Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Transmission Problems

Comments

• lstriplstrip Member Posts: 42
    Actually, GM is making money again.
    It won't continue if they don't stand behind their product.
    Good luck!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/25/business/25auto.html
  • gmc2011gmc2011 Member Posts: 2
    I'm not just talking about making money. They are barely hanging on in terms of quality & customer loyalty.

It seems they have been ignoring the transmission problem for quite sometime.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    I’m sorry to hear about the concerns you’ve experienced with your Sierra! I’m glad to hear you’ve gotten it to the dealer, though. If you wouldn’t mind keeping us updated on the findings of your dealership, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Laura
    GM Customer Service
  • kbcla311kbcla311 Member Posts: 1
    My 2011 Sierra's transmission has progressively gotten worse. You almost have to smash the pedal to the floor to get the dang thing to downshift, and if you're driving slow it's in 6th gear before 30 mph. Hope I get some better answers from my dealer than you all. I should have kept my '07.
  • uptonrick7uptonrick7 Member Posts: 1
    I'm experiencing the same issues. Bought my Sierra a few weeks ago and it seems as though the problem is getting worse. At slow speeds (between 10-40) not only is it difficult to increase speed without the need to floor the pedal, the ride feels very choppy. Like there's intermittent fuel delivery or a transmission issue. I hope that kbcl311 comes back with an explanation from the dealer. The only reason I bought the new truck was to avoid the need to frequent the mechanic due to my aging 03 siverado.
  • vobrovobro Member Posts: 2
    I have a Ford 6 speed(no issues) which I think is the same as the trans in the Silverado/Sierra, I have a 2 friends who always complaining about their lackluster/slow reacting trans so I thought I would search here for some info.I can't believe the amount of problems I've read about with these trucks and the typical " it's normal" answer from the dealers, I know it's frustrating as I went thru this myself with an '04 Sierra and I had enough and lost my A** on trading it in.When GM was emerging from their bankruptcy I was really pulling for them,(mostly the employees)so much so that the wife was wanting to get a new GM but after reading this amount of problems and frustration I think I'll stay away.Im not bashing Im more like sympathizing with you guys but at least this board has "customer service" people on here offering such "great" advice ;)
  • pocketpocket Member Posts: 29
    Ok, I have had it. I am not going to buy another GM product ever!!!! I talked to Christina an GM, and after several e-mails back and forth. I have been informed that unless I have my vehicles (an 04 Envoy, and an 03 Sierra) checked at a GM dealership which is over 100 miles away due to GM closing several of their dealerships and at a cost of $80.00 each to check out. Which by the way I dont have the money to do. They wont even set up a case file for me. So Christina I thank you for your help. I know you are only following your company's policy, but I will have these vehicles fixed, get rid of them and buy something that does not have the problems that GM does. After over 40 years of GM loyalty. I am done.
  • el_hoppyel_hoppy Member Posts: 43
    still having problems with my trucks transmission.
    4K miles and it SUCKS!

I did manage to talk to 2 potential GM buyers about GM's transmission problems and tell them about GM's lack of customer service. one guy at the local burger joint saw my truck and asked me if I like it, boy did he get an ear full. then a taxi cab driver while I was out of town. both were thinking about buying a GM truck and now have second thoughts. the taxi cab driver promised to pass along GM's refusal to stand behind their trucks to others.
  • mloeckermloecker Member Posts: 26
    I have a 2010 Silverado 1500 with 16k miles on it and just started noticing a delay or slip when you go from forward to reverse and vise versus... any ideas why this could be happening? It is the 6 speed tranny.
  • shewchuk316shewchuk316 Member Posts: 2
    I'll tell you whats happening, we have the worst trany in our truck on the market! We will be lucky if we get 100,000 miles out of them before they burn out!

