Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 335i 2007+

Comments

• movistarmovistar Member Posts: 22
    I flew to Frankfurt in October for $550 roundtrip non-stop flight with Lufthusa, I ended up staying with friends for free but I only spend another $600 dollar max. Spent way less than $7k. Also if you want to do alot of different things while your over there, then you can't really count that as "blowing" the money your getting something for that money. If you just go and come back and see a few sites you can do it for under $1500. The most expensive this will be the gas, Its like 1.20 EURO per liter.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Don't take the published data too seriously. Wait until they do actual road tests.

In the case of the 911 C2S vs. C4S, Porsche lists comparable 0-60 times of approximately 4.6 seconds each. However, the C2S has been tested as low as 3.9 and in most road tests, shows 4.1-4.3 times. The C4S is at least 0.3 seconds slower. My personal experience is that a 355 hp C4S is more comparable to a 325 hp C2 in acceleration than a C2S.

If the 335i was traction limited in acceleration, then perhaps the xi model would offer some advantage. But if the 911 is any indication, the actual times for the xi will be slower than the i. It's not just the added weight, but additional drive train loss that handicaps the AWD versions.

All of my experience and data are for manual transmission cars. Perhaps there is also some quirk with the automatic transmissions that give the "x" an advantage. But come on, who is so performance oriented to worry about a 0.2 second difference and then go out and buy a slushbox?? ;)
  • bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    habitat1,

Regarding "It's not just the added weight, but additional drive train loss that handicaps the AWD versions", that is exactly what I have always thought as well, which is why I was so surprised at BMW's published figures. IIRC, the same trends apply to manual transmission cars, so I don't think its anything unique to the auto.

I'm wondering why BMW would publish these figures if they are not representative of actual performance.

Bruce
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    It would be great if manufacturers could devise a way to disengage the AWD system at the transfer case and at the wheel hubs when not needed. That way you'd only pay the weight penalty and not the driveline penalty while cruising or accelerating on the midrange or topend. Just a thought.
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    Then all you well need is a traction control then, it would defeat the purpose of AWD..
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    The hallowed ( in the USofA ) and reasonably standard 0-60 time measurement is occasionally subject to an issue of shift points. BMW, in particular, often seems to ignore any relevance to 0-60 acceleration times in picking gear ratios.

[[ edit: all numbers are for the 6 speed automatic \ Steptronic trans. ]]

The last BMW 530 test I happen to have handy ( $50K sedan comparison test from C+D ) shows MPH / 1,000 RPM for the 530’s second gear at 9.2, with a final drive ratio of 3.46:1. RPM limit is 6,500. This means that the second to third gear shift occurs JUST before the 0-60 MPH ( or 0-100KM \ 62 MPH ) time is recorded – slowing that time to some degree.

The 535i and 535xi numbers I have show the heavier AWD xi quicker ( by 1 tenth ) than the 535i.

Now, the rev limit of the new 335 & 535 motor appears to be increased to 7,000 RPM.

The 535xi has the same 3.46:1 final drive – but with the increased RPM limit, my ** GUESS ** is that now the 535xi will hold second gear just PAST 60. Avoiding the time lost to that additional shift.

And the 535i has a final drive ratio of 3.64:1. Approx a 5% difference – and will likely ( along with the fact that it will weigh less ) result in quicker acceleration within any particular gear range. But will show as ‘less quick’ than the 535xi, if that second to third gear shift in the 535i occurs just before 60 MPH – causing that additional shift time to be included.

Clear?
    - Ray
    NOT a drivetrain engineer . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Not at all. It would be like Subaru's system. "Transfer power from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip." Except in all AWD cases (no pun intended) the hubs are always engaged. (Speaking of which, I remember my Army days when we'd have to get out and manually lock the hubs on the CUCVs. It seemed nobody was ever sure if we were locking them or unlocking them! :P )
    "NOT a drivetrain engineer . ."

Pretty good forensic analysis of shift points, no matter what your day job is. ;)

On the other poster's question of why BMW might not publish 0-60 times that are accurate. I have found Porsche's and BMW's published times to be conservative. Very conservative by Porsche in the case of the 911 C2S. They list a 4.6 second 0-60 time and the three major mags had it at 4.3, 4.2 and 3.9. In the case of Porsche, my dealer (used to work for the factory) suggested that, since all of their times are conservative, they didn't want to show the "penalty" of spending $5,700 for AWD. Their published time for the C4S is still above what the testers achieve, just not by as much as the C2S.

