Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 335i 2007+

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I've gotta tell you Joe, I still think you'd be much better served by leasing an Acura TL-S, or a Lexus IS350, or an Infiniti G35. I truly don't think you'll be happy with a BMW 335i.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jmarounjmaroun Member Posts: 151
    There's a multitude of serious reliability reports on the 335i.
    Here's a few references, and there are tons more.
    http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/bmw-335i

Yes, I use the internet as a tool when purchasing a car.
    Anyone who doesn't is at a huge dissadvantage and is living
    in the past. Of course, you can't trust everything you read..but
    you can't claim it's all lies either.

Joseph
    San Diego
    my blog: http://www.carspace.com/blogs/enthusiastsdilemma08
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    G35 Maintenance And Repair Board

Every car has it's issues. What you make out to the facts based on what you read is up to you. You have two options:

1. take everything as gospel
    2. take nothing as gospel

Some semblance of the facts are in the middle.
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Relax. You're making this needlessly difficult.

I own a 330i that I bought new in June, 2001, after spending months on this board. Back then, the E46's supposed tendency to overheat generated dozens of posts. (As I recall, some of the early production '01 cars had faulty thermostats. BMW moved quickly to fix this.)

Because I prefer to buy - not lease - my cars & because I keep them for at least 6 to 8 years (longer in some cases), I was afraid that buying a BMW would expose me to a world of financial hurt. In short, I was suffering from analysis paralysis. But in the end the test drive won me over. I wanted a fast, well-balanced RWD sedan with a manual transmission & nothing else then available was nearly as satisfying.

Well, I've owned this car for almost 7 years, which means that it's been out of warranty for nearly 3 years, & it has yet to overheat for the 1st time. In fact, it's been a remarkably trouble-free car, & I plan to keep it for at least 2 more years.

You've got the right idea: stick, SP & nothing else. (If you want nav, pick up a Garmin.) When you step back & look at the big picture, you'll see that the E46 & E90/92 3-series cars have been quite reliable, overall. Let the test drive make the decision for you.
    Of course, I don't really care what car Shipo thinks I should get.

But what a nobish reply from this guy. Comments like that are not helpful.

Joseph
    San Diego

------------------------------------
    I've gotta tell you Joe, I still think you'd be much better served by leasing an Acura TL-S, or a Lexus IS350, or an Infiniti G35. I truly don't think you'll be happy with a BMW 335i.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    ------------------------
    There's a multitude of serious reliability reports on the 335i.
    Here's a few references, and there are tons more.
    http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/bmw-335i

Yes, I use the internet as a tool when purchasing a car.
    Anyone who doesn't is at a huge dissadvantage and is living
    in the past. Of course, you can't trust everything you read..but
    you can't claim it's all lies either.

Joseph
    San Diego
    -------------------------------------------------
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Hmmm, I didn't think it was snobbish.

There are a lot of people who come here and waffle over the purchase of a European car because they believe Japanese cars are more reliable. Long term surveys and anecdotal information found on the internet both tend to support this theory (hypothethis?).

In my mind, this has been compounded recently by BMW's insistence that the owner must not service their own car. Removing dipsticks and drain plugs is a sure sign that BMW does not want you to keep your BMW more than 4 years - and I am totally against that.

If you want a well built, reliable car and a trouble-free ownership experience, I agree with Shipo - the odds are better with a Lexus, Infiniti, or Acura.

I agree with the poster above though - it's easy to over analyze these cars and basically come to a stall. If you go out looking to find a fault with any of these automobiles, you're certain to find it. There's no such thing as the ideal car - every car has it's pros and cons.

Modern cars are so incredibly well built and reliable compared to cars just a few years old, that for the most part, there isn't a bad car out there. Whether you're looking at a BMW or a Kia, they just don't fail in large numbers. I say - get the car that makes you happy.
    every car has it's pros and cons

If you look hard enough you will find the bit evidence that supports your thinking good or bad...for any manufacturer.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    The Dinan rep wants you to buy his oil cooler with their chip upgrade.

All 2008 335i models with Sports Package and
    335xi models with Sports Package and the 18" wheel option get the oil cooler.

Actually early models had fuel pump not oil pump problems.

I did a lot of research on this and talked to BMW and ended up ordering a 335xi Coupe with Sports Package and the 18" wheel option of course.

