Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buying a used 5 Series

Comments

• gardisgardis Member Posts: 185
    I looked up that dealer rater site. I looked my dealer up. Many negative comments, that I really cannot agree with. Also, the glowing comments seem over the top to me. What's to stop a dealer from infiltrating that site and writing their own reviews? That's what I'm wondering. How can you trust it. Some of the comments seem genuine however. Nonetheless, very interesting site.
    I just heard from my dealer. I am looking at this 2007 530i. I want to pay half in cash, and finance the rest. I filled out the credit app just for the heck of it, I just heard from the dealer: 7.39% BMW financing. He didnt' shop it around the commercial banks, but said it might come in a little less, in the sixes. He suggested I hold the car with a deposit, and wait until first week February when the new rates come out. They might do a program on the 07's. I might do that, any thoughts? It's not going to stop me from buying the car in any case.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Considering most credit unions offer 4.90% for 5 year used car loans, that rate sounds a bit excessive. Especially with half down. Google local lenders for rates and ask BMW to match. 7.39% is an out and out rip unless your credit score is low.
  • chintchint Member Posts: 30
    The following are BMW financials rates

Score > 740 5.88% for 60 months
    between739 - 700 6.25 %

and it goes on all the way to 8 %
  • bavarian08bavarian08 Member Posts: 3
    Hi there..I am planning to buy/lease a BMW 5 Series 2008. Any useful advice would be appreciated. I saw a 2008 528i with 10k miles ( I was told this was a loaner car) and so technically still owned by the dealership. They are doing a 2.9% APR thru BMW financing.

MSRP: $ 45,425.00
    Discount: $ 5,694.00
    Selling price: $ 39,731.00

with 5k downpayment, for a 60 month term, monthly payments are $650.00, all taxes and misc included.
    Do I negotiate further? Thx.

Also any views on Service Loaner/Demo cars Vs. Certified Pre-owned??
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    Doesn't look like it is even close to a good deal. You could add couple of grand a pick up a new one. New ones are going at invoice as most others have reported esp. the 528.
  • bavarian08bavarian08 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your input. I will reconsider this deal and wait.
  • blhblh Member Posts: 18
    Hi All,

I'm looking at a 2006 530XI White exterior and Auburn interior 530XI Cold, Premium and Sport package. Asking 29,800 with only 15,000 miles.

I have not looked at the car and not sure if I can get past the redish interior.
    trying to find a better pix of the auburn reddish interior anyone seen this or living with this color if so does the color hold up ?
    There are color combos in all car lines that are unpopular. They usually sell for less than the popular combos. This interior may be a harder sell. Make sure you like it before you buy.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    White with Auburn?

Sounds like a great combo to me! I love the Auburn interior... White is fairly rare on a 5-series...

Don't have a pic for you, though.. There is no substitute for seeing it in person..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Is the car a CPO ?

Thanks
    Hi Guys,

No its $28,900 I'm very interested though my wife wants me to wait ti the spring so she can get used to driving my Jeep 05' .

the 530xi lookd very clean an I have two Independent BMW service groups that I can bring it to.
    Hey kyfdx,

Yes I've seen a few more pix of the interior now, and it appears to be more on the brownish side not too red which is very appealing I thing. Your right too on not seeing any 530XI in white.
  • atodd3atodd3 Member Posts: 4
    Looking for some advice and appreciative of your comments...my very faithful 10 yr old Maxima SE with 205k miles on it has, finally, come to the end of its roadlife. Looking for a used entry level luxury...I drive 30k mi per year to and from the office so want something reliable but at same time, something I want to spend time in. Pretty focused on an '06 3series but, in shopping, have come across an '04 525i at a highly rated BMW dealer. Black w/beige leather, manual, prem and cold pkg's, 35k miles...priced at $20,995, have negotiated to $19,995 but hoping I can get it for $19k. Comes w/extended warranty of 100k mi or thru Nov 2011.

I am nervous about lack of awd here in New England...would appreciate thoughts on that, too.

Any/all comments are greatly appreciated as I need to pull the trigger on something this weekend...thanks in advance.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    I am nervous about lack of awd here in New England...would appreciate thoughts on that, too.

Get a set of winter tires/wheels and swap them out at the beginning and end of winter. That's worked fine for me on both a 3 Series and a 5 Series.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• atodd3atodd3 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for response re winter tires/wheels...what would a decent set cost?

Any comments on car as described and price I'm looking at?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    Probably $1000-$1200..

Check on Tirerack.com for packages that fit the car..

Don't be turned off by the price... Every mile that you put on the winter tires saves mileage on your other tires... and buying the wheels means you don't have to pay to have the tires mounted and balanced, twice yearly...

So... the running cost is lower than the initial outlay..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• lynn37lynn37 Member Posts: 8
    Is the 07 530 a CPO? I looked it up kbb (kelley blue book) value. It is very close to private trade in excellent condition.
    Guys
    have a hypothetical question. I saw a nice 5 series 2007 530i at an Infiniti dealer in Greenwich CT. Price was lower than what my dealers are asking. When I questioned him about it, he said, "but that's not a CPO vehicle" which probably was correct if it was being sold by Infiniti.
    My question, how does the warranty apply on that vehicle? IF the underlying warranty runs 6 years, then wouldn't that car also be covered by the warranty even though it's not a CPO vehicle? I would think so. How can they not cover their warranty?

