Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Which New Budget Car Better? Fit/Yaris/Versa?

mugupomugupo Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Honda
This seem to be a good year to get a budge car and with good amount of useful techlogy for the bucks. I am excited of this new 3 car, although isn't new in world but is here afterall, which u think is best for buck? I think is Honda Fits cause it has higher seatig bigger inside same outside with better tech than the rest i think. Any opinion? I know Yari has best MPG in this categorie.

Comments

• navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Just so you know the names correctly, it's Fit, Yaris and Versa. I'd take the Versa or Fit, no way the Yaris. The styling is too round and cute for me. Plus I dont like center gauges.

I've sat in all three cars and it's a close call for me. The Fit is roomy, but the Versa has a higher interior IMO. The only good thing about the Yaris its comfortable and the controls are very simple.

For me:
    1. Fit
    2. Versa
    3. Yaris

Consider the Caliber too, it's a great car.
  • b3nutb3nut Member Posts: 83
    are the Scion xA and Kia Rio5 SX. The xA is a unique little hatch, feels pretty good on the road (even on the freeway, though it's not quite as smooth as longer-wheelbase vehicles, it's still better than my old Rabbit :D ). The xA's center-mounted guages are a bit of a turnoff, but I could tolerate it if I owned one, as dunderheaded as I think that idea is. The Kia really surprised me, I looked at and drove it as a lark and was really smitten with the car, I cannot believe how far up the ladder they've brought their quality (though being a part of Hyundai now has helped, CEO Mong-Koo Chung has been taking a take-no-prisoners approach to improvements). I went from being one who would never consider a Korean car to having the Rio5 at the top of my list. Both cars in automatic trim are rated at 38mpg on the highway, and are attractively-priced. The Rio5 is really smooth on the road and is quite fun for a cheap hatch. It shares mechanicals with the new '06 Hyundai Accent, which for '07 is arriving as a 3-door hatch. That'll be another good budget ride.

The Yaris is a bit wierd but will be a good seller I think. I didn't like the look of the Versa. I like the Fit except for its non-user-replaceable radio, a bad habit Honda has gotten into. They used to use proper DIN head units, now they've gotten into that proprietary garbage. I don't want to be locked into a factory head unit if I decide I don't like it or if it breaks, which they often do.

Todd in Beerbratistan
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    I think we should add the Aveo to this list, since it's currently the top seller in this segment, and has been redesigned for '07
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...for the '07 Aveo to make a real comparison. I haven't sat in the Versa. Of the two left, the Fit fits. The Caliber is cool - kind of a mini Magnum. Dig the drink cooler!
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    1. Fit - best value at $13K on up

1a. xA - honorable mention at $14K on up

2. Yaris - best value for $11K, Fit is nicer if you are spending $13,5 or more. Yaris is a bit too basic for those prices

3. Versa - Ugly, but more fuel-efficient than the Fit and has that 6-speed standard.

4. '07 Accent - sloppy shifter but good looks and value-packed as usual for a Hyundai. Best warranty, of course.

5. Aveo - bargain priced and looks and acts the part, but has optional equipment some of the others don't (an available moonroof? Separates it from the pack, except for the $15K version of the Accent).

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    They are all junk........

Rocky
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Okay then, what's your pick for best car under 2500 pounds?

Right now my pick is the same, since I'm waiting for a diesel to show up.
    bumpy, I can go under 1500 pounds :shades: with a brand new Lotus Elise/Sport Exige. ;)

"Ya'll" are going he's got a good point. :P J/K

Rocky
    Not in this country you can't. The US-spec Elise weighs more like 2000 pounds. At that point, I might as well get an AE86 or early Miata.
    Ok bumpy, your original weight was 2500, which the lotus still falls under. :P

We are finally getting some rain to put out these gosh darn grass fires that ya'll have seen on national news,
    God Bless :D

Rocky
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    goes to the Honda Fit. The Yaris is second, and the Versa is third.

