Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 335i 2007+

1212223242527»

Comments

• bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    I suppose that it will still have that dratted high pressure fuel pump though. I have an almost brand new '09 335i, and I time the starting sequence every time I drive it, waiting for the telltale delay in fire-off.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• tangofoxtrottangofoxtrot Member Posts: 10
  • davem42davem42 Member Posts: 3
    After the fire the insurance company wrapped the car in plastic and took it to their forensic lab for investigation. More to come......
  • nicktherabbitnicktherabbit Member Posts: 14
    Well ... I think my luck is running out ... twice the crank to fire was more than 5 seconds. I guess I have a visit to the local dealer for the high-pressure fuel replacement.

Any others experienced this?
  • oc24oc24 Member Posts: 7
    Folks:

I'm coming off a 328i coupe lease. I had no trouble running that car on mid-grade gas. I'm thinking of getting a 335i and wonder whether the turbo will run well with mid-grade or if I have to use premium to avoid damage or pinging. I'm not a lead-foot but I do want to enjoy the turbo.

Thanks for any insight from 335i owners.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    You want to buy a $45,000 car but are worried about an extra $5/month in gas money?

You're kidding, right? :surprise:
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    You're kidding, right?

Probably not... :sick:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    $45? You put a few options in one of those suckers and $50K comes up very easily

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited March 2010
    Yes, that's right. I get it now.

The money he saves in gas will pay for the iPod adapter in 6 years. Smart thinking!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well look everyone is trying to save a buck these days, nothing wrong with at least contemplating ways to do that-----having said that, with any kind of turbo/supercharged car, where you run the risk of denotation, I would never scrimp on the octane of the gas I'm using. IN theory the engine mapping will compensate for the lesser octane but should something go awry, the consequences are pretty catastrophic when it comes to denotation effects.

Besides all that, you kill the very thing you bought the car for---the strong performance.

Maybe a 328 was the car to buy in this case?
  • nicktherabbitnicktherabbit Member Posts: 14
    Yep, I did a very brief comparison with my 07 550i, one tank full with regular vs one tank full on premium - as I recall I got about 2mpg MORE with premium, I think the economics are a wash on that front, go with the power portion, plus you completely minimize the risk that low octane gas MAY risk the engine.

It's like, would you really put a set of Firestone bias plys on as a replacement because they are cheaper - ?!?!! ;)
    It's like, would you really put a set of Firestone bias plys on as a replacement because they are cheaper - ?!?!!

You wouldn't believe how some people try to cheap out on repairs and maintenance. I know some morons who take their 911 or M3 to Jiffy Lube.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• pylt1pylt1 Member Posts: 12
    Hey Dewey,

Looks like time has proved me right. Within months BMW added (and also retrofitted) oil coolers to these twin-turbo engines.

They also changed the oil temp display from a max temp of 300 to 340--that way the gauge wouldn't be maxed out when it read 300 . . .

I presume that between the two changes it was enough to avoid the limp-home mode for most folks as you don't hear much about it.

Interestingly, with the upgraded (if temporary) boost on the 335is model for 2011, they've also gone to the major expense of adding a SECOND radiator circuit to the left side wheel well, in addition to the a much larger radiator fan for the primary radiator. Look like these cars were at the limit of their cooling system performance with the original upgrades, and were originally insufficiently equipped when introduced for the 2007 model year . . . .

Just thought you'd like to know.
  • 00boxsters00boxsters Member Posts: 202
    Class action lawsuit recently filed over this BMW engine.

I had this 335i twin turbo auto/nonsport without radiator and live in south Florida. Never overheated or limped in 3 years 100 degree heat and race to each red light....
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    FYI: you're replying to a 4-year-old post.

