Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Durango

Comments

• weimarnerweimarner Member Posts: 1
    I am scared to look for a Durango now after reading all the stories.

Anyone out there tell what I should look for when I am shopping around?
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad sign, things being this quiet...

I hope it is because everyone is having almost NO problems. And not due to NO buying the Durango.

hello, hello, wake up. anybody home??
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    I have a theory on this.... I think Edmunds caters more towards foreign makes. Just look at the following:

Almost all of the "Consumers Most Wanted" vehicles are foreign (about 90%). Only a couple Caddy SUV's and the Corvette are there, otherwise all the rest are foreign.

Edmunds sponsors things like "Mazda Mania" and "Subaru Crew".

And Edmunds claim to fame was the "I hate SUV's" thread, where even the hosts got involved.

I don't think American backers stay around here very long. They just get bashed into oblivion by the pro-Japan crowd in many of the threads.

That's just my take on it.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'll try to remember to nudge you the next time the voting comes around since consumers are the ones voting for the Consumers Most Wanted list.

Meanwhile, check out the biased Editors' Most Wanted List - the Chrysler 300 was the Most Significant Vehicle for 2005.

Did you miss the Charger chat with the Chief Engineer a couple of weeks ago? Here's the transcript.

Steve, Host
    That is a very interesting view, and who knows you may be right. And I do agree that the lines get drawn in sand, very quickly when it comes to foreign vs. domestics (I’ve been involved with a few).

I don't think American backers stay around here very long. They just get bashed into oblivion by the pro-Japan crowd in many of the threads.

You would not think that would be happening vehicle specific threads.

I’d like to consider myself to be somewhat objective, and overall I have fared a little better with foreign over domestics. But none the less, I do believe that some foreign manufactories have slipped a little and don’t always have the same edge that they once held. And maybe vehicles being built here in the U.S may have something to do with that, it hard to say for sure. Plus of course the domestics have had to get better, in order to compete.

It seems to me that of the big-3, that Chrysler have been making best overall improvements a lot over that last few years. I could be wrong, who really knows for sure.

Depending on the vehicle, sometimes it just does not appear to worth the extra dollars one must shell out to purchase a top foreign model. I know for a fact that foreign companies do their level best to keep negative press at a minimum. Which tends to miscue the scales a bit. I owned a ’01 Acura CL, in which I had transmission failure at 36k miles, during the same time period a lot of Honda/Acura V6’s had the same. There were all kind Internet threads expressing the same, but no real major press. They (Honda) have managed to keep it hush, hush.

For me, everyone vehicle has its pros & cons. Right now the Durango seems to fit the bill in a lot of ways, mainly size, and amenities. I’m still on the fence regarding the exterior styling. I need a truck base SUV like vehicle, and one that is not too big or too small. That also has some reasonable comforts, and is reliable. I don’t want to be on a first name basis with the shop foreman.
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    Steve, thanks for the info. I was surprised when I saw a few American cars make the Editor's list for 2005 (9 of 27 did). Past years were a different story, when in 2004 Edmunds favored foreign cars in 25 of 30 categories, and in 2003 Edmunds likes foreign cars best in 26 of 30 categories.

I'll stick with my theory. But, maybe a better one is that there just aren't any problems with Durangos so nobody posts here!
    Yes the Chrysler 300 and the Dodge Magnum, that is what re-sparked my interest back to the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep arena. I have not test driven a 300, but I was very impress with the interior, it seemed very top-notch.

Like I said before, somehow it seems like everyone at Chrysler is heading in the same right directions. Let do it right, build new and exciting high quality products. Give people a real reason to shop the Chrysler lines.

I got to hand to the marketing guys, the Hemi ads really has caught people’s attention. Make you want to say “you bet that thing has got a Hemi in it”!

I have also notice, that all the latest are hitting 5 stars on safety.
    Of course, Chrysler is no longer a domestic car company since Mercedes Benz owns them.

/badda boom :-)

Steve, Host
    I am considering a 05 4x4 Durango, but also may wait to see what updates the 06 come with ie. MDS, ECS, colors etc.

I have to admit that it is a little disappointing with all standard features on the Durango, that Traction Control (TC) is still an option and not standard. On just about all other SUVs, TC comes standard. My online search of Durango inventory in my area, shows that less than half have TC.

