Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Transmission Problems

Comments

• 1998lincoln1998lincoln Member Posts: 108
    Check your "Heat Temp Sensor", this will cause the hesitation going into gear ! I know it sounds crazy, but the "Heat Temp Sensor" tells the computer the engine is still cold and it keeps dumping more fuel , causes hesitation on take off! Just something to check !!!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Sweed1,
    I would definitely recommend taking your vehicle in to be diagnosed. Please keep me updated on your progress.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • kic209kic209 Member Posts: 1
    89 GMC Sierra K2500-
    I was accelerating from a stop sign and suddenly lost drive in all ranges plus no 4wd. When I inspected underneath the truck I noticed that wire harness that holds the switches for the transmisson and and transfer case had somehow come loose and all of the wires got riped by the one of the drivelines. I also had a blown fuse on the 4wd fuse. Long story short, I fixed the wiring, replaced blown fuse and ended up replacing torque converter and put the transmission back in the truck. Now when I start it up (with the rear axle jacked up) the rear axle does not spin unless I rev it up. Now the weird thing is that it spins the same way in drive than it does in reverse. Do I have some wires crossed here or what? Im stumped! Any insight to this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
    Matt
  • matthewwwwmatthewwww Member Posts: 3
    AHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have a 2003 1/2 ton extended cab that sometimes feels like it is slipping out of gear (only for about a 1/2 second at a time) The odd thing is that I noticed that when it happened, the temp gauge would drop to the coolest !!!
    I could not think why the two things would be related, but maybe that is the problem.

Will it get worse if not addressed, and about how much would the dealer charge to fix/replace the "Heat Temp Sensor"??
    THANKS !!!
  • jmennacejmennace Member Posts: 2
    I actually have my 2010 GMC Sierra at the dealership now, although we have different issues with the truck it is also with the transmission and the dealer's mechanic drove it and noticed the problem. They are saying that we have a lazy transmission, the mechanic said that it has a learning transmission, but they are baffled why it does not know why it does not know when to shift.... I kind of feel in the same boat that we bought a 44,000 dollar truck and don't know what the problem is or how they can fix it. We had a 2005 Chevy Hybrid before this and had no problems until the 5 years were up. Then the big problems set in. Since it was electronic in certain areas such as steering we lost sterring going down the road and the truck was running, but we also had shifting issues with that truck as well, this is a first year for this transmission so if you find out anything before we do PLEASE let us know what your issue is, we already asked the dealer to see what the trade in value for this truck will be so that we are not getting another lemon. Good luck with your issue glad to see that we are not the only ones that are dreaming that this is happening,
    jmennace,
    Was the dealer about to fix your concerns? Please e-mail me and keep me updated on your situation. Thank you!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • jlozano1jlozano1 Member Posts: 1
    last year my truck would not accelerate over 45mph, rpm's kept rising but mph would not ,two months ago did it again exact same problem...only did it for a minute or two each time, other than those two times truck has not acted up...........any ideas on what could cause this problem
  • cajun52cajun52 Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys ! New to site need to locate speed sensor to hook up new speedometer cable . can you help me please ? old cable was unplugged before I bought it by previous owner .
  • plaboyplaboy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 chevy 1500 pickup. I had problems with my transmission slipping in second to third gear. So I just changed the Transmission yesterday 11/18/10 with Another Transmission and Guess what, I have the SAME EXACT PROBLEM. Can anyone with knowledge about this problem PLEASE help me?
  • guitarmnguitarmn Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2010
    Hi,

has anyone experienced a whining after shifting from 4x4 to 2x4? This has been happening since I got the truck and no one at the dealer seems to know why. We've taken out other trucks and they don't make the noise. We've had the transaxles apart and no sign of wear. It drives me nuts as it gets worse in the colder weather. If you move the 4x4 shifter back and forth just a little sometimes it will stop. It sounds like the front axles haven't fully disengaged.

Thanks for any help
    You most likely have the classic brake fluid leak from the bottom (at the sensor) of the brake fluid reservoir