The Accent would also be on my list, as would be the Scion xA.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    come ride in my junk car...you'll be impressed (or I'll scare you anyway...) ;)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    of the Scion xA. I finally test-drove a 2006 Polar White Scion xA with 5-speeds the other day. I liked it but, if really ready to buy, would absolutely have to drive the 2006 Kia Rio5 and 2006 Kia Rio LX sedan before making any kind of a decision. Small cars made these days are just plain smarter decisions to buy. With ghastly prices like they are it just makes sense. Plus they drive with authority, besides being small.

My son was along for the test drive with the salesman in the 2006 Scion xA, and I asked him if he was cramped in the back seat. He said that he absolutely was not cramped in the back seat, at all, even.

Small cars rule the automotive roost, men. I don't see how my eyes and noggin could ever, ever see it any other way.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

I wouldn't have the nerve to buy a Kia. I don't trust them and I'm counting on some equity after 5 years for a trade in. Who will want a 5 year old Kia?
    I think some people will want a 5 year old Kia. Five years from now, I don't think they will. As CCB-prone as I am (despite my best efforts to the contrary!), I need a car with superlative resale.

Was looking at used Minis the other day - TALK about superlative resale. Even the base Cooper is advertised at ridiculous prices.

The magic rear seat of the Fit sounds like it will make the car very versatile - waiting to see it in person - and it is likely that the Fit will have the best resale of this group.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

<<Who will want a 5 year old Kia?>>

Oh, someone will certainly want it, but possibly not for a whole lot of cash. Even so, the new Rio/Rio5 is a worthy contender in this segment. I just bought a Rio5 and so far am impressed and pleased with the car. I don't worry about resale since I'm keeping it until long after it's paid for, and will keep driving it until it ceases to be cost-beneficial to keep on the road. But anyone looking at cars in this segment should keep an open mind and go drive a Rio or Rio5, they've done a fine job with this vehicle. It's very smooth for its size and quite nimble. It's turning out to be a hot seller. Its sister the Hyundai Accent line is worth a look in this segment as well...they're built off a common platform.

Todd in Beerbratistan
    The Rio wagon prices out about $1,000 more than an exactly equipped xA and I don't see any advantage for the higher price, unless I'm missing something here.
    Actually, if you add the EP-10 alloys and the rear spoiler to the xA (at least the automatic, the way I priced them when I was looking) you're about even with the Rio5 with power package and automatic, since a small sort-of spoiler and 15" alloy rims are standard. Side and side-curtain airbags are standard on the Rio5 as well. The Rio5's cargo room is greater as well. Both are killer little cars, and the xA is a good platform for tricking-out if that's your thing. I would have likely bought one but my wife hated the look of the thing, so the Rio5 got the cut. I can't complain all in all, I do find the Rio5's look more appealing and prefer its dash layout. The xA has a better stock stereo, though.

Todd in Beerbratistan
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    ....with the Korean cars than with resale value. The Koreans have yet to prove than can do well with either, but reliability issues can make ownership long and grueling. I'd avoid the risk and just stick with the Japanese cars.
    since you brought up reliability here I must jump right in. Reliability on my 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 has been superlative. I have had one stranding offense and looking at it from a balanced, intelligent point of view, I don't see how someone could criticize Kia for what happened. Here's what part failed: my alternator.

Now, I am not an alternator expert. Driving to a mid-Missouri hospital for ever-more clinical Respiratory Therapist training in late-2004 at about 6:00AM my lights started dimming, headlight and dash lights. I knew what was going to happen and it did. The little SUV sputtered to the side of the road. I found a mechainc in the nearest oakie Missouri town that fixed me up for about $330, including a 10-mile tow.

My '01 Sportage 4x4 was at about the 88,000 mile mark at that time. Now, I don't hold that offense against Kia at all. I don't see how anybody could.

Here's what Kia has done for me lately. Besides selling me the nicest looking little SUV on the market, bar none, my Sportage 4x4 has 110,900 miles on it and the engine is purring like a Norwegian Forest Cat in the lush forest. I have not had one single lamp blowout of any kind yet. Not a headlamp, not a dash lamp bulb, not a side marker, not a taillight bulb, I have had a brake light switch go out a few weeks after the alternator, though.

