Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Transmission Problems

Comments

• KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Just to define what a "learning transmission" means... the computer (when new or after a reset) will monitor your speed and throttle position for a period of time and will optimize shift points to give you the best performance and economy. For example, if your daily routine involves getting quickly to a highway and running at highway speed for 40 miles to work (and the same going home), the transmission will be set to upshift more quickly to facilitate that type of driving.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • el_hoppyel_hoppy Member Posts: 43
    I am very sorry for you but, I am glad you have a good truck now.

I looked hard at Ford GM and Dodge, I decided on the Chevy even though it was a lot more then the Dodge. I thought I had made the right choice but GM's lousy customer service makes me regret buying the Chevy.
    I too was told its a "learning transmission" I believe now that its just a term the service tech uses to make us go away and I am sure GM is telling them to blow us off.
    I am telling everyone I know and I am going to every web site I can find with forums like this one, voicing my pitiful experience with GM customer service.

AGAIN, my truck is a 2011 Chevy Silverado I bought Nov 2010 it has less then 2K miles AND I bought the extended warranty, all I am asking for is that GM fix my transmission.
    thats it! thats all.
    is it unreasonable to ask that a new GM vehicle perform as well as GM advertised it should?
  • bardolbardol Member Posts: 2
    I am having that same problem, did you find an answer?
  • bardolbardol Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado and I only get 3rd and reverse and the service engine light came on, does anyone have any ideas?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Your transmission and service engine light are seperate issues. The trans issue should be taken to a shop unless of course you can R&R the trans. The service engine light is emissions related. Best to go to a parts store and have them pull the code.
    nope....
  • don1972don1972 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    Had my 2007 Silverado crew cab for about 2 years now and had to have the yoke greased about every 10000 miles to get rid the bang when it's dry from stopping.

My issue however is this trany when its cold seems like its slipping and when you turn quickly and get back into the gas its like its in neutral then it catches and bangs. I'm worried about it blowing the trany. I've had it to Lou Sobb in Duluth, GA where I've bought it originally and they say there's nothing wrong with it.

However I've been a mechanic for years and you can't [non-permissible content removed] me. I want to know if there's a service recall or something to correct this before my power train warranty is over. I suspect once it's over all of a sudden GM will stick it to me. I'm not happy about this vehicle and hate to take it on any long trips as I'm disabled and it might leave me stranded.

Vehicle has 54k on it is 2WD LTZ 5.3l V8
  • loqqolloqqol Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2011
    I have the same problem slowing down past 40 mph when the transmission jerks ( and I mean pre-airbag deployment mode) due to what GM calls a (and I qoute) a "chuggle". They will tell you that it is an O2 sensor reading incorrectly for a short time causing the fuel flow to intermittently stop which makes the 6580 lbs shake like a b*tch. They flushed my transmission, reset my transmission codes to "Learn" my driving habits, but to no avail, they will not fix it because their excuse is..............Ok,..........get ready...................I hope your sitting down.......................that the truck is operating as designed. Their sorry lame excuse is that they designed it to do that. They updated the software in the 2010 models' computer to fix it. But since the GM 2009 Silverado owners fall short of a recall, you are stuck with it. Even when I asked if I could trade it in, they said No Way! Do you blame them. I wouldn't take back a piece of sh*t either. So, the moral of this story is don't ever buy a GM product. Any other company would support their customer, not GM. In the mean time, I'll put one hand on the wheel and the other in the air to see if I can ride this baby for 8 more seconds. And if I get killed in this truck for this inherited unsafe condition, I'll someday see you on the other side. :lemon:
  • lstriplstrip Member Posts: 42
    loggol
    you are getting the standard response to this issue. i went through "customer service" rep on this board to find out that "our engineers say it is operating as designed". as you know, either they designed a flawed transmission and won't admit it or they just don't care.
    i don't understand GM.
    if you have read this forum, you know this is not an isolated incident yet we all receive the same answer. "there is nothing we can do."
    you stated this was fixed on the 2010 model. that is not true. i purchased my first truck that had this issue in april 2010 . i took it back to the dealer because of this. the truck i have now did not have problems initially, but now does the same thing. i have had it to the dealer twice and get the same response each time. i have been told by customer service to try another dealer. i guess that is my next step. i have driven ford six speeds that operate/shift perfectly. you would think gm could do the same.
  • 09denaliowner09denaliowner Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 Sierra Denali with a 6L engine. I experience exactly the same problem last Friday Jan 28th. Service Stabilitrac, Traction control disabled, Engine Power reduced. The check engine light and the stabilitrac light came on on the dash and I could not exceed 40 mph. I had the vehicle towed to a dealership, when we arrived it started normally and only the engine light came on. The tech said they found a code P0235 "throttle position" but went thought the trouble shoot procedure and everything checked out. The dealer kept my truck for 2 day's and weren't able to reproduce the issue. GMC customer service says there is nothing they can do until it happens again. I'll start carrying some tools to disconnect and reconnect the battery based upon your experience this cleared the issue. I'd like to know if other people are experiencing this?
  • 09denaliowner09denaliowner Member Posts: 2
    I already posted a reply to you but I wanted to see if there were any other similarities to our experience. I my case it was it was about 5 degrees F outside. I was travelling on a straight flat highway at 55mph with the cruise control engaged. The road conditions were slippery but I had not lost traction in any way. I did not touch anything when the incident occured but did hear a bang or a thump when everything started happening. Did you have any similar circumstances?
    I am also getting the "our engineers say it is operating as designed" story. customer service told me "if it does not show up in the diagnosis, then there is nothing wrong" yet the jerking in my transmission remains.
    I told customer service that my dealer scratched my truck the first time I took my truck in for this problem and I asked if the scratch shows up in their diagnosis. I guess not because the dealer is not going to fix the scratch either.

