Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Durango

Comments

• jnyk_78253jnyk_78253 Member Posts: 1
    Have had problems with hard braking and back wheels locking up after one rotation. Found out the back brakes were worn uneven and may have caused my drums to wear in an oval shape. Made sense to me since I'm not a mechanic. I looked at the rear brake pads and the pads to the front was half the size of the back pad. The front pads were worn (about half their life) and both rotors had a groove each. Had all of the brakes pads replaced and the drums and rotors serviced. Drove about 500 feet and slammed hard on the brakes and now I couldn't tell you which wheels locked up. A mechanic drove it today and said it could be the ABS module but won't until Friday (29 Apr 05) when his diagnostic equipment returns. Normal ABS light on startup but nothing else. Any help and assistance appreciated.
  • coderedcodered Member Posts: 43
    hey,

i am looking to buy a 02' slt with a 4.7 2wd with 50k miles, i am wondering what the fuel economy is and if there is any problems with them? it has the mercedes engine in it if that helps any. i would appreciate any comments you have..

thanks
  • gabbye12gabbye12 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2005 Dodge Durango 4x4 SLT, 5.7L HEMI Magnum a month ago and I absolutely LOVE this vehicle. It's all leather inside, has the sirius radio free for the first year, 6 CD changer, sunroof and is an absolutely beautiful vehicle. My durango is currently getting 18 mpg in the city. We haven't taken it on the highway yet. The 2005 Durango has a very classy look and is a dream to drive, very smooth and comfortable.
  • airbearmaairbearma Member Posts: 9
    I bought an 05 Durango Limited a few months ago and currently have 7000+ miles on it. I absolutely love it so far. I have had zero problems with it, my average gas milage is typically over 18mpg (15-16 city and 21-24 highway). It is very comfortable on short and long trips, fairly quiet overall and the stereo and climate system are killer. When I tow my 16 x 7 tandom axle enclosed trailer it is very smooth and responsive. I think Dodge hit a home run with the 2nd generation Durango.
  • elbitaelbita Member Posts: 1
    I've heard those cases before. I have a 2004 SLT DD w/ hemi
    have had countless, various problems with this car..too much to write. My question is to everyone, what kind of hell do you have to go thru to get your money back or a replacement? Has anyone EVER gotten either one? Ok, a new car with low miles SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY ISSUES!!!
  • bigmtnsnwbrdrbigmtnsnwbrdr Member Posts: 4
    My mom had a Dakota '98 and she had a bunch of problems. It was a random lemon. My dad has an 02 Durango 4.7 liter. It hasn't had one problem. They live in SW North Carolina up in the Appalachian Mtn. You see alot of mud up there too.. They tow three horses up a 3500 ft pass at the eastern continential divide called Standing Indian HWY 64. It is a friggen beast going up that pass. They have towed those horse all through the mudd up there as well..
  • fleedsfleeds Member Posts: 1
    The front blower on my 2000 Durango stopped working. I wired directly to the blower it works ok. I checked for blown fuses but couldn't find any. Does anyone know where the fuse is specific to the front blower? Inline fuse somewhere? The back blower works ok
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    Good to see a post from someone who tows with a new Durango; wondering if there is anyone who is towing 3000# or more with the 4.7 motor? I have narrowed the field to another Expedition, or a Durango. I'm also curious as to why the Durango forum has no "Problems & Solution" section- they can't be that trouble-free? I haven't owned a Chrysler product for over 20 years, just didn't like the quality issues, but the new Durango is enticing. It and the Expy are the only 2 SUV's that have the space, fold-flat 3rd seat (too bad the 4-Runner & Sequoia lack this), and stout body-on-frame construction with V8 power. Pathfinder is too small and Armada is loaded with problems. I don't like GM products. I really like the size and looks of the Durango, but very leery of potential problems. Any input appreciated!
  • nesafetynesafety Member Posts: 2
    Hi, new to the board. 03 SLT with a 4.7. I tow a landscaping trailer, 2 snowmobiles, a waverunner and a boat(that weighs over 4500) with the Durango. You feel the boat, but it still handles and pulls it just fine. Had a Rodeo before-and a Dakota for work. No comparison. It out tows both.
