Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat Oil Changes & Issues

patpat Member Posts: 10,421
Discuss your Passat oil thoughts and questions here.

Comments

• zperson1zperson1 Member Posts: 9
    I was told that Jeffy Lube has the specified oil for the 2006 passat (made be Pennzoil) and can perform the oil change for $60
    any body had this experiance
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    That sounds a little inexpensive but only $10-$20 or so. The thing that I'd be concerned about is the Pennzoil itself. They make an oil (Pennzoil Platinum) that "Exceeds" North American warranty requirements for U.S., European and Japanese cars and light trucks with gasoline and gasoline turbo-charged engines where API SM, SL, SJ or SH are specified

The concern that I have is that Pennzoil does not specifically call out the VW oil spec as one of the specs that they meet (they do however call out eighteen other specifications). Said another way, if that oil (or any other for that matter) doesn't specifically call out the VW 502.00/505.00/503.01 standards as having been met, then there is no way I would put it in any VW or Audi.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I got this info from Pennzoil web site which lists VW specification as compatible with this oil what do you think
    is Pennzoil a reliable product

PLATINUM SYNTHETIC EUROPEAN FORMULATION MOTOR OIL
    PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
    PENNZOIL® PLATINUM SYNTHETIC EUROPEAN FORMULATION MOTOR OIL is a premium synthetic engine oil that is uniquely formulated to meet the needs of European automobiles.
    PENNZOIL® PLATINUM SYNTHETIC EUROPEAN FORMULATION MOTOR OIL is a low volatility oil that provides excellent high-temperature protection and low-temperature protection. It resists high temperature oxidation better than conventional oils.
    APPLICATION
    PENNZOIL® PLATINUM SYNTHETIC EUROPEAN FORMULATION MOTOR OIL can be used in both passenger car and light duty diesel applications. It is specifically recommended for BMW and Porsche vehicles and where Mercedes-Benz 229.3, MB 229.1, VW 502.00, or VW 505.00 performance is required. PENNZOIL®PLATINUM SYNTHETIC EUROPEAN FORMULATION MOTOR OIL surpasses the performance requirements of API SL/CF, and ACEA A3/B4-02 and B3-98. PENNZOIL® PLATINUM SYNTHETIC EUROPEAN FORMULATION MOTOR OIL can be also be used for domestic vehicles where an API SJ, SH or API SG category is recommended. PENNZOIL® PLATINUM SYNTHETIC EUROPEAN FORMULATION MOTOR OIL is only available in a SAE 5W-40 viscosity grade.
    BENEFITS
    • Protects against harmful engine deposits and wear caused by high and low-temperature severe service
    • Outperforms conventional motor oils in providing protection for hot running engines.
    • Protects against rust and corrosion caused by severe, low-temperature stop and go driving
    • Has MB 229.3 and MB 229.1 performance approval
    • Has VW 502.00, and VW 505.00 performance approval
    • Has BMW LL-98 approval
    • Has Porsche approval
    • Exceeds the requirements of ACEA A3/B4-02 and B3-98
    • Exceeds the requirements of API SL/CF
    January, 2005 Stock # 5066214
    Interesting, the Tech Data Sheet that I just got of the Pennzoil web site is dated August, 2005 and has a Stock # of 5066203, obviously older than the one you just pulled up. I wonder how you managed to fetch a newer version of the same sheet off of the same web site. Maybe you're just special. ;-)

Looking further at this situation, I see that even this newer information is still lacking the VW 503.01 spec, which IIRC is the one for the 2006 turbocharged cars. Going back to my previous post I'll say it again, unless the oil meets the VW 502.00/505.00 AND 503.01 specification, I wouldn't put it in my car.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I called VW north America and they gave me the following link to the approved oil's by them, if you check it up you will see the Pennzoil list, let me know what you think

http://www.vw.com/vwcom/content/objects/pdf/service_maint/oilchart.pdf#search='v- w%20502.00'
    Also the following link from VW talks about the recommended oil for VW motors

http://www.vw.com/vwcom/content/objects/pdf/service_maint/engoil_gas.pdf#search=- 'vw%20502.00'
    Hmmm, interesting, my take on the various specs were that the 502.00 was an older gasoline engine spec and the 503.01 was the latest gasoline engine spec for the more powerful engines. That having been said, my knowledge is a little sketchy and so I did a little research to bolster what I think I know, and found some good stuff.