BMW may do the same thing from a marketing standpoint. Once again, it will be interesting to see what they look like, side by side, from the same road tests.
    Ray,

Very interesting analysis. And yes, the 535Xi has a different final drive ratio than the 535i.

However, for the 3 series, the 335i and 335Xi have identical final drive ratios, 3.46 for the auto and 3.08 for the manual. And they have identical gear ratios in their transmissions, both auto and manual. Yet, BMW lists the 335Xi as having a slightly lower 0 - 60 time than the 335i independent of whether they are each auto or manual.

Thanks
    Bruce
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Great stuff, Ray! I would guess the 0-60 times might favor the AWD versions of both the 3'er and 5'er based on your analysis 0-60 MPH and in the standing 1/4 mile, the non-AWD will be faster based on the 2 additional gear changes up to ~100 MPH through the traps and better inertia due to the weight variance as you put forth. This, despite the fact that earlier gear changes tend to favor that car in an apples to apples run. Weight rules in the end.

I am assuming the 335Xi will now cmpare head-head vs. the S4 and the 535Xi vs. S6.

Regards,
    OW
    OW,

Interestingly, the gearing on the 335i and 335Xi is identical. Both the transmission gear ratios and final drive ratio are the same, yet BMW lists a lower 0 - 60 for the 335Xi.

OTOH, the 328Xi is slower to 60 than the 328i.

Thanks
    Bruce
  • tanewhousetanewhouse Member Posts: 4
    Many of the early 335i's were missing factory oil coolers, located in the right wheel well. If you go through BMA customer service directly, they will order and install. Mine was missing, I had an October 06’ Build date.

See my article at www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=883439&posted=1
    I have resolved the problem
  • tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    I have a Jan 2007 build, how can i check to see if the oil cooler coils are installed?
  • dougsilverdougsilver Member Posts: 62
    I expect to be replacing my daily drive (95 Corvette) sometime in the near future and my wife will not tolerate another Vette. Still, I would like to replace with something that is fun/performance oriented and we both sort of like the 335i and soon-to-be-released Infiniti G37 (no flames please).

My main hesitations with the 335i are threefold: (1)of course price is much more than G37 (2)I had previously owned a 1986 325es and I recall constant maintenance headaches and costs and (3)I am leery of turbos based on past experience with 1981 Audi 5000 Turbo. Regarding item (2), other BMW owners I knew with similar vintage (late 1980s) models also had constant and high maintenance issues.

I just wanted to check the experience of current BMW owners, especially regarding maintenance and reliability.

Thanks,

Doug
  • jongainesjongaines Member Posts: 6
    Took delivery last week of a full loaded 335 convertible. Dealer offered several expensive add-ons: Simonizing, Wheel damage warranty and extended warranty (2+ years/100K miles). I declined all three. The Simonizing seems like a rip off. Wheel warranty only covers structural damage to wheels or punctures to run flats. Extended warranty was about $2500 for a short extension (2 years). Any thoughts?
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Took delivery last week of a full loaded 335 convertible. Dealer offered several expensive add-ons: Simonizing, Wheel damage warranty and extended warranty (2+ years/100K miles). I declined all three. The Simonizing seems like a rip off. Wheel warranty only covers structural damage to wheels or punctures to run flats. Extended warranty was about $2500 for a short extension (2 years). Any thoughts?

No no and no.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    My Dad's '04 was in the shop for Inspection II and the dealer gave him a 328xiA as a loaner. After lunch he told me to take a spin (I work for him). I had previously driven an E90 325i and (thankfully) passed on it because at the time the lease rates were awful and it wasn't that inspiring to drive compared to my '01 Prelude Type SH.

The extra torque & horsepower are a nice addition to the 328 vs the 325. Even with the weighted AWD, the car felt much faster than my Prelude. Handling was very balanced and didn't feel the AWD at all. I love the way the straight six sings all the way to the redline.

The slushbox was terrible. It hurries through the first 4 gears (I'm a stick guy) unless you've got the throttle buried.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    Did you use the "D" or "DS" mode? By up-shifting at higher RPM, the "DS" mode provides a much more spirited driving experience. Of course, it is still no comparison to the manual transmission.
    “I expect to be replacing my daily drive (95 Corvette) sometime in the near future and my wife will not tolerate another Vette.”

