Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 335i 2007+

Comments

• nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    re: I'll bet in 3 years we see a hybrid 3'er. That should be good for 35 -40 mpg and 0-60 in 5 seconds.

I doubt it. Did you see the review of the LS600 Hybrid in the NY Times last weekend? A 5,000 + lb pig that costs $30K more, gets worse highway mileage, is slower and handles less well than the LS460. I'd like to see the 320D, 330D and 335D over here (with manual trannies).
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    You forgot the loss of trunk space for the batteries. A friend looked into the GS hybrid and commented that it had about the same trunk space as my car - not my TL, rather my 911.

I'll second your vote for the diesels. 335d with 6-speed would get my attention.
    So, while I still think it's somewhere between stupid and idiotic on the intelligence scale to drive a car 150 mph on public highways, at least you picked a pretty good one to do it in.

A BMW is a BMW because it was born to to meet the demands of drivers in country that doesn't think it's idiotic to allow 150 mph on its public roads, and who take driving seriously. High speed increases risk, but so do cell phone use (similar to driving under the influence), eating and drinking beverages behind the wheel, aggressive driving, reading a newspaper or book while driving (yes, seen that more than once on I-495), failing to understand basic lane discipline, etc., along with highway authorities that fail to repair unsafe road surfaces or remove debris, etc.
    How do you like the 911? Coming downmarket a bit, I like the look of the base Cayman -- I read a review saying that the newer base car had a sweeter engine than the S and did not lack for power. Forgive me for meandering off-topic again.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    It is a matter of control to me in hard cornering. If you are a high-level driver (not a regular commuter) and you know advanced handling control (and are proficient at driving on a road course at 9/10's of any cars capability), RWD will no doubt have an edge given the exact set-up on an AWD twin. In other words, if 2 high-level drivers raced the Twins, AWD comes in 2nd ( unless the Sumo test intervenes, then all bets are off!).

I seem to remember Audi Quattros getting outlawed after a season or so of dominating whatever series they entered, in dry and wet. Recent comparos including 997TT and R8 also shows R8 coming out ahead in spite of underpowered in comparison to 997TT.

Topgear also has shown their professional driver achieving better laptime than E46 M4 in S4, NOT RS4.
    Love the 911S. Not sure what you meant by "newer base car", as far as I know, the base Cayman still has the same 245 hp engine that is in the base Boxster. The "S" models of each get a 295hp 3.4 liter engine. I think they are all "sweet" - cars and engines. If you have any other questions, post them in the Porsche forums - I'll check over there.
    The 997TT is AWD. I've not driven either, but I'd likely take the RWD 997 GT3 over the AWD R8 in a heartbeat, if I was looking for cutting edge performance and great handling "feel". That's based upon the feedback from a friend who has driven both in Germany.

AWD vs. RWD is mostly a matter of preference. When I was thinking of swapping my 2005 C2S for a 2006 to get a different color, I tried out the C4S. Heavier, slower off the line, but better handling/traction when the road surface gets dicey. Ask 10 and you'll get a 5 and 5 split relative to which is better for smooth dry road handling. I kept my 2005, but I would have stuck with the C2S over the C4S.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    " Recent comparos including 997TT and R8 also shows R8 coming out ahead in spite of underpowered in comparison to 997TT. "

First of all, the 997TT IS awd. The only recent test (that i know of) like this was the C&D lightning lap.

http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/download/lightninglap_results.pdf

In this test, the 335i came in ahead of the more powerful and RWD rs4, the gt3 came in ahead of the more powerful r8 and 997TT, etc, and the corvettes basically dominated.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    I experienced the "dicey" feeling in the 335i loaner a couple of weeks back in light rain. The more power, the less control as road conditions deteriorate.

IMO, the perfect combination is an AWD daily driver for the bad climate days and a nice C2S/M3/5/'Vette for the fun/track car and occasional super-commuter days. On the other hand, a C4S for economy purposes would do if you only can choose one!

Regards,
    OW
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    Yes, I had a brain fart moment there. However, it was surprising when I watched Topgear segement comparing M3 and the S4. Never thought that would happen.