Anyway, I"m not buying it because I didnt' like the color, but what if the color was nice, would I be out of warranty protection? Thanks.
    The standard BMW warranty runs for four years from the in-service date or 50,000 miles. The BMW CPO warranty extends coverage on most mager systems a further two years and 50,000 miles. Either warranty can be transferred at no additional cost.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Hi All,

Anyone have any dealings with this group?
  • flyingdoc57flyingdoc57 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a 2007 530i with 14000 miles at BMW dealership. It has the premium and sport packages, automatic (steptronic) transmission, as well as electric rear window shade and rear side window shades. No nav system. It's in superb condition, with new-car smell and all, and the CPO warranty is good through February of 2013, but I think the asking price is way to high. I sure would like some guidance. The car is in St. Petersburg, Florida. The dealership is asking $ 38,990.00. I'm thinking about offering $ 36,000.00. Any opinions?
    My local(Louisville, KY) dealer has a beautiful CPO 2007 550i with 29,397 miles on it for $35,950.

flyingdoc,
    I am also looking for a CPO 2007 530i, and I can tell you two cars I looked at:
    1. 28K miles, sports, premium, cold, nav asking $34,900, dropped it to $32,900 and the car sold before I could get there with the deposit. Black/Black. Car was impeccable.Warranty to Oct2012.
    2. White/Beige, premium, sports, no cold, 18K miles, went into service Apr08, which means warranty expires Apr 2014. Very unusual. They started $39,900, dropped it to $36,900, wouldn't negotiate, and the car sold. I'm kicking myself.
    Also impeccable.

Your price sounds very high to me. Tell them what you're willing to pay and be prepared to walk -- AND lose the vehicle. You can look on BMW USA website, search preowned, and get an idea of pricing.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A magazine reporter is interested in consumers who have purchased a used vehicle in the past few months. Please send your email address and phone number to jfallonedmunds.com by Wednesday, February 11, 2009, if you fit the bill.
    Guys,
    I'm being offered a nice 2007 5 series out of state (60 miles from my house).
    Does anyone have any experiences buying out of state? What are the advantages, disadvantages. I would have to service the car at one of my local BMW dealers, no question. But if there's a problem with the vehicle, are they going to approach it the same way as a dealer who sold the car?

Please advise, I hate to pass up this opportunity. Also, do sales taxes apply if the car is bought out of state? Years ago, we use to go shopping in NYC because we didnt' have to pay sales tax. I doubt that's the case any longer.

Gardis
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi Gardis,

You should also check out this discussion: Buying used cars from out of state.

Good luck!
  • addamsaddams Member Posts: 74
    As i've been reading most posts it seems not very many have bought a 535i. I've been looking to get an 08. Is there problems with them or is it just a model not everyone buys?
    That's true. I was looking at a beautiful 535i at Bridgeport CT dealer, 2008, had 28K miles on it, they started asking $42,995, then dropped now down to $38,995. Car looks impeccable, but as the salesman said to me, with two extra moving parts (the turbos) naturally there are more parts to have a problem with, as compared to the straight in line 6 cyl. engine. For me, that's just too high powered for me. I really don't know why BMW did that, given they have the 550 model also. That's why I'm going for a 2007 530i, I really don't want that huge engine.

Another reason you haven't seen too many CPO 535i, is because they just came out with that style in 2008, so the leases aren't coming back in yet.
    I recently pruchased a 07 530 with 16K miles for around 30K

It has prem pkg , steptronic , Sirius , no nav or sports .The car was very clean

I guess you should shoot for less than 35 K
    Hi All,

Does anyone have an idea if the used inventory dealers are hurting given the economy?

I can't find any info on BMW used sale figures.

Also I'm seeing that the inventory around the counrty is drying up for the 5series. autotrader.com

Maybe the Presidents sales are working.

I need to wait till spring before I pull the trigger. hope more inventory shows up 06' 07 530xi or 530ixt

Comments anyone?

Regards,

Brian
    Check cars.com -- 649 530's 06/07's cpo from $24900-$46988 nationwide.
    Hi jayrider,

You're right, quit a few out there. My mistake, I was looking for a specific package 2006, 2007 530xi premium,cold,sport.

More difficult to find hope to see more comming off lease. I see in the lease section people are talking about March, April lease cars finishing up.

I have time to wait till spring anyway.

Thanks for the info.

Regards,

Brian
    Hi All,

Our roads in northern new england are terrible with pot holes coming this spring and highway paving and what not really scare me from buying a BMW.

I see alot of BMW's on 93 and 128 so they can't all be getting flats and losing wheels.

Any comments and experiences??