Its a function of whether or not the car is rated by BMW for a top speed of 150 MPH. The BMW website could be a little better about specifying this but it does mention the speed limitation to 130 without the Sports Package on the Specs page. The xi models do require you to pick the Sports Package and the 18" wheels to get to 150 MPH. Actually BMW is probably assumuing that snow country buyers might not want the Summer only tires with the Sports Package by default and therefore "split" out the tire options.
    I know I'm the last person you want to hear this from, but that info about the 18" wheel package on the 335xi models is good to know. Thanks. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    No charge either :)
  • westgmnwestgmn Member Posts: 11
    jmaroun...You are the guy who wrote a scathing critique of all the current offerings of the auto industry without driving a single car, other than the 335i, that was named in your "blog." Yeah you probably shouldn't do that anymore...
    Mr Empiricalist,

Firstly, test drives for many cars are not easy to come by at the moment. Some have not even hit show rooms..and the ones that have are probably not quite available to test drive. Many dealers will flat out tell you of their buy to drive philosophy for cars such as an E92 M3, GTR and such.

Secondly, a 10 minute test drive will provide important yet insufficient
    information when considering a car that will cost many thousands of dollars.

Thirdly, if you think reading other people's impressions and reported figures about
    a car is worthless..why are you reading edmunds.com forums????

Wake up. Reviews are invaluable and the interent is an indespensible tool for car buying.

Test driving a car is vitally important for sure. But if a car can't pass basic criteria such as having better than 14mpg (E92M3)..with today's fuel prices, there's is no point in test driving is there. It begs to question the lack of foresight by the industry.

The 335i escapes much of the criticism above and in my blog, however one can't help but think it was more luck than genius (on the part of management thinking) that lead to its development. I thank them either way.

Joseph
    San Diego
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Firstly, test drives for many cars are not easy to come by at the moment. Some have not even hit show rooms..(sic)and the ones that have are probably not quite available to test drive. Many dealers will flat out tell you of their buy to drive philosophy for cars such as an E92 M3, GTR and such.

Exactly! Why bother to actually drive a car when you already know everything about it?

Secondly, a 10 minute test drive will provide important yet insufficient
    information when considering a car that will cost many thousands of dollars.

"important yet insufficient"? Whatever...

Thirdly, if you think reading other people's impressions and reported figures about
    a car is worthless..(sic)why are you reading edmunds.com forums????

Entertainment value.

Wake up. Reviews are invaluable and the interent(sic) is an indespensible(sic) tool for car buying.

No one said that road tests and such aren't valuable. However, if you use them as the sole basis for forming an opinion about a car it makes said opinion essentially worthless.

Test driving a car is vitally important for sure. But if a car can't pass basic criteria(sic) such as having better than 14mpg (E92M3)..(sic)with today's fuel prices, there's(sic) is no point in test driving is there.(sic) It begs to question(sic) the lack of foresight by(sic) the industry.

Wow a 400 hp V8 that posts poor fuel economy numbers! Yes, that surprised me as well...

Why not simply cut out the middleman and simply list the buff books that you read? We can then reach our own conclusions...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Disrespectful and personally directed posts contribute nothing and shed a very negative light on this Edmund's forum.

I'm here because I'll be buying/leasing a car soon..most likely a 335i and I would like to learn from folks who have bought the car or are considering to do so.

Joseph
    San Diego
    I was really looking forward to the release of the Lotus Exige S240. Just think, a new supercar from legendary Lotus!

But imagine my dismay when I learned that it only averages 23 MPG! Then I found out you can't see out the back window - how are you supposed to drive it?!?! And what's up with all those curves and scoops in the body - totally gaudy!

To add insult to injury, it's costs $65,000 and only has a 4 cylinder engine and cloth seats. It doesn't even have carpeting or armrests!!!! And according to several magazine reviews, it's difficult to get in and out of, rides very stiff, and is extremely noisy inside (what were they thinking putting the engine behind the driver?!?!). And what's up with the standard tires?!?! They don't grip in snow/ice and they last only 10,000 miles!!!!

This has to be one of the worst cars ever built - I'm so disappointed that such a respected company like Lotus is hawking such garbage. Of course, I haven't actually ever driven one before, but then again, why would I even want to go near such a POS?
    I've heard it doesn't even have cupholders!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I'm personally waiting for the full wood interior with massaging/cooled seats. ;)
    Disrespectful and personally directed posts contribute nothing and shed a very negative light on this Edmund's forum.

That would be true if it were the case. Why don't you head on over to some of the other edmunds 3-series forums. Rather then telling people they are disrepectful, try asking a specific question, you'll get a specific answer.
    Geez, it sounds like a bunch of cocky BMW sales representatives in here!
    Such rudeness is what made me purchase through carsdirect.com instead of through BMW directly. Why is it that the rudest people I've ever met have been associated in one fashion or other with BMW??? WTF..??? It's too bad really.