I looked at the 335i – drove a coupe before official introduction – but ended up buying a new 2007 Corvette. ( I actually started this Forum. )

So:

What exactly won’t she tolerate – in a new Corvette?

I use my 2007 as a DD – and it is my only vehicle. And I see very, very little that is even somewhat difficult to ‘tolerate’.

Compared to a 335i Coupe?
    With new 2007 Corvettes selling for at or near Invoice, they even seem rather a bargain – to me.

- Ray
    Very curious . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • tanewhousetanewhouse Member Posts: 4
    See this link please, it tells all about it

">link titlewww.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57267
    Hi Ray,

Congrats on your Vette. I bought my Vette new in 1995, perhaps partly as a mid-life toy (I had turned 46) and partly to bring back fond memories from my muscle-car days. This was done against the wishes of my wife and she has hated the Vette (actually the idea of the Vette) from the day I came home with it onward (she drives a 2000 Acura TL). I value my relationship with my wife more than risking monumental aggravation by getting another Vette so that is not an option. Frankly, I would keep the 95 another 20 years if it was up to me but I am tired of the grief.

So the next best thing will be a sporty car that is "more grown up" and both the 335i and the upcoming G37 seem to fit that slot. My wife and I both enjoyed driving the 325es while we had it but the experience was soured by frequent maintenance problems (automatic trans replaced twice in the first couple of years; numerous trips to the dealer to fix the air conditioning system--at least 4 times; problems with gauges not working).

I had been warned about maintenance before buying the 1986 so I should not have been surprised. On the other hand, going with the G37 would be a no-brainer as all of the Asian cars I have owned have been flawless in reliability, but I suspect the G37 would still not be as fun as the 335i. However, before considering another BMW, I was wondering if they somehow improved things in 20 years in terms of reliability.

Doug
    Ah, the “idea” of the Corvette.

Hm. Been married – likely not an argument that can take place – let alone be ‘won’.

Given a choice between the G37 & The 335i ( assuming roughly equivalent MSRPs ) I would choose the BMW. And if you appreciate the driving dynamics of your Corvette, I expect you’d prefer it as well.

Specifically: The 335 has great steaming piles of TQ low down. As does the Corvette. The G does not.

The 335 is geared for relatively low ( compared to the G ) RPM at highway cruising speeds. As is the Corvette.

Both are very nice cars. No disrespect to either.

Have you test driven each?

- Ray
    TQ addict – looking for a 12 step program . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    One problem is that the new G37 is not out yet but reports and specs seem impressive. Horsepower is up from the G35 to 330hp and Edmunds had a "first impressions" comparison of the new G37 versus the 335i and the cars were similar in performance. Of course the BMW will always have more allure than the Infiniti but the G37 will probably have a sticker that is $5k or more less than the 335i. I keep hearing advertising from BMW that all maintenance is included for the first several years so, if that is really true, that could partially offset the expected difference in purchase price.

Doug
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    so you might wait and take a gander before deciding which way to go. I, myself, am going with a 2007 335i coupe after considering 07 Vette (Vette lease deals aren't very good right now). 08 Vette is getting new engine (430 hp LS3) and some interior upgrades. My new bimmer will be my "company" car and therefore is a 3-year lease. By the time this lease is up there will be several "new" competitors for my dollar on the market, including Pontiac G8, upgraded Vette, rear-drive Impala, etc.
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    All maintenance is covered for 4-years/50,000 miles on new BMW's. Includes everything except tires (including wiper blades, oil changes, brake pads, etc.)
    "All maintenance is covered for 4-years/50,000 miles on new BMW's. Includes everything except tires (including wiper blades, oil changes, brake pads, etc.)"

That almost sounds too good to be true but it definitely will have an impact on my decision. By the way, I had not heard about the 2008 Vette engine upgrade. Regardless, one truism is that whatever latest and greatest car you buy this year will be quickly eclipsed next year or two. That would probably not happen with either the 335i or the G37 as both are new offerings.

Doug
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,570
    It really is true.... been there... lived it.... it is a great (and undervalued) part of owning a new BMW.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Welcome back, Doug - it's been quite a while. Good to see you again. :)
    "Welcome back, Doug - it's been quite a while. Good to see you again."