Then 335 beats the RS4.
  • balboa1balboa1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know when the pricing for the 2008 335i sedan will be available? Also, are there going to be any changes for the '08 line for the 335i?
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Well, I got tire of waiting for Munchen to fit an LSD to the 335i- or offer a 1er hatch, so I decided to try something really different; I recently bought a Mazdaspeed3(let the hoots of derision begin :surprise: )...
    Don't worry, I still have the X3 and Club Sport, and I still plan(dream) to pick up a M1 in the next years. And a 335d coupe would also be nice.
    That said, the MS3 is a four star hoot. As one magazine put it, "Place on ground, light fuse, get away!" My 12 year old has especially enjoyed my numerous Stoplight Grand Prix victories; he informed that he was glad that I wasn't an "old fogey" like a lot of his friends' dads. I also needed some FWD seat time because a friend who owns a "Tuner" shop wants to shift his focus from drag racing to autocross and track cars. He's asked me to help set up some high-horsepower FWD cars, so I figured I better get some experience with the little beasties. The best part of all is that he wants me to give him some pointers on driving his Maserati Spyder Cambiocorsa:
    Hey, it's a tough job, but somebody has to do it... :P

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Dude, I think your slip is showing. :blush:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    After years of dreaming, reading, ranting, & raving about BMWs here on town hall, I'm finally getting one! My wife's '00 Protege ES is shot (to put it nicely) and so we need a new vehicle for her to haul around our 10 month old and all his gear. We got a great deal to lease a new '07 X3 3.0si! Our 1st BMW, I'm so excited!

After we take delivery, I'm going to see if he'll let me take a 335i out for a spin.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Congratulations on your new ride. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Great choice; you'll love it! But whatever you do, don't drive the 335i.
    Unless you plan to buy one... ;)

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Well, fortunately for me my wallet won't let me buy a 335i!

I made a $1000 over invoice deal on an '07 X5 3.0si (handles amazing for an almost 5000 lb truck) for my Dad as the lease on his '04 X5 3.0iA is up in the middle of August (73,000 miles and you should see the amazing shape it is in). My Dad usually doesn't talk to the car dealers. They call work and ask for him, but I pick up the phone. The CA happened to call after I left to get a deposit from my Dad on the X5. My Dad said to the CA "I'm getting an X5 from you in August, the lease on my wife's '05 530 is up at the end of December and she wants another BMW. Call my son here tomorrow and make him an offer he can't refuse on an X3!."

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Why would I buy a 335i now when I'm going to win an M Coupe from Ocktoberfest? I bought 4 tickets, one of them's got to be the lucky one!

Why would I buy a 335i now when I'm going to win an M Coupe from Ocktoberfest? I bought 4 tickets, one of them's got to be the lucky one!

Sorry, this is MY year to win the raffle... ;)

• coastal2coastal2 Member Posts: 11
    Here? Making deciosion tom, please help
    There is a topic on the 3-Series board entitled "BMW 3-Series: Lease Questions".

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Here's the link to the discussion you need: BMW 3-Series Lease Questions. Good luck with it.
  • coastal2coastal2 Member Posts: 11
    THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    any news on a 335xi coupe?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I don't have a link, but I recall a BMW salesperson saying that their will be no AWD coupe in 2008.

How's that for precise information.. :surprise:

regards,
    kyfdx
    visiting host

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• xeyexeye Member Posts: 168
    Hi Shipo,

Nice to see you "normal" over here, and I didn't say a word to your wife!

Re: your post #333, my Sparkling Graphite Metallic 335xi with Sport, Premium, Cold Weather packages and Park Distance Control (what I consider the essentials (PDC is a little fluff, but after hanging my head waaay out the driver door while backing up my 4Runner to avoid customizing the grill of the M-B behind me...) was $46,700 MSRP. The initial offer was $44,800 and I required another $300 to seal the deal. The net cost was $44,500 for a pretty well equipped all-season car. (I did not opt for the 18" wheels - I thought that would be a big mistake + more $$$ for winter rubber. I live just outside Boston.)

How does that deal compare with the rest of you? Did I do OK? I'm happy regardless of the response.

Let me know!

xeye

BTW, my car is due in NY harbor tomorrow. I'm hoping to be exceeding the speed limit in 2nd gear by next weekend! Probably not, but maybe I'll get lucky.
    Thanks. ;-)

FWIW, your deal sounds fairly reasonable, have you figured out how much over invoice you paid? As a general rule, that's the real measuring stick, and depending upon the dealership, a "good deal" is typically anywhere from $1,000 to $1,500 over invoice.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I'm hoping to be exceeding the speed limit in 2nd gear by next weekend!

So you've decided not to bother with the break in instructions in the owners manual?

;)
    So you've decided not to bother with the break in instructions in the owners manual?

