Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Jimmy Starting and Stalling Problems

12346»

Comments

• jclknnkyjclknnky Member Posts: 3
    had the same problem on my 98 jimmy, could hook up a battery charger and he would start every time...there is a fuse block under the battery tray, has a 175 fuse in it , clean or replace the fuse block or the fuse whichever it may be...hope this helps....
  • jclknnkyjclknnky Member Posts: 3
    had the same problem out of my 98, spent a small fortune....no luck, hook up a battery charger and it would start everytime, now the fix i found , there is a 175 fuse block under the battery tray, clean or replace it ....fixed mine...hope this helps....
  • 99_jimmy99_jimmy Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    When it is hot outside, I have to drive with the gas cap off. Recent;y with cap off I am vapor locking. This is new.

When it is hot if i leave the gas cap on the car will vapor lock and a whoosh of air comes out of the gas tank when I open the cap. Gas is also pushed out of the purge valve. I have tried a vented cap same problem.

I can drive the when it is below 75 degree outside with the gas cap on. Gas mileage is perfect, no pressure when I remove the cap.

Parts replaced: sparks, rotor + button, wires, all O2 sensors, new fuel tank, pump, fuel lines, fuel filter, evap charcoal canister, evap purge cylinder, and the evap part by the carburetor.

In the past it has given a p1352 code with the vapor lock condition.
  • chevyman77chevyman77 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,I have a 1993 GMC Jimmy that will start and run for a few.maybe 5 minutes at idle but after a few minutes if you hit the gas it will stall out and will not start back up...If you wait say 1/2 hour to an hour it will start back up but stall again in a few minutes...So far i have replaced the gas tank...The gas pump...The gas filter...The gas pressure regulator and the fuel pump relay but it still does the same thing...Any ideas on what else i could try to get this thing running the way it used to run would be greatly appreciated...Only thing i havent tried is maybe loosening the gas cap...I just thought about that...I'm running out of ideas here...Thank you and have a great day...
    Randy :confuse:
  • chevydaddychevydaddy Member Posts: 4
    I have a 98 GMC Jimmy with a 4.3L V-6. My son was driving it and it died on him while driving. Low and behold, there was water in the oil. It sat in the driveway for about 3 months. I finally got around to getting it in the garage, and replaced the head gaskets. I got it all back together, and it won't start. I've replaced the following items: plugs, wires, Distributor cap, rotor, Crank position sensor, cam position sensor, fuel pump. I have tested the ignition coil, ignition control module, and all fuses. And, oh by the way, I had to rebuild the starter as well. I did get it to start one time, with the gas pedal on the floor, but once it fired up, I let off of the gas, and it died. It hasn't started since, or even acted like it wanted to. I'm at a loss, with the exception of a possible timing chain slip. I really don't want to go there. I have poured a little gas into the throttle body, yet still nothing. When I crank the engine, I do hear a little bit of a "flutter" from the exhaust pipe. I'm at a loss. I do have a 5 gallon can of gas, and a match. Any thoughts?
  • jonnyringjonnyring Member Posts: 74
    edited January 2013
    Did you get the problem solved?
    I have the exact same issue now with wife's 2000 Jimmy. She over heated it , water in oil, barely runs now. Now I'm persuing head gaskets, BUT....
    If you're gonna replace the head gaskets....you have to send the heads out for warpage & to be pressure tested for internal CRACKS!!
  • 00gmcjimmy00gmcjimmy Member Posts: 4
    Hey I had the same problem three years ago and i replace my head gasket and Fuel pump. That fix the problem. Then two years ago Jimmy did the same again and come to realize we had to cut the Cadillac converts out and when we did you should see how clog it is. Yes the Engine light will stay on but i can look past that. Now we are battling break light switch. Hope this helps. :D
  • 00gmcjimmy00gmcjimmy Member Posts: 4
    Cadillac convert. I know sounds crazy but that happen to my 2000 Jimmy. Stop running and when we cut them out they were so clog know wonder why it wouldn't run.
    :D
  • chevydaddychevydaddy Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2013
    I did get the problem fixed. I replaced the head gaskets, intake manifold gaskets obviously, crank position sensor, cam position sensor, plugs, wires, rotor, and dist. cap. The problem ended up being that I had it out of time. There are "veins" that run through the dist. cap, and I had it aligned incorrectly. Also, I did NOT send my heads out to have them pressure tested or anything like that. One thing to keep in mind, if you had any kind of coolant in the oil, you need to change the oil pump. I have good oil pressure upon initial startup, but once it warms up a little bit, pressure drops to almost nothing. I am in the process of replacing the oil pump, but I have to do it in my spare time, if there really is such a thing as spare time. Mine is a 4x4 and I have to pull the front differential in order to get the pan out. SUCKS!!!!
  • bryanh83bryanh83 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 jimmy it starts fine but after it runs for a lil bit stats to act up and if i drive it it really acts up between 1500 and 2500 rpm. I've replaced the Distributor and the cap new plugs and wires changed out the mass air flow i even tried and different computer i replaced the fuel pump a few years back really not sure what to try next so any suggestions would be appreciated
  • arulselvamarulselvam Member Posts: 3
    I too face a similar situation with my jimmy 95 model. After a few miles ride, the rpm goes high during idle. Par year I changed the fuel pump and hence I face this issue. Appreciate any suggestions.