I hope all our tales of owe reach potential GM truck buyers before GM sells one more truck.

if you are reading this and have not made a decision on your next truck purchase, please consider another manufacturer.

AGAIN, I own a 2011 Silverado with a 5.3 motor and 6 speed trans with less then 3K miles on it and the transmission has been a problem almost since day one.
  • mn_skinnermn_skinner Member Posts: 1
    GM, I have two 2010 chev 2500HD 6 speed auto/manual work trucks each with less than 3200 miles on them. Both are used for snow plowing. One of the trucks continues to throw the check engine light on and when this happens I lose my indicator light on the column PRDM1. I am able to accelerate in reverse as normal. When I try to take off in D M or 1 I can feel the tranny is stuck in 3rd (or higher) gear. I at that point must turn the ignition off and restart the vehicle until the indicator light on the column shows which gear the shift lever is in. It is not uncommon to have to restart this vehicle 20 times in a row before the computer resets and the tranny shifts as normal again. I have had the truck to 3 dealerships now and they are telling me that the code indicates the vehicle is being shifted while the vehicle is still moving and or the rpm's are too high when the initial shift is made. If this were the case why wouldn't both of these trucks be throwing codes at me and the shifting issue be happening in both vehicles? The tranny does not get hot ever while plowing. The vehicle is not being shifted improper. I have personally plowed snow for 25yrs and have driven both trucks this season. My father has been plowing for almost 50 yrs and has also driven both trucks this season. Neither of us have had this issue occur outside of the vehicle that is currently giving us problems. I know as well as you do that the issue is not being caused by driver error. Do you have a fix available that will solve this issue I am experiencing? If not, do you have another place I can turn within GM that will fix this problem properly? Resetting or erasing the code is doing nothing other than causing me down time and irritation. I appreciate your help in this matter.
  • dozey_doodozey_doo Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like we have the same trouble. Bought a used 09 silverado with the 4.8L v-8 and 4 spd tranny. Drove fine the first month or so, then started to act up. doesn't down shift properly. When turning a corner onto our next road, slowed down to about 30K, hit the accelerator and instead of gently picking up speed it slips into neutral and revs to 5000 rpm. Have had it into the dealer a few times and aren't getting anywhere. Problem is inconsistent and never happens when they're test driving it. Think I'll go back to Ford!
  • bowtiechild68bowtiechild68 Member Posts: 2
    Ive got an 09 silverado ls with the 4.8 and 4 speed. ive noticed since i bought the truck new that when starting out from a dead stop it feels like the truck is about to rip the U-joints out of the drive shaft it jerks so hard. this Jerking happens when slowing down on the highway as well, especially noticed when the transmission downshifts from 3rd to 2nd, and from 2nd to 1st. out of fear i checked my u joints and what hard parts i could, and they are all in good shape.