TRADE IT IN! AND NEVER BUY GM EVER AGAIN!
  • ivan18ivan18 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Silverado 2500HD and this is exactly what happened to me out of the blue. Did you ever find out what was the cause??
    I just stated noticing it a couple days ago and thought it was not right, it don't do it all the time tho- I suppose it will get worse just out of warranty as usual. GM don't fix anything unless they can make it happen at the dealership and you know what happens (usually) when you take something to the dealership... it won't act up. I have had a severe metal clunking noise under the front drivers wheel/ axle area for 2 months now and took it to the dealership and they said they could not find anything wrong and bring it back when it gets worse. WTF I thought.. I must be the only unlucky [non-permissible content removed] with problems. Ivan, what does your 2500 do to be exact? It is very imbarrasing when you drive a nice truck and back up in the parking lot and the guy next to you hears a loud clunk when backing or turning sharp and then you see a bunch of guys pull 9mm handguns from their coats and swing them around at yah... LOL, just joking on that one, but overall... dissapointed in GM to say the least
  • zeke123zeke123 Member Posts: 1
    Any luck with your problem of slowing down then accelerating and getting a clunk? I ask becasue this is exactly what my truck a new 2011 Sierra 4x4 5.3 is doing with 800 miles on it. I have yet to bring it to the dealer, have to find the time real soon. My truck clunks when I have to slow down but not to a complete stop then when I accelerate again I get a bang heard and felt inside the truck. Feels like a worn out U joint but mine are new and tight. I talked to someone (40 year mechanic) and they mentioned it could be the torque converter or a transmission program issue. If I drive mine 4th (6 speed transmission) it is fine no clunk at all. Only problem driving in 4th is that the engine rpms get up there so I'm not doing that but it is something I noticed.
    It will do it (clunk) when approaching a stop sign as well; but.... if you want to duplicate the problem... you cannot duplicate the problem one after another. It don't happen on any frequency which is a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]. The slippage feels like you are parked on a large noodle and when you back up, it slips on it and then it grabs the concrete and goes. I am going to check all the fluids tonight and watch this thing real close as I do believe something is going wrong and want to double and triple check things. You just know when things are not right and when it happens, you say WTF was that and try to duplicate it and it won't do it again until you are not prepared for it....
    I just checked all my fluids- they are good. I did notice that the truck was "assembled" in some fly by night city in Mexico... WTF is up with that crap???? No damn wonder the thing is falling apart... one day at a time...
  • seacat56seacat56 Member Posts: 5
    My truck is currently in the shop, getting flywheel/flexplate replacement number 4 at about 85,000 miles. The first two, after the original, were replaced under warranty. The mechanic informed me that there was a part number change on the flywheel. I'm looking at a pretty large bill after the latest failure,and I'm wondering why GM changed P/N's, but won't consider this a warranty issue? Anyone else suffer flywheel failure or cracking of this magnitude? I have pictures.
    I haven't towed anything in almost 2 years. Mechanic tried to claim heat issues, but there's no obvious visual evidence of extreme heating.
  • truck20truck20 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2001 Silverado 2500 HD 8.1 liter that has 125,000. I had the transmission filter changed and oil check when I purchased the truck - was told that everything looked good. After driving the truck for about 4,000 miles the transmission began leaking (can't tell where for sure but looks like towards the front). Several days later the transmission went into safety mode (stays in second gear and won't shift) - Check the transmission level and it was still up. The shop tells me that the pump has gone out and I'll need a rebuilt transmission ($4,000). Has anyone had similar problems? I bought the truck because of the transmission and it's reputation for longevity and reliability but now ...
  • jonsed77jonsed77 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have an 02 Silverado 5.3L. When I start from a stop and hammer the gas, it seems to shift ok. However when I'm on the highway or just generally driving around town and I want to pass someone, I step on it and when it kicks down, it winds right out, then the rpm comes back down and it grabs. It feels like the tranny is slipping however it is strange that it does it in every gear and the tranny fluid is topped up and clean. Any help would be appreciated.

JJ
  • huckdoghuckdog Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone could provide me with any similar experience or insight. I was involved in a rear end collision about a month ago. My 2006 GMC 1500 4 x 4 sierra was struck in the rear my a car.