Apparently, Dewey hasn't logged on to CarSpace since January, so I doubt that he'll see your response.
  • v8nutsv8nuts Member Posts: 7
    same her live in South Florida and my 335i has never overheated . I just love driving it. The twin turbo's make it a blast to drive
  • jmarounjmaroun Member Posts: 151
    So, after a year now, I'm missing my lemoned 08 335i sedan (manual/sports pkg/that's it/paid $43k otd. To be honest, I missed it from the very first day! and am begrudged that BMW couldn't properly re-design the high pressure fuel pump leaving no other reasonable option but to have me part with such a beautiful car. Don't get me wrong, I Am enjoying my fully paid 2010 Mustang GT (manual/with FR3 Ford Racing Parts Suspenssion/3.73 Rear Axle/upgraded brakes/$28k otd/incl 7yr 100k miles full warranty/7yr 100k full maintaince). Yes, that is a full $15k less than the Bimmer, with double warranty and maintaince and no worries about a failed high pressure fuel pump, and in this economy, this is somewhat refreshing. I feel less anxiety about whether I did the right thing financially. It is hard to imagine two cars that can be so different yet have so much in common. The Stang and 3 series have 4 seats, are sporty in nature, have satisfying low end torque, provide a masculine drive; yet the 3 has more room in the back, has a more business suit sporty look, provides it's torque via forced induction rather than natural aspiration, and the 3 provides more of a sophisticated and precise level of control leaving one a sense that he is more a skilled master mind of the road as opposed to a rogue villan. Yet, there is a rugged purity to the Stang, at least with my minimalist settup. It is lighter than the 3..yes it is at around 3400lbs. Engine sound boosts testosterone levels, tail loves to swing out, rear seats fold down a standard option, convieniently allowing access through trunk, in black and lowered at leat 2 inches with the updated suspenssion, my Stang looks sharp. It holds its own impressively in the twisties and can run side by side with a 335 on any straight away if not pull ahead just before 60! Thats right fanboys. Obviously, the Stang does have alota flaws that I wish could corrected. Steering wheel is too large and lightly weighted for example. The Stang isn't nearly as planted as a 3 neither, even with updated suspenssion. There is a lack of sophistication, both in performance and asthetics..something I must live with as a compromise during this economy.

But, I stopped by my local BMW dealership, near Irvine, in hopes of being inspired. Dissappointment in what I saw did not cease from the moment I arrived. Not a single manual on the lot, nor in the country as I would want one. I would have to order it and it would take at least 6 weeks to get it. (MSports sedan, Premium, manual, black interior, aluminum trim, premium speakers, and white or blue exterior) An equally equipped 3 with the exact same features, would run not $43k otd (which is what I paid in 08), but probably closer to $48k if not more. One new option, that I would seriously consider, is a 3 with MSports package mainly due to the shorter shift knob, however I really don't like the M Steering wheel. It is too thick. One can't easilly make a U turn in a parking lot using one hand. WHY have they made the steering wheel so thick? Anyway, I was kinda bumbed out.

Joseph
    Irvine
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Nice write-up.

I remember when the 'new' mustang was released I was at an auto-cross event (as a drop-in...driving a relatives car). A new mustang was driven by a good driver...and did surprisingly well (beat me).

I always thought they were clumsy...sloppy handling cars; not so here (sounded great too)
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Why do you insist on this continuous self abuse? We've been telling you for a number of years now that BMWs are the wrong car for you. In fact, when you lemonized your car a number of us laughed amongst ourselves because we predicted you'd do just that even before you bought the car. I humbly suggest you stick to Hyundais and the like.
    I would have to order it and it would take at least 6 weeks to get it.

So order it, if that's what you want. I keep my cars for a long time, so I don't mind waiting a few extra weeks for a car that's equipped to my exact specifications.

I'm not in the market at the moment, but if I were, I'd go for a 328i with the sport package & nothing else.
    I'm not in the market at the moment, but if I were, I'd go for a 328i with the sport package & nothing else.

I'd go with a 128i. Equipped the way I want(no sunroof, manual seats, M Sport, Cold Weather, Convenience, and H-K) it would have an MSRP of around 36K.

HaVe you thought of putting your name on a list for a 1 series M? I'm sure you know Joseph that the N54 Twin Turbo engine in your departed 335i is now a single scroll turbo N55 making the same hp/torque numbers.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    My understanding is that the 1 series M will have an uprated N54 -
    not an N55...