How did you remember me? I have always sort of cruised the Edmunds site but the last time I was actively posting was while doing research on the last car we bought (2000 TL). Those were heady days when CarOrder was around and there were super deals to be had by those buying over the web--not so much these days.

Doug
    Regarding the free maintenance, you might want to get an estimate as to what the regular service will run on the G37 (use G35 prices to estimate). My experience with my Nissan Maxima was that I spent a grand total of $1,151 through the first 50,000 miles on maintenance. That included dealer performed service every 7,500 miles and self performed oil changes in between. On my Honda S2000, I spent a grand total of under $400 in 2.5 years and 19,000 miles, including 3 Mobil 1 oil changes and a 7,500 and 15k service.

I do not dispute the free service offered by BMW is a very worthwhile consideration, but it probably won't put much of a dent in the MSRP difference between the 335i and G37. What would put a dent in that difference is buying the BMW through European Delivery at $1,000 - $1,500 over the ED invoice price (equivalent to $1,500+ UNDER US invoice.)
    There is more to be factored in to this deal primarily due to timing. I expect that when the G37 finally arrives, pricing will be at a premium due to new arrival of a highly anticipated model. At the same time, the 335i will have been out for some time and potential buyers may be attracted to the new G-coupe which is targeting the 3-series buyers. Perhaps this will result in better pricing for the 335i.

I don't know much about European Delivery as I don't see how that can be a significant incentive. It seems that there will be extra expenses for shipping the car and certifying/licensing in the US, additional requirements for California, etc. Needing to plan a car purchase around a European trip to an area you may or may not want to visit to end up saving what amounts to an incremental difference in the overall price seems to be too much work.

Doug
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    Obviously you have not been bitten by the European Delivery bug. Check out the information on the BMWUSA site regarding what it includes. No need to worry about shipping, import duty, etc. as those are all covered by BMW. Trying to certify OBD II cars for US is not cost-effective in any case so that would not be something anyone would want to try.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    That's exactly where I remember you from - the TL and carorder.com days. :D And I remember (and agree with) your argument about the uselessness of sportshift mode since the automatic gearshift can be manipulated in the same way. Don't want to get into all of THAT here, but it is indeed good to see you again! ;)

Good luck with this next decision.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Slightly /ot, but a run of several years of Nissan products including 2 Maximas cured me of anything Nissan (or Infinity). Both Maximas were in the shop every month for some warranty repair or another. The mini-van clunked everytime a turn was made and the dealer could never fix it. I would not have wanted to own any of these products out of warranty.

To contrast that experience, several years later when I got my BMW... the first year, I made one visit in total to the dealer for normal maintenance I couldn't believe it. Even my wife asked if BMWs ever require service. I said, some reportedly live in the service bays, but not this model. :surprise
    Pat--a good memory indeed. I remember heated discussions about the shifter on the TL (nothing new really as it was always possible to manually shift an automatic--at least in every car I owned). Re: CarOrder, I had predicted the quick demise of selling at a loss. Their philosophy really did in the whole Internet buying rage that was going on.

Kdshapiro--The only Nissan I owned was a 90 Maxima and it was probably the most trouble-free and consistent car I ever owned. The BMW was fun to drive but seemed to spend more time in the shop. I believe the real culprit was lousy dealer servicing (three automatic transmissions, electrical/gauge problems, several visits over several months to address air conditioning problems) and even the basic servicing costs seemed outrageous. In spite of that, the 335i looks like a blast to take the place of the Vette, but the G37 may also fill the bill.
    Sorry to hear about your bad Nissan luck.

My 1995 Maxima SE with 154k miles was so trouble free, I'm seriously considering un-retiring it from our second home and selling our 2004 Acura TL. I didn't expect to use my 911 as a daily driver, but I only put 4,000 miles on our Acura in the last 19 months and 13,500 on the 911. The Maxima is damn near as quick as the TL, gets much better mileage around town and makes more sense as a third car at this point. I think that 4th generation Maxima (last to be made in Japan) was a hell of a well built car - better, in many ways than the more do-dad filled Acura.
    Doug,

You clearly have some serious misunderstandings about the European Delivery program. I won't give you a full tutorial, but you need to do some more research. What I will give you is a real world example of a friend of mine who is getting a 335i convertible to repalce his 1999 328i convertible.

