Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Transmission Problems

Comments

• russ543russ543 Member Posts: 4
    All of a sudden our truck is having problems going into gear. It started when I put it in 4 wheel drive. Then I couldnt get it to go into Drive. Finally after about 5 mins I finally got it into drive. But it wouldnt show it was in drive on the steering column. Then the next couple days it ran fine again. Now today it did it again without using 4 Wheel drive. Now its stuck in low and wont shift back out. Hubby got under it and can find nothing wrong.

Any suggestions?
  • bartcambartcam Member Posts: 1
    worked then 10 minutes later it didn't. found fluid low, filled , still not quite working other gears ok.
  • lowcostlowcost Member Posts: 5
    hi i have a 2004 sierra 4x4 if i start the truck and put it in gear its fine but if i stop or put it in park and try to put it in drive again its like its in neutral but if i shut the truck off and wait a minute and restart it it will go into gear again but it will happen all over again i have replaced the push button control and the transfer case motor anyone ever have this problem any help would be great
  • rnhvacrnhvac Member Posts: 1
    trans will not shift out of lower gears,the fluid looks and smells good. are there any electrical components that would cause this?
  • jweston84jweston84 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    wonderin if anyone has had problems with newer trucks the reverse on mine takes about three to five seconds before it actually kicks into gear. 1-3 seam ok but dont really wanna shift to 4 anyway its in the shop getting fixed under warranty thank god. just wondering if anyone else has had same proplem let me know
  • sawdustdelsawdustdel Member Posts: 2
    2002 silverado 3500 w/ auto trans w/OD and towing, goes out of gear shortly after starting out, not even out of parking lot. I rev engine -nothing- I down shift all gears -nothing-. I shut down and restart and every thing works fine. I have had truck for short time and this has happened twice. I was told by a mechanic it is electrical problem! I dont know!
  • stuckinorlandostuckinorlando Member Posts: 3
    Have you gotten an answer yet? I have a 2001 Silverado 2wd, with the Allison trans and last week started it up and the trans would not engage. Today it drove just fine.
  • aclubbaclubb Member Posts: 1
    My transmission will shift from 1 to 2 just fine. It will rev to about 6000 rpms before going to third gear. After that it will not go into overdrive unless i let off the gas and as soon as i touch the gas it will jump into third gear and rev high rpms. Is there a bad sensor or is it the govenor?
  • sawdustdelsawdustdel Member Posts: 2
    No answer as of yet! No one I talk to is sure what could make this happen. Will keep trying.
  • ruftoyzdawtrruftoyzdawtr Member Posts: 8
    Most of you are having the same type of problems. We had the same problems also and actually found someone to diagnose it. When the truck shifts but feels like it goes into neutral first, or shifts 1st to 2nd then straight into neutral (would make high RPMS) it is called fail-safe mode, or limp mode. It is a computer problem that would come from a number of things, ours came from the "back-up neutral safety switch" or "PRNDL" switch, it tells the dash in the truck, and the transmission what gear YOU want it to go into when you put it in PARK, REVERSE, NEUTRAL, DRIVE, 2ND, or LOW. If when you put it in gear and it does not highlight that gear on the dash, chances are, there's something wrong with the PRNDL switch in your truck, ours went out because of water damage, they are attached to the side of the transmission and have 2 shields to protect them, but sometimes the shields are faulty. This part is a 100% electronic part and water doesn't do it any good haha. As a result of that part going out, and trying to coherse the truck into gear, the clutches burnt out in a matter of 5 days and we had to pay a total of $6000 to have it rebuilt and have our GM dealer "flash" the computer 3 times (an hours labor charge, which is $132 up here). Hope I have helped someone with this, just remember when you're asking around, Limp mode/fail-safe mode, and PRNDL switch.
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    Most likely it's the NSBU switch. (Neutral Safety Back up).
    Its an electrical switch mounted on the drivers side of your tranny. In earlier Allison trannys it was poorly shielded from the elements and prone to failure. I'd start there.
  • elkaholik3elkaholik3 Member Posts: 2
    Hi im new to this forum. I have a 2005 GMC Sierra. the transfer case slips into neutral when taking off from a stop sign or when throttling in to it. the transmission was replaced about 2 years ago. i was thinking the encoder motor? what do you guys think.
  • smg78smg78 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a good condition input gear for my 261xhd, why used? its simple cause I’m broke. But not having one keeps me from fixing my truck, not having my truck keeps me from making money, No money means I cant pay retail prices and the circle keeps going. If you have one that’s new or dealer or whatnot feel free to email, but my preference is used.