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2010/10/12/new-details-emerge-on-the-1m/

"HaVe you thought of putting your name on a list for a 1 series M? I'm sure you know Joseph that the N54 Twin Turbo engine in your departed 335i is now a single scroll turbo N55 making the same hp/torque numbers. "
    2022 X3 M40i
    I'd go with a 128i. Equipped the way I want(no sunroof, manual seats, M Sport, Cold Weather, Convenience, and H-K) it would have an MSRP of around 36K.

Sounds good, but I can't warm up to the 1. Here in the NYC metro area, it's become something of an affluent chick's car - something that Daddy will buy for you if you make dean's list. Too bad. It's not the car's fault.
    You are right - I meant the 2011 335 has the N55, not the 1 series M which will come with the N54

Joseph - I think the price differential between your 2008 and the 2011 is due to the fact that the M Sport Pkg is more expensive than the regualr sport pkg.

Just built my own 328i Sedan. I saw a Vermillion Red 328i Xdrive coupe today that was very sexy. With the aforementioned Vermillion Red paint, black leatherette, sport pkg, iPod, Sirius, Moonroof, Bluetooth, Xenon, & Smart Phone Integration the MSRP swells to $41,225! Looks like I'm going to stick with the Prelude for a few more years until I can save some more dough:)

Wow. The 328i is a fantastic car, but it's not a $40,000 car.
    I love the way the 328i drives even in its slowest & heaviest form. My Mom has an '08 328xiA she leased that goes back at the end of next month. Sparkling Graphite, Black Leather, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Automatic, PDC, Sirius, Adaptive Xenon (No Nav & no Sport Pkg). 60,000 miles on the odometer. Front Brakes done @ 50K, Rear Brakes & Inspection II done @ 59K, Tires maybe a year or so old. I toyed with the idea of buying the car back from BMW if they would knock a whole lot of dough off the buy back. It is still solid, would make an excellent commuter sled, & help keep miles off my beloved Prelude (over 130K), but I think I'm going to pass.

edited November 2010
    nyccarguy,

I believe the difference between sports pkg and m sports pkg is only $500. Even so, the minimal price delta between an 08 335 and 11 335 is at least 4k. (I'm talking otd incl tax, registration & doc fee). I've considered the 1M by the way, which will have a souped up N45 like the 335is. To me, both the 1M and 335is offer too little over a 335i, come too late relative to the up and comming 2012 335 sedan, and cost too much considering you might as well get the M3. They look like some sort of gimmick dreamed up by BMW marketing team. It is rummered that significant effort is being put into making the new 3 series lighter. This diminishes further, the whole point of the 1M IMO. It's clear that the 1M is more of a souped up 135 than a new 1 series. The 1M will have limited production as well, making people pay premium. You know, I don't like the steering wheel on the 1M by the way, too thick IMO, nor the steering feel of the M3 which is why I look mainly at a 335i sedan with regular sports package (which now comes with the old coupe's sports wheels). A down side to the 2011 335i coupe with sports package, is that now, it comes with some really boring looking wheels as one can see on bmwusa.com! My gosh, it is so obvious that BMW wants people to get the MSports for the 3coupe.
    The 1 series interior/exterior is sub-par compared to the 3 and I doubt that even the 1M will be better. Plus, they're supposed to reduce 3Series weight soon, and it makes more sense to wait for this. I am anxious to read more reviews for the 1M when it comes out. Like I said, in the meantime, I'm diggin my Mustang GT.
    I thought your main beef with the M3 was a lack of steering feel, relative lack of torque, and the hood bulge. Doesn't that pretty much sum up the pre-2011 Mustang GT?
    in short yes, but as you know, pre-2011 Mustang GT cost less than Half of an M3.
    I paid about 30.5k out the door including extended warranty and full 100k maintaince, as well as ford racing parts suspenssion upgrade installed!
    The new 5.0 Stang costs at least 4k more than the old one from what I see.
    I'm happy with the older Stang since I expect no surprises in terms of reliability, the engine has been in production for nearly a decade. The Stang offers the absolute best bang for the buck in this economy, there's nothing that touches it. My tires are about worn out now after nearly 30k already, so I'm looking forward to upgrading to Eagle F1 Asymmetrics :shades:
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I like the Mustang too. I rented one when I was in So Cal on business recently and was impressed with the ride, power, and build quality. The V6 was plenty quick.