I was wondering if anyone could comment on having or not having TC on a 4x4 Durango. I thought I read some where that having 4AWD & 4-LO, somewhat negates the need for TC in extreme conditions.

Part of my reason for asking is trying to decide whether to bypass on getting a sunroof, in favor of more safety features like TC, SAB (about an even trade).

Thanks ~ Jim.
  • chastamaechastamae Member Posts: 3
    Hi all I just found this site and am hoping to get some insight as to my oil pressure issue. I just purchased a "01" Durango SLT PLUS 5.9L 4X4, with every available option, the truck has 46,500 miles runs and drives like a champ. Here is my issue. When the truck gets to its normal operating temp, while idling, my oil pressure gauge drops to the low line, not to zero but to the line right before entering the low zone,it does this anytime the truck is warm and at idle. I can be in park or drive, it will do it in both. After taking off again it goes right back up to smack dab in the middle were it should be, stop again, it falls again and so on and so forth. Is this normal for the 360 motor? Thanks for any help!
  • carlrjrcarlrjr Member Posts: 35
    Fortunately, chastamae, "low" isn't dangerous. At idle, there is no load on the engine, so the oil flowing at low pressure is more than enough to prevent damage.

Change the oil and filter and see if that helps.

As long as the pressure stays within operating range, there's nothing to worry about.

If the pressure drops below operating range at any temperature for more than several seconds, get professional help.
    Thanks for the response Carl,

I understand the fact that low isn't dangerous, but is it "NORMAL" does it happen to the majority of 5.9'S. I spoke with the Service Mgr, where I purchased the truck and he told me that it is "normal", however while looking at several durango's on ebay some with the 5.9 and some with the 5.2 the photo's they show of the gauges while the truck is warm and running, none showed the oil pressure low, they all registered in or really close to the middle, that is what has me concerned.
  • bmaierbmaier Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone pursued further reimbursement with dealers or manufacturer for the ball joint/front end problems? The recall on the upper ball joints is insufficient, especially when at the same time the mechanics say the lower ball joints and tie rod ends are 'gone' and vehicle should not be driven too far, too long. And also when the dealer's service manager admits to what amounts to a design flaw ie. suspension parts too light duty for the size and weight of vehicle. Dealer has offered a slight reduction in the $945 repair quote. Is this the best I can expect? Anyone had better luck getting these repairs covered by dealer or manufacturer?
    Purchased my D less than a week ago "01" 5.9 L 46,500 MILES SLT PLUS every available option, after having it for a couple days, I noticed that the oil gauge would drop to the low line when the motor was warm and while it was at idle. Been told by several people not a big deal. I checked the oil the other day and it was over a quart "HIGH" I drained out approx. a quart and got it within specs. Put maybe 50 miles on it since then, decided to check it again..HIGH AGAIN!, drained out another quart. Called the dealer from which I bought it and took it into them today, they just called and said everything was fine. I went and picked it up drove it home and seems fine. After coming home I got a wild hair and decided to screen the oil I had removed..WALA!!..metal shavings and a small piece of metal, when I say small I mean like the size of a ant. The oil smells like gasoline as well..Maybe that is why my overhead says I am only gEt 9.6 miles a gallon.. WHAT DO I DO NOW?? THANKS ALAN
  • omayagomayag Member Posts: 1
    I have an 01 Durango SLT with the 5.9L. Bought it new in Dec. 2000. Gas mileage - 12/city and 17/hiway. This is our 5th Chrysler product and we will never buy another one. Had 3 vans and a Dakota. Out of all of these, the 1992 van and 1999 Dakota have had minimal problems.

My Durango, which is not worth half of what I paid for it by the way, is a piece. The day before I was to move out of state, my transmission went out at 32,000 miles. At 35,000 miles, the bearings in the Transfer Case were worn and replaced. The actual problem was the bearings in the Differential were bad and they were replaced. They couldn't figure out where the noise was coming from. I also have a clunking in the front end when turning, which is now being recalled (the ball joints). The rotors are worn and need to be replaced, of course this is notorious for Chrysler. Now i'm waiting for the engine to blow. My oil gauge is playing up and down and other searches on the web indicate that is leading to the engine blowing.

The Durangos and Dakotas have similar problems, i.e., bearings, catalytic converter, etc., and the dealers all know this because they have to be changed whenever one is traded in.