The fluid leaks down into the wiring that impacts the CC and other electronics.
  • guitarmnguitarmn Member Posts: 3
    This is a brand new truck, no leaks just one really irritating noise. I've hit a wall with the dealership as they can't find anything wrong. They can hear it, they can go out with me and we can make it happen and then like I said you move the 4x4 shifter just a bit back and forth and it's gone. Till the truck sits and then its back again.
  • peacepointpeacepoint Member Posts: 1
    I too have a 2000 Sierra 4x4 that did exactly the same thing. It seems Sierra problems are the same across the board. I also have the same problem as someone else noted about when the tranny gets heated up, approx. 100 miles, the upshifts hit very hard. I now have 208,000 and something that just started the other day; when I accelerated to pass someone, the rpm's went soaring up, but the truck wouldn't do a thing. I'm suspecting the tranny is shot unless someone tells me otherwise. Thought about upgrading to a newer GMC, but the problem blogs scare me. Maybe I should just keep replacing parts. It's still cheaper than a new truck payment. Be prepared!
    It could be forward clutch piston, also check and make sure you are not leaking brake fluid from the master brake cyl. on to the wiring , if so you will need to repair the brake cyl. and use electrical cleaner to clean off the brake fluid !!!
    guitarmn,
    Can you please e-mail me with your VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and complete contact information including a good number to reach you at? Please also include a summary of your situation including how many times you have been to the dealer. I look forward to hearing from you!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Check to make sure your truck is not leaking brake fluid onto the wiring below your master brake cyl. ! Might be causing problems with the CC !!! Good Luck !
  • mike537mike537 Member Posts: 4
    It's not a rare truck at all, the 5 speed nv4500 was offered in all GM 3/4 and full tons from 04-07(classic). And in all GM full tons from 92-02.

As well as the same transmission being offered in a number of dodge pickups
    Could be a fractured SUNSHELL ,or the splines are sheared off !
    Don't drive or you could do more damage to transmission ! Just something to look at ! GoodLuck
    When you apply the brakes it sounds like the converter unlocks,verify line pressure!
    Torque Converter Control hydraulic circuit could be worn. You might need to replace the Torque Converter !
  • vinnie57vinnie57 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2010 2x4 1500. 6cyl. Have noticed when slowing and the vehicle approaches a shift point it bucks.Also, when vehicle is almost at an upshift point at a slower speed I hear a vibration in the rear half of the vehicle. anyone have those kind of issues?

thanks
  • sadkins55sadkins55 Member Posts: 1
    truck will go fine and then it will just quit and won't go. Seems like it does it more after the truck warms up. You can let it cool and then it will go again. Doesn't do it all the time. Any suggestions?? If it was truly the trany wouldn't it do it all the time??
  • el_hoppyel_hoppy Member Posts: 43
    I bought a new silverado with a V8 and 6 speed transmission last month, Oct, 2010. it has 1K miles on it and its been back to the dealer twice for a low speed hard shift problem. it feels like a worn out U joint but I know that's not it. on my 1st visit they pulled out the drive shaft and greased the yoke, problem still there
    my dealers service manager drove my truck, and he heard and felt the hard shifting then told me they can't fix it and there is nothing he can do for me, he said its just something I've got to live with it.
    wow, I didn't know what to say. I just spent 40K on my dream truck, my first ever NEW car ( I am 45 years old ) and I hate driving it.
    anyone else with a low speed hard shift problem?
  • lstriplstrip Member Posts: 42
    my 2010 sierra 2wd 5.3L 6 speed now has 9000 miles on it.
    i have the same issues. hard shifting and searching for a gear between 40-50.
    i was told this is a "learning" transmission. 9000 miles should be enough to correct this problem.
    service rep rode with me says there is no fix.
    will be taking it back soon to complain about this horrible issue.
    never had a new vehicle transmission/engine perform as poorly as this and according to everything i have read and continue to read this is not an isolated incident. it is time for GM (who received all our tax support) to step up and admit this problem and fix it.
    this just makes me sick.
    I wish I had read up more about these trucks before buying. I looked at a Dodge for less money but the same options, maybe I should have bought it. I don't understand how this can be allowed to continue.
    I just made my first payment, I wonder if I can return it?
    HA!
    this is great, I am trying to write a review for my truck just over to the right of this message and it will not let me.
    I am trying to worn others and I get the run around even here, not just from GM.
    lstrip,
    I understand your frustration and apologize. Please e-mail me with your complete contact information (mailing address, phone, first & last name), VIN and current mileage, and the involved dealer. I would like to address this issue further with you through email. Thank you!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    el_hoppy,
    I understand your frustration and apologize. Please e-mail me with your complete contact information (mailing address, phone, first & last name), VIN and current mileage, and the involved dealer. I would like to address this issue further with you through email. Thank you!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    christina
    what is your email address?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Click on the green "gmcustsvc" lettering in the heading of one of Christina's posts. That will bring up the user profile and you'll see the email link there.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • samburgsamburg Member Posts: 1
    The truck has 126000 miles on it, I bought it new in 2004, never had a problem with the transmission until now. The reverse and all other gears work perfectly, but the truck will not shift into overdrive. I've thought maybe the tow/haul switch is shorted, or a speed sensor is bad. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance, I would sure like to not have to have it rebuilt or replaced.
  • theburbs7theburbs7 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new 2009 Sierra 1500 4x2 with the 4.8L engine and have experienced what seems like the transmission slipping from takeoff and some occasional very hard shifting when accelerating at faster speeds. The problem has occurred since it was new and I now have 7000 miles on it. I have read about similar problems other owners are having and would be interested in hearing what GM has to say about it.
    GM dealer told me they will not fix my truck.
    2011 with 2K miles and the transmission shifts hard and makes noise.
  • mediocratesmediocrates Member Posts: 1
    Having same problem with my 2010 at 8.3K miles. Took it to the dealer Thursday. They dropped the pan Friday and, to quote the service mgr., "a bunch of parts fell out.". I'm now awaiting the decision from GM whether they will replace or rebuild. Meanwhile I'm driving a loaner for Christmas! I hope they clear this up because, other than this problem, I really LOVE this truck. But if this doesn't get fixed to my satisfaction it's gonna really suck to get into a drawn out fight. I'll keep this forum posted with the results.
  • larrykochlarrykoch Member Posts: 7
    Yes on the bucking. Here is what I have figured out. It seems the throttle does not close timely when you let off the gas thus there is power being applied to the drive train by the engine so when you put on your brakes you feel the transmission downshifting. Mine will sometime actually seem to lurch. Scary if you are on ice.