What car or truck or minvan or SUV is perfect, though?

My Sportage's OEM Hankook SUV tires went 102,000 before replacement in late 2005 for some new Toyo's. Get this car nuts: my Hankook's were not totally dead yet when I swapped them out for the new Toyo's! These Kia's are solid, wonderful vehicles. My Sportage's motor will last for many, many, many more miles. I have the utmost respect for Kia Motors and their engineering department. Top-notch rigs for top-notch people. Simple, tried and true.

Oh, before I trade that Sporty in I will drive a 2006 Kia Rio LX and 2006 Kia Rio5 first. The car that is competing along with Kia for my dollar is the 2006 Scion xA in 5-speed form. There is a Polar White one with foglights and some nifty stereo i-Pod and MP3 upgrades factory-installed already at the nearest Scion dealer to me, Teton Scion, fifty miles to my north. I told them I like the car but want some shiny aftermarket rims. Instead of pushing the Scion EP-10 factory rims on me (the rims Scion sells to you by default that do look very nice on the rig)the Scion salesman offered to have me go down the street to Jack's Tire and Wheel and pick out wheels I liked. They would then have them installed and ready for me at pick-up time. I liked that answer, because they didn't push the Scion aftermarket accessories on me. Smart Scion salesman. Believe me, it is close between the Scion xA and the Kia Rio LX and Kia Rio5 for my next rig.

If ghastly prices start heading nastily upwards by say, 50 more cents to the gallon by April or May I'm making an executive decision, yes, pushing here at home for a trade-in immediately. Only if it's a trending ghastly pattern upwards. If it's a fluke, I'll hold with the Sportsman.

Automatic policy is installed, car nuts. :)

If I drove a Fit, where would I sit ? Mount the rear seat in the Trunk :surprise: :P

Rocky
    check them all out - I think you will find that these cars have a lot more room for large drivers of various proportions than you might expect.

• bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    ....we all know about your unwaivering love affair with Kias. I still say avoid the risk and stick with Japanese vehicles until the Koreans have proven they're in the same league reliability wise. So far, they haven't done that.
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    ...with these upcoming budget cars is that I find them boring in almost every respect. The styling is boring (especially on the Fit). With the small engines, driving them is going to be boring. I'm sure they're great little cars in terms of versatility and mileage, but I would be longing for other cars the day after I bought one. Like I said, this is my own personal problem with these cars, but then I'm probably not going to be the only one.
    They don't *have* to be boring, although some of them might indeed be...some of the most fun cars in the world to drive have small engines....

...with you. I especially like the Ford Reflex concept at the auto show. And although it's not a sub-compact, I think the Mazda3 is another good example of how these types of cars can be made more stylish.
    "I still say avoid the risk and stick with Japanese vehicles until the Koreans have proven they're in the same league reliability wise. So far, they haven't done that."

They may not be all the way there, but they're getting darn close. The Hyundai Elantra has a better-than-average CR reliability prediction for used and new, and the outgoing Accent for the past 3 years has a very good record, especially the drivetrain. I see no reason to believe that Hyundai/Kia has taken any backward steps, they're moving forward at an impressive pace with the rest of their line. I think the new Accent/Rio siblings will prove to be a very solid small car. So far so good with my Rio5, it's breaking in nicely. The Fit will certainly be the benchmark for refinement for this segment, but the Accent/Rio are no longer the penalty boxes/cars of last resort that they were previously. They're very tight little cars.

Todd in Beerbratistan
  • turboshadowturboshadow Member Posts: 338
    I think my choices would be:

1) Fit-because it is, specification-wise, very similar to my 89 Civic Si. I loved that car and kept it for eight years. I think I'd keep a Fit just as long, if not longer. It is much more versatile than the other two.

2) Versa-Good hp and a six speed, but doesn't have the Fit's versatility.

