Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 335i 2007+

Comments

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    First: Thanks to all on this Forum that ( repeatedly ) provide valuable information & insights.

Resistance was futile.

I ordered a 2007 Corvette Coupe on Wednesday. Expected delivery in 5 – 6 weeks.
    Monterey Red \ Titanium Gray
    3LT, MX0, CC3

Now I may check in here occasionally, to read owner’s impressions, once US deliveries of 335 Sedans begin in earnest.

I did look very carefully and very seriously at this BMW, as I think it has much to recommend it. And the boost in HP, and particularly in TQ raises the 3 Series to a new level \ class, in my view. And there are already reports that 350 or 375 HP \ TQ may be relatively easy to obtain through reconfiguration of the turbochargers’ boost.

And I do like the BMW 3 sedan interior styling & ergonomics, the fact that I could have had a “real” sliding sunroof ( vs a removable glass Targa top as the Corvette has ) and European Delivery with my Daughter would have been a ‘Trip’. [Pun intended.]

Yet I chose the Corvette. For exterior styling that I really like – a lot. For interior styling that ( finally, in the C6 ) I also like – a lot. For 400 \ 400 without having to resort to aftermarket tuner Powertrain Control Module reflash and potential warrantee issues. ( I am also impressed with the 5 YR, 100,000 mile transferable powertrain warrantee on the new Corvette. Would have loved BtoB, but oh well. . . ) And a few other things.

- Ray
    Soon to be Corvette Driver . . .
    Counting the weeks and the days already . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Great choice.

Congratulations!
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Cool!

If i had money/space for a second car the vette would be on my list, along with the boxster S.
  • bimmer9111bimmer9111 Member Posts: 1
    I've got to chime in on the new 335i. I just got one yesterday and it's out of control. I've had a few Porsche twin turbo's and this bimmer hits hard!!! I couldn't believe it, I was in the dealership looking at convertibles for my wife and after one test drive of this thing I was sold. You can't buy a used twin turbo Porsche for less than 65K. There is absolutely NO CAR that hits like this for 46K period. Forget the Boxster, Forget a regular 911, Forget an M3 this car will smoke them all. I read about a guy who dino'd it and it came out at 350lbs of tourque. You gotta drive it to belive it!!!!!!!!!
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    The same C&D that got the 4.8 second 0-60 and 13.5 quarter mile time for the 335i posted a 4.1 and 12.6 second time for the 911S. The base 911 is marginally slower.

So, with all due respect to the 335i which appears to be a very impressive car, your exaggerated impressions are full of crap. And more than a little suspect from someone claiming to have owned a "few" 911 TT's. :confuse:
  • spiritintheskyspiritinthesky Member Posts: 207
    "Forget the Boxster, Forget a regular 911, Forget an M3 this car will smoke them all."

Sounds like you're the one that is "smoking" something funny. I test drove a 335i while my M5 was in for service. Nice, yes. M3/911 quick, no. Boxster/M3/911 handling, definitely not.
  • johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    Plus, you can only put so much horsepower in a car without suspension upgrade due to the weight increase. No one wants a car that can only go straight, and will not turn. I think American Classic, Road Runner, was one of those.

No one? Heck, I'd venture to guess 90% of Americans define an automobiles performance by its straight-line speed numbers. It's enthusiasts like the people that frequent this and other sites that appreciate more sublime attributes like handling, steering feel, gearbox performance, etc.

We are in the minority in America.
  • carjimcarjim Member Posts: 155
    Ray, I have followed you ever since you showed up on the Lincoln LS board. I've been wondering what vehicle would win you over. Sounds like you went for one of the best. Happy Vettin'.

I traded my Bimmer for a 06 G35 Coupe. Hear me roarrrrr.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    I test drove a 335i while my M5 was in for service. Nice, yes. M3/911 quick, no. Boxster/M3/911 handling, definitely not.

Glad to hear the voice of reason and reality. I drove the 335i and liked it, but it's not quite the legend that seems to be growing.
  • jspencejspence Member Posts: 3
    Coming from a 90,000.00 M5, what do you expect?!?!?! Are you really comparing a 335i to the 911/Boxster/M5 etc? Sounds fair, a 45k car with several options, compared against cars that are 60k-90k with their options. LOL!

