURN IT WILL SHIFT BACK DOWN INTO 1ST OR 2ND, CANT TELL WHICH ONE FOR SURE. ANYBODY GOT ANY IDEAS?
  • mikesquidmikesquid Member Posts: 1
    I Have a 1993 Silverado, My transmission only leaks when I go over 55 mph for more than an hour or so. Im not sure if it is the seal or maybe the vent? If any one can help me I would appreciate it?
  • hoookuphoookup Member Posts: 1
    I started hearing a grinding noise from what sounded like the transmission. It would happen when at low speeds in 1st or 2nd gear. I would have to pull over, shift to neutral, and stop to get the noise to stop. It happened intermittently but started happening more and more. Assumed it was the trans, and had it replaced with a rebuilt. Two days later the sound returned, and getting progressively worse. the drive shaft looks like it's within limits, they looked at the rear differential and it looks fine.
    Any ideas?

thanks

2003 Chevrolet Silverado
    5.3L V8
    I WOULD GUESS THAT IT IS THE SEAL AND THAT IT STARTS TO LEAK WHEN IT GETS HOT. I HAD A CAR THAT DID THAT AT ONE TIME. ADDED SOME LEAK SEALER FOR TRANSMISSION AND IT QUIT. IT TOOK IT A COUPLE OF DAYS BUT HAS BEEN GOING NOW FOR SEVERAL MONTHS WITH NO PROBLEMS. I AM NO EXPERT BY ANY MEANS BUT THIS DOESN'T COST MUCH AND I WOULD THINK IT WOULD BE WORTH A TRY.
    IT COULD BE A LOT OF THINGS BUT SINCE YOU REPLACE THE TRANNY AND IT DIDN'T HELP I WOULD LOOK AT U JOINTS, BEARINGS, OR MAYBE EVEN THE BRAKES. WOULD HAVE TO NARROW IT DOWN AS TO WHERE IT IS COMING FROM TO TELL ANYTHING MORE.
  • ruftoyzdawtrruftoyzdawtr Member Posts: 8
    I have an 01....we bought it about 2 months ago and it has been in the shop for the last month, we can't figure out whats wrong with it. It has an allison tranny, computer was reading bad tranny codes so we had the tranny rebuilt, had GM re-flash the computer. It didnt work, It was putting itself in limp-mode. Going to about 40 mph then shifting into neutral. It's still doing it even after the tranny rebuild. EVERYTHING in that tranny is new. Have tried a lot of things, replaced switches, rebuilt torque converter, etc. nothing has worked...still is in fail safe limp mode. Any one know anything about this? maybe give me some suggestions on what to check around for?