The following information is courtesy of someone who calls himself oilman:

VW 500.00

This is an old oil specification and is applicable to engines built before model year 2000 (up to August 1999)

Viscosity ratings: SAE 5w-40, 10w-40 or 20w-40

This oil can be used in all gasoline and some diesel engines, apart from those referred to under other specifications.

VW 501.01

This is another old oil specification with exactly the same application as

VW 500.00.

Viscosity ratings: SAE 10w-40, 15w-40 or 20w-40

VW 502.00

This oil can only be used in gasoline engines and is recommended for those which are subject to arduous conditions. It must not be used for any engines with variable service intervals or any which are referred to under other specifications.

Viscosity ratings: SAE 0w-40, 5w-40 or 10w-40

VW 503.00

This is a relatively new oil specification for gasoline engines with variable service intervals. It includes the AUDI S4, but not the RS4, or the TT and S3 with outputs of more than 180bhp.

Viscosity rating: SAE 0w-30

VW 503.01

A new oil specification specifically for the RS4, and the TT and S3 with outputs of more than 180bhp, Passat W8 and Phaeton W12.

Viscosity rating: 0w-30 or 0w-40

VW 505.00

For all diesel engines prior to model year 2000 (August 1999)

Viscosity rating: 0w-40, 5w-40 or 10w-40

VW 505.01

For all diesel engines with unit injectors (Pumpe-Duse or PD) without variable service intervals.

Viscosity rating: SAE 5w-40

VW 506.00

For all diesel engines except those with unit injectors, with variable service intervals.

VW 506.01

For all diesel engines, including those with unit injectors, with variable service intervals.

Reading between the lines, the 503.01 oil spec was designed for the highest output engines from the VW/Audi stable, and one of the references was specifically to the previous generation 1.8T producing more than 180 hp. Given that both of the mills available in the Passat are substantially more powerful than that, it would seem logical to me that oil that meets the 503.01 standard would be decidedly more desirable to use instead of the older 502.00 standard. Said/read another way, the 502.00 standard is the minimum spec that can be used to keep the warranty intact but that an oil that meets both the 502.00 and the 503.01 spec is the better bet.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • mrjettemrjette Member Posts: 122
    What is a "variable service interval"? I have the PD diesel engine ('05 passat TDi), but that term is new to me.

I sent an email to my service dept (Grappone VW in Concord, NH). I asked them about the oil they use (wanted to make sure it meets or exceeds the VW spec), and expressed some concern that they always put a sticker in the windshield that calls for me to return in 3K for another change (although the interval is 10K - makes me wonder if they really know what oil they just installed). Also, they put an MOA Oil Additive in the last change, although a read of the manual would suggest that this could void the warranty. Given the strict adherence to the change intervals posted in the manual during the sludge issue, I am surprised they would decide to add something without consulting with the manual or car owner first! I'll take that up with them soon.

To date, no reply to my inquiry. Guess I'll have to call them.
    "What is a "variable service interval"? I have the PD diesel engine ('05 passat TDi), but that term is new to me."

I've driven two BMWs that had some form of an "Oil Service Reminder" that would calculate when the next oil change was due. Said calculation is basically a determination of how much fuel has been used since the last oil change, however, many folks think that there is also a certain amount of black magic involved in the process as well. Regardless, the system on my cars calculated oil changes in as little as 13,000 miles (lots of driving in NYC traffic) and as much as 18,500 miles (mostly driving back and forth between New Hampshire and NYC).

Does VW and/or Audi use such a system? I haven't heard one way or another. Anybody?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • quietypequietype Member Posts: 3
    I don't think I would take my high-end 2006 Passat to a Jiffy Lube for service. I trust my VW dealer and service.

See http://www.jiffylubeproblems.com/ if you want to read others who feel the same...

Tom
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    Well it goes on and on. Logical inferences and line after line of oil specs are not specfic facts useful to any owner. People should read the owner's manual and talk to the dealer service staff. And people need to really think about the risk they assume by taking a high performance engine that has critical oil needs and what seems like a history of warranty problems to Jiffy Lube or the local garage to save a few dollars.

The VW or Audio oil change service receipts may just collect dust but might be very handy some day when.."my turbo started to make a loud noise....!"
    "Logical inferences and line after line of oil specs are not specfic facts useful to any owner."