Regards,
    OW
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Nice photo, but I suspect that E30 was more than broken in...
    nkeen, shipo,

No, of course not. I plan to baby the car until we're both ready. I've already downloaded and read the entire manual including the break-in instructions. I really meant that I can't wait to get behind the wheel. I ordered the car on 6/26. I only mentioned that because Automobile Magazine listed the speed in each gear and I was surprised to see 68 mph for 2nd gear. I can break most of the speed limits around here in 1st gear (max 40 mph)!

According to Edmunds.com, the invoice price was, and still is, $42,975. When I quoted this to the dealer, he claimed that Edmunds had a couple of the prices incorrect and that it was really ~$43,300 to $43,400. He told me that I could see the invoice the next day because the back office people were already gone (it was 9:15 PM and the dealership had actually closed by then - I'd been there for a couple of hours already), but never got around to giving it to me. I'll get it when I get the car. The difference wasn't that much to quibble about, I got the extra $300 I wanted, and I was satisfied with the deal. Assuming he's right, I was right in the ballpark you mention. If not, it was still under what Edmunds reported others were paying, and I'll still live happily.

One thing I'm wondering about...My daily commute is less than 5 miles. I've seen advice to make sure the car gets to operating temperature and full lubrication is achieved each time it goes out during the break-in period. I don't see it as a problem to enjoy driving the car a little longer every day, but is it really necessary?

Whaddyathink?

xeye
    "I don't see it as a problem to enjoy driving the car a little longer every day, but is it really necessary?"

Short answer, yes. An occasional trip of five miles is no big deal, two of those per day with no other regular long drives IS a big deal. FWIW, I've been up to my elbows in enough sludged engines that were "Driven by a little old lady to church on Sunday" that would otherwise never have needed any engine work (given the low number of miles on the clock) to say otherwise. Were I in your shoes, I'd either find an alternate route to work that was at least ten miles, or I'd buy a bicycle for my daily commute.

Of course you could always bring it up here to New Hamster and let me put some miles on it, my daily commute looks like it's going to hit 140 miles come late September. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Shipo,

Uh, thanks anyway, I think I can manage the extra time and miles! Plenty of glass smooth back roads and twisties in this area. The "stick" is going to be a blast, especially not (necessarily) having to downshift thanks to bags of torque. (Where are you in N.H.? I pass through the state on my way to Montreal a few times a year. Hook up maybe?)

BTW, what happened to Hong Kong? Change of plans? I was there several years ago twice within a few weeks, stayed at the Harbor Plaza Hotel in Kowloon. I loved it in HK, especially the Mad Dog Tavern! One of the best parts was flying from L.A. first class on United. The Dom Perignon and chilled lobster on ice were literally within arms reach and the flights, hotel, lavish meals, etc were all on someone's else nickel.

No wonder I want a BMW!

On a separate note, BMW Owner's Circle home page still says my car is "Produced not Shipped". The inside pages say it's "En Route." Wallenius Wilhelmsen says it is due to arrive in New York today. Where in the world is my car?!!! The Freedom is due to sail tomorrow for Baltimore, so they have to get my car off the boat, probably into a holding pen until it clears Customs and gets worked on at the Prep Center. Hopefully, then it will trigger the web site and become visible to me, the insurance company for the binder, etc. I'm hoping to have it (fruitlessly, most likely) by the weekend.

One more note: During the break-in period, is is acceptable to vary the RPMs even though the speed remains more or less constant? With 6 gears, that shouldn't be too hard on a highway trip without over- or under-revving the engine and still meet the requirements of modulating the engine speed?

xeye
    On a trip, I'd slowly move mine up and down between 60 and 70 in 6th for a while, then drop it down into 5th and do the same, then back to 6th, etc. Bed the brakes in gently. Regardless of miles accumulated, don't push the car until it's reached normal operating temp.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    On a separate note, BMW Owner's Circle home page still says my car is "Produced not Shipped". The inside pages say it's "En Route." Wallenius Wilhelmsen says it is due to arrive in New York today. Where in the world is my car?!!! The Freedom is due to sail tomorrow for Baltimore, so they have to get my car off the boat, probably into a holding pen until it clears Customs and gets worked on at the Prep Center. Hopefully, then it will trigger the web site and become visible to me, the insurance company for the binder, etc. I'm hoping to have it (fruitlessly, most likely) by the weekend.