I will never buy another Chrysler product and will suggest this to anybody I meet. Chrysler uses sub par parts and they know it (I know a guy that works for Chrysler). Out of 5 people I know that have owned or still own a Durango 99-03, they all have had problems.
  • dodge durangododge durango Member Posts: 1
    My Durango is new only 400 miles on it and it has been to the shop plenty, for a vibration a door adjustment and the transmission shifts are messed up and I take it to the shop they tell me that there is no adjustment on it to help sometimes it bucks like I have a clutch from take off and going up a hill I give it gas and it sometimes will not take the gas, the RPMs drop down and it feels at anytime It may roll back and when it does finally shift down the RPM gauge shoots up as if it just broke loose

The dealership said they know there is a problem with the V-6 in the new Durangos but at this time there is nothing they can do to help this problem until several complaints from techs and how many they get and how many report it as a problem. So until then they are sorry but their hands are tied. The dealership is trying to get me to trade it back in with a loss and get a V8 instead of a V6 because the others at there also do the same thing and they wont refund my money and I really dont want to spend more money to get another Durango I want mine fixed. Is anyone else having any vibration problem or transmission problems that cant be fixed? I called Chrysler Consumer services and they did not help they told me to talk it to a different dealership to be worked on, just what I really wanted to do!!!!!!!!! I am so upset about this new Durango so be sure to be aware of the new 2005 Durangos it starts up about a day after you get it and drive it around. Any suggestion on what I can do to get this problem fixed
  • kelfamkelfam Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 01 durango as a tow vehicle. vehicle did not have tow package as told to me other than a hitch. The vehicle will tow car trailer and corvette (race). Vehicle will also be driven in cool weather, northern Illinois. Question: Should I run tarns lines directly to new cooler or one line to cooler then back into rad., making a loop back to tarns?
  • rrredramrrredram Member Posts: 4
    Take it right back to the dealer while driving it as little as possible. I hope you got some sort of a warranty.

My guess is a injector is stuck, and so much gas is running down a cylinder wall that it runs past the rings into the oilpan. Gas in the oil does 2 things, it dilutes the oil so it doesn't lubricate (so the bearing wear real fast - i.e. probably your metal shavings) and if your get enough I have seen an engine ignite the oil (i.e. a small exlosion that will blow a hole in either the oil pan or the block).

Good Luck.
  • rrredramrrredram Member Posts: 4
    My Yakima rack on my 2004 Durango is doing the same thing. Did you ever find a way to stop the wind noise. I don't really want a fairing, but will if that helps.
  • raiders63raiders63 Member Posts: 8
    Interesting comment. I love my Durango, have no DVD, don't drink big gulps. I do use my to get to/from backpacking trips, take my kayaks to the river, take my mountain bike to some nice off-road courses. If that qualifies me as a Klump, so be it.
  • sandford1sandford1 Member Posts: 3
    I'm a student doing some research about chrome clad. I was wondering if there is any way I could get a copy of that video. Thanks
  • babyjackybabyjacky Member Posts: 1
    last summer on long trips about an hour of highiway driving the durango would start running hot then overheat so winter came and the problem went away i figured it was the thermostat before moving from ny to montana i replaced the thermostat while in pennsylvania it started heating up going up hill then cooling on the way down it was also 30 and snowing the problem got worse that ihad to pull over to let it cool in iowa we stopped at a dealership to check it out the fan clutch was working ac fan was working it was pressure tested that was ok coolant level was ok so the dealership thought that maybe it was because of the trailer we were pulling so somebody else took the trailer and we continued the durango still was overheating now that we were in warmer temperature anybody have any ideas
  • dodgeballdodgeball Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Durango. Though I like most aspects of the vehicle (size, power, styling) I have had numerous problems since I purchased it. I didn't complain much because I bought it used for a good price. However, I began to get concerned after I heard the ball joint story on the news and then started surfing the web to see how many people were having problems. I have recently had the ball joints serviced so that's not a big deal anymore. What is more of a problem is the transmission. At 98,000 miles, the trans went out. Again, being a used vehicle, there is no telling how poorly it was maintained. I took it to a dealer (a reputable one) to have it rebuilt. After about 9 or 10 months, I noticed I could not switch to 4-wheel drive full-time (there was not much snow between the time I had it fixed and the first time I noticed the problem). At the same time, I learned that I the truck will not move at all when the wheels are cut all the way to either side (no power at all, as if the brakes are on). This makes it difficult to maneuver out of tight spaces. I have had the brakes checked. Aside from normal wear and tear, there was no link to this lack of power when the wheels are turned. Finally, about a month ago, I began hearing a rattling noise in low gear. I had a local mechanic (not a dealer) look at it and he suggested that it may be the trans (which is what I suspected). In addition, he told me that the dealer had not replaced all of the bolts in the crossmember and that two of the bolts on the passenger side were not tightened down completely (one was crossthreaded on an angle)!

