Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat Oil Changes & Issues

Comments

• altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    Need more info. How many receipts did you provide? Who did the oil changes (dealer, indy, DIY)? What kind of oil was used - full synth meeting VW specs for your engine? What was the oil change interval?

Good luck with your case.
  • vwdawgvwdawg Member Posts: 162
    yippyburst: shipo is probably correct...VW might be within their rights IF the proper synthetic was not used. But altair is also correct, more info is needed. It seems pretty bizarre that your engine should fail, or even sludge buildup occuring, at such low mileage. If either the dealer or other shop did the changes, and didn't use the proper spec'd oil, it would seem that you would have recourse against them. Let us know what pops... vwdawg
  • dondavidedondavide Member Posts: 1
    I read here that M1 0w40 is made in the Fatherland and links to M1 website that says it is 503.01, but when I was at W-Mart a few weeks ago on only said 502.00/505.00, no 503.01 and said made in USA from domestic and imported components. Also, for Passat M1 ESP 504.00/507.00 can be used, 504 superceeds all below for gas specs and ALLEGEDLY 507.00 is that for diesel, although w/PD cam issues 505.01 has more additives so many are sticking w/ that (like Pentosynth HP 5w-40)
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Per a VW correspondence sent to me a year or so back, the 503.01 specification has been dropped by VW. As for the oil specs required for gasoline fired VW engines sold in the U.S., 502.00 is now the minimum spec. That said, for the latest two generations of VW diesel engines, oil that meets the 506/507 spec is required (and a bit difficult to come by here in the States).
  • greatmac27greatmac27 Member Posts: 1
    My '06 sounds like its gonna take off and fly when you start it up. All kinds of loud ticking clicking and knocking. It stops once you put in in gear (reverse or drive)
    But to reply to your post DO NOT TRY TO DO ANYTHING TO YOUR CAR.
    Only thing I have had success chaning is the headlights and wiper blades.
    The oil is impossible for me change. If I had the arms of a 6 yr old I might be able to get to the filter. The enormous skid plate is in the way of everything.
    The brakes are without a doubt a dealership job. Here is my story.
    50k miles and my breaks are squelling like there is a hog getting its hoofs removed behind the wheels. I get the car up on the jack, remove the tires, remove the caliper and the S#!+ hits the fan. The calipers are electronically controlled to retract, the old C-Clamp trick to squeeze em back in will not work. DONT TRY IT.
    Secondly, since i had the caliper off I tried to remove the caliper carrier since I was going to have to change the rotor. I thought it was very weird only one side was chewed up but oh well I was determined to fix it. Next problem is that the caliper carrier requires a TRIPLE SQUARE to remove it from the arm. ( I cant remember off the top of my head what mm size the thing is) Good luck finding a triple square anywhere close to where you live. I bought mine off the internet.
    Now assuming you have the all the tools to get this far, you will need to hook up your laptop to your car. Then you need the software to communicate with your car to open the caliper piston so you can put the new pads in. OMG what a debacle
  • tdi_tantdi_tan Member Posts: 60
    Oil change: The plastic skid plate is held by a bunch of torx screws. easily removeable. If you have a 2.0t, you need a 36mm socket wrench to remove the oil filter (but you need to drain it first)-- not very hard to do
  • laottomanlaottoman Member Posts: 16
    That certainly explains why I couldn't find the 503.1 on the oil when I went looking. Thanks for the info Shipo. :)
  • infinity4infinity4 Member Posts: 6
    I have had nothing but troubles with my Passat. Bought new in Aug 2007, it currently has 30K miles. Most recently experienced the "oil pressure" light and warning. I called the dealer immediately to see what to do, they recommended I bring car in ASAP. I was working that morning, drove to work, checked my oil. Keep in mind, my oil change had 2 months/2K miles left.....the dipstick read NO OIL!!! To my surprise, I checked it several more times. Took it in to the dealer the next day, they recommended an oil consumption test. I brought the car back in 630 miles like they requested and it was determined that my car is using .71 qts per 1000 miles. They indicated that is well within the guidelines for my vehicle and that it is "industry standard". I find that hard to believe. In a post I just read, someone mentioned that they wrote the dealer and worked out some kind of deal of trading and buying a different vehicle.....I would like to ask more details regarding this......thanks!
    A few points:

1) Yes, the defacto "Industry Standard" for oil consumption is in fact one quart per thousand miles. I think that's wrong, but the auto companies don't give a darn what I think. :mad:

2) The 2.0T FSI engine in your car is notorious for oil consumption, that's the bad news; the good news is that there is a relatively inexpensive and easy fix for the problem. Going from memory here, the FSI engine (as opposed to the newer 2.0T TSI) has a funky crank-case breather system (kind of a high-tech PCV system) that is failure prone, and when it fails, oil starts finding its way into the intake plenum of the engine. VW has redesigned the parts involved a couple of times and you should have no problem having your dealer replace the parts under warranty, that and there are a number of aftermarket companies that make even more robust parts (the drawback with aftermarket parts is that you have to pony up for them yourself instead of having them covered under warranty).