I have also noticed this transmission 'burning', if you will, transmission fluid. i havent wound any leaks in the transmission anywhere, yet I've had to have fluid put in the tranny about every other time ive changed the oil. this is ridiculous for only 28k miles.
  • mitchalmitchal Member Posts: 3
    My 2010 silverado 4x4 did the exact same thing on tues. feb,8th. I took it to the dealer and got a call that the problem is one they are experiencing, caused by a flaw in the throttle body. they said it will take days to repair as GM is only releasing the repair parts on an "as needed basis" The dealer is Del Chevrolet in Paoili,Pa. I will keep you updated as I get results and/or responses from the dealer.
  • sharkjksharkjk Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Sierra that is doing the same thing. Didi you ever find out what caused the problem with your transmission?
  • bowtiechild68bowtiechild68 Member Posts: 2
    I haven't found out yet, but i'm going to see if theres anything that I could change about my driving style that would help it... assuming its similar to other problems posted on this forum and it deals with throttle body position and an O2 sensor then there has to be a way to fix it, whether it be driving very very very gently or hopefully another, simpler fix that GM would come up with.....
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Bardol,
    I apologize that you are experiencing troubles. Have you taken your vehicle into the dealer? If not I would recommend doing so for diagnosis.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • unhappygmc1unhappygmc1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 GMC sierra with trans problems as well.. it started as a whine at about 10000 miles and just every now and then. Then at 12000 it was every day so I took it in to the dealership. They looked at it and also the AC smell I told them about. Ordered part for AC but said they did not know what the whine was...Part came in for AC so I took it back and they installed the "kit" and it fixed the AC problem so far..Said they ran tests and needed a torque converter.. Ordered part...waited and it came in.. RR torque converter and same issue...did not correct problem...RR power steering pump...said it was fixed...went and picked up and did not make it out of the dealership and whine was back...Left truck again...RR alternator...RR water pump...RR tentioner...whine is gone but now it has a new noise coming from trans...when slowing down and then getting back into the accelerator it sounds like it is searching for a gear and then "clicks" changes to a lower gear and noise is gone....Does this off and on on every trip I take in the truck..Went back to dealership today to have exhaust leak fixed and had the service manager ride and listen...said he could not hear the noise I was describing....finally got tired of driving him around and him not able to "hear" it...He was nice just no help in the matter...Noise is hard to explain so I was hoping he would listen and be able to help..Still have not got the trans problem fixed but was told it is probably nothing to worry about...$36000 to me that does not perform and make strange noises from a major part of the drive train is a worry to me...
  • kmud1kmud1 Member Posts: 2
    I read your post now I don't fell left out. I was talking to someone today and they said it could be the trans is going again? In my truck. I pull a 2 horse trailer and there a dressing room on it. For a 1500 my truck pulling alot of weight. I am looking at replaceing the truck before I lose every thing. I don't have the money to really buy any thing so I will shop around. I am thinking of going with a Ford F-250. I replaced my trans at 110,000 miles and just this past summer it started with the R thing. Its been getting worse as the winter been going on....
  • 2010sierra2010sierra Member Posts: 2
    2010 Sierra now has 3500 miles on it. It has tiny rust spots all over the sides
    of the truck. Have been working with the dealers body shop foreman. Today the body shop tried an acid wash to neutralize the rust spots. It did not work.
    The shop foreman said he will contact GM to see what the next step is. I've
    heard the GM excuses (thru my dealer) from the tech service department. Rail
    dust etc. Don't really care what the excuse is. If I wanted a rusty truck I
    would have bought used. I am pleased with the way my dealership has approached this, so far. Since I'm disgusted with this vehicle there are a couple other things I don't like. The new 6 speed auto trans shifts into 5th gear when cruising around town at 30 mph. And apparently the Active Fuel Mgt shuts down 4 cyls at the same time. I am very unhappy with this truck. Even if they gave me back $10,000 dollars of my $30,000 dollar investment I don't like this truck. $10,000 is what I could have saved buying the same truck used. I am very disgusted with GM. Thanks for the brand new rusty truck.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    If tech says it's rail dust, the correct procedure would be to clay it to remove all the impurities. You should make your dealer aware of this since claying wont take long or cost much compared to how he may ruin the finish by buffing it.
  • silverado77silverado77 Member Posts: 2
    I have 145,000mi on my truck and the same problem started long time ago. I had all kind of stuff done on the transmission and everything looked good in there. Then I realized that it would do it more after a long drive and I also notice that it would only do it if I was running on Gasoline; it never does it when I run it on propane. They checked it more and realize it had nothing to do with the transmission but with the oxygen-gasoline mix. The sensor sends wrong signals to the transmission and it asks the transmission to shift faster as if you were really pushing it. I didn't change the sensor since it was very expensive, I just turn it off for a few seconds and it goes back to normal. It also helped a lot that I tuned it up. It hardly does it anymore.
  • tlcowboytlcowboy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 GMC Sierra with just over 200,000 miles on it. Yesterday after I had been driving for about 15 minutes around town, I was stopped at a stop light on a slight grade. When the light changed, I starting to give the truck gas but it did not immediately go. I kinda felt like it was creeping up the hill very slowly for a couple seconds. Then after a couple seconds it started to go like normal. Do this sound like a transmission problem? If so, what could it be?
  • haulin1haulin1 Member Posts: 9
  • haulin1haulin1 Member Posts: 9
    I own a 2011 Silverado 1500, 5.3L V-8, 6 speed transmission. When driving with the cruise control set, if I push the tow/haul mode button on the end of the gear shift lever, the light on the instrument panel comes on as it should, but the transmission will not downshift into tow/haul mode unless I deactivate the cruise control. The only way to use the tow/haul mode is to activate it before setting the cruise control or deactivate cruise, turn on tow/haul mode, and then reactivate cruise control, if desired. I just traded an exact 2010 model for this one and I could activate tow/haul mode at any time whether the cruise control was set or not. Is any one else experiencing this problem? What is GM telling you and what is the fix?
  • pocketpocket Member Posts: 29
    I have an 03 Sierra 1500, and I am experiencing instrument cluster problems. The speedometer pegs at 120 mph. I had heard that there is a recall on this problem, and was wondering if anyone has any information on this. Also the tow/haul on the shifter will not activate no matter what I do. Does anyone have any information on this as well. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • gina37gina37 Member Posts: 2
    Us too-I'm cross posting this under TrailBlazer and Silverado problems:

Mar 10, 2011 (10:09 am)
    Below is the complaint (personal contact info removed) I sent into Chevrolet's website on 3/6/11 under their customer service contact section. Up until yesterday morning they had not responded. I had to call the 800 # after we dropped TrailBlazer of at the dealership. Still waiting to hear if it is the same problem, but it certainly feels like it. Last time they offered nothing towards repairs so I hope they stand behind their product this time. (After all didn't the tax payers stand behind them via a large bail out?) If not, I will pool all resources at my disposal to try and get GM to recall these unsafe/unreliable parts. Maybe a class action suit like another member posted will be necessary...?

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT
    2003 Chevy Silverado

In December of 2007 the Silverado would not go into reverse. Parts 24224999 valve assembly, 24221142 plate PKG, 24208576 FLTR kit were replaced at Pellegrino Chevy in Westville, NJ. Repairs completed on 12/8/06. The mileage was 29,578. Was covered under extended warranty we bought-out of pocket costs $0.00
    In December of 2007 the transmission was slipping badly on the TrailBlazer. It seemed unable to go into third gear. Parts 24224997 valve assembly, 24220200 F-plate, 24221350 GSKT kit and 24208576 FLTR kit were replaced at Pellegrino Chevy on 12/21/07. The mileage was 84,568. Out of pocket expense $1087.59!! Appears to be same exact problem. Called Chevy and complained. Received GM Loyalty certificate good until February of 2009 towards the purchase of a new GM. Still have certificate as our Chevy trucks were still quite new to us and we were NOT interested in buying a new vehicle. Fast forward to today. The transmission has slipped again on the TrailBlazer. It is Sunday and I was entering a highway trying to get up to 50 miles an hour, with my 14 year old son with me, when the engine just started really revving and the truck was barely accelerating. This is seriously unsafe and if it does turn out to be the same problem I will be most unhappy. We could have been rear-ended! The TrailBlazer only has 104,000 miles and change so it made it just about 20,000 miles for the tranny to fail again. I would really like to hear directly from a customer service rep before I put it into the shop-again. There is nothing I can do with it on a Sunday afternoon anyway.
    Thank you in advance for any and all help,
    Gina and John S., loyal GM owners.
    P.S. I'm glad I have a 1991 Camaro as a back up vehicle or I would end up renting a car and/or missing work.
  • bandd1433bandd1433 Member Posts: 2
    Tell everyone and continue to tell everyone. We're still fighting with GM over our 2009 transmission shifting issues. It has gotten worse the longer we've owned it. My husband and my Dad were both GM guys. My Dad has passed away now and my husband still wants to be a GM guy, but is beginning to think otherwise. GM won't stand behind what they build .... we shouldn't stand behind them.....I think we need to do a major lawsuit and demand our bailout money returned to us. I haven't owned a GM in years and I will NEVER buy another GM product!
  • bandd1433bandd1433 Member Posts: 2
    WE HAVE BEEN FIGHTING WITH GM FOR 18 MONTHS NOW AND THEY WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS! OUR TRANSMISSION ON OUR 2009 SILVERADO CREW CAB STARTED SLIPPING WITHIN THE FIRST SIX MONTHS OF OWNING THIS VEHICLE. AT THE ONE YEAR MARK, IT GOT WORSE AND WE'VE HAD IT IN THE SHOP 4 TIMES AND THEY SAY THAT THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT. EVEN THE GENERAL MANAGER DROVE IT AND FELT THE TRANSMISSION SLIP, BUT BECAUSE THE DYNO SAID NOTHING IS WRONG, THEN NOTHING MUST BE WRONG. NOW IT'S EVEN SLIPPING WHILE DOWN SHIFTING. GM WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS....SO IF THEY WON'T STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS, THEN WE SHOULDN'T STAND BEHIND THEM. DO NOT EVER BUY A GENERAL MOTORS PRODUCT IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A RELIABLE VEHICLE BECAUSE THE VEHICLE AND GENERAL MOTORS WILL LEAVE YOU STRANDED!