Can anyone comment on the rattle in low gear, the lack of power when the wheels are turned, or the missing bolts in the crossmember? I'm 10 months into a 12 month warranty. What are my chances of getting this taken care of?
  • sandford1sandford1 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have the promo video that Dodge/Chrysler sent to dealers explaining the Chrome Clad wheel process? I'm a student doing some research, and it would be helpful to see, thanks
  • gregoryc1gregoryc1 Member Posts: 764
    Check your state's Lemon Law. If there is a problem with this vehicle, and the dealer can't fix the problem, your vehicle has "diminished valve". Follow the "Lemon Law Process" in your state. According to your posting, the dealer wants you to trade the vehicle, and purchase one of the V8 models, because all the V6 models have the same problem. QUESTIONS: ----- Why didn't the dealer / saleperson tell you that fact prior to purchasing this vehicle?---What makes you think that there isn't another issue with the V8 model? It might be a good idea to check with a "Lemon Law Attorney" in your state. The "Playing Field" becomes level, when the dealer sees that you are willing to spend some money to get your rights. Lots of luck! ---- Keep us informed about your situation. ----Greg
    Put your engine on a schedule of frequent oil and filter changes (every 2,000 miles), to be sure that you DO NOT have the start of a "sludge problem". Make sure that you are using the correct grade and weight of oil. Some synthetic oils will show low oil pressure at idle. Check under the "oil filler cap" for "sludge". If you have sludge starting, there is a product sold on the "net" that can clean the engine. Do a search. On older cars that had sludge problems, I would drain the oil, and fill the crankcase with five quarts of kerosine. (DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE with kerosine in the crankcase!). I would let the kerosine sit in the crankcase for a couple of days. The kerosine would soften the build-up in the oil pick up screen. After a couple of days, I would drain the kerosine and replace the oil and filter. I would then start the engine and let it run at idle. If the problem was the "pick-up screen", the kerosine usually solved the problem.
    Follow your "inner voice". It is telling you something!
    GREAT posting! The "truth" is the "truth" and nothing can change the "truth". We had a Jeep GC, (another Chrysler Product), that was "junk"! The vehicle had brake problems, electrical problems, suspension / steering problems, drive train problems and tire problems. Sound familiar?????????? YES, Chrysler "quality" is outstanding, and their customer relations is careing, sensitive and customer focused, as long as there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. I would NEVER purchase another Chrysler product!
    "It's now possible to retrofit a navigation system to your new Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep vehicle."

Mopar Introduces New Add-On Nav System for 2005 line (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • dbeltzdbeltz Member Posts: 1
    I had a probelm twice with mine and finally they put Dye in the AC and found where the problem was and it goes in tomorrow to be fixed new parts all the way through.

Dan
  • lexusrockslexusrocks Member Posts: 56
    Does anyone here think that Dodge should offer an SRT-8 version of the Durango SUV? I think so. The aggressive styling of a Dodge, coupled with the power of a HEMI and the roominess of a full size SUV should prove to be a very enticing vehicle.
  • cmfranccmfranc Member Posts: 1
    The other day the interior lights, the headlights, the back windshield wiper, my automatic door locks, and the lights which indicate if I am in 4WD or not in my Durango stopped working. I checked the fuses and switched them all around and it doesn't seem to fix the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to fix the problem?
  • rmanrman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 DD 5.9 Liter R/T 4x4 with 101K miles. Likewise for the past 10K miles I have experienced the same symptoms. Either in Cruise Control or constant steady application of the gas pedal (slightly more going up hills) the RPM will jump 300-500 RPMs. This happens at speeds of 65-70 Mph (approx. 2,000 RPM). I have had it back to dealers several times. They have put it on thrie computer and found everything normal. I wished I could help you but still are fighting the same problem. I hope that you might have some insight since your November 2004 posting.
  • slash1slash1 Member Posts: 2
    This is in response to #1419 from gregoryc1. I think my 2000 DD 4.7 SLT has the oil sludge problem you talked about. I changed the oil last week and just like you said, under the filler cap was a good amount of stuff that looked like tapioca pudding. Is this sludge? How does this develop? Do you know the name of the product I can use to get rid of it (would the local auto parts store have it)? I got as much as I could out with a screw driver and cloth. Is this stuff throughout my system?