  • dacodaco Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 99 SLT and didn't realize that it may have originally been equipt with keyless entry and a security system. I thought the truck was locked and tried to open the rear deck door. The vehicle was locked but the rear deck opened and set off the horn alarm. The rear deck not locking is a separate problem, but can anyone tell me how I can tell for sure if my truck has keyless entry capability. When I bought it from the credit union ( it was a repo) it didn't come with a keyless entry fob.
    Thanks for the help,
    Daco
  • princeabubuprinceabubu Member Posts: 45
    We have had the Durango in the family for a little over a year now, and it has been just fine. a little over 11,000 on the ticker. Everything is going fine. It is unfortunate that some people on here are having such problems with their 04's. Ours has been just fine though. So, not every 04 Durango is flawed.
  • pghpa2pghpa2 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought '05 Durrango SLT - Hemi, Leather,Boards,rear AC, most options - has 20,000 miles was a fleet car - paid $24,000 and got Kelly Blue Book Trade-In for my '02 Mountaineer - only had it 2 days but love the truck - suprised how smooth riding it easy, very easy to drive , very quiet around town a little wind noise at 80 mph - Love the Hemi - pulls out great and passes at 65 without even working the engine- got the dark red (molton red) looks great shined-up - computer say 14 mpg so far - although I could probably do a little better once I get the fun of the hemi out of my system
  • speedtrapspeedtrap Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2004 Limited loaded. I LOVE the truck and everything has been great. (hopefully no jinx will come)
    I am hoping someone can help me though, I have the factory installed DVD System. My son broke one of the headsets. :cry: Does anyone know where I can get one without shelling out the big bucks the dealers are asking for?? Any advise would be greatly appreciated...
  • avanti63avanti63 Member Posts: 2
    I have an '04 Hemi Durango Limited. On Friday, I turned the vehicle off, but 30 minutes later, it would not start. Lights, radio, etc., were fine, but turning the key to "start" produced nothing, like a bad starter solenoid. I used another car for the weekend, but on Monday, the Durango started right up. Are there any service advisories for this problem? If I take it back to the dealer, they'll think that I'm crazy.
    BTW, the truck has the following mods: Jet Performance Chip, K & N filter, Airaid Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust, S.S. tube grill, chrome door handles.
    Now has 25,000 miles, using only Amsoil 0W30 synthetic oil and Amsoil filter.
  • avanti63avanti63 Member Posts: 2
    I have seen the headsets on Ebay from time to time, but there are none right now. Check Ebay weekly, you'll eventually find them.
  • gill901gill901 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Dodge Durango, recently out of warranty. The engine light appeared and then went off about 2 days later. Ran the diagnostics once at the dealership ($50!) and they found nothing wrong. The service man said it may have been the gas cap. Since then I have filled up with gas again and the light is on again. Checked the gas cap and its on as tight as it will go! Any other ideas? How would you ever know if you have a legitimate engine problem if the light appears for something like this?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe the gas cap itself is bad.

Instead of paying the dealer $50, find an auto parts store that will read the codes for free (AutoZone and Schucks do it around here).

Steve, Host
    We have AutoZone. I'll go there. Think its time to find independent servicing, anyway. Thanks!
  • sportymonksportymonk Member Posts: 258
    Have looked at Honda Pilot but a little small and there are some issues there. Considering also a Dodge Durango or a Jeep Cherokee. Want V-6 with 2WD but 4WD ok.

Need room for family of four with luggage and two beagles. Want to tow around 5000 pounds. Would like 19 city / 23 hwy.

Last Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth was an 84 Plymouth Voyager. POC! :cry: :lemon: Engine almost self destructed at 7000 miles. Many problems but am finally warming back up to Chrysler; son has a 04 Dodge Neon SXT and it seems ok.
  • flagg1flagg1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Dodge SLT, 5.2 and eveything Spring I have to take it to the dealer and he replaces a sensor switch for the AC.

