Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat Oil Changes & Issues

Comments

• gregluizgregluiz Member Posts: 5
    An update...dropped the car off at the dealership on Friday for the piston cleaning which never happened. Instead, they replaced the PCV and added some fuel injector cleaner, then drained the oil and filled the car back up with a carefully measured amount of oil. I am to return in 630 miles to see how much oil I'm burning. According to the service manager, this is the procedure VW instructed them to follow for this. He also stated that the piston cleaning procedure has failed and that, basically, VW really has no idea what the problem is. We'll see how this works out....
  • gosigitgosigit Member Posts: 1
    Ihave had mine for over two years now....oil has been a major issue. Yes, 2 quarts every month they consider, for a TURBO, acceptable.By the way, all people reading this, if you put even one quart in there that is not synthetic, they will void your warranty.

They did an oil consumption test, reported back to factory and it was considered in the normal range. but where does it go I asked? No smoke, no hard driving, where? They said is was "consumed by the car'. Gessh

Steve
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    2 quarts every month is not acceptable under any circumstances. Don't believe the BS.

My wife's 03 Passat 1.8T consumes NO oil after 5 years and 89,000 miles. Of course I have the oil changed every 5000 miles with only synthetic oils that meet the VW 502.00 or VW 503.01 specification. Here's a quick list of oils under these specifications (I happen to have the official lists right in front of me):

502.00 Specification:
    ===============
    Mobil 1 0W-40
    Valvoline Synpower 5W-30
    Castrol Syntec 5W-40 (a.k.a. as VW Part Nos. ZVW-352-540-S and G-052-167-A2 )
    Texaco Havoline Ultra 5W-40

503.01 Specification:
    ===============
    Mobil 1 0W-40
    Castrol Syntec 0W-30 European Formula ("Made in Germany")

In the case of your 06 Passat, I would highly recommend using the oils on the newer 503.01 Specification.
  • altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    You wrote:

502.00 Specification:
    ===============
    Mobil 1 0W-40
    Valvoline Synpower 5W-30
    Castrol Syntec 5W-40 (a.k.a. as VW Part Nos. ZVW-352-540-S and G-052-167-A2 )
    Texaco Havoline Ultra 5W-40

503.01 Specification:
    ===============
    Mobil 1 0W-40
    Castrol Syntec 0W-30 European Formula ("Made in Germany")

Sadly, the VW/Audi official list has errors and also mentions oils available worldwide that don't always have the same qualities and compositions in North America as they do elsewhere in world.

Valvoline Synpower 5w-30, as available in the North American market, does not meet VW Spec 502.00 (the European version is 502.00 compliant). Their North American 5w-40 does meet 502.00 compliance. Always check the label on the bottle to verify if it meets VW's spec.
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    . Always check the label on the bottle to verify if it meets VW's spec.

As someone who has owned and worked on VWs for the past 27 Years, you're preaching to the choir.

If there are errors on the list, that is VW's issue.

The only oils that I use on either list for my 03 Passat (both Group IV Synthetics) are as follows:

502.00 - Elf Excellium LDX 5W-40
    503.01 - Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (Made in Germany)

I don't use Mobil 1 (haven't used an Exxon-associated product since the Valdez spill), and all the other oils manufactured in the U.S. tend to be Group III "Hydrocracked" synthetics (consistent with their cost-cutting, profit-oriented, MBA-driven philosophy).
  • gregluizgregluiz Member Posts: 5
    The conclusion to the ongoing oil consumption saga...so after the dealership screwed up the oil consumption test (didn't measure oil put in correctly), I had had enough. Wrote a letter to the dealership owner and demanded that something be done. Told owner that I did not want another VW, but was told I would end up with far less by not staying with brand. After a few days of negotiations, dealership owner agreed to allow me to trade car (2006) in at well over trade-in value and purchase 2009 at a tremendous savings (more than fair since VW was not willing to do anything but waste my time). Lesson to all...don't sit back and concede to ridiculous oil consumption test(s) and demand that issue is resolved by obtaining new/different vehicle! Do not settle for any repairs as oil damage to engine, exhaust system, etc. is unknown! Make VW/dealership accept responsibility for the problem. A happy ending (so far)...
    So...what did you get to replace it?
  • quig1quig1 Member Posts: 1
    This is scary. I believe I'm in the same boat w/ my 06 2.0T. Bought pre-owned at 16K miles. Don't know what the initial treatment was obviously but have been alarmed at the amount of oil I've needed to add and have an oil consumption test in progress w/ 1K miles driven and measurement to follow.