Keep us posted.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Hi Shipo: Can we assume that the so-called "industry standard" was developed by "the industry"? Sounds like a crock of BS, as most cars that I've owned go through very little oil, if any, between routine oil changes. I would be pretty disgusted with this situation, especially considering that the 0W-40 or other approved synthethic for this vehicle runs around $7.00 per litre. Hope infinity4 finds some sort of acceptable solution here. The really annoying part of this whole deal is that a solution (yours) can be found on a forum, but the dealership itself seems to be totally oblivious. vwdawg
    I think "developed by the industry" is a bit charitable, to say the least. My take on the whole 1qt (or liter) per thousand miles (or sixteen-hundred kilometers) thing is that GM kinda-sorta drew that line in the sand when their (then) new Northstar engine became known as an oil burner, and that was the threshold where they would agree to do something about the consumption issue. Once that metric became known in "the industry", it spread pretty quickly, hence my comment that it is the "defacto standard".

Is it a good or even appropriate standard? I don't believe so.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Hey VWDAWG and SHIPO, Thank you so much for taking the time to post about my situation. You both seem to be very knowledgeable about this issue. I will keep you posted as to the outcome. I assume that using aftermarket parts would VOID my warranty? I will see what the dealership says and how they will make this right!!

Thanks again!!
    edited April 2010
    No, aftermarket parts won't void your warranty per se, however, the part(s) that are replaced by the aftermarket part(s) will obviously be outside the warranty, and if the dealership can prove that the aftermarket part caused any downstream damage, then those parts will no longer be covered under warranty as well. Personally I'd lean on the dealer to keep replacing the parts until A) he gets it right, or B) the warranty runs out.

Keep us posted. :)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • needashowerneedashower Member Posts: 39
    Hi Shipo,

Does the 2010's 2.0s(i.e., Passat, CC) suffer from oil consumption or has this been sorted out on the current models?
    The "new" EA-888 engine (a complete ground-up redesign) made its debut in some 2008.5 models and I've yet to hear of even a single oil consumption complaint from anyone with that engine. Said another way, the available anecdotal evidence suggests that the issue does not exist with 2009 and 2010 2.0T engines. ;)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • rosie11rosie11 Member Posts: 6
    I inherited this 2005 Passat. First oil change after I got it was synthetic, second for some reason service station used a generic. After about 3000 miles the oil pressure light came on. Dealer said I (well, not personally) have 'internal sludge' caused by the generic oil at last change. Dealer then did oil change and lo and behold I notice they used a generic oil(an hour after telling me generic oil had caused my sludge. Called Service manager who said synthetic is recommended but not a MUST. He said Passats around 2002-2004 had sludge problems. I don't know who to believe. They said to clean out the engine if the oil pressure light comes on again would be $1500. One guy at the dealer says sludge was caused by generic oil, but then does an oil change and doesn't use synthetic? HELP!
    Is this Passat with the 1.8T engine? If it is, I'd be giving VWoA a call about the non-synthetic oil change and explaining the whole situation. THere's no excuse - synth is mandatory - VW issued a special notice to change the owner's manual specifically to address this. THe oil used MUST meet VW Spec 502.00. And there aren't that manty that do - Mobil 1 0w-40 is what I use.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/Altair4/502Supplement1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/Altair4/502Supplement2.jpg
    No ifs, ands, or buts about it, VW (as in VW corporate, not the idiots at your dealership) says that you absolutely must-must-must use not only a synthetic oil, but a synthetic oil that is certified to meet the stringent VW 502.00 oil specification. As altair4 correctly stated, Mobil 1 0W-40 is one of the few oils out there (and the one that I use as well); in addition, you can use Castrol Syntec 0W-30 or Castrol Syntec 5W-40. Beyond those three (the most easily found in your local auto parts store), I believe that Valvoline, Pennzoil, and Quaker State each advertise exactly one oil in their respective product lines that meets said 502.00 oil spec; that said, I've yet to see even one of those three on the shelves of any of my local stores.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    I see Valvoline's 5w-40 Synpower, that meets 502.00, at all of my local NAPA stores. If they don't have it, they can get it in a day or so. I've used it on occasion. Like you, I have never, ever, seen a 502.00 oil from Pennzoil or QS, other than on their respective websites.
    Interesting, our local NAPAs only carry Mobil 1 0W-40 when it comes to 502.00 oils. I wonder why.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Hi rosie11: Sorry to hear that you, as a new and uninformed Passat owner (and I assume 1.8T with the events you describe), have been sucked into that great and horrible vortex known as SLUDGE (GLAD to hear, however, that you are not personally afflicted with sludge!). altair4 and shipo are the recognized experts in this matter, and as they point out in their replies, there is absolutely NO substitute for the VW-approved, 502 spec synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 OW-40 (yes, I use it, too (2002 Passat, 1.8T). Sounds like your dealer has its own affliction, like perhaps a full-blown psychotic episode. Get away from there immediately. You state that you "inherited" this VW, but you don't say how many miles on it. It's difficult to believe that one 3,000 mile run on non-synthetic would cause a sludge buildup. Do you have any service records showing that the correct synthetic was used for all prior changes? If 0W-40 or similiar was used, you might have a case with VW. Good luck. vwdawg
  • lservelserve Member Posts: 50
    Thought I would share this positive dealer/vw experience regarding problems with oil consumption. Have '07 Passat - 2.0T, 50K M. After reading this thread and others have kept track of oil use (and kept those receipts!). Was consuming about 1Q/1400 miles until about 20K miles ago when miles/qt began to significantly deteriorate. Recently it was clocking no better than 1Q/700 m. After mentioning this to dealer, they immediately started an oil consumption test. 630 miles later when I returned car, and to my surprise, they promptly diagnosed excessive consumption. They contacted VWA and within that day, had run tests on the engine and then ordered replacement rings. Out of the shop in 3 days.