If you have one let me know price, your location and if you accept paypal or how you would like paid. I live in Maryland(20832) my email is shawnmili@yahoo.com
  • 01chevy2500hd01chevy2500hd Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2001 chevy 2500hd 4x4 with the 6.0 and auto trans. most of the time it ran at about 100 - 110 temp then it hit 210 and blew the external cooler out. I replaced the cooler and added the new dex 6 fluid to refill it. it ran at about 50 deg running 70 in 60 deg temp after that and for the last week, today while pulling into the drive the motor stalled out several times and the trans temp hit right at 200 deg, any ideas? It also shifts hard into 1st but shifts fin after that.

I unhooked the egr valve elect. when it begain to act up to see if it would change the running of the truck, it didnt. after the truck sat turned off for a min i re started it and it ran fine. but the trans temp stayed up around 200.

Anyone have any isdea or help?
  • vanhorn_svanhorn_s Member Posts: 2
    chevy did redesign those hoses, and they still leak. there is a really great fix available at http://www.redsautorehab.com
  • jonmic1jonmic1 Member Posts: 2
    My problem is with my 2001 Silverado. I've had it for about 6 months and recentley it has been hard to shift (auto) from 1st to 2nd. Not all the time just somtimes. Also while driving my power seat starts moving, until I hit the control. And lastly sometimes i get in the truck and I notice the time on my dashboard has changed, but not the presets. Otherwise it has been a great truck. It was previously used as a 5th wheel. Any thoughts would be appreciated
  • curtdog21curtdog21 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I parked my truck for 2 weeks and come back home. When i started it up and put the trans in overdrive it don't want to shift right. It takes it awhile to shift from first to second and takes awhile to pickup speed. When u let off the gas it shifts fine, but if u get on it, with the pedal mashed down it wont shift right. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Thanks
  • chomp1974chomp1974 Member Posts: 7
    I need to install a trans cooler for towing approx 4000lb trailer for now, anybody have some pics on the install???
    Forgot to mention 2001 Silverado 1500 4.8L
  • snowprincesssnowprincess Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone I have a 2000 GMC sierra 1500 5.3 lt that backfires and misses while going down the road at low RPMs when it is high Rpms it cleans out or runs better changed maf sensor and didn't seem to help runs better with it unplugged has anyone else had this problem? I have thought of everything and can't seem to figure out what it might be. Thanks!
  • marcm2030marcm2030 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 1500 sierra 5.3 3.73 gears, with a cat back exhaust, throttle boby spacer, and a cold air intake system. I' m thinking of adding a programmer for more power when towing. I tow a 31 foot travel trailer weighing about 7500 lbs loaded. I'm looking for input for the best programmer, for the most power. Thanks, Marc
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
  • mike480mike480 Member Posts: 2
  • mike480mike480 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Chevy 2500 4wd, that locked up today, but not in reverse. I backed out of my driveway and when I shifted into drive, it would not move. You could tell it was the front diferential that was stopping it from moving. I tried several times going into reverse and forward and it would not budge. I assumed it was screwed. I called a tow truck and we had they had to drag it onto the bed, with some type of sliders they put under the front tires. About 3/4 of the way up the truck, a loud bang happened and one of the front tires started to turn. Ok, got to the shop and unloaded it, Checked to see if it would move forward, and it then worked fine. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    mIke
    Which trans cooler is that? Factory? Aftermarket? Checker's special?
    I am looking for a good quality trans cooler, trans shop said an LPD style that is good for the winter--any suggestions???? There are so many to pic from on EBay. Would I be best to get an OEM trans cooler from the dealer that includes the lines etc. What part number would I get??? The OEM style I saw on EBay looks like you just hook up directly to the trans and then to the cooler--does this mean you are to plug of the ports at the RAD and just use the Trans Cooler only as a means of cooling?? I have a 2001 Silverado 1500 4x4 4.8L--does not have the towing package--it's a base model.
    This is the info I saw on EBay:

2000-2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 Transmission Cooler
    Genuine GM Part Number: 12497071