They aren't? Well, speaking strictly for myself then, when a manufacturer comes out with an oil spec, and said oil spec isn't on the bottle of oil I'm looking at, it ain't going into my engine. That seems to be both simple and useful to me.

Regarding talking to the service staff at your friendly neighborhood dealership regarding what is the proper oil for your car, well, that can be hit and miss too. The sad fact is that in entirely too many cases, it is the dealership that is at fault for not using the proper oil.

Along the same lines, a couple of years back there was a class-action law suit brought against some BMW dealerships for not following the BMW oil spec when perfoming the "Free maintenance".

I'm thinking that the only sure bet is to do the oil changes yourself. Finding the oil is easy, just match up the oil spec from the Owner's Manual to the oil on the shelf at your local parts store, and away you go. Given that that simply isn't practical for many/most folks, the next best thing would be to question your dealership about the specific oil that they use in cars like yours. If they are even a little vague when answering the question, find a different dealership.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    My VW dealer is still using oil that is half dino, half synthetic, so I would not rely on their expertise. They'll do what is most profitable for the dealer.
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    How often are you supposed to change oil in 2.0T?

Krzys
  • chindia76chindia76 Member Posts: 9
    Every 5000 miles this car needs an oil change
    at 5000 miles you are supposed to drain the oil not top it off. Correct?

Krzys
  • zpersonzperson Member Posts: 4
    according to the manual supplied with the car it should get oil change every 10000 miles not 5000, also this has been confirmed by VW North America.
    if you notice the service light comes up every 10000 miles
    Correct
    According to my manual that I am reading right now it says a 2.0T Gasoline Engine Passat 2006 needs an oil change every 5000 miles. I also confirmed this with service at Volkswagon. At 10,000 miles it needs an oil change & maintenance service. The maint just includes checking other liquids, brakes, battery and rotating tires. I don't know what maintenance manual you got with your car but that is weird mine says something totally different. Either way I would rather spend the $30.00 and do it correctly and not have to top any oil off. Especially where the manual says you should use a special type of oil. Actually I just read it further and it says to get one at the 1st 5000 and then after that it can go 10,000. So I guess that is the part that is confusing. Either way I would still rather have someone do it then add in oil myself.
  • jefferygjefferyg Member Posts: 418
    Either way I would rather spend the $30.00 and do it correctly and not have to top any oil off.

Where are you getting your oil changed? The oil and filter alone cost more than that if you buy them from the dealer. I don't know about everyone else, but the dealer I use charges $92 for an oil and filter change :mad: , but I'm not getting into that one again.

BTW, When I read the service booklet/owners manual for our car it said change the oil at 5,000 miles, again at 10,000 miles and then it goes to a 10,000 mile interval.
    Yeah on the last part of my post I had wrote that I see now where the confusion is regarding the mileage. I had only read up to the 5000 miles section because I hadn't hit 10,000 miles yet. I get my oil changed at Quirk Volkswagon in Braintree MA. My first one was free and I was told after that it is $32.00 an includes oil, filter etc and they vacuum out the whole inside and top off all the liquids. What region do you live in? My dealership is constantly sending me out coupons also. I have never heard of anyone paying $92 for an oil change. Thats INSANE. Maybe my dealership isn't using the right parts...you sound like you know alot about this stuff so it makes me nervous that my oil changes are drastically cheaper then yours. I haven't hit 10,000 yet maybe mine will go up once I hit that mark?
    My first one was free and I was told after that it is $32.00 an includes oil, filter etc and they vacuum out the whole inside and top off all the liquids. What region do you live in? My dealership is constantly sending me out coupons also. I have never heard of anyone paying $92 for an oil change. Thats INSANE. Maybe my dealership isn't using the right parts...

Be nervous, be very nervous. Your car calls for fairly expensive oil and even if they did the job at their cost for the oil and filter (i.e. no labor) it would most likely come to more that $32. My advice would be to check your manual, look at the oil specification (it will be either 502.00 or 503.01) and then make very sure that they are using AT LEAST what is called for.

FWIW #1, 503.01 oil is WAY better than the 502.00 stuff (which is a fairly old spec) and that (the 503.01) is the only oil I would allow to be put into my new VW or Audi engine.

FWIW #2, $92 is about right for a full 503.01 oil change with a new filter, maybe even a little low.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jefferygjefferyg Member Posts: 418
    Good to hear from you, Ship. I've been off the Passat boards for a while. Thanks for the info.