For the money, the 335i is an outstanding car. Easily one of the best cars out there in the 40k-50k range, and even MORE so when you look at the value of it. I seriously doubt in any magazine we will see a comparo of a 335i and the M5, or a 335i and the Porsche 911. More than likely, you'll see comparo's with the IS350 and the Audi S4, maybe Infiniti G35.
    More than likely, you'll see comparo's with the IS350 and the Audi S4, maybe Infiniti G35

a 07 G35 cannot even compete with a dated 06 BMW330i let alone a BMW335i.
    Hey folks thanks for confusing me with the facts!

All this time I thought my soon-to-be BMW335i was equivalent to or even better than any Lambo or even a SLR McLaren Benz. And now all of a sudden I find out from all you informative members that my new car is nothing more than a plain vanilla 335i that cannot even compete with a humble 911 Carrea S or a M5 (I mean what do you expect from a car with a base price of $40K?)? Oh well at least in my humble opinion the 335i is the best value for the buck in the sports sedan market (something that cannot be said about any M Series model ) :P
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Oh well at least in my humble opinion the 335i is the best value for the buck in the sports sedan market (something that cannot be said about any M Series model )

I guess you haven't driven a G35, Acura TL Type-S, Lexus IS 350 either. :P

Rocky
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Obviously you haven't either. :P
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    No I haven't but I have driven a G35 and a M3 BMW. The M3 vs. G35, should be close enough of a comparo giving a edge to the BMW since it's in "M" trim. I honestly came away liking the G35 a little better. I'd like to test drive a 07' G. ;)

Rocky
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    carjim –

HA! I showed up on the Lincoln LS board in late 1999!

I see the C6, as of MY 2006 ( with the addition of the A6 trans. ) as a world class GT car and a world class bargain.

Not cheap, mind you. The MSRP of the one I ordered is over $10,000 more than my 2003 LS. And the actual transaction price is higher by even more . . .

If the C6 did not exist, in its current state, I’d certainly be looking hard at the 335i. The ( relative ) lack of low end TQ is one of the few things that has kept me out of 6 cylinder BMWs. The TT 335 addresses that quite well!

Enjoy the G35. ( Drove 3 or 4 sedans & 1 coupe. )

- Ray
    Counting the days ‘till delivery of “my” 2007 . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    As I said, I like the 335i. However a comment was made earlier that overhyped the car. That's what some of us responded to.
    BTW Dewey, what size wheels are you getting? I drove a 328i with 17" wheels recently. The 335i I drove had 18s. I much prefer the 17s. The car feels darty with 18s.
    You're not alone with your 17s observations. A reviewer from the British mag called Car (Sept. edition) found the 17s more preferable too.

In my case I wanted my sedan with sport suspension and the only way I could get that was by ordering a sport package that includes 18s.

Despite the above the 335i I test drove had 18s and they felt real good . How are they relative to the 17s I really dont know? At least if I bought the coupe I would have had an option between 17s and 18s. :(
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Ray, I had an '03 LS but los it in NY on the Tappan Zee on ice. Went with the '06 330xi and loving it. But you are my new hero with your new purchase. Wish you well and many happy/safe miles! It's a legend!

BTW, LS built strong but misses mark on performance (handling. Lincoln is in BIG trouble!
    I'm sure the dealer would swap the 18's for the less expensive 17's.
    Before I do such a thing I want to test drive a 335i with 17s first.

At the same time I hate the idea of paying the price of a sport package and forgo the more expensive tires. I dont think the dealer would mind though.
    True. I'd prefer the 17's just because the roads here are so choppy and i tend to drive over train tacks at full speed. But i think i want the sport package, so i'm pondering...

Did you drive the 335 with both the sport and non-sport package?

Perhaps if you are in the BMWCCA you can find another 3-series owner and arrange a tire swap and get a few dollars out of the deal.
    Did you drive the 335 with both the sport and non-sport package?

The dealers I had visited only had a 335i coupes with a sport package.

I think test driving a BMW 335i sedan without a sport package will be a waste of time since unlike the basic coupe a basic sedan does not include sport suspension as a standard feature. All I want to do at this point of time is to compare 17s and 18s on a sedan with sport suspension.

Perhaps if you are in the BMWCCA you can find another 3-series owner and arrange a tire swap and get a few dollars out of the deal.

Not a bad idea.

I read Car & Driver's test drives of both the 335i coupe and sedan and they raved about the two cars. Both cars were equipped with 18s and they had no complaints. Similarily I had no complaints about the 18s but at least I would like to compare one with 17s. I guess I will have to try harder in finding a tester with 17s.