The 335ic he has ordered has an MSRP of $56,000+. The best price his dealer would give him was approximately $2,000 off, as a repeat customer, for a price of $54,100. The SAME dealer has agreed to sell him it through the ED delivery program for $1,300 +/- over ED invoice. That works out to exactuly $49,000.

You are correct, there are travel expenses. But shipping is included and there is no "certifying/licensing" the car in the US. In fact, it is the SAME exact car (VIN number) he would be ordering either way - US delivery or European Delivery.

The only thing holding my friend back is his consideration of waiting for a 2008 model year and heading over to Europe with his wife to celebrate their 25 year anniversary in September. But he's already priced out the "quick pick up" trip for 3 days and 2 nights by himself at under $1,600 (under $700 if he uses frequent flier miles). That will still net him a savings of around $3,500.

ED is not for everybody. But I personally wouldn't consider buying a high demand BMW any other way. Once the cars are late in their model lifecycle, US discounts eat up much of the ED savings, but that's not the case with the new 3 and 5 series models, especially the convertibles.
    I'm not saying the ED program is not a great source for some savings. But it still takes planning and time to make a trip you may have no desire to make. If I was planning a trip to Europe and at the same time was considering a car purchase and at the same time the trip included Germany (I assume the pick-up is in Germany?), then it is a no brainer that that would be a great opportunity to get the car.

But if such a trip is not planned, it just seems like a hassle to go through this to save a few thousand dollars. If my ability to afford or not afford the car depends on my having to count on a European Delivery, maybe I should be looking at a different car.

Doug
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,722
    Greetings: Not a BMW owner here, but a couple of thoughts on your queries:

Simonizing: Visit zainostore.com and review. Great stuff. There's a forum here devoted to it.

Extended Warranty: Take the $2500 and invest it conservatively so it, and any earnings, are available to you post-standard warranty period. If the BMW needs no post-warranty work or you don't keep it that long, you've got your $$$ to do with as you please (as opposed to the warranty company enjoying your money...).

However, as this is BMW's first stab at a hard-top convertible,if you do plan to keep the car for a while, the extended (can't believe I'm writing this...) warranty may be worth considering. I'd have to believe that if something goes wrong beyond the warranty (with the top), it will be $$$$$ to fix... Just scrutinize the extended contract very thoroughly to ensure it covers what might actually fail! And, you can negotiate the price of the warranty, don't even have to buy it at the same dealer that you purchased the car from. As I understand it, that is. I've never purchased, nor (knock wood) needed an extended warranty... And I've owned a Chrysler!!! :blush:

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

And, for the record, I'm not saying that the ED delivery program is for everybody. I would have jumped on the opportunity to do it myself in my younger, single days on a shoestring travel budget. But now with a wife and kids, it would require a bit more planning.

My only reason for suggesting it was that you seemed to be more impressed with the BMW, but were considering the G35/G37 because they would be around $5k less. The ED pricing could wipe out a big chunk of that difference, if the planning and travel isn't too much of a hassle. If it is, you won't hurt my feelings. Heck, I've never even bought a BMW. And Porsche CHARGES you to go to pick up the car at the factory.
    Ditto if I was back in my younger days and just wanted to spur-of-the-moment visit Germany to pick up a car. Being older and in my own business, vacations are too precious to try and shoehorn in a destination that I am not particularly interested in.

I really don't know what the difference will be in $ between the G37 and the 335i when I finally will be ready to make the move. My greater concern is not so much the splurge to get the BMW (since I tend to keep cars so many years that the end result over time is lessened) but I recall the frustration of my 86 BMW in terms of servicing and maintenance (but it was sure a fun car to drive).
    "but I recall the frustration of my 86 BMW in terms of servicing and maintenance (but it was sure a fun car to drive)."

Fear of maintenance and repair headaches kept me away from German cars throughout the 80's, 90's and early 00's. But, in fairness, I owned a 1987 Acura Integra that, after 70,000 miles, turned into a major headache. So, I'm not sure comparing anything to the 1980's version/experience is fair.