I was travelleing around 10-15 mph just after starting from a full stop. I was struck by a chevy cavalier that was travelling between 30 and 45 mph. I was launched forward pretty hard. My truck sustained what appeared to be very minor damage as my trailer hitch took most of the hit. There was very substaintial front end damage tot he car that struck me. Although not readily apparent i beleive her car went under mine by the looks of the her hood which was folded up like an accordian and most of the plastic gone in the front of her car.

Both were drivable. When I left the scene my truck seemed to run fine then I noticed a small problem with the truck shifting into 3rd and 4th. (automatic transmission).

Anyhow went tot he body shop the next day her insurance sent me to (nationwide) the body guy just appraised it for a new bumper. Voiced my opinion on the trnsmission shifting diffferently, didn't seem concerned and said they would look at it when the bumper came in.

The next day i went to work and was looking at my truck and noticed the rear axle didn't seem right. Dropped a plumb line from each of the front spring shackle bolts and noticed a 3/4" difference, right hand side further forward. Told the body shop guy and re-emphasized my transmission concerns.

Was called later in the day and he told me that they thought the right hand leaf sring was bent and they replaced it.

Transmission problems continued intermittently until yesterday i went to pull out from an intersection, my transmission made a huge bang and the vehicle would not move when i pressed on the accelerator.

My question after my lengthy description is this: is it possible my transmission was damged in the accident? No fluid leaks of any type were noted under neath when they put it on the roll back and the drive shaft would not spin when put into drive (indicating rear end cross pin damage)

If it was possible damage occurred could you describe your experience and what was later found?

And finally, has anyone ever had any experience with claims for unseen damage with Nationwide (the insurance the driver had that struck me) and how difficult was it?

I'm really in a tight spot financially and am really distressed as i have taken very good care of my truck and now have this upon me.

Thanks
  • stoneybrokestoneybroke Member Posts: 83
    A couple of questions: Did you use one of Nationwide's preferred providers for your repairs? Did you sign a unconditional release of liability? I had a similar experience with State Farm-bent frame on a Ford Explorer. The preferred provider warranty saved my butt. My car was brand new with only 1200 miles on the clock.
  • huckdoghuckdog Member Posts: 2
    thaks for posting. Yes I did use one of thier preferred shops and no I didn"t sign an unconditional release of liability. I don't recall being asked to sign anything come to think of it.
  • stoneybrokestoneybroke Member Posts: 83
    This is really strange.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    edited May 2011
    Does sound like the force of the impact may have pushed the driveshaft forward into the transmission. I'd also want to find out if the axle itself was bent, even slightly. I was in a 93 F-150 and got T-boned by a car that submarined the truck and hooked the rear axle hard enough to bend the axle and yank the driveshaft out of the transfer case.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • excellentnurseexcellentnurse Member Posts: 12
    Mine is doing the same thing, please email me, my email is excellentnurse@yahoo.com the fluids are all normal, not to mention the truck only has 36,600 miles on it, I am so mad!
    My practically new truck is having transmission problems, the transmission is winding out and then when I let off of gas it will catch but not without taching out, it sounds as if it is slipping, I am so mad, if anyone else is having these problems please email me we need to make Chevy fix this,
    excellentnurse@yahoo.com