Chindia, I live in South Mississippi and get our car serviced at the VW dealer in Jackson. Just to give you a quick rundown, the cartridge type filter is $15.85 and the car requires six(yes,6)quarts of pure synthetic motor oil at $8.50 per quart. So that's $66.85 for oil and filter plus 15.90 for labor. After oil disposal fee and tax the total came to $91.10, so I was off by 90 cents.

Yes, I might could buy oil that meets the specs someplace else for less money. Perhaps the filter as well. But the way I figure it, as long as the car is under warranty I'd rather have the dealer do the work, and then if something happens they can't say, "Well, you should have used this oil and that filter...."

In regards to the earlier post about the Passat using a quart of oil between changes, I've not experienced this. But IMO, no brand new vehicle should use oil that way. I'd be having a talk with my service advisor if it was my car.
  • kvthomaskvthomas Member Posts: 1
    I'm at 14,000 miles with my '06 Passat 2.0T. Whenever I start the car I get a message that says I'll need to service the car in 1000 miles. Yet, the owner's manual and this thread both suggest that I shouldn't have to bring the car in for service again until 20,000 miles. Can I safely ignore this warning and skip bringing the car in at 15K miles?

Does this mean that the dealer is trying to rip me off by getting me to pay for an oil change twice as often as I need?
  • koolkinkajoukoolkinkajou Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2001 6 Cylinder Pasant and I have had oil burning issues from the beginning.
    I have seen reference that other people have had this problem.
    It uses about a quart per 1000 miles.
    Over the years I've heard of some issues with the blown 1.8T engine, however, I cannot remember reading a single complaint from someone with the V6. The proper thing to have done would have been to have your dealer track the oil usage so as to build a case for a new engine. The potential problem here is that many manufacturers consider a quart per 1,000 miles to be "normal" usage.

Just curious, what type of oil are you using and have you experimented to see of a different oil changes your oil consumption (for better or worse)?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • burly953burly953 Member Posts: 2
    hi
    Can anyone help. I have a 2001 passat tdi 130bhp.
    On start up the turbo demand is ok but after 10-15 minutes the turbo drops of line or high revs are required for it to kick in, the acceleration is poor and stagnates at 80mph in 6th gear ie no or extremely slow acceleration. engine idle is ok. i am getting oil coming through the EGR VALVE AND HAVE A STUCK MAP SENSOR. Is this the cause or i am looking at a new turbo unit
  • tamedmundstamedmunds Member Posts: 2
    I'm from Chattanooga, TN and my dealer sent out a coupon for a $23.95 oil change on VW's. When I called to set up the appt. he told me it would be $95.00 for an oil change on the '06 Passat and the $23.95 was for the '04 and older models....I was steaming mad. I had never heard of a 95.00 Oil Change. So I called the local Valvoline and they said they would only charge $51.99 for the recommended oil (synthetic), however, they could not turn out the "Service Engine" light and the dealer would have to do that.....for a charge of $90.00 (because they have to use a "special" $14,000.00 machine to get the light turned out).
    TOTAL RIP-OFF. Lesson - Ask Service Prices BEFORE buying. I'm just glad we didn't get the VW Toureg. That Oil Change is a mere $179.00.....it must have a "Special" gold additive, huh?
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I am guessing you have the 2.0t engine? These engine require VW502 certified synthetic oil every 5K miles. My 1.8t also requirss the same oil and I bring my own oil to the dealer and just pay for a filter and labor. The oil costs me $5.50 per Qt (X5) and the dealer charges me $20.00. So, I pay almost $50 for an oil change. Well worth it to be driving a Passat!!

Also, I get those same coupons in the mail and they ALWAYS have, in small writing, verbiage that says "synthetic cost more". Read the fine print! You can take your car to an independent shop and the cost will most likely be less.
  • altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    You wrote:
    ...my dealer sent out a coupon for a $23.95 oil change on VW's. When I called to set up the appt. he told me it would be $95.00 for an oil change on the '06 Passat and the $23.95 was for the '04 and older models....I was steaming mad.

What's funny about this is the fact that VWoA released a pamphlet saying that synthetic oil is recommended/required for all engines from 1998 onward. What's scary about this is that the dealership either doesn't know this, or is ignoring it.

So the coupon's a great thing, if you happen to own a ten year old VW in addition to your '06 Passat.