I can only imagine how awesome the 2011 is - it's actually the first American car in many years that I would consider owning.

On the other hand, I recently had the opportunity to get an extended test drive in an M3 - a proper one with 3 pedals. After the drive, I was ready to write a check on the spot - it's that good. It's the sport sedan that Porsche would build if they were inclined to build a sport sedan. I loved it.

I've read about the 1M and really like the idea of it - I do think it's more than just a tarted up 135i, but the more I think on it, the more I'm convinced I don't like turbocharged engines. I've driven the 335i as well as the Audi A4 and no matter how quickly they claim to spool up, they just don't have the throttle response of a proper NA engine. Sucks the fun right out.

Turbos are great for piston airplanes, but unless you live in Denver or Albuquerque, they don't belong in sports cars. That's my $0.02.
    Turbos are great for piston airplanes, but unless you live in Denver or Albuquerque, they don't belong in sports cars. That's my $0.02.

Agreed, my Mazdaspeed is borderline quick, but the power delivery can't hold a candle to a well designed NA motor. I'm looking to dump it for an E46 M3 or E39 M5...

A Mazdaspeed for an M3...I'd say that's a good trade.

E46's are downright cheap right now. Next to the E30, they're my favorite 3 Series.

I've never driven an E39, but the 540i is also a great choice. I remember on a club drive a few years ago a guy following me in a 540i and he was on my bumper like crazy glue. His grip didn't surprise me as my M3 doesn't have tons of it, but his E39 was a monster powering out of corners. I asked him about his car later and he told me the horsepower gap between a 540i and M5 is basically closed with an aftermarket airbox (2 airboxes, actually) and a chip.
    Saw a guy at the carwash yesterday with an. '02 E39 M5. Car had over 75,000 miles & looked honestly showroom new. Not a scratch. Silver/Black - beautiful.

E46's are downright cheap right now. Next to the E30, they're my favorite 3 Series.

A dealer in Chicago had a 2004 with a Brembo big brake kit, Dinan Stage 1 suspension, 4:10 rear gears, and Euro headers/cats. And, as icing on the cake, it had cloth manual seats and no sunroof. It sold the day before I was supposed to look at it... :cry:

edited November 2010
    I can almost imagine the original owner walking into a dealership and asking if they have one like that on the lot!

That's a car someone has to special order and put a hefty deposit on because the dealer is scared to get stuck with it.

Sounds like a nice car - just the way I'd order one. And with some tasteful and thoughtful mods (there are way too many E46's with 20" wheels, wings, and 2" drops). Too bad you missed out on it.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I like all the modern turbo (SC) engines; they feel more lively than NA engines (even low end)

A 335i has way more power, especially down low, than my IS350...not until I wring it out to 4K rpm.

Even if you take a lower level vehicle, like a VW 2.0T compared to a TSX 4cyl. The power output is similar but I like the feel of the 2.0T.

For me anyway...it's almost a reversal of the 80's turbos...the NA engines feel mediocre below 3500 rpm, and the turbos have all the torque.

It maybe a combination of the electronics getting in the way (as in my IS350) and heavier vehicles...but all things being equal, I'd take the blown engine.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I'm just curious to know, did your Mom have any troubles with the Run Flat Tires during her lease or is she still on them now?
    She did not have any problems with them, although she did have to replace them once because they wore out. Both of my parents have been saying that the car rides too harsh for them - They've driven German cars since 1990 and like the firm ride. My Dad swears it is the run flat tires. I think it is part the fault of the run flats and part their car before this was an '05 E60 530iA. My Dad had 2 X5 Sports & neither of them rode as harshly as my Mom's 3.

• pdude1pdude1 Member Posts: 47
    I've heard the same thing from my passengers on the 335i. Especially those riding in the back that it's uncomfortable and that it's a rough ride.
  • ohlone84ohlone84 Member Posts: 1
    DAVEM42,
    What was the result, what did they find? I girlfriends 07 335i just went up in flames at a stop light. Id be intereested to hear what BMW had to say
    You DO realize that you are replying to an 11 month old post, correct?

This discussion has been closed.