I posted on another board my experience thus far with a BMW (535) order. My car was ordered on 6/13, was in L.A. at the end of this past week, and is scheduled to be at the dealer in the next day or two. My dealer told me that there is up to a 2 week lag on the "Owner's Circle" for a given car's progress. Good luck.
    We're in Windham, just over the state line. ;-)

Regarding HK, we're heading over in a couple of weeks for a quick visit, however, due to the fact that the division is up for sale (announced two weeks ago), all relocations have been put on hold. Instead of the "when not if" scenario we were originally operating under, it's now an "if not when" situation. Annoying. We'll probably know by the end of the year. In the meantime, Mrs. Shipo is commuting to HK once a month. For my part, I haven't been to HK since the late 1980s so I'm sure stuff has changed.

Regarding what the Owner's Circle says, my 530i was here in my garage for nearly a month before Owner's Circle reported it as being "In transit". Go figure. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Hi,

If this helps anyone going forward, the call sign of the Wallenius Wilhelmsen Freedom is WDB5483. I would assume this is a permanent ID, so it may make ocean tracking easier when you're wondering where the heck your car is. I was only able to find this once the ship got within a few hundred miles of the U.S. coast. I know I posted the question of the call sign on either this discussion or the one on the run flat tires. As of noon today, it was about 300 or so miles off-shore heading in the right direction towards New York Harbor.

FWIW,

In New York, this is where the boat unloads:

Auto Marine Terminal

The Port Authority's Auto Marine Terminal covers 130 acres along the Jersey City/Bayonne waterfront on the Port Jersey and Greenville peninsulas in New Jersey. It is dedicated exclusively to the movement of vehicle imports and exports. The terminal includes two ship berths totaling 1,800 linear feet open vehicle storage areas, offices and processing buildings for the facility two tenants, BMW of America’s Port Jersey Vehicle Preparation Center, and Northeast Auto Marine Terminal (NEAT). CSX and Norfolk Southern offer direct service to the facility through its adjacent automobile rail terminal. It is also included in Foreign-Trade Zone No. 49, which is operated by the Port Authority.

http://www.panynj.gov/DoingBusinessWith/seaport/html/auto_marine.html

The Freedom's location:

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shipposition.phtml?call=WDB5483

xeye

1,200 miles, eh?...Not so tough considering all the (hopefully) trouble-free fun I can look forward to for the next 120,000 miles, right?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    You know.... I was wrong about this... The person was referring to AWD convertibles, not coupes...

So... no info.. sorry.. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bcdhedstrombcdhedstrom Member Posts: 3
    I took delivery 2 weeks ago on a special order 328i SW (wagon). $500 over invoice. Ordered it June 2 and drove it home July 21--and I'm on the West Coast. Pretty amazing for special order.

The Owner's Circle tended to be about 2 days behind the updates I received from the dealership. It was produced in about a week but seemed to set for a couple of weeks beforing being "en route".

Very happy with the car so far (my first BMW and my first new car ever!) EXCEPT the iPod option doesn't work. Dealer still trying to figure out why (doesn't work with any of their iPods either so it ain't the Pod).
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Congrats on the car. Hopefully, aside from the iPod interface problem, you'll find the car as reliable and satisfying as I have with my 3 Series.
  • 06ltd06ltd Member Posts: 25
    I'm new to this board. I ordered a 2008 335xi Coupe last Friday. Well, "ordered" is a bit of a stretch since that will actually happen at the end of the month, but the dealer accepted a refundable $500 deposit and said the order would be placed when the factory restarts after the German August holiday. The dealer doesn't know about price yet, but expects it to be up slightly from the 2007 plus the additional cost for xDrive.
    Welcome and best of luck with your new vehicle experience. Let us know what you test drove and why you chose the 335.

Regards,
    OW
  • 06ltd06ltd Member Posts: 25
    Thank you. I test drove the only remaining (used) 2007 335 Coupe at my local dealer, but I didn't care for the bright blue, no Convenience Package, no iPod conection, no rear sunshade, and no MT. I had intended to order a 335 2WD, but the salesman told me that there would be an xi version for 2008. I have a 2002tii, a 330 Ci, and live in Maryland where we do get snow, albeit not very much, usually. However neither of my other cars will do anything in the snow. Last year, I got the 330 stuck at the end of our driveway in three inches of snow. Pathetic.

I ordered the Sport Package for the 335, but I'm quite concerned about the Bridgestone RFTs; concerned about a flat out in the country (we go to Maine a good bit), and concerned about performance treads in the snow.

Otherwise, I'm very impressed with the car. I expect to get it in late October or November. I chose it because I've had BMWs since 1973 and have loved them. The new M3 would be far too much car for me, and I really like the 335's power, potential resale value, fuel efficiency, and low emissions. After reading reviews of the competition, I saw no reason to switch to another marque. BMWs aren't for everybody, but I love them.
    I am glad to see you are getting what you need. I am interested in your take on the 335xi with all-weathers. My 330xi (2006) works quite well with the 17" continental rft's. The x-drive will serve you well in Maine.