Thank you in advance for responding.
    HA! don't hold you breath, many including myself have serious problems with brand new trucks and GM has told us all to pound sand! GM took our money and now they ignore us.
    GM customer service is no help also.
  • coach2413coach2413 Member Posts: 30
    Christina ,
    Isnt that what Onstar is supposed to detect? I have same issue on 2010 Silverado and dealer says no codes are shown. But it is happening. Is the computer itself defective? I get slipping and harsh shifts and low acceleration. Also when I am coming to a stop the tranny kicks in to a higher gear and lunges me forward.
    wow talk about customer service or the lack there of
    They fixed my transmission, they said that 2nd gear is going out, but then Jeff Gordon Chevrolet was giving me the run around about paying for my rental car, so my husband called GMAC and talked to the warranty dept and they got in touch with them, they were still being butt huggers, so the area manager for Wilmington NC was called and we are supposed to hear something from them Monday, I am not holding my breath. If I have to take them to small claims court I will.
  • slater74slater74 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2010 from gordon last May and have taken it back at 4k and again at 19k with the same transmission problems as you. They keep telling me it is just my driving habits and the smart transmission cannot create a program to work with my driving!! How did you get them to fix it and secondly did it actually fix it?
    smart transmission eh???? wow- have never heard of that one- sounds like a complete BS story- Mine has 17k on it now and slips, especially on cold startup when you place it in gear- you get a noticable slipping going on...when you take it to the dealership, they tell you there must be a "specific tollerance" the transmission has to have in order for them to warranty it- I thought I would like Chevrolet trucks, but I am not impressed at all with mine. Who does make anything now days that works and you can get service when the damn thing don't.... OMG.
    We had to call GMAC, still fighting with them about paying for my rental car, not sure if it is totally fixed, only had it back since Tuesday of last week late in afternoon. I think that all of us need to band together and call GMAC, there are several with same problem, I think it is a faulty transmission
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    excellentnurse,

Are you in contact with GM Customer Assistance or GMAC?

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • djd71355djd71355 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 silverado with this exact problem. At first I thought it was just me getting used to a new vehicle but I feel like when I go to stop I have to fight the brakes to come to a full stop. You can take your foot off the gas and the truck does not slow down. This is very obvious when in a parking lot as you can take your foot off the gas and you don't slow down fast enough. I watch the tach actually go up and down as I brake to a stop. Have you had any luck with your efforts with the new customer rep?
  • larrykochlarrykoch Member Posts: 7
    I finally got my dealer's transmission expert to drive my truck. Naturally it wouldn't act up when he was driving it. It mostly occurs when stopping while going up a grade.

I am still bothered by the fact that the engine does not idle down smoothly when removing pressure from the accelerator. The engine speed will decrease some, then increase slightly, then decrease to idle speed. I can duplicate this and have graphs to show the my service rep, but they give me the "so what" response. They aren't interested.

I never thought I would say this, but there may be a brand X in my future. I know I am not going to put up with this much longer.
  • jstone1969jstone1969 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado with a factory installed tow package, it has 30,000 miles. I already have had to replace the catalytic converter, the rear brakes, and now the transmission is shot (both 3rd and 4th gear are blown). I called Chevy and they said they don't have a quality issue because there has never been a recall!!! I guess they want to wait like Toyota did to call it a quality issue. They don't believe anything is a quality issue.
    GM deny to fix our transmissions, therefore no GM transmissions get fixed, therefore there is no GM transmission problem.