I plugged my laptop into the diagnostic port and monitored the TPS (throttle position sensor) and the RPM. I increase the engine to 2000 RPM them quickly removed my foot from the gas peddle. When I removed my foot from the gas peddle it took almost 8 seconds for the TPS to go down to idle position. I tried the same test on a 2002 Cadillac and a 2007 GMC Envoy. Their TPS went to idle immediately upon removing my foot from the gas peddle.

My 2010 Silverado is currently at the Chevy dealer to get this taken care of.
    edited December 2010
    I have a 2010 Silverado that often jerks (or bucks) when stopping. I have discovered that the engine does not throttle down immediately when my foot moves from the accelerator to the brake. I put a diagnostic analyzer on it and found that if I bring the engine up to 2000 RPM and remove my foot from the accelerator, it take 2 seconds before the TSP (throttle position sensor) moves at all and another 5 seconds before it decreases to idle.

This explains why sometimes when making a quick stop it is jerky. It's like trying to stop with your foot on the accelerator. This may also explain the poor gas mileage I am getting compared to my '05 Silverado.

What I need to know is if this is unique to my truck or do all 2010's have the same problem. I took it to my local dealer and, as expected, they reported that everything was within specs.

Thanks
    larrykoch,
    If you are unhappy with the diagnosis at your dealer I would definitely recommend taking your vehicle to another dealer for a second opinion. I would ask them if the delay is normal and if this has to do with your fuel economy. I hope this helps. Keep me posted!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    theburbs7,
    Can you please email me with your contact information including mailing address and a good number to reach you, VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and Edmunds user name? I would like to look into this for you. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • loqqolloqqol Member Posts: 4
    I have the same problem with my 09 Silverado. As you know and seen, there are many others on this and other forums that have the same problem. I hate to disappoint you but GM/Chevrolet will not fix this problem because as they say (and I quote) "It is operating as designed." The "chuggle" as they call it has to do with the O2 sensor. I know that they will tell you that A: It will go away (which it won't) and B: They won't do a recall. They say that the transmission can handle the bucking but you and I know that the truck jumping around is damaging let alone dangerous. I've taken my truck to Bob Steele Chevrolet so many times that I feel I should be on the payroll. So, Forget about the bucking, they won't fix it and just suck it up knowing you lost thousands of dollars in a Chevrolet product because they won't fix what is warrented. Google 2009 Chevrolet Transmission problems and see all the other buyers who bought a failure of a truck.t short of deploying the airbags

Christina. I may have already talked to you when I had the BBB complaint filed and I had a daily conversation with the GM lawyers and engineers about this widespread problem.
  • da2448da2448 Member Posts: 1
  • jrw1985jrw1985 Member Posts: 1
    After I go 7000 miles over my warranty I start having transmission trouble. I only have (R) and 3rd gear. The code says it is low fluid pressure in circuit D. Does anyone know what may be the problem?

Thanks
    I'm working with local Chevy dealer to solve the jerk in the transmission when pulling up to a stop sign. The problem seems to be that the firmware is not letting the engine idle down fast enough when letting up on the accelerator. It is as though you are stopping with the engine idling around 1200 rpm. We collected data showing the position of the TPS using software from www.obdcom.com. It collects and logs the position of the TPS (and other stuff) every half second.