I am due for a new lease in Dec. '08 and considering the 335xi. Keep us posted of your progress. Also, I would like your impressions handling comparisons between xdrive/17inch/non-SP vs. your other BMW's.

I agree there is a lot of car for your money in BMW...not for everyone, I agree.

Regards,
    OW
    Hi all,

I haven't posted my $0.02 in few weeks, but from all the happy hour blabbering I did recently, I'm sure I have change coming!

Well, my '07 Sparkling Graphite Metallic 335xi (Sport, Cold Weather, Premium, PDC, grey leather w/burl walnut - what they call "sophisticated" in the brochure!) is at the dealer, finally. I will drive it home tomorrow in place of my '01 4Runner (SSHHH - don't tell the 4Runner - cars have ears!). There were hail T-storms predicted for today and I figured I'd leave it there for the night. Better they repair it (if it gets ding'd) than I have fresh dents on a car with <10 miles on the odo. Ordered 6/26 - not bad, really. It's definitely the way to go - never settle - get what you want.

So, we'll be a 2 Bimmer family - a '95 318ti (125K miles) and the new baby. Next year, maybe replacing the ti with a 135i?

How do I post a picture on this site? I'll shoot some pics of the 335xi and a (short) review, given that I'll be in the break-in period (AAARRGGHHHHHHH!!!!)

I'll be joining the BMWCCA, so maybe I'll meet some of you.

Good luck with your respective cars. Treat them well and they'll take care of you. A simple pat on the dash every now and then works wonders!

xeye

BTW, I didn't know the '08s were out?
  • dan12dan12 Member Posts: 114
    Congrats. Nice choice on the colors.

I ordered mine on 7/9 and the system still says that the car is waiting to be shipped. I may get it when the '08 models start showing up.
    Dan,

Thanks. I wouldn't read anything from the web site. Mine also says "Produced not shipped"! Inside the site where the graphic rolls around with the arrow may be more accurate. It says "At your BMW Center" there, and it was right on. The best resource is your sales person. In all, it was less than 6 weeks.

If I recall, Shipo's said "Awaiting Transport" for weeks after the car was in his garage!

I'll post later when I get home with the car.

xeye
    I am just curious, you indicate you were going to order a 335ci (RWD), then decided to go with an ix for the better winter traction. But then you are also ordering the sport package which, I assume, includes summer performance tires?

A friend of mine has a 328cic with an extra set of winter wheels / tires. He also lives in Maryland, northwest of Baltimore. He has had no difficulty getting around in light to medium snow with the winter wheels and tires.

Given your attraction to the 335i - potential resale value, fuel efficiency, low emmissions - the 335cix w/ sport package is a bit of an oddball car. IMO, the extra weight of the AWD undermines the sporty handling, especially in a coupe. From what I've heard, you can expect a 5-10% real world reduction in gas mileage (my friend consistently gets 33+/- on the highway, so the EPA estimate is not the benchmark). Lastly, with respect to resale, I would expect the majority of 335ci buyers to not be willing to pay extra for the "x", if they would want it at all.

Wouldn't it just be easier to get a 335ci with an extra set of winter wheels (that you will probably need to get for the "x" anyways, given the sport package selection)?
    But then you are also ordering the sport package which, I assume, includes summer performance tires?

The sport package on the xi includes 17" wheels and all-weather rubber. My '06 330xi handles better than the 330i/335i non-sp, imo. The standard SP on the 330/335 includes 18"/performance tires and "tuned" sport suspension. I believe the spring rates are changed and thicker stabilizers are included.

The xi gets 22 mpg combined consistently from my experience and cruising gets 27 on the highway.

In the snow, the setup is tremendous. In rain, the difference between the xi and the standard rwd setup feels like oil-slick with rwd/All-weather (335i) and rock-solid with the xi.

It's all a matter of security to me. If you want full fun factor, forget the xi. But go to driving school if you want to have safe fun!

If you want a heck of a lot of traction, AWD does it in the 3'er.

Regards,
    OW
    Wouldn't it just be easier to get a 335ci with an extra set of winter wheels (that you will probably need to get for the "x" anyways, given the sport package selection)?

Exactly, AWD is a poor substitute for driving ability. Learn to drive rather than depend on the electronic safety nannies.

This discussion has been closed.