After reading some of the war stories here, I was ready for just about anything, but was really impressed with how professionally the situation was handled. Don't know if its an attempt to improve service, image, etc., but they really stepped up and did the right thing. Good way to keep customers.
  • jbeaver2jbeaver2 Member Posts: 4
    I'm going through yet another crisis with my 2000 passat due to engine sludge. I had the oil changed every 3-4k miles using whatever the store recommended.
    Bad move. Now my low pressure oil indicator light is coming on and I'm told that I needed to be using a special grade european oil and special oil filter to keep the oil from turning to sludge. I owned this car from new and the only info I received was a potential for sludging and recommended prompt oil changes. I was just told to use the full synthetic oil from my last garage visit.
    Well it looks like I'm taking my receipts to the various garages and asking for the spec's on the oil they used and if it does not meet what VW insists is to be used, I'm asking for a full refund or they can pay a portion of my engine cleaning bill.
    Ok, back to reality.............I've been taken by all the garages and shame on me for not having Masters Degree in chemistry and relying on people that do this for a living to supply the right product for the cars that they work on.
  • srn3srn3 Member Posts: 20
    Hi,

I was hoping someone could tell me what the correct oil change interval is for an 07 2.0T Passat is. Begining 2010 I use the car sparingly (once a week for about 100 miles). I had my last oil change at 34,500 miles in January '10 and am currently at 36,500 miles in July '10. When I would use the car on a daily basis I would always get oil changes done every 5,000 miles. However, given my limited use starting this year, I am not sure if sticking to the 5,000 mile rule is the way to go. Since it would take me 1 year to log 5,000 miles, I am bit sceptical to having the oil changed only once a year. Does anyone have any thoughts on if I should stick to the 5,000 mile rule or is it advisable to get an oil change done every 3 or 6 months irrespective of miles.

SN
    Given that the factory OCI for your car is 10,000 miles, and given that oil that meets the VW 502.00 oil specification is so stable that even a year in an engine will not see it degrade (assuming the mileage doesn't reach the 10,000 mile threshold), you're probably good to go for changing your oil every other year. :)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    If you get 100 mile a week in a few long trips instead of many short ones (so engine oil gets to operating temperature and boils off the water) then I think you should go by milage. However, if you do not reach operating temperature during the week it is probably good idea to change oil more often (even twice a year) or go for 1 hour ride monthly.

Just an opinion.