Can you share any add'l info on your resolution in terms of amounts above trade in value and the new purchase discount? I'm looking for some sort of precedent as it sounds like a class problem w/ the vehicle.

Has anyone seen a proper fix or is this believed to be systemic?
  • gentid1gentid1 Member Posts: 2
    I've read through many of the discussions on this board but not all of them, so if I ask a questions that has just been discussed, sorry.

I just bought a 06 VW passat from the dealer. 32k mikes. 2.0T. I noticed an abnormally loud ticking coming from the engine. I noticed it at the dealership but the service dept stated they couldn't find anything wrong. It doesn't start untill the car is driven down the road a ways then you can hear it from inside the car. Almost sounds like clogged fuel injectors?

Any thoughts?

Secondly, I have always done my own maintanance to all my vehicles, will I be able to continue with this 06 passat?

Thanks.
  • Austin_SAustin_S Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Passat SW, 1.8T. I change the oil every 5000 miles and I don't check the oil level between these changes. Last time, I run 6000 miles and was about to go the service but the oil pressure light came on before. Rapidly, I added a 1 lt of oil and run few miles. The oil pressure light came on again, rapidly I lost the power and got the car towed to the service. They changed the oil pump ($800). Now, the car is running ok but there is a funny sound coming from the engine, like a whistle, when the RPM increases during the acceleration. In addition to that, the oil consumption has considerably increased. I can observe the decreasing level with the oil dipstick almost every week.

Any thoughts? Is the sound serious problem? or did I burn the engine?

All the best,
  • rudyvrudyv Member Posts: 1
    Some two weeks ago I had my 2008 Passat Wagon in for the 10k service. I took the car home (about 13 miles), parked it in my drive way and left for an overseas business trip.
    This Sunday after my return, I took the car and after about some 12 miles of driving the Low Oil pressure warning light came on and I immediately stopped car and engine. When checking the oil stand, I found that the dip stick was totally dry. The car was towed and upon coming home, I found a huge oil puddle in the drive way where the car was parked for some 10 days. We had a bit of talk with the dealer today and asked what could have happened to the engine with too low oil.
    We were assured that even the dip stick showed any sign of oil, at least three quarts were left in the engine, enough to provide even emergency lubrication.
    Is this true?? Are there three quarts of oil left below the dip stick?? I am not sure how much oil leaked in my drive, some seems to be leaked into the ground, right off the asphalt. The leaking came form a supposedly faulty O-ring on the oil filter.
    Any help would be appreciated.
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    and ask them about their stand. Will possible future engine failure be covered by the warranty?
    Ask dealer to buy you extended warranty.

It is definately not good.

Good luck.