3) Yaris-Its only a two door and it has got that goofy center IP. I absolutely hate that.
    in the HATCH. Yes, there is also a four door sedan. But there is no 4-door hatch, despite a 5-door Yaris being sold in the ENTIRE REST of the world. That's because we have the nifty, youthful, ever-so-special Scion brand here, with it's xA to sub for a 5-door Yaris. :-P

And silliness aside, the xA makes for a compelling value equation. Me, I like the looks of the Yaris better.

but I still think a 5-door Yaris should have been an option as well, since some find the xA's look to be overly boxy (I don't, I think it's sharp, but what do I know hehe). The 3-door Yaris is cute, though. I just wish Toyota would get over that speedometer-in-the-middle silliness, it just looks wrong. The ugliest take on that mistake I've ever seen though was in the Nissan Quest...rode in a rental with the inlaws to Chicago once. YIKES what an ugly dash! :sick:

Todd in Beerbratistan
    on Toyota's website last night that I found encouraging - the ability to "build" a Yaris hatch with a package that added a tach! They had said previously that a tach was not available in the hatch at any price, and that is how the specs page reads, but unless that was a typo, it may actually be possible.

Of course, the tach is only in the fairly pricey power package. Still, that's an improvement. I prefer the Yaris just for the principle of owning a car that reaches 40 mpg on the EPA highway cycle, whatever that actually translates to in the real world (in my current car, that actually translates to 40 mpg in everyday driving).

if Toyota had brought over the 5-door hatch Yaris I may have considered straying over to the Toyota brand.

OTOH, what am I talking about, because I am one that does like the Scion xA's bodystyle. I have thoroughly reviewed it's corners and angles and curves and I find the little car very appealing. Whether my wife would like it or not is another question. Sound familiar, b3nut? ;)

We're a one-rig-at-a-time couple and she picked out the '01 Sportage 4x4 when I was going after the recently remodeled 2002 Kia Spectra. The first Kia Spectra sedan offered in the States was what I had researched for us.

The Sportage costs a couple grand more but she said she always wanted a Sportage so we collectively pulled the trigger on one. It's been a very nice rig for us.

But I spend a lot of time looking at new rigs and she doesn't. And the Sportage is at 110,000 miles, running great, so we're staying put for now.

I seriously don't know if she would dig the look of the Scion xA though. I have the Scion brochure I got after my test drive on our coffee table but she won't look at it. :surprise:

"Sound familiar, b3nut?"

Hehehehehe, yep! :D Gave my little Rio5 a bath and vacuum this morning, she's looking really sharp right now. :shades: We're going to haul butt to pay my little rig off so my wife can get a small SUV. She really digs the Nissan Xterra but she liked the little Sportage they had in the showroom when we were signing the paperwork for my Rio. If the little Rio holds up like I think it will maybe we'll end up with another Kia. ;)

Todd in Beerbratistan
    how about a budget mini-SUV or two? I was looking at the Tucson 4WD last night, and with the stick it is pretty well loaded for under $20K. The only thing I wonder about with the new Sportage/Tucson twins is the engine: a 2.0 pulling around that big a car? I think you probaby NEED the stick in that application. The auto must suffer.

It does have the advantage of being one of the few "cute utes" that you can get in 4WD with a stick.

so iluv: you wouldn't consider the Yaris sedan, huh?

I haven't totally X-ed it off of my further consideration, but, to me, it gives me the same impression as the same old Toyota Corolla look. When test driving the xA I even mentioned that to the Toyota/salesman and he agreed with me! Trying to be agreeable, that they will do. ;)

No, I do think that one gets a lot of nice car in the Yaris sedan for the money, though. Don't they run up to about $14,500 or $15,000 for a well-equipped one with a stick, nippon?

Yup, an 'S' with the power package (which is about as fully loaded as they go) is about $15,2. I guess the automatic would be $16K. I don't imagine they will sell many of those though.

I assume the next-gen Corolla will go upmarket a year from now and its price will increase, and then perhaps they will sell a few more of those $16K Yaris sedans, I dunno. The Civic has already retreated to higher-priced territory, and I am sure the Sentra will do the same this summer.

OTOH, if you get the base Yaris sedan (giving up the silly-looking cladding, side skirts, and whatnot) with the power package, it prices out at about $14,5, again pretty much fully loaded at that price (with a stick. Figure $15,3 or so for the automatic).