    is your 2009 a six speed transmission?
  • guitarmnguitarmn Member Posts: 3
    Hi Everyone,

Well GM has released a paper on the problem I was experiencing. Seems a bearing in the front diff was the problem. It has been changed and no more noise.

Steve
  • pocketpocket Member Posts: 29
    Well just as I suspected, I contacted GMC customer service, and there is an extended contract on the instrument panel. However it is for 7 years or 70,000 miles. I had this problem diagnosed by a GM dealer 2 years ago, when the vehicle only had 68,000 on it. The dealer never put it on a ticket, and has denied that they ever saw the vehicle, so Government Motors Corp. will not to a thing about it. I am going to put a big a** lemon sign on the side of both of my vehicles, and advertise what kind of vehicles and service GMC gives. Then I will do my best to get rid of these vehicles and never ever buy another GM product. I have driven GM for over 45 years, and now I am done with them. Good luck all of you unfortunate souls out there who have bought GM vehicles.
  • sawy_ahmedsawy_ahmed Member Posts: 1
    i believe that you should not activate the tow mode on the run cause any how if you are towing a trailer then before you move the truck you will push the tow mode button until you reach the distention where you release the trailer
  • faqu2mofofaqu2mofo Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2011
    So i blew out my drivers side cv trying to pull a friend out of a mud hole which sadly isnt my issue... that day my transmision has started tapping. its the best way i can describe it. its a light tap constant when i start the truck if i increase the rpm it goes away when its warm it taps for a split second then goes away. if i tap the gas when it returns to idle another quick tap then goes away im thinking maybe a rock is loged somwhere the sound gives the impression that its metal on metal. i know its coming from the transmission right aroung the filter area. its the allison transmission if that helps any
    Have you had the chance to take your vehicle to your local dealership? Please keep me posted if the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    Caron,
    Why can't GM take care of the known issues with the six speed transmissions that has been documented numerous times on this forum?
    Larry
  • shewchuk316shewchuk316 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2010 sierra with some tranny issues. My truck goes into 6th gear going around 60km. When I accurate my truck is still in a high gear and its very sluggish. Gm says its deigned to get into 6th gear as fast as possible to save gas. But I don't by it! It seems like just to get it to rev up I need to punch the pedal really hard. Is all this normal?
  • faqu2mofofaqu2mofo Member Posts: 2
    no i havent gone to the dealership yet, hate dealing with them and i use them as a last resort, i typically do all my own maintenance and trouble shooting. im just looking for ideas, like i said it sounds like a metal tapping coming from the fwd part of the transmission only does it at idle and for a split second like something is in the way then gets kickedout after a few seconds
  • jaypsujaypsu Member Posts: 1
    Christina,

Any update on the lazy transmission issue? I'm having the same issue (2011 Sierra 1500 5.3L 4WD), and I suspect it's computer related. When I switch to Manual and shift on my own, I get nice steady and smooth acceleration. In Auto, engine RPMs jump around and it's noticeably jerky and less responsive to driver input (aka, hitting the gas)...almost like the computer is "confused." Only 1,000 miles on the truck, so I was hoping it would "learn," but getting concerned as it doesn't seem to be getting any "smarter."