Krzys
  • hardeepthindhardeepthind Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,
    I have an 02 Passat v6 2.8L manual, with about 78K miles. This is my wifes car, and we've been keeping up with the standard maintenance at a nearby shop (not a dealer). Recently, wife claimed 2x instances of loss of power. No check engine light. One instance happened in parking structure, with dash screaming "STOP".... Mechanic looked at it both times and said that there were no error codes but that oil was very low and engine gas was near E. I've driven car for few weeks with no issue, but have noticed that it is starting to consume a lot of oil. Read something on earlier post about an oil consumption test @ a dealer and rings being replaced.... Any ideas of what might be going on? :confuse: I'd appreciate any pointers!
    Thanks,
    Hardeep
  • jbeaver2jbeaver2 Member Posts: 4
    I'm not a mechanic but I do own an '01 Passat and looking at my past repair bills and reading about other VW owners problems I suggest you look a trading the car before you really start throwing money at it. Did you get a message with the STOP saying Low Oil Pressure? Are you using a full synthetic motor oil? Do you have an oil leak at the rear of the engine? Buy the way, have you replaced the timing belt and the water pump? Probably due. How about changing the plugs, should be every 40K miles.
    Hey all.....

I have some more news on my 2007 Passat 2.0T.
    On Aug. 2nd, my "STOP" low oil pressure light came on again. I called the dealership and they advised me to have my car towed to the shop. I have to have my Husband go into the dealership to insist that they contact VW to see what they were going to do, since this was the 2nd time this has happened and the would only run the consumption test, as we all know that was .7 qts per 1000 miles, UNACCEPTABLE TO ME!!!!! THIS IS A 2007 PASSAT WITH NOW 37k MILES.......anyway, they were given the okay to remove the valve cover from the motor and found that there was a crack in it, in a seam, so they have replaced that. They insist that this is the cure to the problem, however they want me to keep checking the oil about every 1000 miles and report any low levels. Also, they have informed me that this is a problem that is JUST NOW coming to light, whatever, I have been complaining of this issue for MONTHS! So, hopefully this is the cure all and I won't have any other issues, time will tell.
  • kaynipkaynip Member Posts: 1
    hi.i have a passat 1.9 tdi estate.i need to top my engine oil up.which is the best oil to use.im from the uk.thanks a lot
  • travisd81travisd81 Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone I could really use some help with my VW. The Passat oil leak I have is NOT at the front of the engine per say like near any pulleys ...rather the front of the CAR on the SIDE of the engine. Its leaking from a round unit next to the oil filter spin-on housing. I just dont know what that unit is called. It appears to spin off with a 1''hex fitting at the forward facing end. My cd manual wont be here for 5-7 days yet. I cant find ANY engine pictures online to identify components. Any other ideas?
    travisd: Have you looked more closely to determine if if might be leaking from the valve cover gasket and then seeping down to that "round unit" you speak of? You don't mention which engine you have, but oil leaks can be tricky, so a good work light and a "dentist's mirror" might yield a better diagnosisof the source. vwdawg
    Agreed, we need to know the year, model and/or engine of the car in question before we can formulate an educated guess as to what the problem is.

From memory I can count nearly ten different and distinct engines since the Passat first reached our shores in the mid 1990s.
    the engine is a 2.8 ltr. VR6
    sorry its a 1994
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    my 97 Passat VR6 did not have spin on oil filter but a cartridge.

Krzys
    I believe all VR6 motors of that era had the cartridge style oil filter; I know my 1995 Passat did. :)
  • vwhellvwhell Member Posts: 2
    Have 2007 Passat, have 58K, Still under 5 year/60K mile Powertrain Warranty--had oil changed and light came on stating Low Oil pressure immediately followed by Stop engine light (only 30 miles after oil change)....Car immediately stops--have car towed to Dealership, they now states warranty is void b/c of wrong oil used. Currently now need a new engine per VW, have rental car bills, a car note, and a hugh HEADACHE- Correct oil was used by the standards in the manual; however I have now sought legal counsel and if anybody has exeprienced the same Engine failure by no fault of their own and the dealership refuses to arbitrate, then join me and let's hold the right party responsible :mad:
    edited October 2010
    A few questions:

- What do you call "Correct oil?"
    - Where did you have the oil changed?
    - Do you have the receipts?

If you had your dealership or a reputable shop change your oil then you should have receipts that show a 502.00 certified oil was used at least every 10,000 miles (after the first 5,000 mile oil change). Assuming you have said receipts, then there is no need to go to all of the trouble of starting a class (probably wouldn't get you much anyway); simply confront the dealership with the evidence and demand they spell out in writing why they're denying your warranty coverage.