It amazes and frustrates me that this is not a recall and has not been fixed. I own it, it has 74k miles and now it has begun to burn oil. I was hoping to find a leak, but no luck. I have begun to look for a replacement, but do to the fact that Dodge does not focus on the details, like fixing known issues, I will be looking elsewhere. Other items like ball joints I had replaced under the warranty when I heard their was an issue.
  • reebeebeesreebeebees Member Posts: 1
    In response to #1356, I have exact same problem. I was at the dealer and they aren't sure what it is. Did you solve your problem yet? Please post back so that I can let the dealer know exactly what the problem is. Thanks. The hissing noise only comes on over 1000 RPM and is alot louder after I take my foot off the gas peddle.
  • frankygfrankyg Member Posts: 32
    What kind of deal did you get? Any rebates or other incentives?
  • keejakeeja Member Posts: 1
    Hi, new to board. I have a 2004 Limited Durango which has been great until 2 days ago. I have 6500 miles on it and I was driving down the highway at about 70mph with both the front and back AC on high when suddenly my car died (no radio, turning signals or engine power). Luckily I was able to get to the shoulder with no problem and the car started right up again. We took it to the dealership and they ran a computer check and did not find any record of the incident. They updated the cars computer system at that time. Has any one else had this problem or any recommendations on what to look for? This makes me extremely nervous as we are planning a road trip later this month. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
  • greanbeengreanbeen Member Posts: 2
    I have been having the same problem. I went about 50 miles over on my oil change, and figured that was the problem, but again, the light came on. Due to time constrictions, and my own procrastination I haven't taken it in to the dealer, but the light has came on and off, several times within the last 8 months, and the truck is only 12 months old. Have you heard anything from anyone else on this?? :confuse:
  • greanbeengreanbeen Member Posts: 2
    Wow, I think I'm having some of the same problems as you. I've noticed that sometimes when I break, I can feel a thumping or grinding noise under the break pedal. Also, both of the seat belt covers on my two front seats, have cracked and fallen off, was that what happened to yours? The covers are made of plastic, so I can understand wear and tear, but I'm not a large person, and I've only had my truck for 12 months..

Also, twice in the last two weeks, my truck has spun out. I've either been turning, or coming out of a turn, not at high rate of speed, and my two back tires have just went sliding. Both times the truck went full circle, rocking.. Has this happened to anyone else, I have two little ones, and I now worry about there safety in the truck??? :confuse:
  • lczechlczech Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2001 Durango for my wife. We just brought it in for service because of squeaking in the rear of the vehicle. The dealer is telling me that the rear springs need to be replaced. I only have 34000 miles on the vehicle, this just doesn't make sense. Have you heard anything about this?
  • greg588greg588 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 Durango and I have had a problem with the engine light coming on about 2 years ago. Also the truck would stall sitting at a traffic light with my foot on the brake if I didn't have the ac on to boost the idle. Every time I would take it to the dealer, by the time I could get an appointment and get it in , the light would go off . Then service would say, "Well the computer dosen't show a code , so bring it back when the light is on again." they did this till the warranty ran out. I took it to a new dealership 6 months ago because the light was on again , and after 2 trips back to the service center and $2300.00 later, the light was off. multiple vacum hose were cracked, needed to clean the intake system & replace a pump. none of this was covered since the warranty had expired. now the light is on again with the same code showing. Lets see what it needs this time.
  • hemihawk1hemihawk1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 Durango SLT with the 5.7 Hemi. At 8,000 miles, the driver's seat squeaks and it has nothing to do with the driver's weight! Has anyone else experienced this annoyance and did the dealerships have any suggestions or were they able to fix it?

