Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Transmission Problems

Comments

• t_westt_west Member Posts: 2
    Help.....I started my truck up today and was heading to the store when I went to turn a corner sharp and heard a noise coming from my front right tire. I noticed I was in Auto 4WD and stop to change the truck back to 2WD. When I did, the truck acted like it was in neutral through all gears and when I attempted to put in in park, it started grinding. I put it back in neutral and placed it back in Auto 4WD. If I select 4WD Hi or Lo, it makes a loud clunking noise and again, has issues going into park. Auto 4WD is the only push button selection I have that runs the truck.....any help would be great. (52500 miles)
  • t_westt_west Member Posts: 2
    Is there a known issue with this vehicles transmission? 2006 VortecMax 6.0L.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello T_west,
    Please email me your VIN number and I can check it for you. You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • jon8648jon8648 Member Posts: 1
    My 1500 silverado LT with 75000 miles on it is jumping into 4H, 4L for no reason at all. It is intermittent and has happened four or five times in the last three months. To put it back into 2W I have to stop it, put it in neutral and hit 2W or put it in D and crawl at three or four MPH and hit 2W and it will go back in. Sometimes I have to try three or four times to get it to go. Sometimes I have to shut it off and start it back up and it will automatically, magically appear in 2W. Any thoughts or has anybody else had this problem? I am going to take it to the dealer but I would like to know a little of what I am talking about when I talk to a tech. It runs fine when the tranny isn't acting up.
  • addiemarie23addiemarie23 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 GMC Sierra that's shifter cable has been stretched and it will no longer go into shift into park. Is there a way to adjust the stretched cable or do I have to replace it?
  • ihategmanymoreihategmanymore Member Posts: 6
    i love how every body else can comment about there problems but i never get any answer from any gm customer service rep to answer me . well i got a question how can 3 dealerships and one twice and as well as a gm tech say your truck is fine. but now the dealership i bought it from says oh it the torque converter that why you truck has shifting problems under 30 mph and why it has a problems with accelerating at a low speed. and all gm trucks have shifting problems so they manager says and then the dealership i took it to twice says yes there has been a raising number of trucks coming in with these same problems .
  • ihategmanymoreihategmanymore Member Posts: 6
    i love how every body else can comment about there problems but i never get any answer from any gm customer service rep to answer me . well i got a question how can 3 dealerships and one twice and as well as a gm tech say your truck is fine. but now the dealership i bought it from says oh it the torque converter that why you truck has shifting problems under 30 mph and why it has a problems with accelerating at a low speed. and all gm trucks have shifting problems so they manager says and then the dealership i took it to twice says yes there has been a raising number of trucks coming in with these same problems . :mad:
  • ahinsonahinson Member Posts: 17
    won't shift out og 1st.400 turbo/o.d. :sick:
  • galbers2010galbers2010 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with my 2007 1500-Classic. It felt like someone hit me in the rear everytime I stopped or it hit hard when shifting from 1-2nd gear. Brought it in at 36k and they greased the the yoke splines. This is just a band-aid to the real problem. I brought it in last week at 76k and they were aware of the problem and have to replace the slip yoke. Sad thing is they are not notifying owners of the problem. You must bring it in if you want it repaired and go through the corrective process. If you are close to the end of your 100k warranty I would suggest getting it in ASAP.

I was given a copy of the document describing the problem.
    Document ID #2350684
    #09-04-17-002 (Bump Feel / Clunk Noise at stop or from launch (Clean/Lubricate propeller shaft Slip Yoke Splines) - (Sep 21, 2009)

Models (2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche / Silverado)
    (2009 Surburban, Tahoe)
    (2007-2009 GMC Sierra)
    (2009 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL)
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Is that for real?