Joseph
    San Diego
  • westgmnwestgmn Member Posts: 11
    Now see your last post was a "disrespectful and personally directed post." Reviews can be helpful, but that is all they are meant be. Words on page can only do so much in describing the driving experience of a particular automobile. The 0-60 times, weight, skidpad numbers,.,.etc,.,. are nice statistics and i do mean that. But they all come second to what you experience when you drive the car.
    Please tell us you didn't order a 335i already. I just know that you're going to be completely dissappointed by the car in general and come back here and fuss and complain about what a lousy BMW sold you. :lemon:

If it's not too late, I think you should go and buy one of the cars I previously recommended, or even something like a Civic Si and then slam it to your heart's delight. :P
    Congrats on your car.

Why didn't you mention what you purchased? What color is it, how did the purchase go? Did you lease or buy?

Why do you think people treat you rudely?
    I can answer that. ;)

It's because those of use who are BMW aficionados are by definition rude. Fact of life, errr, at least to hear jmaroun tell it. :P

It's that very thought process that makes me believe that he should throw his hat into the Honda or Toyota, everyone knows that they make perfectly flawless cars and have the absolute nicest owners.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    It's been a swell party, but it's time for everyone to go home now. :)

Let's move on. Please.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    A few 335i's have popped up in our neighborhood. Big difference in the rear end between the coupe and the sedan. Is one a completely different body/chassis than the other?

I have to say that, while I was slow to warm to the Bangle-ized sedan look, the new coupe looks way, way too much like a 1990's Mazda 626/929 for my tastes. Anyone else see the not so flattering resemblance?
    "Anyone else see the not so flattering resemblance? "

Not in the least. Of course I'm sure someone could post two photos side by side for reference. Talking about back-ends, the back-end of the couple looks better than the sedan.
    Mazda 929

Mazda 626

BMW 328i
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Talking about back-ends, the back-end of the couple looks better than the sedan.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I'll admit, the picture posted by fedlawman of the coupe looks decent enough - until you realize that it's taken from about a kneecap level view perspective. (See if you can even maintain your balance, getting low enough to see the front passenger tire from behind left rear of the car). As my wife says, I look like a younger Robert Redford from the right distance - about 10 miles. The Mazda 9 might not have been the right analogy, but the new 3 series coupes I've seen on the road or parked definitely appear to me to have a Japanese overtone, compared to the sedan.

To each their own. It's still the best performing sedan/coupe in the class.
    As my wife says, I look like a younger Robert Redford from the right distance - about 10 miles

I know what you mean, I constantly get mistaken for Fabio. :sick
    The only celebrity that I've ever been likened to was Weird Al Yankovic. :P

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    FYI - in case anyone was wondering. I got a 328i Cabriolet and my wife got a 3351x sedan. We love both cars and use them interchangeably depending on the weather.
    If I was to do it again I would get a 335. It is so superior for pick up and there is nothing like that turbo-boost.
    Both cars are 6 manuals. The one advantage of the 328 is gas mileage 24 to 28 for the 328 and 21 to 24 sedan. Guess when gas reaches $200 a barrel I might go with another 328, or a Tata air car!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• elanzillottaelanzillotta Member Posts: 6
    As most of you may be aware, it is now illegal to use a handheld while driving in California. I know my 335 has bluetooth wirless connectivity but I can't find the manual and don't have time to stop by the dealership. Do any of you guys know how to set it up? If so, can you give me a quick rundown if it's not too much to ask for.
    :confuse:
    Thanks a bunch.

Eric
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    BMWUSA.com has the procedure as well as an owners\'s manual that you can download.

Regards,
    OW
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    Although Edmunds states that the DCT will be available in all 3 series,

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=128946

I have read BMW announcements saying ( at least initially ) only the Coupe & 'Vert...
    - Ray
    Thinking this a rather odd marketing strategy...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • frankwfrankw Member Posts: 22
    Last spring I bought a new 2007 335i sedan (red, SP, PP, auto). Yesterday I happened to notice that the ratings on the Potenza RF tires include "Treadware 140". Does that mean 14,000 miles? My Subaru Outback had Bridgestone Turanzas with "Treadware 400".
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Here's the info. 140 is real low so I assume 10K miles and they will be well worn!

link title

Regards,
    OW
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    That sounds about right... my last 3 sets of tires were all rated around 300 and the rears are usually to the wear-bars by 20K miles.
    Yesterday I happened to notice that the ratings on the Potenza RF tires include "Treadwear 140". Does that mean 14,000 miles?