Recommended for trailer towing upgrade w/ 4.3L (LU3, L35), 4.8L (LRV), 5.3L (L59) and 5.7L (LM7) engines. Helps prevent transmission overheating.
    I ran that part no. at gmpartsdirect.com. The small radiator is installed in front of the factory radiator. It plugs into the return line from the radiator. It's a simple install once you see the directions that come with that unit. BTW, I'd order it using that part no. as it is OEM and should plug and play with no problems.
    If you notice when you look at the lines that come with it, they look pretty long as if they are meant to go to the Trans itself???
    edited April 2010
    The lines aren't that long. If it's to scale with the trans cooler the lines won't be more than a couple of feet as they connect near the radiator to the "out" line from the radiator that returns the fluid back to the trans. The hardest part of the install will be to strap the cooler to the front side of the truck in front of the radiator. Shouldn't take more than 45 minutes to install.
    Am I correct in assuming that the top line on the Rad is the return line to the Transmission??? You sure are alot of help----THANKS
    Not sure. I'll have to look it up in the shop manual and post. Actually it's been awhile and can't remember. ;)
  • gmgwmc3gmgwmc3 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 93 Chevy Silverado . My transmission works okay in drive, overdrive and reverse. It will not move in the gears one and two. The transmission shifts good up thru drive, Could anyone help me with this problem. Sure would appreciate it. Thank you GMGWMC3
  • stuckinorlandostuckinorlando Member Posts: 3
    I had a similar problem. I ended up replacing the transmission control module. These were the other things I had going on:
    One day it was very sluggish in drive and when I got to destination there was no reverse. Started up 3 hours later and no problem
    Two months later started it up no gears would engage. Went away for a long weekend started up went in gear, no problem.
    Before the gears problems, my dash gear indicator went out and I had to count gears to get into drive.
    Bought the truck used 3 years ago and the Trans temp gauge had never worked.
    Once the TCM was replace no gear problems, gear shift indicator came back and now the Trans temp gauge works.

The first shop thought it was the main computer, hard time getting a read. Referred me to another shop and inside 20 min they found the problem with the TCM.

Happy with fix, very expensive though.
  • wol4rinewol4rine Member Posts: 1
    I just got my 07 z71 back today. The transmission had to be replaced. A bearing went out and came apart. 77000 miles!!
    :confuse:
  • harley883harley883 Member Posts: 4
    Thats what the dealer called it. I have a 2004 Silverado 5.3 Liter Z714x4 with 85,000. The transmission started slipping when driving home from work and wouldn't shift to 3rd or overdrive. I took it to two of the best transmission garages locally and they gave the same diagnosis.

The transmission has failed because the casting of the transmission housing prevents proper lubrication to the 3rd and 4th gears. Depending on how the truck is used may depend on when they finally crap out.

I called GM and they said that I needed to take it to a GM dealership to have it diagnosised before they could do anything. Well they told me it was catastrophic failure and they could fix it for 2200.00 but can't guarantee that it won't happen again.

If they replace it with a new tranny for 3300.00 they can warrant that it won't happen. DAH !!!!!! must be a problem with that tranny like both shops said. I have found numerous people on the net with the same issue.

I have been a devout Chevy man for 33 years and my trucks aren't used for plowing or towing. I see that some people have had this tranny replaced 2,3,4 and 5 times??????????
  • paulwall159paulwall159 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 sierra 1500 with the new 6-speed auto tranny. I cant find anyone else having issues with the tranny. My truck just hit 10,000 miles. Truck shifts hard from 1 to 2 and sometimes from 2 to 3. Almost feels like a shift kit in a hot rod! Also has a long delay when engaging into reverse. Have taken to the dealership 2 times and they cant duplicate it. Although, the technician did ride with me and the truck shifted hard. Yet when i left, they couldn't duplicate it with the computer hooked up. Has done it since i bought it new but thought it was cause the truck was cold since i bought it in the winter. Warmer weather now and has not changed. The dealership said they couldn't do anything about it because they couldn't duplicate it and obviously the problem wasn't major "YET".

Also, when braking to a complete stop, it almost feels as if the truck is in tow mode. Tranny seems to downshift slowly and i have to apply brakes harder due to it trying to continue to go. Now the brakes are squeaking.

So needless to say, I have bought a $33,000 truck that didn't come with a much needed neck brace or a supply of brake pads. Very disappointed.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me at socialmedia@gm.com for more information? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • ahinsonahinson Member Posts: 17
    have 83 truck w/overdrive.put new filter and trans fluid in truck.shifted fine for about a week and now will not shift out of first.help please.could it be the front pump.
  • 2doorpost2doorpost Member Posts: 74
    Drove this morning to the store- truck sounded like there were a bunch of marbles rolling around when the trans was engaged to drive , reverse...etc. Stopped making noise in neutral and park.