Regards,

Brian
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    For my SP equipped 530i all I did was invest in a set of winter wheels and tires. The set was lower profile (16" vs. 17") and was far more tolerant of road surface irregularities compared to the low(er) profile SP tires. The winter set not only helped prevent me from destroying a tire and one of the beautiful 2-Piece Type 42 rims, but the wear and tear on the summer set was so reduced that I didn't need to buy new tires for way longer than I otherwise would have. Then there is the fact that winter tires offer far superior surface traction capabilities compared to the OEM rubber.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • croni003croni003 Member Posts: 14
    Hi Brian,
    I picked up a used 07 530i last month in San Diego. I love the car and was back at the dealership the other day to pick up a manual. The lease manager (a friend of mine) told me that the car I obtained in december 08 was now going for approx 10% more at wholesale. His reasoning was that the economy has taken pressure off the new car market and switched many people to the used car market, thus increasing relative demand....

Not sure if this is true, but it may partial explain your experience.

Good luck,
    John
    Hi john,

Well isn't that just great so the regular guy like me who is trying to get into a " Driving Mechine" will still be getting screwed.

That's the way it is, enjoy your car I'm happy for you, as you smile every time you get behind the wheel !

Cheers,
    Brian
  • 32333233 Member Posts: 21
    Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy a 2005-2007 5 Series. 530i is my preference,as the 525/8 is underpowered and 545/50 slurps gas and costs too much. I'm looking to keep the price to the low 30's and under, which should be no problem after looking at Autotrader.

Earlier today I saw a 528i at a dealership that was equipped with the Sport Package. The seat was comfortable and supportive, more so than the standard one. I was most excited about the seat cushion extender though- I'm 6'2" and the longer cushion really made the seat more comfortable. I also saw (on bmwusa.com) a standalone option called Multicontour Seats. It sounded similar to the Sport seats, but I wasn't able to sit in a car equipped with multicontour seats so I couldn't compare them.

My main questions are, what is the difference between Sport and Multicontour Seats? Which is more comfortable? Which would be cheaper and/or easier to find in a used 5?

Thanks for your time!
  • ptchowptchow Member Posts: 14
    How much should I offer for a 2007 530i CPO that has NAV, comfort access, parking control, prem pkg, and cold weather pkg - with 40k miles? The dealer is asking for $33k.

Is the used car market really strong? i can't believe too many people are buying cars right now - new or used.
  • carbuff50carbuff50 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I purchased a 2006 530 CPO with 39000 miles, late Nov. for 29,200 - it has Prem./Sport/and is pretty well perfect. I took advantage of the first two months payments being made by BMW, then .09 financing, but paid off afterwards so the net cost was 27,400. I think that was pretty decent....most dealers I have noticed you just have to tell them what you will pay, tell them to call you if that works for them down the road, and be ready to walk. It all depends upon how important the sale is to them at that time. There are a lot of them coming off lease now....will always find the one you want so it can pay to be firm. Hope that helps!
  • ptchowptchow Member Posts: 14
    is $29,200 out the door or before fees and taxes? thanks for the information. it is very helpful to see what others are paying for a similar car. Thank you for your advice.
    Yes the used car market is going strong , read article below

http://www.newsweek.com/id/185461?GT1=43002

I believe you can get the price down by a maximum of 2000.

I purchased a 07 530 with 16 k miles 2 months ago for around 30K

The car has Prem Pkg , Steptronic , and satelite radio

I recently talked to my salesman and he said the prices have gone up since I purchased and the CPO cars have been flying off the lots
  • carbuff50carbuff50 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, yes the 29,200 was before tax and lic. but the two pay. by BMW took the net down to 27,400 before tax and lic.. That was a temp. deal and made it really attractive (wish they would have kept that one!) There are a lot out there right now as they come off leases...good luck, I am sure you will find the right one!!
    Is ur payment $900 a month ??
  • dwmorodwmoro Member Posts: 1
    I have a 525i 2003, what non-snow tires are recommended as best for performance driving?
    The Dunop Direzza Star Spec offers the best performance at a reasonable price- and it's also suitable for track days.

• bruinleebruinlee Member Posts: 3
    I am about to purchase '07 530i with 25k miles on it. The car has a prem pkg with Nav, but no sports pkg. My question to the forum is how important is a sports pkg to you guys? Also, the car is CPO and I think I could negotiate the price down to 31k from 31.8k advertised price. If it is CPO, how long it is covered under warranty. I am bit confused by it being a first time BMW buyer.

Thanks, :shades:

Bruinlee
  • kostiakostia Member Posts: 3
    I am thinking you can do better than 31K, but depends on a lot of other factors.
    CPO is up to 100K miles or 6 years from the date it went into service whichever is first.
  • arache97arache97 Member Posts: 20
    Hello guys/gals, looking at a the above CPO vehicle. Selling price is $28,495 with 40k miles. Am thinking of making an $25,000 offer. What do you guys think?
  • nibsnibs Member Posts: 65
    I have the comfort seats in my 06 530xit. Totally awesome seat. They adjust 20 different ways so I'm sure you will be comfy int them.