Plus, the sedans have height-adjustable driver's seats, which the hatch doesn't.

Has anyone noticed that the Yaris front-end looks like it was stolen from a Mazda?
    though I can see where the idea might come from, in a distant way. But most of these little vehicles are derivative of something. I do have to say, looking at my Kia Rio5, is if I had never seen one and someone photoshopped a VW logo onto the front of it and told me it was a new compact VW hatch, I would have believed it. It reminds me of a Volkswagen in a difficult-to-pin-down way, including driving it, and I mean that in a good way. It's very European in its execution, IMHO.

Todd in Beerbratistan
  • boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747
    I am not a big fan of real small cars. I tend to hold to the idea that the Civic is about as small as is practical for most Americans with any kind of active lifestyle. But I have looked into some of the small offerings when thinking about getting a second car because the small cars should have a place in that part of the market. (only my opinion friends not a challenge to those who like small cars.) The new Rio 5 looks interesting and drives better than I expected. However I didn't expect much and I had "just' tried a test drive in a Aerio so the rio seemed a bit sluggish. Not that the Aerio was a pocket rocket. The problem isn't that Kia has come a long way the problem is the other cars have not stayed in place waiting for Kia to catch up. We have had time to judge Honda and Toyota and they have for the most part delivered what they have promised.

If I decided to get a small car for my wife Honda and Toyota might make the short list. But once we start making a list, if you are like me you start researching everything you can on the vehicles and the company. There is very little a person with a computer can do except to look at sites like JD powers and even CR and see what others have rated some of the vehicles your are interested in. Once you get that far into your study you quickly see that Honda and Toyota are pretty safe bets if you are going to place you bet on a new car and expect it to serve you well for whatever number of years "you" tend to keep your car. Once again Kia sits at the bottom of the pack.

Could I get a xA, Fit or the like and take care of it so it lasts as long as I want it to last? More than likely the answer is yes. I am not at all sure I could drop down in size from a Civic or Mazda3 but it is possible. Would I go against the odds and buy a car from the lowest rated company among my choices? I doubt it even if I was very interested in one of the old Metros and Sprints when they first hit the used car lots.

In a case like this it reminds me of a car race that you are allowed to bet on. The car that qualified dead last has a chance to win because at least it is in the race. But it would seem to be a wiser bet to place your money on someone closer to the top. For this race Toyota and Honda would seem a much wiser bet than Kia. (even if I would have to feel nippons smirk at my coming over to his style of car.) :D
    I would never smirk at you! :-)

I might drop dead of surprise if you bought a B-class car though. :-P

• boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747
    Believe it or not I used to be a fan of small cars. My fellow Americans were not however and the manufacturers seemed to have decided that small car owners were second class citizens. I realized that if I wanted to do much of anything other than commute I had to move into something they decided was "better" or at least worth the effort to offer more of the upscale features everyone else was getting in their mid sized cars.

Back before I got married I had a Austin Healey Sprite. About as basic as you can get. even after I got married I managed to get a Fiat 124 Spyder. Still pretty basic. I used to cone race or Auto cross or what today we call Solo in both the Sprite and later in the 124. I thought the Mini Cooper was the ideal car for that kind of racing. My cousin bought a Porsche and it seemed even more basic at the time. Once the Japanese came into the picture I could still see myself in light weight basic cars for weekend runs because the 1600 or the fairlady was still a basic car. Even my favorite 240Z was still light and basic but that all changed. The next few Zs and the ZX changed that forever. manufactures simply don't invest in small cars and they have fallen into such a small niche I just haven't been able to see myself in one anymore. I need the utility of more room and the options that come with it. Today 150 HP seems like a minimum to me because so many cars have that and more and they can be had for a reasonable price.