What the heck could be making the noise?
    It's me again, just wanted to update everyone with my dealing at GM over this problem. Well last Thursday a District Manager called me back and said that GM wants me to pay my local dealer 400.00 to do a through diagnosis on my truck.

I know she hasn't met me so I must sound stupid on the phone. If I do that GM still can't guarantee that they will pay for anything at all. I told her that they don't need me to do that since I've already had two transmissions shops and their dealership tell me the same thing by just driving it.

They want 2200.00 to rebuild without a guarantee that it won't happen again so why would I want to pay them another 400.00 of my hard earned bucks? I just laughed and said " you are kidding me right". She then told me that she had to talk to another District Manager and call me Friday.

She did call while I was on my bike going home from work and when I got home and called she was gone for the weekend of course. Tomorrow will be two weeks without the truck and I need to do something soon. I will call her this morning and if I get the same answer I will pull my truck from the dealership after paying 76.00 for a diagnosis that took 2 minutes.

I am probably going to buy a used tranny locally and then trade it in because these trannys seem to like timebombs that can blow at any time. I have been set against buying anything other than GM but it may be time to break out of that mold.
    Hello 2doorpost,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me at socialmedia@gm.com so I can look into your situation further? Thank you,
  • kaptain1eyekaptain1eye Member Posts: 1
    New to forum,seems preety good.Driving to work and at 3rd stop light tranny wouldn't shift on its own.It will however if manually shifted(for up shift)and will still down shift on its own.No weird noises,clunking or anything like that.Any and all advice would be awesome!!!
  • namesrusnamesrus Member Posts: 1
    Have 2009 silverado, 5.3 with six speed and same second to third HARD shift. Slams, bangs clunks whatever ....hard enough to scare the wife and make stuff jump in the bed of the truck. Dealer says same stuff, can't duplicate issue. PLEASE...let me know if you learn anything....is the GM guy that asked you to contact him for real?
    Hello Namesrus,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Is the hard shift intermittent or happens all the time? Can you please email me with more information about your situation so I can look into it further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • lamudducklamudduck Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 gmc z71 sierra 1500 with 236000 miles and a 4L60E trans the truck shifts trough 1st 2nd and 3rd just fine but wont go any higher. is this a big expensive fix or something simple ,and i have a friend that has a 4L60E transmission for a two wheel drive truck will it work on my 4x4
    I Harley again, just wanted to give yuo the final outcome of my dealings with GM. No good, they first offered to give me 20% off of a NEW tranny that cost 3300.00 dollars. No, mention of giving me a discount on a rebuild " I wonder why???".

I told them no thanks, that isn't much of a deal for a lifetime Chevy owner. Then they called the next day and offered to give me a certificate for 500-1000 dollars off of a new truck. WOW!!! I could get that much off on my own. Have you noticed that they do respond to problems on this site with trucks that are 2008 and newer?

Well I have been without the truck for two weeks now so I had to do something so I purchased a completely rebuilt tranny. I was told that it has all of the GM problems taken care of by replacing them with upgraded parts that should have been put in it to begin with.

The cost is 1000.00 plus 259.00 shipping both ways to return my original one. I don't know yet what I will do once it's repaired. I may trade it on a new Toyota although I have a problem with driving non GM products.

I have a number of friends and coworkers that own them and seem to be very happy with the trucks performance and reliability.
  • 2doorpost2doorpost Member Posts: 74
    Finally got another damp day- and I've nailed the problem down to the alternator- probably the bearings.

Truck has 38k miles- I'll be heading off to a dealer with my info.

Thanks for your support

Jim
  • kaykay387kaykay387 Member Posts: 2
    Read with interest the transmission problems. We have just put in our second transmission in our 2002 Silverado!! The first one was about 50,000 miles... We contacted GM then as we have been loyal GM patrons for over 45 years. They were “kind” enough to pay for part of the first transmission since it was "past" the warranty. We do not drive hard, only pull a small stock trailer 3 or 4 times a year with at the most 4 cows. The transmission we put in was a new one put in by a reputable company that only does transmissions. Last week it went out again! In all the vehicles we have owned (all with well over 150K-200K miles), we have never had to replace one before. We even have our 1980 Silverado running...thank goodness.
    We are trying to research the problem and we are working with the transmission company. They are testing it every 100 or so miles to see what is happening. I read one post that said it could be in the computer system.
    Can't trust any car company any more.
    You're welcome Jim!
    Please keep me informed on how the repairs go. Thank you,