Also, until the engine fully warms up, I notice a single tick sound maybe every 15-20 seconds. It sounds just like the noise the air conditioning unit would make as it cycles on and off or like the sounds the exhaust system makes after the engine is shut off. I don't think it's valve lifters or other items I've seen on this forum. Has anyone else had similar experiences and what did the dealers have to say? Just trying to get my ducks in a row before the dealer tells me it's normal. Thanks.
  • hemihawk1hemihawk1 Member Posts: 3
    I haven't taken it to the dealer yet. I have a couple other things that need attention and hopefully they can address all at once. It appears to be related to engine speed and I doubt it has anything to do with the cooling system. It is hard to see if anything is disconnected around the engine so I am guessing it is something under the dash.
  • mauricecanmauricecan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 00 SLT 4x4 , 4.7 loaded and log every tank of gas. Over 61,000 miles the grand total all around average is 13.65 mpg. This is the real deal.
  • stegsteg Member Posts: 1
    I have recently noticed two problems not obviously related. First when driving over 30mph the emergengy warning bell goes into a spuratice frenzy. Its not consistent but goes off for days. during the time this happens the door locks do not work. Second whether the warning bell problem is active or not if you turn the wipers to the first notch the door locks go on and off.

Its driving me crazy and am afraid of getting robbed by the dealer again. Can anyone suggest a troubleshooting direction? I did what the dealers service guy suggested by unplugging fuses until the bell stopped and couldn't find a fuse that changed the problem(Big help there)...

Thanks..
  • sanidansanidan Member Posts: 1
    I bought my '04 SLT last Thursday, and I asked lots of questions from the service department. One thing they said about erratic behavior like you mentioned is the possible effects of aftermarket mods. Have you checked with dealer service department about what happened?
    Except for the comment from greg588, no other responses. What I finally did was buy a new gas cap. The light went on one more time after that so I stopped by AutoZone again. The diagnostic message was the same - small leak? But the fellow at AutoZone said it may be vacuum hoses, like greg588. Since then, went on a 1400 mile road trip and the light has not come on again. However, thinking of trading this one off anyway. Gas is just too expensive!
  • racing09racing09 Member Posts: 2
    I have had the same problem with my 2004 Hemi Durango. The first time I took it to the dealership and they kept it overnight. They could not recreate the problem and sent it back home. It continued to intermitently not start. I took it back in and they discovered a technical service bulletin and reprogrammed the front control module. It again continued to not start on occassion. I took it to a different dealership and they also reprogrammed the front control module. I am still having problems with it not starting. If I cut the key all the way off and remove the key, it will usually start right up. Also, you can give it gas and it will start. The TSB is 0802404. Please let me know if you have any luck with getting this resolved. I am on my fourth attempt to correct the problem.
  • racing09racing09 Member Posts: 2
    Today I got into my 2004 Durango but the air conditioning would only blow hot air after 10 minutes of driving. At that point, I turned the air conditioning off. I stopped my vehicle for about 15 minutes and when I restarted the vehicle the air conditioner was working. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
  • andersjdandersjd Member Posts: 1
    My light is coming on and when taking to Autozone, the Code showed that there was a problem with the Power steering pressure valve. Does anyone know what the problem could be or should I get it checked out. Thanks
  • jimqjimq Member Posts: 14
    This is a known issue with the Durangos equipped with the 5.7 Hemi covered by TSB 24-006-05. The repair involves replacing the electric coolong fan, shroud and expansion valve. Also the PCM needs to be selectively erased and reprogranned.
    Be aware that there is a national back order on the parts.
  • autosearch2autosearch2 Member Posts: 2
    Am considering purchasing a 2005 Durango, LMTd, with Hemi engine.

Trading 4-door F150 mainly because want more room for passengers AND ability to tow. Once a month or so I tow a bumper pull aluminum & steel 2-horse trailer.

Anyone out there with comments/input on how Durango w/ Hemi tows?

IS the HEMI that big of a deal, or is it just as some have said in this venue just something Dodge is pushing as big deal?

Also, has Dodge made improvements in 2005 models to address ball joint safety and other safety issues that were part of previous models?