If I dont then I will remain content with my 18s.
    dhanley,

are you interested in the coupe or the sedan?
    The sedan--i think. I do think the coupe looks substantially better, and may be a good compromise between a sensible sedan and the little sports car i really want, and i can only justify one car for myself now.

But, for now, the sedan. I end up carting my family around a lot, and they're all "husky." But maybe i should tell them "you're lucky i didn't get a miata!" :)

I seem to be the only prospective BMW buyer on edmunds who may opt to not get the sport suspension. I think the sport package rides a bit sportier, but is not the night and day diff everyone else seems to think it is. So, i factor in harsher ride, cost of the package, probably using more tires and rims....
  • fasterthanyoufasterthanyou Member Posts: 131
    You found G35 and M3 to be close?. You mean the G35 was parked right next to the M3... because the way they drive is worlds apart. I think you probably drove a BMW 318 TI(with an M3 emblem on it)a car that will probably match or be close to the "performance" of a G35.
    Sport package is a must ...big difference in the way the car handles. If I would be to choose only one option on a 335 that would be the sport package.
    Harsh ride compare with what... a Cadillac?
    In fact my wife and I wanted the coupe. But the lack of a third seat belt in the back seat stopped us. Our kids certainly would certainly not appreciate the coupe. :(
  • dterriedterrie Member Posts: 7
    I've recently test-driven both the 335i and 328i coupes, and have been frankly disappointed in the engines. Rough feel, iffy performance. I drove a 530i that felt a bit better, but nothing to write home about. I drove a second 328i that was a bit better than the first. The salesperson keeps reassuring me that it's just engine break-in, but frankly I was so disappointed in the 335i, I've settled on the 328i if I do go forward. I owned a 1980 528i for ten years and these engines don't measure up. However, BMW would not get the reviews it gets if my experience were universal. I was told at a car show that I should drive the broken in 335i with a manual a the dealer to experience the real deal, which I'll do (the guy had a really interesting breakin method - said his cars were always the fastest afterwards), but as I said to the salesperson 'these engines did now show well'.

I do currently drive a 2004 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 (coming off lease in January), which has a great engine, very smooth and powerful, so maybe it's just the 6 vs 8 thing. But honestly, shouldn't even an un-broken in BMW 328i or 335i give you the smooth surge of power I remember? Being on the highway at about 50-60 mph, dropping into third and flooring it - now that was fun, a little hesitation and you were at 6000 rpm and shifting into 4th. Phew. By contrast, these engines - even the 335i - were working hard and getting nowhere fast.
    ". I think you probably drove a BMW 318 TI"

Well, i have driven a g35 and a 330i on a track back-to-back. I like the 330 better, but 318 is a bit harsh.

What the g35 had was a larger interior and more torque. Of course, the torque difference is rectified with the 335i...

However, the 330i was both more compliant over harsh surfaces, handled better ( especially on those harsh surfaces ) and was, in genera just more fun to drive, much easier to slice a corner with. I felt as if the tail of the G just had a mnd of its own...

Other reasons i wouldn't get a G include not liking the interior, the very poor fuel economy, and the somewhat rough engine.

dave
    Did you drive the 335i and 328i with automatics? Sounds like you did. I sort of had the same impression but I need to drive them more and without anyone else in the car. There are two things working that could be influencing the impression: the turbos and the shift points of the transmission. I think it's best to drive the automatics in sport mode and/or manual mode until the Steptronic gets a read on your driving style. In any event IMO the turbo does feel different from the naturally aspirated BMW engines that we are used to. I don't see how it can be any other way.
  • stl540stl540 Member Posts: 67
    I recently test drove the 335i coupe with a manual tranny and one with the auto. I found very slight turbo lag. The lag was no where near the much greater turbo lag found on any turbo I have ever driven, with the last being a 2002 Audi A6 2.7T.

Once the millisecond of turbo lag passed, I felt the 335i to be very, very powerful. I was very surprised at the smooth power delivery at just about any speed. I test drove both cars for 15 miles or so, on the highway and side streets.

I own a 2002 540i (290HP and 326 ft/lbs tq). The power delivery of the 540i is more immediate due to the normally aspirated engine vs. turbo. Overall, I definitely felt the 335i to be more powerful than the 540i, which is saying a lot. Of course the 5 weighs 500 lbs or so more than the 3, which is a big difference. The power of the 335i did not seem to let up.

