Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Lighting and Electrical Problems

Comments

• ssnbdr75ssnbdr75 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1996 dodge ram 3500 v10 with a utility bed. the tail lights keep shorting out. the fuse does not blow. i have checked all the grounds i can find and no luck.. you can kick the bumper and the tail lights/brake/reverse will flicker. this only happens when the marker or headlights are on. when they are off everything is fine. is it the headlight switch? is there more grounds somewhere? this is a pain, i can't drive it at night..
  • borrisborris Member Posts: 1
    did u find out the problem?
  • nocoram2500nocoram2500 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 99 2500 did you ever figure out what was wrong?
    :confuse: :confuse:
  • tkillentkillen Member Posts: 1
    hello, my dodge is doing the same thing now but this happens when I step on the gas. The interier lights, door locks and seat beat chim go off and on when I step on the gas. it seems to stop when I go faster. Any ideas how I can fix this?
  • wheels20wheels20 Member Posts: 3
    Shannon I too have a 2004 3500 (Dually) but mine is killing the bateries after a few days now.I have done the standard test light between the post and clamp and Im geting a small pulse draw and when I pull the stereo amplifier fuse(factory), the pulse goes faster and the test light gets brighter,like the draw gets greater. I used to own a shop 12 years ago and I was finding when people would wash thier engine compartment the wter would buid up in the conections and we would pull them apart blow them out real good put them all back together and WALLA,everything was fine!! So I hope that may help a little.
  • jackie2010jackie2010 Member Posts: 1
    My dodge cuts off at unexpected times in traffic of course and then won't start again for hours. It has a new fuel pump. Any one have a similar experience?
  • joshandramjoshandram Member Posts: 6
    i have a 99 dodge ram 1500 5.2 and it was running rough and i had taken it to a respected mechanic and it was pulling a cam /crank code and this how it went aand my thoughts about it .they called and said it was the computer wasnt putting correct voltage out here and there and was possibly shot due to a shorts or improper testing with a test light and it would cost 1081$.after installed didnt fix problem.then they said well the o2 sensors were shorted out and was blowing fuses and had already changed them out.note before asking promision to add this added expences.still didnt fix anything.opon my arival to visualy see what is going on.they showed me the crank sensor where it had damages on the side of it. note not the tip of it .like somthing had been grinding on it 2 seperate spots about a 3/16 of an " apart from each other and he had already taken it out and replaced it.then he told me that he took a scope and went down the crank sensor hole and seen that the flex plate had damages on the outside edges
    where there is small square holes around the outside of it.i told him just figure out whats making it missfire and act up on friday morning. well that weekend i come to my sences and monday morning i called to put a stop to it and they said that it was fixed that they dropped the trans and put a flex plate and changed the cam sensor and it runs perfect on friday after noon.but kept avoiding how much $ it was through the whole prosses and what the total amount was they told me i needed to go down there to talk to them about all that . ok my thuoghts .i replaced the crank sensor when i first got the truck and the old crankps has no damage on it like the one he showed me. if he said the comp was shot wouldnt you fix the shorted o2 sensors that were blowing fuses before you diagnose the comp was the problem?and can the flex plate with no cracks and little ware cause the engine to run awful. i seen the flex plate and wasnt damaged besides in the little square holes looked like somebody had used a flat head to
    turn the plate to access the bolts but wasnt but a 1/16 of a1" in one corner of each hole with small burs of metal sticking of the edges. it just dont sound like to me that those holes being so little of damaged caused my truck to missfire and run crappy.i also put a new cam ps in before its was serviced but they said they wasnt receving any signal from it so they replaced it.well now they have charged me 2353.00 and its way over my budget and feel like ive been bullshited and bent over . be honest whats your thoughts
  • shadetreeworkshadetreework Member Posts: 1
    Hi Jackie, I have the same problem except my truck is a '94. My engine quits without warning and in traffic that's a problem. The fault lasts for 2or 3 seconds while I roll on . Then I can restart. The diagnostic codes read !2 and 11( loss of battery voltage to the electronic control and loss of crankshaft position) . Did you get your problem fixed yet?
  • countryrelaxincountryrelaxin Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2010
    To start the radio popped, quit and came back on. Went out for good a week later. Fuses all good, OBD port is dead. Dome, hazards, head/park light all out unless ignition is on. Radio / clock still dead. Had fan wire recall fixed way back, but seen no issue with that wiring, as it had lighting issue at the time, park lights out all around, light module and fuse box base was replaced all same time, >2yrs ago. All good there now. Lighter and 12v power port ok. Figure it is a ground or 12v power wire somewhere. Turn on ignition, a relay (or something) pulls in and the lights will then work. Funny thing, red light for alarm which mine doesn't have sometimes flashes saying it sets up. Seen it on once. What would these share or where could I look? Seems to simple to have to go to shop.
    It also had the airbag light on prior awhile-my bad not to fix, and engine light for evap sys. Not sure if that means anything to this issue. Runs fine though.
    Update, found pink wire to radio/inst cluster/76pinconnector/under hood lamp not hot. Kills the dlc too. found no short. put a fuse jumper to it. Cleared to airbag light too. No dtc. My guess is its in the fuse box conn. That''ll be fun tracing this all out. The airbag light had been on, before rest quit. Why tie all this together, or is it? The light came on for the child/passenger disable switch too, so must be connected? Fuse for radio/instrument cluster, but the cluster always worked. Go figure.
  • deep6diverr1deep6diverr1 Member Posts: 1
    My head lamps went out tonight while I was driving, luckily I was only a couple blocks from my home so when I got to the house I checked the fuses and the fuses were not blown so I then checked the lights and neither of them are burnt out.. So I am thinking it may be a crossed wire or something... Any help will be greatly appreciated!