Also, I need to change the rotors. I tried before and could not budge them (I had the center bolt off). Is there a hidden cotter pin or something locking them in place as a safety measure?

Lastly, after reading the posts, I feel lucky about my Durango. 4 wheel drive still intact, motor runs good, only minor problems. I have 80000 miles on it and it needs to last till 120000. Hope it does. I cant afford a replacement (yep still making payments). I dont know why car companies dont put the highest quality parts in their cars. If we had to pay $3,000 more for a vehicle that would hold up in terms of quality, they would have a huge loyalty base. But what do I know. Any help on my issues is greatly appreciated.
  • ocd1ocd1 Member Posts: 4
    Hello everyone,
    I have a quick question. First, I have a 2000 DD 4.7L with just over 100Kmi. overall it has been a good vehicle. However, now is the time to change the tires on it. I know what kind of tires I am going to replace the old Purellis'(31x10.5x15) with, but I was considering upgrading the 15" rims too. Whew!

Now for my question. IF, I decide to upgrade what is the largest size rims I could put on my D WITHOUT having to raise/lift it or anyother type of mods. I hope this is not too much of a loaded question. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks.
  • rtscarrierrtscarrier Member Posts: 1
    WE just had this problem with our Durango, we change the throttle positioning sensor it is 2 screws on the drivers side of the motor, $37.00 at NAPA and fixed the problem after a couple times of starting it, like it had to set its self. have had no problems since.
  • ybzybz Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I am looking to buy a 2005 Durango Limited with the third row seating and three seats in the middle row. Does anyone have any experience placing 2 child car seats next to each other in the middle second row. I would like to place one behind the front passenger and one in the middle seat in the 2nd middle row.
    Any input would help.
    Thanks,
    YBZ
  • _02durango__02durango_ Member Posts: 1
    My 02 Durango SXT Sport (52K) seems to have a clicking noise at startup. But it goes away after about 2-3 seconds.

Is this something with the oil distribution and valve lubrication?
    Can it harm the vehicle if it continues?
    Can I do something to make it stop?

Thanks for any suggestions!
  • jef5jef5 Member Posts: 1
    i just had my fuel tank replaced on my 2005 durango. i seem to have lost alot of power and the engine is running rough. has anyone else seen this problem.
  • tiger10tiger10 Member Posts: 46
    how come there is nothing nice about the DURANGO, it is one of the best SUVs out there, better than Ford, Chevy or GMC. :shades:
    I think some of it is human nature - if your ride is operating normally and you're not actively shopping for a new one, there's not as much motivation to post. It's great when we get posts that relate few problems in 50 or 100,000 miles or talk about how versatile their rig was on a recent vacation or move. Some don't want to brag on their ride because they're afraid they'll jinx it ;)

Steve, Host
  • bobbyspinabobbyspina Member Posts: 3
    what is the biggest tires i can put on my 1999 dodge durango with out the speedometer gettin messed up
  • usmc1usmc1 Member Posts: 2
    didn't read far enough to see if anyone has answered this one.....i had a 99 durango that i had 22" rims on. the tire size was 40/265 and i didn't have any trouble with rubbing or anything....now i have 2004 durango and the largest that i was told will fit is 22" again.....so i bought these and put these on and it looks like a 24 would have fit....
  • usmc1usmc1 Member Posts: 2
    in response to message 1435......you can go to 325customs.com and click the link for "wheel fitment" or something like that and it will pull up a thing for you to put in your stock wheel and tire size and new wheel and tire size and will allow you to play with tire sizes and tell you how your speedometer will read compared to actual speed.....hope this helps
  • wilsona1001wilsona1001 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 05 durango with 2200 miles. It is doing the exact same thing as yours. The check engine light comes on and when you about 15 miles an hour the transmission feels like it can't find a gear. Than the rpm's shoot way up and fall back down like the gas is turned off. The first time I took it in the service department told me that the computer lost it's mind. They reset it and it ran fine for about a week. The second time it done the same thing except they could not find anything wrong. It did it again last night and I had it towed in. I am going down to the dealership where I purchased and talk to them about the lemon law is South Carolina this morning. Will keep you posted!!!
  • coderedcodered Member Posts: 43
    hey,

i am looking to buy a 02' slt with a 4.7 2wd with 50k miles, i am wondering what the fuel economy is and if there is any problems with them? it has the mercedes engine in it if that helps any. i would appreciate any comments you have..