I haven't contacted a local dealer yet; was planning on giving it until the first scheduled maintenance to see if the issue would work itself out.

Thanks,
    Jay
    yes, my trans mission problems persist. dealer says "its operating as designed"
    so GM designers purposely made a transmission that shifts like crap?
    so far GM customer service has been no help.
  • larrykochlarrykoch Member Posts: 7
    Jay, I'm having the same problem with my 2010, 11,000 miles. It hasn't gotten any smarter since I've had it. Maybe if enough of us complain to their dealers word will trickle back to GM. I'm not going to put up with it much longer and since the '11s are doing the same thing, I may have to switch brands.

Larry
    jaypsu,
    If you are experiencing the issues now, I would recommend having it looked at now. I have found it is best if you take one of the service staff for a ride. This way you can point out what you are talking about and if it is just leaning etc then the technician can explain this. This way they can put in on the computer as well and see if they see anything there. Please keep me updated.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Christina,
    I know your are trying to do your best as a CS rep for GM.
    However, you have to see that this six speed transmission issue is not being addressed by GM. There is numerous documentation on this site with this problem. We all get the same response that it is operating as designed.
    I was told that this was a learning transmission and this issue would resolve itself. It has only gotten worse. How many complaints does it take before GM will admit this transmission is flawed? My understanding is there is aftermarket programming that will resolve this issue. Why can't GM provide this fix???
    we all have paid hard earned dollars for our trucks and expected GM to stand behind their product.
    What does it take? how many complaints about the same issue before GM will address this?
    Larry
    thank you Larry you said it best.

to Christina at GM customer service, 4 visits to my dealer 4 times the service rep., mechanic, and 2 service writers all told me they heard and felt the hard shifting and all of them told me they WILL NOT PUT IT IN WRITING THEY HEARD AND FELT THE HARD SHIFTING.
    they told me NOTHING appears wrong on the computer, no codes so in their option nothing is wrong yet my transmission shifts like crap!

GM is joke and I am not laughing.
  • seddingsseddings Member Posts: 1
    I guess you can add my 2011 with 3000 miles to the list of what is going on with the tranny list!! This thing is driving me nuts so i guess its my turn to argue with GM service. I begged my other half to let me trade my 2006 Megacab with 40K on it without a single problem for 4 years for this truck that ive wanted for a year. What did i do???but I guess I'll print all these complaints and take them with me I'll keep you informed of what they tell me.
    good luck seddings.
    i did exactly what you say you are going to do. i showed up with a print out of all the complaints from this site. the dealer did not want to see it.
    yesterday while shopping at lowes, a gentleman stopped to ask me what i thought of my truck as he was considering trading his 2003 gmc for a new 2011 gmc sierra. you KNOW what my response was. "GM WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT!"
    i like this truck but, the transmission is flawed and gm will do nothing about it.
    Larry S.
    we have all been there seddings and we all got no where.

also customer the service reps. here do nothing to help either, they just post replies that make it LOOK like they care, they don't!
  • gmc2011gmc2011 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my 2011 Sierra for about six weeks and I have not been happy with the performance of the transmission. I finally took it in this morning and it's being looked at now. I found out a little while ago that there are numerous complaints about this transmission and after reading some of the posted complaints, I am now concerned about what I am going to here when I go back to pick up my truck. I have also had the truck in for excessive wind noise in the cabin, it sounds like you are driving down the road with the windows cracked. I have also had a problem with it smoking badly when I start it. I was told to drive it for about a 1000 miles to see if it quits. Id did quit for a couple of weeks and it started back yesterday. At one point I was sitting at a stop light and when I accelerated it spit and sputtered and almost died while blowing out a big cloud of smoke. I wonder if GM is still trying to figure out why they are barely hanging on.