That problem has been around since 1999.
  • galbers2010galbers2010 Member Posts: 2
    Sept 2009
  • sgeorge1sgeorge1 Member Posts: 4
    MY 2001 Sierra with less than 50k miles (duramax diesel) has had shifting problems for the past 5 yrs now, mostly when its cold out (below 50 degrees when it happens) started 3 yrs ago during the cold and got a lot worse quickly..
    start it up, let it warm up, drop it in drive and when it makes the first shift (1-2) it goes into neutral! has happened so many times. or the other situation when driving and making a SLIGHT turn,(usually left) take your foot off the throttle and it drops agian into neutral sometimes it recovers and continues, sometimes not. if it drops out, it sits either waiting for you to recycle the ignition (if you do it either wont respond, or drops into 1st and stays there, or third and stays there) or if you stand on the throttle waiting for it to shift, it goes BANG and back into gear. enough to bark the tires. once i drove it 40 miles at 30mph with the engine pegged just to warm it up! if the temp is hovering between 40 and 50 this happens a lot, if its colder forget it youre not going places. right now the service engine light is on and has been for over a year. 2 NSBU switches no fix, allison dealer wants $1500 just to diagnose the problem which they claim may be electrical in nature. personally i am waiting for this truck to be stolen, or a tree to fall on it , or recall, or Jesus to show up :>) im not paying for this any more! corrosion on the brakes are another issue and all the lines under are sh^t as well as the frame.. 50k for a POS
    GMC! cant sell it or trade it.. stuck..
  • dylanhead09dylanhead09 Member Posts: 1
    i've been having the same problem, i took it to aamco and they said it was my radio which was tied into the trans fuse, rewiring it stopped it for awhile but it started up again what part did you need to fix this annoying problem, please let me know thanks.
  • jwttitze80912jwttitze80912 Member Posts: 4
    i contacted the dealer on this problem and they said there is nothing wrong. I asked if i would start losing gears if it did a fluid and filter. He said,"thats 1000.00 mile oil in there you shouldnt have to touch it yet." On the other side i have a family member that runs a reputable repair shop and he said at this mileage the oil is already dark, and instead of doing f/f, just do a flush. Any help out there?
    I would do a drain and replace the trans filter and refill with new trans fluid. A complete flush may cause more problems.
    Hello Jwttitze80912,
    Unfortunately, I cannot diagnose your vehicle over the internet. Doing a flush won't hurt your system especially if it needs one to be done. Thank you,
  • muddog213muddog213 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2007 Silverado 2500HD (new body style) with 6.0L gas. I put an Edge reprogrammer on it to monitor vitals as I tow a 5th wheel trailer regularly. While the engine coolant and trans fluid seem to run in normal ranges, I will often get an engine oil temp warning when I'm chugging up even mild hills, and even on mild days in California. Does anyone have any advice on adding an aux engine oil cooler? Or any pix of what the oil filter adapter and cooling core positioning should look like? I have found a nice unit made by Hayden but am a little unsure about the install. Thanks!
  • carolinadebcarolinadeb Member Posts: 3
  • baronjubaronju Member Posts: 1
    Im leaking really bad between the transfer case and transmission..... Just wondering what it should cost to get the seal replaced, IF thats what it is?
  • ekomekom Member Posts: 1
    Three weeks ago, we purchased a new 2010 Chevy Silverado 1500--4x4. It has 1500 miles on it. We had the windows tinted today (approx. 60 miles from home), and the gear shift won't budge! Of course, it is under warranty, but I am wondering if this is a common problem. A co-worker of mine had a brand new Chevy Avalanche, and the transmission went out at 8000 miles.
  • bumperdudebumperdude Member Posts: 19
    it is tough to say. mine went out at 7,000. and i have heard of a couple of others. but mine is the new body 2007 and a lot of trannys have been made in that time. It has 56K on it now. I pull a boat(22 ft), 4-wheeler trailer(4 4-wheelers) and have used it to pull a loaded car dolly several times. it is strong as an ox. keep-it. -- chuck
  • soccermanjbcsoccermanjbc Member Posts: 1
    i just had my 4l60e trany rebuilt and i put bout 500 miles on it and now its leaking pushing trany fluid out the overflow hose i took the pan off to see if the filter had come out and i didnt i duno what it could be does antbody have n e ideas
  • jbh40jbh40 Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I Had The Same Problem With My 1994 Chevy 4L60E And It Was The Brake Switch Not Letting The Lockup Converter Work Causing It To Over Heat On Longer Trips.It Will Run Hotter Than Normal. So Check To See If Your Lockup Is Working, If Not Then Replace The Brake Switch On Your Brake Pedal. If It Is Bad It Will Sometimes Not Let Your Cruise Work Neither. "Hope This Helps"
  • 04blackie04blackie Member Posts: 1