Here's a linkie to that pamphlet:
    Choosing the Right OIl for your 1998-2006 VW

Excerpt:

Because of this fact, Volkswagen strongly recommends that you use synthetic-based oil that complies with Volkswagen oil quality standard VW 502 00 as a replacement lubricant. Whether you use synthetic or petroleum-based engine oil, the oil that you use must conform to Volkswagen oil quality standard VW 502 00 in order to help keep your vehicle’s engine running smoothly and help prevent the formation of harmful sludge and deposits that can lead to expensive repairs. At the time of printing, all of the engine oils Volkswagen is aware of that meet the exacting Volkswagen oil quality standard are synthetic-based.
    BTW, this grade of Mobil 1, per their website and the label on the bottle, meets the following specs:

VW 502.00/505.00/503.01

I just bought a 6 pack at Advance Auto for $4.77/quart. I'll be bringing 4 along with me to the dealer tomorrow for my 6 month/5,000 mile oil change. My total cost should be somewhere around $52 including the oil, the labor, big filter, and disposal fee.

Not a bad price, IMHO. And I can watch the tech pour the stuff in, if I want. Sure beats $95.
    don't you need 5qt with larger oil filer? 4qt goes to engine and 1qt into the filter.

Krzys

PS It is probably 4.5 to be exact but take 5qt. Pour 4 and then top off.
    I do the top-off at home. Prevents overfills at the dealer...
  • tamedmundstamedmunds Member Posts: 2
    I did not realize that they would let you bring your own oil. I'll try that and see what they say. Thanks!
    Dunno if every dealer will do it. Make sure if you bring oil that it is, in fact, 502.00 compliant. Really, you need to check the prices to decide if it's worth the aggravation. My dealer uses Agip oil in 5w-40. It's 502.00 compliant, but I prefer to stick with Mobil 1.

For the sake of keeping your sludge warranty intact, I strongly recommend that you keep all receipts for any oil purchased outside of the dealership. Further, make sure the dealer marks on their work order and receipt that the oil you brought was 502.00 compliant.

Save all of your receipts! They're worth their weight in gold if sludge (actually coked) oil raises its ugly head. Don't give VWoA any leeway in this area. Apparently they will jump on any lapse in documentation to deny coverage if at all possible.

Personally, I keep all my receipts like they're the sacred text from some religion.
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    My dealer lets me bring my own oil (they know I'm a stickler for proper maintenance and buy the proper VW 502.00 spec oil).
    I'd be interested in knowing what oil are you using.
  • miamivwmiamivw Member Posts: 2
    2000 Passat - V6 - 2.8L - GLX - 83000 miles

First time DIY'er, I was tired of the 1.5hr wait and $40+ charge at jiffy lube (not to mention the $40 air filter they keep trying to sell me).

Well, I read up on some how to articles here at edmunds and read the manual then droped $80 on tools and supplies. It was not hard to do. I spilled some oil but I'll do alot better next time. I had the DIY aurora going on all day.

Problem is that after I put in the oil I reread the manual and it says to use 5w-30 where yesterday it said 10w-40 :)
    I put in 4 qts and got the big filter so I think I'm about 3 qts short. I figure I'll drive it to the shop (3 miles) and add 5w-30.

Questions-

1- How many qts does this engine take with the big filter?

2- I live in Miami where the "coolest" it gets at night is about 80 deg. During the day it's about 90. It cools off a little more in Dec and Jan though. Is it ok to have 10w-40 in the engine?

3- is it ok to mix the viscosities like I'm planning?
    Your manual will specify how much oil your engine should require with and without a filter change, your dipstick will tell the tale from there.

Regarding the oil you've used, ummm, I don't recall any 10W-40 oils currently on the market that meet the minimum spec VW 502.0 standard. I'm thinking that you might want to pick up yet another filter and some 502.0 (or better) compliant oil and do the oil change again. Were I in your shoes I'd pop for some Mobil 1 0W-40, an oil that meets all currently published standards (502.0 as well as the much more stringent 503.1) for VW gasoline engines.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    > I'd be interested in knowing what oil are you using.

Castrol Syntec 5W40 - the same one my dealer uses, except that I'm paying $5.40/qt at AutoZone as opposed to $7.00+/qt at the dealership. I use this oil on all three of my VWs. My 1997 Jetta has 189,000 on the original engine - and it doesn't burn any oil.
    Assuming that your Jetta isn't a turbocharged version, the Castrol Syntec 5W-40 should work fairly well. That having been said, Castrol "Synthetic" isn't a true synthetic, it is in fact a hydrocracked crude oil. The only Castrol (sold here in the U.S.A.) that is fully synthetic is the German made (as in "Made in Germany" printed clearly on the label) Castrol Syntec 0W-30.