-Adam
  • kellym00kellym00 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Dodge 3500. I hooked a trailer on and all of a sudden, my blinkers and brake lights don't work. I have checked and replaced fuses, but they still don't work.....HELP!!!!!
  • drr3drr3 Member Posts: 1
    Check the iod fuse. I had the same problem, took some research to find it but that was the problem. Ended up using a meter and checked every fuse, that was the 1 that was bad replaced it and fixed the problem.
  • donge1donge1 Member Posts: 8
    2003 3500 dodge dually the battery goes dead after it runs for a little while, then the alterator gauge goes right down to 0, its ok for about 4 mins then slowly kills the battery ,, dead then a door nob ... changed alternator ..batteries looked for a dead ground cant find nothing ... .....what come on after motor is warm up, after a while is there something the motor has that would cause a dead ground ? help Im running out of money ... i only have one bullet to put this truck out of misery please help
  • bigriver5bigriver5 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500. Unsure of what do try next. My running, dash, and plate lights all went out and I can't figure out why. The fuses and bulbs are fine.
  • danrogers50danrogers50 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 2003 3500 4x4 6 speed manual trans. I'm wondering if you have found a solution to the problem. I put my truck in the shop and $3,000.00 later its still the same. boone1@wildblue.net
    My parking lamps went off and on, 2002Ram1500, but just them. In my case it was to be the lighting module, but it blew a new one, and then they changed the base of the fuse block. I had 12V at the lights too with them not actually on but should've been. Not sure this helps any.
  • james206james206 Member Posts: 1
    Wheels, I have a 2005 3500 that is doing the exact same thing however there is a pulse draw after start up that causes lights to dim and fan to slow. What is going on with this? After only 12 hours my batteries are dead. I had them benched and they were fine; had the alternator tested and it was good. Any ideas where I should start to isolate the problem?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The pulse draw you are noticing after start-up is the cycling of the grid heater and is completely normal. Your electrical drain is likely coming from a short that is drawing on the battery while the engine is off.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • cminceycmincey Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 98 Dodge Ram ! Did you figure out what the prblem was ? If so email me at clvfdcar21@yahoo.com
    there a break in the wire from the fuse box too lights I just use a new wire and ran it though myself to the back and front ,,get the color code from the dealer..
    dodge wire are famous for just breaking ,, i had four wire break
  • kohlbeckkohlbeck Member Posts: 1
    i know this is an old post but did you ever find a solution im at a loss trying to figure it out
  • cummins04tdcummins04td Member Posts: 1
    i have an 04 2500 quad cummins with same issue no speaker and no door lock on drivers side. but also my wipers only work with washer spray! no int. or low or high... anyone figure anything out on this consistant problem?
    the wire inside the jam are broken .... where the hinges are
  • chrisl1477chrisl1477 Member Posts: 2
    I am having an electrical issue. My odometer, shift indicator lights, stereo lights and overhead lights blink from bright to dim. On occasion my headlights (only headlights all other lights stay on) will blink on and off. It appears possibly when I go over bumps but have not been able to exactly pinpoint it to that. I have replaced the Front Control Module (FCM), the headlight switch and removed the entire fuse block sprayed it down then put it back in using electrical grease at all contact points and the same thing keeps occurring. Does anyone have any ideas or is anyone else experiencing the same problems. Thanks Chris
    Follow and in tape your wiring harness the wire breaks for your shifter check all wires on shifter to wire box. The wire is probally broken . Dodge got shity wiring and is too small Check where mud or debris will get into first cheers
  • kens999kens999 Member Posts: 7
    Hello,