I wonder if you drove a rebadged 325i. :) Interesting how we can have such widely diverse opinions. Almost as wide as the G35 vs M3 comment. ;)
  • jmcbmwjmcbmw Member Posts: 85
    I saw my second new coupe in person today. This was a 328i w/ sport pkg and auto. I didn't sit in it but the car is stunning (love the rims). And I'm usually one to go for the sedan as a former E46 330i owner. I'll be in the market for a new car (prob BMW but considering new G35) next spring. Anyway, Does anybody think it sucks that they are no longer going to offer the 255hp engine of the 330i? I wish they were going to offer 3 engines to choose from. It seems a shame that this amazing engine is capable of so much more even in non-turbo but will be limited in the 328i to 230hp and then have a such a big leap in power AND price with the twin-turbo 335i. Anyone else agree? I can't wait to test drive the turbo but feel that the 255hp engine would probably be more than enough for me but not the 230hp. We'll see, power is addictive!
  • navboynavboy Member Posts: 32
    Can a third party in-dash navigation system (like the pioneer or alpine unit) be mounted cleanly into a 2007 335, and be integrated with the stereo/steering wheel controls? Does anyone have any pics of their installed nav systems?
    I would say just go for the I-Drive Nav system on your 335i. It's really not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Not as good as Honda/Acura/Lexus/Infiniti/MBZ (you get the idea!) but it does work and will look better than an aftermarket system and is obviously going to be better integrated. I've used almost all factory systems on the market today. I personally liked the I-Drive on my 06 525i. Well, most of the time anyway. :D
    The new BMW 328 has similar 0 to 60 time with the "old" 330.
    First, the difference between the 328 and 335 is enormous. They feel practically like two completely different cars.
    Second, with huge torque coming at 1400 RPM( off idle)for the 335 there is no turbo lag so this "working hard and getting nowhere fast" comes obviously from somebody that never drove this car.
  • pg48477pg48477 Member Posts: 309
    I found Honda/Acura Nav to be a benchmark, with Lexus close second. I would say Nav in Infiniti, MB, Audi and BMW are in about the same league.
    I understand that but I just know that the engine is capable of the 255/260 hp and not being able to get that on the 07 is my issue. Anyway, I'm looking forward to driving everything.

BTW, I agree that Honda/Acura has the best Navigation and Lexus second except w/ Lexus your passengers cannot operate the system when the car is moving. Annoying. Personally, I thought the MBZ Comand System was much better than my BMW I-Drive Nav.
    There are reports of cooling problems going around the net. Anyone else hear this? I would look into it if interested in purchasing.
  • rebirth24rebirth24 Member Posts: 13
    Can anyone confirm whether or not the CD Player can play Mp3's ? Can the add on changer play Mp3's as well?
    I don't know what reports you're hearing. I recall that on an audi forum, there was one guy claiming that all the 335i's at a driving school overheated, even when just driving on the street, but later calls to the driving school seemed to indicate that one car had been running hot on the track and bmw wanted to have a look at it.

The engine does run a little hotter than most do, but it's supposed to, apparently.
    I got it through the grapevine on a Porsche forum where someone posted a link. Can’t post it here because it’s against Edmunds rules but here is part of the text from someone who is supposed to be a credible driving instructor. Sounds like it could be the same story you are referring to. Think what you want and proceed as you choose but this raises my antenna. I am usually cautious about buying new models anyway until they prove their mettle:

"Each and every car overheated and shut down. Hmmmm, how's that? Yup! The oil temperature on every car shot to 300 degrees and the cars shut down. We learned that early on and instructed every driver to watch it closely. Driving amounted to about 5 hot laps, 2 parade laps, and so on. Never saw anything like it yet. Talk about a fatal flaw on these vehicles. Can't wait to see this happen to the general public and see how BMW responds. I guarantee you we were not pushing these so hard that no one will ever experience what we did. In fact, one of the ABCC members took a car home with him and on his ride in to the track, aggressively I might add, overheated it and shut down on him."

and this is from a separate owner...

"As for the oil temperature, the car does run hot. Even in street driving the temp is around 240 degrees. I called the shop foreman at the dealer and he told me that if the temperature reaches 260, I should slow down and take it easy. Why a new car should overheat like that is the big question. How a company like BMW can put out a new product that does this is unbelievable. It shows that they have no clue about turbos, or about you and me, the customers who buy their products. The car heats up to 240 degress if i drive it on the freeway for 40 miles. What will it do if i drive it from Phoenix to LA, almost 400 miles? So, the car is fast, it looks good, the interior is impecable, but it overheats and has problems."
    Yeah, the first story is the one i've seen that turned out to not be true.