We learned that it takes 8 seconds from the time you release the accelerator until the time the TPS gets to idle position. What's more alarming is at the 20% point it holds for about 2 seconds before going lower. This is about 1100 rpm. (For reference, 23.5% = 2000 rpm, 16.9% = 600 rpm, idle.) If you try to stop the truck within 5-6 seconds from the time you release the accelerator, you will likely feel the transmission jerk as it downshift.

This situation is particularly exciting (actually dangerous) if you are driving when the road is slick. When you release the accelerator you expect the engine to go to idle immediately to remove power from the drive wheels. When that doesn't happen, you are quickly out of control.

Here's the real kicker. When I went to my Chevy dealer this morning (3rd trip) I got a different customer rep. He was VERY interested in my graph. It turns out he just purchased a 2011 Silverado and has noticed the same problem, but didn't know what was causing it. He took my log information and is going to work on a solution.

If anyone would like a copy of my log, e-mail me at larrykoch@hotmail.com
    loqqol ,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Since you are already working with the BBB and GM lawyers, you will need to continue in your course of action.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • loqqolloqqol Member Posts: 4
  • casonnecasonne Member Posts: 1
    I just lost overdrive in my truck. All of the other gears seem solid, just won't shift into overdrive. It has approx. 130,000 miles, all highway. Any ideas? Really hope this doesn't mean a new trans. Other than this, the truck has been awesome.
  • jade0212jade0212 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    :sick: i have a 2009 sierra 1500 sle2 4.8L with 54000 miles and yesterday i was traveling home and the engine stalled with the information display flashing ; engine power reduced, service stabilitrak, traction control off, service engine. i needed to get home so i disconnected the battery terminal and re connected it and everything cleared, only to get about 20 miles down the road happening again only this time it didn't stall. i disconnected and re connected the battery to continue home and it never happened again. i brought it to my dealer and they could not find anything, they kept it all day and i got it back and now im almost afraid to use the truck because i dont want to get stranded in it. Any help or suggestions ??????
    took my truck back to the dealer, AGAIN, and AGAIN they told me they will not fix the problem.
    the service tech road with me and he said he heard and felt the hard shifting but he said its something I have to live with. " they all do that" were his words. then I was told I should take my truck to another dealer for any future service. WOW!
    my tax dollars helped bail out GM and this is the thanks?
    2K miles on my 2011 truck and I HATE THIS THING!
    this has obviously become the standard answer by gm for this known transmission issue.
    i have followed this forum and researched other sites to confirm that our issue is not isolated. gm knows this is a problem but, they obviously do no intend or know how to fix our vehicles. i have been told by gm customer service that my 2010 sierra six speed transmission is operating as it is designed. that is bunk. i asked for an address for the gm vp of customer relations but, they will not give it out.
    they say there is nothing else they will do.
    i also get the "go to another gmc dealer" answer.
    this would be a nice truck if my transmission shifted correctly.
    ford six speeds DO NOT jerk and search for a gear. neither should gm.
    gm needs to be proactive and address this issue while they still have an opportunity not to alienate past, present and future customers.
    does anyone have an address to any position above the normal customer service?
    i see that customer service does monitor these forums but, it is apparent that we are all getting the same response.
  • donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    Have you went back to your dealer and asked to drive a similar pickup? You should be able to prove that they don't "all do that". My 2009 with the 6 speed couldn't shift any smoother.
    no, didn't think of that.

but here is a thought, the service rep told me the transmission is operating at normal factory spec.s, hard shift and all.

this tells me hard, loud shifting is a characteristic GM has purposely built INTO 6 speed transmissions?

I should have bought the Dodge.
  • jmennacejmennace Member Posts: 2
    Wow, I knew we were not the only one's having an issue! We were having the same hard shift issues and tried to get GM to listen to our complaints. This was happening right after we bought our truck. We were told it was a learning transmission and that it will stop after it learned whatever that is supposed to mean. We drove the truck to where it had 15,000 miles and it still had the hard shift. Just spoke with someone about the truck and now we are fuming cause they don't seem to care about the issue. But it is too late anyways cause we traded the truck for a Toyota and have not had any of these issues any more! Too bad for GM cause we are gonna tell everyone about their service that the provide, which is barely minimal at that. We did have a situation on the ice and told them that this is a safety issue. I am happy with the Toyota and we lost a lot of money getting out of a bad truck but we feel safer! I hope that you can resolve your issues with them unlike us. I felt like we were becoming a huge burden to GM esp when you pull up and everyone has a frown on their face and they come to the window to see who it is and you know that they are not happy to see you again! Makes you feel like they just don't care! I feel your frustration and hope that things work out for you!