In a word, no. Read circlew's link. FWIW, the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires fitted to my Mazdaspeed3 also have a 140 treadwear rating and it looks like I'll get @25000 miles out of them- and that includes three track days spent driving it as it was intended to be driven.

• littlecflittlecf Member Posts: 7
    Looks like this thread has been dead for a while, but thought I'd post an update on my 335i sedan just in case someone's watching. It's a 2008 (purchased in October 2007), with major options being the premium package, sports package, and automatic transmission. I now have 25,000 miles on it, and all in all, it's been a very satisfying vehicle. No major problems at all, such as fuel pump or overheating issues. It came with the Bridgestone Potenza runflats, and they were fine for about the first 15,000 miles. After that, they started getting a little noisy, at 20,000 miles, they were progressively worse, and at 25,000, I couldn't take it any more, so I switched them out for a set of Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's. They still had plenty of tread left, but they were cupped so bad, I couldn't stand the noise. It's still early with the Michelins, but it sounds and feels like a new car again now.

I've had a couple of minor annoyances that I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced. First, on cool or cold days, after the first couple of stops, when I take my foot off the brake to start again, the car will hesitate, then jerk like someone hit me in the rear end. After the car is warmed up (driven 2 or 3 miles) this goes away, and it doesn't happen at all on warm days. Second, I have the HD radio with the ipod adapter, and with the radio, often when I'm listening to an HD1 station, when I turn the car off and come back to it later, the station has changed to HD2. Also, I like to listen to the ipod on random, but whenever I turn the car off, then back on, I have to reselect random. If anyone has experience either of these problems and found a resolution to them, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Otherwise, as I said, it's been a very reliable and satisfying vehicle.
  • 00boxsters00boxsters Member Posts: 202
    Hey CF,

I too have an 08 335i and experience the same hesitation off idle when the car is not fully warm. I have read about a flash update from BMW about this but the fix may be worse than the problem as well. google around and you will find it on the bmw dedicated sites.

I only have about 20k miles but have been trouble free essentially. thinking about adding thateasy to install electronic turbo booster for $600 to gain an easy 60hp...
  • qaliqali Member Posts: 60
    Hi all,

I just assumed a lease on a 2007 335i with Comfort access. As I was going through the manual, there is a section on configuring the sound/outside lights on lock/unlock via the key fob. However, as I was configuring this option on the car, I noticed that only the lights icon was available but the sound option was not. Is this is discrepency in the manual or am I missing something simple here?

Many thanks in advance.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    I'm not positive about E90s models, but on previous models, the sound option uses the alarm siren, not the horn. So, if your car comes without the optional alarm, there is no provision for sound.

Pretty sure that is still the case.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    Not all of the time, but when I shut it down after a run. The smell is in the hot plastic/hot wax vein. It presently has 2500 miles on it and has done this from the beginning. At first I thought it was just packing or preparation stuff burning off, but now I am starting to wonder. The car runs like a top, and I get no warning messages. Has anyone else noticed this in their new car? If so, when does it stop?

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Most brand new cars will have that smell. It'll burn/wear off between now and maybe 7K at the most, depending on how you drive it.
    I agree about new car smells but after running the engine and 2500 miles broken in there should NOT be a smell of hot plastic. Something is likely amiss and I'd check with your BMW service department.
    Thanks go both you and tayl0rd. I believe that I will take my little black beauty in to the dealer and have them explore.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

Thanks go both you and tayl0rd. I believe that I will take my little black beauty in to the dealer and have them explore.

OK, now I really thank you. I took the car in, and it turns out that the oil line to one of the turbos was leaking. It is now being repaired, and will, unless finished, not go on the 200+ mile trip (gulp) that it would otherwise have done this weekend. I have this "dodged a bullet" feeling.

Out of interest, have others had this problem occur?

Glad to help. Never had nor heard of problem before this.

While I really, really doubt that any damage was done to the turbo from oil starvation, perhaps you should insist on an extension to your warranty....
    perhaps you should insist on an extension to your warranty....

Hmmm, good point. The car has the 4 yr / 40K bumper to bumper warranty, but it wouldn't hurt to ask about a further extension. Thanks again.

• pdude1pdude1 Member Posts: 47
    That is an interesting idea. Didn't think BMW would do that, especially if the car is still so early in the warranty...
This discussion has been closed.