Krzys
    Hi: According to what I did hear from the dealer and find on forums, the generation of my passat has a design flaw involving the oil pump and the turbo. The problem follows the same pattern for almost every case, (1) the oil pressure light comes on although there is enough oil. Next, (2) they change the oil pump (would cost ~$800). Next, (3) the oil consumption increases and the turbo or some other related pieces blasts and (4) the car blows some white smoke consuming the whole oil. The latter is a sudden incident. The solution is to change the turbo and other pieces. Well, I am not going to repeat all of the technical details here, you can check forums. The dealership covers this problem within the warranty if you can provide service logs that states that you changed the oil every 5000 miles with the appropriate type (5W 40 something like that). Otherwise, they don;t cover this. To fix the turbo etc. costs a fortune. A lot of people launched a law suit against VW etc. The strange thing with your car is that yours is a brand new one. Please contact me in private if you need more information about my case...
  • DON__FLORIDADON__FLORIDA Member Posts: 14
    The Passat is such a nice car to drive. What a shame there are so many problems. The same problems seem to go on year after year. I wonder why German engineers cannot find solutions? I would love to buy another one but just can't take the chance. They must be losing many sales because of poor reliability. I am looking at the new Toyota Venza.
  • jle4jle4 Member Posts: 1
    I took my 2002 Passat Wagon in to dealer for work to be done on a recall. While there I asked them to change the oil. They came out to get me in the waiting area and showed me the drain pan nut that they state had been stripped by the person who did the previous oil change. Their only option for a fix was to change the entire drain pan for $800.00. When I went back to the previous person they told me that VW could have offered other fixes to the problem like re-threading and that VW most likely took the nut out with the drain pan cold and stripped it themselves. Any thoughts on this?
    I think the comment about removing the drain plug cold is bogus. You drove to the delaer to have the work done, right? How long were you there before they came out with the drain plug? It takes a good while (hours, if the engine was hot went you got there) for the oil in the pan to go cold.

Hard to say if using a helicoil would have been feasible, but certainly would have been worth a try.
  • srgcvs7srgcvs7 Member Posts: 1
    i have the same problems as the number 320 any solutions that you want to tell me or tips about the problem
  • vwdawgvwdawg Member Posts: 162
    Hi All: I have an '02 Passat 1.8T with 77,000 miles. I didn't get a manual from the prior owner, but I change oil and filter about every 5,000 and use 5w-30 synthetic. I heard something recently that there have been some occasional "oil sludging" problems with that engine, which I had never heard of and found to be alarming. Does anyone have any solid recommendations on type of oil which should be used (brand and weight), and how often it should be changed. Thanks! vwdawg
    VW has mandated that the 1.8T use synthetic oil that meets VW Spec 502.00. The most readily available over-the-counter stuff you will find at your favorite auto parts store would be Mobil 1 0w-40 European Formula and Valvoline's Synpower 5w-40. You might also find 0w-30 Castrol Syntec that meets 502.00, but it's more difficult to find in my part of the country.

Basically, if it doesn't say it meets at least 502.00 on the bottle, I wouldn't use it. And use the larger oil filter that VW mandated later. It's the one for the old diesel engine (you'll need to search the web for that number - I don't have it handy). That will increase the total oil capacity of the engine.

And stick to the owner's-manual-recommended maximum oil change interval of 5,000 miles with a brief two minute cool-down of the turbo at idle after hard driving and you will have done much to avoid the sludge issue.
    Hi altair4: Thanks for the recs...a couple of points that I was not aware of. Great day to you! vwdawg
    Oh...forgot to add a question to my last reply...anyone know the part number for the larger filter for the "old diesel engine" that altair4 speaks of? I am completely unfamiliar with that item, and will try to find on the net, but if anyone has specific info, I would appreciate it. Thanks to all... vwdawg.
    Original Passat 1.8T oil filter was VW 06A 115 561 B.

The new, larger, filter is VW 068 115 561 B.
    Thanks, altair4...MUCH appreciated. vwd
  • pass_the_oilpass_the_oil Member Posts: 3
    :mad: I have an 06 Passat 2.0T which is consuming oil at .46 QTs/ 1000 miles. VW claims this is acceptable. This is nearly one half of the oil capacity between a 5000 mile oil change. Their customer service says that anything not over 1 QT / 1000 miles is within acceptable limits. I'd like to get this news out on the wire before someone else buys one. I've had six cars in thirty years and this is the only one that has ever consumed oil. What are you experiencing and what have you done about it?
    This looks like unreasonable to me. It is not supposed to consume any oil.
    This means that you have to add oil to your car, several times between two oil changes. My passat had serious issues with the oil pump etc. It was consuming .5QT/1000 miles before it failed totally.