    my transmission is not shifting 3 or 4 gear.....just started happening did a filter & flush about a year ago &it ran fine. But just like that it happened. any ideas what it may be,
  • rosswwrossww Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the middle of changing the tranny filter. The filter's seal is still in the housing and I need to get it out. I don't want to destroy the housing. The new filter's seal does not detach from the filter. I've seen a video on YouTube where he says to use a hammer and screwdriver to mangle it up a bit then you can get pliers around it and pull it out. Is this correct or is there a better way? (using a hooked tool doesn't work)
    Also, I snapped the head off a seized bolt on the pan (holds the shift linkage cable bracket in place -1 of 2 bolts. What's best? Heat? liquid wrench (could contaminate tranny fluid)? easy out tool (bolt is already seized, will it work?)? -any suggestions?
    Please reply soon as the truck's in the driveway, the job is ready to go back together, and it's about to rain!
  • bletkemanbletkeman Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me if it is possible or feasible to put an Allison tranny on my 02 2500hd with 6.0 liter gas engine, I pull a 9000 lb travel travel trailer and want a stronger transmission
  • kmud1kmud1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8. With 148,000 miles on it. I have a rebuild trans in it. About a month ago I it started delaying going in Reverse. I fine it does it when it been running for a long time and in drive for a while. When I go to put it in R it light up on the dash that its in R and my back up lights are on. If I take my foot of the brake to give it gas to go back wards it will start rolling forward. If I gi ve it a little bit of gas it will make a lond clunk from underneath the truck and then it will go back wards. Its been to my trans place and they did fine a leak and fixed it. But its still doing and its starting to bother me as I use this truck to pull a horse trailer. And when it does it, It screws every thing up. I love my Chevy But wish I can afford a new one with more torque and diesel.
  • gdavis9355gdavis9355 Member Posts: 2
    i have read all the posts my problems are a little different. i have no reverse or 2nd gear, truck runs great on highway @ 75 mph @ 3000 rpm. shifting from 1st i have to get truck up to 35 mph before it shifts into what i think is 3rd gear. does anyone else have this problem or heard of this?
    A Burned Out Overdrive Band Normally Causes You To Have No Reverse Or Second Gear. Also The Servo That Pushes The Band May Have Something Wrong With It. " HOPE THIS HELPS"
  • gdavis9355gdavis9355 Member Posts: 2
    thanks, jbh40. i am not much of a tranny guy so i have a couple of more questions. i presume that either one of them means i need a new tranny. so with that said do you happen to know which tranny i have in my truck the 4l60e or the 4l80e? if i have the 4l60e is it possible to put the 4l80e in as a replacement? i have heard it is a little beefier tranny. again thanks for the info it really did help.
    You have the 4L-60E. I'd check around and see if you can fit a 6L-60E before looking at a 4L-80E. Just my opinion.
  • dirtyundrwrdirtyundrwr Member Posts: 2
    hi, if you thought the trans fluid was oil that indicates to me that it is burnt, when a clutch pack burns out it will cook the oil. 35 mph is the usual shift point for 2nd to 3rd at mid throttle, what you can try is to push it to 40 to 45 mph at heavy throttle then let all the way off and see if it shifts into 4th gear that will let you know if you have a pack burnt out. as for being 1 qt low that should not affect the operation there is a built in cushion, even so it is still a good idea to keep the fluid levels in their operating ranges as indicated on the dip sticks. the year and engine displacement would help even further.
    dirty
    The 4L60-E is what you have. The 4L80-E will not fit your transfer case,Bolt pattern is different and the 4L80-E has a larger output shaft. It would be easier to build your 4L60-E with heavier upgraded parts to make it beefier. "Good Luck"
  • amanolikesamanolikes Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 Z71 4wd with 28000 mi tries to shift from 5 to OD at 1200 to 1400 or so but cant seem to make up its mind and goes back and forth from 5 to 6.. Problem started at 26000mi The result is a chug at that rpm range and 40mph. It happens at light throttle. with a load it doesnt do this. Drivability is not a particular problem just annoying. I have had the transmission taken down and checked. no problems found. The conclusion is that the software says shift to 6 to save gas and for better mileage.? Maybe related to 10% ethanol gas? No software change is available says dealer.
  • lstriplstrip Member Posts: 42
    i have the same issue with my 2010 sierra 2wd. took 1 truck back because of this.
    now with 4800 miles this one is doing it.
    dealer says there is no problem. BS! unfortunately it is intermittent and hard to diagnose but, it definitely is not right. anybody heard of any solutions to this issue?
  • rosswwrossww Member Posts: 2
    I've got a 6.5 turbo diesel, type "s"; Ext cab; 2wD.