Said another way, if your engine is normally aspirated, then an oil that meets the VW 502.00 oil standard (i.e. Castrol Syntec 5W-40) is okay, however, if you have a blown engine, an oil that meets the significantly more stringent VW 503.01 is highly recommended. FWIW, off the top of my head, the only two oils that I know of that are certified to meet the 503.01 standard are the aforementioned Castrol Syntec 0W-30 and Mobil 1 0W-40.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks for the tip, Shipo. I'll keep an eye for Castrol Syntec 0w30 (I've made it a point not to send my dollars to ExxonMobil - a.k.a. The ExxoMob after they nearly ruined my wife's car (and many others) by filling one of their fuel tanks with cleaning fluid instead of premium gasoline)....
    Check Auto Zone for Catrol Syntec 0w-30. Make sure you read the label, though, for origin.
  • jkohlerjkohler Member Posts: 3
    I have just purchased an 07 VW Passat Sedan with the 2.0T. Any recommendation as to which brand and model number oil filter I should use?
    Any insight would be appeciated
    >Any recommendation as to which brand and model number oil filter I should use?

This is another area (besides the motor oil) where you should not take the cheap route. Using the VW factory (MANN) oil filters (the type your dealership uses) is highly recommended. The difference between the MANN filters and the majority of aftermarket filters (with a couple of exceptions) is night and day.

For example, the MANN filters incorporate an internal anti-drainback valve (prevents dirty motor oil from flowing back into the engine when you turn off the motor) and bypass
    valve (which aids in regulating the engine's oil pressure) - both consist of a spring-loaded steel ball bearing design.

The aftermarket filters tend to use rubber bypass valves and anti-drainback valves, and tend to be of a cheaper construction overall.

Here's a link to one of many interesting oil filter comparisons: http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html
    Select the "German Filters" link at the top of the page for the German oil filter comparisons.

Here's another interesting link about motor oils and filters:
    http://www.boss302.com/oil.htm

MANN oil filters are the only filters I will use on my three VWs. I learned my lesson after years of using the aftermarket stuff on other cars. Case in point - when I purchased my 1997 Jetta (as a commuter car) three years ago, I used the aftermarket filters for the first couple of months, and found myself periodically topping off the oil level. Once I switched to the MANN filters, the engine hasn't consumed a drop of oil since - and still doesn't - even at 190,000 miles.

Using the right oil and filter will go a long way towards enhancing the longevity of your auto.

HTH, and best of luck... :shades:
    Thanks for the link. ;-)

As per usual Patrick Bedard is a day late and a dollar short in his reporting. The vast majority of the factoids as he's written them are both widely known (in automotive circles anyway) and nearly ten years old. Castrol, contrary to his article, does in fact use a full PAO base on one (and only one) oil sold here in the U.S.A, namely German made Castrol Syntec 0W-30. Mobil, Amsoil and others make complete lines of fully synthetic oils using a PAO base.

Where I personally draw the line is the gap between a manufacturer "claiming" that an oil meets any given standard and oils that are "certified" to meet those standards. For my money I like oils that are certified to meet the BMW LL-01 and VW/Audi 503.01 standards. Period, full stop, the end. To the best of my knowledge, the only two oils sold here in the States that are certified to meet those specifications are the German made Castrol Syntec 0W-30 and Mobil 1 0W-40. With that thought in mind, those are the only oils I ever recommend (except when I'm talking with somebody who has a DaimlerChrysler MDS Hemi which requires a 5W-20 or 0W-20 for the MDS to work properly), and the only oil I use in the half a dozen cars I maintain is Mobil 1 0W-40.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I am under the impression that the new 2.0T engine takes a cartridge type filter, on a screw-on type like the older 1.8T did.

As evidence, I offer: http://runithard.com/HOWTO-2006PASSATOIL/core.html

Look at the filter element in the pictures.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    It's good that the information keeps reappearing, though. People who weren't interested earlier may be interested now.

Thanks, 600golfgt. It's a helpful addition to this discussion.
    Did you notice that the article is dated November 2000?

Krzys