Regards
    Arul
  • vvauxhendvvauxhend Member Posts: 1
    I have a 92 jimmy that was running(being driven and died). We replaced the fuel pump. Now it tries to start or sometimes starts and runs for about a minute then dies. Can someone help with suggestions? Thanks for the help.
  • mark_dzurismark_dzuris Member Posts: 2
    My 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd 4.3 SLS has had a consistent issue with starting and stalling. It will start, run for a few seconds then die. Then start back up (I wait til I can hear the relay in the glove box click) and usually run perfectly fine until shut off again. Sometimes it will stall 2-3 times but in the end runs just fine. Once going it has zero issues, Can put it to the floor and go with no hesitation or shudder. Can drive for hours again with zero issues, however if driven for any amount of time, then shut off for more than a few minuets you get the same problem with the starting and stalling. I've replaced a bunch of sensors and the Fuel filter. Cam, Crank sensors, PCV, Mass Airflow, distributor cap and rotor and spark plugs have all been replaced. No codes are being thrown and the only engine "problem" is a emissions code thrown from a vent valve in the gas tank. Wondering what else is left at this point. Alternator is next on the list (lights noticeably flicker at night until it's been running for a while) So maybe a voltage thing. Anyways any insight would be great as I'm out of ideas. Fuel pump kicks on every time as well. No vacuum leaks, and when it stalls it sounds like a puff of air coming out of the engine (though that could be the fan slowing down for all I know)
  • shadeslayertdshadeslayertd Member Posts: 1
    My girl friend was driving the jimmy home and said it the engine just died at a stop sign but the truck still had power, then when she went to restart it it turns over but wont start.
    Went and looked at it there is spark when you go to staret it and it seems like the fuel pump is working.
  • steveauxsteveaux Member Posts: 1
    I can drive the Jimmy about 75-100 miles without any problems and then it loses power and I cannot get it over 20mph. If I let it set for 5-10 minutes along the side of the rode, it starts up fine and I am back at regular cruising speed. I can usually tell when it is going to happen as the rpm's are running high around 3000-3500 for driving around 65-75 mph (speed limit is 75), when it is usually around 2500 rpm's. I did replace the fuel filter and a hose with a slight leak, but it happened again this last weekend.
  • jsags13jsags13 Member Posts: 1
    Did you find a solution to this issue? I have the same exact issue with my 2001 jimmy all the way to the flicker of the lights and the emissions code. I even brought it to a gm dealer and they couldn't fix it. The only additional thing is that there is a faint whistling noise when it's happening. The noise is not heard under the hood only when driving and the whistle will stay in tune with the gas pedal.
  • mark_dzurismark_dzuris Member Posts: 2
    Nope, still doing what it does. Took Alternator in for testing, it's perfectly fine (just a loose connection) My next move is getting the fuel pressure tested, if that turns out to be nominal then I was told it's possibly the fuel spider. So either way it's going to be around 200-300 dollars for parts then the labor involved if either the pump or spider is bad. Still been driving for months with these issues and nothing has really changed. Drives me crazy.
  • bobtoronchukbobtoronchuk Member Posts: 1
    I have a very similar issue. I was driving my 98 Jimmy and it just died. It turns over but does not start. I have spark. I have 65 PSI for fuel pressure. I have put gas into the throttle body and it still does not start or even fire a couple of times. I am at a loss where to go next. Did you have any success?
  • jason145jason145 Member Posts: 1
    I have same problems got fire an fuel but wont start ofter it sits over night sometimes an seems worse if it rains. has new fuel pump, filter, cap ,rotor,ect. but when it runs doesnt miss at all an whats even more strange if I unhook mass air runs even better ?????????????
  • mdzurismdzuris Member Posts: 1

I found my problem with my 1996 GMC Jimmy, After troubleshooting and exhausting all other possibilities my search finally came down to a bad fuel pressure regulator. It allowed the engine to run (albeit badly) and fine at normal RPM but it would randomly stall. This was because excess fuel was being dumped into the back two cylinders and causing all kinds of havoc. Won't throw a code unless you get a lucky "misfire" code thanks to the excess fuel causing the engine to fight itself. So if your Jimmy or Blazer is starting then stalling several times while still somehow running fine once it got going, check your regulator. it's easy to tell if it's bad thanks to it's overflow valve washing out the back two cylinder intakes. Good luck and hope it helps.

• truthnvrfails5truthnvrfails5 Member Posts: 1
    there is 1987 GMC Jimmy s-15 that starts up. But when you shut it off it takes at least a hour to start up again. Do anyone have a idea of what's taking place with this vehicle?
  • lauras214lauras214 Member Posts: 1
    My82 Jimmy runs great, till I put it in gear  :(  it imeadiately stalls. We have tried rebuilding the carburetor, checking and cleaning  all filters and fuel lines. We even drained and cleaned the tank. Still dies when we put it in gear..Anyone know why??
  • Reck82Reck82 Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I have a 2005 Jimmy 4.3 vortec
    Right now i have it up on blocks
    I am having a problem.starting it or if it starts the engine bogs soon as i hot the accelerator and dies.
    Get shocked it holding throddle body open when turn her on.
    Olso get a yellow spark colour when checking the spark

I have replaced
    The rotor
    The dist cap
    Wires
    Plugs
    MAP and MAF sensors
    Fuel filter

I am stumped and i dont know what to look for or what is wrong.

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    You really need a technician to test and prove what is going on. The testing would include taking a fuel sample and making sure that it isn't contaminated. He/she needs to measure the fuel pressure. Pull codes from all of the modules on the car and from there capture serial data from the engine controller to confirm if inputs to the computer are correct and see how hard the computer is working to try and compensate for any defincies on the outputs.