My advise is to keep the track of your oil changes so that the warrant works.
  • lservelserve Member Posts: 50
    From what I have read, it appears that the 2.0T can require oil between servicing. I have a '07 with 35K miles and it has generally required a quart every 1500 miles. I was a bit taken back also having owned Honda's that seem to burn at a rate of about a quart every 100K (if you didn't service them). I think this is really related to the turbo, and their pushing the engine for performance. I've had no other problems with the car and love the ride, but the oil needs to be checked regularly, which the manual makes a strong point on (I believe for a good reason).
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I've been following the 2.0T (the older FSI version that you have) oil control issues for some time, and in the vast majority of cases, it isn't the engine itself that is causing the oil consumption, it is the PVC system. Many/most folks who have had their system upgraded to the latest revision levels of the breather plumbing have completely solved their oil consumption problems. Said another way, it isn't the turbo in and of itself that is causing your engine to consume oil, it's the extra emission plumbing required for the forced induction engine.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Very interesting. What's does this translate to in terms of VW servicing? Something I should be requesting? Is this a software and/or hardware upgrade? Of course the dealer servicing the car has never mentioned this.

Thanks ahead for the help. - L
    I believe it's 100% hardware. :)
    OK, will discuss with service next check up. As I read that dealers are claiming this is "normal" for the engine - I would assume that VW will not offer to do this work without $$.

thx L
    Hello Everyone: I have noted a couple of posts in which the writers refer to a "de-sludging" procedure for the 1.8. I don't have service records from the first owner of my 2002 Passat, and based on the manual for my car, put conventional oil in at two oil changes. I THEN was advised by shipo and altair4 that dyno-juice is an absolute NO-NO. So...my 1.8 seems to be OK, but is there actually a de-sludging procedure that I can use as a preventative measure in case there is some sludge already present? Thanks, vwdawg
    Shipo, thanks for your feedback. They tried the PVC replacement service and it did reduce the consumption. However that was before I wrote the article and it is still consuming .5 qts per 1000 miles. Thank you for your input.
    I agree that it is wise to keep a faithful eye on the oil. However, when talking to the so called customer service representatives about this they say "It is normal for oil consumption to occur." I said "In all VW's?" they said no. So I remarked " So all 2.0T consume this much oil, they again said no. And so I stated "Then most must consume this much oil" Again their answer was no. So I had to ask, " how do you define most?" "If this is a common issue to which they say most have this "non" problem" then how can they say it is normal? Ford, Chevy, Dodge? It dumbfounds me that they can make engines that do not consume oil but the 2.0T does, not all of them, but its normal. :confuse:
  • charly77charly77 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99' passat and it goes through 5 quarts a month @105,000 miles. Any suggestions for fixing this problem? I don't see oil under the car when it sits? I have no idea why I'm loosing so much. Most of my driving is in Nashville city limits, could that be it?
    And what about bringing this to a garage that says they have parts to fix my vw? Can I trust them if I don't see the parts put in? I'm a retired single woman and need you boys to help me on this please. Honest replies appreciated.
  • frank_cfrank_c Member Posts: 19
    I have a '05 GLX 4motion with the V6 2.8l engine. Low mileage car, I just hit 25,000 miles. Engine has been prone to burn oil, but not dramatically so (about .5 quarts/1000 miles).

Oil was changed at dealership during warranty period.

Recent oil change: I opted for synthetic 5W40 at Jiffy Lube. I think this is the Pennzoil fully synthetic euro norm (Platinum) which is on the VW list fulfilling 502 and 505 specs. Should be fine thus.

Any thoughts on switching to synthetic after 25,000 miles? I am not interested in ultra performance nor does the V6 need 504/507 spec oil.