get it?
    I think the American consumers will pay back GM for their inability to hear the consumer complaints- Toyota did and is still paying for it. In an economy as it is and a company not standing behind their products, it will devastate them. With the internet and all the public forums out there, NO company is imune from the bad publicity they can get from inferior products. They may have deaf ears, but the world wide web can speak loudly- It is obvious that they moderate these forums and read the posts, just make sure everyone tells everybody about their GM experiences and it will get em- sooner or later-
    GMAC my husband talked to the Regional supervisor for this area too, GMAC put him in contact with the regional.
    mloecker- you are very correct. The longer Gm refuses to acknowledge inferior workmanship and products. The more they will lose down the road. Unfortunately , like me many are/were unaware of these venues to post their complaints. I spoke with my brother who also is a bowtie loyalist and he is going to start posting his complaints.
    Since I was young my vehicles have always been GM.
    '61 GranPrix, 64 Olds starfire,61 Nomad wagon, 63 split window,63 1/2 ton truck,65 skylark,70 Nova,72 Monte Carlo, 78 442,78 seville,86 suburban4X4,98 olds intrigue,79 impala,2003 astro van,2007 silverado,2010 silverado.
    I may have missed a few but hopefully this gives you an idea of my allegiance to the old GM. The New GM is a far cry from the old.They forgot the customer pays their bills.
    be sure to file a complaint with the BBB. Also file a complaint with your states consumer affairs office.And don't forget the National safety guys.
    yep- I know this much- everyone in the customer service departments of these companies forget one thing................. the power of the world wide web and how it can start a fire storm of complaints faster than the plague. If they have known issues- man up to them and fix it. We did not buy defective vehicles from GM when we bought them did we? Did the window sticker say--- this vehicle has a transmission that may intermittantly slip on occasion? hell no it didn't. So, when it does- fix it- FREE! I have since railroaded 3 Silverado sales this last 90 days and there will be more. I am tired of GM's errogance and their BS about coverups- everyone has issues and damn it- let's get to the bottom and fix them. No biggy- it is the "AMERICAN" thing to do- now if it was made in China--- yah--- that can be expected cause they ain't smart enough to figure out what happened and how to get resolve. Enough said! Peace out. Don't forget people- let's spread the word because all of this posting is because of a reason- I have better things to do other than post complaints- ummmm, do I don't if it is to prove a point about GM.
    It is very, very clear that GM knows the tranny has problems. And has had for a number of years. It seems to be dereliction of duty to not correct the problem before it costs someone a life rather than a bumper.
    Do the Ceo's just look at numbers or do they actually get out of the overstuffed leather chair and get out to see what is happening in their world?
    Question. Has anyone spoke with their local media on these issues?
    Has any one asked local news media to post the URL's to these complaint sites? Maybe we need more power of the media to spread the word. Toyota's issue went viral and low and behold they got right on it.
    So my suggestion is to let the media know and if someone smarter than me knows how to get them to tag every new car buyer with the post pages , that would be sweet.
    I'm tempted to call the local media. I have suffered 3 cracked flexplates in under 40,000 miles, and GM claims it was poor maintenance. Am I supposed to pull the tranny every time I change the oil, just to inspect the flexplate?? Ridiculous..not to mention it was 23 days in the shop. The rental car bill was almost as high as the repair bill.
    Gm must have chimps in the back room writing excuses for all the complaints. It seems the dealers are almost word for word what the issues are. Even though many are proven to be wrong.
    Chevy truck club has several more postings of Gm truck issues and all should select that site as well to post . Somehow we need to let America know that the Giant obama blunder is getting larger each day. We knew then and are now verifying that they should have left them in bankruptcy with no bail out monies.
    The difference between the Totota recall mess and GM's ignorance is.... someone died! Someone has to die before the Senate means committe will get involved. It has to be a safety concern before they will do anything. All we can do is spread the word not to buy GM products or buyer be ware if they do- We warned you!!! As far as CEO's.... you can bet your sweet [non-permissible content removed] that they only look at... what are our sales/ what are our operating expenses= how much money did we make. If they do not take care of these quality issues, that adds to the expense revenue vs takes way from thus giving them more "profit dollars" at the end of the year. These people don't give a damn about you and do not think for one moment that they do- all you are is a "number" that buys vehicles from them and if you don't ... hell... there is another one waiting. If we tell people about their problems, it hurts... what better 3rd party indorsement...... the consumer!!!- Who believes sales people, much less a GM sales person- when their lips are moving, they are lieing. It all boils down to profits and the more people they can say no to, the more profits they make. Get it!?!?!?
    Exactly. I recently went to another chevy dealership and test drove th 2011 truck. I mentioned the noise from the right side and the salesman changed the subject and turned the radio up. Back at the dealership I again brought up the noise. He said it was just the road we were on.
    I asked him why the truck was so noisy as my 2007 wasn't. He used the road for an excuse again.
    He asked if I was ready to buy. I said yes I will go to the ford dealer to buy as you keep avoiding my question or lie. he said he didn't lie and then I pulled out a few papers, one being a TSB for noise, and told him Gm knows the problem and has for years. Before I left the sales manager stopped me and said I did that on purpose and in front of several prospective customers and he was going to use legal remedies for my action.
    I laughed at him and said bring it on. They know but they still push an inferior product with out conscience.
    hahahahahahah- I would have laughed myself- bet you will refer people to his stealership won't yah? people! I tell yah, I think they forget who the buyer/customer is. Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!