I have a 98 Ram 1500 4x4 5.2L. I was parked on an incline, and after returning to my my Ram, it wouldnt start, only cranked and sputtered. I noticed when turning on the key, I did not hear the fuel pump pressurizing. I swapped around some fuses and relays in the Power Distribution Center, still no joy. After pushing the vehicle off to the side that was on abit of an incline, I turned the key and heard the fuel pump pressurize, so I cranked the starter and she started up. Any ideas on the cause of this issue? Any switches or connections I need to check? I would hate to get stuck somewhere again.

Thanks,
    Ken
    The line inside Uou tank may have a crack in it If it does it at certain fuel level try outing more fuel in the tank Also check for broken wires going to fuel pump
  • bwillardbwillard Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2000 2500 dodge diesel and the dome light stays on. I can pull the fuse and it goes off then replace the fuse and sometimes it works normal. Most of the time it comes on again. I was wondering of it is the central timer or something else. Thanks for all help.
    Check the door switch. It's not breaking circuit Remeber that it has a delay it should shut off in 3 mins or less
    the door switch is working. the light stays on even when the switch is on and the door is closed. the moldule is clicking when u push the jam switch.
    get a ford haahaha no just kidding ..not it could be the delay senser or my door was out of alinement it would turn off swicth .... did you get that swicth acutlly tested ... clicking dont count !
    I have a ford, dodge, buick,and 3 chevys. I unplugged both door switches and tested both of them. they worked. when the jam switches are mashed the relay inside the timer clicks. I guess i will order the timer tomarrow and cry if it doesnt fix my truck. Thanks.
  • kens999kens999 Member Posts: 7
    Pulled 12V connector at pump. Reading 11.8V and pump was not coming on. New fuel pump on order. Im replacing it the hard way, pull rear bumper and unbolt the bed.

Ken
    Check to if there s break in your power line from the front to back of tank Mine wire broke at the front where it connects to the fire wall Or run a new wire Make sure your pick up gas line is good inside of tank cheers
    the CTM didn't fix my interior lights. Does any one have any suggestions? HELP!
  • spanky_mcpspanky_mcp Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L 4x4

My right tail light socket housing keeps melting. I have replaced it three times and I now have LED bulbs in it to keep it from over heating. All of the bulbs work, but I have no rear turn signal on the right side. I have verified that the bulb that is in does in fact work.

Can anyone help?!!?
    I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L 4x4.

I was out yesterday and someone pulled up next to me and told me that all three of my brake lights were not functioning.

I replaced my brake light switch (easy fix) and checked all of my fuses with a fuse tester and still the lights don't work.

Can anyone help?
    I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 4x4.

The interior/dome lights work fine when I open either of the passenger side doors, but do not come on at all when opening the driver's side doors.

Any ideas?
  • dh56dh56 Member Posts: 7
    i have had this issue but, its not too harmful chances are that you will need a new alternator in the near future.
  • dh56dh56 Member Posts: 7
    ok guys, i was just speeking with a dodge tech and he said that if your instrument cluster has fouled up then the cluster control modual needs to be replaced and then your truck needs to be REFLASHED meening that it needs to be reprogramed. good luck
  • dgegirl84dgegirl84 Member Posts: 3
  • dgegirl84dgegirl84 Member Posts: 3
    only my rear left blinker works. my right low beam works. when i turn my high beams on only the left highbeam works. i have no 4 ways. and it only does it when it rains. my blinkers will blink inside the truck fast but not outside and my four ways only blink inside not outside. sometimes the truck will tell me that there is low washer fluid when it is full. please someone help me.....i checked all the bulbs individually and they all work....im guessing that theres a short or switch that i dont know about and/or havent found yet.
  • sundance69sundance69 Member Posts: 1
    My '02 Dodge Ram 1500 is doing the exact same thing, only it doesn't have to be raining, it does it constantly. Did you ever find out what was wrong?
  • djmacdjmac Member Posts: 1
    My problem is that the brake light are on all the time the engine is running. I changed the plunger switch under the dash near the steering column but they are still on. Any ideas?