Thanks,
    Frank
    Hi Frank C: A couple of questions...you advised that "Oil was changed at dealership during warranty period", but what type of oil did THEY use? Are you stating that the dealer used conventional? I'm not sure what the spec is for the '05 2.8 (perhaps altair4 or shipo could clarify that), but with all the oil sludging horror stories I have read (mostly on the 1.8T), I don't think I would hesitate to use an approved synthetic in your car, and I have never heard of a problem with switching from conv to synth. I DO have one concern regarding your situation...that's the statement that you "...THINK this is the Pennzoil fully synthetic euro...". If it IS the case that the VW spec for your Passat is 5W-40 synth, then I would be sure to request frm J-Lube that they confirm in WRITING that IT IS an approved 5W-40 or 0W-40 on EVERY work order from them and any other shop that does your oil changes. My understanding is that you want to have your documentation ducks all in a row if you end up with a sludge problem. I would assume that others could provide additional comments. vwdawg
  • frank_cfrank_c Member Posts: 19
    The Pennzoil synthetic 5W40 oil is 502 spec compliant (retails under Platinum), I checked with Jiffy Lube and VW. V6 engines do not tend to have sludge issues. It is more of an issue of the wrong oil breaking down etc. and damaging the engine.
  • 1734517345 Member Posts: 1
    I've been pouring through these posts until my contacts are glued to my eyeballs....
    I bought an 06 Passat 2.0 Turbo from a dealership (they'd got it from an auction) with 50k miles. Yes I bought an extended bumpter to bumper warranty. Within the first week of driving it, I got a Service Now and then a check engine light. The dealership where I bought it doesn't have any VW certified techs. Nearest VW dealership is 3 hours away. I took it to a "foreign make" repair place. They attempted to run a diagnostic and could only say they couldn't communicate with the engine controller. I took the dealership PDI/UCI form (indicating they did a 50k check, oil change ect) to the VW dealership 3 hours away. They ran a diagnostic, said the engine was showing a low-voltage reading, asked if someone had disconnected the battery. When I said I didn't know. They cleared the error, drove it for 8 miles and deemd it "fixed". That afternoon the Service Now message displayed and the next day the check engine light came on. Everyone kept asking me "is it running fine? If so, it's not an emergency". So I drove it one weekend and stuck in traffic, running just above idle and the car was WHINING. (I was in Sport mode) Ug. Finally figured out it was MY car. Drove it all the way home. Can't get it to recreat the whining now, but I finally found a place in town that has techs that are newly VW certified. I explained my two issues - the service advisor thinks the oil is the issue with the whining. That the dealership might have put in the wrong oil. Upon confirmation, it's true - the went by what AllData told them - 5w30 if 5w40 wasn't available. Nothing said about synthetic! And no the car didn't come with a manual. The service advisor at this new place said to use 505.01 Pentosin. I did some research and it looks like it's only for diesel engines. Mine is not.So I called her back and she said they've been using it on ALL VW and Audi's, Turbo, Diesel or Gasoline. Just clear across the board. In the meantime the dealership where I bought it scrounged up 5 quarts of Castro SLX and are replacing the oil as I write this. (Who were told that VW was switching to Mobil as the preferred synthetic oil).

I'm frustrated. I can't find a flippin' manual. Everyone keeps giving me a different answer. I don't know if my two issues are related. Monday I have an appointment for the check engine/low voltage reading. I sorta half thought the whining might be the alternator slipping which could account for the low voltage reading, but the belt seems fine. Ug. Any thoughts?

Sheli
    Can't help on the diagnosis, but the vw dealer who services my '07 only uses Syntec 5-40, which is one of the approved synthetics. It indicates made for VW on container. Commonly sold at Pep Boys, etc.

Good luck!
    Hello, 17345: Not wise to use ANY oil that is not on the VW-approved listing (I believe altair4 posted the actual list a couple of months back, so check it out). Also wanted to respond to the comment on Alldata's alleged advisory that it's "OK to use 5W-30 if 5W-40 is unavailable". That advice is, I think, directly from certain VW manuals (my 2002 Passat 1.8T manual, for instance). HOWEVER, there is one critical part of that advice that is missing, and that is that 5W-30 is ONLY OK for TOPPING up, and only when 5W-40 in unavailable, not for actual oil change applications. Seems to me that there IS one 5W-30 that is approved (Syntec European Formula?), but can't recall which one. Good luck, but proceed with caution! vwdawg
    Common VW 502.00 oils available in the U.S.:

- Castrol Syntec 5W-40
    - Castrol Syntec 0W-30
    - Mobil 1 0W-40

All three are acceptable for primary use during an oil change as well as for topping off in between oil changes.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Shipo, maybe you know the answer because I don't, but what is the VW Spec for the 2006 2.0T? That's what the original poster has. I know 502.00 was okay for the previous gen Passat. Not sure if that applies to the B6 version.
    Yes, in the States, VW 502.00 is specified for both the FSI (through 2008.5) and the TSI (2008.5 and later) versions of the 2.0T. ;)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • dcolosimodcolosimo Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2003 w8 Passat in 4/09 with 48000 miles. The other day I started the car and it was missing bad. Took to dealer codes for misfire cyls 5,6,7,8 and cam adj advance. Dealer seems lost on W8. Says he has to take engine out. My warranty won't pay saying they believe it is a sludge problem. Dealer wants to flush motor. I have complete history since new and car has always been serviced. Any knowledgeable people out there on W 8 with any answer and how do I get my waranty company to cover repair? Thanks
    Realizing it may have been serviced timely, but what oil type (synth or regular) and grade was used? In other words, was it completely compliant with VW's specs? That might determine whether it was sludged or not.

Did you buy the car from a VW dealer? Was it CPO?

Also, bear in mind that the W8 was a fairly rare engine for some dealers. Not all of them are conversant in problems with that engine. You might want to consider having another service department look at it.

At the very least, post the codes that the engine gave through the OBD.

Oh, and who is the warranty company? You might save someone else from dealing with a difficult provider.
    dcolosimo: Wow, what a horrible mess. I agree with altair4...get a second opinion from a either a good independent repair shop or another dealer. Sludging at 48k sounds pretty outrageous, and if VW-approved synth was used, then VW should definitely be covering this regardless of mileage...contact VW America to complain. I think the extended sludging warranty runs ten years if you are using the correct oil. And, why do they need to take the engine out to de-sludge? Is that the normal procedure for that? Good luck. vwdawg
  • dcolosimodcolosimo Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply. The car was serviced by a VW dealer in Rochester, Ny since new. I purchased it from the original owner with a complete service history. Oil has always been approved synthetic and even when I changed it the shop used synthetic every 5000 miles. The original dealer is aprox 150 miles from me so the VW dealer I took it to is about 100 miles. I did call the original dealer 4 times and have yet to receive a call back. The codes I have are 16406 bank 2 cam adj adv, 16684 random misfire, 16689 cyl 5 misfire, 16690 cyl 6 misfire, 16691 cyl 7 misfire and 16692 cyl 8 misfire. The warranty company is Universal and they were highly reccommended but now I question that. I did call VW and open a complaint and ask for a QTM to be brought in since the dealer didn't seem to be too knowledgeable. I have not received a call back from VW yet either. I love this car but I am sorry I bought it. I am hoping the problem to be electrical or ignition or something other than the $8000 fix they said it might be. Anyone want to buy a mint W8 Passat? Any help would be appreciated.
  • yippyburstyippyburst Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2008 VW Passat about a year and a half ago and the engined seized up on me about 3 weeks ago. The car currently has 23K miles on it and should be covered by the 5 year 60K powertrain warranty, but VW is not adhering to their policy. I am truly frustrated and don't know where to turn. The dealership and the factory rep has asked for oil change receipts, which I supplied them with but they are still denying my warranty. I have filed a complaint with the BBB auto line to dispute this claim and hope the arbritrator rules in my favor. Is there any other way to get this taken care of???? I consider the car brand new and under warranty but VW does not see it this way. Any help would be appreciated.
    It sounds like a pretty clear cut case. What is VW's reasoning for denying your claim?
    Do your oil change receipts show that the correct oil (i.e. oil that meets the 502.00 specification) was used? If they don't, then VW is well within their right to deny you warranty coverage.