thanks
  • 04durangosucks04durangosucks Member Posts: 1
    In reply to #1430; We have an 04 DD and know 1st hand that we can't even fit 2 booster seats right next to each other, let alone car seats. The middle row, middle seat is very small. You're better off trying to fit the car seats behind driver & passenger, they fit well.

BEFORE YOU BUY...Hear my story:

Bought 04 DD SLT with 23 miles in Dec 03, 3 weeks b4 X-mas. Truck's FCM (front control module) went out after 6 days and was in the shop until after Christmas. Got it back, and 2 weeks later it wouldn't go more than 20 m.p.h., The fuel injectors needed to be replaced. To be fair, Dodge did compensate us with a free DVD system for being stranded twice in 6 weeks. :sick:

In between the day we bought it and today, we have had the driver's seatbelt cover replaced 5 times (it fell off once again and needs to be fixed...again) and the passenger's far right air vent replaced 3 times because they keep breaking (the truck is only 16 months old with 22 K miles). :mad:

In March this year, the FCM went out again, leaving us stranded once again and unable to go on spring break to Disney Land with the kids. :cry:

Now our truck is in the shop for the 3rd time since mid March for loud crunching and grinding noises heard and felt under the driver and passenger's feet. So far, they have rebuilt our whole front suspension and greased all the parts. They have had our truck almost 2 weeks (added up) and still can not find the problem. Believe me when I tell you that we wish we never bought this Durango. It literally feels like the axle is broken when you're driving and turning. It's always in the shop and we can not rely on it's performance.

I often wonder if we just got a "lemon" :lemon: from one of the first to roll off the production line, or is others are having similar dilemas. This truck was great...for 6 days...until it left us stranded for the first (but certainly not last) time. We had to purchase a used car as back-up, since our brand new truck is so unreliable.

On the plus, the new Durango is ultra roomy and comfortable. It drives very smooth (when it's working) and looks mean on the road. The DVD system is a life saver to this mom who is always on the go and a problem solver for the "are we there yets" so often heard by parents. Do all of these wonderful features outweigh the unreliability and frustration you may encounter as we have? You be the judge. For me, I'm avidly pursuing Chrysler under Lemon Law to buy back or replace (am I crazy?) our Durango.
  • prairiemikeprairiemike Member Posts: 4
    Well, here we go again. Had our 2000 SLT 4.7 (72,333 miles) at the dealer for routine maintenance back in January, including its first tuneup. Afterward, our average mileage dropped 1-2 mpg. It has slowly rebounded to what it was before, 14 city, 18-20 hwy. (synthetic oil, K&N air filter, and 2 psi over at all four corners)

The passenger side rear door lock began to buzz and stick shortly after the visit. That was a $191.00 fix. We took the Durango back this week because of a noise coming from the rear over bumpy roads. We were told that the leaf spring mount had broken and that we were very lucky that we didn't crash and burn. Parts for this estimated at just below $800, with a 3-4 day wait for parts. My question is: is this another one of those poor Durango design quirks that will nickel and dime you to death? Or is this common enough to earn recall status at some future date a la the ball joints? This Durango has only been "off-road" in my yard for washing/waxing.

Similar trips to the dealership has previously resulted in new unrelated problems cropping up almost instantly. At times it seems that the wagon is sabotaged when we take it in for service. I fully intend to ask for the damaged spring and mount for study by a metallurgist.

We were considering buying a new Durango later this year but will now look elsewhere.
  • kyrepomankyrepoman Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 dodge durango with 50,000 miles on it I know this sounds crazy
    but here goes when its cold out side around 20 to 25 degrees they all work but
    when gets warm nothing no tach no speed no gas no temp no oil changed
    cluster does same thing please help thanks :(:cry: :sick: any Ideas please e-mail me thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    any Ideas please e-mail me thanks

Please keep the discussion here so everyone benefits. To do otherwise defeats the purpose of a message board which is to share information, views and experiences.

tidester, host
This discussion has been closed.