Keep us posted,
    I couldn't have said it any better, Shipo. This should be interesting...
    Hello, vwhell: As usual, shipo and altair4 provide the best overviews of the VW oil change issue. Yes, the "correct oil" is 502.00 VW spec (Mobil 1 0W-40, etc.) and nothing else will do. If indeed the proper oil was used, then we have to wonder what planet your dealer is from. In addition to shipo's questions, one has to ask how they arrived at the "need new engine" diagnosis. Did they do a preliminary teardown to determine what was actually going on? Did they even ask for proof of type of oil used? I'm not a big fan of VW dealerships, and have read forum stories of even those shops using incorrect oil! I find it difficult to believe that one or two oil changes with the wrong oil would sludge your engine, but if it turns out that the wrong oil has been used all along, THEN you will want to have your attorney contact your oil change provider and advise them that they will be paying for your new engine. Unfortunately, non-VW specialty shops are notorious for using the wrong oil, and furthermore, do not specify on their work orders what exact oil was used. However, if they are charging you only $20 or $30 for a change and filter, it's a sure bet that they used your basic, out-of-the-barrel, non-502.00 oil. Good luck, and please let everyone know what goes down here. vwdawg
  • futures1futures1 Member Posts: 1
    I am new to this forum. I just purchased an 08 VW Passat Wagon. I want to change the oil & filter, but can't even see the oil filter or drain plug. My previous veh was a VW Jetta TDI, no problem there, but I would like to avoid breaking something when I attempt this procedure on the Passat. All I see are covers over the motor :o(

Where can I find the info on how to proceed here ? Thank you
    Assuming you have a 2.0T engine; which version do you have? Asked another way, does your engine say "FSI" or "TSI" on the engine cover?
  • mckautomckauto Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2007 passat wagon and it just turned 90,000 miles. I am the original owner and had the car serviced on a regular basis. Recently the engine light came on and the problem was a worn cam, replaced that and the dealer was helpful and gave me a discount on the labor. Called VW of N.A. And they did not offer anything. They explained that since the dealer offer assistance, they felt that was enough. In all my years owning a car, not once did I have to replace a cam? Unless it was a racing cam! Now I am being told I need to change the timing belt. Also, I am a getting the bell and stop engine low oil pressure light....I have schedule service, but wondering is this the best thing to do or is it time to sell? Car is clean and runs well? :confuse:
    mckauto: 90,000 miles and have not changed the timing belt? You're drivin' a time bomb...that belt could go at any time and your engine will likely be toast. In fairness to any prospective buyers who are not familiar with TB issues, you should probably change it prior to selling, or at least advise them that it must be done like yesterday! Also, the "STOP ENGINE - Low Oil Pressure"...potentially serious problem! You state "car serviced on a regular basis". Who did the service, and do you know what type of oil was used? Unless a VW 502.00 spec oil was used, you may now have other serious problems, particularly if you have a 1.8T engine. I hate to bring more bad news, but your engine may be sludging up due to wrong oil being used. That may also explain the failed cam, which could have resulted from incorrect oil. Take your baby to a good independent VW shop immediately and have them check everything out...otherwise your problems may get worse. vwdawg
    The 1.8T engine wasn't offered in the '07 model year. It may be the 2.0T, though. Your comment on sludging may be right on.

My question to mckauto is: Who performed the oil changes over the time you owned the car? Do you have the receipts for all of the changes? See what spec oil was used. If the dealer did the changes, and used incorrect oil, I think you still have something to talk about with both the dealer and with VWoA.
  • gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    Are these issues common to the Passat and other VW products using the 2.0 turbo? I was considering the purchase of a VW Passat wagon (left over 2010 model for a great price), but with comments like this...it has me more than concerned.
    No, the 2010 engine is a completely redesigned unit (they started trickling out of the factory in some 2008.5 models and were in all 2009 and later 2.0T cars). As I understand it, the new engine is quite robust with exceedingly few issues.
  • photodad3855photodad3855 Member Posts: 11
    Drive VERY SLOWLY to your VW dealer and have the timing belt replaced ASAP. I had over 97,000 miles on my '03 Passat. I had not replaced the timing belt.
    It broke while I was on the highway. STOP light came on. Towed to a dealer. Engine was fried. Engine replacement costs were higher than the car was worth (plus they offered only 3-6 month warranty on the replacement engine and no warranty on the labor). So I sold it to a used junkcar dealer.
    Don't make the same mistake -- get it fixed right away! Good luck!!
  • qpsqps Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    I am having the same problem with my 2006 Passat.I have 61,000 miles on the car. Car wouldn't start over the weekend, had it towed to dealership. They say, engine seized, give us your oil change receipts. I bought the car used in the end of 2007. Since then I have had the oil changed every 5000 miles. I sent in the receipts but 3 of the 6 were probably done with regular oil.
    My pre-owned warranty is in question..So, service manager says he is "going to bat for me", in discussions with VW, and I should know by the end of today. They have not taken the car apart, so I don't even know what is wrong with the engine.
    I do know that the cam shaft failed last year and was replaced. I am freaking out, obviously this will be a huge expense if I have to pay.