My impression from friends and associates who own later model BMW's is that they are vastly improved over their 1980's ancestors. BUT, if you want to go beyond a 7 year/100k extended warranty, you will likely be taking more of a risk than with a Lexus or Acura. Whether that risk is worth it is highly subjective, but I must admit, after having a 911 for 18 months, the German driving dynamics and "feel" are pretty addictive.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The Germans need to work on the quality control of their electrical component subcontractors, if you want my two cents about "the problem".
    I agree. My E90 had a repair for the entire wiring harness in the steering wheel because the "Air Bag/Seat Belt" sensor could not be reset after 2 attempts to reset it.

I am sure this repair "out-of-warranty" would have been rather irritating to the financial condition. Good strategy to include a "bumber-to-bumper" to keep sales coming in.

Regards,
    OW
  • kamdogkamdog Member Posts: 28
    Anothre downside to ED is the process itself. First you have to order it, then they pick a date like 3 months later for you to go get it. You go get it and take it back to a shipping agent. Then it takes another 4 or 6 weeks to get it back. The whole process takes about 5 or so months from the time you order it until you can drive it home. For some, that is not a problem, and the real savings of ED make it worthwhile. For others, it is more of a hassle than the money saved.
    ..going to the BMW dealer for the "Drive for the Cure". It is a fundraiser for the Susan G. Komen Foundation.

I'm driving a 335 coupe, and if I have time.. a 5-series wagon...

Woo Hooooo...!!!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    very cool I do that event every year and enjoy it, plus its great way to test drive the cars without having a salemen in the car talking your ears off..

Tony
    Please let us know feedback from your most worthy drive. Have Fun!

Regards,
    OW
    Attended the "Drive for the Cure" event at my local BMW dealer.. They had a really nice set-up. It was catered (free lunch!) and a beautiful 80 degree day..

I had reservations to drive two specific cars, but once I signed in, it wasn't quite organized that way.. They asked me what I wanted to drive, and if it was available right then, I just hopped in and took off.. It was a 10 mile loop.. basically just down the freeway and back up.

There were a couple of entertaining spots... At the turn-around point, if you really busted it off the ramp when the light turned, you could make the left-turn signal to get back on the other ramp.. As long as you didn't mind making a 90-degree left turn at 40 MPH, it worked out just fine.. :) Traffic was fairly heavy, but moving... When you get back up to the dealership exit, there is half-mile long turn lane that is usually empty, and you can do a little high-speed acceleration testing there.. and then it ends in a 240 degree off-ramp, so you can test out the brakes.. ;)

I was scheduled to drive a 335i coupe, but there was only one, so I took the 335i Sport sedan, instead. My first observation is that I really, really miss having the sport package seats. I've had 328Xi loaners.. and never felt that comfortable, but the 335i Sport was just like being back in the old E46 Sport. Unfortunately, all of the cars were automatics, but they did have the cool shifter paddles on the wheel.

The 335i has gobs of power.. I didn't really notice it that much in accelerating from a slower speed, but once underway, if you punch it, you gather speed at an exhilirating rate. The car had great road feel.. no issues with the run-flat tires.. I guess with the higher entry speeds, you could really tell you were in a sedan, and not a sports car... a little bobbing around the turns.. but, complete control. There was a Z4 coupe that was in front of me, and driving a little too fast for conditions... cutting, weaving, etc.. I did my best to catch up to him (to signal that he should slow down, of course). He did manage to stay slightly ahead of me, and really showed off on that off-ramp.

When I got back, I put my name on the list for the Z4 coupe, and in the meantime, drove a 530XiT.. A very nice wagon, with a monstrous sunroof.. 260 HP in a wagon felt pretty poky after the 335i, but it was a very nice ride. Nice seats, but not Sport.

After that trip, my turn still wasn't up, so I asked what else was available.. Turned out to be a 650i coupe.. darn!! I thought the big coupe would feel ponderous, but it also had sport seats and didn't feel nearly that big from behind the wheel. It had a really cool heads-up display (that you can't see with polarized sunglasses). Also, a huge sunroof that had a lot of wind noise. That V-8 burble is completely different from the twin-turbo, though... and feels different, even though I'm sure that acceleration is comparable to the 335i. It was a very nice ride, and other than some visibility issues when changing lanes, it would be a great daily driver.

After the 650i ride, my turn still wasn't up for the Z4 coupe, so I partook of the free lunch and headed back to work...

A fine time was had by all.. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face, all day!!

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Nice writeup. Thanks. 650 coupe. Nice.
This discussion has been closed.