Got in one morning and no reverse.

Fluid was burnt.

Changed fluid and seal -still no reverse -nothing at all!

All other gears work perfectly.

I'm told the reverse band is fried, I'm hoping someone gives me a much cheaper solution.

If it is dead and I need to get a used one, I'm told by the local dealership that ONLY trannys from this list (no exceptions) will fit in my truck:
    -2WD
    -Chev/GMC
    -1500/2500
    -Ext. Cab
    -6.5 Diesel (maybe a different sized diesel, I'm not certain on that)

From what I understand, it can't come from a suburban, van, or anything other than from above list.

Can someone confirm this for me?

Also, I know this is wishful thinking, is there anything in the steering wheel/column that electronically controls reverse. There's something loose, sounds like it's coming from the steering wheel itself, that's rolling around and klunking everytime I turn the wheel.
  • angellane58angellane58 Member Posts: 2
    i am having the same problem shifting where is the solenoid they replaced located in the trans or what?
    Hello Lstrip,
    What problems are you experiencing with your vehicle? How long has the concerns been present? How often do the problems occur? Thank you,
  • ohiosttbuckeyeohiosttbuckeye Member Posts: 1
    Hi....I began having problems with my automatic transmission in my 1999 GMC Sierra, hitting 25-30 mph and it would not shift....letting the rpm's drop down to under 2 it would sometimes catch...checked the fluid and it was way over...drained it and at first it was fine..that was until I got the engine's temp up..rechecked the fluid level and once again it was way too high. I have read that the radiator has a cooling section for the tranny fluid...so I figure that there is something going on in there....what is the best test method or fix for this problem? Thanks for any suggestions.
  • gmcsierraladygmcsierralady Member Posts: 1
    So my prndl display went out on my 2003 GMC Sierra 2500 and I thought it was a fuse or a light bulb but the more I search I keep finding information that links it to the transmission!?!?! It's been like this a few months and my tranny is fine....is there somewhere I could start with having to pay $125 diagnostic charge?
  • 99z7199z71 Member Posts: 1
    My truck has over 180000 miles on it now and recently after driving for a while the transmission shifts real hard from 1 to 2 and to 3. It shifts fine when cool or ran less than 2 hrs. Can anyone tell me what may be going on.
  • haulin1haulin1 Member Posts: 9
    Check out Hypertech's Max Energy Programmer. You can increase mileage and power output for either regular or premium fuel, adjust rev limiters, adjust transmission shift points (RPM) and firmness, correct speedometer when changing tire sizes or axle ratio's and more. Go to truckaddons.com for details.
  • footballmamafootballmama Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2001 Chevy 2500HD that seems to shift hard all the time now. It has 150K miles on it. The check engine light is on.. and sees to always be on. Even when we fix whatever error message comes up. URG! Any ideas as to why it shift so hard? We would love to keep this truck forever but now we are not sure. It has been doing this since spring. It doesn't matter if we are driving on the highway or in town. It doesn't matter if the engine is hot or cold.. same thing. Our tranny sensor does not show the tranny running hot. Its still shows in the normal range. We have already tried the tranny seafoam and that did nothing.
  • gmcproblems2gmcproblems2 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    2007 GMC 1500 Z71,,,I've had the same problems.Currently the main issue I have is when slowing down and then accelerating, I hear a clunk sound. It sounds like a driveshaft universal joint. I also hear the same sound but not so pronounced when driving slow and the trans shifting w/o alot of torque. I,ve contacted the customer service complaint line located in the back of the owners manual. Since they refused to fix the problem, I'll make sure it's documented and I'm even going to notify the BBB as the manual suggests. It took the dealerships 5 tries to correct a defective pass door post panel. I'm not even going to mention the improperly rotated tires which caused cuffing. All they say is the problem is normal for this year and transmission. If the Pres of GM had this problem, they would fix it!
  • ricdricd Member Posts: 1
    Have you found a solution yet, my '01 Sierra just started the same thing.
  • rus8rus8 Member Posts: 1
    my truck has 130000km on it. when the automatic transmission shifts from 2 to 3rd it makes a really weird sound. Not a clunk but a noise almost like a clutches slipping or somthin
  • bmt884bmt884 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Sierra All-Terrain Package Z-71. Last Monday, I began to hear and feel a loud clunking noise when shifting from 2-3, normally from a stop. While this bothered me, I didn't get upset because my truck is still within the bumper to bumper warranty, and obviously also the 5/100k powertrain warranty.