I don't object to the "idea" of a small car I just don't see them as a alternative to a compact car. Not unless they can be had for a lot less. The subjective part is what I consider a lot less I know. If indeed the new small cars can offer the comfort, in reality not considering their size, as a Compact or mid sized car I might take another look. But with expansion joints on the freeway and the stock tire choices they always give sub compacts I don't think that will be the case. The new Mini Cooper is just one example of what I believe the consumer demands of cars today. Believe me I have driven a old mini and a new one and they have almost nothing in common. The S is still pretty cool but once again you are looking at a bigger, heavier, more powerful plusher car. Not much basic about it. Just my take however, and my bias.
    I agree with you in some respects, although the comfort thing can vary a lot depending on the priorities of the respective automakers. Some models may surprise you.

I do take issue with the power thing - 100 hp in a flea-weight car does the same as the 150 hp you mention in an overweight midsize car. The 108 hp in my current 2080-pound Echo gives it a better power-to-weight ratio than all the compacts on the market today except the Corolla and the new Civic, both of which are about equal to my car in p-to-w.

In fact, most of the import midsize 4-cylinder cars also have about the same p-to-w as my car too. Make a car needlessly big (well, needlessly big for some! :-)), and you will need to add power and reduce fuel economy to compensate - no mystery there.

All three of the new subcompacts mentioned here have a decently sophisticated ride, without Bugs-Bunny hopping over freeway expansion joints, as well as peppy performance with decent to good fuel economy, and lots of interior versatility for carrying lots of passengers or cargo, or some of both.

Well, at least the Yaris does, I have only read about the other two, as they will not arrive for another month or more...

Just read Car and Driver's comparo of the sub-compacts. Fit was number 1, followed by the Versa, the Kia, and Yaris in 4th place (Kia beats a Toyota, gotta be a first). They had 3 others in the test too, but were missing the Aveo which I think is a major miss (not that I think the Aveo would have won).
    The new Aveo is still a ways off, while just about everything else new in the segment is either here or imminent.
    They've been giving the new Kia range good reviews of late, they used to pan Kia at every turn (though to be fair, it wasn't long ago that Kia was making some overall miserable vehicles, despite the occasional gem...the old Sportage had a poor reliability record although some Sportage owners got solid ones). Their initial review of the redesigned Rio was quite positive, and it's interesting to see them place it ahead of the Toyota Yaris. I can see the Fit grabbing 1st, even with its non-user-replaceable radio (I hate carmakers that pull that crooked stunt!) The Fit is a splendid little car, I wanted to drive one but ended up needing to replace my old car quickly. Can't say I'm impressed with the Versa, but that's purely aesthetic (I think the Scion xB is better looking, frankly, if you're going to do ugly, do it right!) It should prove to be a solid little vehicle, given Nissan's track record with small cars. I am happy to see my little Rio place in the top three, that's a pretty good achievement. :)

Going to have to find that one on the newsstands...did the xA place in that comparo? It's not on C&D's website yet. :(

Todd in Beerbratistan
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Rio5 didn't do so well in another comparison test (by Popular Mechanics) that involved Fit, Versa and Yaris...

"Unanimously, we all gravitated toward the Honda Fit time and time again because it&#146;s the most fun to drive and has the most inviting ergonomics. The Kia Rio5, on the other hand, best represents what this inexpensive market segment of cars used to be: crude." (Link).

Those two (Fit and Rio5) represented the extremes, with Versa and Yaris fitting in between.

The one thing that is consistent between these two comparison tests (PM and CD) is Fit finishing on top, followed by Versa. While Yaris and Rio5 have gone head to head for third.
    keeps coming up in the reviews as the car that does everything decently, but nothing really well. The uninspiring but reliable choice.

It is not hard for me to believe that the Fit will be the driver's car of the bunch, and well-equipped but pricey for the segment.

I like that the Versa got a 6-speed manual, but can't believe how high it still revs on the highway - why didn't they give it a nice tall gear for the highway, what with six to choose from?

• robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    It is not hard for me to believe that the Fit will be the driver's car of the bunch, and well-equipped but pricey for the segment.

Pricey, only if the competing models are stripped. Check out the Popular Mechanics comparo, Rio5 carries a price tag of $14,500, that is more than Fit's $13,850.
This discussion has been closed.