Thanks for any input! Trying to make an informed decision in G-town! MBB
  • kyle6kyle6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 5.9 Durango R/T and have loved everything about it, (except the gas mileage), up until last night. All of a sudden it will not start while in park so I have to switch to neutral to get it running. Does anyone know what could be causing this, is it a common problem and how much can I expect to spend to get it fixed? :sick:
  • mauisunsetmauisunset Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem at about the same # of miles.
    My 2004 Limited was in the shop for nearly two weeks. After a couple visits by the local factory tech, he finally told the dealer wrenches to trace and check EVERY single wiring harness and connector in the engine compartment.

Guess what? It was a partially connected harness connector. Apparently one of the connectors was "electrically" connected but the physical connection was loose. Over time the electrical connection got less and less over time and I was getting intermittent connections which resulted in what you saw.

Unfortunately I can't tell you which connector it was.

-K
  • mauisunsetmauisunset Member Posts: 2
    Wow, you're getting 18 mpg in the city? Is that from the car computer or is that hand calculated? My 2004 Limited w/Hemi only gets 13 city (mixed street/expressway, and a tiny bit of freeway) and up to 20 highway (flats, less than 70 mph). However that's using the car computer - I did the math with a calculator and the car computer seems to be over generous by at least 1 mpg over actual.

-K
  • fozzy3fozzy3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I am new to the board..I have owned a 2001 DD for about 2.5 years and have had a few small problems with it...1. rear heat went out(covered under warranty), 2. Rotors had to be turned (twice) and 3. Ball Joints replaced (recall) with 70,000 other than that I loved it so much I traded it in for a used 2004 with 10,000 miles on it. :)
    Now to my question I have a friend that has a Denali and wants to sell me the rims and tires which I think would like great on my DD but I don't know if they will fit due to the bolt pattern? Since she is over 200 miles away I don't have the luxury of having a test fit. Any ideas on if the GMC wheels will fit a Dodge?
  • hemijeffhemijeff Member Posts: 1
    MBB;
    We haul a 27 ft travel trailer with a hemi powered Durango. It does a really great job for us and gets reasonable gas mileage pulling the 5500 lbs as well (12.) We are pushing the edge of optimum wheelbase vs trailer length where I would suspect you would not be. We use a reese weight distributing hitch and a reese friction anit- sway.
    Good luck!
  • autosearch2autosearch2 Member Posts: 2
    Hemijeff - thanks so much for your input. Finalized purchase of Durango yesterday! Think I got a good deal, and am really enjoying driving it. Looking forward to my first trailering outing too. Thanks again. MBB
  • dave427dave427 Member Posts: 1
    help! I have a 2000 durango, 4.7 liter 4x4. It was stolen and when recovered had a damaged engine. I did the swap myself after the insurance bought a new dodge long block assembly. The truck was running and driving when i pulled the old motor but after checking all my connections numerous times I still have no power to the spark plug coils. The crank trigger was already installed but i had to re-use the cam trigger. Dodge service said the pcm? may need something (i'm not sure what this is but i do know where it is) I'm a backyard guy and can't hook it up yo a computer to find out what's wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    thanx
  • rbestwickrbestwick Member Posts: 1
    I am going to pick up my 2004 Durango at 24,000 km service and also have warped rotors which dealer can not explain. Brake pads are not warn. Had to be replaced but not covered under warranty as beyond 20,000 kms.
    Any suggestions?
    Sincerely
  • diddid Member Posts: 2
    My car has been in the shop for WEEKS with this problem. They replaced those parts you mentioned, but air cond. is still not working properly. They said it shows up on the computer as nothing wrong. Any suggestions?
  • glassdoctorglassdoctor Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where I can find the fuse panel chart that labels what the circuits go to?

04 Durango

Unless I missed the obvious, it's not in the manual and it's not on the fuse box cover like most cars have.

Thanks

btw, I need to know which fuse goes to the trailer parking lights. The parking lights work on the vehicle but not on hte trailer and the trailer wiring is fine.
This discussion has been closed.