I took it to the GMC dealership. The service advisor, who has always been very helpful, immediately diagnosed the problem as the "slip yoke". He explained to me GM has been having problems with the slip yoke not being properly lubed and they would lube it for free. If the problem was not solved, they would replace the slip yoke.

They had it for one day. They returned my vehicle to me, and as I drove away from the dealership after waiting on traffic, the loud clunk noise appeared in the shift from 2nd to 3rd. I immediately turned around and they had the mechanic ride with me. He said "yes that's a problem, and I don't know what it is, but there is something wrong. Bring it back Monday and we'll get our transmission guy to drive it."

I returned it 2 days ago, and they called me today to pick it up. They told me they couldn't figure it out and contacted Tech Support. Bottom line, they told me GM said it was normal and there is no solution according to the bulletin. Problem is that I bought a $42,000 truck, and I don't want to live with it. And if it is so normal, why hasn't it always done this, and why don't all GMC trucks do it? I asked and received a copy of the bulletin and this is what it said:

Document ID: 2394678
    #01-07-30-042F: Information on 2-3 Upshift or 3-2 Downshift Clunk Noise- (Feb 5, 2010)

Subject: Information on 2-3 Upshift or 3-2 Downshift Clunk Noise

Models: 2010 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks, 2010 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3, 2005-2009 Saab 9-7x with 4L60E, 4L65-E OR 4L70-E Automatic Transmission (RPOs M30, M32, M70)

This bulletin is being revised to ad the 2010 model year and 4L70E transmission. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-07-30-042E (Section 07-Transmission/Transaxle).

Important: For 2005 model year fullsize utilities and pickups, efer to Corporate Bulletin 05-07-30-012.

Some vehicles may exhibit a clunk noise that can be heard on a 2-3 upshift or 3-2 downshift.

During a 2-3 upshift, the 2-4 band is released and the 3-4 clutch is applied. The timing of this shift can cause a momentary torque reversal of the output shaft that results in a clunk noise. This same torque reversal can also occur on a 3-2 downshift when the 3-4 clutch is released and the 2-4 band applied. This condition may be worse on a 4-wheel drive vehicle due to the additional tolerances in the transfer case.

This is a normal condition. No repairs should be attempted.
    ***END***

Why not just fix the problem??? I am very upset and feel cheated because I actually switched back to GMC from a Ford that gave me zero problems.
  • footballmamafootballmama Member Posts: 2
    Good luck! I have a 2001 2500HD that has been having this hard shifting issues since spring. No one has been able to fix it. The last guy put Tranny Seaform in... and that did NOTHING! Our tranny fluid is clear. Is yours? We were told if its not clear then you might have a serious problem.. but who knows if that is true or not (clear meaning w/o chunks in it).
  • 2010pickup532010pickup53 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2010 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 1500 pickup with a 6 speed transmission. The transmission has selections for Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive and (M) M allows you to select from all 6 speeds. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, & 1. You can use Drive only or move the gearshift into (M) that should first go to 6th gear at top so the transmission does not tear itself apart by dropping down into a much lower gear such as Low (1). Well my problem is when I select (M) it first shifts down into Low (1) which could destroy the tranny and who knows what else. Has anyone who owns the 2010 (or other years) GMC Sierra 1500 pickup had this happen?

Help me please. CAH
  • sweed1sweed1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Sierra 4x4 with automatic transmission. On drive home the transmission would go into a free wheel type of activity. When I would hit a certain speed, the RPM's would keep going but the transmission would not keep up. Almost acting like truck is in neutral.
    But when back to around 20 MPH it would catch again. Did it in Drive and 3rd, eventually got down to 2nd gear and was able to limp home.

Any ideas on why the transmission would not keep up with speed and disengage? Is whole transmission shot?