As for the 240F oil temp, apparently that is by design, and is not overheating per se. 220F is considrered normal in most cars. Oil temp right in the middle in a porsche is 230F.
  • spiritintheskyspiritinthesky Member Posts: 207
    My nephew, with a 335i on order, has also heard of this issue through a local BMWCCA member. His order is in for an ED delivery in December, but the dealer has given him until November 1 to walk away if there isn't a satisfactory response from BMW.

I believe BMW is better than most manufacturers when it comes to new models. But all new models can have bugs. My neighbor went from a first year Boxster that had electical problems out the wazoo and into a second year Honda S2000 that (still) had gear grinding problems. The current generation M3 had a higher than expected percentage of engine failures and the early versions of the SMG transmission (SMG I) had noticable downshift hesitation. Porsche's response to my neighbor was, "sorry"; Honda's was to give him a 100% credit towards a new 2002 model with a revised transmission. BMW has been so-so about first year bugs in the past.

Personally, my experience with BMW has been exceptional. I just turned 45,000 miles on a 2003 M5 with nothing but routine service and oil changes. But if I were considering a 335i, I'd let this issue sort itself out. I'm not sure that will be in time for my nephew's ED deadline, but there are worse things than waiting a few extra months to make sure you aren't buying into a long term problem.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    If you want to post a link to another forum (which is what I assume the problem you mentioned is), you may do so if it is purely for informational purposes and if we continue the conversation here. What's not okay - not that I think you would do this - is to post a link and/or say "go to this forum for this conversation because it's a better place for it" or words to that effect.

Yeah, things have changed a bit. ;)
  • pylt1pylt1 Member Posts: 12
    For what it's worth, I was at the DFW "Intro" for the 335i coupes, as presented by our local dealers and BMW NA in late August of 2006. In two words, NOT GOOD.

They had a "high speed" run around the inner track at TMS, a full two laps driven by professional drivers. I was embarrassed for BMW. The windows were down (safety) and the AC was off for these runs, yet in the car I was riding in the oil temp was at 290+ C, with the gauge maxing out at 300 C . . . there is no "red line" or red zone on the gauge. It wasn't abnormally hot in Texas that day, perhaps just under 100 F. (Note that the engine water temps were unknown since BMW can't be bothered to give us a water temp gauge any more.)

Another killer for BMW. The G35 coupes they had for comparison actually made the new 335i look bad! For $10k less cash, they handled almost as well and had a hell of a lot better AC (i.e., it actually worked!) (See Car and Driver's Death Valley comparison test for their thought on BMW AC.)

More inputs: these brand new BMW's already had broken parts with several of the "worn out" belt extenders end parts broken off. The drivers told us that it was "user error" since people hit them when they reached back for the belt. Yep, they got that from the "Blame Your Customer!" chapter in the "How to Get Repeat Business" book . . . . Gotta love it. You'd think they'd design these cars a little better?

BMW has a reputation for bringing things to market while still in "beta" test. Too bad they can't learn from the Bremi ignition coil fiasco they put my mom through (4 tow-ins back to the dealer in the first 8k miles on her '03 325i, followed by the "lemon law buy back from hell" as they blamed her for the problem?!$%@#!; the '03-'05+ 7-Series "software" disasters; the '00-'05 3-Series Coupe trim-won't-stay-attached-to-the-door-frame fiascoes (I saw multiple brand new/unsold 2005's with the trim melted, sitting in my dealer's lot!); the '99-'03+ 3-series electrical socket corrosion issues; the side air bag premature/excessive sensitivity issues in '99 and '00; the E90 Run Flat Tire fiasco (as we speak) . . . the list goes on and on and on.

Let this be a warning--unless you want to know your service writer's life story and the waiting area of your local dealership very, very well--avoid a first-year BMW of _any_ kind. It's even better to wait for a full two years since BMW's customer service is so terrible that it takes at least a year to acknowledge a problem (they can't accept they make mistakes, honest!), then another year to begin to fix it.

Love/Hate BMW
    TX

p.s. Any bets? I wonder how long these '07 335i engines will last with oil temps approaching 300 C (assuming the gauge is telling the truth, and BMW gauges don't always do that) and the 15,500 mile oil change interval?
    Thanks for the alert Designman,

these rumors remain unsubstantiated at this point of time.
    At least now I will be on the look out for more news about this matter.
This discussion has been closed.